Busted: Spokesman for bogus Brownlee Avenue voters admits wrongdoing

posted at 6:17 pm on October 23, 2008 by Allahpundit

Remember them? The Vote From Home kids? Chasin’ the dream of Hope and Change by declaring a house in Columbus, Ohio their “residence” a month or two before the election so that they could vote for The One? The local prosecutor finally canceled their registrations today and politely reminded them that there’s more to residency than a simple say-so. Unless you’re donating online to Barack Obama, of course.

Palestra, which has owned this story, provides the coup de grace — public admission of malfeasance by the group’s spokesman. Do recall as you read the following that a bunch of these kids are Rhodes and Marshall scholars and that the Ohio secretary of state’s page on voting specifically provides, “Your voting residence is the place in which your habitation is fixed and to which, whenever you are absent, you intend to return. Your voting residence should be one you consider to be permanent, not temporary.”

Let there be no doubt, we firmly believed we satisfied all requirements written on the Franklin County Board of Elections Voter Registration Form.

Nevertheless, we did not understand the state’s technical definition of “resident,” and registered not knowing that. Our intention was to register in the community we had become so involved in, but because of our misunderstanding we will not be able to vote in Ohio and may not be able to vote in this election at all. We highly value the importance of a free and fair election, and hope that others will take the necessary steps to ensure they fully meet Ohio’s residency requirements before registering to vote. Speaking directly to the people of Ohio, our mistake was an honest one, but it was a mistake nonetheless. Without reservation, we apologize to the community, which has been so welcoming to us, for the problems this misunderstanding has caused. Thank you.

Total felony charges to be filed: Zero, of course.

Comments

GOOD, you should never be able to vote again!

And if you were so honest.. WTF are you doing? I call BS!

upinak on October 23, 2008 at 6:20 PM

They didn’t understand the term “permanent residence” and what it meant? Bullshoot.

If Obarbo wins, it will be a fraudulent victory.

Bishop on October 23, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Let them ‘misunderstand’ the iron bars around them.

Limerick on October 23, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Until the Republicans start playing the same game, no one will care.

It’s time for the “everyone does it” strategy.

mylegsareswollen on October 23, 2008 at 6:22 PM

Hey what do you people expect? They were educated in Goverment schools. They proably can’t even read.

Rick007 on October 23, 2008 at 6:22 PM

a bunch of these kids are Rhodes and Marshall scholars

Education is important, but people need to remember things such as this before they get brainwashed into thinking that eduaction is the prime factor in determining a person’s morality.

Then again, if one is “educated” in America, stunts like this are righteous for the greater good of advancing liberal politicians’ careers.

Grafted on October 23, 2008 at 6:22 PM

Rethuglicans do this all the time!
/sarc off

Y-not on October 23, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Or being registered 72 times by ACORN.

HornetSting on October 23, 2008 at 6:24 PM

So, this is a “communtiy” thing certainly inspired by the king of community organizers?

Rovin on October 23, 2008 at 6:25 PM

Those spoiled little jerks knew full well what they were doing. What is it with all these highly educated people claiming complete and total ignorance every time they get busted for something? I say book ‘em Dano and make an example of them.

mrsmwp on October 23, 2008 at 6:25 PM

ignorance of the law is no excuse or so I was told once

William Amos on October 23, 2008 at 6:25 PM

How can they understand the word “fair” when it means “unfair” in politics, as when applied to taxation. With the wealthy, any escalating tax rate is “fair” if it is more (in terms of absolute tax payment, percent of income, or any other measure) than it was last year.

People do not understand the basic tenets of “right” and “wrong” anymore especially when morality is deemed relative.

stonemeister on October 23, 2008 at 6:25 PM

Criminals for Obama.

Has a nice ring to it.

JammieWearingFool on October 23, 2008 at 6:26 PM

If Obarbo wins, it will be a fraudulent victory.

Bishop on October 23, 2008 at 6:21 PM

That is the only way he will win. Which is why we must turn out and vote in mass. In Florida there are rumors of 30,000 felons on the books, and in OH the 200,000 Brunner is hiding. We are going to have to exceed those numbers and then some in order to get past the fraud.

freeus on October 23, 2008 at 6:27 PM

No charges! What a great way to stop them from trying it again. Rewarding bad behavior.

a capella on October 23, 2008 at 6:27 PM

Well ACORN also admits they submit fraudulent voter applications but I guess the “I was just following orders” is a defence when it comes to liberal law breaking.

William Amos on October 23, 2008 at 6:27 PM

‘We did not Understand’

Ugh!Now I suppose they’ll blame their own education
for being so stupid!

But,ah,nice try though!

canopfor on October 23, 2008 at 6:27 PM

And again it isnt all just fraud. There is also no doubt the democrats set out to beat the GOP at the polls via voter registration drive.

The GOP can win the same way and do it legally. Shame the RNC is so far behind the curve on this.

Makes me sad because I BEGGED for over 17 years for the GOP to make its GOTV efforts better and they did nothing about it.

William Amos on October 23, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Total felony charges to be filed: Zero, of course.

And thus sayeth the Messiah “For he that comitteth crimes in my name shall be safe from prosecution for I am the light and my truth is the only truth that matters. Go forth and bring me victory.”

johnsteele on October 23, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Intentional voter fraud should have two consequences. Mandatory jail time and it should be a felony so you lose your right to vote for life. Now that would be a deterrent. Unfortunately, just like the immigration laws, we cannot even enforce the current laws.

Corsair on October 23, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Too bad the political whores can’t say “without reservation” when they’re caught. Whatever else is wrong here, they gain 1% in my view for using those two words.

Don’t hold your breath waiting for anyone else to follow their lead.

platypus on October 23, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Keep in mind these same people also registered a lot of “Homeless” voters for Obama.

Hopefully the state ID laws will trp them up.

William Amos on October 23, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Total felony charges to be filed: Zero, of course.

The press or the RNC should keep their eyes on these losers. Then, if they actually gain employment in some place other than an Obama think tank, send the employer a copy of the record on them. Screw ‘em.

BuckeyeSam on October 23, 2008 at 6:36 PM

Breaking news from Bendover Backwards News(BBN)

Brownlee residents are admitting to fraud,no scratch
that!

Getting caught,their sorry!

No,scratch that too,in getting caught,they promise
no more fraud,till the next election!

No,scratch that as well,Brownlee residents are blameing
Bush for getting caught!

Screw it,scratch that too,Okay I’ve got it,according to
Brownlee residents,sometime during the evening of heavy
Liberal Koolaid consumption,they aledge in their stupor,
Karl Rove beamed electronic mind control,and forced the
residents against their will to commit said fraud!!!

Details at 11!(Snark!):)

canopfor on October 23, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Let’s not get crazy. Its reasonable that someone (especially an idot college kid) might believe that moving to a place makes you a “resident” regardless of whether you intend to stay after the election. Voter fraud is a significant issue that must be addressed with significant reform. And I am not against strong penalties for election fraud. But these kids are not the place to start sending people to jail. Go after the professionals in organizations like ACORN.

RedSoxNation on October 23, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Now,if they can only get a handle on illegals
with drivers licence who vote Liberal,even if
they are not American citizens!!

canopfor on October 23, 2008 at 6:40 PM

canopfor on October 23, 2008 at 6:38 PM

In summation, “I didn’t do it. Nobody saw me do it. And I’ll never do it again.”

Patrick S on October 23, 2008 at 6:48 PM

ignorance of the law is not a defense.

Dr Evil on October 23, 2008 at 6:59 PM

I don’t get all of these loosy, goosy rules these days. When I was in college in 1980, I had to vote absentee ballot, I couldn’t register in my college town because my official address was my parent’s home. How the heck are all of these college students registering on campus?

Common Sense on October 23, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Book em’. Plaster their names all over the internet and talk radio. Then when they have to fill out a job application and the question says “Have you ever been charged with or convicted of a felony?”. Maybe, just maybe someone with some stones will say, “I remember you. Application Denied!”

PappaMac on October 23, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Apologies are nothing. Give them time in a Federal pound me in the ass prison.

Coronagold on October 23, 2008 at 7:15 PM

On Hulu Obama has an ad playing telling you he’ll give you all the help you need to do this.

- The Cat

MirCat on October 23, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Wow; incredibly stupid people not being able to vote. That’s just a cryin’ shame.

UndertheBridge on October 23, 2008 at 7:28 PM

They must has planned to vote in both Ohio and their home state otherwise why do this? Do you think they learned anything or are they just going to do it “smarter” next time?

Cindy Munford on October 23, 2008 at 8:01 PM

The Bush DOJ has to be the worst, most feckless organization in the world. This is why confidence in our institutions is at such a low. This is total, unequivocal BULLSH#T. These “kids” were a joke and I can’t believe that, at the very, very least, their voting rights have not been restricted for an extended period of time (a fair start of a punishment for someone who sets out to defraud our election) and their scholarships have not been taken away from them.

We have become a joke of a society that is unable to honestly hold anyone accountable for their actions, which will lead to the total collapse of confidence in our systems (as we all just watched happening in the financial system a few weeks ago) which will be the end. This is all just insane. Each of these brats should have lost the right to vote for no less than 30 years, had their scholarships (those that come from the government) revoked, and had serious felony charges (fraud, of whatever sort) brought against them leading to at least 6 months in jail for each.

If this country can’t hold people who are caught red-handed to account for their actions, then there is nothing left. I just can’t stop shaking my head in disbelief at this. The US cannot continue like this. That’s for sure.

progressoverpeace on October 23, 2008 at 8:46 PM

As of January 20, 2009 the chance of any organization or person involved in voter fraud being prosecuted will evaporate. For 8 years the administration had the opportunity and responsibility to investigate and prosecute the likes of ACORN and the DOJ sat on its hands. Good luck to the conservatives in EVER winning another election.

Drivers licenses for illegals, Motor Voter laws, prohibitions against requiring ID at polling stations, growing preponderance of permanent absentee ballots nationwide, etc. will all serve the goal of creating a permanent Democrat majority. Free and fair elections in this country will be a thing of the past.

in_awe on October 23, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Liars for Obama. Come on. Liars need representation, too. They can’t ALL be in Nancy Pelosi’s district!

Warner Todd Huston on October 23, 2008 at 9:24 PM

progressoverpeace on October 23, 2008 at 8:46 PM

I swear W’s biggest problem is this bi-partisan crap. He won’t have his DOJ go after this but the Dems will say 45 times a day that there needs to be hearings on the firings of prosecutors that it was legal to fire. Just bang my head on the wall repeatedly.

Cindy Munford on October 23, 2008 at 9:29 PM

Cindy Munford on October 23, 2008 at 9:29 PM

I hear you, Cindy. This has driven me nuts for years.

progressoverpeace on October 23, 2008 at 9:50 PM

If no charges are filed, they should be forced to stay in Ohio until at least the 2010 election. Maybe they’ll learn something. Punks.

Tanya on October 23, 2008 at 10:18 PM

OK. They tore up their registrations. How about the absentee ballots they used that address to get? Did they tear those up too???

Sporty1946 on October 23, 2008 at 10:19 PM

I live in Columbus and hold an MPhil from Oxford.
I managed to figure out how it works.
And I wasn’t even a Rhodes Scholar!

Tzetzes on October 23, 2008 at 10:24 PM

And I wasn’t even a Rhodes Scholar!

Tzetzes on October 23, 2008 at 10:24 PM

Evidently it’s more difficult to understand simple election law than it is to get a Rhodes Scholarship. But I appreciate that the Rhodes Scholars have admitted their stupidity. It only follows that they must too dumb to actually be qualified for the Rhodes Scholarships, too (frankly, they’ve admitted to being too dumb to be in any college).

progressoverpeace on October 23, 2008 at 10:35 PM

I’d love it if they could be disqualified from foreign service (State Department, etc.) on the basis of the admitted wrongdoing. That might put a cramp in their styles.

DrSteve on October 23, 2008 at 10:36 PM

progressoverpeace on October 23, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Oh, I’m sure they’re not dumb: a couple of my friends are/were Rhodes Scholars, and you have to be really smart to get that. You don’t have to be honest though.

Tzetzes on October 23, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Dont forget this from David Broders article today.

Two others are Jessica Schumacher of Lexington, Ky., and Sarah Green-Golan of Boston, respectively a sophomore and a senior at the College of Wooster. I met them on campus and heard how they and their friends had persuaded 700 of their fellow students to register in Wayne County, where the Republican presidential margin has ranged from 11,000 to 12,000 votes in the last two elections.

700 out of around 2,100 students, registered here in Ohio. College of Wooster has students from all over the World. I bet they barely have 700 that come from Ohio.

WoosterOh on October 23, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Oh, I’m sure they’re not dumb:

Then their “admission” is a lie and they have to be prosecuted for perjury, which was good enough to get Martha Stewart put away for 6 months, or obstruction of justice.

I wonder if these geniuses are studying law or political science (though I think the Rhodes term is “political alchemy”)?

Tzetzes on October 23, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Meh. I’ve never been overly impressed with any Rhodes scholars. The only ones I’ve seen has been non-scientists and what passes for logic in fields that don’t require strict mathematical reasoning is generally laughable. Not all the time, but generally.

progressoverpeace on October 23, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Oh, I’m sure they’re not dumb:

Tzetzes on October 23, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Sorry, messed up the quoting above

progressoverpeace on October 23, 2008 at 11:03 PM

Vote From Home kids

A bunch of busy-bodies with MTV majors.

Feedie on October 24, 2008 at 12:35 AM

If Obarbo wins, it will be a fraudulent victory.

Bishop on October 23, 2008 at 6:21 PM

And if the New Age messiah loses, it’s simply not possible that it could be anything else but racism that he and what he represents is defeated.

Oh what am I to do!?

FlatFoot on October 24, 2008 at 12:49 AM

Oh, I’m sure they’re not dumb…

Then their “admission” is a lie and they have to be prosecuted for perjury…

progressoverpeace on October 23, 2008 at 11:03 PM

Exactly my point. You see, we humanities folks can occasionally come up with something logical too. ;)

Tzetzes on October 24, 2008 at 1:02 AM

And if you were so honest.. WTF are you doing? I call BS!

upinak

Exactly, barbrastreisand.

thegreatbeast on October 24, 2008 at 1:22 AM

Tzetzes on October 24, 2008 at 1:02 AM

Heh. Not saying you can’t, only that fields with more subjective criteria are highly susceptible to infestations of mediocrity.

progressoverpeace on October 24, 2008 at 3:29 AM

Cindy Munford on October 23, 2008 at 8:01 PM

Tzetzes on October 23, 2008 at 10:24 PM

progressoverpeace on October 23, 2008 at 10:35 PM

These operatives knew exactly what they were doing.

Setting the MSM meme for the hundreds/thousands/ of similar operations that are sure to be discovered in the near future.

The McCain campaign today continued to plumb the depths of political attack strategy.

Today’s target? Overzealous, but well meaning, college kids. Ignorant of the law, caught up in the Spirit of The Lightworker. And they apologised. No harm, no foul. Nothing to see here. Moveon.

In truth, its misdirection. Takes the focus away from the ACORN Motor Voter Vans that will be rackin’ up miles come election day.

{C’mon, did anybody really beieve that the law’s name only referred to registration.}

soundingboard on October 24, 2008 at 4:02 AM

Wow, the future “elites” of our country can’t figure out the difference between “temporary” and “permanent?”

This exemplifies one of the many reasons why I scoff at “elites” and those with a slew of degrees UNLESS they can clearly demonstrate they actaully know something more than me.

And based on the Sarah-cuda phenomenon, I’m not alone.

karl9000 on October 24, 2008 at 10:18 AM

All of these geniuses must have enjoyed the undergraduate course, “Self-Inflicted Voter Suppression 101.”

T J Green on October 24, 2008 at 10:57 AM