Clinton: Obama didn’t know what to do about the economic crisis

posted at 7:25 pm on October 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

Via the College Politico, FNC picks up the ball and runs for daylight. Memo to the Foxies: No one knows what to do about the economic crisis. Maverick himself sagely kept his cards on the bailout close to the vest for days after returning to D.C. last month. No less a figure than Alan Greenspan admits to having misjudged the situation so badly that it’s forced him to question the economic philosophy he’s held for 40 years. Only The One’s most devout cultists would expect him to try to read tea leaves like these without input from advisors. Which means, all other things being equal, that this piece is idiotic.

But things aren’t equal. Imagine how this would be received if it were a Republican talking about Palin:

“I haven’t cleared this with him and he may even be mad at me for saying this so close to the election, but I know what else he said to his economic advisers (during the crisis),” Clinton told the crowd at a Wednesday night rally with Obama in Florida. “He said, ‘Tell me what the right thing to do is. What’s the right thing for America? Don’t tell me what’s popular. You tell me what’s right — I’ll figure out how to sell it.’”

Clinton said when the crisis broke, Obama called his own advisers as well as those of the former two-term president, Hillary Clinton, Warren Buffet and others.

“He called those people. You know why? Because he knew it was complicated and before he said anything he wanted to understand,” Clinton said. “That’s what a president does in a crisis.”

The seeming praise may come off as a backhanded compliment, especially since Obama repeatedly accuses McCain of admitting he doesn’t know much about the economy. McCain’s campaign said Clinton’s remark shows Obama was uncertain when Wall Street seemed to be on the verge of crumbling.

“Barack Obama had no idea what the right thing to do is or at least that’s Bill Clinton’s impression,” McCain spokesman Michael Goldfarb said.

Read the whole thing, if only for Goldfarb’s one-liner at the end. Or better yet, read Baseball Crank’s post from last week about Obama’s handling of the bailout saga, as it’s a much sharper critique. Exit question: One last poke in the eye from Billy Jeff on McCain’s behalf or much ado about nothing?

Comments

Billy Jeff hates this upstart prig.

Get him, B.J.!

profitsbeard on October 30, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Uh, er, Bill…I uh, know you want to help, but uh, could you go back..to Chappaqua?

hawkdriver on October 30, 2008 at 7:28 PM

This season is making me really like the Clintons.

Lehosh on October 30, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Eh what does Clinton have to lose his self respect or the respect of his party ?

William Amos on October 30, 2008 at 7:28 PM

I’m sure if BHO wins Clintoon with living in a shed behind the White House. (Visiting with interns no doubt)

Claypigeon on October 30, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Not the last, far from it.

Speakup on October 30, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Err that’s what I’d want a president to do. I dont see how that hurts him.

Dash on October 30, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Billy Jeff on McCain’s behalf or much ado about nothing?

I choose the former vs the latter. BC never forgets.
I saw this quote earlier and I knew it would end up here.
At least I hoped it would… ;)

AnthonyK on October 30, 2008 at 7:33 PM

SNORT!

upinak on October 30, 2008 at 7:33 PM

go go B.J.! help us PUMAs in putting the final nails in the Barry campaign’s coffin!

Noneya on October 30, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Aside from Clinton’s back-handed compliment, a couple of thoughts:

First, I doubt the Obama/Clinton conversation ever happened.

Second, if the conversation really did happen, is it really a positive for Obama that Obama thinks Bill Clinton would know what the “right thing for America” is?

Third, why would Obama trust Clinton anyway? What a sucker.

Fourth, I bet they’re already printing the “Hillary ’12″ buttons and bumper stickers.

Kenrod on October 30, 2008 at 7:34 PM

LOL! Keep it up Bill! Operation Chaos lives!

CP on October 30, 2008 at 7:36 PM

The Clintons will get their revenge one way or another.

Obama’s New Party membership is being covered on Lou Dobbs Tonight. Stanley Kurtz is the guest. Kurtz says he believes Obama is a socialist because of his New Party membership and radical beliefs.

Philly on October 30, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Me thinks,Obama has said,”give me a call if you need me”!

And,as Biden would say,’Clinton,gawd love him’!

Bill Clinton is on a roll,and I really liked the
‘Fairy Tale’ comment awhile back!!!

Hillary’s Revenge,he he!

canopfor on October 30, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Bingo.

Goddammit, I hate defending this little Marxist.

MadisonConservative on October 30, 2008 at 7:38 PM

Hillary and Bill, campaigning for Obama. Hahahahahahahahaha!

GarandFan on October 30, 2008 at 7:38 PM

One last poke. Barry’s going down.

ManlyRash on October 30, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Exit question: One last poke in the eye from Billy Jeff on McCain’s Hilary’s behalf or much ado about nothing?

He isn’t doing this for McCain.

Disturb the Universe on October 30, 2008 at 7:39 PM

*Klintonese*

Hey y’know what poor Barry had no idea what to do so he came to the smartest man in the room me, and I showed him where to look for answers….

sven10077 on October 30, 2008 at 7:39 PM

You tell me what’s right — I’ll figure out how to sell it.

“I’ll send a letter, yeah, a letter. Or keep my phone turned on.”

What a slacker.

tru2tx on October 30, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Imagine how this would be received if it were a Republican talking about Palin

Exactly. The Lefties would be yukking it up.

SAZMD on October 30, 2008 at 7:41 PM

He isn’t doing this for McCain. – Disturb the Universe on October 30, 2008 at 7:39 PM

He doesn’t think he is. But he is. And for Palin, who will be the 45th president of the United States.

ManlyRash on October 30, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Question: the economic crisis had a large window of opportunity to respond to, which gave various people time to consult with advisors, about what to do about it; What if it was a different kind of crisis, one with a very small time window to deal with it, what would the future president do then?

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on October 30, 2008 at 7:43 PM

Typical backhanded compliment. Like telling your wife, “Gee Hun, that pants suit makes your ass look so much smaller!”

hawkdriver on October 30, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Of course he didn’t know what to do. He’s a lawyer that sees the world through a Marxist prism.

I also like how he didn’t bother to consult any fiscal conservatives or actual financial experts.

Riposte on October 30, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Abso-freakin-lutely. Yes, of course we want a president who’s willing to get solid advise from the “experts” (not that there are any in this situation, which you pointed out). But Billy Jeff just planted a knife in Obama’s back. And dipped it in rat poison. There were many different ways he could have made his point. This has venom all over it.

nukemhill on October 30, 2008 at 7:45 PM

I doubt anyone in Washington knows what to do.

modnar on October 30, 2008 at 7:45 PM

True to the saying…With friends like that who needs enemies…Bill Clinton is a classic, and that was a Bill classic.

right2bright on October 30, 2008 at 7:46 PM

ManlyRash on October 30, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Manly, finished with the intro yet?

upinak on October 30, 2008 at 7:46 PM

Memo to the Foxies: No one knows what to do about the economic crisis.

That’s just flat out wrong.

TheBigOldDog on October 30, 2008 at 7:48 PM

And for Palin, who will be the 45th president of the United States.

Yeah, and Elvis lives down the street from me.

nazo311 on October 30, 2008 at 7:49 PM

You would have thought Joe Biden said that.

nazo311 on October 30, 2008 at 7:50 PM

Obama never sold anything so I guess his advisers didn’t know what to do either.

blink on October 30, 2008 at 7:49 PM

Oh, he sold the country quite a bill of goods.

hawkdriver on October 30, 2008 at 7:50 PM

Yeah, and Elvis lives down the street from me.

nazo311 on October 30, 2008 at 7:49 PM

If I send you an album would you get his to sign it for me?

hawkdriver on October 30, 2008 at 7:51 PM

You’re gonna give me a complex Allah. This isn’t new. Clinton said this a couple of weeks ago. 5 minutes after he said it I sent it to the Hot Air tips email. I even mentioned it here several times.

Waaaaaaaaaaaa!

lol

csdeven on October 30, 2008 at 7:51 PM

Obama keeps shuts his wife up, shuts up Hillary, Palin gets in his face, runs from his Rev., runs from his terrorist buddies, one friend gets thrown in jail (two if you count the mayor of Detroit), runs into a plumber on the street, hides from the press, hides from all the media, locks Biden up, and out springs Bill…Obama must feel like the little Dutch boy trying to plug the holes…
Another week on the trail and we would see a cardboard cutout of Obama and a tape playing with 15,000 people in a stadium cheering.

right2bright on October 30, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Obama couldn’t sell a turd to a dung beetle to save his life.

Blah.. nothing to see here.

upinak on October 30, 2008 at 7:52 PM

csdeven on October 30, 2008 at 7:51 PM

Timing, it is all in the timing…

right2bright on October 30, 2008 at 7:54 PM

I thought Lewinsky got Billy Jeffs last eye poke…but lo and behold…..

malkinmania on October 30, 2008 at 7:55 PM

BJ is just trying to put the Jive Turkey in his place.

Does anyone else see a problem when the challenger is still polling under 50% after spending $600 million.

modnar

I doubt anyone in Washington knows what to do.

Being honest are we? The reason is there is no one in Washington who trusts the market to fix things. I think Sarah could get this economy fixed with her energy proposals.

tarpon on October 30, 2008 at 7:56 PM

Allah:

We can analyze this until the cows come home. Yes, its probably true that no one knew much of what to do. But to the average Joe the Plumber being told by a former president that Obama didn’t know what to do will resonate entirely differently.

johnsteele on October 30, 2008 at 7:57 PM

Obama couldn’t sell a turd to a dung beetle to save his life.

Blah.. nothing to see here.

upinak on October 30, 2008 at 7:52 PM

But he sure is selling bull$hit to morons isn’t he?

csdeven on October 30, 2008 at 7:59 PM

I want to know how Clinton answered him. Did he say “Keep on campaigning and they’ll call you if they need you?”

Kafir on October 30, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Disturb the Universe on October 30, 2008 at 7:39 PM

+1.

Thank you, Bill.

Y-not on October 30, 2008 at 7:59 PM

No one knows what to do about the economic crisis.

The problem is that people weren’t trying to solve the economic crisis. People were trying to come up with a magic solution that would allow a bunch of mistakes to be corrected without any pain.

It seems that most people would prefer a solution that dampens short-term pain by spreading the problem out over a longer period of time (and, through use of tax payer money, over a larger group of people) than allowing a severe, painful, but quick correction to happen.

JadeNYU on October 30, 2008 at 8:08 PM

Obama knows what to do. Raise taxes and increase spending.

Mark1971 on October 30, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Bill’s the gift that keeps on giving. Just like Biden! Biden’s just not smart, but nothing Bill Clinton says is an accident.

Oink on October 30, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Hmm, I fully expect BJ to show up outside the LA Times Bldg. and help with the protesting.

Conservative_SAHM on October 30, 2008 at 8:13 PM

Obama couldn’t sell a turd to a dung beetle to save his life. Blah.. nothing to see here. – upinak on October 30, 2008 at 7:52 PM

What a way with words you have. You ought to write a farking book.

ManlyRash on October 30, 2008 at 8:17 PM

Uh, please don’t put poke and Clinton in the same paragraph.
Of course Obama didn’t know what to do about the ecomonic crisis…he makes that painfully clear every time he opens his damn mouth.
I’m tired, my kidney hurts and I am SSSOOOO ready for this nightmare to be OVER!

HornetSting on October 30, 2008 at 8:19 PM

Obama needs to be ripped a new one with this even though I don’t blame him for being clueless. He’s been ripping McCain for his economic honesty so make this Obama’s nightmare.

econavenger on October 30, 2008 at 8:19 PM

Biden gave Bill the idea, All he has to do to sink Obama is just throw a few seemingly well intended, but damaging, “complements” and people will read right through it, leaving Bill innocent since it was well intentioned.

Brilliant.

Slick Willy strikes again.

javamartini on October 30, 2008 at 8:22 PM

Sorry Obama voters. Billy Jeff was already the first black President.

I wanna know what us non-welfare seekers are supposed to do with our day? We drive to work risking life and limb to earn a living while others can stay home and collect a check? Damn, how do I sign up for that?

johnnyU on October 30, 2008 at 8:23 PM

johnnyU on October 30, 2008 at 8:23 PM

Ann Coulter already said if Obama gets elected, she’s gonna go on the dole.

She’d rather do that than see her hard earned money go to couch-sitting, food stamp using, crack heads that don’t work.

HornetSting on October 30, 2008 at 8:25 PM

Obama’s Infomercial- Hope?

I vividly remember back when Gerald Ford was president in the 1970s and game one of the World Series was set to begin. I, like millions of other red-blooded American guys, was sitting in front of the TV, beer in hand and ready to watch the series begin.

Suddenly, without warning, the announcer broke in and announced that they were switching to Kansas City, Mo. for an “important” address by the President. So there we were, Gerald Ford was in KC giving a speech in front of the “Future Farmers of America”, a bunch of young men and women who I guess lived on farms.

As I sat there dumbfounded, I kept hoping that Ford’s speech would be brief and we could get on with the game. Instead, Ford (who was a terrible speaker on his best days) kept droning on about energy (there was an energy crisis in the country at that time). As the young people behind him started nodding off, and millions of beer cans were being hurled at millions of TVs around the country, Ford would not stop talking. He told us to turn off our lights. He read a letter sent to him from some old woman in Bullnuts, Iowa telling him how she would always turn off her lights whenever she left a room. Ford then told us to “clean our plates” (not let any food go to waste). Finally, after what seemed an eternity, Ford finished his speech and we got back to the game. I always figured that had a bit to do with his defeat to the hapless Jimmy Carter.

I was reminded of that day with Barack Obama’s infomercial that pushed back the start of the World Series game 15 minutes. I didn’t care much since the Series didn’t interest me much after my cursed Cubbies got swept out the playoffs in what was supposed to be “the year”. As a result, I didn’t watch the speech. I have heard that man’s voice enough to last a lifetime-with possibly 4-8 more years to come.

Reading the reviews, it seems Obama appeared in a room (or set) that somewhat resembled the Oval Office. He talked about certain individuals who are going through tough economic times and who are apparently looking to President Obama and his pals in government to ride to their rescue.

He also spoke of HOPE.

Well, at the expense of being the skunk at the garden party, I have something to say about that.

First of all, let’s rid ourselves of this liberal illusion that we are living in Bangladesh or Dickensian England. We are not. In spite of our present economic difficulties, we are still living in the greatest and most prosperous country in the world. And guess what? It wasn’t our government that made it the greatest and most prosperous country. It was the American people that did-in spite of government (and I say this as one who is a government retiree). If you are sitting around waiting for some president or some political party to make your life successful-you are already a loser.

You want to be successful? If you are working-keep working. The tough times will pass. If you are not working, get up off your duff and get a job. Everything is in place in this country for those people who have the will, the talent, the initiative and the ability to succeed. If you want to sit around and call yourself a victim, it will become a self-profilling prophesy.

Larry Elder, a black, conservative talk show host in LA, says it best, and he says it often: If you can finish high school, stay out of trouble with the law, and not have children before you are 18, you will not be poor in America. Is that a difficult proposition? Do you need government to accomplish that? Do you need a president to bring you hope?

Grow up people. There is only one person in America who is responsible for our success or failure in life, and that person is ourselves. Just because I will be voting for John McCain next week doesn’t mean I want or expect anything from him beyond protecting the country. I do not look to McCain to add anything to my life or well-being. I can do that for myself very well, thank you. All I ask government is to stay out of my life.

Which is exactly what this vain-glorious, socialist huckster named Obama will not do. He and his minions that he will bring into government will enter into all our lives. (Don’t believe me-ask Joe the Plumber.) And if 95% of you think he will not raise your taxes, you’re smoking your socks.

So, if Obama wins, hang onto your wallets-and HOPE for the best.

gary fouse
fousesquawk

gary fouse on October 30, 2008 at 8:27 PM

I thought Bush was Satan incarnate. Why did Barry vote to give him 700 billion dollars? Oh yeah, because neither him nor his entire party have any idea what they’re doing.

Darth Executor on October 30, 2008 at 8:32 PM

much ado about nothing

spmat on October 30, 2008 at 8:40 PM

I know what to do.

Just ask me.

Mcguyver on October 30, 2008 at 8:41 PM

I saw that on the news… heh.

With friends like that a person doesn’t need enemies. Obama must have pet names for all those surrounding him.

Brutus #1
Brutus #2
Brutus #3

etc….

Hog Wild on October 30, 2008 at 8:41 PM

The enemy of my enemy is my friend…today.

Jaibones on October 30, 2008 at 8:42 PM

I did not think it was possible, but I was wrong. Obama has managed to make Dan Quayle sound like JFK and George W. Bush look like Albert Einstein…all at the same time.

This is getting weird…

percysunshine on October 30, 2008 at 8:49 PM

gary fouse on October 30, 2008 at 8:27 PM,

Thanks for that confirmation.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why Axelrod and Plouffe, both avid baseball fans, would risk pissing off the center and left-of-center baseball loving Democrats!!

People I talked to today couldn’t believe the arrogance!!

Must be a first class dumb and desperate campaign team!!

Mcguyver on October 30, 2008 at 8:53 PM

That little story about Barry was just about the most UN-presidential behavior I’ve ever heard….Barry actually sounds like an inexperienced knob polisher. Oh wait.

John McCain: the man Bill AND Hillary will be voting for on November 4th.

btw, are the nutroots going wild about B.J.’s latest perfidy?

Let’s roll.

ex-Democrat on October 30, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Memo to the Foxies: No one knows what to do about the economic crisis.

That’s just flat out wrong.

TheBigOldDog on October 30, 2008 at 7:48 PM

AP is correct, there is no one on earth who knows a good solution to the current evolving systemic crisis we got ourselves into. Everyone is flying blind and pushing on strings because the magic buttons that used to work no longer work. The crisis was caused by the same people making the decisions to get us out of it. How’s that been working for us?

Experts Examine Future of Credit Crunch

The banking system, the way we have it, is a monstrous giant built on feet of clay. And if that topples, we’re gone.

Never in the history of the world have we faced so much complexity combined with so much incompetence and understanding of its properties.

Are economists to blame along with everyone else? Yep.

econavenger on October 30, 2008 at 9:03 PM

HornetSting:

I think Ann Coulter comes from old money, Ivy League. It is her money, but I doubt if it is all that hard earned. At least not for her.

Terrye on October 30, 2008 at 9:12 PM

It is true that no one really knows what to do, but if you listen to the talking heads there is not shortage of experts who seem to think they know what to do about the financial situation. And besides, Obama is selling himself as a savior, surely a savior has an answer for everything.

Terrye on October 30, 2008 at 9:14 PM

I know what we should have done.

NOTHING!

Fox reported this AM that 1/2 of the 50 billion that has been dispersed will go to paying DIVIDENDS to share holders and not to injecting money into the credit market.

We told you so you bailout shills!

csdeven on October 30, 2008 at 9:27 PM

I can’t believe the democratic party has faith in this guy to lead. Its some morbid bizzarre nightmare like when Biff took over in Back to Future II. I am hearing the chanting on the news breaks and one set of statistics and interpretation in one radio program, then a news break has total disinformation of whats actually going on. Folks we’re in a lot of trouble here. Even if he wins, theres hope its only temporary. I hope the democratic party suffers worse damage than what Clinton did to them. People forget the number of people who changed parties because of Clinton. Its scare season, and in Obamas case he only needs to come as himself.

johnnyU on October 30, 2008 at 9:28 PM

“That’s what a President does in a crisis.”

Was Clinton talking about getting a bl*w job?

D2Boston on October 30, 2008 at 9:29 PM

…ya gotta love Bill Clinton…the same way ya gotta love Jesse James and Alphonse Capone…villains with style….

…as many have already said…with friends like Bill….

Puritan1648 on October 30, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Strange bed fellows, indeed.

Hening on October 30, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Terrye on October 30, 2008 at 9:14 PM

True also, lots of people are trying to help the best they know how with ideas, but we’re still not getting to the bottom of the problem itself due to various reasons. The first step should be honesty with the basic facts, but so far I still see a lot of old garbage ideas in and new garbage problems out. The people we need to listen most closely to now are only the proven smartest men we can find with the least conflicts of interest. And they should be genuine broad thinkers and not narrowly-focused, book smart and dangerous. We need the ones who didn’t help cause the problem but correctly predicted it and were outsider pariahs over the last decade. But good luck getting them any power in D.C. Clinton and Bush both are only responsible for being normal national leaders when it comes to economics and agreeing to allow “the maestro” Alan Greenspan’s mad economic and banking science experiment to break loose from the lab and consume the planet. He ran a con game of some sort on us all.

econavenger on October 30, 2008 at 10:05 PM

Bill: “Don’t you be fooled by these oil prices goin’ down, ’cause as soon as ‘they’ can sucker us in to forgettin’ about bein’ energy independent, they’ll go right back up again” … to right where Senator Government wants ‘em, about $4 a gallon. “He’s got the best plan to liberate America and create millions and millions and millions and millions of jobs.”

That’s right, folks. Barack plans to create 4,000,000 jobs with Acorn, taking voter registration to park benches all across America.

eucher on October 30, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Molto fare con niente.

Bill may be about to find himself a somewhat important and powerful figure again…elder statesman of some sort, a guy who can talk to many sides at the highest levels. I dont think Obama can afford to freeze Bill out of the loop of advisors from whom wisdom is sought, not comepletely anyway. Clinton has much more international heft than, for example, Joe Biden.

Mike D. on October 31, 2008 at 12:11 AM

I couldn’t stop laughing as I watched Clinton rip BHO apart right in front of him. The look on BHO’s face, while Clinton was going on, was priceless. And the funniest part was the BHO’s supporters didn’t understand what the heck was going on. Classic.

progressoverpeace on October 31, 2008 at 12:13 AM

I still can’t believe how Obama basically ran and hid under the bed when the meltdown happened, waited until Bob Rubin could get on a plane home from Europe and give him some talking points, and then Axelrod spun it as being “calm and even keeled in a crisis.” And now he thinks the answer to the housing problem is simply to wave a magic wand and stop foreclosures for 90 days.

This guy has spent 18 months peeeing on America, and he has made America believe it is raining.

rockmom on October 31, 2008 at 2:36 AM

I thought Lewinsky got Billy Jeffs last eye poke…but lo and behold…..

malkinmania on October 30, 2008 at 7:55 PM

Heh. Another orifice on Bill’s life list.

soundingboard on October 31, 2008 at 4:41 AM

In this case the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, but if Mr. Protein Stain can suck a few votes away from the big-eared goblin, let him. I will not wretch at the thought. it may even cause the corners of my mouth to curl into a faint smile.

SKYFOX on October 31, 2008 at 5:40 AM

So Obama consulted his advisors and decided to increase taxes on businesses and increase protectionist trade policies.

That didn’t work so well for Herbert Hoover. Obama trusts the wrong advisors.

Right_of_Attila on October 31, 2008 at 9:44 AM

Clinton is just along for the ride.
He misses being on the campaign trail.
Has nothing to do with BHO

ToddonCapeCod on October 31, 2008 at 2:29 PM