Obama to Tanning Bed Media: You must tithe before worshipping me

posted at 4:40 pm on October 21, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

After everything the Tanning Bed Media has done for Barack Obama, they must believe that they’re owed at least some free access to The One on Election Night.  Instead, the TBM has discovered that they’re SOL unless they cough up some Dough-Re-Mi:

The best-funded political campaign in American history says news organizations will have to pay—in some cases almost $2,000 each—if they want to cover Barack Obama’s election-night celebration in Chicago.

Well, that’s only fair.  If Obama winds up getting elected because of the cheerleading of the national media –who vetted a plumber more harshly than a major-party candidate for President — they should start paying before the rest of us pony up.

A memo sent to news organizations on Tuesday by the Obama campaign says credentials will cost $715 to $1,815, depending on whether electrical and phone lines are needed and whether an indoor or outdoor seat is requested for the event, which is expected to be held outside the evening of Nov. 4 in Grant Park.

A little advice for my colleagues in the Tanning Bed Media: think of it as spreading the wealth.  Yes, I know it will go to Obama and his team, but that’s where the rest of the wealth will go, too, if Obama wins.

The only free admissions are for a “general media” area. But, the memo says, “Please note that the general media area is outdoors, unassigned and may have obstructed views . . . standing room only.”

The area also does not include access to top Obama campaign officials, whose statements likely are to be in hot demand on Election Night. They apparently will be available only in the “press file” tent, to which an additional admission fee of $935 per person is being imposed.

Sounds a lot like how government will treat its citizens in the Age of Obama.  If you want access to officials, be prepared to pay, just like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac did with Obama, Chris Dodd, and Barney Frank.  Otherwise, get used to “obstructions” for the next four years.

Obama aides declined to answer questions about why a campaign that raised $150 million in the month of September is demanding such payments. But the memo already is drawing some protest.

Not only did they decline to answer questions, but right now they’re busy investigating anyone who still had the testicular fortitude to ask them after what happened to Joe the Plumber.  Expect to see information about tax liens, divorce records, and licensing appear in the papers by Thursday.

Don’t expect too much sympathy from us for the Tanning Bed Media.  The only reason why Obama’s in a position to demand tithes from the worshipping media is because journalists and editors didn’t do their jobs in the first place.

Update: I’ve explained Tanning Bed Media, but I don’t mind explaining it again.  When Sarah Palin got picked by John McCain for his running mate, the national media sent dozens of reporters to Wasilla and Juneau to dig up dirt on her — and only came away with the second-hand tanning bed she bought with her own money and put in the governor’s mansion.  The national media never bothered to put forth anywhere near that kind of effort to investigate Barack Obama or his connections to the New Party, Tony Rezko, the Daley Machine, the Strogers, William Ayers, or ACORN, and they had two years to do it.

Here’s a little clip that should get the Tanning Bed Media used to a prospective Obama administration. Coincidentally, this took place in a newsroom!

Comments

What happens if one of the candidates demands a recount?

Speakup on October 21, 2008 at 5:35 PM

What happens if one of the candidates demands a recount?

Speakup on October 21, 2008 at 5:35 PM

Fort Sumter

Limerick on October 21, 2008 at 5:36 PM

broker1 on October 21, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Interesting, how about we check on Pelosi and her “airliner” and see if she met up to her agreement concerning family on that plane?!

upinak on October 21, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Manly.. oh Manly? Where did you go?

upinak on October 21, 2008 at 5:39 PM

I am a Marin County Conservative.

surfer girl on October 21, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Having lived in Sausalito, Mill Valley and SF for thirty years you are the equivalent of a white elephant. Even the EPA said your species expired more than thirty years ago.

Are you able to go outside? Have you let your parents know?
I know a cave on Mt. Tam if it gets rough….

patrick neid on October 21, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Manly.. oh Manly? Where did you go? – upinak on October 21, 2008 at 5:39 PM

You have mail.

ManlyRash on October 21, 2008 at 5:42 PM

It is the start of a whole new party, the Wine and Cheese Party!

Limerick on October 21, 2008 at 5:33 PM

More like WHINE and Cheese Party. ;-)

aero on October 21, 2008 at 5:43 PM

The buyer’s remorse on this guy is gonna be huge once the squishy middle figures out they done been had.

Bruno Strozek on October 21, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Fort Sumter – Limerick on October 21, 2008 at 5:36 PM

Like a punch to the gut. Nicely done, Limey. I like you more and more each day.

ManlyRash on October 21, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Capitalism at work. Better hide your money in the Caymans. – HornetSting on October 21, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Tell you what…if it gets published, I will personally see to it that your work gets published too. We take care of our own here at HotAir.

ManlyRash on October 21, 2008 at 5:46 PM

You had mentioned great photos for the aforementioned book and there is a amateur photographer there who takes great pics with you email handle. – patrick neid on October 21, 2008 at 5:21 PM

I chose Angelo Domini because it means “angel of God” – which I am not. I’m what Heaven calls “the problem child.”

ManlyRash on October 21, 2008 at 5:48 PM

ManlyRash on October 21, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Heh……I’ll be serious for a moment (catch it while you can). I’m a law-n-order have no denomination Christian gun owing open open ear kinda Republican. The difference between me and the true RINOs is that there is no line in the sand, it was carved in stone. We don’t have to worry about starting the fight. The fools on the other side of the line will make the first move. God help them.

Limerick on October 21, 2008 at 5:48 PM

HornetSting

Rashy has skills I tell ya!

upinak on October 21, 2008 at 5:48 PM

Are you able to go outside? Have you let your parents know?
I know a cave on Mt. Tam if it gets rough….

patrick neid on October 21, 2008 at 5:40 PM

I swim and surf the Red Triangle. I can handle the libs. Most of my friends are liberal. They all wish they were me.

Believe-BO can not and will not win.

surfer girl on October 21, 2008 at 5:48 PM

If you have to explain a phrase, it isn’t sufficiently connotative. Just sayin…

spmat on October 21, 2008 at 5:54 PM

I just want a picture of Obama’s face when he figures out that he lost. Ditto for Michelle O.

That is if they lose.

— Greg

CrazyFool on October 21, 2008 at 5:57 PM

God help them. – Limerick on October 21, 2008 at 5:48 PM

Indeed, Limey. Indeed. Lock and load, my friend.

ManlyRash on October 21, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Rashy has skills I tell ya! – upinak on October 21, 2008 at 5:48 PM

Meh…I’m lucky I can tie my own farking shoe laces. That’s why I wear penny loafers.

ManlyRash on October 21, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Didn’t Billy Jeff wait until after his Presidency to start cashing in on the Presidential Gravy Train?

eeyore on October 21, 2008 at 6:02 PM

HornetSting

Rashy has skills I tell ya!

upinak on October 21, 2008 at 5:48 PM

Don’t I know it.

sorry, was looking for a holloween costume.

HornetSting on October 21, 2008 at 6:03 PM

sorry, was looking for a holloween costume.

HornetSting on October 21, 2008 at 6:03 PM

In the interest of self preservation don’t buy a blue one.

Limerick on October 21, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Republican challenge to all my Republican friends…

My McCain/Palin signs are staying up in the yard for Halloween.

Any takers?

Limerick on October 21, 2008 at 6:08 PM

sorry, was looking for a holloween costume. – HornetSting on October 21, 2008 at 6:03 PM

You’ve come to the right place! Kids of all ages, gather round and behold: The Manly Rash Halloween Costume.

Is it a man? Is it a rash? What the hell is it? Scare your friends…amuse your enemies…teach the neighbors the REAL meaning of trick or treat. Order your Manly Rash costume today and get a 10% discount off the already bargain basement price of $99.99*

*Costume includes a mask, full body condom, electrodes, medicated ointment, rubber boots and a 16 oz. bag of artificial phlegm. Batteries not included.

ManlyRash on October 21, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Obama will take the money and build himself a real Greek temple.

Buy Danish on October 21, 2008 at 6:12 PM

ManlyRash on October 21, 2008 at 6:09 PM

ROFLMAO! Where do you put the batteries?

HornetSting on October 21, 2008 at 6:12 PM

But wait…

If Obama is ordering his thugs to rough up Joe the Plumber and shake down the Free Press before the election, when he is supposed to be trying to make a good impression, trying to put his best foot forward…

imagine what he’s capable of once he gets in the WHite House.

Think hard about that.

jeff_from_mpls on October 21, 2008 at 6:13 PM

My McCain/Palin signs are staying up in the yard for Halloween.

Any takers?

Limerick on October 21, 2008 at 6:08 PM

I put a note on my signs that simply reads:

“Smile. You’re on camera.”

HornetSting on October 21, 2008 at 6:14 PM

ROFLMAO! Where do you put the batteries? – HornetSting on October 21, 2008 at 6:12 PM

I cannot answer until you tell me if you have had supper yet. ;-)

ManlyRash on October 21, 2008 at 6:14 PM

Think hard about that. – jeff_from_mpls on October 21, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Many, many American voters are doing just that, Jeff. Which is why Obama is toast on Nov 4.

ManlyRash on October 21, 2008 at 6:16 PM

who vetted a plumber more harshly than a major-party candidate for President

Best election 2008 line, regarding the news media whores.

Entelechy on October 21, 2008 at 6:16 PM

I want to pays the money. Then if Obama loses, I wants the moneys back. And the two years of my life I ain’t never getting back listening to people drool over this dude.

mjk on October 21, 2008 at 6:16 PM

And the two years of my life I ain’t never getting back listening to people drool over this dude cypher.

mjk on October 21, 2008 at 6:16 PM

fify, gratis

Entelechy on October 21, 2008 at 6:18 PM

Hornet Sting… you don’t REALLY wanna know where the batteries go, do you? Also, I would hate to go back to my combat days and persona… but to face RINO’s and liberal twots?…..I’d risk it!

MNDavenotPC on October 21, 2008 at 6:18 PM

I cannot answer until you tell me if you have had supper yet. ;-)

ManlyRash on October 21, 2008 at 6:14 PM

Uh….uh….same place Joe Biden’s head is right now?

HornetSting on October 21, 2008 at 6:18 PM

Barack Hussein Capone.

fogw on October 21, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Uh….uh….same place Joe Biden’s head is right now?

HornetSting on October 21, 2008 at 6:18 PM

Man Obama must have this huge hole!

upinak on October 21, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Man Obama must have this huge hole!

upinak on October 21, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Biden is limber. He is probably under the bus right now as we speak.

HornetSting on October 21, 2008 at 6:21 PM

The funniest thing w/b if all the party preparations were for naught.

Entelechy on October 21, 2008 at 6:23 PM

You can bet they’ll kneel — the MSM deserves to be subservient to this overrated politician (a tautology in most cases, I know).

Richard Romano on October 21, 2008 at 6:26 PM

Uh….uh….same place Joe Biden’s head is right now? – HornetSting on October 21, 2008 at 6:18 PM

Not unless his head is in his crotch. You see, the electrodes are attached to…my…um…nevermind.

[presses the ‘on’ switch]

auuuuuuuughhhh…yes, mommy…I’ll be a good boy, I promise

ManlyRash on October 21, 2008 at 6:26 PM

TRUER WORDS HAVE NEVER BEEN SPOKEN….just wait when they figure out the required goosestepping at least 5 paces behind the Messiah……..

SDarchitect on October 21, 2008 at 6:27 PM

The funniest thing w/b if all the party preparations were for naught. – Entelechy on October 21, 2008 at 6:23 PM

They are for naught. That is what will make this sooooooo farking delicious. We will be waist-deep in schadenfreude on the evening of November 4.

ManlyRash on October 21, 2008 at 6:27 PM

Obama will take the money and build himself a real Greek temple political mausoleum.

Fixed it, Danish

ManlyRash on October 21, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Bruno Strozek on October 21, 2008 at 5:43 PM

If the squishy middle is dumb enough to elect this, bite my tongue, person then they are to dumb to know they have been had. They’ll just listen to the MSM that says it’s all the fault of the Republicans.

jmarcure on October 21, 2008 at 6:34 PM

LOL

Midas on October 21, 2008 at 6:38 PM

They’ll just listen to the MSM that says it’s all the fault of the Republicans.
jmarcure on October 21, 2008 at 6:34 PM

They’ll just listen to the MSM that says it’s all the fault of the RRAACCIISSTTT Republicans.

LegendHasIt on October 21, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Just a reminder:

“It is this world, a world where cruise ships throw away more food in a day than most residents of Port-au-Prince see in a year, where white folks’ greed runs a world in need, apartheid in one hemisphere, apathy in another hemisphere … That’s the world! On which hope sits.”

Think of Grant Park as a microcosm of BarryWorld, with 2 hemispheres, haves and have nots.

Buy Danish on October 21, 2008 at 6:39 PM

I always find it funny when someone tries really hard to coin a phrase no one will ever pick up on. Just like Crackerquiddick before it, Tanning Bed Media is lame. What’s the story behind it even?

Typhonsentra on October 21, 2008 at 6:40 PM

more obama worship

ConservativePartyNow on October 21, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Obama 53 ROFLMAO!!! No freakin way. What’d he do? NOTHING!

johnnyU on October 21, 2008 at 6:44 PM

We will be waist-deep in schadenfreude on the evening of November 4.

ManlyRash on October 21, 2008 at 6:27 PM

Lovely

Schadenfreude on October 21, 2008 at 6:46 PM

What happens if one of the candidates demands a recount?

Speakup on October 21, 2008 at 5:35 PM
Fort Sumter

Limerick on October 21, 2008 at 5:36 PM

Limerick,
You are not far from the truth

ConservativePartyNow on October 21, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Buy Danish on October 21, 2008 at 6:39 PM

When Socialists/Marxists are done we all will be have nots.

Entelechy on October 21, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Somebody tell me if the Greek columns are going to be there?

CC – BHO: “my Muslim faith”

CapedConservative on October 21, 2008 at 6:51 PM

ConservativePartyNow on October 21, 2008 at 6:44 PM

How utterly sacrilegeous !!
OY !!

pambi on October 21, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Tanning Bed Media is lame. What’s the story behind it even?
Typhonsentra on October 21, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Don’t come here much, do ya? The formerly-titled Mainstream Media sent planesful of reporters to Wasilla and Juneau to dig up anything they could on Sarah Palin. They breathlessly reported she had a tanning bed in the Governors mansion! (bought used with her own money) – as a big find.

And yet, the same media seems totally uninterested in Obama’s Ayers, Rezko, ACORN, illegal foreign donations, etc. connections. Thus: TBM!

eeyore on October 21, 2008 at 7:07 PM

I have been forced to restrict my viewing of HotAir for the past 24 hours. My diseased nephews and niece I think gave me the creeping crud. Charming little creatures! I had to restrict my viewing because every single time I read you guys I launch into a coughing fit and nearly choke to death!

You guys are just about as good as the Carol Burnett Show! Manly, you and the gang are a killah! Thanks for keeping the flame of hope burning!

freeus on October 21, 2008 at 7:14 PM

More like WHINE and Cheese Chucky Cheese Party. ;-)

aero on October 21, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Wade on October 21, 2008 at 7:19 PM

When Socialists/Marxists are done we all will be have nots.

Entelechy on October 21, 2008 at 6:48 PM

We will, but Barry and Michelle will be rich as Croesus.

Buy Danish on October 21, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Fort Sumter

Limerick on October 21, 2008 at 5:36 PM

…cool…let’s throw down…I’ve even got a flag or two….

Puritan1648 on October 21, 2008 at 7:34 PM

imagine what he’s capable of once he gets in the WHite House.

Think hard about that.

jeff_from_mpls on October 21, 2008 at 6:13 PM

…this deserves to be read again and again….

…add this to it: if he’s willing to shake down his friends and allies — those who’ve slavishly done all they could to see him get elected — what will he do to his enemies?

The mind boggles….

Puritan1648 on October 21, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Once the Obamamessiah is anointed the MSM and the nutroots will find that the Obamamessiah has no more use for them.

We all know what happens to the useful idiots and street thugs once they lose their usefulness to a totalitarian regime. For those members of the MSM and the nutroots who might read this post study up on Ernst Rohm and “The Night of the Long Knives”.

Nahanni on October 21, 2008 at 8:53 PM

This is funnier than when Obama told Harry Ried “NO” when it came to sharing Obama’s wealth. Serves the MSM right. They hitched their wagon to this mule. And if elected, they are going to pay full price. LOL

Hog Wild on October 21, 2008 at 8:58 PM

Nice touch throwing in Zod.

steveegg on October 21, 2008 at 9:07 PM

I get a visual of the little green monsters at Pizza Planet in Toy Story whenever I think of the MSM…they deserve this…this created this monster

CCRWM on October 21, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Update: I’ve explained Tanning Bed Media, but I don’t mind explaining it again.

I just searched this site for “Tanning Bed Media” and found thirteen entries.

Don’t go out of your way because one person here can’t be bothered to do a search to try to figure this out.

wise_man on October 21, 2008 at 9:44 PM

To quote Dale Carnegie’s in How to Win Friends and Influence People, “Your bad manners are exceeded only by your bad manners”

scrubjay on October 21, 2008 at 10:25 PM

I horked soda through my nose with that one. Thanks, Ed. I needed the laugh.

NoamSayin on October 21, 2008 at 10:39 PM

So, do these fees count as donations?

Assuming that Chris Matthews is already at his $2,300 limit, how on earth will he get in?

angelat0763 on October 21, 2008 at 10:43 PM

I am a Marin County Conservative.

surfer girl on October 21, 2008 at 5:11 PM

I feel your pain surfer girl. I reside a little south of you At least there is one other conserative in the water.

koypop on October 21, 2008 at 10:46 PM

If Obama winds up getting elected because of the cheerleading of the national media…they should start paying before the rest of us pony up.

Kinda like you paying taxes to build a place for multi-million dollar athletes to play in, & then they charge you more money to watch them play.

jgapinoy on October 21, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Dough-Re-Mi….Faux-SOL-Latte-DoO… and so on and so forth etcetera etcetera etcetera and such as…

And the next song and dance would be – all together now – “cumm Bayh java my law-red, cummm buy j.o.b.s, oooh lard cummmm bye jive.”

Thanks Ed. I needed that laugh. :)

Mcguyver on October 22, 2008 at 12:02 AM

Limerick on October 21, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Republican challenge to all my Republican friends…

My McCain/Palin signs are staying up in the yard for Halloween.

Any takers?

Mine have already been stolen…

Ace ODale on October 22, 2008 at 1:29 AM

ManlyRash on October 21, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Wonder if they will put butter on him?

sheebe on October 22, 2008 at 2:11 AM

Obama ‘admits’ Kenyan birth?
Campaign doesn’t respond to claims in lawsuit over birth certificate

AdrianS on October 22, 2008 at 10:41 AM

If this clownbag wins, Obama will be the media’s President, not mine.

The media was the propaganda wing of the Obama campaign for 24/7 and they’ve done a bang up job covering up Democrat vote fraud efforts.

So he’s there President. Let them pay the piper.

NoDonkey on October 22, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Not only did [the Obama camp] decline to answer questions, but right now they’re busy investigating anyone who still had the testicular fortitude to ask them after what happened to Joe the Plumber. Expect to see information about tax liens, divorce records, and licensing appear in the papers by Thursday.

Ed Morrissey

Heaven forbid that the polls are correct and Obama is elected, I think the WSJ has it right when they muse about the coming thugocracy. These people are indeed thugs, they have not a single care for the laws or justice, they only have lust and concern for power. But the people will get what they ask for.

Maxx on October 22, 2008 at 1:57 PM

I’ve explained Tanning Bed Media, but I don’t mind explaining it again. When Sarah Palin got picked by John McCain for his running mate, the national media sent dozens of reporters to Wasilla and Juneau to dig up dirt on her — and only came away with the second-hand tanning bed…

Doh, I thought TBM referred to that episode of Seinfeld where Kramer fell asleep in the tanning bed, heh.

Feedie on October 22, 2008 at 5:15 PM

Yeah, I’m the new TaxMan – so pay up you racist bitches.

/they called Armando Falcon a racists for blowing the whistle on the Ponzi scheme the Democrats created to crass the economy….

Kevin in Washington State on October 23, 2008 at 12:22 AM

Bears make money, bulls make money, pigs go to the slaughterhouse.

/And it was Democrats like Frank, Dodd, Maxine Waters, and Lacy Clay who suggested that regulators like Armando Falcon were racists for blowing the whistle on the Ponzi scheme they created.

Kevin in Washington State on October 23, 2008 at 12:27 AM