Obama adviser to McCain adviser: Are you a Muslim?

posted at 1:20 pm on October 22, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Earlier, I wrote about the racebaiting that the Obama campaign has conducted and how it has poisoned policy debate in this election cycle. Obama adviser Austan Goolsbee gives a real-life demonstration of this tactic in a debate on economic policy yesterday with Douglas Holtz-Eakin. After Holtz-Eakin wondered aloud when Team Obama juggled around a tax policy, Goolsbee all but accused Holtz-Eakin of being a racist:

“Is that socialist? Are you a Muslim?”

Holtz-Eakin had a perfectly understandable objection to Goolsbee’s statement — it differed from what Team Obama had proposed earlier.  Holtz-Eakin challenged Goolsbee on the accuracy of his statement, and Goolsbee responded by basically admitting that Team Obama is making up their tax policy as they go along.  He then took a fair point about the McCain health-care plan using the same mechanism and turned it into an accusation of racism against Holtz-Eakin.

No one on Team McCain has ever accused Obama of being a Muslim — ever.  But it serves Goolsbee and Obama to make the accusation.  Now, discussion of mortgage-deduction policy can be declared racist and off-limits to Team McCain for the final two weeks of the election … and to the rest of the country for the next four years.

It’s unethical, dishonest, cheap, and finally stupid.  But that’s the Team Obama approach to this election.

Addendum: This isn’t the first time Goolsbee has been sent to reverse Obama.  Remember the NAFTA Dance?

Comments

Obama could murder a schoolbus full of children and it would be racist to criticize it. It’s the reality we face today: common sense has fled America and there is no room for debate on anything.

Grafted on October 22, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Jack#ss!

canopfor on October 22, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Goolsbee is a nasty piece of work. I saw him debate Holtz-Eakin last spring at a conference of bond market professionals, and he was a total p***k. He is a political hack with an economics degree, not an economist. He will be the propagandist-in-chief if Obama is elected. He gives a bad name to all of us actual economists.

rockmom on October 22, 2008 at 1:20 PM

rockmom on October 22, 2008 at 1:20 PM

rockmom and there are a lot of those types of economists out there.

This guy reeks of elitism, no wonder he is humping Obama’s shoe.

upinak on October 22, 2008 at 1:21 PM

murder a schoolbus of children..

Grafted on Oct 22,2008 at 1:18PM.

Grafted:And the prosecuter of that case would be
thrown under da bus!:)

canopfor on October 22, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Where the heck did that comment come from? What does socialism have to do with being a muslim? Am I missing something here or is this guy just a first class ass???

HawaiiLwyr on October 22, 2008 at 1:23 PM

It’s unethical, dishonest, cheap, and finally stupid. But that’s the Team Obama approach to this election.

Chicago-style politics.

yo on October 22, 2008 at 1:23 PM

They should just call it The Barack “I know you are but what am I?” Obama Campaign.

ocbrat on October 22, 2008 at 1:25 PM

With 12 days left, let’s hope that’s what enough people have learned. My focus is shifting from Obama to my fellow Americans. I’m curious to discover where I live. The truth will set you free.

JiangxiDad on October 22, 2008 at 1:25 PM

I don’t even get his question. What would being a Muslim have to do with anything?

Is there a version of this that has the next couple of lines? I wouldn’t want to spread something that was taken out of context.

Abby Adams on October 22, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Addendum: This isn’t the first time Goolsbee has been sent to reverse Obama. Remember the NAFTA Chicken Dance?

For the laughs. :D

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 22, 2008 at 1:25 PM

The guy even looks a bit like Goebbels. When in doubt…lie.

sdd on October 22, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Obama is getting the same sort of pass from the public they gave OJ during his murder trial.

jp on October 22, 2008 at 1:26 PM

And it’s going to backfire horribly for Obama, who is headed for an epic fail on Nov 4. Anyone who claims they cannot see the storm clouds forming has their eyes shut.

ManlyRash on October 22, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Austin Goolsbee of Fannie Mae fame? Figures.

Even with a McCain win the next four years will be challenging for conservatives given the makeup of congress.

Four years of BO and MO will be truly excruciating.

Cody1991 on October 22, 2008 at 1:27 PM

With 12 days left, let’s hope that’s what enough people have learned. – JiangxiDad on October 22, 2008 at 1:25 PM

You would be surprised if you knew how many are aware of this thuggery – and how many more are learning every day.

ManlyRash on October 22, 2008 at 1:28 PM

WTF?! That crack made absolutely NO sense.
It’s funny when someone has no argument against someone’s questioning, they sit back & act like they are stupid for asking the question & then they go to change the subject-like his crack demonstrates.
Crapmasters. All of them in the Obamanation.

Badger40 on October 22, 2008 at 1:28 PM

I’m assuming he meant “marxist”.

jdpaz on October 22, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Goolsbee is probably trying to build on Colin Powell’s accusations about the McCain camp’s use of the M-word (without any attribution from Powell on who said it) from Sunday’s “Meet the Press”. When race card playing doesn’t seem to be 100 percent effective, try throwing out the race and religion card, and see if that shuts the McCain spokespeople up…

jon1979 on October 22, 2008 at 1:29 PM

What comes after…I’m weary of the cut off clips…They make me get burned.

tomas on October 22, 2008 at 1:29 PM

New AP poll just posted and mentioned by Rush: McCain and Obama are essentially running even among likely voters – 44% Obama, 43% McCain.

ManlyRash on October 22, 2008 at 1:30 PM

This may be justified, according to a law school student posting on another HA thread. He/she claims Obama never claimed to be a post racial candidate, which, I assume, means the race card is an acceptable tool to be used whenever helpful. That certainly clarified things for me.

a capella on October 22, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Without inciting racial hatred and class warfare the democratic party could not exist. Surely the American people are not so ignorant to not see how this abuse of the electorate can cause crack in our society that will fester and only increase with time. Anyone who disagrees with democrats are immediately labeled racists. Joe the Plumber saw first hand what they think of the working man. They made it loud and clear to the working man that to even question their actions, they will destroy you.

volsense on October 22, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Why does the Obama campaign think it is SO BAD to be a Muslim?

Riposte on October 22, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Why does the Obama campaign think it is SO BAD to be a Muslim?

Riposte on October 22, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Good question, but here a number of clips running around the internet right now of McCain supporters that think 1- Obama is a quasi-muslim and 2-it’s a bad thing and the reason why they won’t vote for him.

BTW, I think what the guy said was uncalled for and is an error in judgment.

mycowardice on October 22, 2008 at 1:36 PM

First class team.

Mcguyver on October 22, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Win or lose, I think Obama has been disastrous for race-relations. On the other hand, I have to admit that I really hate guilty white liberals more than they loathe themselves.

Fortunata on October 22, 2008 at 1:39 PM

Why does the Obama campaign think it is SO BAD to be a Muslim?

Riposte on October 22, 2008 at 1:32 PM

They don’t. They even know how many Muslim states there are.
Nothing bad there. No bad gaffes, no, nada, nix, zilch, zero.

First class campaign.

Mcguyver on October 22, 2008 at 1:39 PM

…about two weeks ago…

Joe Comment on October 22, 2008 at 1:40 PM

*shudder*

Grue in the Attic on October 22, 2008 at 1:40 PM

wait, wait, back up the bus. I thought we were passed the awful awful blah-de-blah of racism. That’s what Obama said before right?

Oh, wait the man who was asked works for McCain. Never mind.

P.S. What an asinine question. Maybe McCain’s adviser should have asked “Are you a Christian?” Seems just as relevant.

mjk on October 22, 2008 at 1:42 PM

First class team.
Mcguyver on October 22, 2008 at 1:36 PM

And if Obama is elected, his presidency will be unethical, dishonest, cheap, and finally,

Stupid.

wise_man on October 22, 2008 at 1:42 PM

The problem is they keep addressing these to the McCain campaign – which has NEVER said such – and not the people making those outrageous claims.

Of course, this is the typical sort of campaign slinging we’ve come to expect.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 22, 2008 at 1:42 PM

I thought “socialist” was the new “N” word

ToddonCapeCod on October 22, 2008 at 1:43 PM

What does socialism have to do with being a muslim?

HawaiiLwyr on October 22, 2008 at 1:23 PM

It’s code. You know, code.

Now that you bring it up, that’s a mighty suspicious moniker you’ve got there, HawaiiLwyr. It’s almost as if you’re trying to tell us something, if you know what I mean.

:-o

Gilda on October 22, 2008 at 1:44 PM

wait, wait, back up the bus.

That thing can back up? I thought it didn’t even have brakes!

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 22, 2008 at 1:44 PM

I can just see the headlines Obama caught with teenage boy & girl and 2 ducks and a large cow in bed.Subheadlines would say Obama personal life should not be part of this campain CNN polls reports obama poll numbers up 10 points most people say his personal life should not be reported and it will not change there vote!!! (GOD HELP US)

thmcbb on October 22, 2008 at 1:46 PM

ManlyRash on October 22, 2008 at 1:26 PM

ManlyRash,

AubieJon on October 22, 2008 at 1:46 PM

I think one of the BIGGEST issues that conservatives should use to club Team Obama with is the education “plans” from the Marxist a–hole. Check this out, its scarey: http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/5701

Andy in Agoura Hills on October 22, 2008 at 1:47 PM

tomas on October 22, 2008 at 1:29 PM

You’re one more reason to vote McCain/Palin. Not that I needed one.

AubieJon on October 22, 2008 at 1:49 PM

WTF….

Where was he going with that?

Another Youtube for the comprehensive review.

patrick neid on October 22, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Seems to me it was meant to be a ‘does the pope shit in the woods?” type of thing.

cyclosarin on October 22, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Grue in the Attic on October 22, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Do you think these claims are outrageous?

Fortunata on October 22, 2008 at 1:50 PM

AubieJon on October 22, 2008 at 1:46 PM

He says he just knows. It’s not like clairvoyance or anything, he just knows… same way he knows that the sun is going to come up, it’s just there.

Yeah I don’t really get it either, but it’s kinda reassuring in a weird vague way.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 22, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Stupid is as stupid does.
Nothing more need be said.

either orr on October 22, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Do you think these claims are outrageous?

Fortunata on October 22, 2008 at 1:50 PM

That Obama’s a Muslim? I certainly think it’s a stretch. There are more stable facts – that his religion of choice is a hateful, vile, twisted form of Anti-American pseudo-Christianity led by a preacher who swears like a sailor from the pulpit – that are more reliable and more important, IMO.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 22, 2008 at 1:52 PM

OT: Rush finally said it. Regarding an Obama administration: “IF there are still elections in 2010.” 10:40 AM Pacific time. *shudder* Grue in the Attic on October 22, 2008 at 1:40 PM

That’s easily imaginable and dovetails perfectly with Biden’s Kinsley Gaffe regarding our enemies.

Here’s the scenario:

Obama gets in office. Talk radio is shut down. Legislation is proposed to regulate the internet. National hate crime an sedition legislation is proposed.

There is a terrorist attack on the mainland U.S. Obama declares martial law and calls for the creation of a “National Security Force.” Congress passes hate crime and sedition legislation.

Supreme Court declares it unconsitutional in a 5-4 decisin. Congress, in accordance powers granted to it by the Constitution, strips SCOTUS of jurisdiction over this issue.

The oil industry and other major industries are seized and nationalized along with the banking industry

Elections are suspended in 2010 due to the “ongoing crisis.” Massive protests are put down and habeus corpus suspended.

Scary as hell. But it ain’t gonna happen, because Obama is gonna lose.

ManlyRash on October 22, 2008 at 1:54 PM

It’s the O.J. trial ….. black resentment and white guilt in the jury box (electorate).

Logic is out the window. Gone.

BRING OUT REV WRIGHT AND ODINGA!

Let’s roll.

ex-Democrat on October 22, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Is that socialism?

Yup.

Are you a muslim?

Nope.

Goolsbee: Am I a sewer rat?

Oh, First Rate! Big Time!

Teddy on October 22, 2008 at 1:59 PM

I appreciate your optimism, and I share it, too. Are you going on gut feeling or are you seeing something concrete that is the basis for that optimism? Thanks. – AubieJon on October 22, 2008 at 1:46 PM

While there is plenty of concrete evidence to argue for a McCain victory at this point in time, I was saying McCain would win at a time when victory looked impossible.

It’s something I know – like a fact. I can’t unknow it or doubt it, anymore than I can doubt the existence of the sun. I have no explanation for it nor do I attribute it to clairvoyance or whispers from God.

I just know it. That’s all there is to say.

ManlyRash on October 22, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Welll, gosh, okay I stand before you and admit to the world that I’m a Raaaacccciiiiiist…. I don’t like Obama ‘s socialist policies! Ahhh, I feeeeeel soooo much better admitting my inequities….. Now, time to live free from that hidden information and continue to bring Obama down in flames. this is better than AA

MNDavenotPC on October 22, 2008 at 2:00 PM

That Obama’s a Muslim?

Muslim or apostate…..fact.

btw, if you look at the context of Barry’s “my muslim faith” comment (then “corrected” by George Stephawhocares) you will see that the “my Christian faith” phrase makes no sense.

Within the context, only “my muslim faith” makes sense (Barry was referring to how “McCain to his credit hasn’t brought up my muslim faith”—-something like…makes no sense with “Christian” in there.

Barry = muslim …. or apostate

Barry = Al-Mansourian Candidate

McCain/Palin ’08

Let’s roll!

ex-Democrat on October 22, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Fortunata on October 22, 2008 at 1:39 PM

100% on target, they took the race bait hook, line and sinker!

dmann on October 22, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Manly rash

I know what you’re referring to: it’s instinct or a sense of knowing without basis…. I feel it as well. Problem is, the left has a hard time arguing with you when you reveal such a state…. it’s rather fun!

MNDavenotPC on October 22, 2008 at 2:03 PM

MNDavenotPC on October 22, 2008 at 2:03 PM

You should see what it does to the Trolls here. :D

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 22, 2008 at 2:03 PM

As far as I can tell, leftists are a bit uncreative in their lines of attack.
Anything that is not strictly on social or economic policy (conservatives are hateful puritans, or are giving money to rich people) is some form of projection: they accuse conservatives of doing what the left wants to do (silence the press, infringe on personal liberties, take over the world, etc.)

Count to 10 on October 22, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Let’s roll!

ex-Democrat on October 22, 2008 at 2:01 PM

It’s hard to imagine that a nation that could produce a group of citizens that could take down a passenger jet into a field instead letting terrorists murder 100s or 1000s of innocent people could elect a lowlife like Obama-Ayers.

AubieJon on October 22, 2008 at 2:05 PM

“Are you a muslim?”

I don’t know what the response was, but the proper one is:

“No. Were you raised, during your formative years, by a muslim parent, in a muslim country, registered as a muslim in school?”

progressoverpeace on October 22, 2008 at 2:06 PM

That’s one of the reasons I believe McCain/Palin wins.

AubieJon on October 22, 2008 at 2:06 PM

I’m telling you all until we all just admit that we are all racists and racism is a good thing this crap will continue to go on.

unseen on October 22, 2008 at 2:07 PM

btw, I’m headed to the Leesburg, VA Obama rally this afternoon with other McCain supporters to PROTEST his marxist, anti-American arse.

Team Barry is skeered in Virginia, even with the WaPoo carrying a tankful of his water 24/7 in Northern Virginia.

Can’t wait.

ALL THE WAY UNTIL NOVEMBER 4th folks….the polls are tightening (getting more honest as we get closer lol…what maroons).

I’m doing EVERYTHING I can….with I had more $$s. If I were a zillionaire there would be a conservative MoveOn out there (vanguard.org was supposed to be one; but what p*ssies).

Let’s roll.

ex-Democrat on October 22, 2008 at 2:09 PM

unseen on October 22, 2008 at 2:07 PM

There are several racists that have appeared prominently in this campaign.
All of them support Obama.

Count to 10 on October 22, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Another (rhymes with ‘kick’) playing the race/religion card.

Double down, jerk.

madmonkphotog on October 22, 2008 at 2:15 PM

unseen on October 22, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Charges of racism are simply ad hominems that are meant to change the subject (usually because the person has no rebuttal to the actual argument).

As long as we allow those charges to change the subject, the opposition will continue to use them to ‘win’ an argument.

Honestly, you could put a cross burning, sheet wearing jackass in a debate and if he says, “Spreading the wealth around? That’s socialism!” he’s right on that point. He may be wrong about everything else in life, but he’s right that it’s socialism and it does not matter who or what he is if the facts back it up. If that same racist idiot stood in front of a crowd and said, “Hey, the earth spins on it’s axis and rotates around the sun.”, would they argue that it’s not true because he’s a racist? Facts are facts regardless of who states them.

JadeNYU on October 22, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Barry = Al-Mansourian Candidate
ex-Democrat on October 22, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Righton Righton! That makes McCain Frank Sinatra?

Western_Civ on October 22, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Yeah, but what haunts me up at night is it appears to be working.

Willie on October 22, 2008 at 2:30 PM

ManlyRash on October 22, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Explain, open my eyes, I need to get some sleep at night.

Willie on October 22, 2008 at 2:33 PM

A President Obama (spit) will make President Clinton seem like President Washington.

sdd on October 22, 2008 at 2:40 PM

It’s unethical, dishonest, cheap, and finally stupid. But that’s the Team Obama approach to this election Obama in a nutshell.

fourstringfuror on October 22, 2008 at 2:51 PM

If a McCain associate said this……

Alden Pyle on October 22, 2008 at 2:53 PM

As with the John Edwards affair, we are being treated to an evident news blockade. When John Edwards was busted jockeying around the hotel where his lover lives, the MSM kept quiet for several days and blocked the story from getting out. This is amazing, but it shows how much the MSM is in collusion with some one or some organization — could be communists.

The “official” Obama “birth certificate” has been proven to be faked. And then the question becomes why? Why does Obama allow such fraudulent acts or even tolerate them. But here is the real stickler: Mr. Obama and the DNC were sued by Phllip J. Berg http://www.obamacrimes.com to have a judge order Mr. Obama to produce a valid, verifiable, legal birth certificate in order to fulfill the constitutional requirement that persons running for the Presidency of the United States by natural born citizens — and Mr. Obama and the DNC have, instead of producing said certificate, filled a motion to dismiss. Interestingly enough, Mr. Obama and the DNC did NOT file a response — and affirmative defense — to the effect that the certificate was already on the Internet and viewable. Why? Because 1) it’s a fake, or 2) Mr. Barack Obama does not have a valid birth certificate for the U.S. and/or is NOT a natural born citizen and therefore does not qualify to run for president.

Ask yourself, you are reasonable person — why would Mr. Obama not want to fulfill the requirement of the Constitution? What is he up to?

Judah Benjamin has much to say regarding Mr. Obama’s lack of openness: http://texasdarlin.wordpress.com/2008/10/21/bombshell/#more-4155

Mr. Phil Berg was interviewed by G. Gordon Liddy this morning (Wednesday) and stated that he will be filing today a motion for summary judgment.

One interesting point that Mr. Benjamin reveals is that Mr. Obama has no reasonable claim of privacy regarding the requirement that he present valid proof that he is a natural born citizen. But interestingly enough, Mr. Berg is adamantly convinced that Obama cannot provide such proof.

I suggest we all raise our voices in concert and demand that Mr. Obama comply or remove his name from contention. Obama is trivializing the Constitution and really shows a great deal of contempt for the citizens of America.

The best safeguard for our country at this time is to overwhelmingly vote for John McCain and Sarah Palin.

God bless America.

Other link:
Obamalies or lies Obama tells

AdrianS on October 22, 2008 at 2:55 PM

The only thing worse then a politician is the person working for the politician.

budorob on October 22, 2008 at 2:57 PM

I don’t think Obama is a muslim and I don’t think he is a Christian. He worships at the alter of opportunism. Whatever is expedient.

Although I do think is has real anti-Jewish tendencices and is very pro-Palestinian.

bopbottle on October 22, 2008 at 3:27 PM

For those seeking to understand why Ghoulsbie said what he said, it may help to imagine him trolling a conservative message board, say, Hot Air for instance.

Essentially, he was saying “or is that socialist?” to mean “or are you going to smear me with another one of your code words, like ‘Muslim?’”

Hannibal Smith on October 22, 2008 at 3:39 PM

I loathe Goolsbee.

Domino on October 22, 2008 at 3:53 PM

Scary as hell. But it ain’t gonna happen, because Obama is gonna lose.

ManlyRash on October 22, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Wow, ManlyRash, I take back calling you a MOBY. That is the first post of yours (that I have read) that could be used to disuade a person from voting for Obama.
Don’t get me wrong- it’s not that you haven’t been relentlessly optimistic that McCain will win, but that kind of “tamping down” of outrage is often what the opposing side does. However, they don’t cross over into a HIGHLY persuasive argument against their side.
So I’m sorry I doubted you. Now go ahead, start attacking me, like you always do. I won’t feel the need to counter-attack. That came from thinking you were “the enemy”.
Again, that post was powerful- the kind that lends itself to be copied and sent via email to all known parties not voting for McCain*Palin. Thanks.

NightmareOnKStreet on October 22, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Austan Goolsbee is becoming a laughingstock, a liability for the University of Chicago, as well as Obama’s campaign.

Never trust an academic to do a man’s job.

furytrader on October 22, 2008 at 5:04 PM

He is a low life liberal piece of Sh….t that’s all.

pukara61 on October 22, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Just once, I would like to see someone employ the ‘civilised’ response of the Taiwanese pols when they are insulted and smeared and cold-cock one these efite leftist know-nothing snobs!

Sporty1946 on October 22, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Goebbels… You’re a towel!

Cr4sh Dummy on October 22, 2008 at 8:07 PM

Has that dumb@$$ ever heard of the Laufer Curver?

We are going to have these morons making economic decisions?

Tim Burton on October 23, 2008 at 12:58 PM