McCain ad: “TV Special”

posted at 9:05 am on October 29, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

With Barack Obama airing his 30-minute informercial on competing networks this evening, John McCain decided to reach back into his summer strategy and poke Obama’s pretentiousness in his latest ad today. “TV Special” paints Obama as an empty suit with great PR, whose natural political instincts would bring disaster:

Behind the fancy speeches, grand promises and TV special, lies the truth: With crises at home and abroad, Barack Obama lacks the experience America needs. And it shows.

His response to our economic crisis is to spend and tax our economy deeper into recession. The fact is Barack Obama’s not ready yet.

The return of the “celebrity” theme could be effective, especially with those who scratch their heads at Obama’s decision to pre-empt 30 minutes of programming — on three networks (and a few other outlets as well).  Does Obama think that people would be too stupid to find it on just one?  Obama could make an argument for having his 30-minute infomercial on network television, I suppose, by reversing McCain’s argument here and saying he wants people to get to know him in greater detail.  The simulcast gives the ego-stroking game away.

This ad will probably only be effective for a day or two, but it’s still a good entry for Team McCain.

Update: He’s on three networks, not two (NBC, CBS, Fox), and a few ancillary outlets.  It’s worse than I originally thought.  Thank the Lord for HBO and TiVo.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Now McCain just looks like a spiteful sourpuss with a week to go desperately trying to raise every kernel of sh*t that he can in hopes it’ll save his a*s. – Dave Rywall on October 29, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Is he going to win the election, Dave. What say you?

ManlyRash on October 29, 2008 at 10:12 AM

Five people could watch and the MSM will be pumping this tingle-fest for the marxist.

Let’s roll.

ex-Democrat on October 29, 2008 at 10:11 AM

My wife (very disinterested in politics) said she wanted to watch him tonight. I said I refused to. She said she just wanted the chance to clearly see in her mind all the reasons why she can’t stand him. I was surprised and happy at that. Let’s hope it’s not uncommon.

JiangxiDad on October 29, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Dave Rywall on October 29, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Let me get your analogy correct.
If a woman is raped, she can’t yell about it while it is going on, she has to foretell the rape?
If a bank is being robbed, they can’t say they are being robbed, it is too late, they knew at one time they were going to be robbed, so calling in the police while it is happening is whining?
Rywall, you crack me up…your posts get weirder and weirder the closer the election.
I am going to miss you after the election, because you are here just to “stir the pot”.
But you are such a gooney guy, such a weird way of thinking…I don’t think I have ever read more strange convoluted thought in the past couple of years, as just a couple of your random posts.
I would bet you have grown up with people laughing behind your back your whole life…you crack me up.

right2bright on October 29, 2008 at 10:15 AM

McCain needs to run an ad going after the whole “infomerical” concept. You know, the modern day snake oil salesman.

jeffersonschild on October 29, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Not ready, yet?

Oh, so Obama will be ready by Friday or next Tuesday, so vote for Obama.
Dumb.

albill on October 29, 2008 at 10:17 AM

“Yet.”

What the hell is this BS. “Yet?”

wise_man on October 29, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Awesome! The ad of the campaign if they do it!

Starlink on October 29, 2008 at 10:16 AM

And would have the added benefit of having the Silicon Valley fellow travelers heads’ explode. (That’s just a special gift to my Cupertino family :)

JiangxiDad on October 29, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Is ANYBODY going to bother watching?

All I know is this: It’s Wednesday night, and a new Mythbusters is airing on the Discovery channel. My set will be tuned to Discovery just like EVERY Wednesday night.

Enjoy the bore-fest, I’ll be watching GOOD T.V. (Along with most of America I suspect.)

wearyman on October 29, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Guys, we need to send this video around. Black man named Alfonzo Rachel on why he’s voting for McCain/Palin.

Btw, it’s gotten 712,000 views.

nickj116 on October 29, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Should left out the “yet,” otherwise, as it stands now, it sounds like a partial endorsement.

misslizzi on October 29, 2008 at 10:30 AM

I saw a great Web video on one of the PUMA sites yeterday, made by a Democrat, that highlights all of Obama’s flip-flops and election-year conversions, and says “I just can’t trust you, Mr. Obama.” A good summary ad could be made from that. I don’t think hitting Obama anymore on his past will work. But he has gotten away with too many flip-flops in this race.

rockmom on October 29, 2008 at 10:31 AM

Who wants to watch a sociopath on TV for half an hour? Nobody’s going to watch, except the died in the wool Obamabots, and even they’ll be bored.

mr.blacksheep on October 29, 2008 at 10:32 AM

mr.blacksheep on October 29, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Yep, Obama oozes sociopathy.

misslizzi on October 29, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Not ready yet evah!

Glenn Jericho on October 29, 2008 at 10:40 AM

Btw, it’s gotten 712,000 views.

nickj116 on October 29, 2008 at 10:24 AM

He has ton’s of good stuff… here’s his link.

CC – BHO: “my Muslim faith”

CapedConservative on October 29, 2008 at 10:40 AM

I’m very serious here – warn her to watch for subconcious appeals. I think the dude may actually have practiced up on the art of persuasion, designed solely to suppress the rational centers of the brain. Many Democrats are actually born with those intact, they just suffer from atrophy.

rhodeymark on October 29, 2008 at 10:57 AM

My Big, Fat, Greek TV Special.

Hey!

I’m fat and Greek. And I like to watch TV. I resemble those remarks

What’s the big deal, Ed? How many “-ist”s do I have to list?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 29, 2008 at 11:04 AM

True_King on October 29, 2008 at 9:17 AM

Good work! And add the illegal bundling by Code Pink, MoveOn and Soros et al and then the foregoing of the credit card safety features so overseas money comes flowing in. My fav was the Hamas phone banks raising money for THE ONE. Yep, you are dead on in your conclusion that something smells on how THE MANCHILD was able to float through life with little regard to student loans, (if they exist), and not a financial care in the world.

freeus on October 29, 2008 at 11:12 AM

My first reaction to the “YET” was also “WTF?”.

On reflection, as others have posted this might be a good idea. There’s no time left for preaching to the choir. People who’ve firmly made up their minds won’t be swayed either way by this. Leaving the possibility open for the future may sway some of those undecided or slightly leaning toward Obama.

DarkCurrent on October 29, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Too much money is like too much honey — it gags you after a while.

Obama has so much money he’s forgotten the first rule of selling something — leave the customer wanting more. He’s forgotten that he can’t buy votes, he can only ask for them. And a hard sell is a turn off.

This half hour infomercial will not be repeated in future campaigns, because it’s going to be the death knell for this one.

bonnie_ on October 29, 2008 at 11:19 AM

DarkCurrent on October 29, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Well, I see you’ve taken my side:

Abby Adams on October 29, 2008 at 10:05 AM

Abby Adams on October 29, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Abby Adams on October 29, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Yes, though you put it better.

DarkCurrent on October 29, 2008 at 11:38 AM

I’d rather have a colonoscopy than watch that dolt.

jewells45 on October 29, 2008 at 12:43 PM

No, you all have it all wrong. The “yet” is perfect for this ad. They aren’t trying to get the people already voting for McCain, they are trying to get the undecided voters. Present the facts that in this race, only one candidate is ready for the challenge of being President, and maybe later Obama will be ready…just not yet. The idea is to get the junior senator from Illinois to go back to missing committee meetings and to disappear from the political spotlight.

NCJeff on October 29, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Hey, haven’t seen much of that Biden lately, at least no off his leash.
Looks like they put a muzzle on him.

right2bright on October 29, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Where’s the ad on the horrible outcome of housing in his own hood? His SOLE “accomplishment” was a disaster.

marklmail on October 29, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Hey, haven’t seen much of that Biden lately, at least no off his leash.
Looks like they put a muzzle on him.

right2bright on October 29, 2008 at 1:23 PM

He has been found. Was listening to his Ipod.

JiangxiDad on October 29, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Can’t have Gov Palin hammering or shooting at a TV with Obama on it, racist and violent, that would be the end of the repub campaign and more than likely damage Palin politically for life.

eaglewingz08 on October 29, 2008 at 1:59 PM

What does that mean; he’s “not ready …YET”?!?

What “YET”?!?! They expect by 2012, That One will be fully versed on and in agreement with The Constitution? yeahokay..

Claire on October 29, 2008 at 3:09 PM

About time someone said it.

chiefeditor on October 29, 2008 at 3:22 PM

That “yet” really needs to go. If they don’t feel comfortable being blatantly honest and replacing it with “ever” then just drop the moronic “yet.” Please.

thecountofincognito on October 29, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Drywall:

You moron. You are not even an American and here you are telling the rest of us what to think and who to vote for.

No, this does not make McCain look spiteful, but this infomercial makes Obama look like something out of a bad movie.

Creepy. Look at me! Look at me!

The truth is Obama has never accomplished anything as a legislator. He did nothing to stop the financial crisis, in fact he took hundreds of thousands of dollars from the people who created the mess.

He has not history of reaching out across the aisle. He has no executive experience.

And he has a habit of skirting the law and hanging out with criminals, terrorists and all manner of nasty people.

So while lefty canucks like you might slobber at the very sight of him, a lot of honest to God Americans think Barack Obama is one strange son of a gun.

Terrye on October 29, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Don’t get nitpicky about the word yet. They are simply pointing out Obama’s complete lack of experience.

Terrye on October 29, 2008 at 6:17 PM

Someone should record it and check the video feed frame by frame for any subliminal messages. It would be so cool to find some sort of attempted mind control game being played in the video stream. I think this all-network coverage and “I’m more important than the world series” display of ego can cause more harm to Obama than good.

Someone should also use clips of this “special” in a spoof of the old Apple Mac 1984 ad, having someone throw a sledgehammer at the huge screen while Obama is talking to the numbed masses, followed by the words “Break Free From Obama on Nov 4… Vote McCain”.

AverageJoe on October 29, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Any idea how many pissed off Florida and Pennsylvania fans there will be if the continuation of Game 5 of the world series is delayed because it started to rain… but the game could have resumed if it wasn’t delayed due to Obama.

AverageJoe on October 29, 2008 at 6:51 PM