Video: Ingraham versus Hitchens on endorsing Obama

posted at 1:43 pm on October 19, 2008 by Allahpundit

In which Hitch follows Buckley’s and MacDonald’s lead and gambles the war on terror on the premise that Obama won’t be as left-wing in office as his background suggests. The exchange is more interesting as banter than debate, but it’s fun watching Ingraham yell at him and surreal to see one of the world’s foremost skeptics taking The One’s exquisitely timed tack towards the center over the past few months at face value. I never figured him for a cheap date. Here’s hoping she does have him on her radio show and asks why he supposes Obama will persevere in Afghanistan when his darling base has already soured on the cause. As Biden famously said at the VP debate, past is prologue. They would have left Fallujah, which is at long last finally secure, for dead if they’d had their way; why will Kabul be any different?

Since we’re on the subject, today’s must-read is the Times’s analysis of statements given by Iraqi detainees confirming something we’ve been writing about for a year and a half: Iran and Hezbollah are building a proxy army of Iraqi Shiite militiamen. Surprise.

The prisoners’ accounts cannot be independently verified. Yet the detainees gave strikingly similar details about training compounds in Iran, a clandestine network of safe houses in Iran and Iraq they used to reach the camps and intra-Shiite tensions at the camps between the Arab Iraqis and their Persian Iranian trainers…

The documents portray an Iranian strategy to use Iraqi Shiites as surrogates, in part to avoid the risk of Iranians being captured in Iraq. In one of the intelligence reports, a prisoner tells his captors that “Iran does not want to fight a direct war” with American forces in Iraq because Tehran worries that the United States would destroy Iran…

American officials say it is still murky just how much of a direct role senior Iranian officials take in the training, although they say they believe that it takes place with at least the tacit approval of elements of Iran’s government. The documents do not provide any direct evidence of senior Iranian government officials overseeing the training.

Not only is there training allegedly going on outside Tehran, it’s going on in Lebanon too — which also shouldn’t come as a bombshell. (In June, the AP claimed it was going on inside Iraq itself.) The Times of London hinted in May that the U.S. knows where the Iranian camp is and was weighing an attack, but it looks like Bush is leaving that loose end to his successor. Ingraham might want to run that by Hitch, too, to see how lucky he feels.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Fortunata:

Hitch also made some remark a few weeks ago about how if it was true that Obama was so smart, why was it no one could remember anything Obama had said after listening to one of his speeches?

Terrye on October 19, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Cindy Munford on October 19, 2008 at 3:14 PM

In the interest of brotherly unity, I vote for fearing (well, fighting really) both.

JadeNYU on October 19, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Hitchen’s to me is very intelligent. A brilliant writer also. I don’t know what to make of him supporting Obama though. Guess one has a right to his or her own opinion. I am sadden, but I still believe in McCain/Palin. Laura did chew him up though. Now Powell. I think I need to take a nap.

sheebe on October 19, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Christopher Hitchens is the Tom Sawyer of the political world of the twentieth-first century; always showing off; always hunting for a chance to be provocative and show off; in his frenzied imagination the Great Republic is a vast Barnum circus with him as the clown provocateur and the whole world for audience; he would go to Halifax for half a chance to be provocative and show off and he would go to hell for a whole one.

MB4 on October 19, 2008 at 3:18 PM

JadeNYU on October 19, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Amen, foreign or domestic.

Cindy Munford on October 19, 2008 at 3:20 PM

You see the look on his face at the end? When I watched this live I realized there’s a lot more “Bradleying” going on than I thought. There is no way this man is pulling the lever for The One. The look says it all.

TheBigOldDog on October 19, 2008 at 3:20 PM

MB4 on October 19, 2008 at 3:18 PM

That or he was closer than he wanted to be to the Twin Towers on 9/11/01.

Cindy Munford on October 19, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Terrye on October 19, 2008 at 3:17 PM

That’s why the endorsement for Obama is so confusing.

He doesnt’ find Obama to be particularly intelligent, but is endorseing him because Obama moved towards the center in the campaign (which is something that it’s well-known liberal candidates have to do to get elected).

I can understand why idiots and the uninformed will vote for Obama – they don’t know what he stands for.

I can undertand why liberals will vote for Obama – they support what he stands for.

I don’t understand why informed people that are against Obama’s policies (though, with the Trotsky-loving Hitchens, it’s only his war policies he’s against) are supporting him under the assumption that he’s going to suddenly morph into a centrist that is hawkish on the war and smart about economics.

JadeNYU on October 19, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Ah, you people missed it. I want to play poker with you all. You’re invited over any time. Bring lots of money and feel free to bluff heavily. In fact, go all in the first chance you get. I am easily deceived, honest!

TheBigOldDog on October 19, 2008 at 3:22 PM

You forgot to open with “as a concerned longtime conservative”. Never mind, you’ll get the hand of this when Axelrod briefs you again.

Aristotle on October 19, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Seeing as how I’m not a longtime conservative, or a conservative at all, I’m amused by your disgust for independent thought.

Seixon on October 19, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Why does he HAVE TO support Obama? Why can’t he just not support McCain and refuse to vote or something?

He’s the one that is becoming “erratic.”

Riposte on October 19, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Aristotle on October 19, 2008 at 2:44 PM

I get that same vibe from that commenter.

ronsfi on October 19, 2008 at 3:25 PM

TheBigOldDog on October 19, 2008 at 3:20 PM

That’s interesting. It crossed my mind that fear may be playing a role in this too.

Feedie on October 19, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Feedie on October 19, 2008 at 3:27 PM

You know why he said, “radio might be better?” Because he knew his “tell” was shoing and he had a hard time keeping a straight face when going face-to-face with Laura. The man almost bursted out laughing trying to explain why he was “backing” The One. Pure Bradleying. No doubt in my mind whatsoever.

TheBigOldDog on October 19, 2008 at 3:29 PM

It is odd how all the elite RINO’s are coming out for Obama. How do you vote for someone who is for everything you have been against your entire published life? Mr. Hitchens excluded. Because of Gov. Palin? I don’t have any problems discussing misgivings or conceived weaknesses but how can you pull the lever? I’d rather just not vote.

Cindy Munford on October 19, 2008 at 3:30 PM

When you compare Powell supporting a fellow black for prez (but hey it’s not about color) to the VICE PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE of the dhimmicrat party a few years ago supporting McCain, it put’s it all in perspective.

Hitchens has gone all Buckley on us.

Mojave Mark on October 19, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Feedie on October 19, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Thinking alike!

Cindy Munford on October 19, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Hitchens has gone all Buckley on us.

Mojave Mark on October 19, 2008 at 3:30 PM

I think Buckley is a believer. Hitch isn’t. he’s just protecting his arse.

TheBigOldDog on October 19, 2008 at 3:32 PM

TheBigOldDog on October 19, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Yes, just watched the interview again. There’s something sheepish about his demeanor all the way through. I wish Ingraham had actually made him answer her tough questions instead of talking all over him.
I dunno…perhaps he secretly has the superhots for Palin and can’t square it with his atheism LOL!!

Fortunata on October 19, 2008 at 3:33 PM

I still think Buckley is trying to up his book sales. Although these mountain and temperament speeches by he and Brooks make me beyond queasy.

Cindy Munford on October 19, 2008 at 3:34 PM

I find it interesting that so many people on this site like C. Hitchens. I can only think of one subject on which he and American conservatives might agree (Iraq). On Near Eastern affairs he would oppose most anything else apart from Iraq and Afghanistan that have been US policy over the last eight years.

If you are curious… I would suggest that his equally able brother is more your cup of tea but I never see Ap or Ed using his eloquent arguments, which are much more conservative than the openly socialist Christopher.

The best debate on the EU was between the two brothers.

lexhamfox on October 19, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Reject the Dubai candidate, Barack Hussein Obama:

Quote from the Barack Obama book, Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama: “I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.” And this man wants to be President? I and several tens of millions of people think NOT.

Barack Hussein Obama is a national threat to America.

========================================================

Powell Admits Error on WMD Trailers

Washington — Secretary of State Colin Powell today admitted that the administrations reports of Saddam’s mobile weapons laboratories was in fact false. The trailers apparently were not used to make Weapons of Mass Destruction at all.

To err is human. Over and over again. To err is human.

Can we expect soon:

Powell Admits Error on endorsement of Barack Obama

Washington — Secretary of State Colin Powell today admitted that his support and endorsement of Senator Barack Hussein Obama was premature and nonsensical. It was based on false facts. Obama has not really anything to offer and the fact that he is Black does not stack up well at all.

Fool me once, shame on YOU. Fool me twice, shame on me. I don’t believe you Mr. Powell.

Let’s elect John McCain — Honorable and Patriot — Commander-in-Chief of the United States of America.

Elect John McCain — Honorable and Patriotic — President of these United States of America.

AdrianS on October 19, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Personally I have always found Hitchens to be more self-important than Bill Mahar and only slightly less abraisive.

Renae on October 19, 2008 at 2:58 PM

+10

Hitchens writes well, for those who are poorly educated in philosophy. His secularism is naïve, but advocated with good rhetorical flourishes.

Obama and Hitchens are soul mates. Hitchens just differed for a while in the WOT.

Right_of_Attila on October 19, 2008 at 3:43 PM

lexhamfox on October 19, 2008 at 3:40 PM

He was mentioned earlier in the thread, he hates W and is anti-war. Funny isn’t it.

Cindy Munford on October 19, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Jade:

I think that people like Hitchens believe all this is crap. They think the world is run by a handful of powerful behind the scenes people and as such it does not make that much difference who the president is..in the end he will have to do certain things.

I think their cynicism is naive.

Terrye on October 19, 2008 at 3:52 PM

TheBigOldDog on October 19, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Would you mind spelling it out a little simpler. I watched it twice. I understand that you are saying that Hitchens is up to something other than what meets the eye. But I don’t get what that something is.

(btw, loved that vid in sac with the flags. was mesmerized to see the boys learning like that. I didn’t get that. Bravo.)

JiangxiDad on October 19, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Right_of_Attila on October 19, 2008 at 3:43 PM

He is apparently doing some guest lecturing at a U.S. college and he is amazed at what the students haven’t read. He use to be on Hugh Hewitt’s show on Wednesdays. I have always enjoyed listening to him or reading him even on subjects that he is dead wrong about. So see, trolls, we will listen or read other views.

Cindy Munford on October 19, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Seixon on October 19, 2008 at 3:23 PM

What’s so independent of making talking points that are appearing on the web like mushrooms after rain? Sarah Palin is making you less likely to vote for McCain because you are suddenly so so so so so worried about Foreign Policy? “Independent” my arse.

Aristotle on October 19, 2008 at 3:58 PM

I needed to be reminded why i don’t read Hitchens anymore and he cured me of having to be reminded again.
He’s a misogynist of the highest order and God bless Laura for not allowing him to drag out all of the issues that Hitchens is dead wrong about: abortion, God, and the decency of the common man/woman, or I should say, non-intellectuals.
Barry is ‘teachable’, says the great Hitch…we can’t hang with someone who is 47 and still doesn’t know jack about being an selfless servant to all of America, let alone how to be a grown-up.

Christine on October 19, 2008 at 4:02 PM

I believe that all of these wimps (who used to be moderate-to-conservative) are now coming out for Obama for one of three reasons:

1. they were threatened by the Obamanation camp
2. they were bought off by the Obamanation camp
3. they think this is the only way they’ll be able to keep their careers after the terrorist-enabling, infantacide-pushing Muslim steals this election.

I’m done with these people! Thank God for Laura and Michelle.

ErinF on October 19, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Well, if that were true, what of Obama’s debate talking point that Kissinger supported his stance on relations with Iran? Obama pretty much wrapped Kissinger around himself like a cape.

Seixon on October 19, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Kissinger refuted Obama’s claim.

Much as I admire Hitchens’s rapier wit, he is a self-admitted Trotsky admirer, as was pointed out earlier.

onlineanalyst on October 19, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Palin is the mirror who exposes the vampires.

Hisssss -tch.

profitsbeard on October 19, 2008 at 4:08 PM

TheBigOldDog on October 19, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Sorry, the remark about the video wasn’t intended for you. My mistake.

JiangxiDad on October 19, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Maybe Mr Hitchens should take the word of Moveon.org, when they blame McCain for the surge. If we had followed Obama, America would of basically failed in Iraq.

Escalation

WoosterOh on October 19, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Palin is the mirror who exposes the vampires.

Well said. I think it’s amazing how this wonderful woman has turned people inside out and backwards. And you just know the main reason is because she doesn’t believe in killing babies.

Yeah… that makes Palin a real ogre!

ErinF on October 19, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Mojave Mark on October 19, 2008 at 3:30 PM

I’ve never seen you talk about race since I’ve seen you post here at HotAir that wasn’t explicitly degrading to the intelligence of minorities. As if Powell didn’t make his decision to vote for Obama because of all the reasons he gave when outlining his endorsement, but rather because he saw his skin color and went “Ohhh.” Your racist psychoanalysis of Powell is out and out laughable if not utterly disgusting.

Nonfactor on October 19, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Silly republicans, those aren’t terrorist or insurgent bases outside Tehran. They are ACORN community organizers at those locations. This blogger’s use of the terms ‘safe houses’ and ‘militiamen’ are merely code words for persons of color and the poor, and are attempting to victimize the powerless and take away their right to vote and other precious constitutional rights. Indeed it is the existence of these ACORN sites outside of Tehran, that has motivated the ONE to seek an immediate no precondition meeting with the powers that be in Iran. Indeed, I am assured that most of the persons whom this blogger labels as Shiites, are really named Goodwill Hunting, Doodad Pro and poiuyt rewq.
So stop fomenting animosity towards small peaceful Iran and Dear Leader Obama or else you will have to be sued in Missouri for your hate speech.
Thanks.

eaglewingz08 on October 19, 2008 at 4:19 PM

Yeah… that makes Palin a real ogre!

ErinF on October 19, 2008 at 4:11 PM

McCain, Romney, Reagan have held similar views on abortion. The issue with Palin is less about abortion than it is about her lack of demonstrated depth on national issues, other than energy. Unfortunately, oil has dropped about $30/barrel since McCain made her his pick.

dedalus on October 19, 2008 at 4:23 PM

oil has dropped about $30/barrel since McCain made her his pick.

… and The One has said he would be fine with it going up to $10/gallon. Something to look forward to in his first year or two of domination.

ErinF on October 19, 2008 at 4:25 PM

War with Iran is inevitable, no matter the administration.

History has it’s own momentum.

mylegsareswollen on October 19, 2008 at 4:25 PM

ErinF on October 19, 2008 at 4:25 PM

He won’t have much influence over the price of oil during his first term. If our economy and the world’s economies avoid a depression the price of oil will rise again. If the economy continues to deteriorate, gas will be very cheap and even OPEC won’t be able to generate much price support.

dedalus on October 19, 2008 at 4:29 PM

He’s lying – watch his face. He doesn’t support Obama but he’s lying to protect his own arse – for PC reasons – to keep the social heat off him – whatever. He practically cracked up laughing when Laura pressed him. That’s his “tell” a physical sign of deception. The man could barely keep a straight face. He knew it too. He was fighting it. Laura at the end says, “you’re not going to vote for Obama” because it was so obvious.

As everybody knows, it’s a lot easier to lie over the phone – “radio would be better,” was his way of admitting he’s having a hard time keeping a straight face and defending his public position of support.

TheBigOldDog on October 19, 2008 at 4:31 PM

I’ve just realised that this election is indeed defined by class war, just as the lefties say. The dividing lines are drawn up: intellectual elites, made up of both Democrats and country-club Republicans on one side, blue-collar Reagan Dems (plumber types), and redstate Republicans on the other. It’s not about race at all. And only a couple of months ago they were trying to pin this “7 houses” crap on McCain instead of the real elitist.
Am I wrong or am I just a bit slow?

Fortunata on October 19, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Nonfactor on October 19, 2008 at 4:13 PM

One should always look for a possible alternative and provide against it. It is the first rule of analysis.

semloh on October 19, 2008 at 4:33 PM

I’m not interested in being the object of an experiment in Obama’s “learning curve,” especially since I disdain too many of his tutors.

onlineanalyst on October 19, 2008 at 4:34 PM

onlineanalyst on October 19, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Oh LOL!!! Yep, Hitchens thinks Bambi is one of his students, a “teachable” one, ha!

Fortunata on October 19, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Let’s be truthful here, there is only one reason Hitchens is not supporting McCain, Sarah Palin. She is to religious for him, he hates anyone that he sees as a fundamentalist. I would hope that he would not be so shallow, but apparently he is. It’s horrible watching him tie himself in knots attempting to justify his support of Obama.

Complete7 on October 19, 2008 at 1:56 PM

And she is not an intellectual. Hitchens is nothing if not a snob.

McCain was right on Pakistan. Plausible deniability.

People don’t seem to grasp that concept.

lorien1973 on October 19, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Right on the money, Lorien.

MrLynn on October 19, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Hitch has been brainwashed… maybe we need to check the water supply.

T J Green on October 19, 2008 at 4:40 PM

I welcome your call from the political left for everyone to stop the accusations of racial motivations behind every action involving black Americans.

Good luck instructing your fellow “progressives” on this matter.

You’ll need it.

SteveMG on October 19, 2008 at 4:43 PM

War with Iran is inevitable, no matter the administration.

History has it’s own momentum.

mylegsareswollen on October 19, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Probably. And the problem is that Dems don’t really do war very well, it’s not one of their strong suits.

Fortunata on October 19, 2008 at 4:43 PM

MrLynn on October 19, 2008 at 4:38 PM

+10

Fortunata on October 19, 2008 at 4:48 PM

TheBigOldDog on October 19, 2008 at 4:31 PM

I have a suspicion that he is lying, but I can’t believe it would be to keep any social pressure away.

I didn’t hear Laura say at the end “you’re not going to vote for him.” Maybe she said it earlier in the interview.

“Radio would be better” was an interesting choice of words indeed. At first, I thought he was implying that it would give him more time to get a word in. Then I thought that it meant that Laura wouldn’t be so hyper. Your take on its meaning makes the most sense I think.

Something about this certainly doesn’t add up to me. I agree with you that Hitchens is up to something, but I don’t see how he would help the cause by having people generally believing that he is supporting Obama when he’s not. I have to think there is something more going on here than simply an attempt by him to stay in the left’s good graces. That seems illogical, because someone of his intelligence couldn’t really care too much what any crowd believes. He’s also no youngster, so acclaim from nobodies should mean nothing.

I once said I’d like to sit in a room and have a conversation with Obama. I’d like to do the same with Hitchens. I have a few on my list :)

Good luck to us Dog.

JiangxiDad on October 19, 2008 at 4:56 PM

JiangxiDad on October 19, 2008 at 4:56 PM

When all other explanation fails, refer to Allah’s “wet dreams”.

Mcguyver on October 19, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Complete7 on October 19, 2008 at 1:56 PM

If true, Hitchens is more ruled by religious beliefs than the religious. How ironic for an atheist.

JiangxiDad on October 19, 2008 at 5:07 PM

JiangxiDad on October 19, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Yes, Hitchens is nothing if not a contrarian and would relish a fight with just about anyone. Also, conservatives shouldn’t think he’s a natural Republican voter; I’d say he’s more of a libertarian.
As several posters have noted above, he’s an intellectual snob, not a social snob, and probably can’t get past Palin’s folksiness. Pollyanna doesn’t drink cocktails.
Palin of course suffers horribly much from being so goodlooking AND wholesome. Women hate her and men don’t take her seriously. That could be a huge advantage in a tough negotiation, but it would help if she could frighten men as well. Remember what Mitterand said of Mrs Thatcher: “The eyes of Caligula and the mouth of Marilyn Monroe”.

Fortunata on October 19, 2008 at 5:11 PM

God is the giver of intelligence and the One who takes it away. Hitchens’ knowledge is stolen by illusion.
‘I am seated in everyone’s heart, and from Me come remembrance, knowledge and forgetfulness.’ Bhagavad-Gita 15.15.

There are only two kinds of people in this world: decent and indecent. Palin is clearly on one side. Those on the other can’t help but reveal themselves in due course of time.

rishika on October 19, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Fortunata on October 19, 2008 at 5:11 PM

You’re a very good writer. That was a very good paragraph. But even that leaves me confused about Hitchens. I’m sufficiently modern to understand nuance. But in matters of life and death, I’m a black and white type of guy. The election choices seem starkly contrasted to me.

Disclaimer: black and white in the sense of clear-cut, diametrically opposed views. Any racial associations made by the reader are the product of a sick mind.

JiangxiDad on October 19, 2008 at 5:25 PM

Do’t you think most of these “pundits”, as well as some of the FOX team are simply trying to ingratiate themselves to an administration that would very likely hold grudges against “non-believers”.

It may not be enough to put McCain over the top, but I will guarantee you that lots of people who claim to be voting Obama won’t- It’s the American way to “be” for the cool candidate, it’s quite another to actually pull the lever.

anniekc on October 19, 2008 at 5:28 PM

rishika on October 19, 2008 at 5:16 PM

If so, I mourn for my loss of Hitchens. But because of your comment, I will finally go to the library tomorrow and get the Bahgavad-Gita, something I’ve been meaning to do for decades.

JiangxiDad on October 19, 2008 at 5:29 PM

Your brain on booze

You know, I drink also. Sometimes copious amounts.

But this Sarah Palin Madness is symptomatic of pure derangement.

Kini on October 19, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Obama won’t be as left-wing in office as his background suggests.

What a fool believes.

jgapinoy on October 19, 2008 at 5:38 PM

“Its a tiny country”! Barack Obama.

Iran doesn’t want a direct attack by the US!

Iran has been a war with the US,since 1979!

And for Hitchens,where is all this evidence
of McCain,and what he will or won’t do in
Afghanistan or Puck is Stan!!!!!!!

If anything,Hitchens has demonstrated that he
is all over the map,on the war!!!

canopfor on October 19, 2008 at 5:39 PM

rishika on October 19, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Ah, exploiting religion for political cheap shots. That’s how you know you’re reading a conservative blog.

Nonfactor on October 19, 2008 at 5:39 PM

McCain was right on Pakistan. Plausible deniability.

People don’t seem to grasp that concept.

lorien1973 on October 19, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Bingo. IMHO, Dash had it exactly backwards: If McCain would have said he’d go in with or without permission, the left would be claiming it’s some sort of omen McCain is GW Bush’s older brother (cowboy running into any country he pleases).

eforhan on October 19, 2008 at 5:43 PM

I’m amused by your disgust for independent thought.

Seixon on October 19, 2008 at 3:23 PM

The consistent conceit of liberals is at the same time infuriating and amusing. You really should know, there are plenty of folks here who are genuinely as bright as you apparently think you are, and none of us can see anything remotely approaching uniquely “independent thought” in your argument, let alone alone anything sufficiently independent to warrant your insufferable boasting about it over another poster. Nor do we see anything in his approach to you that suggests disgust for independent thought; his disgust is for words he finds silly, and any one of us could say the same.

For my part, I don’t think your concern about Palin is silly, I think it’s premature, uncharitable, and probably the product of predispositions rather than rational thought. Ms. Palin is “incurious” about foreign policy because she focuses on her job, always. Until recently, that job was Mayor of a rather small town, and later governor of a large but sparsely populated state. As folks like you were pointing out a few weeks ago, governing a state does not require foreign policy expertise. In the 7 weeks or so since she became a national figure, she’s been rather busy campaigning. She hasn’t had time to focus on foreign policy, except to the extent it touched her job — learning about the legal ramifications of negotiating a pipeline through Canada, and understanding littoral rights and the laws of territorial waters.

Lefties are never fair about attacking their adversaries. There’s no basis for claiming Palin is disinterested in foreign policy. The attempt to frighten us away because she doesn’t take delight in the sorts of swanky parties where she can schmooze foreign policy wonks with a scotch in her hand doesn’t work, because we’re not all such snobs as you seem to be. I’ll feel a lot more comfortable being governed by Ms. Palin than I would by that geeky pansy of an academic, Obama, who’s going to literally crap in his boxers the first time he has to make a decision that genuinely affects another human being’s life.

philwynk on October 19, 2008 at 5:44 PM

Nonfactor on October 19, 2008 at 5:39 PM

You say many silly things. This is particularly silly as the subject under discussion is whether Palin’s religous views scare Hitchens so much that he’d rather lose the war on terror than “submit” to a practicing Christian. That, of course, being an example of how religion is used for political cheap shots in your world.

JiangxiDad on October 19, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Ah,

Nonfactor on Oct 19,2008 at 5:39PM.

Nonfactor:Team Communist HopeLess/ChangeLess Socialist
Party is calling you,they need you to go and
get more voter registration forms,they haven’t
met their voter fraud numbers yet!

Oh and while your out,you might as well stop
by the nearset Republican campaign office,they
still have windows!!!

canopfor on October 19, 2008 at 5:46 PM

Also listen to this short interview with Walid Shoebat on Obama. This is the voice of a truly repentant terrorist (unlike Bill Ayers) who is trying to warn Americans that we’re about to elect a Trojan Horse for Islam.

econavenger on October 19, 2008 at 5:48 PM

Hitchens IS brilliant, with an education he can use better than most over-educated people to make lucid points. He understands the use of power and the value of democracy in the world today, and has an unflinching view of Islamism

BUT, he is and always be a liberal–a supporter of free speech and military power in pursuit of good causes, but also a lover of government for the Presumed Good it can and will do. He distrusts people and distrusts business even more, and in a typically European manner does not understand
the dynamic and positive and creative impulse of capitalism

…………and I see the trolls are out in force today, infecting several threads. nonfactor is one of their reigning Queens, so beware……..

Janos Hunyadi on October 19, 2008 at 5:58 PM

You know….I’m starting to like the idea of an Obama White House and a Dem super-majority in Congress. Why?

With all of this hypnotic kool-aid induced mania for “Change”; a whole helluva lot of people are putting there asses on the line for a Marxist smoke-and-mirrors empty suit, who is about to inherit the fruits of 16 years of DemoKrat Machiavellian scorched-earth politics.

The fruits? A crumbling financial market and an Islamic resurgence in the form of a unified and cohesive military terrorist machine. A machine that wears no uniform and displays no national flag.

Good luck with those tax increases. And REAL good luck with the U.N. and the “criminal war” against global Jihad. Oh and remember moonbats: No cutting of bloated bureaucracies and absolutely NO INVASIONS OF ANY COUNTRIES.

Yeah- good luck staving off this impending avalanche.
I’m gonna SOOOO love all that pissing, moaning, and armchair quarterbacking I’m about to engage in.

hehehehe……..*rubs hands together in evil schadenfreudian delight*…..

FiveWays on October 19, 2008 at 5:58 PM

JiangxiDad on October 19, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Thank you for your kind words *blush*. He’s not so much scared of Palin’s religiosity as embarrassed to be associated with it when she’s running for office. It *is* embarrassing, you know, when you move in such witty and bitchy circles. Personally I hope Mrs Smith Goes to Washington and cuts off their expense accounts.

Fortunata on October 19, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Fortunata on October 19, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Now that get, loud and clear. LOL!

JiangxiDad on October 19, 2008 at 6:09 PM

sb “I get”

JiangxiDad on October 19, 2008 at 6:09 PM

FiveWays on October 19, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Unfortunately my heartache at witnessing the erosion of Western civilisation at the hands of Islamists would outweigh my schadenfreude at knowing it was the liberals’ fault. They, of course, would deny any culpability, and would see such civilisation as only fit to be destroyed anyway. Read about the Weathermen’s political views and see. Or see what political correctness has done to our liberal arts colleges.

Fortunata on October 19, 2008 at 6:11 PM

“on the premise that Obama won’t be as left-wing in office as his background suggests” – Jews 1932

- The Cat

MirCat on October 19, 2008 at 6:22 PM

Fortunata on October 19, 2008 at 6:11 PM

They can only deny any culpability for so long. Sooner or later, even the idiots that make up at least half this country will tire of the DemoKrats deflection of blame towards the evil Republicans. Especially after the Dems control all of Washington for 2 solid years. Will it be painful? You bet. But it will also be necessary. And I will keep repeating the mantra, “Hey, I didn’t vote for these America-hating Socialist!”

Yeah, I’m going to be insufferable. And I’m going to rub their f#cking faces in it.

FiveWays on October 19, 2008 at 6:28 PM

- The Cat

MirCat on October 19, 2008 at 6:22 PM

We all need to file that little gem away for safe keeping.
Hitchens is going to wear that smelly turd like a chain around his neck. Bank on it!

FiveWays on October 19, 2008 at 6:30 PM

What a fucking nitwit.

For those who, like Hitchens here, are supporting their endorsement of Obama by quoting one of his twelve positions on a given issue as The Right One.

What on earth has Obama even done or said – aside from one idiotic attempt at bravado on Pakistan – that would give a supporter in the war on terror any reason to believe that he should be allowed near weapons or sharp objects?

That Hitchens is a socialist at least gives him an ideological hiding place with Obama, but his WOT claims are simply ridiculous and make him look stupid.

Jaibones on October 19, 2008 at 6:55 PM

econavenger on October 19, 2008 at 5:48 PM

Thanks for the link.

TheBigOldDog on October 19, 2008 at 6:57 PM

I never figured him for a cheap date.

Oh, c’mon. When he blamed O’s problems on Michelle? When he waxed poetic about supporting O for the glorious crusade to invade Pakistan?

I’d like to hear Ingraham ask Hitch, “Do you really want to be allied in your thinking with….Peggy Noonan?”

Either that or put him in a room with VDH for an hour with a hidden mike — he doesn’t seem to handle that well, either.

Nichevo on October 19, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Right_of_Attila on October 19, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Bing.

Jaibones on October 19, 2008 at 7:00 PM

This decision by Hitchens is living proof that you can be an intellectual and still be a fool.

Deanna on October 19, 2008 at 7:32 PM

People have forgotten the nature of the beast. Hitchens, as someone pointed out, is a communist. For a brief and exhilarating moment, his views and the views of many conservatives were confluent but he was always just a visitor. He is/was an extremely effective partisan on the WOT because as a Leftist he was able to argue for self-preservation from that vantage point.
Christopher Hitchens has nothing else in common with people of a conservative bent.

thegreatbeast on October 19, 2008 at 7:36 PM

I’m not very religious, but I don’t get the religious-bashers….it’s the only thing that will stop isslam!

You think metrosexual commies like Barry Obama and Hairless Reid will stand up to radical isslam?

Barry is already grabbing his ankles (or colluding with them).

Let’s roll.

ex-Democrat on October 19, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Hitchens lives in DC, so his vote won’t change the electoral college results.

slp on October 19, 2008 at 7:40 PM

I think a lot of folks talking about Hitchens here really are ascribing attributes to him that he never possessed.
He was and still is, as best I recall, a Socialist of the first order. He has never shied away from that position to my knowledge.

He started walking on thin ice with the left in the early nineties with his unrelenting attacks on the Clinton’s, grifters that they were. The Nation crowd was not happy. However he still attacked the Repubs and the right whenever he felt necessary. Kissinger and Mother Theresa come to mind.

He was cut off from the left when, in a shock to many both left and right, he supported the war. He has been an honorary conservative since–but not an actual conservative. He is still a Socialist. Outside of the war I’m sure he supports most of Obama’s social programs and spending.

It’s an easy switch now with war in Iraq going better and Obama’s chest thumping about Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Rather than scream at him I’ll thank him for his Clinton attacks and his fervent support for the war. I will make a prediction–if Obama starts dropping the ball on terror, Hitchens will turn on him in a minute.

patrick neid on October 19, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Bing.

Jaibones on October 19, 2008 at 8:37 PM

The iconoclast atheist endorses the Messiah?

Socialism makes strange bedfellows.

29Victor on October 19, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Deanna on October 19, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Yep. And Laura had him squirming a bit.

This thread has inspired some of the best commentary I’ve seen on this site.

MrLynn on October 20, 2008 at 12:06 AM

“I think Buckley is a believer. Hitch isn’t. he’s just protecting his arse.”

I can understand a conservative being upset with Palin’s selection and deciding not to suport the Republican ticket. I cannot understand this new found love of Obama and all things liberal.

Remember the Democratic outing campaign of 2006. This not only outed Gays, but also attempted to push dirt on any Republicans. Who is to say that blackmail is not being used to push some of these who say they will support Obama.

I recall Buckley is in a fight for not wanting to support a child.

davod on October 20, 2008 at 12:58 AM

MB4 on October 19, 2008 at 3:18 PM

I can see your point on that. Not a loss then. Laura ripped him pretty good. He did teeter back and forth.

sheebe on October 20, 2008 at 1:50 AM

One stated why can’t anyone remember what Obama says after his speeches? It is a technique that was banned in Russia. Can’t remember the name. He basically brain washes them. Or hypnotizes them. I know it sounds nuts.

sheebe on October 20, 2008 at 1:53 AM

davod on October 20, 2008 at 12:58 AM

I know it sounds nuts.

sheebe on October 20, 2008 at 1:53 AM

No not at all.

***
Laura Ingraham is great on radio but I can’t get into her video broadcasts. Hitch, no matter what you think of him, is a great guest and interview subject…great.

Laura blew it with this one. Let him put his fat feet into his own mouth LI, please.

The Race Card on October 20, 2008 at 2:14 AM

Let me see… who was the last Democrat to run to the center… Oh, yeah. Bill Clinton. How did that middle class tax cut work out? Oh, you mean he didn’t cut taxes for the middle class? You mean he gave a speech where he apologized and said he thought he raised taxes too much too? But he did cut them then either? Well slap my face and call me gullible.

CC – BHO: “my Muslim faith”

CapedConservative on October 20, 2008 at 2:35 AM

Hitchens is a liberal atheist and he is horrified of a Christianist taking office. That’s all. He’s also deeply a man of the left and his heart yearns to rejoin his brotherhood and Palin gave him the necessary excuse and the cover.

promachus on October 20, 2008 at 7:44 AM

The bottom line is that Hitchens cannot accept that Sarah Palin has any brains.

Is Hitchens’ underlying misogyny showing? Or is it Hitchens’ intellectual elitism finding a connection with intellectualism and elitism of Obama?

Maybe he should talk to Sarah a few hours.

Obama is the fool and McCain is right. You don’t tell anyone that you are sending drones and Special Forces into Pakistan. You just do it, kill bin Laden, and hope that no one finds out who did it for 30 or 40 years.

slp on October 20, 2008 at 7:53 AM

I hate to say this, but we nominated the wrong man. First of all, McCain is not a true conservative. Look at his policies on global warming,illegal immigration, drilling in Anwar, and even offshore drilling. Second, he has not been able to clearly articulate his positions during the debates and he does appear “scattered” or “erratic”.

Granted, I was not an early supporter but I tried to become more enthusiastic and support our candidate but in the end I still have reservations. I will vote for him because I am vehemently opposed to the policies and associations of Obama, not because I am ardently supporting John McCain.

justdianne on October 20, 2008 at 11:37 AM