Quote of the day

posted at 10:40 pm on October 20, 2008 by Allahpundit

“If you want to redeem your honor, you will swallow hard and make a list of all the stories you would print if it were McCain who had been getting money from Fannie Mae, McCain whose campaign had consulted with its discredited former CEO, McCain who had voted against tightening its lending practices.

Then you will print them, even though every one of those true stories will point the finger of blame at the reckless Democratic Party, which put our nation’s prosperity at risk so they could feel good about helping the poor, and lay a fair share of the blame at Obama’s door.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

And Roger. Please, for me, for Romney, for everyone here, just shut the hell up.

29Victor on October 21, 2008 at 12:56 AM
I second that motion.

Laura in Maryland on October 21, 2008 at 1:07 AM

Bite me and bite me. thanks!!!

Roger Waters on October 21, 2008 at 1:11 AM

Roger Waters on October 21, 2008 at 1:11 AM

My friend, cheer up. Senator Government will make everything hunky dorey.

Laura in Maryland on October 21, 2008 at 1:13 AM

Jamais vu

LegendHasIt on October 20, 2008 at 11:27 PM

Hillbillying again?

Entelechy on October 21, 2008 at 1:15 AM

Sorry, forgot the smiley, Legend.

Entelechy on October 21, 2008 at 1:15 AM

Orson Scott Card.

My favorite author EVAH. Read Maps in a Mirror, the lost boys, all the Ender’s game series, damn near everything he’s written up til 2000, except for that damn Alvin Maker series.

Awesome writer, and puts together a very concise argument. He’s no Joe the Plumber – he’s won the Hugo and the Nebula, and doesn’t have to worry about working or finding a publisher.

flashoverride on October 21, 2008 at 1:16 AM

yeah, it’s a giant $hit sandwich, and we all have to take a big sloppy bite.

Falconsword on October 21, 2008 at 1:20 AM

O/T but I thought the Bean series was 100x better than his Ender books. Ender’s Game was fun but it got sketchy after that.

hump1201 on October 21, 2008 at 1:26 AM

Hey Roger – I voted for Romney too and have pissed and moaned plenty about McCain in this cycle. But…

If it weren’t for the fraudulent voter registrations, I might think McCain has a chance. But they’re stuffing the boxes in Ohio with dead people, and even the Supreme Court doesn’t care. So I’m somewhat pessimistic about McCain’s chances. But I do have hope, though not about the election.

I think conservatives are tired of the bullshit enough to finally get numbers and fight. I’m personally ready to grab my torch and pitchfork. Enough pussy-footing around. I’m ready for a fight. My lifetime Democrat mom is turning Republican this election cycle (she’s a PUMA) and socialism is the word of the day.

And the media… whew boy. I loathe the media. A “profession?” Don’t make me laugh. I’m never watching nightly news, reading a newspaper, or tuning into late night TV again. Screw those guys – I’m not contributing to their ratings.

I am ready to jump onto an alternative. Don’t have one? Make one. Get involved. Get to know your local politicians. Use every skill you’ve got, and then make new ones.

Fight… hard.

beatcanvas on October 21, 2008 at 1:35 AM

A redeaming moment that some democrats aren’t all subhuman.

Hope?

Kini on October 21, 2008 at 1:39 AM

Entelechy on October 21, 2008 at 1:15 AM
I have a thesaurus. ;-)

LegendHasIt on October 21, 2008 at 1:52 AM

Entelechy on October 21, 2008 at 1:15 AM

YOU, will never need one with me.

LegendHasIt on October 21, 2008 at 1:53 AM

Actually though, I didn’t know that from an honest education, or honest private study. I learned the term from an Eric Lustbader book that I was had to review for a friend’s ‘literary’ magazine a couple of decades ago. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have had a clue.

LegendHasIt on October 21, 2008 at 1:59 AM

hump1201 on October 21, 2008 at 1:26 AM

Oh, thanks for jogging my mind… My first experience with Card was his Alvin Maker series.

LegendHasIt on October 21, 2008 at 2:08 AM

So I wake up in the middle of the night, just like now, and flip through the channels. It’s the weekend so C-Span 2 is talking about books and a gentleman is doing Q & A on 48 Liberals Lies or something. He remarks that in the country’s early history newspapers were owned by the parties. Bought and paid for and the public read the publication of the party that they lean towards. No pretense of fair and balanced. I wonder if I knew that before? Anyway he says that we are reverting back to that. At least it would be honest. Then Michael Moore was suppose to come on. Click. Would it make any difference to link this article to the editor of your paper? The “elite” media?

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2008 at 3:21 AM

Okay. Because he wrote this, I officially forgive Orson Scott Card for writing Children of the Mind.

SteakRules on October 21, 2008 at 3:22 AM

beatcanvas on October 21, 2008 at 1:35 AM

Don’t forget, prostitution is considered a profession, too.

OldEnglish on October 21, 2008 at 3:31 AM

Card changed my life when I read Ender’s Game and Speaker for the Dead.

AbaddonsReign on October 21, 2008 at 6:42 AM

Oh, don’t worry Mr. Card, those stories will be printed in the paper, after the election and on page Z32. You see, it takes a while to fully investigate these things and when they’re no longer relevant well, they just don’t make the front page. Case in point: Every news organization personally counted all the ballots from Florida in 2000. They all showed that Bush won. However, since he was already in office, that fact was no longer relevant. Surely it didn’t matter whether anybody still thought that Bush stole the election.

Kafir on October 21, 2008 at 7:07 AM

It was my prediction on this very forum that this story would get coverage after the election.

It is also my prediction that the economy will improve the morning after the election. The networks will stop running stories about how tough it is out there for the unemployed.

drjohn on October 21, 2008 at 7:26 AM

Mr. Olson must not have gotten the memo from Goebbels..er…I mean Axelrod on the series of big lies being dissembled in order to get their candidate elected

stu.b.con on October 21, 2008 at 7:38 AM

…this story would get coverage after the election.

drjohn on October 21, 2008 at 7:26 AM

I couldn’t agree more. There will be some of the usual sandbagging from the Democrat/Press that “it’s much worse than we thought, and it will take a while to fix what Bush ruined”, but then it will be an unending propaganda blitz about how great everything is.

These flowery statements will make no sense whatsoever in light of the raw economic data, and the reporting from the past four months on similar data.

Hope and change. In the meantime, Bill Ayers will blow up the Tribune building by accident, and Webster’s will remove the word “irony” from the English language. [/sarc]

Jaibones on October 21, 2008 at 7:39 AM

The dinosaur media is, well, a dinosaur. A fossil. Dead. A curious museum display piece, but nothing more.

Nonsense. They’re dangerously partisan. During the primaries they cozied up to McCain, portraying him as a respected war hero and a Washington rainmaker.

How are they portraying him now?

He hasn’t changed anything (that I can think of) in his platform. But they’re certainly molding the perception.

The bloggers are the new Woodward and Bernstein. In fact, every major story I can think of has come from the bloggers. Clinton’s Lewinski affair broke on Drudge. Bush’s gay prostitute in the press corps broke on a blog….and that’s just for starts.

Even the Joe The Plumber saga started in the blogs as hostile rumors and innuendo, which the media picked up and parrotted. Joe’s real status as an apprentice, along with a whole bunch of other “debunks” also appeared on a blog, but by then the media had apparently moved on.

The media is a tool for their corporate owners. I have heard that for years, and never put much faith in the argument, but after watching the manipulation of this election cycle, I am convinced that the conspiracy nuts are absolutely right about the media. It is not honest, it is not balanced, and it is a dangerous weapon being used against our republic.

angelat0763 on October 21, 2008 at 7:44 AM

McCain is going to win on November 4 regardless of what you or I believe.

ManlyRash on October 21, 2008 at 7:46 AM

Only the imagination of Allahpundit would put the mug of Bawney Fwank up with a quote that included the words “swallow hard”.

Indeed he has and does…………….

Hening on October 21, 2008 at 7:52 AM

What do they call that when you remember something that you’ve never seen?

Jaibones on October 20, 2008 at 10:58 PM

I call it Obama’s ‘autobiography’, “Dreams Of My Dead-Beat, Commie Father.”

RickZ on October 21, 2008 at 7:54 AM

<blockquoteAnd, sorry Rash, but McCain aint going to win, unfortunately, despite your continuous delusions. – Roger Waters on October 21, 2008 at 12:48 AM

The day Obama or any of the other Anti-American ilk get elected as president is the day the great experiment of this nation is over. It won’t be this time because there are still enough real lovers of this country that cling to their Bibles and guns. It will eventually happen, and the old which this country was invented to replace will overrun the dream. This country still amazes by pulling together to repel enemies against all odds, and will do so again come election day.

Hening on October 21, 2008 at 7:58 AM

Barney is at it again. “There are plenty of rich people out there we can tax” [regarding his 300billion stimulus]

lodge on October 21, 2008 at 8:21 AM

Hening on October 21, 2008 at 7:58 AM

I don’t think the socialists can come back to fight the fight another day if they lose. They’re aging, and slowly moving out of their positions of power. I know there’s a real demographic change, but most people shift right as they age, so the many youthful Obama supporters won’t always be so silly as they marry and start families and careers. So while new conservatives are being formed by nature, I don’t think new socialists are. And the MSM has already reached its highest point of power, and is receding. I don’t think the old-guard Left has 8 years in them to wait and re-trench. That’s why I think its crucial we win this time.

JiangxiDad on October 21, 2008 at 8:23 AM

drjohn on October 21, 2008 at 7:26 AM

Give it a little more time, and taxes paid to the UN will be proportional to the cooling temperatures of the earth.

Scientific grants bribes from Congress will fund the research graft.

Saltysam on October 21, 2008 at 8:26 AM

Just imagine, if it had been Mike Oxley who had had a longtime romantic relationship with a top executive at Fannie Mae, while helping to quash any regulation of it. Imagine if it had been Oxley getting his lover and friends high-paying jobs at Fannie Mae, and steering its foundation grants to his favored grassroots organizations. Imagine if one of those organizations had another arm that engaged in extensive voter fraud.

Imagine if Richard Shelby and Elizabeth Dole and Mel Martinez had received sweetheart loan deals from the #1 mortgage lender and biggest Fannie Mae customer, while sitting on the Senate Banking Committee that killed reform of Fannie Mae.

It boggles the mind.

rockmom on October 21, 2008 at 8:32 AM

A redeaming moment that some democrats aren’t all subhuman.

Hope?

Kini on October 21, 2008 at 1:39 AM

The trend calls this a dying breed.

Saltysam on October 21, 2008 at 8:34 AM

rockmom on October 21, 2008 at 8:32 AM

Imagine if Marxists controlled the media, education, and the justice system.

Saltysam on October 21, 2008 at 8:38 AM

JiangxiDad on October 21, 2008 at 8:23 AM

Yeah, since the 1870s, I’d say it’s just a phase. ;-)

Saltysam on October 21, 2008 at 8:46 AM

If I may quote another “Mormon” source:

And if the time comes that the voice of the people doth choose iniquity, then is the time that the judgments of God will come upon you; yea, then is the time he will visit you with great destruction even as he has hitherto visited this land.

For good or for ill, we as a people will get what we vote for.

Heiress on October 21, 2008 at 9:21 AM

I liked Card’s “Ender’s Game” (though it was anti-war, it was a good book; I kept my liking for it by ignoring the rest of the ’series’). I’m impressed that, as a democrat, he’s openly admitting what’s going on in the MSM, and advocating they start actual reporting! My esteem for him has risen significantly.

rmgraha on October 20, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Orson Scott Card has been one of my favorite authors for decades now. He’s got a very interesting book that ManlyRash might really enjoy, released last year. It’s called “Empire” and it’s about redstate vs bluestate. They’re making a video game based on it as well.

Highly reccommended. Here’s an outstanding audio podcast done Glenn and Hellen Show (Instapundit and Instawife)about the stark division in our political ideologies done as “Empire” was released last year.

techno_barbarian on October 21, 2008 at 11:24 AM

But how does it help these people to give them a loan that they can’t repay? They get into a house, yes, but when they can’t make the payments, they lose the house — along with their credit rating.

(Emphasis added)

Isn’t that a big part of the problem? Bad credit isn’t that great an impediment. The problem started with getting people with suspect credit into houses they couldn’t pay for.

Blaise on October 21, 2008 at 12:25 PM

I’m printing it, so I can fish my paper’s latest plea for a subscription out of my trash and send it along with this eloquent explanation for my refusal. Don’t know if it will do anyone else any good, but I’ll feel better.

NellE on October 21, 2008 at 1:04 PM

winemkr on October 21, 2008 at 12:54 AM

You can always support McCain by making calls at your local Republican office… can even get set up to do it online at johnmccain.com.

Califemme on October 21, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Probably the most articulate dress-down of the newspaper leftists I’ve ever read.

The newspaper is dead, the electronic news is here to stay. Let the propagandists go down in flames and get in the unemployment line, because Lord knows, they have no other skillset other than grammar and sucking the arseholes of the Democrats.

Great read.