Palin on 2012: “I’m not doing this for naught”

posted at 8:15 pm on October 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

The media’s got a fee-vah and the only prescription is more Palin’s-already-eyeing-her-post-McCain-career!

ELIZABETH VARGAS: If it doesn’t go your way on Tuesday … 2012?

GOV SARAH PALIN: I’m just … thinkin’ that it’s gonna go our way on Tuesday, November 4. I truly believe that the wisdom of … of the people will be revealed on that day. As they enter that voting booth, they will understand the stark contrast between the two tickets. …

VARGAS: But the point being that you haven’t been so bruised by some of the double standard, the sexism on the campaign trail, to say, “I’ve had it. I’m going back to Alaska.”

PALIN: Absolutely not. I think that, if I were to give up and wave a white flag of surrender against some of the political shots that we’ve taken, that … that would … bring this whole … I’m not doin’ this for naught.

Eh. They’re trying to spin that last bit as though the VP run is just a vehicle but it reads more to me like, “I won’t give my critics the satisfaction of seeing me slink home with my tail between my legs.” It’s a statement of defiance, in other words, not ambition. Or maybe I’m totally wrong and she’s already thinking ahead to the big social con powwow next week. We’ll see tomorrow when they air the clip.

Exit quotation: “This is not at least initially being received well inside of the McCain campaign.”

Comments

I just got through arguing with some people at work about Wardrobe-gate. What a bunch of crap. I gave money to the RNC and I am more than happy that money was spent on Gov. Palin’s wardrobe.

carbon_footprint on October 29, 2008 at 8:21 PM

Yeah spin. Nothing to see here.

Dash on October 29, 2008 at 8:21 PM

What utter bullshit. I know for a fact that all the alleged unhappiness within the McCain camp is 100% made up by the MSM. They are talking to a couple of former Bushies who are not in the inner circles of the McCain campaign.

rockmom on October 29, 2008 at 8:21 PM

Alot backstabbers in McCain land.

mred on October 29, 2008 at 8:22 PM

I hate the media. Elizabeth Vargas and all the rest. These people better realize that the anger and resentment they are building amongst the population now goes way beyond contempt or dislike. I HATE THEM!

D0WNT0WN on October 29, 2008 at 8:23 PM

You can tell That One’s campaign is nervous when the media takes this and tries to run with it.

SouthernGent on October 29, 2008 at 8:23 PM

B.S.

Go Sarah!

McCain-Palin to WIN!

profitsbeard on October 29, 2008 at 8:24 PM

I’m with you AP.

I think this is just her saying she is in this to win it.

kerrhome on October 29, 2008 at 8:26 PM

When John and Sarah win this, all of this bs will be gone and we’ll focus on how they are going to stop the Democrats in Congress.

kerrhome on October 29, 2008 at 8:27 PM

I call b.s.

First, she was clearly referring to this campaign, not eyeing 2012.

Second, I find it hard to believe that the campaign that showed so much discipline in hoodwinking the media on Palin’s pick would start gabbing away less than a week from the election.

SoutherGent is right. O! is very nervous.

Y-not on October 29, 2008 at 8:28 PM

Let me guess: Sources say.

What crap. IMO, she was saying she is not going to back down and give them the satisfaction. And she knows it would make it harder for whomever comes after her – in whatever capacity, in whatever gender, race, etc if they were considered an outside the Beltway candidate.

I scrolled back up just to be sure, but I knew in my heart it was from AP.

Mr_Magoo on October 29, 2008 at 8:29 PM

She means that she is putting up with all this bullshit because she loves this country and wants to correct its course. That is the “for naught” that she is not doing it for.

I hate the friggin’ media.

eaglesdontflock on October 29, 2008 at 8:29 PM

I am so sick of this BS. Who the hell cares either way? Why is it important? Who could blame her if she was talking about 2012? And the speechless McCain aide? I frankly don’t care what anyone in that camp says or thinks…they’ve run the worst campaign in recent memory, so the fact they didn’t like it should be worn as a badge of honor.

changer1701 on October 29, 2008 at 8:29 PM

Once again, Sarah shows us that ovaries can trump onions. And at this time in our country’s history we need her ovaries more than we need more of our ole guys’ worn out onions.

Go, Sarah! You are our hope.

petefrt on October 29, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Trying to gin up controversy over nothing. Next

WisCon on October 29, 2008 at 8:30 PM

maybe I’m totally wrong

Well at least you took a side this time AP.

Mr_Magoo on October 29, 2008 at 8:30 PM

I hate the media too, and I really resent how they think we’ll, (Republicans, conservatives) will “get over it” after the election and things will go back to “normal”.

Uh, no. I’m almost, (almost) pleased that my beloved Brit Hume is retiring so I can 86 Fox as well. Between the “All Stars” and Shep Smith, I’m disgusted with Fox.

anniekc on October 29, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Revenge is a dish best served on 11/4/2008.

Mr_Magoo on October 29, 2008 at 8:31 PM

So when, Barack Obama–y’know–when he’s talkin’ about all those taxes he’s gonna raise on all those rich people an’ all the peanut-butter sandwiches he shared an’ all the pah he ate and all the–y’know–people he’s gonna hep…

do they quote him in dialect too?

Typhoon on October 29, 2008 at 8:31 PM

The story originated from The Nation. It’s BS.

Enough said.

thirteen28 on October 29, 2008 at 8:31 PM

rockmom on October 29, 2008 at 8:21 PM

You sure? How did they get the numbers on Ms. Palin’s wardrobe expenses? You might be right — disaffected Republicans who are in the RNC (who may or may not meet your definition of a “Bushie”) might be the leakers, but it’s just as apt to be supporters of a potential “Palin competitor” racking up the balls for the new game before the old game is even finished. Won’t be the first time, nor the last.

I think McCain’s choice of Palin has ruffled a lot of feathers, particularly amongst those supporters of McCain’s adversaries in the primary, and possibly even some of the adversaries themselves.

If the Democrats aren’t immune to such human behavior (look at how sour Bill looks), we certainly aren’t either.

unclesmrgol on October 29, 2008 at 8:32 PM

Go Sarah Go!

mindhacker on October 29, 2008 at 8:33 PM

I read it as her talking about today..as in this election…. not 2012..

theblacksheepwasright on October 29, 2008 at 8:34 PM

ABC News rewrote their article. They first talked it up as Palin thinking of 2012 then rewrote it to say she is focused on winning on the 4th. I suspect there was some push back there.

Old headline: Sarah Palin Vows to Remain Player in 2012: ‘Not Doing This For Naught’

New headline: Sarah Palin: ‘Not Doing This For Naught’

johnt on October 29, 2008 at 8:36 PM

The Osama Obama/MSM axis needs to get out the story about tensions between the McCain and Palin factions. It clearly has legs, especially with the trolls on HA.

I’m waiting for Obama to say “If I lose, I’ll rise again on the third day….”

MrScribbler on October 29, 2008 at 8:38 PM

CNN is taking this out of context, big time. Even if they weren’t, who cares? It’s a fair question, and Palin clearly says she thinks they will win on Nov 4th. Big deal. They asked McCain in a different interview how he would feel if they lose. Really, what is Palin supposed to say, Yes, I’m going back to Alaska to pout? She tried to dodge the question and the reported persisted.

SAZMD on October 29, 2008 at 8:38 PM

I’m waiting for Obama to say “If I lose, I’ll rise again on the third day….”

MrScribbler on October 29, 2008 at 8:38 PM

I’m stealin’ that.

Typhoon on October 29, 2008 at 8:40 PM

Vargas is trying her hand at victimology persuasion.

Fletch54 on October 29, 2008 at 8:40 PM

I’m still waiting for that Bill Ayers/Obama story. But noooo, the MSM has to nitpick and discern every last noun and verb that Sarah says. I can’t wait for the MSMs’ demise.

IR-MN on October 29, 2008 at 8:43 PM

Well Allah good on you for taking a positive spin for once, even though it’s over basically nothing.

Mcguyver on October 29, 2008 at 8:44 PM

well in the event we lose I am donating a hundred a month to her PAC for 2012….if we win I am donating a hundred a month for the reelection…..

the one thing the closeness of this race has taught me is to not take three years of the cycle for granted anymore.

sven10077 on October 29, 2008 at 8:47 PM

Go over to Ace and read the post about a Hillbuzz commenter/Obama employee who discussed how she was involved in astroturfing operations.

aquaviva on October 29, 2008 at 8:47 PM

How many times have you been left speechless over something someone said to you that was incredibly idiotic? I suspect that’s how the McCain aide felt when he took Dana Bash’s call.

johnt on October 29, 2008 at 8:50 PM

Bear in mind, the source of the exit quote is well known Marxist rag The Nation, soooooo…just a hunch, but maybe it’s fabricated?

SuperCool on October 29, 2008 at 8:52 PM

4800 dollars at 100 a month

42 million or so Republicans

201,600,000,000

for warchest 2012 make of that what you will.

sven10077 on October 29, 2008 at 8:56 PM

Everbody listen to

aquaviva on October 29, 2008 at 8:47 PM

This is how opinion is manipulated.

Fortunata on October 29, 2008 at 8:57 PM

I can’t believe how her comments are being misinterpreted.
Oh wait, yes I can. She is a threat and must be destroyed

Clearly she wasn’t talking about her career, but was referring to the will, desire, and necessity to fight on for this country.

Leave it to a CNN analyst, for whom it’s all about power, to get it all wrong.

Buy Danish on October 29, 2008 at 8:57 PM

There is, of course, the possibility that she says what she means and means what she says, and once she’s in, she won’t back down. That’s not spin; that’s fortitude. It’s a virtue. Look it up.

manwithblackhat on October 29, 2008 at 9:00 PM

Between the “All Stars” and Shep Smith, I’m disgusted with Fox.

anniekc on October 29, 2008 at 8:30 PM

In additon to Bill O’Reilly’s body language and culture quiz!

Ann on October 29, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Meaningless inside media crap. Nothing to see here; move along.

Jaibones on October 29, 2008 at 9:02 PM

He wanted a maverick.

ThePrez on October 29, 2008 at 9:04 PM

Maverickess

Hening on October 29, 2008 at 9:05 PM

To me she clearly meant that she’s in it to win it.

Metro on October 29, 2008 at 9:13 PM

Well, as we used to say in the Army years and years ago… “f*ck ‘em if they can’t take a joke”. She has gone through much to get this close. She is also one of those of us that are trying to drag McCain kicking an screaming across the finish line. My brother-in-law (that is prone to conspiracies) remarked the other night that this almost appears as if “the fix” has been in from early on. I told him it was just a combination of media bias and McCain’s refusal to participate in bare knuckle politics.

CC – BHO: “my Muslim faith”

CapedConservative on October 29, 2008 at 9:13 PM

McCain will be president. Sarah Palin will be vice-president. In 2012 she will be president. End of discussion.

ManlyRash on October 29, 2008 at 9:22 PM

Hard to believe The Nation would be involved in such negative and divisive stories about Republicans.

/sarc

sulla on October 29, 2008 at 9:28 PM

If the press said Sarah shot a man, I wouldn’t believe it now. Credibility is in the crapper.

Spirit of 1776 on October 29, 2008 at 9:29 PM

Spirit of 1776 on October 29, 2008 at 9:29 PM

Depends… if I first heard Charlie Gibson was going moose hunting with her… well… justifiable homicide would be my call.

CC – BHO: “my Muslim faith”

CapedConservative on October 29, 2008 at 9:31 PM

This kind of reporting is terible, no named sources. It may be true but this isn’t reporting it is gossip.

KBird on October 29, 2008 at 9:38 PM

Allahpundit: Spinning LIES and Divisiveness About The McCain-Palin Campaign Right Up Until The Last SECOND!!! As he PRAYS for an Obama WIN!!

Allahpundit: He’s As Helpful As Leprosy!!

grtflmark on October 29, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Palin on 2012: “I’m not doing this for naught”

Out of context?

Compare:

ELIZABETH VARGAS: If it doesn’t go your way on Tuesday … 2012?

Yep, AP, you’re right. You did take the Cuda out of context.

Tommygun on October 29, 2008 at 9:43 PM

Allahpundit: He’s As Helpful As Leprosy!!

grtflmark on October 29, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Indeed. I’m still looking for the Obama bin Biden supporter doing the same thing to that side. (No, I won’t accept Biden himself as filling that role, but I follow the logic.)

Tommygun on October 29, 2008 at 9:46 PM

KBird on October 29, 2008 at 9:38 PM

WHAT ELSE would you expect from an IDIOT like Allahpundit?!

grtflmark on October 29, 2008 at 9:46 PM

In other words, if she gives up, the bastards win. That’s what they want us to do. The way we win is by not giving up.

When they went after Joe the Plumber, did he go hide from the Schidt-storm? No! He’s out campaigning to beat the annointed candidate of the MSM. And if there’s any justice, he’ll win more suing OH officials than he would have earned doing plumbing work for the next couple of years.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?… It isn’t over until we say it’s over!

The Monster on October 29, 2008 at 9:55 PM

Out of Context vs Out of Play

Dr Evil on October 29, 2008 at 10:02 PM

This is ridiculous. The media has been working a coordinated divide-and-conquer campaign for the last week trying to drive a wedge between McCain and Palin. These aides need to stop listening to and saying stupid unhelpful things to these reporters. Memo to McCain campaign: REPORTERS ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS!

CP on October 29, 2008 at 10:04 PM

CP on October 29, 2008 at 10:04 PM

Does that include AP?

Oh, that’s a silly question. Of course it does.

Nevermind.

Tommygun on October 29, 2008 at 10:16 PM

grtflmark on October 29, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Eh. DIAF?

spmat on October 29, 2008 at 10:21 PM

Even is she meant 2012, what of it? That’s what we are hoping for. Palin 2012! yay!

promachus on October 29, 2008 at 10:28 PM

The one plus if McCain loses: we are rid of that SOB from the Presidential field.

bill30097 on October 29, 2008 at 10:30 PM

CP on October 29, 2008 at 10:04 PM
This is ridiculous.

Exactly so. And the LeftStreamMedia employed the same tactic with its ‘reporting’ during the primary season. Conservatives didn’t select McCain as their candidate but too many others on the right fell prey to the appeal to emotion by the media.

rocksandbroncs on October 29, 2008 at 10:36 PM

spmat on October 29, 2008 at 10:21 PM

Nah, DICF!

grtflmark on October 29, 2008 at 10:54 PM

If they win on Tuesday, it will be because of Sarah. If they lose on Tuesday, it will be because of McCain. She can get the people excited to follow her to hell and back. McCain, not so much.

I said this on another thread yesterday, the Republican party will be known as the party of Lincoln, Reagan, and Palin.

cjs1943 on October 29, 2008 at 11:25 PM

…on Tuesday, November 4. I truly believe that the wisdom of … of the people will be revealed on that day. As they enter that voting booth, they will understand the stark contrast between the two tickets.

Golly, wouldn’t it be nice if we had somebody on the top of the ticket who’d been drumming that into voters heads from the beginning? Instead of leaving us to hope against hope that everybody’ll just suddenly happen to figure out on November first that this is a choice between free enterprise and collectivism – just like every American election has been for the past seventy years.

logis on October 29, 2008 at 11:28 PM

Palin’s people seem to be pushing back hard on this:

johnt on October 29, 2008 at 11:47 PM

First off, this comes from a CNN operative i.e. reporter who makes things up. Second, SO WHAT if it’s true. The “McCain campaign” and the RNC wouldn’t have to be relying on Sarah to drag his RINO a$$ over the finish line if he wasn’t always trying to be best buds with Kennedy and Feingold!
Third – McCAIN CAMPAIGN GROW A FREAKIN PAIR!

Sporty1946 on October 29, 2008 at 11:47 PM

My goodness.
If this woman wins the nomination in 2012, say goodbye to the republican party.

Xolom on October 30, 2008 at 12:34 AM

CC – BHO: “my Muslim faith”

CapedConservative on October 29, 2008 at 9:13 PM

Who the hell do you think you’re fooling? You just perpetuate every conservative stereotype with your idiocy.

Xolom on October 30, 2008 at 12:35 AM

ManlyRash on October 29, 2008 at 9:22 PM

Just think of how much time we could save and keyboarding we could avoid if we would just listen to ManlyRash and ignored everything else.

It’s so simple, really.

platypus on October 30, 2008 at 12:41 AM

I agree with Sporty1946.

It may have been impolitic to say it the way she did, but sheesh! OF COURSE she’s thinking about the next election! SO WHAT? Who wouldn’t be? I sure as hell would. Biden is.

McCain IS a weaker candidate than she is. He knows this and will at least put up with this to get elected. She has to walk a fine line between energizing the campaign and overshadowing him. If they’re elected, he won’t be able to restrain her too much because she’s too popular, and it’ll be interesting to see how things work out.

JimC on October 30, 2008 at 12:42 AM

If this woman wins the nomination in 2012, say goodbye to the republican party.

Xolom on October 30, 2008 at 12:34 AM

Putting aside that this is one of the dumbest statements made this year, it is EXACTLY what we want to do.

We want to destroy the CURRENT Republican Party (which gave us compassionate conservatism and other idiocies) and replace it with a NEW Republican Party that honors decency, family, morality, and patriotism as the foundation blocks of the platform.

And two of those planks (upon the foundation) will be right-to-life and strict construction judiciary.

Sarah will own the New GOP. We will be proud to follow her.

platypus on October 30, 2008 at 12:50 AM

Having actually worked on a Presidential campaign (Fred Thompson’s) I’m pretty sure Palin’s not thinking about anything other than the next day’s events. She’s way too busy with rallies and travel plans that change suddenly as well as dealing with reporters way too hooked on process stories instead of actual issues.

seanhackbarth on October 30, 2008 at 1:34 AM

platypus on October 30, 2008 at 12:50 AM

Sorry, but your hybrid of theocracy and freedom ain’t for me.

Xolom on October 30, 2008 at 1:42 AM

AP, sometimes I wonder if you don’t work part-time for Howard Dean.

Griz on October 30, 2008 at 2:02 AM

Never give up, Never back down…principles are something the MSM and the America haters just don’t understand!

Gohawgs on October 30, 2008 at 3:59 AM

Allahpundit: He’s As Helpful As Leprosy!!

grtflmark on October 29, 2008

Jesus cured lepers. I don’t think He can help AP…unless AP finally gives in to the Truth and asks for His help.
I won’t hold my breath.

SKYFOX on October 30, 2008 at 6:14 AM

Translation: A reporter had a deadline and needed a scoop. So she thought about what McCain staffers might say if the reporter had the staffers’ confidence. So she fabricated the quote, thereby meeting her deadline and impressing her liberal friends.
__________

RJGatorEsq. on October 30, 2008 at 7:38 AM

I watched all of the morning shows today. The OBAMAMEDIA has never been so obvious. I actually chuckled out loud a few times. I can’t tell you how much I want McCain to win so we can shove their plot in thier faces, and shame them for the unprofessional hacks that they are. They’ll never be able to live this down.

marklmail on October 30, 2008 at 7:46 AM

Who cares what Obamunists think of us, Sarah, McCain, whatever? They are socialists who want to kill babies when it suits them. They are therefore moral imbeciles, and have no standing to be taken seriously except in the way one takes a rabid dog seriously.

Akzed on October 30, 2008 at 9:02 AM

You’ve got to hand it to McCain for picking her. McCain realized that Republicans lost Congress due to too many of them feeding at the lobbying/kickback/earmark/spending trough and getting spanked by the voters. He chose a young, feisty VP candidate with a clean record of fighting corruption, and passed the torch of the party to her. If they win this election, McCain/Palin will be the GOP bridge to the future.

Steve Z on October 30, 2008 at 10:34 AM

Someone already may have posted this, but please repeat the info if it’s available anyway…

Where can I get a “Palin 2012″ bumper sticker?

doufree on October 30, 2008 at 10:45 AM