“John Galt” donating to Obama this year too, apparently; Update: RNC files new complaint with FEC; Update: Foreign credit cards being accepted too? Update: Ruffini cries fraud

posted at 12:50 pm on October 23, 2008 by Allahpundit

I’m ripping the content straight from Powerline. Ace actually had the story last night, but it was only a single source; PL claims in an update that other readers have replicated the experiment. Quote:

I went to the Obama campaign website and entered the following:

Name: John Galt
Address: 1957 Ayn Rand Lane
City: Galts Gulch
State: CO
Zip: 99999

Then I checked the box next to $15 and entered my actual credit card number and expiration date (it didn’t ask for the 3-didgit code on the back of the card) and it took me to the next page and… “Your donation has been processed. Thank you for your generous gift.”

This simply should not, and could not, happen in any business or any campaign that is honestly trying to vet it’s donors. Also, I don’t see how this could possibly happen without the collusion of the credit card companies. They simply wouldn’t allow any business to process, potentially, hundreds of millions in credit card transactions where the name on the card doesn’t match the purchasers name.

In short, with the system set up as it is by the Obama camp, an individual could donate unlimited amounts of money by simply making up fake names and addresses. And Obama is doing his best to facilitate this fraud. This is truly scandalous.

The same guy claims to have tried to donate the same way on McCain’s website and had his card rejected. I’m skeptical that The One would be quite this blatant about things, but (a) at the Corner, Mark Steyn notes that the only way to get his own online merchandising vendor to bypass a name check when processing credit card information would be to modify certain security settings, and (b) this wouldn’t be the first time Team Barry’s website had dragged its feet on online donation security measures. From Ken Timmerman’s much-linked piece at Newsmax last month: “Unlike McCain’s or Sen. Hillary Clinton’s online donation pages, the Obama site did not ask for proof of citizenship until just recently. Clinton’s presidential campaign required U.S. citizens living abroad to actually fax a copy of their passport before a donation would be accepted.” Meanwhile, in response to his earlier post on this, Geraghty receives this e-mail from an Obama supporter:

Back in August or September (not sure which) Obama’s site definitely would not take my money because I was entering my school address instead of my permanent (parent’s) one. I remember being slightly annoyed at the time. I just tried it to donate again using my school address and it went through no problem. That’s more than a bit disappointing.

Hopefully, the suspect funds will be returned. Almost 2 million was refunded just last month.

There’s definitely no excuse for this though.

Any readers willing and able to help confirm or debunk? Knowledge of online vending a plus! Also a plus: Tolerance for being called a hater or racist for questioning the security measures of a guy who famously hasn’t released any information about his many, many, many small donors. If you succeed, your reward will be watching the media pounce on this story — to find out who “John Galt” is, so that they can give him a beating Joe-the-Plumber-style.

Update: A reader tells Steyn that his donation as “JarackBoe BOamabiden” was accepted.

Update: Lots more info at Ace’s from readers who are replicating the experiment. Question: Is it possible that the website’s showing a “transaction confirmed” message before the transaction’s actually confirmed, and all these donations are being rejected later?

Update: Reader “Dale in Atlanta” says he tried it with a fake name and the transaction showed up on his credit card immediately — but marked “pending.” We’ll find out later today if it clears.

Update: Just across from the RNC:

The Republican National Committee (RNC) today filed a supplement to its complaint with the Federal Election Commission (FEC) against the Obama for America campaign addressing its acceptance of foreign national and excessive contributions, donations from unknown sources, and demonstrated lack of oversight or concern for compliance with the law. The complaint demonstrates that the Obama campaign has failed to comply with federal campaign finance law in its fundraising. RNC Chief Counsel Sean Cairncross released the following statement today concerning the supplement to the complaint:

“Based on numerous press accounts that have come to light since our initial filing in early October, it is clear that the Obama for America campaign is operating outside of the law. The complete and total lack of any control mechanisms within the Obama campaign’s fundraising operation has undermined any confidence in their ability to curtail excessive, foreign, and fraudulent contributions and demands immediate attention from the Federal Election Commission (FEC).”

Update: Here’s something a reader sent me, for what it’s worth:

I recently set up credit card processing for my startup company and the way it works is the vender (ie me, or Obama’s campaign) selects whether the info must match what is on the card. If they opt not to they accept the risk of being flagged after too many fradulent charges are reported by them to the credit card companies. Since these people are (presumably) using their actual credit card and just giving a different name to avoid the donation limits I doubt they’ll file complaints about the charges with their card company.

So the only time you would ever do this is if you know your clients really well. The only reason I can think of for Obama’s campaign to do this is to avoid the donations cap. The fact that this isn’t all over the media is truly a shame.

Update: Unbelievable. Suddenly, after multiple blog readers had their phony donations accepted and this story started percolating on right-wing blogs, the security system is magically back in place.

Update: I don’t know what happened to the guy in the last update but Flip says he successfully donated five bucks at 2:05 p.m. with the following info:

Name: Nodda Realperson
Address: 1000 This Is a Bogus Street
City/State: Neighborhood of Makebelieve, CA
Email: if.a.live.person.is.vetting.this.donation@its.fake.dont.process.it.com
Employer: Barack Obama
Occupation: Cow-Eyed Disciple

A friend e-mails to ask if anyone’s tried this with a foreign credit card to see if there’s any difference. Anyone got one?

Update: Commenter “Bombast” says his foreign credit card worked like a charm:

I have a credit card issued by a bank in Hong Kong.

I’ve just made 5 donations of $5 each using the card. I listed fake addresses in North Korea, Iran, Gaza, Venezuela and Kenya. The names and addresses were made up, each was different, I listed real Yahoo email addresses that forward to me.

Fake Name
Not A. Realperson
Finance Violation
Fraudulent Charge
Over Donation Limit

All 5 went through without a problem. I’m already being solicited for more money.

Update: One of Jonah Goldberg’s readers says he tried this at McCain’s website and was rejected.

Update: Patrick Ruffini was Bush’s web guy in 2004 and specializes in online campaign finance, so he knows what he’s talking about here. Verdict: Fraud.

The issue centers around the Address Verification Service (or AVS) that credit card processors use to sniff out phony transactions. I was able to contribute money using an address other than the one on file with my bank account (I used an address I control, just not the one on my account), showing that the Obama campaign deliberately disabled AVS for its online donors…

The end result? “Donors” like “Doodad Pro” can submit tons of donations totaling well above the $2,300 limit using different bogus addresses (this does clarify how donations from “Palestine”, or PA, got through). And the campaign has no way to reliably de-dupe these donations, besides looking at the last four digits of the credit card number, which with 3.1 million donors is an identifier that could be shared by literally hundreds of donors, and is not as easy to eyeball like a common name or address would be. The ability to contribute with a false address, when the technology to prevent it not only exists but comes standard, is a green light for fraud.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

A crook, a liar and a CHEAT…. Pathetic.

reshas1 on October 23, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Good Lord people. STOP. Quit donating to Obama’s campaign even to prove he is a crook and liar.

Sue on October 23, 2008 at 2:33 PM

those racist republicans.

trying to stop the voice of George Soros the people..

DaveC on October 23, 2008 at 2:33 PM

UPDATE On Dale In Atlanta:

Okay, I just called my Bank; I told them what I did as well.

They told me that the Charge would go thru, nothing to do to stop it; but they did say in 3 – 5 days, I could file a Fraudulent Charges claim, and get the money back.

I said since I knowingly did it, it would be hard to claim it was a “fraud”; and he said, the onus was on the “merchant”, because they did not verify the information.

He explained to me that Visa, has VERY strict Rules regarding security and verifications, and he said that if the Obama campaign is NOT verifying Billing info/the Security code, they are in violation of the Rules laid out by Visa, and they should get in “trouble” for it!

He seemed really, really shocked about this, and said like twice during our conversation, “I can’t believe their website does this, it’s really, really no good…!”

Anyway, he immediately cancelled my Card for me, will issue a new one, and will block the Account from further activity on this specific account number; but that $15 is in the Bank for Obama, unless I file a Fraudulent Charges claim!

Anyone else know anything about this, and is the guy at the Bank correct?

Dale in Atlanta on October 23, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Those that contributed need to call their local media outlets to explain what happened. We can’t sit on this and expect it to run up to Wolf’s desk. We have to take action. This is scandalous. Nixon would have been very proud of Barry!

jawbone on October 23, 2008 at 2:34 PM

I’m not ashamed to admit I used cheatcodes, especially for Warcraft; Starcraft wasn’t so bad, for some reason. After too many failed attempts to beat a certain stage and progress in the story, I’d get frustrated and use a work-around. I wanted to know what happened next in the story, dangit!

Not so much now, but then again I am ~10 years older now.

Grue in the Attic on October 23, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Well I could manage WCII as the orks, but had to “it is a good day to die” for the humans. Finished SC, but got stuck on the last timed mission for SC:BW. Can’t stand the zerg.

Count to 10 on October 23, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Good grief! Could we please stop donating money to Barry already?

Illinidiva on October 23, 2008 at 2:36 PM

How about I am in this country illegally but I have a credit card – I simply change my name and address, but use my credit card to donate illegally to go unnoticed.

This is a major big deal.

Topsecretk9 on October 23, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Dale in Atlanta on October 23, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Smart move to cancel the card.

BadgerHawk on October 23, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Good grief! Could we please stop donating money to Barry already?

Illinidiva on October 23, 2008 at 2:36 PM

You can get the money back as long as the information isn’t yours, since the responsibility to verify the information rests with Team O. The only bad part is that Obama can spin this as a glitch in his system and evil Republicans trying to create fraud.

BadgerHawk on October 23, 2008 at 2:38 PM

I do, but I’m not giving one thin dime to Sen. Obama.

Blaise on October 23, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Yeah, ditto. Elves were somewhere in the middle. The undead expansion was my favorite, though.

Count to 10 on October 23, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Really? They were my favorite faction, personally.

Grue in the Attic on October 23, 2008 at 2:39 PM

I wonder if this, and the other breaking scandals, is why Obama is pushing so hard to get his people to vote early.

MarkTheGreat on October 23, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Definitely!

Oink on October 23, 2008 at 2:39 PM

I do, but I’m not giving one thin dime to Sen. Obama.

Blaise on October 23, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Wise man.

Grue in the Attic on October 23, 2008 at 2:39 PM

If an election can’t be bought, why the $2300 limit?

Tanya on October 23, 2008 at 1:41 PM

That would actually be a separate issue, as the theory with that one is that a candidate shouldn’t be receiving large donations from one person and thus feel indebted to that person.

Though I certainly believe an election can be bought. Otherwise how else do you explain Ross Perot being the only third party candidate that people believed actually stood a chance of winning.

Anyone feel that way about Bob Barr?

Esthier on October 23, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Blaise,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Stop giving Obama money people.

Sue on October 23, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Anyone feel that way about Bob Barr?

Esthier on October 23, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Hell no, but I also have always believed that voting third party is throwing your vote away, so I might be biased.

Grue in the Attic on October 23, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Someone send this thread to Patrick Fitzgerald. If any of the money clears, would this not be wire fraud?

Mr. D on October 23, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Remember “The Firm” with Tom Cruise and Gene Hackman????

Someone PLEASE figure out how to get this info into the proper hands!

Oink on October 23, 2008 at 2:42 PM

I thought Rush Limbaugh had an interesting point today; If Obama’s campaign, as well as his cultish media friends are SO convinced of his inevitability as POTUS, why is he still begging for money? Why isn’t a big chunk of all this cash being used for something “for the greater good”? I’m sick to death of all his “lets spread the wealth around crap” and he’s out there buying up chunks of time in states that he’ll never lose- Hello, Calif? Obama’s nothing but an arrogant liar, who actually thinks he’s clever enough to make these massive “changes” in America that will benefit no one but Obama and his socialist cronies. He needs to go back to Chicago and clean up his messes there.

anniekc on October 23, 2008 at 2:42 PM

“That’s not the eCommerce I knew”

Texas Rainmaker on October 23, 2008 at 2:43 PM

I have a credit card issued by a bank in Hong Kong.

Fake Name
Not A. Realperson
Finance Violation
Fraudulent Charge
Over Donation Limit

Bombast on October 23, 2008 at 2:44 PM

This is a major big deal.

Topsecretk9 on October 23, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Better yet… how about I type in random numbers and hope that something sticks? Remember the folks that have found Obama donations on their credit card statements?????

Oink on October 23, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Count to 10 on October 23, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Really? They were my favorite faction, personally.

Grue in the Attic on October 23, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Elves? There are only two sides in WCII. I’ve never played WCIII.
…and the whole Kerigan-zerg infestation thing and disposable units gross me out. All I ask for is enough of an unfair advantage that I can take no losses.
We are so off topic.

Count to 10 on October 23, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Elves? There are only two sides in WCII. I’ve never played WCIII.

Yeah, you’re right, I was getting my WCII and III confused, the Elves and Undead were in III. >_< D’oh.

And yeah we are, but the thread’s slowing down anyway now that Senator Government seems to have patched the hole in his back window.

Grue in the Attic on October 23, 2008 at 2:46 PM

someone try to do this from Iran, Gaza, Syria

jp on October 23, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Sent this story in to my local radio news station KTAR here in Phoenix. Hopefully it gets some coverage

offroadaz on October 23, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Blaise,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Stop giving Obama money people.

Sue on October 23, 2008 at 2:41 PM

I think we all have at this point. The experiment was a huge success it seems.

It at least put Bambi’s minions on notice…for now.

I’ll bet that the most he received wasn’t enough to buy M. Obama a nice lunch at the Waldorf. (I know…I know…it was a fake story, geez.)

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on October 23, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Fake Name
Not A. Realperson
Finance Violation
Fraudulent Charge
Over Donation Limit

Bombast on October 23, 2008 at 2:44 PM

dang, this should be a huge story but will not be.

Try donating from “Derka Derka, South Park”

jp on October 23, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Or try the Country: The Socialist Banana Republic

jp on October 23, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Grue in the Attic on October 23, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Oh, well. Nice to talk to another gamer. I’m mostly a console player now-a-days–and I miss my table top group back on the West coast, even if most of them were screw loose democrats.

Count to 10 on October 23, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Bombast on October 23, 2008 at 2:44 PM

So, to whom will you report this ?
Got ammo ??

pambi on October 23, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Bombast on October 23, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Wow. That’s insane.

BadgerHawk on October 23, 2008 at 2:50 PM

I’m sure that Matthews and Olbywan will be all over this asap…

Mr_Magoo on October 23, 2008 at 2:50 PM

anniekc on October 23, 2008 at 2:42 PM

He needs to pay for the Clinton’s cooperation by paying off her campaign debt.

cryptojunkie on October 23, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Count to 10 on October 23, 2008 at 2:49 PM

I know the feeling – my tabletop group just broke up. One guy went into the military, my brother and sister-in-law moved south, and one other guy got switched to a night shift job.

Grue in the Attic on October 23, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Think how pissed off the PUMAs are going to be once they find out this is how Obama beat Hillary.

BadgerHawk on October 23, 2008 at 2:53 PM

I just sent an urgent plea to Drudge with a link to this site.

Wonder if I can send a link to the FBI?

Oink on October 23, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Bombast on October 23, 2008 at 2:44 PM

I just took a “screen capture” of your post and have it cashed on my drive for safe keeping. Just in case you “go missing” and someone claims your transaction never existed.

Got your back, I do.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on October 23, 2008 at 2:53 PM

BadgerHawk on October 23, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Somebody hurry up and tell them!!!!!!!!!

Oink on October 23, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Somebody hurry up and tell them!!!!!!!!!

Oink on October 23, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Ace has a good PUMA crowd, and he’s all over this story too.

BadgerHawk on October 23, 2008 at 2:55 PM

STOP DONATING TO OBAMA

Have we all gone mad?

JustTruth101 on October 23, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Make sure that you have:
a license to work in your profession
owe no back taxes
owe no back alimony or child support
etc etc etc

pambi on October 23, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Bombast on October 23, 2008 at 2:44 PM

So, to whom will you report this ?
Got ammo ??

pambi on October 23, 2008 at 2:50 PM

E-mail it to Mark Steyn. He’s on this story and is totally credible and can’t be stopped.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on October 23, 2008 at 2:58 PM

How many days of the Iraq war could have been funded with the amount of money Barak has raised for his campaign?

How many mortgage payments could he make with that money?

How many people’s health care could have been paid for?

How many people’s social security bennefits could have been covered?

How many starving children in Africa could have been fed?

How many homes of hurricane victims could be rebuilt with that money?

Do something worth while with your money, don’t give it to Barak because it will not help anyone but him once it ends up in his hands.

Tim Pancoast on October 23, 2008 at 2:59 PM

There have been enough donations to Obama to prove the point.

The media and most likely the FEC will ignore it anyways until it is too late to matter.

Tim Pancoast on October 23, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Total accumulated donations worldwide: $700 million

Television ads in all 50 states: $300 million

Nationwide campaign expenses: $250 million

Half-hour network infomercial: $1 million

Styrofoam Greek pillars: $500,000

Lobster and caviar: $1,000

Obama’s expression when he loses on November 4: PRICELESS

ManlyRash on October 23, 2008 at 3:04 PM

holy cow Obamas site has ZERO security

I just donated NEGATIVE FIVE DOLLARS AND IT PROCESSED

Waiting to see what shows up on my CC statement

offroadaz on October 23, 2008 at 3:04 PM

and one other guy got switched to a night shift job.

Grue in the Attic on October 23, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Hungry guy,

Just curious, you seem to comment often while you’re at work.

What is it you do for a living.

Please don’t tell me you’re an air traffic controller or a bus driver.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on October 23, 2008 at 3:04 PM

I do, but I’m not giving one thin dime to Sen. Obama.

Blaise on October 23, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Same here.

MattMacD on October 23, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Hungry guy,

Just curious, you seem to comment often while you’re at work.

What is it you do for a living.

Please don’t tell me you’re an air traffic controller or a bus driver.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on October 23, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Data-entry and clerical for Big Pharma.

Grue in the Attic on October 23, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Grue in the Attic on October 23, 2008 at 2:41 PM

I feel the same way, though with 600 million I think a third party would have a shot.

Esthier on October 23, 2008 at 3:07 PM

BadgerHawk on October 23, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Since you guys are knowingly putting in your real credit cards, it’s going to be kinda hard to prove fraud.

Illinidiva on October 23, 2008 at 3:08 PM

is there a such thing as pre-impeachment?

Kaptain Amerika on October 23, 2008 at 3:08 PM

I think Mark Steyn would have one. Is he not Canadian? Is that “foreign” enough for this experiment?

Oink on October 23, 2008 at 3:09 PM

I do, but I’m not giving one thin dime to Sen. Obama.

Blaise on October 23, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Considering these donations are completely fake, there’s no reason to believe Obama could actually keep your money.

It would be easy to dispute the charge, which would likely cost the campaign money since they would have to pay for the processing fees.

Of course it’s up to you, but I don’t see any potential for risk here.

Esthier on October 23, 2008 at 3:09 PM

Illinidiva on October 23, 2008 at 3:08 PM

I think the problem is that the site didn’t require the 3-digit security code.

Oink on October 23, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Credit Card Fraud Story 1

Story 2

Story 3

cryptojunkie on October 23, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Obama does not care.

What are they going to do to him after he uses these ill gotten gains to achieve his goal?

Elizabetty on October 23, 2008 at 3:10 PM

that’s why someone with some money should have donated over the limit. before this story broke.

Kaptain Amerika on October 23, 2008 at 3:10 PM

President Biden?

problem is Obama has a get out of jail because you are guilty card and we can cause massive riots with ease, Card to play.

Its scary what this thug could do in the whitehouse

jp on October 23, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Most corrupt campaign evah!

TheBigOldDog on October 23, 2008 at 3:11 PM

holy cow Obamas site has ZERO security

I just donated NEGATIVE FIVE DOLLARS AND IT PROCESSED

Waiting to see what shows up on my CC statement

offroadaz on October 23, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Dude, you found the chink in his armor! AWESOME!!

Grue in the Attic on October 23, 2008 at 3:11 PM

Illinidiva on October 23, 2008 at 3:08 PM

And how would the bank or credit card company know you’re the one who put the information in?

Anyone can get your credit card number an expiration date. Just go to a restaurant and pay with one. Often times the computers store the entire number and expiration date in a place where even a waiter can retrieve it.

Esthier on October 23, 2008 at 3:11 PM

ARE THESE ACTUALLY SHOWING UP ON YOUR STATEMENTS?

DaveS on October 23, 2008 at 3:11 PM

holy cow Obamas site has ZERO security

I just donated NEGATIVE FIVE DOLLARS AND IT PROCESSED

Waiting to see what shows up on my CC statement

offroadaz on October 23, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Negative Five Dollars automatically rounds off to $2300

carbon_footprint on October 23, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Negative Five Dollars automatically rounds off to $2300

carbon_footprint on October 23, 2008 at 3:12 PM

&*@#%%^*~!@&%#^$*#%*!!!!

Grue in the Attic on October 23, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Illinidiva on October 23, 2008 at 3:08 PM

I’m not putting in anything. But if the addresses don’t match up with the address on the cards, I don’t think Team O can accept the payment. I’m not positive on that, though.

I can hardly afford to donate to McCain, I’m not giving cash to The One.

BadgerHawk on October 23, 2008 at 3:13 PM

If you donate .01 (one cent), it will cost them more money to process the transaction than the donation it worth.

So theoretically, if we got 10,000 people to donate 1 cent, we could cost the campaign upwards of $15,000.

RightWired on October 23, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Most corrupt campaign evah!

TheBigOldDog on October 23, 2008 at 3:11 PM

Any way this can be added to The List? Or does a current content already cover it?

Grue in the Attic on October 23, 2008 at 3:14 PM

DaveS on October 23, 2008 at 3:11 PM

A number of testers called their CC company already, they are in pending status. (As are all charges initially) They post in 3-5 days.

cryptojunkie on October 23, 2008 at 3:14 PM

RightWired on October 23, 2008 at 3:14 PM

$5 donation minimum, won’t take anything less.

Unless you go Negative, apparently…

Grue in the Attic on October 23, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Data-entry and clerical for Big Pharma.

Grue in the Attic on October 23, 2008 at 3:07 PM

I thought so…EEEEVVVIIILLLL hungry guy.

Big Pharma!

I’ll drink to that.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on October 23, 2008 at 3:15 PM

Grue in the Attic on October 23, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Nice to talk to another gamer.
Count to 10 on October 23, 2008 at 2:49 PM

You guys probably already know this, but there are lots of gamers at Ace.

My hubby has been DM’ing and gaming with the same friend for about 30+ years. A couple of times a year we get together (he’s on the East coast, we’re currently on the West coast) and I become an AD&D widow for a few days. The rest of the time, I’m tripping over Monster Manuals and trying to avoid vacuuming up die!

Y-not on October 23, 2008 at 3:18 PM

I am shocked, SHOCKED to see World Citizen Obama doesn’t much care where his money comes from.

BKennedy on October 23, 2008 at 3:18 PM

I made a $5 donation as George W. Bush at about 1:30 that went through at the Obama site. IT has not shown up on my credit card yet.

Stephen Macklin on October 23, 2008 at 3:18 PM

You guys donating, realized you just gave your CC info to a bunch of crooks, likely connected to Mobsters type of crooks?????

might want to cancel cards and get new.

I remember reading how the Mafia was buying ATM machines like put in bars, and then taking the CC info used on them to do scams elsewhere…..there’s a reason Obama is so savvy with this type of fraud..

jp on October 23, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Update: Commenter “Bombast” says his foreign credit card worked like a charm:

Thanks. Not sure why this bothers me so much more than the ordinary domestic fraud, but it does.

And I think that’ll make good evidence.

Tanya on October 23, 2008 at 3:21 PM

You guys probably already know this, but there are lots of gamers at Ace.

No, I didn’t – thanks :)

Y-not on October 23, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Sounds like my friends’ apartment every other week. Probably helped that the one married couple in the group was my brother and his wife, and she was the first gamer of the two. :)

Grue in the Attic on October 23, 2008 at 3:21 PM

make sure everyone calls their credit card companies and cancels the transaction after they do it!

JeffreyLloyd on October 23, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Obama’s expression when he loses on November 4: PRICELESS

ManlyRash on October 23, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Not to mention there will be enough rage and anger from the left to power up a nuclear plant.

Rovin on October 23, 2008 at 3:23 PM

And I would suggest getting a new CC number and cacel the card you used.

If they are not securing the processing, what makes you think they are going to properly secure your CC number going forward?

cryptojunkie on October 23, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Oh happy we will be if the most ethical congress evah joins up with the most ethical president evah.

How precious.

csdeven on October 23, 2008 at 3:25 PM

Grue in the Attic on October 23, 2008 at 3:21 PM

:-)

I played a little in HS, before I met my hubby, but when we gave it a go later on, I was a bad player. He set up this great adventure, but I was so “in character” that I kept saying “but what’s my motivation for going in this hole full of goblins, again?” (The set up was being hired by some shady type — I’m lawful good, of course.)

Our friend is “chaotic greedy” :-) but otherwise a great guy (engineer).

Y-not on October 23, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Anybody donated under George W. Bush’s name yet?

Rick on October 23, 2008 at 3:27 PM

I can hardly afford to donate to McCain, I’m not giving cash to The One.

BadgerHawk on October 23, 2008 at 3:13 PM

They are!! That’s the whole idea behind this little project. If Barry and friends were rejecting the donations, then this wouldn’t be an issue.

Illinidiva on October 23, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Our friend is “chaotic greedy” :-) but otherwise a great guy (engineer).

Y-not on October 23, 2008 at 3:27 PM

LOL sounds like fun :)

Anybody donated under George W. Bush’s name yet?

Rick on October 23, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Yeah I think someone did, back further up the page.

Grue in the Attic on October 23, 2008 at 3:31 PM

So, since this is illegal, isn’t the Obama campaign supposed to be charged with a crime?

Seems rather simple to me really. I wonder why it isn’t going to happen?

Riposte on October 23, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Rovin on October 23, 2008 at 3:23

AWESOME.

Grue in the Attic on October 23, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Esthier on October 23, 2008 at 3:11 PM

You want to risk that and get in big trouble for lying?

Illinidiva on October 23, 2008 at 3:32 PM

We need a foreign national to do this to prove it can be done from overseas.

ksm on October 23, 2008 at 3:32 PM

According to this scenario, it wouldn’t matter to the O campaign even if they return suspect donations:

Not to be overly paranoid here, but what if the merchant bank the Obama Campaign is using doesn’t really care if there’s fraud?

For example, let’s say that SorosBank is the merchant bank handling Obama’s transactions.

A fraudulent transaction occurs — as many have — and the merchant bank has to make good on the difference. If the merchant bank intends to funnel money to the Obama campaign, then fraud becomes a feature not a bug. Every fraudulent transaction is refunded to the person whose card is used improperly — yet the “merchant bank” does not demand the money back from the Obama Campaign. The “merchant bank” permissively allows the Obama campaign to benefit from fraud — namely, the frauds that are caught. The ones that aren’t caught are just garden-variety fraud.

SorosBank just takes more money out of the pile that says FROM FOREIGN DONORS and pays the Obama Campaign for every fraudulent donation. If it’s caught, then so be it, SorosBank refunds the cardholder but either way the Obama Campaign gets the cash value of the donation, even if it came from Malaysia or Indonesia or Saudi Arabia or France, for that matter. As long as the foreign money is washed through a front credit-card processor, it’s basically untraceable. All that’s required is a credit-card processor willing to “lose” to the Obama campaign.

Any of you credit card people know if this sounds like a doable thing? -Posted by: Darren

Classic money laundering.

heroyalwhyness on October 23, 2008 at 3:34 PM

I work for a national retailer in the USA, and I’m a lead developer for their Point-of-Sale application.

When your credit card shows “pending”, its just a memo charge that only affects your open-to-buy.

For instance, if you have a $1000 limit, and you have a $0 balance, your $5 dollar charge changes your open-to-buy to $995. If you try to charge $1000 now, your charge will be declined, since you have a $5 pending charge.

Those charges are not rectified until the vendor, either my employeer or the Obama website, sends a confirmation to the credit card company to complete the transaction. At that time, your charge becomes “real”.

Its possible, that in a batch mode overnight, the website is performing additional validation and may not send the confirmation on bogus donations.

A “pending” or memo sale on a credit card can take up to 10 business days to be removed if no confirmation is sent.

Just a heads up. I think they are up to no good, but I wanted to make sure you understood how it works.

Samhain on October 23, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Mr. Fitzgerald? Mr. Patrick Fitzgerald? Wire fraud, Line 1.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 23, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Illinidiva on October 23, 2008 at 3:28 PM

I mean they can’t legally accept the payment. They’re obviously accepting the payments right now.

BadgerHawk on October 23, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Headlines tomorrow: OBAMA HAS BIGGEST FUNDRAISING DAY EVER

Paragraph 1 of the story:

Many of the donations are coming from conservatives. They are finally seeing the light, and are welcomed into the fold even at this late stage.

Buried 23 paragraphs into the story:

Some of the donations may have been done to callously test Obama much as Jesus was tested by the Pharisees.

Abby Adams on October 23, 2008 at 3:42 PM

You want to risk that and get in big trouble for lying?

Illinidiva on October 23, 2008 at 3:32 PM

And how could you? How can they prove you’re lying?

Esthier on October 23, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Samhain on October 23, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Good post, thanks for clarifying.

cryptojunkie on October 23, 2008 at 3:42 PM