Palin: I support a path to citizenship for illegals

posted at 8:33 pm on October 22, 2008 by Allahpundit

This one’s for you, boss.

As governor, how do you deal with them? Do you think they all should be deported?

There is no way that in the US we would roundup every illegal immigrant -there are about 12 million of the illegal immigrants- not only economically is that just an impossibility but that’s not a humane way anyway to deal with the issue that we face with illegal immigration.

Do you then favor an amnesty for the 12 or 13 million undocumented immigrants?

No, I do not. I do not. Not total amnesty. You know, people have got to follow the rules. They’ve got to follow the bar, and we have got to make sure that there is equal opportunity and those who are here legally should be first in line for services being provided and those opportunities that this great country provides.

To clarify, so you support a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants?

I do because I understand why people would want to be in America. To seek the safety and prosperity, the opportunities, the health that is here. It is so important that yes, people follow the rules so that people can be treated equally and fairly in this country.

Here’s the vid. I can’t make out the Q&A in English thanks to the Spanish overdub, but maybe you’ll have better luck. There’s more to the interview than the transcript indicates — she speaks at length about Chavez, for example — so maybe collectively we can piece the whole thing together. This guy seems to have picked up a few extra snippets. E.g., “We secure our borders first. But then with a comprehensive approach we must deal humanely with those who are here, and we must allow the steps to be taken to protect the families of those who are here, maybe as illegal immigrants today.” Exit prediction: By 2012, she’ll have “reconsidered.” Of course, by then, it’ll be too late.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Noting, of course, that McCain’s position on this was already well documented…but any real, non-fabricated problem with Palin goes in his column as well.

James on October 23, 2008 at 10:22 AM

That’s a hell of a way to run a campaign. Seriously…when do we start seeing the ‘You may hate voting for me but at least I’m not as bad as Obama’ commercials? At least that would be honest.
James on October 23, 2008 at 10:21 AM

No. That would not be ‘honest.’

People who actually think this are entering moonbat territory. McCain is not Bush, as Obama and the democrats think. He’s not the third term of Bush. And McCain is not as bad as Obama, and he’s never claimed to be ‘at least I’m not as bad as Obama’ at all. This is in your head. Not McCain’s. McCain is running as McCain. If you have this fallacy that the only reason he is running is that he is not Obama, then you have the problem. Not McCain.

wise_man on October 23, 2008 at 10:31 AM

[Why can’t she come out and say…they are BREAKING THE DAMN LAW! We need to look out for the American citizens.
HornetSting on October 22, 2008]

She did say they were breaking the law Hornet.
I think her answer about deportation was right, this coming from yours truly who is staunchly right wing when it comes to illegals.

My view also is that a massive roundup of 12-million illegals comes too close to ethnic cleansing…or at least it would look that way to the world including 75% of the American population. The 24- hour news peograms and international media would play scenes of screaming mothers being dragged off by federal agents with guns…..you get the picture. This would be BIG news that would reflect HORRIBLY on the US and we would lose the last bit of credibility we have where it comes to “human rights”.

Bottom line though….it is not do-able to begin with.

Put up a REAL wall all around our borders and deal with those that are here. Once the wall starts going up, most of them will probably go back on their own and when they decide to come back for work, they will do it legally. I don’t have a problem with a guest worker program.

Goodeye_Closed on October 23, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Palin imposed a windfall profits tax. Is it a surprise she’s a pushover on illegal immigration?

LibTired on October 23, 2008 at 10:41 AM

Where are all the trackbacks for this post? We conservatives all love McCain so Palin wanting amnesty won’t depress the Republican vote, will it?

Valiant on October 23, 2008 at 10:42 AM

OBAMA GAVE $1,968,718 GRANT TO COMMUNIST–Another Communist in Obama’s Orb

This has to get out guys. Pass it on!
(GO CUDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

lisalj on October 23, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Goodeye_Closed on October 23, 2008 at 10:32 AM

You buy into the “deport” meme… which we don’t have to do.

All we have to do is create national ID card tied to Citzenship, Passport, Drivers license (under interstate commerce), and VOTER ID.

Then as this goes into effect, start to shut down access to resources, such as jobs, schools and such. They would then self deport without any further Government intervention.

Those hard cases who stayed? Felons and such? could then be deported…

Romeo13 on October 23, 2008 at 10:46 AM

“I understand why people would want to be in America. To seek the safety and prosperity, the opportunities, the health that is here”
Aww isn’t that sweet. And how would that impact the prosperity and healthcare of those who are AMERICANS?

marklmail on October 23, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Paul took such heat in the primaries because he was a conspiracy mongering toon who unironically talked up the Trilateral Commission and blamed a lot of problems of “international bankers” (wink wink).

Lehosh on October 22, 2008 at 9:29 PM

So…

socialists = blacks

international bankers = jews

…?

aengus on October 23, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Goodeye_Closed on October 23, 2008 at 10:32 AM

I think you got lost and ended up on the wrong site.

Since when is “allowing your citizens to be robbed, killed, invaded, etc… in order to look good for the international community” a conservative value? Jimmy Carter did that in Miami back in the 70′s. Does that look like America to you today?

And screw the media. The media will continue to show Americans as bad people no matter what we do. Allowing the destruction of our own people simply for show is one of the dumbest things Ive ever heard.

DwnSouthJukin on October 23, 2008 at 10:50 AM

wise_man on October 23, 2008 at 10:31 AM

Of course that’s not the only reason he is running, but it sure is the only reason a lot of people are voting for him…which is exactly what I said. It’s the honest appraisal of the situation, not his intentions.

Every conservative blog I look at has post after post about how bad an Obama Presidency would be…hardly a single one about how good a McCain Presidency would be. He is just the anti-Obama. The one with the fallacy is McCain for mistaking our reluctance to elect a socialist neophyte to the highest office in the land for an endorsement of his policies, including his stance on illegals, and it’s why he’s losing.

James on October 23, 2008 at 10:56 AM

but it sure is the only reason a lot of people are voting for him

By ‘a lot’ you mean, what – 8 percent? It’s more than 8? I don’t think so. Don’t like the number 8? Well I just guessed. Like you guessed at ‘a lot.’ Then there is no reason for McCain to make that an ad.

I understand your vent. I disagree with the logic behind what you suggest.

wise_man on October 23, 2008 at 11:00 AM

response to;
DwnSouthJukin on October 23, 2008 at 10:50 AM

I was simply stating the political ramifications of massive deportation….and yes, it does matter. I could cares less what the media says or if the world agrees with our position but if all we accomplish by trying to deport 12-20 million illegals by force is to come out looking like SS stormtroppers or get shown as hypocrites what good has it done? I believe in the end it would not work without real border eforcement. read my post…I believe a wall will take care of most of the illegals already here.

Goodeye_Closed on October 23, 2008 at 11:05 AM

She’s too nice to boot the illegals out.

lodge on October 23, 2008 at 11:06 AM

[Romeo13 on October 23, 2008 at 10:46 AM]
I agree with you! Read my post, I was arguing against massive deportation in the manner of “round ‘em up”. We can acheive the same thing by doing just what you said.

Goodeye_Closed on October 23, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Not a great fan of him either, HornetSting. I didn’t vote for him when the primary came to my state. But I respect the wishes of the greater number of republicans who outnumbered me.

Republicans and Democrats, you mean. Open primaries.

aengus on October 23, 2008 at 11:16 AM

We should deal with them humanely: with bullets.

Spanglemaker on October 23, 2008 at 11:19 AM

And my morning was going so well..

my daily depressant.. Allah Pundit..

DaveC on October 23, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Republicans and Democrats, you mean. Open primaries.
aengus on October 23, 2008 at 11:16 AM

The GOP has done nothing to close the primary process so expect another RINO nominee again because “he can win”.

Perhaps a Reaganesque landslide against McCain will disabuse them of this notion.

Valiant on October 23, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Whenever Palin disagrees one iota with anything McCain says, it is a three day story that acts like the Republican Party is hopelessly divided. Who cares about this?

Speedwagon82 on October 23, 2008 at 12:05 PM

aengus on October 23, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Anything of that sort would have been insignificant to make any real change. Kos told his minions to vote for Romney. This is unproven and statistically not possible. Yet you continue this lie.

wise_man on October 23, 2008 at 12:10 PM

“We secure our borders first. But then with a comprehensive amnesty approach we must deal humanely with those who are here, and we must allow the steps to be taken to protect the families of those who are here, maybe as illegal immigrants today.”

In other words, institute a fine that most won’t pay, say it’s not amnesty, when it is amnesty.

Genius!! I wonder who thought of that one.

nazo311 on October 23, 2008 at 12:16 PM

wise_man on October 23, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Its entirely possible. The Dem-controlled unions can organise masses of people in a co-ordinated effort. Just as Rush Limbaugh can do the same to suit the GOP’s purposes.

aengus on October 23, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Then in the states where there was a massive cross over from democrat voters who would have voted for a democrat in the democrat primary – to the republican side to vote in the republican primary to ‘steal the election from republicans and vote for McCain to poison the conservative outcome’ …. would show a statistical drop in democrats voting in the democrat primary, because they crossed over into the republican primary, right?

Right?

wise_man on October 23, 2008 at 12:34 PM

wise_man on October 23, 2008 at 12:34 PM

I don’t know. I haven’t looked at the statistics. I said its entirely possible Dem voters switched to influence the primaries. Certainly Rush Limbaugh motivated lots of Republicans to do the inverse. Also I didn’t even mention McCain. Perhaps Dem switch-overs voted for Romney as per the advice of Kos. My only point is that open primaries turn democratic elections into a sham.

aengus on October 23, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Also theres no reason for Dem numbers to drop statistically since 2004 as many Dems have presumably migrated to the US from Mexico in the last four years and registered with illegal drivers licences.

aengus on October 23, 2008 at 12:42 PM

I’m not surprised by Palin’s response. Her position is consistent with McCain’s, who is the top of the ticket, and probably based mainly on his guidance. As someone posted earlier, she is not grappling with the challenges of illegal immigration the way some of us are on a daily basis. Palin’s views may change when she encounters legal immigrants who waited their turn and oppose rewarding illegals — or when she meets the families of victims of violent crimes perpetrated by illegal aliens.

In my own experience, living in Maryland, Vermont, Illinois, Massachusetts, Texas, Indiana, and California over the course of the past couple of decades, I found that I never thought much about illegal immigration, until I lived in Texas and California.

Knowing that McCain is unlikely to shift his views on illegal immigration much, whatever Palin might think, I don’t feel particularly disappointed by her answer. It’s politically “safe” for the ticket and she is so good on most issues that I’m fine with her having this weakness.

Y-not on October 23, 2008 at 12:43 PM

I understand. And I also would like to see any factual evidence that anything like this happened. I’ve heard people talking about this, but no proof. And it’s my recollection that this wasn’t even possible in some states to begin with. If there is a webpage somewhere out there that makes the case, and lists all the primary vote results and listed the rules of each state to make this case, then I’d like to see this.

wise_man on October 23, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Most of the people I know who are voting for McCain (my husband and I included), do it reluctantly, and only because the more his socialist ties come out, the scarier Obama is to us.

I don’t even LIKE McCain; respect his service, but think he puts being a maverick over everything, including sometimes his principles. So I’m only voting for McCain because I feel as if there is a gun to my head and it says ‘Obama’ on the barrel.

linlithgow on October 23, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Why is it that people feel compelled to repeat the lie that McCain is a socialist? Or has socialist ties.

wise_man on October 23, 2008 at 12:53 PM

wise_man on October 23, 2008 at 12:46 PM

I’m not saying theres proof of any successful conspiracy to throw the nomination one way or the other just that they’d have reason to try. You yourself referenced Kos’ post. I just think that open primaries are a disgrace because the potential for abuse is there and undermines the legitimacy of the election.

It leaves people wondering if saboteurs helped to finesse the process in any way. I was against these kind of antics when Rush was encouraging switch-overs. I thought it was an outrage how many people cheered him for it.

aengus on October 23, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Hmm. She had to back McCain. It is not worse than Obama. McCain need the Mexican campaign donations. And, there ain’t a Plan B.

The public can still express outrage if when legislation is submitted after the election.

McCain was more receptive to public outrage than Obama ever will be.

Obama is campaigning as citizen of the world with a goal to replace the current America. His first campaign blockbuster was a campaign for the heart of Europeans. We, the old fashioned American birth citizens are a minority in his constituency

McCain still thinks he is an American

entagor on October 23, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Fellow blogsters:

PBS has an online poll asking if Palin is experienced enough. Currently, the results are neck and neck. Go and vote now! Here is the link:

ErinF on October 23, 2008 at 1:00 PM

wise_man on October 23, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Unless linlithgow is seriously saying that the more McCain’s socialist ties come out the scarier Obama becomes I think you put that one down to poor sentence construction.

aengus on October 23, 2008 at 1:01 PM

I do because I understand why people would want to be in America.

I understand why people would want to rob a bank. I also understand why people would want to cheat on their taxes. Does this mean that we should now grant amnesty for all crimes so long as we can understand their motive?

Sammy on October 23, 2008 at 1:22 PM

*groan* I am so sorry linlithgow. And thank you for helping me see that I got it completely wrong, aengus. This is the second time in the last two weeks that I have read something commented and took it the wrong way. Just a few moments ago in the headlines section, someone made the ‘McCain = socialist’ comment and I completely mis read linlithgow’s comment. I thought it mentioned the same, and I was obviously wrong. I am very sorry, linlithgow. Thanks again aengus.

wise_man on October 23, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Wow, I left this conversation last night and it is still going…..Seems that this is an “important issue” that is never given as a option when you get called for a poll.

I screamed at a pollster that asked me what was the most important issue that is affecting your vote…
I said, “Immigration”. He said, “not an option.” I yelled that dammit, it should be:

1.Wages are lowered by illegal aliens working for less pay, no insurance, no workman’s compensation (paid by employer on each employee). Taxes are also not paid when the illegal is paid under the table. That is ONE MORE JOB that is taken away from an American citizen. With so many illegals, there should be NO ONE ON WELFARE!
2.Welfare and free healthcare, food stamps, subsidized housing, college tuition, paid by the American Tax Payer! Again, monies that could be going to pay down the deficit. With the cost of healthcare paid for illegal aliens, we could actually give free healthcare to uninsured/underinsured LEGAL Americans. Est. healthcare cost of illegal aliens in a three year study by Harris County, Texas Hospital System-$560 Million for healthcare costs to illegal aliens.
3.Jail/Incarceration costs for criminal illegal aliens. We should send the bill to each country for housing their criminals.
4.Cost in human lives…it is estimated that 23-30 Americans are killed each day at the hands of illegal aliens. Enough is enough.
5.National security. Do we really know who is coming across our borders?

HornetSting on October 23, 2008 at 1:36 PM

For those of you who had a beef with my applying James 2:13 to this situation and believe that I consider myself “holier than thou” well, here goes…

I too wish McCain’s illegal immigration policies were tougher, and I too wasn’t thrilled with his “amnesty” bill that, thankfully, got shot down last summer. But.

I also believe that rounding up 12 million or more illegals (men, women, and children) is not only impractical, but as a wholsale practice, unmerciful.

Do I have a perfect plan? No. Nobody does, which was my point. If my fellow conservatives are going to get bent with the Mac/Palin campaign over not handling this perfectly, then fine, but right now it’s not an issue than will make a difference come Nov. 4.

As for giving handouts to vagrants when they ask, I’ve vacillated on that issue, and am currently in the go ahead and give if I have it camp. One never knows if he is showing kindness to angels, as Lot did.

If you are not a believer and you don’t agree with me on the immigration issue, fine, my argument isn’t with you, but if you are a believer, you have to understand that the temperance of mercy will blunt a wholesale round up of illegals, and the consequential separation of families.

Oh yeah, I live in Riverside County, CA. Can’t get much more overrun by illegals than that. Both of my boys are the sole white kids in their elementary school classes.

Secure the border first, then find a way to, as humanely as possible, get folks back to their home countries, with their families intact, then. lets see where we are.

pugwriter on October 23, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Do I have a perfect plan?

pugwriter on October 23, 2008 at 1:44 PM

1.Require E-Verify for employers.
2.Jail employers, even if for 6 months, for employing illegal aliens. If you use E-Verify and STILL have illegals, you deserve to go to jail.
3.14th Amendment-no more anchor babies.
4.Stop welfare/medical/school/ benefits for illegal aliens.

No jobs, no money, no mas. They will go home.
Then the Border Patrol could concentrate on keeping drugs/terrorists from entering the country.
Criminal illegal aliens will be dealt with HARSHLY!

HornetSting on October 23, 2008 at 1:51 PM

pugwriter on October 23, 2008 at 1:44 PM

pugwriter, for the millionth time nobody is calling for mass deportations. Attrition through enforcement is the key — that’s as close to perfect a plan as there exists. Amnesty of any form would be a disaster and will only lead to more illegals in the future — regardless of whether we have claimed that the border is now “secure”.

Sammy on October 23, 2008 at 1:53 PM

1.Require E-Verify for employers.
3.14th Amendment-no more anchor babies.
4.Stop welfare/medical/school/ benefits for illegal aliens.

No jobs, no money, no mas. They will go home.
Criminal illegal aliens will be dealt with HARSHLY!

HornetSting on October 23, 2008 at 1:51 PM

All of which I heartily agree with. As a matter of fact, prosecuting employers who hire illegals is probably the quickest route to solving this issue. Even that has to be done carefully.

You know, even the abolition of slavery couldn’t be done wholesale. The economic consequences of abruptly ending even such a horrific practice would have been catastrophic.

pugwriter on October 23, 2008 at 2:04 PM

pugwriter on October 23, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Would have? You need to crack an American history book. The South has only come back from it in the last 20 years.

The slow abolition happened in Brazil, not here.

DwnSouthJukin on October 23, 2008 at 2:19 PM

The slow abolition happened in Brazil, not here.

DwnSouthJukin on October 23, 2008 at 2:19 PM

I get your point. Still, as a matter of law, abolition came quickly, as a matter of acceptance and practice it took a bit longer than abolitionists would have liked. But isn’t that the way of things?

pugwriter on October 23, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Even that has to be done carefully.

pugwriter on October 23, 2008 at 2:04 PM

How many people lost their jobs this year? Stop extending unemployment benefits….the illegals leave, employers will have to pay a fair, living wage. If a couple of McDonalds go under, there will still be employers begging people to work for them.

HornetSting on October 23, 2008 at 2:42 PM

LibTired on October 23, 2008 at 10:41 AM

Yes…please do continue to mischaracterize the windfall profits tax on Alaska. Don’t bother to include the fact that Alaska’s laws are set up differently and that the Alaskan people actually own that oil according to their laws.

powerpro on October 23, 2008 at 2:53 PM

LibTired on October 23, 2008 at 10:41 AM

The oil companies extracting oil from Alaska pay for the oil they are removing. It is Alaska’s oil after all. It is essentially a royalty being paid on the oil. What Palin did is to change the structure of the payments so that the state could take advantage of the higher price of oil than the previous agreement.

Dasher on October 23, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Ummmm, so she supports what Reagan supported, and now all you guys are anti-Reagan?

right2bright on October 23, 2008 at 4:49 PM

For some real fun, translate the Spanish comments from our friendsh at the Univision link, All this Hispandering is a waste of time.

Valiant on October 23, 2008 at 4:52 PM

I scream every time I hear this tired, old, false dichotomy, from yet another reporter, or President Bush, or Sen, McCain, etc. Why not also ask, “Have you stopped beating your spouse?”

… Do you think they all should be deported?
….

Do you then
favor an amnesty for the 12 or 13 million undocumented immigrants?

The correct answer: “Actually, I favor the approach that a vast majority of all Americans (voting) citizens favor – attrition through enforcement.”

Check this poll – the only one to ever offer ALL THREE CHOICES.

fred5678 on October 23, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Check this poll – the only one to ever offer ALL THREE CHOICES.

fred5678 on October 23, 2008 at 5:00 PM

This poll.

fred5678 on October 23, 2008 at 5:02 PM

LibTired on October 23, 2008 at 10:41 AM

No she didn’t punk. She increased the royalty the oil companies have to pay for the right to dig and use the oil. That’s not a windfall profit tax. That’s a royalty increase.

Also, her opinion (of John’s if she is stating the campaign’s position) on illegal immigration is a good one. There is NO WAY anybody is going to win the POTUS by uprooting women and children and marching them back to Mexico a la the “Trail of Tears” of the Cherokee. They need to be assimilated and if they don’t by a certain date (English language anyone?), then they should be sent back.

Get real. Her opinion is just right, with the added requirement of securing the border.

Sapwolf on October 23, 2008 at 7:23 PM

1. You can’t deport them in one fell swoop. Got it. You can’t balance the budget, win the Global War on Terrorism, or fix social security that way either. Each of these things requires a long-term, incremental plan (something that Americans, typically, are (A) unable to understand, (B) too impatient to implement). For illegal immigration: Step 1. Deport any and all criminal illegal aliens (e.g. “criminal” beyond the fact that they are here illegally). Step 2. Change the rules for citizenship so that one must either be a naturalized citizen or born of a citizen in order to be a citizen. No more “anchor babies”. Step 3: Over a 5-year period, increase the fines on companies who employ illegals. Make it unprofitable to employ illegals. Then, after five years, make it illegal to employ illegals, and actually enforce it.
2. She says that it just wouldn’t be “humane” to deport them? Do I really need to get into this one? I think Mrs. Malkin has hit this one pretty well.

Do you then favor an amnesty for the 12 or 13 million undocumented immigrants?

“Not total amnesty”? So partial then? “Equal opportunity”? I’d like for her to define this in the context of illegal immigration. “First in line for services”? Why should illegals have any place in line for said services? Remove the desire to be here illegally, and you’ll cure 90% of the problem.

To clarify, so you support a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants?

1. Why would the people of Mexico/Central America/Northern South America feel the need to leave for safety, prosperity and health? This probably has something to do with the fact that all of our neighbors fully know that if they don’t promote the “right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” that Uncle Sam will take their disgruntled citizens off their backs. Why deal with the problems when you can export it to the Americans?
2. If we remove the desire for people seeking these things to come here (making work impossible to get unless you’re here legally), then they’ll stay home and fix their problems there. This will also free our border patrol to go after those with less than admirable intentions.

Send_Me on October 23, 2008 at 9:24 PM

Wow…they’ve gotten to her already. The pod people have stolen her brain. Juan Hernandez is smiling.

PattyJ on October 24, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Ah, the wonders of pragmatist voting.

jimmyb on October 25, 2008 at 5:22 AM

And it is not impractical nor impossible to round up millions of people. It can, and has, been done.

But one need not even do that. Enforce employment laws and maybe round up 1 million. The rest will take the hint…

jimmyb on October 25, 2008 at 5:23 AM