The Blurb That Never Was

posted at 6:09 pm on October 20, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

It’s not the crime, it’s the cover-up. In the midst of Barack Obama’s continuing insistence that William Ayers was just some guy in the neighborhood (and just some guy on two non-profit boards with whom Obama worked for almost a decade), people asked why Obama then gave Ayers a promotional blurb for his book, A Kind and Just Parent: The Children of Juvenile Court. Team Obama spokesmen Bill Burton and Robert Gibbs categorically denied it.

Oops:

Maybe it’s another State Senator Barack Obama.  You know, another one who would have worked closely enough with an unrepentant terrorist to get an advance look at his new book, and to write promotional material for its sales.  One who partnered with Ayers on a multimillion-dollar school reform project that ended up a failure.  One who owed Ayers after the unrepentant terrorist help launch his career in a fundraiser in the Ayers/Dohrn household.  You know, there has to be at least a dozen Barack Obamas who fit that description!

On a more serious note, this wouldn’t be an issue if the Obama campaign would stop lying about the nature of his relationship with Ayers.  They’ve continually fibbed about it when the public record is pretty clear that they formed a political alliance meant to boost Obama’s electoral career.  Their inability to be honest about this relationship is what makes these lesser revelations more significant than they should be.  A modest blurb on an obscure book would have no meaning at all absent the fact that Team Obama lied about it on two separate occasions.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Yeah, and it’s too bad that BHO wouldn’t let his brother move into the shed out back of his million dollar home in Chicago…

How come BHO didn’t ‘help a brother out’ when he was in Kenya in 2006 campaigning for his cousin Odinga?

Gohawgs on October 20, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Or maybe the Obamas should just let little brother pitch a tent on the adjoining lot that was purchased by their good friend, Mrs. Tony (the felon) Rezko (of the $37,000 annual salary) for over $600,000.00 on the same day the Obamas managed to buy their 1.6 Million dollar mansion from the same seller at $300,000 less than the asking price in a seller’s market. According to a report on t.v. yesterday, once the Rezkos sold the Obamas a section of the lot (for a little over $100,000), the remaining lot was too small for a house — so Mrs. Rezko’s investment is now basically worthless. Must be nice to have “friends” who’re willing to make that kind of financial sacrifice for you, eh Barry?

As for Barry’s thug cousin Odinga, who used violence to subvert Kenya’s democratic process after he lost the election there(despite his promises to “spread the wealth”), that’s the real scandal that the MSM should — but won’t — be telling the American public about. So much more important to find out if any of Bridget McCain’s school chums have any criticisms about what Cindy McCain packs in Bridget’s lunchbox, right MSM?

AZCoyote on October 20, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Why bother telling the truth when you know the media will cover for you?

GatewayMac on October 20, 2008 at 8:06 PM

Not the blurb I have come to know.

highhopes on October 20, 2008 at 8:08 PM

Glad you also mention this, but the Weekly Standard failed to mention where this story came from and seem to be taking credit for it by not mentioning the source.

Here is the link the the original story and the high resolution pictures he is giving out to the media that the Weekly Standard used.

JeffinSac on October 20, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Why bother telling the truth when you know the media will cover for you GatewayMac on October 20, 2008 at 8:06 PM

You ain’t seen nothing yet.

Mojave Mark on October 20, 2008 at 8:15 PM

Clicking your links above, the Burton denial of the book blurb has been removed from youtube for violating terms of service.

CourtZero on October 20, 2008 at 8:17 PM

Ace, since the Tanning Bed Media isn’t reporting it, those 527′s that are putting up campaign ads ought to weave that fact into the ads in combo with noting the blogs sites that are reporting it.

Maybe a whole ad on that might get people looking on the web for the info they haven’t heard in detail. If, rather than trying to flash lots of blog sites across the screen, they could have just keep repeating one, a clearinghouse site where the info could be indexed and blogs listed. They’d have to make sure it was mirrored, because on such short notice, there would probably be some DoS or even DDoS attacks.

Dusty on October 20, 2008 at 8:19 PM

D’oh!!! Typed this cr$p in the comment box on the wrong tab. What an idjit I am.

I should have known by the quality of the page layout … not saying which is better. :-)

Dusty on October 20, 2008 at 8:22 PM

No one cares about Ayers. Especially the left.
In fact, it gives Obama street cred.

This issue has been beat to death and will only lead to mccain losing even worse.

You know what I said is true.

Xolom on October 20, 2008 at 8:31 PM

This isn’t the Barry I know… *Wait* yes it is.

Claypigeon on October 20, 2008 at 8:35 PM

He doth protest too much, methinks. Why, it makes it look like Obama knows that he *should* hide this relationship, I wonder why?

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 20, 2008 at 8:35 PM

He sure does use the word hope a lot…even in this endorsement.

TheKernel on October 20, 2008 at 8:40 PM

This picture would make a great ad…How do you ignore or explain this away…I guess they will claim it was a photoshop job.

TheKernel on October 20, 2008 at 8:42 PM

This denying and parsing of words is worse than “it depends on what the definition of is is”. With legalese like this it’s kinda surprising that both BHO and MO gave up their law licenses after 7 and 5 yrs, respectively. (I know, using BHO and MO in the same sentence as respectively is redundant, NOT!).

Gohawgs on October 20, 2008 at 8:44 PM

Okay, so nobody cares about Ayers or anything else that has been asked. They are all distractions. I must get on an Obama rope line because I have to know when he had his rhinoplasty!

Oleta on October 20, 2008 at 8:52 PM

Bill Burton is one of the creepiest thugs who’s mug has ever been on television. And I mean thug. No. Doubt. About it.

Editor on October 20, 2008 at 6:11 PM

I couldn’t agree with you more, Editor. It’s gotten to the point that when he shows up on Fox, I have to hit the mute button and turn away.

But then again, I’ve gotten to the point where I do that when anyone from the Obama campaign comes on.

IrishGirl17 on October 20, 2008 at 8:58 PM

IrishGirl17 on October 20, 2008 at 8:58 PM

Same here, Burton disgusts me. Obama and all that represent him make me sick.

I know this is off the subject. But, Obama is flying to Hawaii after a speech on Thursday. His Grandmother is sick. Is it possible that when he comes back, he will have a birth certificate? I know, my mind is devious at times.

sheebe on October 20, 2008 at 9:11 PM

As Joe Biden would say, truth is a four letter word.

Cindy Munford on October 20, 2008 at 9:18 PM

Obama’s coming to town this week.

Hmmmm. Should I become the next Joe the Plumber?

MadisonConservative on October 20, 2008 at 9:32 PM

Blurb for the looming Obama Campaign Memoir:

Everything was going gangbusters- to use a Chicago metaphor- when suddenly the Obama Magic went poof! It was the most abrupt reversal of fortune in American political history. And who in the Media would have ever guessed that it would all hinge on a little _________.”

What will that final word be?

profitsbeard on October 20, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Obama’s coming to town this week.

Hmmmm. Should I become the next Joe the Plumber?

Keep at least five years of tax returns handy if you do.

whitetop on October 20, 2008 at 9:54 PM

None of this matters. With the media so completely in the tank, an electorate that either doesn’t care or doesn’t get it, and a party so completely willing to throw away the principles of a true democratic society that all our founding fathers worked so hard for, this country is doomed.

uncalheels on October 20, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Regardless, I am still very excited about the tax cut I’m getting under the Obama administration. You see I make under $250,000, so I’ll be getting my tax cut – uh, won’t I?

Mr_Magoo on October 20, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Who knew that “harming the Obamessiah” was prohibited by the YouTube TOS! Now it all makes sense.

I really couldn’t be more disappointed in the MSM’s behavior during this election. I thought they went too far in 2004, they’re twice as bad now. As far as I’m concerned, they’ve abandoned every worthwhile principle of journalism for the comfort of the clique, and the damage they’re doing is literally immeasurable.

Merovign on October 20, 2008 at 10:37 PM

The thing about the media ignoring Obama’s lies and defects is that he will begin to believe he can say or do anything. So, the day will have to come when media can’t save him because he will screw up so bad more and more members of the media won’t even be able to abide it. The day will come when even his skin color won’t save him. He probably won’t understand and will turn to hating and controlling the media.
But maybe he’ll lose the election.

snaggletoothie on October 20, 2008 at 10:41 PM

Media getting around to this in 3, 3, 3…

Grafted on October 20, 2008 at 10:47 PM

The video was missing on You Tube. This is the third time that someone has sent or put a link on here. And poof! It is gone. I have a friend in China. One time a person in the chat asked her a political question. This was about 7 years ago. She vanished. Then she got me on messenger. Told me that there were things she could not say. I left it at that. WTF are we turning into China? He isn’t even President yet! He better not be either. Any way, have to go. This is the only site I really feel good on. I got testy with a user. I mis understood the person. I feel bad. snaggletoothie, you are right about the Media.

sheebe on October 20, 2008 at 11:44 PM

By and large, the media are on their knees, grasping, reaching, straining to get their fingers on Obama’s zipper. There is no honor among them; hasn’t been for years. At least not since Billy Jeff got protien stains on Monica’s blue dress and maybe before. But I think it was then that they finally realized there was no penalty for jumping in the tank with their messiah-du-jour. They disgust me, but my only recourse is to avoid them. I do.

SKYFOX on October 21, 2008 at 5:46 AM

The collective media are nothing but a group of Clymers who have spent this entire election cycle taking turns giving Obama “media monicas” schooled by Barney “Ben Dover” Frank…

sabbott on October 21, 2008 at 8:46 AM

If you read Obama’s books, whether written by him or ghost written, you have to come away with the feeling that he is one of the most inauthentic humans ever. His whole life has been to cover who he really is and to hide behind words what he really feels. His ties to the worst elements in society should disqualify him, yet he counts on white guilt to glide past the goal lines. When major crisis hits, he will be a deer in the headlights and will have to count on the anti american advisors, dem leadership and goofballs in his Administration. Makes one consider that we really are in the end times

eaglewingz08 on October 21, 2008 at 8:47 AM