NRA ad: “Imagine”

posted at 9:05 pm on October 22, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

You won’t mistake this for John Lennon’s insipid and nihilist ditty. The NRA doesn’t do subtle in normal election cycles, and they’re not going to start in 2008 (via the Political Machine):

I wrote about this in June, and it’s on the level.  Rather than rewrite the same post, just click the link and get the background on Hale DeMar and Wilmette’s attempt to charge him with the crime of defending himself.  Where does Barack Obama come into the story?  He was on the wrong end of a lopsided 41-16 vote on a bill that didn’t even remove Wilmette’s gun ban, but only prevented prosecution in case of real self-defense.  This would have been a great example of bipartisanship — except Obama voted with the minority of the party to keep prosecuting people who had the temerity to defend themselves.

The vote on SB2165 and Obama’s continuing efforts to keep laws in place to prosecute victims demonstrate that Obama has tried hard to mislead voters on his hostility towards gun ownership.  He was in the minority of his own party on this issue.  That makes him an ideologue, not a post-partisan moderate.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

My boss is a big NRA guy and he is scared of an Obama administration.
OT: Construction begins at site of Obama’s big election night party.

carbon_footprint on October 22, 2008 at 9:07 PM

This is why the NRA wins. They play hardball but they always make their message clear. They always speak to what matters to people. They don’t back down from their positions and they call the other guy out.

D0WNT0WN on October 22, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Glad my yearly dues are being put to good use.

Offshore_Drilling on October 22, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Lovely.

SouthernGent on October 22, 2008 at 9:13 PM

Anyone with a gun should be scared of an Obama administration.

Geronimo on October 22, 2008 at 9:15 PM

Hope this is running in swing states!

We need the NRA ad guys running our campaign!

freeus on October 22, 2008 at 9:15 PM

This is sounding more Socialistic by the day!

canopfor on October 22, 2008 at 9:15 PM

OT: Construction begins at site of Obama’s big election night party.

carbon_footprint on October 22, 2008 at 9:07 PM

Please, please let him over step. Again.

Cindy Munford on October 22, 2008 at 9:16 PM

Hey Offshore, me too – Lifetime!

Nobama wants us to become citizens of the world – a world without the basic tools of self defense. I had to use my firearm once, in self defense, and boy howdy, no body is taking that away from me now.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on October 22, 2008 at 9:18 PM

This makes me feel good about being an endowment member of the NRA.

DAT60A3 on October 22, 2008 at 9:18 PM

Well, they need to get that on the air in FL QUICK, since TV just this second got done with Obama declaring he’d protect our 2D amendment rights and the right to self defense…

tree hugging sister on October 22, 2008 at 9:18 PM

tree hugging sister

Can you explain this? Nobama is claiming to defend 2D?

InTheBellyoftheBeast on October 22, 2008 at 9:21 PM

Mr. Obama is clearly a LIAR about guns and certainly want’s to take away our 2nd amendment rights.

He chooses a VP Candidate that is a looney, who thinks that he’s not even the best VP choice.

Mr. Obama LIED about the infanticide bill and stood IDLY by while our economy tumbled after taking money from Freddie/Fannie.

Mr. Obama REFUSES to release his Medical records…

Yet Sarah Palin SCARES people?

originalpechanga on October 22, 2008 at 9:22 PM

Every 2A supporter I know is already way ahead of the curve – stocked up and still stocking. Anything banned under the previous AWB is increasing in demand.

Local gun shows in VA regularly attract 10-15 thousand attendees over a weekend for a reason. Still, there are many lawmakers who are completely out of touch when it comes to this issue. However, thankfully, there are many blue-dogs Dems who will stick up for 2A rights.

BTW, it was the 2nd Amendment for a reason.

dugan on October 22, 2008 at 9:23 PM

The Republicans could learn a lot from the NRA! Here is the perfect example of an organization that never compromises with the enemy. No one is more vilified, hated and lied about in the media then the NRA! They are blamed for crime. They are blamed for the deaths of children! They are called every name in the book. Yet,, they do not cower when called names. They do not sit around and wait to react to attacks. They are often on the offensive in the war to protect the 2nd amendment! They continue to grow and continue to be successful! They are everything that moderates, RINO’s and independents say you can’t be to win!
The NRA does not care who they offend while standing up for America, the constitution and the 2nd Amendment.
One can only imagine the success the Republicans would have if they adopted the same kind of determination and guts for conservatism that are so well displayed by the NRA in the fight to preserve the 2nd amendment!

JellyToast on October 22, 2008 at 9:23 PM

O/T, Hillary invokes the VRWC at Frankens rally-Drudge!

canopfor on October 22, 2008 at 9:24 PM

It’s going to be worse when it’s Obama “breaking into your house” to take away your firearms.

Mojave Mark on October 22, 2008 at 9:24 PM

“Gun Ban” is a code phrase for black men who date young white girls.

Just ask any redneck racists in Western Pa, they’ll tell ya.

Elizabetty on October 22, 2008 at 9:26 PM

Mojave Mark on October 22, 2008 at 9:24 PM

As the saying goes, if they want our guns, they can have ‘em – bullets first.

dugan on October 22, 2008 at 9:26 PM

Can you explain this? Nobama is claiming to defend 2D?

Yup. It was an ad that just played with Obama himself saying he’s always supported the 2D AND a right to self protection. We ’bout spit dinner out. First time they’ve played it. I’m digging thru his website right now and couldn’t find it on YouTube.

tree hugging sister on October 22, 2008 at 9:26 PM

We are just starting a local Member Council (which is the Ca version of an NRA club – the republic’s attempt to neuter us), and folks are coming out of the wood work to join. They are fed up with the assaults on gun ownership and the blatant, repeated lies about gun violence.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on October 22, 2008 at 9:26 PM

When Osama Obama makes guns illegal, only Obama’s criminals will have guns.

And don’t forget he wants to do the same thing — unilaterally — with our nuclear deterrent (such as it is) as well.

MrScribbler on October 22, 2008 at 9:28 PM

So, uh, when does the NRA get put in charge of the GOP’s advertising department. They’re very subtle. You know, if you define “subtle” as “a 2×4 to the face”.

amerpundit on October 22, 2008 at 9:30 PM

The GOP needs to learn a thing or two from the NRA’s political machine.

Valiant on October 22, 2008 at 9:30 PM

Thank you Tree Hugging sis.

They must be desperate to turn on their lefty base so nakedly.

Think the MSM will pick this up and disseminate his conversion to a 2A supporter?

Sorry about your dinner though.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on October 22, 2008 at 9:30 PM

It’ll be hours before my stomach settles. And I’ll be danged if I can find the thing.

tree hugging sister on October 22, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Great ad. Clear, concise, easy to understand. And fact-filled.

When do the ads hit the TV?

I gotta believe that the RNC has been holding back in order to focus efforts right before the election. They don’t have the resources Obama has. But it’s getting late – hoping to see the pace pick up over the weekend (at the latest).

connertown on October 22, 2008 at 9:32 PM

Obama the gun grabber… say it long and say it loud NRA !!

Maxx on October 22, 2008 at 9:33 PM

So let me get this straight…

Ed posts the anti-Obama stuff and Allah posts the anti-Palin stuff? Seems fair. :-)

barry norris on October 22, 2008 at 9:35 PM

Don’t underestimate the RNC resources. They had 200 mil in the bank two years ago. They knew this was going to be a fist fight to the end even then.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on October 22, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Imagine all THE PEOPLE shooting all the croooooyoohoooo.

You may say I’m a gun nut.
But I’m not the only one.
I hope some day you’ll join us
Cause happiness is a warm gun.

Roger Waters on October 22, 2008 at 9:36 PM

My Dad, a life long Dem called me today, out of the blue, which he never does. The first thing he says to me: “If you do not have a gun you better get one now because if O gets elected you will not be able to buy one.” I encouraged him to tell all his friends. Heh!

kahall on October 22, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Spread the wealth ~ Collect the firearms?

Catchy, huh?

profitsbeard on October 22, 2008 at 9:38 PM

Sixty million gun owners out there, it would be a shame for the DFL if they started making life difficult for us. A big shame.

Proud NRA member since 1984.

Bishop on October 22, 2008 at 9:39 PM

Few people really know the extent of influence the NRA has in the political realm. They like to fly under the radar and hit the target before it knows it has been spotted.

Long live the NRA.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on October 22, 2008 at 9:39 PM

It’s 3 AM…

econavenger on October 22, 2008 at 9:40 PM

PS – We have been in the new gun a month club for a year now. And find that it helps to attend the gun show with a dolly to transport the ammo to the truck.

I agree with kahall’s dad, get em while you can. If McCain wins then we will all just have better collections.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on October 22, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Uh, that’s not exactly right. Most recently, The NRA supported HR 2640, the Veterans Disarmament Act. In the past, they’ve supported registration and tax on full auto, short barrelled, and suppressors. They support the “sporting purposes” clause. They support the 4473 form required to buy a gun. They support banning certain guns from being manufactured and/or imported. They support serial numbers requirements. And that’s just for starts. The NRA is the big political force, but the GOA is much better as far as preserving our rights.

The NRA SUPPORTS the Brady Bill, which is the Instant background check. The NRA SUPPORTS the 1989 weapon Import ban, signed by Bush senior.

The NRA SUPPORTED the original magazine capacity ban, before it became an assault weapons ban

angelat0763 on October 22, 2008 at 9:43 PM

Obama doesn’t need a gun. He’s got his personal security network of Acorn to respond along with the Ayers family down the street packing explosives.

NRA Rocks

Hening on October 22, 2008 at 9:43 PM

[EXPLETIVE] BARACK!!
VOTE McCAIN-PALIN!!!
WHAT PART OF FLIGHT 93 HAVE WE FORGOTTEN?!? REAL AMERICANS FIGHT BACK, DAMMIT!!!!

HotAirJosef on October 22, 2008 at 9:44 PM

It’s 3 AM…

Michelle honey, would you answer that and tell Chavez to call me tomorrow about coordinating our socialization programs.

Bishop on October 22, 2008 at 9:44 PM

If we end up with a full democratic controlled legislature and Obama in the WH, you will see national legislation that will clamp down on 2nd amendment rights that will make the Brady bill look like a tea party. These morons will go right after the manufacturers of ammo and weapons at the same time telling us we can keep our guns. Once we’re out of ammo, the rest is all down hill to outright socialism.

Rovin on October 22, 2008 at 9:45 PM

Cheers! Ed, great post.

d1carter on October 22, 2008 at 9:47 PM

Last night I had a long talk on the phone with my brother-in-law of 35 years. He’s a true “undecided” Democrat here in CA, but a big 2nd admin. guy and has alot of weapons in his house.

I told him if Bambi gets in power that he would do everything he could to restrict his use of his firearms. He said no one has that kind of power and kinda blew me off a bit on the issue.

I just e-mailed him this ad.

Hope it changes his mind.

I think it will, another vote for McCain/Palin.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on October 22, 2008 at 9:48 PM

Breaking from Zombietime: William Ayers’ forgotten communist manifesto

Sorry for OT’ing, Captain, everybody. I’m not sure where your contact form is.

NoamSayin on October 22, 2008 at 9:51 PM

Love that scary picture of Barry. Turnabout is fair play.

Buy Danish on October 22, 2008 at 9:52 PM

At first, I thought that whole “from my cold dead hands” thing was a little much, even when I became an NRA member.

No longer. I say it, and I mean it.

In an election year that’s building up to be tough, the one thing that makes me feel good is being a part of a kick-asses-and-take-names lobby. No one is tougher than us. Obama and Congressional Dems might learn that the hard way soon enough–in a 2010 reversal of power.

It’s something to work towards.

Pope Linus on October 22, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Wow. The NRA pulls no punches, indeed. It’s an effective ad: I’ve never understood this insanity of charging the victim in cases of self-defense. Britain has had a couple of incidents of this Orwellian madness, too. Fingers crossed this ad helps tip a few states.

It’s funny. I don’t own a gun and have no desire ever to own one, but I’m considering giving money to the NRA because I’m more worried by politicians who would ignore or “creatively reinterpret” the clear language of the 2nd amendment than I am of average citizens owning hunting rifles or pistols.

irishspy on October 22, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Outlaw guns and only outlaws will own them.

Give me liberty or give me death Obama.

Kevin in Washington State on October 22, 2008 at 10:03 PM

I was going to respond to angelat0763, but she is a troll who and feeding them only encourages them.

The NRA does not support gun bans, or gun banners. It is total BS, on a par with Nobama claiming to support 2A.

Go away angel, adults are talking here (stole that one).

InTheBellyoftheBeast on October 22, 2008 at 10:09 PM

With commercials like this, even if don’t own a gun, it’s worth joining the NRA

phreshone on October 22, 2008 at 10:12 PM

OT: Construction begins at site of Obama’s big election night party.

carbon_footprint on October 22, 2008 at 9:07 PM

It’s almost like they want a riot. Seriously, they have to know that a bunch of crazed Obamanites who gather to celebrate Obama’s perceived big win only to watch him lose and then expect every disappointed freak, anarchist, racist, socialist, and all the other scum that is attracted to Obama to just go home humbly and peacefully is absolutely out of their mind.

It’s a set-up to punish the country for denying Obama his throne. I’m serious, they know what they are doing by setting this up. If Obama loses Chicago may burn.

It’s pretty obvious why they don’t want you to defend yourself. They intend to wipe you out.

Guardian on October 22, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Thats MY NRA!
Someone research Pres. candidates that have won without NRA support. I bet very, very few!
I wish I could say this is MY Republican party but they need to learn to, bring it!
Hold fire then at the right time, bring it, hard, fast and often!
Nows the time!
Oh, and “I’m Joe The Plumber” Sparticus!

dhunter on October 22, 2008 at 10:14 PM

With commercials like this, even if don’t own a gun, it’s worth joining the NRA

phreshone on October 22, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Yes, please do join the NRA. The more the merrier. There are only 4-5 million now, we can always use more.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on October 22, 2008 at 10:14 PM

John Lennon’s insipid and nihilist ditty.

You forgot communist.

jgapinoy on October 22, 2008 at 10:14 PM

I won’t give up my guns. Like to see anyone try to. Being a woman, my husband taught me to use a gun. I love shooting.

Also, angelat0763 on October 22, 2008 at 9:43 PM

My husband has medals that he has won. He is a expert shooter. He has been a member of the NRA for over 40 years. And all that you said is so full of it. Not one thing you said is true.

Guns are for sport, some collect them and never use them. And then some have them in case they need to use them. To protect themselves, or someone they love. Just never show a gun to scare someone. If you show it, USE IT!

sheebe on October 22, 2008 at 10:18 PM

Reminds me to buy another case of ammo!
If the 0B0mber thugs come for mine they will have to crawl across a mountain of spent casings, get by the Louisville Slugger, the cat, the dog, the kid, and worst of all the pissed off WIFE!

dhunter on October 22, 2008 at 10:31 PM

“Self defense” is today’s racist code word. I can’t believe an organization like the NRA would stoop to that level.

km on October 22, 2008 at 10:47 PM

amerpundit on October 22, 2008 at 9:30 PM

Sometimes, you just have to, to get folks attention. The NRA has done it’s best to keep what is left of the 2nd Amendment. Maybe you live where there is no need for self defense or protection, but I sure don’t.

N4646W on October 22, 2008 at 10:49 PM

Remember. In Texas, we have the Castle Doctrine.

We shoot, shoot again, and shoot some more.

madmonkphotog on October 22, 2008 at 10:58 PM

They should have made Joey Plugs the intruder in the mask, just for extra oomph.

Grafted on October 22, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Obviously not enough people care what Obama is, who his associations are, what he did, what he didn’t do or what he will or won’t do in the future. It is a mental state, messiah-rockstar emotional wave on display by the now well mind-conditioned products of the left’s educational triumphs, welfare system and a corrupt and evil media. If that weren’t the case Hillary would be in the race and not “That One.”

wepeople on October 22, 2008 at 11:01 PM

No, not total BS. NRA asked its California members to hold their nose and vote for Dan Lundgren for Governor. Lundgren, as state AG, used AW registration lists to confiscate SKS rifles after reversing his written opinion that they were legal to buy and own. NRA felt that, with redistricting coming up, having a gun-grabbing Republican in the Governor’s office was better strategically than Gray Davis rubber-stamping whatever the Democrat-controlled legislature came up with. Turned out to be a dumb move, Lundgren lost anyway, and the NRA pissed off a bunch of members for nothing. They do compromise on tactics when they think they have to, but not on goals.

Socratease on October 22, 2008 at 11:07 PM

Subject: Fw: Obama and Gun Rights

Illinois State Rifle Association Executive Director Richard Pearson Issues Open Letter to Nation’s Sportsmen regarding Barack H. Obama’s History in the Illinois Senate

CHICAGO, Oct 15, 2008 /PRNewswire-USNewswire via COMTEX/ — The following is the text of an open letter to the nation’s hunters and sportsmen issued today by Illinois State Rifle Association Executive Director Richard Pearson:

Fellow Sportsman,

Hello, my name is Rich Pearson and I have been active in the firearm rights movement for over 40 years. For the past 15 years, I have served in the Illinois state capitol as the chief lobbyist for the Illinois State Rifle Association.

I lobbied Barack Obama extensively while he was an Illinois State Senator. As a result of that experience, I know Obama’s attitudes toward guns and gun owners better than anyone. The truth be told, in all my years in the Capitol I have never met a legislator who harbors more contempt for the law-abiding firearm owner than does Barack Obama.

Although Obama claims to be an advocate for the 2nd Amendment, his voting record in the Illinois Senate paints a very different picture. While a state senator, Obama voted for a bill that would ban nearly every hunting rifle, shotgun and target rifle owned by Illinois citizens. That same bill would authorize the state police to raid homes of gun owners to forcibly confiscate banned guns. Obama supported a bill that would shut down law-abiding firearm manufacturers including Springfield Armory, Armalite, Rock River Arms and Les Baer. Obama also voted for a bill that would prohibit law-abiding citizens from purchasing more than one gun per month.

Without a doubt, Barack Obama has proven himself to be an enemy of the law abiding firearm owner. At the same time, Obama has proven himself to be a friend to the hardened criminal. While a state senator, Obama voted 4 times against legislation that would allow a homeowner to use a firearm in defense of home and family.

Does Barack Obama still sound to you like a “friend” of the law-abiding gun owner?

And speaking of friends, you can always tell a person by the company they keep. Obama counts among his friends the Rev. Michael Pfleger – a renegade Chicago priest who has openly called for the murder of gun shop owners and pro-gun legislators. Then there is his buddy Richard Daley, the mayor of Chicago who has declared that if it were up to him, nobody would be allowed to own a gun. And let’s not forget Obama’s pal George Soros – the guy who has pumped millions of dollars into the UN’s international effort to disarm law-abiding citizens.

Obama has shown that he is more than willing to use other people’s money to fund his campaign to take your guns away from you. While a board member of the leftist Joyce Foundation, Barack Obama wrote checks for tens of millions of dollars to extremist gun control organizations such as the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence and the Violence Policy Center.

By now, I’m sure that many of you have received mailings from an organization called “American Hunters and Shooters Association(AHSA)” talking about what a swell fellow Obama is and how he honors the 2nd Amendment and how you will never have to worry about Obama coming to take your guns. Let me make it perfectly clear – everything the AHSA says about Obama is pure hogwash. The AHSA is headed by a group of left-wing elitists who subscribe to the British view of hunting and shooting. That is, a state of affairs where hunting and shooting are reserved for the wealthy upper-crust who can afford guided hunts on exclusive private reserves. The AHSA is not your friend, never will be.

In closing, I’d like to remind you that I’m a guy who has actually gone nose to nose with Obama on gun rights issues. The Obama I know cannot even begin to identify with this nation’s outdoor traditions. The Obama I know sees you, the law abiding gun owner, as nothing but a low-class lummox who is easily swayed by the flash of a smile and a ration of rosy rhetoric. The Obama I know is a stony-faced liar who has honed his skill at getting what he wants – so long as people are willing to give it to him.

That’s the Barack Obama I know.

The ISRA is the state’s leading advocate of safe, lawful and responsible firearms ownership. Founded in 1903, the ISRA has represented the interests of millions of law-abiding Illinois firearm owners.

This press release was posted on PRnewswire.

Posted Wed Oct 15 18:44:24 CDT 2008

If you need verification, here is the website for the Illinois State Rifle Association: http://www.isra.org/

Dersu on October 22, 2008 at 11:15 PM

This ad makes me really, really mad. It is so clear, so well spelled out, so quick, so cheap and so powerful, that I think back on the drivel and soft-peddling crap that comes from the RNC and the McCain campaign and I want to puke.

The NRA should be in charge of all Republican advertising.

Jaibones on October 22, 2008 at 11:40 PM

I’ve never even owned a gun, but I joined the NRA with their wimpiest $10/year membership (I don’t get anything but alerts for it basically).

I’m a STAUNCH 2nd Amendment defender though and Obama is dead set on taking away gun rights.

The purpose of the 2nd Amendment is to defend ourselves against a tyrannical government … and until Obama came along I never thought we would have one. But, why not? Why should we not have to fight just like our ancestors?

I gotta get that weapon soon…..Let’s roll.

ex-Democrat on October 22, 2008 at 11:41 PM

Gun bans will never work…bad guys will have them, good guys will die because they don’t have them.

mindhacker on October 22, 2008 at 11:55 PM

Lifetime Member here.
The NRA, the last line of defense. They protect the right that protects ALL rights.

americaslaststand on October 23, 2008 at 12:12 AM

The 1st Amendment is the mouth;

The 2nd Amendment is the teeth.

Don’t gum up the Constitution.

profitsbeard on October 23, 2008 at 12:29 AM

Breaking from Zombietime: William Ayers’ forgotten communist manifesto

Sorry for OT’ing, Captain, everybody. I’m not sure where your contact form is.

NoamSayin on October 22, 2008 at 9:51 PM

Thank you for posting that. I’ve been waiting for it all day. Ayers was a communist then, and Ayers is a communist today…and we cannot let them beat John McCain. We’ve got to keep this nightmare from happening. I plan to work as hard as I can, every day until election day.

capitalist piglet on October 23, 2008 at 12:38 AM

I’m tired of Republicans twisting Obama’s position and representing his support of gun ownership as a lie. He fully supports the right of all Americans to own guns, disassembled, and with one bullet you can sign out of the township armory after a background check.

Limerick on October 23, 2008 at 12:47 AM

To channel King Leonidas “Come and get them!”

CRIMINALS FOR GUN CONTROL…why should we risk being injured on the job?

Black Adam on October 23, 2008 at 1:51 AM

Thank God I live in a state with no government gun records. The State of Florida has no idea how many guns I have (or don’t have). That makes taking them away near impossible.

Mark Jaquith on October 23, 2008 at 2:36 AM

Indiana shares a border with Illinois (for you Democrats who don’t know geography as well as history). Our governor (Mitch Daniels) is a strong protector of 2nd Amendment rights and signed Castle Doctrine legislation as well as lifetime carry permit legislation. Indiana is a “shall issue” state, which means we don’t have to prove we need a carry permit; the state has to prove we aren’t eligible (criminal record, etc.). Indiana also has a budget surplus. Illinois has none of the above but they do have a colorful governor who will soon be sharing a prison cell with his friends. I was born in Illinois (no fault of my own) but am a very proud Hoosier since 1975. The only real difference between Illinois and Indiana is Chicago. The corruption of that town is pulling the state into the toilet and it’s sad to see.

SKYFOX on October 23, 2008 at 5:45 AM

One of Obama’s former colleagues at the Univ. of Chicago law school tells a story about meeting Obama when Obama was a lecturer in Constitutional law there. The colleague is an expert on the Second Amendment. When he met Obama for the first time, Obama said to him: “Oh, you’re the gun guy. I don’t believe people should be allowed to own guns.”

That is, and always has been, Obama’s real position on the Second Amendment, despite all the lies he tells on the campaign trail and in his commercials.

AZCoyote on October 23, 2008 at 6:40 AM

To channel King Leonidas “Come and get them!”

Black Adam on October 23, 2008 at 1:51 AM

Bullets first!

grapeknutz on October 23, 2008 at 6:46 AM

Thank you, NRA. I’m going there now to upgrade my membership.

Under Obama-Reid-Pelosi, NRA would be tagged a criminal organization.

petefrt on October 23, 2008 at 8:27 AM

I’m an Obama opposer and can’t stand the schmuck, but the ad is misleading in one regard.

Went to the NRA web site to see what his four anti-gun votes were; only three were listed. Went to the Illinois legislative web site to see what those votes were on.

Two of those were spot-on criticisms: he voted for a state “assault weapon” ban, and he voted against a law that immunized firearms prosecution in connection with acts of self-defense.

HOWEVER, later on in that bill’s history, Obama cast another “No” vote, on an amendment to the bill from the House, which narrowed its exemption from prosecution to apply only “when on his or her land or in his or her abode or fixed place of business”.

The amendment passed, but Obama voted against it. He didn’t vote on the veto override, not even “present.” Musta been busy that day.

Criticize him, call him out on those other two votes by all means, and for god’s sake keep him out of the white house, but our criticisms need to be on solid ground for our own integrity and credibility. The NRA shouldn’t have to exaggerate: the two votes I found are enough to fairly brand him anti-gun.

Alex_SF on October 23, 2008 at 10:24 AM

From my cold dead hands.

God bless the constitution.

Ernest on October 23, 2008 at 11:27 AM

pukara61 on October 23, 2008 at 11:41 AM

They need to run this in Nevada. I listen to talk radio and every other commercial is an Obama one. The most played is some “lifelong Republican” who is voting for Obama because he is sure that THE ONE believes in the individual’s right to own guns.

A couple of years ago a guy came to my door pounding on it and demanding to be let in. I tried to make him just go away, but when he wouldn’t, I called 911. My daughter was freaking out, my dogs were barking furiously and this guy was pounding on the door. When I wouldn’t open the door, he began pounding on the windows at the front of the house. He ended up breaking a plate glass window. I told the 911 operator that I had a gun and if he came in I was prepared to use it. The police showed up soon after and arrested him.
Unbelievably they asked if I wanted to press charges. Of course I did. Turned out he was staying with a neighbor two doors down, was stinking drunk and was at the wrong house.

That was two years ago, I don’t know what happened, never was called regarding a trial or court appearance and have never seen the restitution I requested for the cost of replacing the window.

Having that gun helped me to stay calm. I knew that if it came to it, I would shoot to defend myself and my daughter. Thankfully it didn’t come to that. And the police told my husband, I would have been justified shooting him after he broke the window whether he came in or not.

The liberals would have had me waiting at the mercy of the police who generally arrive too late to stop a crime. If I hadn’t told 911 that I had a gun I was prepared to use, would they have come as quickly?

Jvette on October 23, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Mark Jaquith on October 23, 2008 at 2:36 AM

It’s the same for Tennessee. I lived in another state for several years, a state with gun laws just like Tenn. and Fla. The only record is the Federal form left at the retailer.

Pelayo on October 23, 2008 at 4:50 PM