David Frum: Forget McCain and stop Obama by saving the Senate

posted at 6:20 pm on October 25, 2008 by Allahpundit

Tough stuff, but conservative passions this year have always been more anti-Obama than pro-McCain (at least until Palin joined the ticket) so I’m curious what you guys think. Nate Silver, a lefty but one who usually plays it straight in his poll analyses, gives Maverick a five percent chance at this point and only then if he gives up on Pennsylvania and starts targeting New Hampshire and New Mexico. Compare that to the thin spreads in various Senate races (as compiled at Silver’s FiveThirtyEight site) that the GOP desperately needs to win to preserve the filibuster: Mitch McConnell, Saxby Chambliss, and Roger Wicker are all clinging to leads of just a few points while Norm Coleman, Liddy Dole, Gordon Smith, and Ted Stevens trail narrowly. Every last one of them’s an incumbent. If the RNC pulls the plug on McCain, they could shower those seven with cash for the last week and try to put them over the top. Or, alternatively, they could stick with Maverick and hope for the best. How lucky do you feel?

The stakes according to Frum:

First, with the financial meltdown, the federal government is now acquiring a huge ownership stake in the nation’s financial system. It will be immensely tempting to officeholders in Washington to use that stake for political ends — to reward friends and punish enemies. One-party government, of course, will intensify those temptations. And as the federal government succumbs, officeholders will become more and more comfortable holding that stake. The current urgency to liquidate the government’s position will subside. The United States needs Republicans and conservatives to monitor the way Democrats wield this extraordinary and dangerous new power — and to pressure them to surrender it as rapidly as feasible.

Second, the political culture of the Democratic Party has changed over the past decade. There’s a fierce new anger among many liberal Democrats, a more militant style and an angry intolerance of dissent and criticism. This is the culture of the left-wing blogosphere and MSNBC’s evening line-up — and soon, it will be the culture of important political institutions in Washington.

Unchecked, this angry new wing of the Democratic Party will seek to stifle opposition by changing the rules of the political game. Some will want to silence conservative talk radio by tightening regulation of the airwaves via the misleadingly named “fairness doctrine”; others may seek to police the activities of right-leaning think tanks by a stricter interpretation of what is tax-deductible and what is not.

The best bulwark for a nonpolitical finance system and a national culture of open debate will be the strongest possible Republican caucus in the Senate. And it is precisely that strength that is being cannibalized now by the flailing end of the McCain-Palin campaign.

He goes so far as to suggest that Senate candidates concede the likelihood of Obama’s victory and run on the sort of divided government platform McCain himself intends to push this week. Exit question: You’re the chairman of the RNC and your phone’s ringing off the hook with demands for money. What do you do? After you print up a few million copies of Treacher’s post and mail it to Republicans, I mean.

Update (Ed): What do I do?  I do basic math.  The Republicans are defending 23 seats in the Senate, and the Democrats 13.  There’s no way on God’s green Earth that the GOP will have enough seats to block the Democratic agenda no matter how much the RNC spends; they’ll be lucky to get 43 seats, and they can’t spend the next two years filibustering everything if they plan to win seats back in 2010.  They’re better off spending the money on McCain — his odds are much better than the Senate Republicans.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Don’t forget that over 3 million Hillary voters are voting for McCain, and that as many real conservatives crossed over in the primaries to vote against her (later for her) and will not vote for Obama, but they do skew the polls. I believe the race is tied right now, with McCain having the momentum.

Even I like to think that 3 million of Hillary’s voters are going to vote for McCain i am still a little skeptikal. I see no evidence of this.

clemycali on October 25, 2008 at 10:28 PM

Didn’t cost me dime,
Sounds great. Sign me up. Who cares where the money comes from as long as it’s free to me, right?

You know who else loves canadian healthcare? The second woman in this video, and the first? Not so much.

wise_man on October 25, 2008 at 9:50 PM

My trip to the emergency room was cheap but wasn’t free. If you reread my post, there is a $400 premium paided by students at my school for health insurance. Furthermore, if I wasn’t a student but a citizen I would be paying a lot more.

Also I’m realstic about the flaws in their system. I had a friend whose father had to wait a while for a surgery that he needed. But the point is that he could get it without risking fincial ruin. He has a decent job but even if he didn’t he could have peace of mind knowing that his family would not be at risk should he happened to become unemployed.

Well I must tell you that for major surgery if you don’t have the proper treatment in time you risk to die before your turn comes

clemycali on October 25, 2008 at 9:49 PM

Ric on October 25, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Ric:

I work in home health care and 80% of the charges we get are already paid for by the government here, Medicare and/or Medicaid and Veterans. Health insurance and private pay together make up the remaining 20%. The costs of meds for most of my patients are already paid for at least in part by the government.

Now a lot of these people have gone broke over time, but that has more to do with a lack of income due to an inability to work than it does health care costs.

The biggest problem with health care is the outrageous costs and so far it does not seem that involving the government has helped, not if you look at what providers charge medicaid for services. It is ridiculous.

However, Canada only has 25 million people, we have 306 million. The costs of universal health care in this country would be astronomical, far more than Obama has said. And the Democrats have not as of yet offered any new ideas as to how to deal with the entitlement programs we are currently supporting.

Terrye on October 25, 2008 at 10:36 PM

This is true, but do you have any evidence that Candians are systmatically dying becuase their not getting treatment in time? – Ric on October 25, 2008 at 10:31 PM

In addition to being a fool you are also clueless. Perhaps the former is a visible manifestation of the latter.

ManlyRash on October 25, 2008 at 10:38 PM

DRUDGE: ZOGBY SUNDAY: Single day of polling, 49% to 46% in favor of Obama… Developing…

It’s doable! Focus people. FOCUS!

RMR on October 25, 2008 at 10:39 PM

I saw that too. I am afraid not to become too optimistic.

clemycali on October 25, 2008 at 10:41 PM

As for Frum, he can kiss my a**. The man is a hanger on.

Republicans are going to have to defend a lot of seats this year, just like the Democrats did in 2002. That makes it more likely that they will lose more seats.

But to think that bailing out on McCain a few days before the election will help is silly.

In truth the Republicans have let the media demoralize them for too long. Today Biden got grilled in one segment the way Bush has been grilled for 8 years and it was a big deal. People were amazed to see a Democrat asked tough questions. The media and the back stabbing opportunists in the Republican party and conservative punditry sided with the Democrats too many times in recent years and that is why Republicans are demoralized. It would not have mattered what Republican was in the White House. I am no girl, I have been around for a long time and I have never seen anything like this. The Anchoress referred to it as a bloodless coup. At first I thought that was too much, but no more. I think that is a pretty accurate assessment.

Terrye on October 25, 2008 at 10:43 PM

It’s amazing such a do*chebag came out of Barbara Frum’s womb.

Dave Rywall on October 25, 2008 at 10:52 PM

34 million people in Canada.

A Axe on October 25, 2008 at 10:53 PM

Still doesn’t explain per capita spending on health care in US vs other first-world countries. – A Axe on October 25, 2008 at 10:53 PM

1. Government intereference in the marketplace
2. Ambulance-chasing, slip-and-fall shylocks like John Edwards.

ManlyRash on October 25, 2008 at 10:55 PM

It’s amazing such a do*chebag came out of Barbara Frum’s womb. – Dave Rywall on October 25, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Even when you make a ham-handed attempt to look evenhanded, you come across as obnoxious and boorish.

ManlyRash on October 25, 2008 at 10:57 PM

Levin!

Jim Treacher on October 25, 2008 at 10:19 PM

This needs to be repeated and re-read

Rovin on October 25, 2008 at 10:58 PM

ManlyRash on October 25, 2008 at 10:38 PM

OK Manly, go back and un-strike some of my comments to Ric :)

Rovin on October 25, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Agreed, Rovin. It could even be linked here on it’s own page as well.

Fancy that.

wise_man on October 25, 2008 at 11:02 PM

I saw that too. I am afraid not to become too optimistic.

clemycali on October 25, 2008 at 10:41 PM

I could use the optimism. I’ll take anything I can get at this point, but in all this mess, good things are happening. Not the least of which is:

As a Catholic, the fact that our Bishops have been moved to speak out, AT LONG LAST, is something of a miracle.

In a way, it has been brought about by Obama. Does that mean he really can work miracles? /blasphemy

pannw on October 25, 2008 at 11:11 PM

We can say that God can do miracles every day but we are too busy to see them or to understand them. Maybe we are witnesing one right now and we are not ready to be happy about it. I mean by that a McCain come back in the polls and finally his victory on november 4th.

clemycali on October 25, 2008 at 11:18 PM

It’s amazing such a do*chebag came out of Barbara Frum’s womb.

Dave Rywall on October 25, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Actually it isn’t — Barbara Frum, while a decent journalist, was a capital “L” liberal.

Republican on October 25, 2008 at 11:33 PM

So, by the comments I see here, the “conservative” cause can be summed up with this: “we’ll vote ‘Republican’ on the ballot solely because he/she isn’t the other guy.” And people wonder why “conservatives” have no real power in Washington, with a few exceptions (Ted Poe, Jim DeMint, Duncan Hunter, Mike Pence)? If that is the only standard that is applied, if folks will vote for McCain rather than any more “conservative” third party candidate out of fear of losing what little they have left rather than striving to win, then they deserve to fade into the shadows of our political establishment.
I mean, good grief, how can any rational conservative vote for McCain when he sponsored McCain-Kennedy? McCain-Feingold? A guy who supports federal funding for embryonic stem-cell research yet claims to be pro-life? A guy who hasn’t a clue about how to win in Iraq (yes, you read that right)? A guy who claims to be for small government and low taxes, yet supported the unwise, unconstitutional, and unjust $700 billion (and counting) bailout? A guy who claims to be an outsider, yet has spent the last 25+ years in Congress? A guy who voted to confirm Ginsburg and Breyer and lavished O’Connor with praise upon her retirement? A guy who was a member of the “Gang of 14″? A guy who wishes to use the government to reduce scientifically-unfounded man-made Global Warming? A guy who receives an F- from the Gun Owners of America?
Oh, but I see: “conservatives” will vote for him because, (A) he’s not Obama, and (B) they think they’ll be able to control him. I’d like to see how “conservatives” will have any control over him when they’ve already given him their biggest piece of power: their vote. “Conservatives” have voted for the lesser of two evils the last five elections. The “conservatives” have fought for Bush, and we see where that got them (a government bigger than ever, federalized credit, nationalized banks, etc.) Seeing how each time it hasn’t worked (also considering that the Republicans haven’t had a good President in the entire 20th century besides Reagan, T. Roosevelt, and possibly Eisenhower), they may wish to try something different.
Solution:
1. Vote for someone with whom you agree based upon principle (a novel idea, I know).
2. Given the odds of either Obama (a socialist) or McCain (a moderate socialist) getting elected, “conservatives” would be wise to put some emphasis on the Congressional elections. The Congress is the only entity with the ability to halt such things as amnesty (which is assured with either major candidate) or the confirmation of liberal judges. For example, http://www.moveondickdurbin.org, for you folks in Illinois.

Send_Me on October 25, 2008 at 11:47 PM

Could someone please explain to Send_Me how the election works after the republican primary is over and how this election is now down to two people and one of the two is guaranteed to win the election and govern in the whitehouse, and the other will lose, because from his comment, it’s pretty obvious that he doesn’t get it.

wise_man on October 25, 2008 at 11:56 PM

Send_Me:

How can anyone who lets Obama win call himself a conservative? McCain won the damn primary fair and square and the fact that certain conservatives can not get past that tells me what children they really are. They could not come up with an alternative within the Republican party because they did not have the votes apparently and yet they refuse to vote for the guy who won the primary. Which means that no conservative can ever vote again?

Fred Thompson voted for McCain/Feingold and he was quite the darling of the conservatives until he got tired and gave up.

As for the Gang of 14, it got us Alito and Roberts and if McCain had not come up with a compromise and if Republicans had used that nuclear option, they could be looking at that same power in the hands of Harry Reid right now.

Maybe certain crybaby conservatives need to spend less time undermining Republicans and more time coming up with viable alternatives.

Terrye on October 26, 2008 at 12:01 AM

wise_man:

I tried, but I am sure it was a waste of my time.

Terrye on October 26, 2008 at 12:02 AM

ManlyRash on October 25, 2008 at 10:38 PM

I’m know going to engage in childish insults with you ManlyRash. Have a good night

Ric on October 26, 2008 at 12:05 AM

Get you letter of apology ready for me, WomanlyRush. Your boy, McVain, is going doooooooooowwwwwwwnn!!!

Get ready for the US of Socialist A.

Republicans blew it….again.

We need a new party…the WILD PARTY!!!!

Roger Waters on October 26, 2008 at 12:09 AM

Ric:

So why come here if you are only going to go sulk if and when someone challenges you?

Terrye on October 26, 2008 at 12:10 AM

wise_man on October 25, 2008 at 11:56 PM

Perhaps you’ve forgotten your history. The Republican party was once a third party.

Send_Me on October 26, 2008 at 12:11 AM

Roger:

You are a disgrace. Really. John McCain suffered real pain for this country. He spent years in captivity for this country. You do not have to vote for him or like him, but making snarky little word plays on his name is a disrepectful and cowardly thing to do.

Terrye on October 26, 2008 at 12:12 AM

Send_Me:

This is not a history lesson, it is an election and two men are running.

Terrye on October 26, 2008 at 12:13 AM

Roger:

Terrye on October 26, 2008 at 12:12 AM

Trying to reason with a Liberal is like trying to pet a bumblebee… you’re always going to get stung.

Libs like Roger have no appreciation for this country or the people who have fought for — and are fighting for — its freedom.

Just ignore him.

Republican on October 26, 2008 at 12:22 AM

David Frum wants to make sure that he gets invited into Washington dinners because the polls suggests that Obama is going to win. What a weasel!

mariloubaker on October 26, 2008 at 12:23 AM

Roger is not a liberal. At least I don’t think he is.

Terrye on October 26, 2008 at 12:26 AM

Ric:

Terrye on October 26, 2008 at 12:10 AM

I have no problem with being challenged with facts and arguments. But when someone just start calling me a fool, without any arugments or facts to back up that assertation then whats the point of engaging in a argument? I come here because I don’t want be stuck in a echo chamber of my own thoughts, I like to be challenged. But challenged with ideas, not ad homenim attacks.

Ric on October 26, 2008 at 12:28 AM

Terrye on October 26, 2008 at 12:01 AM

First off, I’m not a “conservative”. I’m an independent who’s dedicating himself to defending the principles of the Bible, an originalist view of the Constitution, and the Declaration of Independence. John McCain claims to be a “conservative”. Why would I wish to be that?
“Viable alternatives”?
1. A preferential voting system.
2. Alan Keyes (you can read his positions/credentials for yourselves).
3. Bobby Jindal (for 2012/16).
4. Duncan Hunter (my original pick).
5. Jim DeMint (for VP in 2012/16).
6. Mike Pence (another possibility for later).
7. Ted Poe (same as Pence).
But hey, while I don’t like the fact that I’ll have to suffer Obama, I’d rather suffer Obama now, if that be the case, than in 2012-2016 after McCain does his damage to the country (on top of what Bush has already done) and loses more seats in the Congress. Bush was the perfect precursor to Obama, just as Nixon and Ford were to Carter. Why “conservatives” are blind to this obvious truth is beyond me.

Send_Me on October 26, 2008 at 12:29 AM

This is not a history lesson, it is an election and two men are running.
Terrye on October 26, 2008 at 12:13 AM

And you wonder why you and “conservatives” are failing?

Send_Me on October 26, 2008 at 12:30 AM

Ric on October 26, 2008 at 12:28 AM

Send_Me on October 26, 2008 at 12:36 AM

Roger is not a liberal. At least I don’t think he is.

Terrye on October 26, 2008 at 12:26 AM

Well, I have voted in many elections and have only voted for republicans. I will hold my nose and vote for McCain the way I held my nose and voted for Bob Dole.

But this election cycle has really opened my eyes to the republican party and the problems it has. In my mind, McCain isnt a conservative nor is he articulate, has no vision, and is not a leader.

Here is the hard truth. Yes, McCain is a hero. But, the fact that he has made his POW experience a centerpiece of his campaign in the primaries and even somewhat in the general is, sorta like, bragging about the experience. A more true hero mindset would shut up about it and let it speak for itself.

But he has to bring it up a lot (or have his people bring it up a lot) because he has NO vision. All he wants to talk about are “earmarks” for Gods sake. Most people dont care that much…it is a small piece of the budget…it is a tangent that he cant get off showing his inside the beltway mindset.

And before that out of touch issue, he was out of touch with:

McCain feingold
McCain Kennedy
McCain Libeirman.

ALL pieces of sh!t brought to you by the man who NOW calls himself a maverick, called himself a maverick before the election….but DURING THE PRIMARIES LIED TO THE VOTERS AND SAID HE WAS A MAINSTREAM CONSERVATIVE.

Mitt tried to explain to everybody that Mav’s history was NOT mainstream conservative and that he didnt understand economics…but Mav teamed up with Lucifer Huckabee….and now we are going to lose….bad.

F them. Dont blame me. I voted for Romney.

Roger Waters on October 26, 2008 at 12:43 AM

Roger Waters on October 26, 2008 at 12:43 AM

You are too late, dude. Unless it is your objective to convince people to vote for The Obama, or stay home, or vote for a fringe candidate.

Ron Paul ’08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/waste of time

rockhauler on October 26, 2008 at 12:48 AM

So: Do you think maybe you can hold it together in the face of a few biased polls, princess? A few ads funded by fraudulent donations from Allah knows who? A few turncoat pundits who wouldn’t waste their Zinfandel-tinged spit on you? Do you think you can keep from browning up your panties for just 10 more days, dear heart?

This is Treacher calling you a bitch, AP.

Awesomeness.

Vyce on October 26, 2008 at 12:52 AM

Ron Paul ‘08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/waste of time

rockhauler on October 26, 2008 at 12:48 AM

Hey Jackass,

I said I am voting for McCain. As horrible as he is, he is better than Obama, Huck or Ron Paul.

Kinda stupid…..aint ya?

Roger Waters on October 26, 2008 at 12:53 AM

Ric on October 26, 2008 at 12:28 AM

Here’s some ideas fromMelanie Phillips:

The impact of the financial crisis on the American presidential election has somewhat obscured the most important reason why the prospect of an Obama presidency is giving so many people nightmares. This is the fear that, if he wins, US defences will be emasculated at a time of unprecedented international peril and the enemies of America and the free world will seize their opportunity to destroy the west.
No, the only way to assess their position is to look at each man in the round, at what his general attitude is towards war and self-defence, aggression and appeasement, the values of the west and those of its enemies and – perhaps most crucially of all – the nature of the advisers and associates to whom he is listening.
McCain believes in protecting and defending America as it is. Obama tells the world he is ashamed of America and wants to change it into something else. McCain stands for American exceptionalism, the belief that American values are superior to tyrannies. Obama stands for the expiation of America’s original sin in oppressing black people, the third world and the poor.
Obama thinks world conflicts are basically the west’s fault, and so it must right the injustices it has inflicted. That’s why he believes in ‘soft power’ — diplomacy, aid, rectifying ‘grievances’ (thus legitimising them, encouraging terror and promoting injustice) and resolving conflict by talking. As a result, he will take an axe to America’s defences at the very time when they need to be built up. He has said he will ‘cut investments in unproven missile defense systems’; he will ‘not weaponize space’; he will ‘slow our development of future combat systems’; and he will also ‘not develop nuclear weapons,’ pledging to seek ‘deep cuts’ in America’s arsenal, thus unilaterally disabling its nuclear deterrent as Russia and China engage in massive military buildups.
Obama assumes that Islamic terrorism is driven by despair, poverty, inflammatory US policy and the American presence on Muslim soil in the Persian Gulf. Thus he adopts the agenda of the Islamists themselves.
This is not surprising since many of his connections suggest that that the man who may be elected President of a country upon which the Islamists have declared war is himself firmly in the Islamists’ camp. Daniel Pipes lists Obama’s extensive connections to Islamists in general and the Nation of Islam in particular, and concludes with this astounding observation: “Obama’s multiple links to anti-Americans and subversives mean he would fail the standard security clearance process for Federal employees. Islamic aggression represents America’s strategic enemy; Obama’s many insalubrious connections raise grave doubts about his fitness to serve as America’s commander-in-chief”.
There are, alas, many in the west for whom all this is music to their ears. Whether through wickedness, ideology, stupidity or derangement, they firmly believe that the ultimate source of conflict in the world derives at root from America and Israel, whose societies, culture and values they want to see emasculated or destroyed altogether. They are drooling at the prospect that an Obama presidency will bring that about. The rest of us can’t sleep at night.

NightmareOnKStreet on October 26, 2008 at 12:56 AM

NightmareOnKStreet on October 26, 2008 at 12:56 AM

This may interest you: recent comments by Barney Frank.

Send_Me on October 26, 2008 at 1:02 AM

Hey Jackass,

Kinda stupid…..aint ya?

Roger Waters on October 26, 2008 at 12:53 AM

Yep, more than kinda stupid. I’m clearly no match for your superior powers of persuasion. I’m totally convinced and will be voting for McCain as you have instructed me.

Thanks for the help.

/totally wasted..

rockhauler on October 26, 2008 at 1:18 AM

Glad we could finally agree.

Roger Waters on October 26, 2008 at 1:19 AM

Good Lord! This is truly surreal. Raise taxes and cut defense by 25%. Maybe we can use him, Dodd, Maxine Waters,Halp-Me-Jon-Cary, etc. for live target practice for the troops. See if that’ll save a few bucks.

NightmareOnKStreet on October 26, 2008 at 1:22 AM

Send_Me on October 26, 2008 at 1:02 AM

My last post was meant for Send_Me.

NightmareOnKStreet on October 26, 2008 at 1:23 AM

If McCain loses the election, which he’s proven he’s been dying to do after wasting the surprisingly good selection of his running mate, we can all place the entire blame on Mike Huckabee for getting us into this mess. Romney wasn’t my first choice for the nomination, but he would’ve cleaned Obama’s clock in every way possible, including the economy. Huckabee took votes away from Romney, ensuring McCain would win. And as I’ve said on another thread…I’m glad he’s going down in flames because we don’t need Republican blue blood, socialism-lite running the Republican party. Let’s usher in some conservatives with some brains for 2012.

Tom Blogical on October 26, 2008 at 2:33 AM

“….running the Republican party. Let’s usher in some conservatives with some brains for 2012.

Tom Blogical on October 26, 2008 at 2:33 AM”

Amen! My thoughts EXACTLY Tom Blogical.

Lets clean house and bring in some INTELLIGENT people who have more to say than to mimic the worst arguments of the democratic left and repeatedly trott out his, admittedly, heroic ordeal. Being a POW isnt enough to win an election win you dont believe nor can you articulate republican positions in economic, foreign, and domestic policy.

Roger Waters on October 26, 2008 at 2:48 AM

Got it checked out, bandaged and left. Didn’t cost me dime, not a bad deal for $400 premium upfront to get Canada health insurance

Ric, I’m so happy to have evidence of an Obama supports’ cognitive dissonance.

Also, The major probelm with UH is moral hazard. Studies have shown we consume about 1/3 more HC then we should. Making it “free” will only worsen the problem.

VolMagic on October 26, 2008 at 5:00 AM

Roger Waters on October 26, 2008 at 2:48 AM

This is literally the stupidest thing I have ever read.

VolMagic on October 26, 2008 at 5:01 AM

I THINK JOHN BELUSHI

(from the film “Animal House”

shown in the Treacher link,

for those younger readers…)

HAD A BETTER PERSPECTIVE THAN FRUM,

ALLAHPUNDIT OR EVEN ED’s SUPPOSED

“mathematical calculation.”

Lockstein13 on October 26, 2008 at 6:26 AM

As for Frum, he can kiss my a**. The man is a hanger on.

Hey, he’s with AEI, a neocon’s paradise. What the hell did you expect him to say after McCain picked Palin instead of a wannabe like Romney? Not all the local races are lost. Bill Russell has a good chance in western Pennsylvania, now that people there have (finally!!!) decided that Murtha is getting on their nerves.

manwithblackhat on October 26, 2008 at 8:41 AM

Not tough stuff. Stupid stuff. The White House and the Senate are not mutually exclusive. Frum’s a moron.

rightwingprof on October 26, 2008 at 8:51 AM

They wouldn’t need to filibuster everything, just Supreme Court Appointments and the things that the Dems try to ram through without public approval. It can be leveraged like Clinton’s Health care proposal to give us control of congress in 2010.

If McCain were to win (esp. because of the Bradly Effect) does anyone have any question about any of these issues:
1)In the immediate aftermath, there will be vandalism to some degree, wither minor or widespread.
2)The media will hype the vandalism as the ONLY story for several months and people will believe that it was wider and more systemic then it was.
3) McCain will be even more unpopular then Bush (or at the very least he will be about the same)
4) McCain likes to be liked, and to do so he will cross the isle as much as possible to raise his approval rating. His move left makes him more of a moderate liberal, then conservative.
5) 2012 will look even worse then 2008.

Personally our ONLY chance at long term success is an Obama presidency with a non filibuster proof congress in 2008, a Conservative lead congress in 2010, and a REAL conservative to be our Republican ticket in 2012 (DeMint – Jindal?).

Most ideal situation is Obama wins electoral college, but McCain wins the popular vote. I don’t want McCain to be the last Republican president we elect in the next quarter century.

Micheal on October 26, 2008 at 8:53 AM

This is silly. Campaign cash is already assigned; it looks weak and panicky to try to divert money now. Money ain’t the problem, kids, and going Liberal (throwing money at a problem)
doesn’t help.
All of us sudden Frum realizes Senate Republicans are in tough races? This stinks.
Obama is outspending McCain at a rate of about 4 to 1.
Analogy: The New York Yankees are sitting home right now, the small market Tampa Bay Rays they outspent about 160 to 1 are in the World Series.
It’s not about how much money is spent-it still comes down to: who do you trust?

Doug on October 26, 2008 at 8:57 AM

Mr. Frum with all due respect, you wrote that moderate John McCain could appeal to independent voters who were in your view key to winning this election. Independent voters have not found John McCain appealing and conservatives of all stripes have cooled to McCain’s moderate views. Sure there have been tactical errors, McCain’s refusing to attack Obama’s associations with radicals until the last two weeks of the campaign have neutralized the power of these attacks.

The move to the center didn’t work. Time to own up to your mistakes. I wanted a full throated defense of conservatism, but none was offered. For the entire campaign, Team McCain (that includes you Frum and David Brooks -to name two names) has abandoned small government, limited powers conservatism, Rick Davis and the lot will be fired unceremoniously.

The only time McCain had a lead was after he selected the social conservative Gov. Palin. I remind you social conservatives are your base, we are not your dog. I suggest you had/have it wrong, we don’t want to be responsible Democrats in the Republican party, we want small government restrained by the limited enumerated powers of the U.S. Constitution. We want a party that is not embarrassed by social conservatives but embraces the understanding of limited government that social conservatives share with the more socially acceptable fiscal conservatives and libertarians.

You see, Mr. Frum, at the end of the day, libertarians, social conservatives and fiscal conservatives are all conservatives and all conservatives are Republicans, but not all Republicans are conservatives. Its not the party, it is the candidate. We are still a right center nation hungry for someone who speaks to us, not a moderate who speaks down to us.

In short, the campaign was poorly run, but hang this loss on the candidate and his handlers.

Angry Dumbo on October 26, 2008 at 8:58 AM

I’m not buying the 5% chance stuff. I think McCain is in the lead.

BuckNutty on October 25, 2008 at 6:27 PM

Do you think the earth is flat, too?

RayinVA on October 26, 2008 at 9:04 AM

Why, exactly, do we have to “forget McCain” and push for Republican senate majority? Why can’t we have both? I’m getting sick of these spineless pundits.

ErinF on October 26, 2008 at 9:10 AM

I’m not buying the 5% chance stuff. I think McCain is in the lead.

BuckNutty on October 25, 2008 at 6:27 PM
Do you think the earth is flat, too?

RayinVA on October 26, 2008 at 9:04 AM

I’d venture to say that BuckNutty is giving the polls a very skeptical view. And I’d say that he/she is correct in doing so. The utter inaccuracy of the polling in this election cycle from the primaries to election day will be one of the more vocal stories on November 5th. Anyone going to be surprised when the MSM starts declaring the election over based on the exit polling on election night? Gee… where have we heard that one before?

Drunken Angry Clown on October 26, 2008 at 9:14 AM

Do you think the earth is flat, too?

RayinVA on October 26, 2008 at 9:04 AM

No, but I think somebody should read what Ann Coulter has said about the recent history of election polls. If you’re not careful, you might learn something.

manwithblackhat on October 26, 2008 at 9:14 AM

Obama is now campainging with Bill CLinton at his side.

Does anyone here really think this would be necessary
if the “polls” were anything CLOSE to being accurate?!

Lockstein13 on October 26, 2008 at 9:14 AM

The GOP will be get a damn good pounding and it’ll be well deserved. And I find gallows humor in watching McCain, who has double crossed us so many times, getting a taste of his own medicine. In the aftermath, our job will be to keep Sarah alive and kicking a$$.

dhimwit on October 26, 2008 at 9:20 AM

Lockstein13 on October 26, 2008 at 9:14 AM

Does anybody still think this guy is an asset? My God, even Hillary leaves him at home!

manwithblackhat on October 26, 2008 at 9:21 AM

In the aftermath, our job will be to keep Sarah alive and kicking a$$.

If it comes to that, it’s Palin/Jindal 2012!!!

manwithblackhat on October 26, 2008 at 9:22 AM

I’ve been working as a GOP volunteer this year, and can tell you that Frum is nuts.

For the past month people have been pouring in looking for McCain/Palin lawn signs. When we ran out 2 weeks ago we purchased an additional 300+ which are almost gone. Having been at the GOP HQ during the previous 2 election cycles I can tell you that I’ve never seen such a turnout from my community.

Yes, we have been working to get our local politicians elected, and yes, we do special events for them, but I am certain that McCain will have the coat tails to get my GOP politicians elected here in lower Michigan even though he abandoned us 2 months ago.

In the meantime, the B.H.O. campaign is running scared.

DannoJyd on October 26, 2008 at 9:25 AM

dhimwit on October 26, 2008 at 9:20 AM

After all we know about Obama, your petty and selfish comments reflect very poorly on yourself. You can’t be this stupid. And there’s more did you know that:

MSM Holds Video Of Barack Obama Attending Jew-Bash & Toasting a Former PLO Operative… Refuse to Release the Video

“During the dinner a young Palestinian American recited a poem accusing the Israeli government of terrorism in its treatment of Palestinians and sharply criticizing U.S. support of Israel. If Palestinians cannot secure their own land, she said, “then you will never see a day of peace.”

One speaker likened “Zionist settlers on the West Bank” to Osama bin Laden, saying both had been “blinded by ideology.”

Barack Obama also praised the former PLO operative during the event.
And, Obama confessed that his family often shared dinner with the Khalidis:

His many talks with the Khalidis, Obama said, had been “consistent reminders to me of my own blind spots and my own biases… It’s for that reason that I’m hoping that, for many years to come, we continue that conversation — a conversation that is necessary not just around Mona and Rashid’s dinner table,” but around “this entire world.”

Obama associates himself with the dregs of society. A domestic terrorist who has never been punished, is unrepentant and has collaborated with Obama on many causes. His racist preacher who taught black liberation theology and believes that the government created HIV AIDS to kill blacks worldwide. And now, Arab terrorists who he had invited to his house for dinner with his family.

And you are gleefully dancing on the grave of McCain’s run for office, McCain is the only one who is standing up against Obama. You disgust me.

wise_man on October 26, 2008 at 9:33 AM

Wise_man,

Don’t went your diapers. I will vote the ticket because the alternative will be unspeakably bad. We all must deal with the nightmare according our temperament; some weep, some laugh.

dhimwit on October 26, 2008 at 9:48 AM

I should have said your attitude disgusts me. I’m sure you are an upstanding person with a kind heart.

wise_man on October 26, 2008 at 9:50 AM

our ONLY chance at long term success is an Obama presidency with a non filibuster proof congress in 2008, a Conservative lead congress in 2010, and a REAL conservative to be our Republican ticket in 2012 (DeMint – Jindal?).Micheal on October 26, 2008 at 8:53 AM

Thank God you are only a commentator and have no actual say in formulating Republican strategy, because you have no idea what you are talking about.

ManlyRash on October 26, 2008 at 9:53 AM

Is it really necessary to put anything David Frum or David Brooks or Chris Hithins says on Hot Air ?

kangjie on October 26, 2008 at 10:00 AM

No, it isn’t.

wise_man on October 26, 2008 at 10:01 AM

Happy you have the luxury of fretting about other people’s hearts. Worry more about the national shipwreck that’s about to happen.

dhimwit on October 26, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Yup. If Obama is elected, it will be a shipwreck. I’m doing my part to see that this doesn’t happen. Are you?

wise_man on October 26, 2008 at 10:48 AM

AP

Weak medicine. Holding the Senate under veto proof socialism won’t do anything meaningful. Socialism must be stopped at the top.

Jaibones on October 26, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Allah, we have trawl around the net find what’s going on in the campaign while you keep posting about what parker or Brooks or Frum thinks. Who gives a damn what they think? Sarah and Mccain are launching substantial attacks against the Obamapods and yet nothing about that gets play here. All we seem to get is the gabfest of the cocktail set. We are sickened, we are tired and we are bored.

It’s your blog, fine, but doesn’t a good blogger owe something to his longtime readers? We have an historic election to win and please post something solid once in a while.

These days hillbuzz and noquarter are more comfort than hotair.

promachus on October 26, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Do you actually see America moving to the right after a McCain presidency? During it will be a slight shift to the left and after what will likely be a 1 term presidency that will make G.H.W. Bush look like a maganumus president, do you honestly see a conservative option.

The only thing I could see happen is (God forbid) McCain dies in office and we have a conservative while Palin resides in the Oval Office.

I cannot cast a vote with the hope that someone dies.

Micheal on October 26, 2008 at 12:24 PM

manwithblackhat on October 26, 2008 at 9:14 AM

The Bradley Effect has been thoroughly debunked. If you’d stop reading Ann Coulter, you might learn something.

RayinVA on October 26, 2008 at 1:06 PM

DannoJyd on October 26, 2008 at 9:25 AM

I am seeing a strong pro McCain/Palin move except among hard core DEMs and blacks. I have met several women who are going to vote McCain to keep Obama out. They possess true rage. I live in SE Michigan in DEM country near Detroit

I would like to forget about Frump, Noonan, Kristol et al but the MSM won’t let me. They are trumpeted as the voice of the conservative.

Where is the voice of McCain/Palin?

Columnists who say they will endorse McCain despite [fill in the blank] are hardly promoting him. In the last two weeks of a campaign, you either go whole hog or get out of the way.

Good columns later will not make up for a bad election

entagor on October 26, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Frum and and his friends with their push to move the Republican party left of center have a lot to do with the indecision in the Republican party.

It’s time to get back to a few of Reagans principles.

davod on October 26, 2008 at 2:52 PM

“2. Alan Keyes (you can read his positions/credentials for yourselves).”

Don’t be silly. He is unelectable.

davod on October 26, 2008 at 2:59 PM

“2. Alan Keyes (you can read his positions/credentials for yourselves).”
Don’t be silly. He is unelectable.
davod on October 26, 2008 at 2:59 PM

You prove my point nicely. The man is viewed as “unelectable” because “conservatives” don’t have the spine to vote for someone who shares their beliefs. Imagine if “conservatives” had the guts to vote their conscience, vote for someone who embodies their so-called “principles”, rather than constantly voting for the least of the evils between the Republicans and Democrats. Imagine what would have happened if folks never broke ranks with the Whigs. “Conservatives” need to stop being sheep and think for themselves for a change.

Send_Me on October 26, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Wish I booked this one site. There were people that changed their minds on Obama. But reading their spew. They seemed to be Liberal and ticked off Dems. Or some are just saying these things to trick us. They are hoping we won’t go vote. I will for sure. Will be horrible if the Dems. get by with who knows what?

sheebe on October 26, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Interesting. I do not welcome the Obama presidency if it comes to pass. However, I see opportunity for conservatives in terms of the bailout. With Dems coming to power everybody from bankers to insurers to automakers are lining up to tap into my taxpaying pocket. Sorry I don’t pay taxes for the government to bail out bad businesses. The cost of these bailouts is perhaps the single greatest issue to most Americans right now. The bailout is not popular, but we have nobody on our side.

President Obama and his party will likely sign off on these bailouts and claim like our current president Bush that the bailouts are necessary. This is a huge opportunity for the party NOT in power to take a principled position.

Will they take it?

Angry Dumbo on October 26, 2008 at 6:53 PM

I strongly disagree. Obama has overpromised. The reign of Heaven will not come to Earth and it will be obvious by March of 2009. I’d hate to be a Democratic Senator running for election in 2010. The Republicans including Snowe(R-ME) and Collins(R-ME) should filibuster everything. Obviously, the Republicans should also admit that it was stupidity in the extreme when they wanted to overturn the filibuster for a few court appointments that weren’t important in the big picture.

thuja on October 26, 2008 at 10:33 PM