Horrendous: Dean Barnett passes away

posted at 3:56 pm on October 27, 2008 by Allahpundit

One of the smartest and sweetest people I’ve ever met, online or otherwise. Gone at 41. I’m speechless.

Update: Here’s Barnett writing in 2006 about cystic fibrosis.

At one point during my interview, the questioner asked me if I expected to see a cure to CF in my lifetime. I answered no, but that it doesn’t really matter. When you see death up close, a couple of things become clear. One is that we all die, and that death is just part of the deal. The other is that life is such a blessing, that’s it just so great, even though you know the inevitable might be near you still want as many bites of the apple as possible.

None of us know what the future of the salt water treatment might be. My health will maintain its current state indefinitely in the truest sense of the term. The good times could continue for years, or it could all crash tomorrow.

But regardless, this treatment has given me time – time to spend with my wife and family and friends. Time to hit golf balls (usually sideways, but even that’s alright). Time to chase my dogs around the house. Time that frankly I didn’t expect to have. There could be no greater gift, and it’s a miracle in so many ways.

Update (Ed): I had heard that Dean was more or less maintaining a status quo, but things must have taken a turn for the worse over the weekend.  I’m heartbroken, and the First Mate is in tears.  Anyone who read Dean’s work or listened to his broadcasts as a replacement for Hugh Hewitt knows what a kind, gentle, and joyous man he is.  I loved him calling me his “crazy uncle” and his insistence on having me join him for those broadcasts.

Our prayers are with Dean and his entire family today.  May the Lord bring him to his everlasting love and light, and may He give comfort to Dean’s family and friends.  They were truly blessed with Dean.  We all were.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Always listened to him when he replaced Hugh Hewitt. I’m gonna miss him.

Yit’gadal v’yit’kadash sh’mei raba (Cong: Amein).
b’al’ma di v’ra khir’utei
v’yam’likh mal’khutei b’chayeikhon uv’yomeikhon
uv’chayei d’khol beit yis’ra’eil
ba’agala uviz’man kariv v’im’ru:
Amein. Y’hei sh’mei raba m’varakh l’alam ul’al’mei al’maya
Yit’barakh v’yish’tabach v’yit’pa’ar v’yit’romam v’yit’nasei
v’yit’hadar v’yit’aleh v’yit’halal sh’mei d’kud’sha
B’rikh hu.
toosh’b'chatah v’nechematah, da’ameeran b’al’mah, v’eemru:
Amein
Y’hei sh’lama raba min sh’maya
v’chayim aleinu v’al kol yis’ra’eil v’im’ru
Amein
Oseh shalom bim’romav hu ya’aseh shalom
aleinu v’al kol Yis’ra’eil v’im’ru
Amein

Andy in Agoura Hills on October 27, 2008 at 5:09 PM

I mentioned this on another HA post. Dean and I had an email exchange about Fred Thompson shortly after Thompson announced his candidacy. Dean astutely called it that Thompson’s “sheen” would lose its luster. We schlubs don’t often get to interact with talk radio big leaguers, and it was fun to do so with him.

Prayers to you and your family, Dean. You are missed.

MAC

macummings on October 27, 2008 at 5:13 PM

What a sad sad day — I’m speechless. God rest this special man, and God bless his wife, family, and friends.

What a huge blow.

Richard Romano on October 27, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Let’s remember the good philosophy.

drjohn on October 27, 2008 at 5:17 PM

Dean was one of my favorite conservative bloggers. I don’t think that he ever wrote a post that failed to engage me from beginning to end. He had a certain humanity that shined through in his writing.

SWLiP on October 27, 2008 at 5:27 PM

His joy of life will forever be with us. He was a unique man and a wonderful voice.

My condolences to his family.

Chowdah forever!

Grantman on October 27, 2008 at 5:37 PM

Requiescant in Pace, Dean Barnett.

I never was disappointed when Hugh Hewitt was on vacation, because Dean’s fill-in was so great. He will be missed.

chris00nj on October 27, 2008 at 5:37 PM

Keeping everyone in My prwyers . God Bless.

Gracelynn on October 27, 2008 at 5:42 PM

Very very sad. Right up until he went back into the hospital, he and I often had day-long email exchanges on everything from CF to golf, to the Red Sawks to politics. He was a gracious correspondent and a 150% Great American, even though he was very busy as an internet star. That’s a quality of him that should not go unremarked upon: his class and willingness to extend time for even the most humble email fans.

The Sox Blog Manor is quiet tonight, and everyone here at HA who knew or liked DB is just a bit smaller today.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

— Traditional Irish Blessing

Mike D. on October 27, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Prayers for peace, faith and comfort for those loved ones, friends and family, who he leaves behind.

You can judge the worth of a man by the extent to which he is remembered…ones work lives on….

Puritan1648 on October 27, 2008 at 5:43 PM

I’m praying for the family. That is so very sad.

jjjen on October 27, 2008 at 5:45 PM

God rest his soul.

And my he comfort, and keep his face turned toward his survivng family..

RocketmanBob on October 27, 2008 at 5:57 PM

God love Dean Barnett, and may he tonight in heaven enjoy a deep breath of heavenly air, in the presence of his Maker. For a blogger who struggled to find a dozen readers in a week, Dean was a ray of encouragement. He wrote back. He shared his time, his advice, and in the rare occasions when I knew something he didn’t, he listened.

Allah, Ed, my sincerest condolences on the loss you both must feel, the loss of a friend and colleague. His death saddens us all, to die so young, but to have lived such a rich and vibrant life is an example to us all.

Ennuipundit on October 27, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Just saw the news– can hardly see the keyboard now.

May God bless and keep Dean, and may God comfort his family and all of us who were touched by him.

PA Cat on October 27, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Just found out a short time ago. This is really sad. First became aware of Dean back when we used to exchange smack talk about the Yankees and Sawx, but it was always good natured.

A really good guy.

RIP, Dean.

JammieWearingFool on October 27, 2008 at 6:10 PM

May he rest in peace and may heaven accept him, God Bless.

mindhacker on October 27, 2008 at 6:12 PM

I knew Dean first through the Hugh Hewitt show and was immediately charmed by his wit and optimism. As a talk radio junkie, I often switch off when there is a guest host, but Dean was the rare exception who seamlessly slipped behind someone else’s microphone and developed his own loyal following. Hugh’s program features a large cast of regulars including the sharpest minds in politics and it’s not a job, even temporarily, for a lightweight. Dean was a marvelous fit.

He had a distinct voice on the radio and in writing. He was the main reason the Blog at the Weekly Standard was a daily must read for me. I would scan the posts until I recognized one with his tone of jovial snarkiness and sure enough there at the bottom was his signature. When he stopped posting, I feared for his health.

I have been living with a terminal illness one-eighth the amount of time that Dean did and I admire his ability to make the most of every moment without any apparent self-pity or self-limitation. I would like to think of Dean in heaven now with a new, perfect body. His wife, his family and his friends are in my prayers. If Kirstan isgets a chance to read this, thank you for sharing your wonderful husband with us. I will miss him and never forget him.

Terrie on October 27, 2008 at 6:35 PM

love you Dean. have fun in Heaven, we’ll see you there someday.

cpr on October 27, 2008 at 6:40 PM

May God grant him rest and the angels sing his praises.

Tim Burton on October 27, 2008 at 6:47 PM

There is more to do. Check out The Joey Fund, which Dean mentions in his 2006 article linked in the article. Joey died of CF (the “vicious” type, as Dean called it) at the age of 12, and I think Dean’s outlook is that Dean was lucky to have lived the life he lived; he could have been taken far earlier, like Joey.

May he rest in peace.

unclesmrgol on October 27, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Shalom

GarandFan on October 27, 2008 at 7:02 PM

God Bless. Say hi to Mikey for me.

Cindy Munford on October 27, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Godspeed Dean.

zb42 on October 27, 2008 at 7:26 PM

I am so shocked and so deeply saddened to hear of Dean’s
“graduation”. He was in my prayers, but now my prayers are for his family. Dean sure doesn’t need them where he is now.

May God bring comfort and only happy memories to all those who mourn this great man. in Jesus’ Name Amen

lisalj on October 27, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Christ our eternal King and God, You have destroyed death and the devil by Your Cross and have restored man to life by Your Resurrection; give rest, Lord, to the soul of Your servant Dean who has fallen asleep, in Your Kingdom, where there is no pain, sorrow or suffering. In Your goodness and love for all men, pardon all the sins he has committed in thought word or deed, for there is no man or woman who lives and sins not, You only are without sin.

For You are the Resurrection, the Life, and Repose of Your servant Dean, departed this life, O Christ our God; and to You do we send up glory with Your Eternal Father and Your All-holy, Good and Life-creating Spirit; both now and forever and to the ages of ages. Amen

HerrMorgenholz on October 27, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Can’t anyone put Dean’s picture up?
He was a beautiful man.
Such a sad loss.

lisalj on October 27, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Thanks for the memories, Dean. RIP. May God comfort his family and friends.

d1carter on October 27, 2008 at 7:50 PM

Godspeed, Mr. Barnett, and condolences to his family.

SouthernDem on October 27, 2008 at 7:51 PM

Gateway Pundit posted a photo of Dean from the 2007 Blog World Expo.

Terrie on October 27, 2008 at 7:58 PM

An outstanding individual taken too soon. The saving grace seems to be the intensity, quality and good will with which he conducted his life, shortened though it was. Best wishes to his family and friends.

docob on October 27, 2008 at 9:38 PM

God bless you, Dean Barnett. We will miss you Chowda.

gemchick on October 27, 2008 at 10:09 PM

A terrible loss, and prayers for his family in their hour of grief.

One contribution Dean made was to raise public awareness of CF — I knew next to nothing about it before reading his writings, and I’m sure I wasn’t alone. May his courageous example lead other CF patients to fuller, longer lives (and scientists to find a cure).

GoHskrs on October 27, 2008 at 10:24 PM

You know Dean is peppering Ted Williams with numbered lists of questions as we speak.

I am so sorry we lost you. You were a good egg Chowda.

Mr. Joe on October 27, 2008 at 11:15 PM

We share a handful of days
Before the tides sweep us away
To sail beneath different skies and oceans,
But we will all meet again
When we have learned to transcend
Death, time, and other antiquated notions.

Farewell to a kind and gracious man whose words I can now read only in my memories.

Doctor Zero on October 27, 2008 at 11:23 PM

This was the guy who could truly drive his cah, a pawniac to the bah in Peabuddy. Happy holes-in-one and say hello to Tony Snow and WFB. A box of Kleenex for those who will miss this terrific fellow.

Comfort to his friends but especially to his Mrs. May His peace help you as you miss the love of your life.

YankeeinCA on October 27, 2008 at 11:31 PM

I’ve shed a tear today for a Great Man. He will be greatly missed. May God be with his family, in this hardest of times, to comfort them as Dean would. To hold them; to love them as he would and as he does from a Better Place. Such a great man. He will be missed. I’ve shed a tear today for a friend I never knew, but who has touched the lives of many with his words. I’ve shed a tear today for a Great Man.

WhoKnew on October 28, 2008 at 3:30 AM

A sad day. I’ll remember his wit and intelligence. Rest in peace, Dean.

blue13326 on October 28, 2008 at 6:14 AM

aw, jeez. that’s really sad to hear. i knew he had a condition, but it seemed like no big deal, the way he carried on doing what he loved and working for what he believed in.

i know captain and hewwit and that whole crew have lost a close friend. my thoughts are with you and with dean’s family.

eh on October 28, 2008 at 10:18 AM