Video: New Obama ad goofs on Palin; Update: Ad remixed

posted at 12:05 pm on October 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

A little something to stoke the GOTV fires six days out. Their ad team’s laid off her until now as far as I know; the only spot I can remember her appearing in was one released after she was named, the point of which was to claim that Bush, not Palin, is McCain’s real running mate. The fact that they’re now arguing the opposite shows you how poisonous they think she is to swing voters, backed by the WSJ poll released last week claiming she’s a bigger drag on the ticket than even Dubya. If they’re running this, they can’t be worried about her luring away PUMAs, either. That’s also in line with recent polls showing McCain’s support among Democrats either the same as or only negligibly bigger than The One’s support among Republicans.

Exit question: Time for an 18-minute highlight reel of Biden gaffes as retaliation from Team Maverick?

Update: A reader points to this by way of response.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Funny how the stereotypical Muslim attitude towards women has a way of seeping through all the charisma.

I hope they let Palin loose on this chump.

Hening on October 29, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Since when does Palin not understand the economy?

What credentials does Barry have exactly? Other than being well-versed in Marx and Mao, of course.

Buy Danish on October 29, 2008 at 12:37 PM

I think we’re finding he does have a fairly good grasp of credit card security systems. Does that count in the larger picture?

a capella on October 29, 2008 at 1:01 PM

” fairly good grasp of credit card security systems”

HEH!

Buckaroo on October 29, 2008 at 1:02 PM

She managed the oil-rich economy of the state of Alaska.

Now what has Barry done to even come close to her experience?

stenwin77 on October 29, 2008 at 1:03 PM

The people that dislike Obama are in his camp already. Does this do anything but rile up the base and maybe get some of the now pro-Mac PUMA’s and members of the traveling sisterhood of the pantsuit to scream “sexist!”? This demands a Biden gaffefest spectacular in response.

BrianBoru on October 29, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Nah. This isn’t an ad about Palin AT ALL. It’s an excuse to run all those “I don’t get economics” quotes.

This election is now in the hands of the 5-10% of the electorate who are undecided, and most of them are leaning McCain, but need to be sold that he will be good for the economy. That’s the final battleground, and both candidates know it.

Responding to this as though it’s an attack on Palin, or with irrelevant attacks on Biden, would be a HUGE unforced error.

McCain needs to continue to sell the steady leadership combo: strong proven solutions to the economic crisis and a President foreign leaders will *respect*. That’s what will carry him across the finish.

ClintACK on October 29, 2008 at 1:06 PM

You have to wonder why Obama seems so attached to misogyny don’t you.

tarpon on October 29, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Actually the only thing that struck me after watching the ad was how fair it was. I expected a media-style Palin slanderfest. As it was the ad is the right kind of negative ad: factual, issue-oriented, and even correct! If someone’s weighing the candidates, McCain/Palin has a definite and openly acknowledged weakness on economics. Of course, Obama/Biden is not only weak but actually harmful on economics. That counter-point needs to be made more clearly by referencing quotes from Obama’s books.

Gaunilon on October 29, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Preposterous, as if Barry had gained superior foreign policy experience as a community organizer.

Being a Marxist does not a foreign policy expert make.

petefrt on October 29, 2008 at 1:10 PM

In Barrys economic world, 250,000 = 150,000.

lorien1973 on October 29, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Funny.

The add attacks McCain on the economy. Neither Barry or D’Oh Biden have any economic experience, why they are both lawyers and ran for offices.
Barry has no Foreign Policy experience and we all know that D’Oh has been using the title for some time, until he opens his mouth to lend a suggestion on Foreign Policy.

These two douche bag lawyers should leave office and get back to chasing ambulences.

jdubya on October 29, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Funny crap on Biden

JiangxiDad on October 29, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Palin wore Jeans Obama then wears jeans. Think they are scared of this woman? you betcha!

unseen on October 29, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Bradley Effect

Absolutely no proof it even exists. Why couldn’t those people have lied to pollsters because they didn’t want to admit they were voting for a republican? How about the other campaign was more effective in the closing weeks? Or as a usually suspect about pollsters, they go out and target the people that will give them the answer their clients will be happy with? Or will affect the contest? Did 6-8% admit afterwards that race was the deciding factor in their decision? Nope. The bradley affect is just another theory formulated to explain why a failed democrat politician lost a race.

peacenprosperity on October 29, 2008 at 1:14 PM

You have to wonder why Obama seems so attached to misogyny don’t you.

tarpon on October 29, 2008 at 1:08 PM

I think it has something to do with not being married to a woman…

(I’m probably going to be hurt for that one.)

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 29, 2008 at 1:16 PM

why a failed democrat politician lost a race.

By the way, I don’t think bradley ever held elective office again. If he was so great and only lost because of his race (in argueably the most liberal state in the union) why didn’t he go onto do something else?

peacenprosperity on October 29, 2008 at 1:16 PM

I’m voting for Palin. McCain is welcome to ride along, too.

SKYFOX on October 29, 2008 at 1:17 PM

ClintACK on October 29, 2008 at 1:06 PM

I agree partly. It IS an attack on Palin, and it shouldn’t go un-noted, but you’re right that it should not be reacted to defensively. The MOST they should do on Biden is a web ad if they have one on hand that’s funny.

Best defense is a good offense on the economy, via Palin in an interview or press conference setting if possible. Maybe better to have someone else (Lady Rothschild or some other PUMA hero) hit back on the sexism.

Not sure how I feel about the slight diversion from the spread the wealth message to the Khalidi tape and foreign policy today.

CK MacLeod on October 29, 2008 at 1:17 PM

I think it has something to do with not being married to a woman…

He’s bitter he can’t hang out with limo drivers every night.

peacenprosperity on October 29, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Funny crap on Biden

JiangxiDad on October 29, 2008 at 1:14 PM

He looks so lonely in that picture.

I still kind of feel sorry for him.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 29, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Ok this ad tells me that the socialism think is hitting him hard. He is losing support on who will better handle the economy. a marxist of a middle of the road democrat.

I hope hillbuzz.com is correct in PA

unseen on October 29, 2008 at 1:18 PM

I’m voting for Palin. McCain is welcome to ride along, too.

SKYFOX on October 29, 2008 at 1:17 PM

unseen on October 29, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Her favorables suffered primarily in my estimation due to poor handling, a bad interview that was overplayed and playing the role as the attacker. Over the next four years, she’ll have more than enough time to fix that.

V15J on October 29, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Big whoop-dee-do. Desperation. Can you smell their fear?

lionheart on October 29, 2008 at 1:29 PM

This coming from the guy that Sarkozi, a Frenchman, calls an empty suit.

Rick on October 29, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Let’s get Biden saying that he thinks Obama isn’t qualified, that Biden isn’t Qualified and that he likes McCain and honored to run with him.

Tim Burton on October 29, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Already been done. Pretty effective too.

lionheart on October 29, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Yes, using this as the background music.

Y-not on October 29, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Obama/Biden could either one of you clowns give a speech on energy like this lady did this morning?
I think NOT!

…no thanks bama, keep the CHANGE!

try again later on October 29, 2008 at 1:34 PM

I’m Barrack Obama, and I approve this message… attacking the economic knowledge of a person who runs a state with an energy producing state with an $11 billion budget, when I have absolutely no experience qualifying me to run anything.

RightWinged on October 29, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Yes, using this as the background music.

Y-not on October 29, 2008 at 1:32 PM

LMAO!!

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 29, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Hey I came back and watched it again. Maybe it comes off different on TV but I like the ad. I like Sarah’s face when she is talking and winking. From Obama’s point of view, I think this ad is at best neutral and and worst is a positive for McCain/Palin. I know that it is weird but that’s how it affected me.

Sarah has a ton of charisma!

petunia on October 29, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Tim Burton on October 29, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Give Biden 5 minutes with an open mic and he’ll say all of that, plus offer a half-baked foreign policy idea, insult various ethnic groups and get numerous details about his own resume wrong.

If we could get a 30-minute infomercial from Biden, McCain would be up 5 points by the time Biden was done.

dedalus on October 29, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Palin as a Mother (alone) gives her more experience than Barry has.

abinitioadinfinitum on October 29, 2008 at 1:46 PM

This was effective, but I really wish it could have included Palin’s rambling answer to Katie Couric on economics. Then again, to include the entirety of that answer Obama would have to buy a half hour of television time again.

crr6 on October 29, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Frankly, (although I’m bias) I don’t think the ad was terribly effective and may actually work in the opposite direction.

First off, too much reading of text without any context.

Secondly, I’m not sure that most Americans have a problem with winking like existing McCain-Palin haters already have.

Captain America on October 29, 2008 at 1:47 PM

This is PUMA bait. There may yet be PUMAs in the ranks of Team Obama. Obama is not only the One, but the only One. PUMAs know of Obama’s arrogance and David Axelrod’s by any means necessary tactics. When victory creates more enemies than friends, defeat is better. If McCain is going to close he needs everyone on board, PUMAs this is your time to stand up.

Angry Dumbo on October 29, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Backlash starts.

Obama’s cheap-shot attack on Sarah Palin

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 29, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 29, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Nice find. This guy is an Hussein-Obama hack (he was the “calling Barack X a socialist is racist” guy), and if he thinks it is unfair, well….

PimFortuynsGhost on October 29, 2008 at 2:00 PM

I’m Barrack Obama, and I approve this message… attacking the economic knowledge of a person who runs a state with an energy producing state with an $11 billion budget, when I have absolutely no experience that may qualifying me to run anything be investigated under Sarbanes-Oxley.

RightWinged on October 29, 2008 at 1:35 PM

FIFY.

Personally, I think Obama will look sweet in an orange jumpsuit.

Y-not on October 29, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Love the remix!

Of course, I like the wink in the original ad ; )

Sarah rocks. I’m holding out hope that she’ll be our next VP. She’ll be a good one, and her accent isn’t annoying, as Al Gore’s certainly was.

Come on America. You know that Socialism is NOT an option for growth and prosperity. We have to elect McCain.

eucher on October 29, 2008 at 2:15 PM

DAMN that response was fast.

And killer.

benjamin on October 29, 2008 at 2:16 PM

I am not sure if it is the same in other states, but here in CA I have only seen 100% negative ads by the Obama campaign on TV here.

JeffinSac on October 29, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Personally, I think Obama will look sweet in an orange jumpsuit.

Y-not on October 29, 2008 at 2:06 PM

OK. I’ll say it. Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaacist.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 29, 2008 at 2:26 PM

We see how great and honest a campaign BO is running, the American economy should be a breeze after all OTJ training he is going through.

la.rt.wngr on October 29, 2008 at 2:38 PM

The other Republicans should have hammered McCain about these stupid economics quotes in the primaries.

Speedwagon82 on October 29, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Personally, I think Obama will look sweet in an orange jumpsuit.

Y-not on October 29, 2008 at 2:06 PM

OK. I’ll say it. Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaacist.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 29, 2008 at 2:26 PM

oh no! I didn’t mean it that way. I was just thinking of how nice Michelle looked in this and thought Barry would like a matching outfit.

If you could see me now, you’d see me innocently batting my huge eyelashes over my doe-like eyes…

/sarc

Y-not on October 29, 2008 at 2:52 PM

Obama and the economy?

Obama hadn’t learned the benefit of an interest-bearing checking account until about 2005.

I wouldn’t let him run an Seven-Eleven let alone the largest economy in the world.

Palin actually knows something about energy. For crying out loud, Obama is pushing ethanol. How stupid is that?

BuckeyeSam on October 29, 2008 at 2:52 PM

She looks like she’s about to flip out and kill someone.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 29, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Gov’r Palin knows more about economics than those two clown US Senators on the Demoncrat side.

HotAirJosef on October 29, 2008 at 2:57 PM

She looks like she’s about to flip out and kill someone.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 29, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Yeah, she is… lovely. And what the heck is O! wearing?

Y-not on October 29, 2008 at 2:58 PM

hee hee hee hee

From CBS News’ Scott Conroy:

(BOWLING GREEN, OHIO) Over the course of her two months on the campaign trail, Sarah Palin has accused Barack Obama of “palling around with a terrorist,” wanting to “wave the white flag of surrender to the terrorists” and has suggested that he doesn’t want to win the wars the United States is fighting. At a rally here this afternoon, she upped the ante even further by wondering aloud whether the Democratic nominee really supports Israel in the way he has repeatedly affirmed he does.

Palin’s impetus was a story published in the Los Angeles Times in April about a 2003 banquet, in which the then Illinois state senator spoke about his friendship with Rashid Khalidi, a former PLO spokesman and current Columbia University professor, who has a history of espousing views on Israel that many consider incendiary.

“And the twist here is that there’s a videotape of a party for this person, back in 2003, a celebration of him, and Barack was there, and we know some very derogatory things were said there about Israel and America’s support for that great nation,” Palin said. “And among other things, Israel was described there as the perpetrator of terrorism instead of the victim.”

Palin then insinuated that Obama might not support Israel in the way he says he does.

“What we don’t know is how Barack Obama responded to these slurs on a country that he now professes to support,” Palin said.

Over the chorus of loud boos from the crowd, Palin pointed out that the Los Angeles Times has refused to release the videotape of the banquet, which was explained in detail in the story that the newspaper published over six months ago.

“Maybe some politicians would love to have a pet newspaper of their very own,” she said. “In this case, we have a newspaper willing to throw aside even the public’s right to know in order to protect a candidate that its own editorial board has endorsed.”

Palin, who majored in journalism in college, went on to mock the LA Times and question its integrity.

“And if there’s a Pulitzer Prize category for excelling in kowtowing, then the LA Times, you’re winning,” she said.

Y-not on October 29, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Same strategy used against Bush the last 8 years. Ridicule him as an empty-headed, stupid idiot. Then complain that he is such a sneaky, clever politician for actualy getting things done (Iraq, tax cuts, Patriot Act, post 9/11 inspiration). If you accept the first, how can the latter be true? For many, it becomes a self-indicting statement of intentional meanness. It will not work for people who remember the initial attacks when the second round comes up.

jerseyman on October 29, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Are there any ex-Romney supporters here? Because if there are, I wonder how you perceive the Obama ad…

mycowardice on October 29, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Palin was never about getting Democrats to vote for the ticket. She was always about getting Republicans to vote for the ticket. And it will work.

LibTired on October 29, 2008 at 4:19 PM

I’ve said before, McCain should have covered this in the debate:

A while ago, I said the issues of Economics are not something I understood as well as I should. Then I find that my opponent wants to raise taxes and shut down trade in a recession. Seems I’m not at the bottom of the class after all.

OBQuiet on October 29, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Personally, I think Obama will look sweet in an orange jumpsuit.

Y-not on October 29, 2008 at 2:06 PM
OK. I’ll say it. Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaacist.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 29, 2008 at 2:26 PM

______________________________________

Gosh is Orange a race now?

____________________________________

SayWhat on October 29, 2008 at 5:29 PM

Journalism is dead and we all know it!

Where IS that LA times tape of the Khalidi fest attended by Obama anyway?

SayWhat on October 29, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Barry wouldn’t dare talk back to Michelle O.

A real tough guy.

profitsbeard on October 29, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Pray tell, how are you going to edit Biden’s gaffes into an 18-minute clip? You would need at least half an hour. 45 minutes would be better.

Troy Rasmussen on October 29, 2008 at 9:26 PM

I can think of dozens of spin-offs to Obama’s ad here done cheap. His Choice spin-off number 1-100. There’s a Bill Ayers one that someone could do. Or the re-introduced to the media, Rashid Khalidi. Louis Farahkahn. Or hey, a really good series on it’s own, Joe BIden!

ajfederation on October 29, 2008 at 10:20 PM

BHO goes to church “every week”?
I thought he missed all those services with the racism & hate-America crap.

jgapinoy on October 29, 2008 at 10:55 PM

—Biden, predicting crisis before June: “Watch, we’re gonna have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy (Obama)…we’re gonna need you to use your influence, your influence within the community, to stand with him. Because it’s not gonna be apparent initially, it’s not gonna be apparent that we’re right.”
–Biden: “…a three letter word: J-O-B-S!”
–Biden told Jon Stewart, “John McCain is a personal friend, a great friend, and I would be honored to run with or against John McCain, because I think the country would be better off — be well off no matter who …,” where Stewart cut him off.
–Biden repeatedly insisted that Hillary Clinton would’ve probably been a better choice for Obama.
–Biden publicly opposed the AIG bailout, not realizing his running mate was for it
–Biden called Palin Alaska’s “Lieutenant Governor”.
–Biden accidentaly introduced his running mate as “Barack America”.
–Biden, while trying to win votes in hotly contested Ohio, taunted Ohioans by announcing that Delaware’s team could “kick” the Ohio State football team’s, uh, posterior.
–Biden publicly promised to ban “clean” coal after his running mate promised to invest heavily in it.
–Biden told an endearing three-sentence summary supposedly about his own life, but it was taken nearly word-for-word from British politician Neil Kinnock.
–Biden claimed his helicopter was “forced down” in enemy territory, but it was later learned that the flight was only postponed because of weather.
–Biden looked at Missouri state senator Chuck Graham–seated in front of him–and demanded that he “Stand up!” without noticing that he was in a wheelchair.
–Biden called Obama “the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean…to run for President,” insulting Shirley Chisholm, Jesse Jackson, Carol Braun, and Al Sharpton.
–Biden offended certain immigrants in Delaware by claiming, “You cannot go to a 7/11 or a Dunkin’ Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I’m not joking.”
–Biden angrily challenged a sincere questioner by insisting, “My IQ higher than yours!”
–Biden on poor D.C. school performance compared to Iowa: “There’s less than 1 percent of the population of Iowa that is African American. There is probably less than 4 or 5 percent that is, are minorities. What is it in Washington? So look, it goes back to what you start off with, what you’re dealing with.”
–Biden, unaware that Hoover was President in 1929, many years before TV was invented: “When the stock market crashed, Franklin Roosevelt got on the television and didn’t just talk about the princes of greed. He said, ‘look, here’s what happened.”‘
–Biden slammed an Obama ad that mocked McCain for being “computer illiterate” without mentioning that it is McCain’s war injuries that inhibit him from using a keyboard. “I thought that (the ad) was terrible, by the way,” Biden said. Asked why it was done, he said: “I didn’t know we did it, and if I had anything to do with it, we’d have never done it.”
from jgapinoy.blogspot.com

jgapinoy on October 29, 2008 at 10:56 PM

Operative: “That girl is an albatross.”

Malcolm Reynolds: “Well, last I figgered it, an albatross was a ship’s good luck – ’til some gorram fool went and killed it.”

Thanks Dave!!!

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 29, 2008 at 12:27 PM

SHINEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VikingGoneWild on October 29, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Shiny!

(and Mal was right about the albatross…)

Darksean on October 29, 2008 at 12:39 PM

I’m late to the party again. Dang evil job of mine trying to make steal more money from the children.

No, Firefly SHOULD be the topic. Always.

Darksean on October 29, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Got one of my many ACORN votes.

I hope BO keeps going after SP. Every time I see the Democraps bashing her I just know my mom is shifting to the “R” side. I think mom has woken up & realized Truman & JFK aren’t part of the “D” side anymore. Keep it up please!

VikingGoneWild on October 29, 2008 at 11:42 PM