Video: Fred Thompson warns of Obama presidency

posted at 11:35 am on October 24, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

The RNC has a new campaign video today, and it’s not one that will fit into a 30-second spot. Fred Thompson talks for over twelve minutes about what a Barack Obama presidency would mean for America and the world. They’re talking hope and change, all right, but what exactly would that mean?

James Pethokoukis made similar points this morning in US News (emphases in the original):

1) I find it hard to believe that fears about a deep recession are suddenly dawning upon investors and thus are solely responsible for kneecapping the market. I’ve been hearing such dire forecasts for weeks from top Wall Street economists, and I really think they’re already baked into the cake. (And credit markets actually look like they are finally picking up a bit—a plus for stocks.) So with that perception locked in, maybe the future political landscape is finally playing a greater role in the minds of investors, especially with polls showing a possible landslide Obama win and big Democratic congressional majorities. Is it really more plausible to suggest no effect whatsoever from a possible once-a-generation, political sea change, especially one that moves away from the winning economic formula of the past 25 years ? Not even a smidgen of worry? C’mon, now.

2) Obama wants to raise capital gains taxes on a good chunk of the money currently in the market. Nearly 80 percent of total stock holdings are held by people who would be subjected to higher investment taxes. Not only does that hurt their future after-tax returns, but it also undercuts the future productivity of the economy, thus crimping the future stream of earnings generated by corporate America. So the whole stock market will suffer from a sort of collective tax punishment. Hey, even potential Obama [T]reasury secretary Jamie Dimon thinks raising taxes right now is a goofy idea.

5) Then there’s the Great Experiment of 2009. In 1980, anxious Americans voted for lower taxes and smaller government as the solution to the nation’s economic ills. Would the opposite prescription also have led to a 25-year economic boom? With Obamanomics, voters may be about to play a fascinating game of “what if.” Except it’s for real. When Goldman Sachs ran a sophisticated economic simulation of the effect of a total repeal of the Bush tax cuts, the computer predicted a 3 percentage-point drop in GDP. Maybe investors fear that with perhaps a trillion-dollar budget gap ahead, revenue-hungry Dems will raise taxes further than Team Obama is suggesting—right into the teeth of a weak economy. What if, indeed.

Thompson lays out all of the potential economic side effects of allowing hard-Left ideologues to dictate market policies, and taxes are just the beginning of it.  They mean to reverse course from the 1980 starting point and return us to the policies that brought us the economic decline of the 1960s and 1970s.  It may not quite be Herbert Hoover jacking taxes up in 1932, but it will have a similar effect, and in the end we’ll be left debating the scale of the disaster, not whether it happened.

We do not need “change” that takes us back to stagflation or a depression.  We need to make capital work, which requires a lowering of risk and an easing of burdens, not a multiplication of both.  Democrats seem determined to turn a harsh correction after a bubble into a global economic crash, and Barack Obama wants to lead the way to it.

Be sure to watch the whole video.  It’s well worth it, and has the added bonus of seeing Fred! getting into the game.

Comments

Damn! I miss Fred! I wish he was our candidate.

Nevertheless, wouldn’t it be wise for McCain to put out there publicly those he would put in cabinet positions? It would only stand to help him at this point. If he would include Romney, Thompson, Giuliani, Petraeus, and Pickens, it would be a great team!

ErinF on October 24, 2008 at 11:40 AM

HOPE AND CHANGE means they:

HOPE the Senate has an untethered Harry Reid and

Nancy Pelosi will CHANGE the rules to steamroll the house.

Change means that our enemies will no longer fear our leader.

Hope means our enemies hope Obama wins, so they can be more successful.

originalpechanga on October 24, 2008 at 11:40 AM

ErinF on October 24, 2008 at 11:40 AM

I know. Stand them up along side Daschle, Kerry, etal and it’d be comical.

lorien1973 on October 24, 2008 at 11:42 AM

And his wife, Jeri, was great on H&C…when Colmes wasn’t talking over her. Nothing more pleasant than watching a sensible, great-looking woman dish out to Alan Colmes.

BuckeyeSam on October 24, 2008 at 11:43 AM

ErinF on October 24, 2008 at 11:40 AM

I agree with that. Speaking of Guiliani, he’s going to be in Virginia Beach this Saturday, for any of you in this area. I like him.

But I love Fred! I just need 12 minutes of uninterrupted time to watch the video now.

Anna on October 24, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Yea, same kind of alarmist views that were broadcast before Bubba’s election in 1992. In fact, in that year most GOP Senators predicted that Clinton election would usher in a massive recession, rather than buttressing the bond market and enabling both economic budget and massive deficit cuts. Greenspan and Ruben knew better in that year, and today people like Warren Buffet have helped shape Obama’s economic policy. I trust Buffet more than Fred on the economy or the effects of changes in the tax code on the performance of corporate America.

bayam on October 24, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Wish they would run this after obama’s 30 min commercial.

dmarie on October 24, 2008 at 11:45 AM

If we manage to survive the Liberal Super Majoirty, hopefully the economic and foreign policy failures will discredit that party forever.

I only wish we didn`t have to suffer so badly.

ThePrez on October 24, 2008 at 11:46 AM

BuckeyeSam on October 24, 2008 at 11:43 AM

I did see her appearance on H&C — she was awesome… really spanked Colmes.

D2Boston on October 24, 2008 at 11:48 AM

FRED!

ballz2wallz on October 24, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Come back to us, Fred! Come back! You too, Mitt.

Spanglemaker on October 24, 2008 at 11:50 AM

I voted for Fred! Sadly, this was after the “presumptive nominee” had already been decided.

Remember last year when McCain was the only candidate we never bothered mentioning in these talkbacks?

saint kansas on October 24, 2008 at 11:52 AM

I wish he were going to be our president.

CP on October 24, 2008 at 11:52 AM

Fred was the best conservative option in the primaries and I voted for him enthusiastically. He makes the conservative case more eloquently and more consistently than any major political figure.

liberty on October 24, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Nice.

Count to 10 on October 24, 2008 at 11:54 AM

We do not need “change” that takes us back to stagflation or a depression. We need to make capital work, which requires a lowering of risk and an easing of burdens, not a multiplication of both. Democrats seem determined to turn a harsh correction after a bubble into a global economic crash, and Barack Obama wants to lead the way to it.

If you beleive in the Global Warming Al Gore preaches to the masses about, a declining Economy is exactly what we need to ‘save the Earth’

jp on October 24, 2008 at 11:56 AM

BuckeyeSam on October 24, 2008 at 11:43 AM

I watched them too. I couldn’t stop screaming at my TeeVee, “Shut up Colmes…just shut up and let the women talk. Let finish a sentence!”

But, then again, I’m always screaming a that a**hat every time I hear him.

Miserable piece of cheese that he is.

She held her ground against him very well however.

I love a strong conservative women.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on October 24, 2008 at 11:57 AM

dmarie I agree. We should let the RNC know.

CaCa on October 24, 2008 at 11:58 AM

I love Fred! but man he can talk a long long time.

Micheal on October 24, 2008 at 11:58 AM

FReeeeeeeeeeeeed! :( Damn.

ihasurnominashun on October 24, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Good Video, I agree… thanks Ed!

upinak on October 24, 2008 at 12:01 PM

In that video Fred said:

“How we respond to the economic crisis is more important than the crisis itself.”

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Weight of Glory on October 24, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Jeri scared the pants off of Skeletor last night! It was great to see! LOL!

Fred Heads unite and vote McCain/Palin!

Love the Fred!

freeus on October 24, 2008 at 12:04 PM

This needs to be on TV…undecideds aren’t going to sit through in on the Internet….come on RNC

elraphbo on October 24, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Saw a great bumper sticker on another blog;
Cuba got Change in 1959

sannhet on October 24, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Fred,
You are absolutely the man.
Fox news, please run this in prime time.
Elsewhere – My dog George passed from this earth yesterday
and I am grief stricken. He was the sweetest of God’s creations.
Fortunately all dogs go to heaven, most politicians go elsewhere.

esblowfeld on October 24, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Can anyone here name anybody out there with a better understanding of this Country, these perilous times and the leadership we need right now, than Fred Thompson?

ChrisM on October 24, 2008 at 12:13 PM

And this is the #1 reason why I wish Fred Thompson had been the Republican Presidential candidate.

B.O. would have never stood a frigging chance!

I would like to see this video sent to as many people as humanly possible between now and Election Day.

This seriously needs to be seen!

pilamaye on October 24, 2008 at 12:14 PM

I could weep.

How did we not get this man as our candidate?

ToddonCapeCod on October 24, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Real nice job by Fred. Wish Mac could communicate this clearly. Ah well, he’s way better than the alternative.

james23 on October 24, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Really great. A little long, but really great. I wish they could run this after Obama’s 30 minute TV spot, just before the election.

Star20 on October 24, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Maybe they can break it up into 30 second soundbites and running it that same evening.

dmarie on October 24, 2008 at 12:22 PM

I miss him so. dang. much.

Mommypundit on October 24, 2008 at 12:22 PM

I was a Fredhead too and close to anti-McCain way-back-when, but I’ve been to 3 McCain rallies in VA and will go see Palin this Monday at another one, and I am AMAZED at the energy of McCain at these rallies.

He was ON FIRE when I saw him last week…..Fred is great at these youtubes and I love having him doing them.

btw, nothing would help the economy more than a McCain victory. Nothing. Media won’t say it though. I have friends and family complaining about their 401(k)s and investments and still have enough guilt to want to pull the lever for the socialist metrosexual freak.

Let’s roll!

ex-Democrat on October 24, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Chicago style politics (chicago now has more homicides than NYC) coming to DC. It ain’t cheating if you don’t get caught (and you can only get caught if you are a Republican).

Divided government is our only hope.

Angry Dumbo on October 24, 2008 at 12:25 PM

esblowfeld on October 24, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Very sorry for your loss. Take care!

ihasurnominashun on October 24, 2008 at 12:27 PM

My dog George passed from this earth yesterday
and I am grief stricken. He was the sweetest of God’s creations. Fortunately all dogs go to heaven, most politicians go elsewhere. – esblowfeld on October 24, 2008 at 12:12 PM

I’m sorry for your loss. When I compare the behavior of dogs with other animals I’m forced to conclude that dogs are the superior creatures. When I compare the behavior of men with dogs, I must confess that I am puzzled.

ManlyRash on October 24, 2008 at 12:28 PM

I am shocked that anyone would believe Obama and Co. actually want an improved economy. A total financial meltdown will sweep into place the socialist, UN-controlled world he envisions.

T J Green on October 24, 2008 at 12:28 PM

How on earth is this guy NOT our candidate?

If McCain loses, I blame the voters in the early republican primaries. And those who took their brains from their skulls and voted for Huckabee.

TheBlueSite on October 24, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Finally! Something Fred! is useful for.

csdeven on October 24, 2008 at 12:37 PM

bayam:
We had a tax cut during the Clinton years and then a exaggerated tech bubble that was paid for near the end of his 2nd term.

Vince on October 24, 2008 at 12:39 PM

I remember listening to Reagan back then. He made sacrifice sound patriotic. That was when I became not just a Republican anymore, but a conservative Republican.

Connie on October 24, 2008 at 12:40 PM

You are a tremendous asset, Fred. Thanks for all you do.

wise_man on October 24, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Matter of fact, we needed another tax cut to help defeat Clinton’s recession.

Vince on October 24, 2008 at 12:40 PM

This is very much the talk I’d give. So I like it! I’d go into Obama’s character more though. How he shifts and shapes and shades about Wright and Ayers. How he talks moderate, votes and acts far left. His off-the-charts naive foreign policy. How his tax the rich economic policy will slow the engine of economic growth. And to repeat, that he talks moderate, acts far left.

Paul-Cincy on October 24, 2008 at 12:52 PM

I loved his comment on Joe the plummer. 8:45 – 9:30

“This is the reason they don’t understand Joe the Plumber. Just because he doesn’t have a higher income today, they assume that he never will. And he believes that he never will. They expect him to resent anyone who is doing better than he is. Instead of planning on doing better himself.

They don’t understand the ‘Joes’ of the world. Never have, never will.”

Compare that to this statement:

Also revealed: His boss’s business probably doesn’t bring in anywhere near $250,000 a year so he should stop dreaming about turning it into one that does and what that might mean for his taxes.

Nuance.

wise_man on October 24, 2008 at 12:56 PM

At this point I could care less is Fred is a moonshiner chasin’, Libyan terrorist enablin’, abortionist lobbyist.

GO GET’EM FRED!

tommylotto on October 24, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Not just change, but responsible change.

Thank you, Fred. You’re right. They don’t get it. An Obama society would foster laziness and nonproductivity. With the Democrats in charge of all 3 branches of government, we would no longer be inching toward a nanny state, but would, in fact, be leaping into one.

Connie on October 24, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Esblowfeld- condolences, that’s a rough one….

Fred said it in 12 minutes. He makes the case clear. Hopefully it gets in front of a large audience before Nov. 4.

FireBlogger on October 24, 2008 at 1:07 PM

2012 – Fred! / Palin
2016 – Palin! / Jindal

BowHuntingTexas on October 24, 2008 at 1:41 PM

I miss Fred. He and Jeri are a true conservative Power Couple!

Jeri annihilated Alan Colmes last night!

Check out

TeamSarah.org

rightwingmom on October 24, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Esblowfeld, my condolences on the passing of
your dog.

Mulligan on October 24, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Damn, why couldn’t Fred have been this clear and eloquent when he started his campaign!!!!!!?????

Great video.

J.J. Sefton on October 24, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Fred if you had taken your delegates to the convention you would have had a small platform to bring people over to the GOP

Instead you helped neutralize Romney as a voice so you had better get talking now. You owe me the speeches I never got to hear

entagor on October 24, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Where was this Fred during the primaries? Folks, it’s time to read Atlas Shrugged again.

scullymj on October 24, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Fred, Watching your beautiful, smart wife made me miss you even more, that you aren’t our presidential choice.

If McCain makes it, to POTUS, please advise him to fire every Clinton appointee lefty lawyer at the DOJ!!!

I’m a survivor of MDS, a “Madame DeFarge State-of-Mind”, and there’s only one cure…nuke the libs and rebuild the Republican party.

luvstotango on October 24, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Fred was always this clear and eloquent. He just got sandbagged by the media. I don’t know if wide distribution of this video is a good idea or not. It points out starkly what we could have had instead of what we got. Of course it also points out what we will get if we don’t elect McCain.

duff65 on October 24, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Is it too late to replace McCain with Teh Fred?

Tzetzes on October 24, 2008 at 2:39 PM

FRED! He’s that awesome.

baxtrice on October 24, 2008 at 2:57 PM

That was about 8 minutes too long…

Wyznowski on October 24, 2008 at 3:12 PM

tommylotto on October 24, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Bwahahahahahaa!!!

csdeven on October 24, 2008 at 3:17 PM

liberty on October 24, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Yeah, it looks like that now. But back when the decision was critical, we had great minds, typified by the likes of csdeven, who knew better.

George Washington, perhaps our greatest President, did not campaign at all for that office. He accepted his election reluctantly. Fire in the belly, indeed.

jgapinoy on January 1, 2008 at 7:19 PM

jgapinoy on January 1, 2008 at 7:19 PM
GW won the revolutionary war. He didn’t have to prove anything to anybody because he had a very substantial body of work to qualify him for the job. Fred has had a reputation for being lazy and that’s been around way before this year. He has a lot to prove and he is so stubborn about it, his defense to the contrary falls mostly on deaf ears.

csdeven on January 1, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Uh huh. Oh, and by the way:

Reagan had a reputation for being lazy.

jgapinoy on January 2, 2008 at 8:54 AM

So, watching Fred’s video, who do you think would be a better top of the ticket to go with Sarah Cuda? Hmmmm?

smellthecoffee on October 24, 2008 at 3:26 PM

I see that cs is still with us. I feel all tingly.

duff65 on October 24, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Fred Thompson Supreme Court Justice!

TheSitRep on October 24, 2008 at 3:59 PM

A while back I meet this catholic priest, who was a great man. Thanks to him I was able to turn my life around. He said to once if any body promises you change run away from him, probably he will wreck your life. Just remember the only one who always want change is the devil that how he take your soul. A couple of weeks I was thinking about him and how good he was to me. Six years ago this great man was decapitated by muslin in Nigeria. He’s only crime help people to believe in themselves and to have hope in their lives. Every time Obama talks about change I know I have to run away from him. God Help us if he gets elected.

pukara61 on October 24, 2008 at 4:02 PM

Wow. This video only makes me upset all the more that Fred is not the man who is currently facing Obama for the presidency. That was a truly powerful twelve minutes.

Jockolantern on October 24, 2008 at 4:59 PM

I’m reminded of Plato’s telling of Socrate’s observation that the best men to lead are too wise to seek the job. Fred’s thoughtful and gentlemanly way of making a point so sharp it cuts deep is unfortunately above the electorate and the media’s feverish pitch.

If McCain pulls it out he’s certainly due a high profile postition.

rcl on October 24, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Fred Thompson Supreme Court Justice!

TheSitRep on October 24, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Yes, I’m sure he’s at the top of Obama’s list…

Tzetzes on October 24, 2008 at 6:34 PM

WOW. I’m voting Fred/Sarah!

Ops. Sorry. That was just a dream. :(

mustang1 on October 24, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Ah, real Straight Talk, from a real Conservative.

Gatordoug on October 24, 2008 at 7:16 PM

Fred! for the Supreme Court.

I mean he got 2 Justices through.

- The Cat

MirCat on October 24, 2008 at 7:34 PM

P.S.

Fred Thompson Supreme Court Justice!

TheSitRep on October 24, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Woops, didn’t see that, so ummmmm 2nded

MirCat on October 24, 2008 at 7:35 PM

A rapier thrust into the Empty Suit that deflates it is more needed at this late state than Cicero-ish talk.

OBAMA~ in your head you know he’s red.

And:

Obama- it’s his wealth now.

profitsbeard on October 24, 2008 at 8:01 PM

My man Fred… what could have been. Sigh.

The market would have soared with the election of Thompson or Romney; Huckabee made sure that McCain was the GOP candidate.

And no, I’m not suggesting Thompson could have bested Romney for the ticket.

electric-rascal on October 24, 2008 at 9:01 PM

B.O. would have never stood a frigging chance!
….
pilamaye on October 24, 2008 at 12:14 PM

I’d have even settled for Fred being the nominee just long enough to humiliate Obama in 3 debates. He would have very calmly, almost sleepily, laid out what was wrong with Obama’s answers.

The media, of course, would still have declared Obama the winner, but he would have bled votes with each debate.

McCain needs to recruit Fred to speak out more. He’s the perfect antidote to Obama’s hypnotized zombies.

Oh, and bayam: nice try. Clinton’s economy coasted a couple years on the strength of the economy coming off the Reagan Revolution. The 1994 Republican takeover of Congress kept any more damage from being done.

Not that the Obama camp has even that to brag about, since they’ve rejected Clinton’s economic policies just as much as Reagan’s. They want to go back to the economic policies of Jimmy Carter, which, in typical insane liberal fashion, they actually expect to result in prosperity this time around.

I say insane, because that is the very definition of insanity: to keep trying the same thing over and over while expecting a different result.

theregoestheneighborhood on October 24, 2008 at 9:09 PM

Wow. I miss the Fred.

In spite of how this election turns out, we really need to reform this nominating process to allow candidates with this quality to rise to the top.

First, the Republican Party needs to make sure ONLY Republicans are voting in our primaries.

Second, we need to make sure there are only 4 or 5 participants in the debates. What did we start with, 50 guys on stage? The people on stage outnumbered the audience for gods sake. Nobody can get enough time to rise to the top. In an hour debate each guy got to talk, what 3 minutes?

Third, whose party is this anyway? Why have the tanning bed media moderate the debates? Pick someone from the Heritage Foundation, a deep conservative thinker, to moderate and ask the questions. Or Mark Levin. Or even ME. No more of this gotcha, ‘show of hands on global warming’ bullsh*t. Actually, Fred! was the only one who handled that well, refusing to participate, calling out the moderator and distinguishing himself from the pack.

Really, though, Fred would have made this pimply assed Obama punk look like a boy running for a man’s job. And Thompson/Palin would have been a run away freight train staring down the barrel of a landslide.

Instead, we might eke out this win. Or we might have FuhrerObama for the next 20 years.

pistolero on October 24, 2008 at 9:57 PM

I miss him so. dang. much.

Mommypundit on October 24, 2008 at 12:22 PM

So do I. I still have my Fred ’08 sticker on my car.

Glynn on October 24, 2008 at 10:26 PM

How did we not get this man as our candidate?

ToddonCapeCod on October 24, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Triple-combination:

1) More uneducated people than ever before
2) Uber-liberal news media that won’t tell the truth and protects their faves
3) A long stretch of relatively good economic times… people think they can vote for the one that “looks and sounds good” and good time will continue.

If Obama is elected, the good times are GONE for quite a while.

electric-rascal on October 24, 2008 at 11:37 PM