Quote of the day

posted at 10:20 pm on October 21, 2008 by Allahpundit

“If it wasn’t for Sarah Palin, I’d move to f***in’ Sweden…

John McCain, God bless you for discovering a Republican with massive amounts of balls. The good governor, Sarah Palin, is the bureaucrat-crushing, status quo-punching conservative that I’ve been looking for. I knew of her before John did, I had worked with Gov. Palin on numerous issues up in Alaska, where she proved she was a ‘we the people’ person and not a bureaucrat monger. We are voting Republican this year, not because of John McCain as much as for Sarah Palin.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I always enjoy me a good Ted thread. It still surprises me how much he is more like the people I know and see everyday then any other person of his stature. ahh….that barely makes sense. Great Gonzos!

kahall on October 22, 2008 at 12:44 AM

hawkdriver on October 22, 2008 at 12:42 AM

The most awful, suck-shit story I ever heard. I listened to it and wondered if I ever had a right to complain about anything for the rest of my life.

ManlyRash on October 22, 2008 at 12:44 AM

ManlyRash on October 22, 2008 at 12:42 AM

heh, Ralphie,

Describing….Manly?

hawkdriver on October 22, 2008 at 12:46 AM

ManlyRash on October 22, 2008 at 12:44 AM

hawkdriver on October 22, 2008 at 12:48 AM

Uncle Teddy unleashed. He’s in the big tent you know.

Mojave Mark on October 22, 2008 at 12:49 AM

“In the heat of battle my father wove a tapestry of obscenities that as far as we know is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan.”

Great lines from that movie. Night all and Chins up. We’re going to win!!!

hawkdriver on October 22, 2008 at 12:50 AM

“I have since heard of people under extreme duress speaking in strange tongues. I became conscious that a steady torrent of obscenities and swearing of all kinds was pouring out of me as I screamed.”…Describing….Manly?

hawkdriver on October 22, 2008 at 12:46 AM

LMAO. Oh yes. Manly to a T. The Problem Child of Hot Air.

ManlyRash on October 22, 2008 at 12:50 AM

God, when you try to imagine all the lives back then lost and how different the world was because this one or that one died. What wasn’t invented. What doctor was lost and cure never discovered. – hawkdriver on October 22, 2008 at 12:48 AM

One could lose his mind, Hawk. Sweet Jesus…I know I have.

ManlyRash on October 22, 2008 at 12:52 AM

Good night sweetheart,
Till we meet tomorrow,
Good night sweetheart,
Sleep will banish sorrow.
Tears and parting
May make us forlorn,
But with the dawn
A new day is born,
So I’ll say
Good night, sweetheart…good night.

ManlyRash on October 22, 2008 at 12:53 AM

Good night, crazy man, whoever your sweetheart, or your broken heart…You’re a diabolito.

Entelechy on October 22, 2008 at 1:01 AM

Hot Damn. Something fun to read. Thanks for the link, AP. Nugent is a legend.

Spirit of 1776 on October 21, 2008 at 10:34 PM

He’s is a legend alright.

Ted’s excrement adventures.

“Nugent dodged the draft during the Vietnam War. In an interview for the Detroit Free Press (July 15, 1990), Nugent described how he avoided the draft: He claims that 30 days before his Draft Board Physical, he stopped all forms of personal hygiene. The last ten days he ingested nothing but junk food and Pepsi, and a week before his physical he stopped using the bathroom altogether, virtually living inside pants caked with excrement and stained by his urine.”

The extreme coward POS Ted Nugent apparently literally $hit in his pants, and for a week, to keep from going to RVN!

He makes Bill Clinton look like Rambo and a class act by comparison, and that ain’t easy. Not easy at all.

When Nugent showed up at the induction center like that, they should have taken him out in the back alley, stuffed him in a barrel, and burned $hit.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 1:11 AM

God Bless America and God Bless Ted Nugent!

Ordinary1 on October 21, 2008 at 10:50 PM

That would take a God with infinite cognitive dissonance.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 1:17 AM

Straight talker talks about a straight talker.

peski on October 22, 2008 at 1:19 AM

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 1:11 AM

Yeah, I get that. That doesn’t make him wrong now. If people can’t forgive, I get that too. But that doesn’t make his insight wrong. It just means he blinked when he didn’t have courage to throw down.

Spirit of 1776 on October 22, 2008 at 1:21 AM

I feel sorry for any creature unfortunate enough to wander within rifle range of the nugent ranch …
:-)
:-)

Buckaroo on October 21, 2008 at 10:56 PM

Unless they are also armed. Never bring a rifle to a howitzer duel.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 1:21 AM

God Bless America and God Bless Ted Nugent!

Ordinary1 on October 21, 2008 at 10:50 PM

That would take a God with infinite cognitive dissonance.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 1:17 AM

Actually, that’s a blessing I can actually get on board with. Most blessings are such bullshit… when you bless someone who isn’t your namby pamby neighbor, but who has made a strong and righteous statement (righteous in its “right-ness”), cool.

peski on October 22, 2008 at 1:22 AM

Palin/Nugent 2012

If Ted ran NYC, I’d move there in a heartbeat within walking distance of St. Patricks. I’ll bet the streets would be f’in safe in Ted’s city.

Sapwolf on October 22, 2008 at 1:24 AM

Spirit of 1776 on October 22, 2008 at 1:21 AM

It means that he is a coward who can’t face the possibility of shooting at anything that might shoot back. He makes Bill Clinton look brave, exceedingly brave, and he downright makes John Kerry look like Audie Murphy, but then he makes anyone else look brave. He has got some of you fooled much better than Obama could ever fool you or pretty much anyone. He is a coward personified. If you wonder how Obama can fool so many people he is your answer.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 1:27 AM

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 1:17 AM

I graduated high school in ’76. It was a different world and I was a Democrat. 13 years later I joined the Army infantry in the National Guard. I figured it was the least I could do after being snookered by libs in the 70′s. Many of us were wrong then but we figured it out later. Would you have preferred he remained a lib?

Mojave Mark on October 22, 2008 at 1:28 AM

I would vote for Al Franken before I would vote for Ted Nugent.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 1:29 AM

I feel sorry for the rabbits near the Nugent ranch.

wise_man on October 21, 2008 at 10:25 PM

I don’t. They are all in the Owsla of El-ahrairah.

Sapwolf on October 22, 2008 at 1:29 AM

Would you have preferred he remained a lib?

Mojave Mark on October 22, 2008 at 1:28 AM

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 1:29 AM

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 1:27 AM

1 – How am I fooled? I just agree with him on various views. I do that with lots of people. 2- Who he was a young man and who is now aren’t necessarily the same. People grow out of their childhood errors. I sure hope people don’t judge me by my early years.

Spirit of 1776 on October 22, 2008 at 1:31 AM

You Nugent worshipers are crazier than Obama’s supporters. Not even close.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 1:33 AM

Spirit of 1776 on October 22, 2008 at 1:31 AM

He wasn’t that young and he didn’t make an error as what he did was done with great deliberation not to mention great (as in overpowering) smell. Somehow to me his shooting vast numbers of defenseless animals and shooting his big flap off is not any kind of repentance.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 1:38 AM

I figured it was the least I could do after being snookered by libs in the 70’s. Many of us were wrong then but we figured it out later. Would you have preferred he remained a lib?

Mojave Mark on October 22, 2008 at 1:28 AM

I knew plenty of liberals when I was in the Army, so that dog don’t hunt.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 1:40 AM

Yeah, well to each their own. I don’t excuse his past, but I don’t see it effects either hunting or his opinion.

I like hunters, especially ones who advocate for future generations. And I’m glad he’s outspoken. We need more people of that nature.

Spirit of 1776 on October 22, 2008 at 1:43 AM

You Nugent worshipers are crazier than Obama’s supporters. Not even close.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 1:33 AM

How is agreeing with his views “worshipping” him?

The only nut I see here is you going batshit over the fact that people aren’t screaming “VIIIIETNAM COOOOWWWWWARD!!!!!”

Bill Clinton spent his administration castrating the military. Nugent shows respect to them. Tell me who is brave.

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 1:44 AM

Oh, and how is Kerry brave when he came back to the States and sold out his goddamned brothers in arms?

To say that Winter Soldier is more forgivable than some guy crapping his pants to avoid the draft is mind-boggling.

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 1:46 AM

We need more people of that nature.

Spirit of 1776 on October 22, 2008 at 1:43 AM

Anyone can shoot at something that can’t shoot back. That takes nothing whatsoever. If others were like him America would be defenseless. We would all be speaking German, Japaneses, Russian, Chinese or be lamp shades.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 1:48 AM

Anyone can shoot at something that can’t shoot back.

I’m good with hunters. Barking up the wrong tree with me.

Spirit of 1776 on October 22, 2008 at 1:49 AM

I would vote for Al Franken before I would vote for Ted Nugent.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 1:29 AM

Holy christ. Holy jumping christ. You’d vote for a candidate you know will screw you over a candidate that you know would represent you?

This presidential election really has driven some people insane.

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 1:49 AM

Anyone can shoot at something that can’t shoot back.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 1:48 AM

If a food crisis occurs, I hope you have the same attitude.

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 1:50 AM

I didn’t say that Kerry was brave. I said that he was brave in comparison to Nuget and that is logically indisputable.

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 1:46 AM

I did not even mention “Winter Soldier”. Don’t make things up.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 1:51 AM

If a food crisis occurs, I hope you have the same attitude.

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 1:50 AM

If America, aka Obesity Nation, ever has a food crisis, and Global Warming is probably more likely, I won’t be looking to Ted Nugent to feed me. You are really getting loopy now.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 1:54 AM

He makes Bill Clinton look brave, exceedingly brave, and he downright makes John Kerry look like Audie Murphy…

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 1:27 AM

Therefore, you see a man who went and accused his brothers in arms of war crimes in order to gain political credit as “more brave” than a man who craps his pants to avoid the draft.

Tell me, which do you think did more damage to the troops, due to the decision they consciously made? And as long as you’re ripping on hunting, I’ll point out that your remark about speaking German is pointless because the Viet Cong never showed any intention of invading the United States, particularly now that it has come out that Tonkin Gulf was a lie.

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 1:55 AM

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 1:54 AM

Hey, you’re the one who derided shooting something “that can’t shoot back”. I suppose you cry over the wolves Palin had killed as well.

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 1:56 AM

Nuts. I can’t stand the tatling and the banning.
Entelechy on October 21, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Ditto. As the subject of banning requests by several people who didn’t like what I have said about McCain, but were unable to prove me wrong, they tried to get me banned. One person emailed AP at least four times in one day, and when that didn’t work, started emailing Michelle. I haven’t seen that person around for months…. I don’t know why, but I would say demand banning not, lest ye shall be banned.

Now, I don’t like it when we use profanity, especially the more egregious stuff, because I think that youngsters might benefit by reading a lot of what we have to say.

But given the whole dang situation that we and the Nation we love (Most of us, anyway) is/are facing, I can understand why normally polite people would be pushed to use that sort of language.

But I WOULD urge everyone (myself included)to TRY to restrain ourselves from at least the gratuitous use of the worst profanities.

LegendHasIt on October 22, 2008 at 2:00 AM

Braver. Absolutely.

Now you are trying to change the subject again. I guess I can’t blame you.

And as long as you’re ripping on hunting

You need to read better and stop reading in things.

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 1:55 AM

I never said that the Viet Cong ever had any intention of invading the U.S. I wrote clearly so I don’t really see how you are getting all this other stuff.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 2:02 AM

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 1:56 AM

You are getting $hit faced hysterical.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 2:05 AM

Now you are trying to change the subject again. I guess I can’t blame you.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 2:02 AM

You’re dodging your implication. How is a man who, it could be easily argued, did far more to damage and imperil soldiers by bringing accusations of war crimes as soon as he was off the battlefield, more brave than a man who simply dodged the draft? How does actually going excuse all the things Kerry did in his subsequent years to screw soldiers over, and yet Nugent’s one act makes him more of a coward and negates all of his pro-military words and actions today?

In one article that guy showed more backbone than John “three purple hearts vote for me” Kerry.

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 2:07 AM

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 1:11 AM

You are getting $hit faced hysterical.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 2:05 AM

Heh. I think you need a vacation.

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 2:08 AM

Correction, sir: I have never served in the United States Navy. Just as well, as our armed forces need men…not d!ckheads. But your sentiment is appreciated.

God bless our men in uniform!

ManlyRash on October 22, 2008 at 12:26 AM

Actually, Manly, that part of my post was for the person you were exchanging dialog with earlier – the first section was for you. And…I’m a girl. You probably won’t even see this, but I’ll just state again how impressed I was with the way you apologized. I get in a lot of conflicts with people online (I have made some real enemies in my day), because I’m very opinionated, and I am going to take what you did as a lesson for myself.

capitalist piglet on October 22, 2008 at 2:08 AM

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 1:27 AM

People learn a lot and change a lot in 40+ years. Most of us are not even the same person after ten years have passed. I think I will give Nugent the benefit of the doubt and accept his explanation that he was young and stupid. That is because I understand that people can make mistakes in their lives and it doesn’t necessarily make them horrible people. I think that most of us have done things we regret.

Hawthorne on October 22, 2008 at 2:11 AM

And just for a note, the story is being recalled from High Times magazine.

Nugent dismissed the veracity of these statements, saying “You’ve got to realize that these interviewers would arrive with glazed eyes and I would make stories up.” He explained that he did not go to Vietnam because he had a 1 year student deferment. When questioned, he admitted that he had “not wanted to get his ass blown off in Vietnam,” but made note of a tour he made with the USO in 2004 to Fallujah and Afghanistan as support of his assertion that “I am not a coward.” He also said that “Because I failed to serve in Vietnam, I feel an obligation now, to do everything I can to support those defending our freedom. Do I feel guilt and embarrassment? Yes.”

Oh yeah, Kerry is a hero compared to this guy.

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 2:13 AM

You’re dodging your implication.

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 2:07 AM

Don’t tell me what I am implying. I am not even going to read the rest of your comment, nor anymore of your comments on this Ted Excrement Nugent matter as you just keep making things up and have gotten hysterical. I don’t think that Chris Matthews would defend Obama as much as you are trying to defend Ted Excrement Nugent, nor get as hysterical, nor go off on as many made up tangents in trying to do so.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 2:14 AM

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 2:14 AM

You suggested the guy be burned alive, and I’m the hysterical one.

You suggested that you would vote for Al Franken over a guy who is one of the most conservative celebrities alive, and I’m the hysterical one.

Uh huh.

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 2:16 AM

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 2:13 AM

I think that is called scrapping the bottom of the barrel for your defending him. Making up for his cowardliness and selfishness and excrement by what? .000001% What is he your brother? Dad? Perhaps you should go back to just deriving “implications” and making things up. You are putting Chris Matthews #$%^ %$#$%(* Obama to shame.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 2:23 AM

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 2:23 AM

You’re absolutely right. I’m absolutely hysterical and ranting. I should learn to be calm and collected like you. Oh, and good job ignoring this first part:

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 2:26 AM

You suggested the guy be burned alive, and I’m the hysterical one.

I was speaking metaphorically. Are you dense or drunk?

Uh huh.

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 2:16 AM

If you celebrate that poser then I feel sorry for you.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 2:26 AM

I was speaking metaphorically.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 2:26 AM

Ah, I see. It was satire. Nuance.

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 2:27 AM

Ted was telling a story about the draft.

He’s an entertainer by trade and if you have ever seen him perform, you know everything he does is over the top.

People go to his concerts because of his reputation. He was just improving on it when he spun his campfire tale for the newspaper.

You guys are really easy. Too easy sometimes.

platypus on October 22, 2008 at 2:27 AM

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 2:26 AM

That is what the cowardly selfish POS claims now. Use your head man – how would a one year 2S keep someone out of the military during RVN? It wouldn’t. Your thinking has become highly uncoordinated as well as hysterical. What do you have some kind of school girl level crush on the “man”? You are putting Chris Matthews to shame.

Shame on you!

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 2:31 AM

Full article here:

He has the rage, but he doesn’t have the war record. At 18, he was called up to serve in Vietnam. “In 1977 you gave an interview to High Times [the cannabis user's journal of record] where you claimed you defecated in your clothes to avoid the draft.”

(“I got 30 days’ notice of the physical,” Nugent told them. “I ceased cleansing my body. Two weeks before the test I stopped eating food with nutritional value. A week before, I stopped going to the bathroom. I did it in my pants. My pants got crusted up.”)

“I never *** my pants to get out of the draft,” says Nugent, good-naturedly.

“You also told them you took crystal meth [methamphetamine, the highly destabilising drug sometimes described as poor man's crack] before the medical – as a result of which, and I quote: ‘I got this big juicy 4F.’”

“Unbelievable. Meth,” he replies, in a tone of deep sarcasm. “Yes, that’s my drug of choice. You’ve got to realise that these interviewers would arrive with glazed eyes and I would make stories up. I never did crystal meth. And I never pooped my pants.”

“But you did dodge the draft.” “I had a 1Y [student deferment]. I enrolled at Oakland Community College.”

Don’t bother reading it, MB4. I’m sure that interviewer was getting hysterical and making things up. High Times magazine is far more reliable.

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 2:32 AM

Ah, I see. It was satire. Nuance.

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 2:27 AM

It was not satire and it was not nuance. As I said I was speaking metaphorically. Get out a dictionary.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 2:36 AM

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 2:32 AM

Well, you’re not too easy. :)

platypus on October 22, 2008 at 2:37 AM

Well, you’re not too easy. :)

platypus on October 22, 2008 at 2:37 AM

Nah, I’m just hysterical and making things up. And apparently I’m Chris Matthews. Who knew?

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 2:39 AM

Not Sissy Chrissy – your leg didn’t tingle.

Thanks for playing should we or should we not follow the lead of the galactically stupid.

platypus on October 22, 2008 at 2:42 AM

Thanks for playing should we or should we not follow the leadadvice of the galactically stupid.

platypus on October 22, 2008 at 2:42 AM

Great movie, liberal message aside.

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 2:44 AM

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 2:32 AM

Don’t bother trying to compete with Chris Matthews, MadisonConservative, in trying to defend his Messiah as you have already got him beat trying to defend yours, hands down. What I quoted was from the Detroit Free Press’s interview with the object of your affections. Good God you sure seem to have got a crush on him. He is a poser, a phony, a bag of hot air for immature children. Wake up.

Well you have accomplished one thing anyway, as I can understand how some could worship Obama now.

Now, I will go to bed and dream of Sarah and you can go to bed and dream of Ted. Pleasant dreams.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 2:47 AM

I knew the original word but MB4 wasn’t giving us advice as much as he was leading us into his world.

In any case, nice dust-up. We’ll clean the place in the morning. Night-night, y’all.

platypus on October 22, 2008 at 2:48 AM

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 2:36 AM

I just want to point out that your version of this story is not exactly credible either. Are we to take High Times as a pillar of journalistic integrity? Heck, they probably are about as factual as the Weekly World News, unless they are reporting on exotic drugs.

Hawthorne on October 22, 2008 at 2:50 AM

platypus on October 22, 2008 at 2:42 AM

If you are planning on going on any galactic trips and think that there might be any danger and plan on bringing Ted along, be sure to change his pants at least every two weeks.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 2:51 AM

Hawthorne on October 22, 2008 at 2:50 AM

It is not my version. It is from the Detroit Free Press (July 15, 1990), Nugent interview.

Any of you who want him as anyone to admire, well I feel sorry for you and America.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 2:54 AM

platypus on October 22, 2008 at 2:48 AM

“My world” is a world where one does not close the eyes of his mind and keep them shut by force. It is also a world where one does not have childish hero worship for a poser.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 2:57 AM

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 2:47 AM

So Ted Nugent is my “messiah”, the “object of my affections”, I have a “crush” on him, and I “worship” him, according to you…

…because I don’t consider him a “coward” and a “POS” that is not as brave as Bill Clinton or John Kerry or a better candidate for office than Al Franken.

Uh huh. Just wanted to make that clear.

Oh, and no, that was from High Times. It’s confirmed by the interviewer in the article, written by the hysterical guy making things up, which I posted earlier. Except you seem less inclined to believe that than a magazine devoted to an illegal substance. Maybe the Detroit Free Press reprinted it.

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 3:06 AM

Am I the only one who’s sick and tired of the hypocritical ventings and lecturings of Ted Nugent? Am I the only one who sees through this rocker-with-no-clothing? Are conservatives so desperate for a D-list celebrity that they will overlook all to embrace Ted Nugent? Apparently so.

The sorry excuse for a man is a cowardly classless POS who is beneath contempt and anyone who supports him is far more gone and far more infantile than anyone who supports Obama. Not even close.

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 4:37 AM

Uhmmm….this thread sure turned awkward….

MB4:
Hyperbolize often? Or is it only when Ted Nugent is involved?

Weird…

anuts on October 22, 2008 at 5:31 AM

Someone please lodge a bullet in MB4′s teeth. He’s gone over to the dark side of stupidity.

Ted Nugent is more of a man than the wimp-child MB4.

MB4 is a goose-stepping, mother-humping, Nazi-saluting, open-sore of an asspimple, deserving of being popped a few times.

Sakaki on October 22, 2008 at 6:12 AM

while it breaks my tiny little conservative heart a bit… I have to disagree with ManlyRash. I have a heterosexual man-crush on Ted……

twoarmman on October 22, 2008 at 6:28 AM

And against Osamambama.

davidk on October 22, 2008 at 6:53 AM

Ted, if we need your help, we’ll ask. In the meantime, go hunting, play guitar and shut the fuck up.

As much as I agree with the premise of this since I believe celebs need to stay out of politics… keep it classy since Nug is about a million times better than 90% of the celebs out there since he actually has a brain.

scrubbiedude on October 22, 2008 at 6:55 AM

I understand people with strong feeling about TN not serving. Just apply it to everyone then. For example, Mohammed Ali.

hawkdriver on October 22, 2008 at 7:17 AM

God bless you sir and I beg pardon if I’ve caused you offense.

You served our nation. I’m a snarky asshole.

No contest.

ManlyRash on October 21, 2008 at 11:59 PM

ManlyRash: One minute you want to strangle him, the next give him a big bear hug. For certain never a dull moment when he’s in the room.

Must be the rash that causes those mood swings. :-)

You da man, Manly

Rod on October 22, 2008 at 8:28 AM

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 4:37 AM

Hysterical.

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 8:51 AM

MB4.

I can’t speak for Ted but I can say, from personal experience, that not all who avoided the draft we’re cowards.

I was a pot-head hippie with hair down to my ass when I was drafted at 19. I had friends that had already fled to Victoria. They didn’t leave because they were cowards. They gave up their citizenship believing they could never come back because they hated the war and our leaders.

With an offer to join them, I hitchhiked up to the border then took a bus across into Canada where I spent a week with those who had gone before me.

I did not want to go to war. But I didn’t want to give up my citizenship. The thought of never being able to go home again was more frightening than heading off to Nam. So I left them and caught the bus back to LA.

To my now ex-friends in Canada I was the coward, a man unable to stand-up for his beliefs.

I felt that way. And with the nation the way is was back then, hating the war and its soldiers … there was not much reason not too. Soldiers then were not viewed as brave heroes.

Rod on October 22, 2008 at 9:15 AM

MB4 on October 22, 2008 at 4:37 AM

…well, I like him…bring it on.

Being both a blowhard and an asshat must take up a lot of your time, leaving you little to pull your brain housing group out of your sphincter (and we listen for the loud, baby-pacifier *POP*), but why don’t you check out one of his books…one of his shows…and see what he says about himself and about the world.

He didn’t serve? So what. I came up about the same time he did, and I served…and I was rare among my peers…most of ‘em had better things to do….

…and I joined up because I had few other prospects at the time, while he already was making a tidy living playing music. You go with what God gave you.

…and who the dickens is “Debbie Schlussel” when she’s at home? What has she ever done? Does her life measure up to the scrutiny she would subject Mr. Nugent’s to? Who even cares?

For my part, I like Uncle Ted. Met him once, shook his hand, at a book signing at a local San Antonio bookstore. More than Ted, the real privilege was meeting and shaking hands with his lovely — and I do mean devastatingly lovely — wife. It was a book-signing line, I know…but it was still nice.

I like what he has to say, and don’t worry over any real or imagined shortfalls or sins on his ledger…as I have enough on my own to deal with without taking anyone else’s on board. He usually says what I’ve been thinking…before I say it…although my sentences are usually less alliterative and simpler, spaced out with “…”‘s, and more accessible to the common voter. But, then, he’s sold more books….

Don’t like Uncle Ted? Sit on your hands and stew….

…you see, old hoss…he’s a better man than you appear to be…I know this because he’s a better man than I am, and I’m almost certainly a better man than you.

…there…settled….

Puritan1648 on October 22, 2008 at 9:19 AM

Rod on October 22, 2008

That wasn’t true everywhere, Rod. I served from 72 through 75 but wasn’t sent to VN. I did battle with rogue jagerschnitzels and beer in Darmstadt, FRG…and usually lost. But I wore my uniform proudly in the US and Europe during that time and did not see the level of hatred for military personnel. I know it happened, but not everywhere. I just don’t want folks to think the whole world hated us even if their support for the war collapsed. Just the stupid parts of the world, like France.

SKYFOX on October 22, 2008 at 9:35 AM

…and Oakland.

SKYFOX on October 22, 2008 at 9:56 AM

Ted Nugent, in his world sees right and wrong as black and white issues, not as shades of gray and its our tolerance of those gray shades that has brought us to the liberal bastardization of the Republic we’ve had passed down to us for safe keeping.

Were it not for gray areas of right and wrong and the loss of individual morality organizations like the ACLU couldn’t exist.

Speakup on October 22, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Spirit of 1776 on October 22, 2008 at 1:21 AM
Mojave Mark on October 22, 2008 at 1:28 AM
MadisonConservative on October 22, 2008 at 1:44 AM

Why do you guys bother engaging this guy? He seems like a troll to me. Being a vet (or posing as one) doesn’t mean you’re not drinking the kool-aid.

Y-not on October 22, 2008 at 11:27 AM

People, if they’ve got a six pack and some sports event on the TV, you could probably rape their wife in the next room, and they’ll get at it soon. It’s not pretty.

Yep. That about sums it up.

spmat on October 22, 2008 at 11:57 AM

…and Oakland.

SKYFOX on October 22, 2008 at 9:56 AM

And LA. ;-)

Rod on October 22, 2008 at 12:29 PM

McCain will win on Nov 4. I’ll stake my life on it.

ManlyRash on October 22, 2008 at 12:09 AM

Now, now, Rash. We’d hate to see you go all fungicidal on us. You’ll survive Barry just like the rest of us will have to.

trailboss on October 22, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Y-not on October 22, 2008 at 11:27 AM

They’ve both been commenting on the site for a long time.

TheUnrepentantGeek on October 22, 2008 at 12:49 PM

I saw him in an interview with Glenn Beck about a month ago(or more) and he hinted at running for governor of Texas. I sure hope he makes the right decision.
And to Ed and Allah, what ever happened to the profanity filter?
I wouldn’t let my kids read Ace because of all the potty mouth, please don’t make me keep them off here too.

Corsair on October 22, 2008 at 2:04 PM