Open thread: Palinmania on SNL

posted at 10:52 pm on October 18, 2008 by Allahpundit

Will they keep it light, or will Lorne and co. gratify the wettest wet dreams of HuffPo and dKos by sandbagging her with some sort of “Don’t vote for this woman!” ambush? Either way, the long-awaited confrontation between the ‘Cuda and the woman who claims she’ll have to leave Earth if Palin wins makes it worth watching. Weigh in below. While we wait, food for thought from Fred Barnes:

In the weeks after the convention, she was limited to two major TV interviews. When she did poorly in one–the Katie Couric interview–Democrats and hostile columnists unloaded, calling her unqualified to be vice president. There was little contrary evidence in the press by which to judge her or defend her.

I asked Palin whether she’d do things differently if she could repeat those weeks. She answered by silently mouthing “yes.” When two aides–we were on a McCain-Palin bus with staff and security–said “yes” aloud, she chimed in, “Yes, yes, yes, yes.”…

Now, despite her political talent, Palin’s future is unclear.

Comments

Um – when was the last time that DU was more right than wrong about anything (don’t they usually come out around 50-50 on whether the sky is blue or water is wet?)

CK MacLeod on October 19, 2008 at 3:36 AM

That thread is a scream. They’re taking Alec Baldwin’s opening rant seriously – they actually dug it, and thought it was cool the way he got in her face. They thought he really made her look bad! ROTFLMAO

capitalist piglet on October 19, 2008 at 3:45 AM

HalJordan on October 19, 2008 at 3:43 AM

No, no. Powell is Defense. Sheehan is the new Secretary of Peace.

Enoxo on October 19, 2008 at 3:46 AM

I find this DU thread incredible.

They are thanking NBC for making a fool of Palin, and they don’t think Palin is in on the joke.

I seriously can’t believe how stupid these people are. Palin was GREAT.

capitalist piglet on October 19, 2008 at 3:30 AM

I’m seriously considering either trolling that site or attacking it… I don’t know which probably both.

Cr4sh Dummy on October 19, 2008 at 3:47 AM

capitalist piglet on October 19, 2008 at 3:45 AM

That’s liberal comprehension for you. They’re utterly stupid. They actually think she REFUSED to do the second skit, and the other actress had to pick up to keep the show running–when it was written that way.

Enoxo on October 19, 2008 at 3:47 AM

and this gave Governor Palin a chance to show that she’s actually an articulate, attractive woman, who isn’t the fluffy airhead Fey portrays…but she also demonstrates that she can laugh at herself, and has a great personality.

This was a terrific thing. It honestly was.

capitalist piglet on October 19, 2008 at 3:39 AM

I was thinking something similar. I almost think Tina Fey was doing herself and Palin a favor – exaggerating the fluffy airheadedness of the caricature in a way that helps both of them get past it. If and when Fey does it again, she’ll have to handle it differently. The physical differences between the two – Palin’s grace and her healthy glow, Fey’s lack of same – also accentuated how far Fey’s Palin is from the real thing. It might actually lead some people who’ve gotten to know the caricature better than the actual politician to think again, to separate the two.

CK MacLeod on October 19, 2008 at 3:50 AM

And Enoxo, it’s almost universal over there. They are practically unaninimous in thinking this was a disaster for Governor Palin. They actually took Baldwin’s rant and the stuff you mentioned seriously.

Un. Friggin’. Believable.

Cr4sh, you should troll it. I tried for a while, but I’m too transparent. I lasted about fifty posts. It’s sort of like riding an electronic bull…”How long can I pretend to be a stupid leftist tool without getting ‘tombstoned’?”

capitalist piglet on October 19, 2008 at 3:52 AM

Exactly right, CK. This was a HUGE win for her.

capitalist piglet on October 19, 2008 at 3:53 AM

Enoxo on October 19, 2008 at 3:47 AM

I’m sorry that’s a bit too stupid to be believed. Or did you stumble upon the 4-year-old’s section at DU?

CK MacLeod on October 19, 2008 at 3:53 AM

The DU is a trainwreck of human thought. I surfed their forums on election night in 2004 after Bush won just for sport. It was quite a spectacle. I hope to do the same thing again in a couple of weeks.

rsrobinson on October 19, 2008 at 3:57 AM

Direct quote: “They actually made her ADMIT to not wanting to do the rap…she looked stupid.. like, why was she there?”

Another: “The opening wasn’t even funny IMO. Weekend Updates was only funny because they were making fun of her and she was dancing along like the moron she is. I guess liberal elitist comedy is over her head. LOL”

And one more: “I’m surprised she went along with it all. Maybe she doesn’t get it? At the same time, she seemed pretty pissed most of the time, so maybe she just went along with it begrudgingly? It was strange. She definitely didn’t seem happy. I agree with some of the others, that it seems like there’s more to the story. I can’t wait to hear what Palin’s version of it is. ‘The evil media elite took advantage of me, did you see how they treated me, boohoo, vote for me.'”

Aaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahah…ROTFLMAO!

capitalist piglet on October 19, 2008 at 3:58 AM

I’d rather not think any more tonight about DU-level consciousness – if that’s the right word. Just keep in mind that there are a lot of drugs and youth and isolation from normal life over in those zones.

The only real question is whether and Republican crowds will take up the “I say Obama/you say Ayers” cheer.

To show you what a junkie I am, I even just made a point of watching the sign-off to see whether Josh Brolin really wiped his hand and to see the cast member hugging her. No on the former, yes and it looked very sincere on the latter.

Enough! Good show and good night!

CK MacLeod on October 19, 2008 at 4:04 AM

Liberals are ridiculous.

Cardiganfox on October 19, 2008 at 4:06 AM

I can confirm that, too. He didn’t wipe his hand on his pants (good grief!), and she got a giant, very sincere hug!

So cool. I loved it. I am so proud of that woman – she is just great.

capitalist piglet on October 19, 2008 at 4:08 AM

So cool. I loved it. I am so proud of that woman – she is just great.

capitalist piglet on October 19, 2008 at 4:08 AM

Yeah, I was totally shocked by the hug and stared at it that I thought maybe I didn’t catch the hand-wipe that DUmmies said happened.

Glad it didn’t. Maybe some liberals have class.

Enoxo on October 19, 2008 at 4:21 AM

Sarah’s a natural. As for her political future: She’s going to run for POTUS in 2012, and she’s totally gonna win!

You betcha!

Mr. Wednesday Night on October 19, 2008 at 4:23 AM

Nope, the News guy at the end told Palin she was smart not
doing the rap…watch it again. The crowd infact roared
with applause when Palin was doing the hand raising gestures….it was spectacular. And Tina Fey seem happy
to get mocked in the skit… Palin looked like a genius…a gorgeous one at that.

The crowd loved Palin…and it appeared that Tina Fey’s
mocking had trasformed into a dud, wiped out by Palin’s
authenticity. Liberal elitist comedy was destroyed by
Palin’s presence on the show. Yippie!!!

And one more: “I’m surprised she went along with it all. Maybe she doesn’t get it? At the same time, she seemed pretty pissed most of the time, so maybe she just went along with it begrudgingly? It was strange. She definitely didn’t seem happy. I agree with some of the others, that it seems like there’s more to the story. I can’t wait to hear what Palin’s version of it is. ‘The evil media elite took advantage of me, did you see how they treated me, boohoo, vote for me.’”

Nope, Palin got it, went to the enemy and disarmed them.
And maybe even won them over. Palin forced the angry liberals to mock themselves….by just being there.

Palin won tonight….

dec5 on October 19, 2008 at 4:34 AM

The videos are on nbc’s site. Finally saw the rap. The moose made me laugh. Sarah came out looking very very hip (assuming people still use that word).

Ronnie on October 19, 2008 at 5:07 AM

That was hilarious. Obama – AYERS!

lodge on October 19, 2008 at 5:32 AM

Ayers is not a lost cause, it’s the whole reason Obama is worth a fuck. Not Ayers, actually. Dohrn.

When Annenberg was coming up with his $500 mil challenge, he talked to Newton Minow, senior counsel of Sidley & Austin, chairman of the Carnegie Corporation (1993–1997), Annenberg Professor of Communications Law and Policy at Northwestern University (1987–2003) and director of its Annenberg Washington Program (1987–1996).

Who was interning for Sidley & Austin? Why Barack Obama, of course. You know who were regular employees? One Michelle Robinson (Obama) and one Bernadine Dohrn. It just so happens that the authors of the winning grant proposal for the Chicago Annenberg Grant were: William Ayers, Anner Hallet, and Warren Chapman.

Does anyone else find it a little shady that members of the law firm consulted by Annenberg just happened to have spouses that wrote winning grant proposals? And that one of the final board members was Susan Blankenbaker Noyes, former labor attorney at Sidley & Austin; daughter of Republican former Indiana state senator Virginia Murphy Blankenbaker; goddaughter of Patricia Albjerg Graham? Patricia Albjerg Graham just happened to be the woman who agreed to be the vice chairman if Barack Obama accepted the chairmanship.

Obama is connected more closely with Dohrn, which is why the Ayers thing is not quite panning out as it should. True, they are married, but Dohrn was far more radical than Ayers. The SDS birthed two movements – the Revolutionary Youth Movement 2 (Klonsky) and the Revolutionary Youth Movement 1 (Ayers, Dohrn, and the other Weathermen). Dohrn is FAR more radical than her beta male counterpart Ayers.

Bernadine Dohrn said, “Dig it! First they killed those pigs and then they put a fork in their bellies. Wild!” concerning the Tate-Bianca murders. Go read her Wiki article. She’s the real link into Barack Obama.

flashoverride on October 19, 2008 at 5:50 AM

The only thing worriesome about DU is that there were alot of Obama ads during the show. Hopefully, most people watched on the web like I did.

petunia on October 19, 2008 at 7:01 AM

OT: DU DUmmies plotting to disrupt ‘Cuda’s rallies

Thinking of joining an anti-Palin protest at a Palin rally. Pro-tips please?

Stay classy, Democrats.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 19, 2008 at 12:54 AM

I wouldn’t worry tooo much about that. They tried to do that in NH and a bunch of 65+ year old ladies kicked the sh!t out of them… No seriously….

Palin stumps in New Hampshire

After the Laconia rally, however, two men said they were roughed up by McCain supporters after they began chanting Obama’s name. One had a black eye with a trace of blood, and they said they complained to police. A Laconia police spokesman said the two men had disrupted the event and had been ejected. (Watch the video to the left to hear the two men’s accounts.)

You’ve got to watch the video (second on on page, near the end of the article) to hear who they say “roughed them up”…. a bunch of elderly women – ROFLMAO!!!!

TheBigOldDog on October 19, 2008 at 7:26 AM

Sarah Palin’s debut on SNL was disappointing. The satire was extremely one sided, mean spirited and humorless last night, and took the fun out of it. In spite of that and the fact that Lorne Michaels stacked the deck by surrounding Sarah Palin with some of Hollywood’s most hateful leftists, she, unlike the angry Tina Fey and company, proved that she is a class act. She hit yet another home run.

sinsing on October 19, 2008 at 7:36 AM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 19, 2008 at 12:54 AM

These folks are going to be providing security against the DU thugs

TheBigOldDog on October 19, 2008 at 7:36 AM

After watching Sarah Palin on SNL, it confirmed my opinion of her and the SNL cast. She is a classy American. SThe SNL cats memebers are not.

afotia on October 19, 2008 at 8:02 AM

Think these MSM retards are getting away with this crap?

Read this…

And don’t forget to boycott General Electric products!

Keemo on October 19, 2008 at 8:27 AM

Uhh…That’s if McCain doesn’t want to run for re-election.

jgapinoy on October 19, 2008 at 8:28 AM

Now, despite her political talent, Palin’s future is unclear.

I’d say Sarah’s political future is very bright. Sarah came on board the McCain ticket at a time when McCain had little or no momentum heading into the GOP convention. With Sarah, came energy, excitement, and a feeling of hope.

Think of the McCain campaign before Sarah was added to the ticket. Dull, Boring, and Glum…

Keemo on October 19, 2008 at 8:30 AM

What McCain and Palin have had against them is nothing short of remarkable. They have to rally against not only most of the media, but NBC scheduling “entertainment” shows in prime time shortly before an election for the sole purpose of insulting them.

It seems to me that it is most appropriate for McCain to demand equal time.

This is a portent of the future. You’re watching what the non-contributing majority taking control of the productive minority.

File it away for now, but this is what it will be like. There will be an Obama promising to take more from us and “spread it around” there will be nothing we can do about it.

drjohn on October 19, 2008 at 8:40 AM

GE/NBC Universal is a total disaster. Look at their stock price.

Talk about going in the tank.

indythinker on October 19, 2008 at 8:42 AM

I’ll bet Sarah did for SNL ratings what Mac did for Letterman’s. But anyone who tuned in had to be disappointed. What a boring, totally unfunny show. Just like I remember it.

james23 on October 19, 2008 at 8:47 AM

Despite the media, ACORN, and hundreds of millions of illegal campaign contributions flooding in for Obama, McCain/Palin are now within (2) points (ZOGBY: Obama 47.8%, McCain 45.1%…) as we close in on November 4th.

35% of Americans are in the bag for any Liberal, even if that person was Hugo Chavez. Thank God for the remaining 65%! At least the remaining 65% take a good look before pulling the lever.

Keemo on October 19, 2008 at 8:56 AM

indythinker on October 19, 2008 at 8:42 AM

I hope they file chapter (7) during my lifetime so I can celebrate the defeat of a company that did it’s best to take down the very country that gave it a chance to become something special, something useful, something unique.

Keemo on October 19, 2008 at 8:59 AM

Cr4sh Dummy on October 19, 2008 at 3:47 AM

When you are sharing the cell with the kid who got into Palin’s email account be sure to say hi for us.

Bradky on October 19, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Palin in the intro to SNL and on Weekend Update. Guaranteed not to be taken down. I think she did really well.

Carl in Jerusalem on October 19, 2008 at 9:09 AM

Powell’s on MTP, knocking McCain for his response to the economic crisis, and his pick of Governor Palin. Now he’s singing the praises of Obama. Criticizing McCain for bringing up Ayers.

It’s a f*#?ing commercial for Obama.

Jeebus. Just come out & say it already Colin and avoid the grandstanding.

Purple Fury on October 19, 2008 at 9:10 AM

Glen Johnson wrote of “Palin’s husband, Todd,” running around the stage with the actors and moose, AS IF.

maverick muse on October 19, 2008 at 9:11 AM

Purple Fury on October 19, 2008 at 9:10 AM

Yeah, coz Obama’s response was so much better… oh wait… he didn’t do ANYTHING. He had to stay in study hall for his debate until Bush called him back.

Skywise on October 19, 2008 at 9:19 AM

Breaking News: Colin Powell Officially Endorses Barack Obama

SoulGlo on October 19, 2008 at 9:25 AM

old news: Colin Powell endorses B. HOOVER O.

maverick muse on October 19, 2008 at 9:27 AM

Breaking News: Colin Powell Officially Endorses Barack Obama

SoulGlo on October 19, 2008 at 9:25 AM

Shocka. A despicable man who lied to the UN about Iraq. Oh wait, we like and respect him now.

Skywise on October 19, 2008 at 9:27 AM

flashoverride on October 19, 2008 at 5:50 AM

Actually, Dorhn is the real link to MICHELLE OBAMA, who I think is the catalyst behind BO. Besides Soros.

ctmom on October 19, 2008 at 9:29 AM

ot: colin powell has backed obama now, he is spewing obamas leave iraq bs word for word already :( sad day…

trailortrash on October 19, 2008 at 9:37 AM

Just watched the skit. I think it was pretty well done. Sarah is just awesome . This to me just showed she can have some fun with it a little. Now to get to Nov 4th and kick some ass. :)

johnnyU on October 19, 2008 at 9:40 AM

Powell would do ANYTHING to vindicate his “reputation” as a bitter, ignorant fool by teaching America vengeance is a dish best served cold. Bush was never a conservative. And it isn’t GWB that Powell’s getting even with because this endorsement is at the expense of the conservative movement, not Bush’s, and Powell plays the saboteur proudly.

So Powell never was a conservative, either, so his endorsement is based upon his alignment with Obama’s racism, the black liberation movement. Whites need not apply. Whites can’t get it. Just get “W” whitey whatever.

Good to know who your political enemies are. Now there’s no room for giving Powell any benefit of the doubt. By endorsing Obama, Powell endorses Ayers/Dohrn and all domestic terrorists. What an ass.

maverick muse on October 19, 2008 at 9:42 AM

I thought she did good. She definitely has a good sense of humor. She’s got some good moves too, during that rap :)). I’m actually going to give Baldwin some kudos. I’m surprised he wasn’t afraid he was going to melt if he got that close to a conservative.

vcferlita on October 19, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Powell endorses Obama; the black guy endorses the black guy…

Geez, real surprise there.

Keemo on October 19, 2008 at 9:47 AM

Think these MSM retards are getting away with this crap?

Read this…

And don’t forget to boycott General Electric products!

Keemo on October 19, 2008 at 8:27 AM

Exactly, hit them in the pocketbook. Boycott Hollywood, GE, Microsoft, and the MSM.

Put them out of business.

hawkdriver on October 19, 2008 at 9:52 AM

maverick muse on October 19, 2008 at 9:42 AM

Look for Powell to become the lefts brand new darling; a book deal will come soon, and he will replace Al Gore as the lefts new legend in his own mind.

No room for big Al now, he served his purpose and was rewarded very well. No room for the whitey in the newly revised lefty world. All whitey’s, get under that bus!

Keemo on October 19, 2008 at 9:53 AM

Powell endorses Obama; the black guy endorses the black guy…

Geez, real surprise there.

Keemo on October 19, 2008 at 9:47 AM

Watch an interview. Powell was distressed that accusations were made about him being a Muslim and a Socialist.

Um, former SOS Smart guy, McCain defended Obama of the Muslim charge and pppssst, he is a Socialist. But hey, if you’re so keen on higher taxes, pay mine.

hawkdriver on October 19, 2008 at 9:54 AM

hawkdriver on October 19, 2008 at 9:52 AM

Don’t forget the Disney Corp; Westinghouse; Viacom, & Time Warner…

Shut these Liberal-Socialist machines down!

Keemo on October 19, 2008 at 9:56 AM

Janine Turner on Fox talking up Sarah’s SNL appearance and qualifications.

The DU guys are going to say it’s only because she was in Alaska for Northern Exposure.

:-)

I have always loved Janine Turner,

hawkdriver on October 19, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Move over Scott McClellan.

lodge on October 19, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Geez, real surprise there.

Keemo on October 19, 2008 at 9:47 AM

Oh, but they’re beyond the politics of race!

My Aunt Fanny.

olmojoe on October 19, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Keemo on October 19, 2008 at 9:53 AM

The same leftists who proclaimed him a liar for his statement to Iraq.

So the FIRST question out of any responsbile interviewers mouth should be “Do you now repudiate your statements to the UN.”

He cannot answer that question. If he says yes, then his endorsement is meaningless because he “lied” then. If he says yes but he was duped by the CIA, then his endorsement (to any person with a brain cell) would be worthless. If he says no, then his current statements on Iraq are meaningless.

Either way, it gives proof to the lie that this isn’t a pick purely on racial preferences.

Skywise on October 19, 2008 at 10:00 AM

I have always loved Janine Turner,

hawkdriver on October 19, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Janine Turner is good people. One of the reasons she moved away from Hollywood was so that she could raise her family away from that toxic cess-pit. Her doing that and standing up for her principles has most definitely impacted on her career–she was poised for really big things in the media limelight–but principles and family came first for her.

Matt Helm on October 19, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Keemo on October 19, 2008 at 9:56 AM

Amen Keemo. Out of the group the only one I have any business with is Time Warner. Only way to get internet here. But no books or periodicals that come off a TW press.

But I haven’t been to a movie since American Carol and have only been to two a the theater in the last year. I dumped my PC for an IMAC and refuse to buy any MS Software and will not watch MSNBC or NBC affiliate. No GE, no Disney, no way…

hawkdriver on October 19, 2008 at 10:04 AM

Breaking News: Colin Powell Officially Endorses Barack Obama

SoulGlo on October 19, 2008 at 9:25 AM

So a Bush administration official, who worked diligently to get approval for the invasion of Iraq, endorses based pretty much solely on race, and this is a good thing for Obama? OK

Vashta.Nerada on October 19, 2008 at 10:05 AM

Skywise on October 19, 2008 at 10:00 AM

I could be both–payback to Cheney and Bush for sending him to the U.N. with bad intel and a belief that Obama’s election would bring a positive advance in race relations.

dedalus on October 19, 2008 at 10:06 AM

dedalus on October 19, 2008 at 10:06 AM

And if he was suckered into being the fall guy, we should trust his opinion now?

He’s just your typical lib. Will change his opinion and views and ideology because today he FEELS like voting for this guy…

Skywise on October 19, 2008 at 10:10 AM

As for Powell endorsing Obama: Meh. Most people will see it as what it is–a combination of race and bad feelings towards Bush and Cheney as dedalus pointed out. However, if dedalus is correct as regards Powell’s belief that Obama’s election would bring a positive advance in race relations, then it reveals that Powell is being incredibly naive in this instance. If anything, it has polarized them even more and Powell’s endorsement will only serve to reinforce that polarization–unintended consequences.

Matt Helm on October 19, 2008 at 10:13 AM

dedalus on October 19, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Or he could be a whole lot stupider than we thought.’

Fact, credit given to Powell for first Gulf War success would be more appropriately given to Dick Cheney and Tommy Franks.

Fact, although Powell led the charge to go to war with Iraq with evidence that everybody at the time believed, to include Gore, Clinton, Un and Kerry; Powell later threw out the claim he made to GW Bush that if you break it you bought it and withdrew from his responsibilities and criticized the administration and the conduct of the war at the beginning of the insurgency. Thanks Colin!

He’s says he is still a Republican amid this endorsement and he says he won’t campaign for Obama. We’re not stupid Powell, we heard the interview you did with your endorsement. You’re already campaigning for him.

Its time for us insignificant little pions of the Republican Party, who everyone seems to be so embarrassed of to start being heard. Loudly, because we get a say what our party is and believes. If you don’t believe in at least the core tenets, don’t let the door hit you in the ass.

hawkdriver on October 19, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Skywise on October 19, 2008 at 10:10 AM

He’s always been a moderate, not even a declared Republican until a few years ago. He’s pro choice and favors some affirmative action programs. Obama’s positions on social issues probably aren’t that far away from Powell’s own.

On military issues, he saw the Powell Doctrine shredded by Rumsfeld, to poor effect. What’s too bad is that McCain’s views on torture and use of the military are closer to Powell’s than they are to Bush’s.

dedalus on October 19, 2008 at 10:19 AM

dedalus on October 19, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Still played politics with the war.

hawkdriver on October 19, 2008 at 10:23 AM

dedalus on October 19, 2008 at 10:06 AM

If Powell believes that Obama’s election will improve race relations in this country, then he’s dumber than I suspected.

AZCoyote on October 19, 2008 at 10:24 AM

hawkdriver on October 19, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Franks was in charge of one division in 1991. Schwarzkopf commanded the coalition forces. Powell favored containment over invasion. He should have thrown out more of the intel that he receive for his UN presentation. His regret over that presentation probably in part motivates his Obama endorsement.

dedalus on October 19, 2008 at 10:29 AM

I missed SNL last night, but just some catching up on Hulu.com She was great, of course. Even the rap was funny :-)

Ordinary1 on October 19, 2008 at 10:29 AM

AZCoyote on October 19, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Seriously. This election will incite racial hatred no matter who wins.

If McCain loses most folks will blame the blacks for voting racially.

If Obama loses a lot of blacks will go ballistic because the black guy was defeated by “the man”.

It will be ugly no matter what.

Guardian on October 19, 2008 at 10:30 AM

My God, the torture argument. Ask American soldiers who did the serious torturing…

“The film, (Al Qaeda) which is just over four-and-a-half minutes long, shows the bodies of two western-looking men dressed in camouflage uniforms. One of them, partially naked, had been beheaded and his chest cut open. The other’s face was bruised, his jaw apparently broken, and his leg had long gashes. Fighters were shown turning the bodies over and lifting the head of the decapitated man.”

Pfc. Kristian Menchaca and Pfc. Thomas Lowell Tucker were killed after being tortured by their captors outside of Youssifiyah and their bodies mutilated beyond recognition.

Powell never defended the US military against the NYTs or any other news outlet with any of these issues. We were relegated to as bad or worse than our enemies. Sure would have been nice for a guy like him to go to bat for us. Oh sorry, he was pouting about his doctrine.

hawkdriver on October 19, 2008 at 10:32 AM

She was great. It was actually funny. The DUers keep proving over and over again they’re a few tiles short of a bathroom floor. If we go by there reasoning, maybe we can say that the skit showed that Dems are backhanded and will badmouth you behind your back, then treat you like gold up front, but no, we won’t stoop to their conspiracy theory loony left level.

Tuari on October 19, 2008 at 10:33 AM

Look for Condi to endorse Obama soon. Huge pressure on all black politicians to support the black guy.

JC Watts and Michael Steele are solid Conservatives; however, the pressure on them must be unbearable.

This election is all about race, esp. on the side of black America. Nothing else matters, just the fact that Obama is black enough to be their candidate. Just as the idiot black rapper said recently, “it’s our turn now, enough with the whitey running the world.”

Headline news @ Drudge: Obama vows to ‘change the world’…

Locked in step, they are.

Keemo on October 19, 2008 at 10:34 AM

One other thing. SNL has a live TV audience. The crowed cheered for her, and when they introduced her, the staff genuinely cheered for her too. Seth gave a good applause and seemed to have a nice genuine smile. No eyerolling or anything. If they really wanted to mess around with her, you would of heard at least one “boo”, had an eyeroll or something.

Tuari on October 19, 2008 at 10:37 AM

dedalus on October 19, 2008 at 10:29 A

Roger, meant Schwarzkopf for first Gulf credit.

Containment didn’t protect the North of Iraq on the ground even with Northern watch. And he did initially favor invasion with the same evidence as everyone else. He went to the UN with the glass of water demo.

Aside from all of that, it doesn’t change the fact that he politicized the war after he left the administration.

hawkdriver on October 19, 2008 at 10:38 AM

AZCoyote on October 19, 2008 at 10:24 AM

He may be wrong, but his accomplishments in life would be difficult for a dumb person.

Obama in the White House demonstrates that, even at the highest level, you can succeed regardless of race. Powell as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs demonstrated the same to a military that had been segregated about 50 years earlier.

I don’t agree with Powell’s endorsement, and hope that Sarah Palin’s VP selection persuades enough women to pull the lever for McCain.

dedalus on October 19, 2008 at 10:38 AM

hawkdriver on October 19, 2008 at 10:38 AM

He was at war with Rumsfeld and Cheney during the lead up to the invasion. The biggest shortcoming of Iraq was Bush’s inability to pull his State Department and DOD together.

dedalus on October 19, 2008 at 10:41 AM

I thought the update was fine. Heck, our VP is hot and can dance, while cleaning up corruption in her own party. What’s the other side got? hahaha

aikidoka on October 19, 2008 at 10:43 AM

What Powell lost me is that he stated americans do not care about Ayers and how stupid to bring that up. Well, Mr. Powell I am stupid because that when Obama became unacceptable to me.
Anyone can say anything on the trail but when you look at what they have done it tells the true story. Since Obama has not done anything I judged by the people he hung around with. To me, Ayers has never said he was wrong and in fact stated he did not do enough. I would not vote for a democrat but it made Hillary infinetely better in my eyes.
If Ayers was so unimportant, why did Obama need to lie about it?
I guess I am not elite enough for him either. Oh well life goes on.

Gracelynn on October 19, 2008 at 10:44 AM

dedalus on October 19, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Me too, but in a bigger and more long term sense, it’s troublesome to hear folks who claim to be Republicans like Powell jump ship so easily. Having served under Powell, it’s just ironic that a lot of us who watched the tube while deployed; listening to some of the indictments made by him of the administration thought whose side is he on.

hawkdriver on October 19, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Has Powell ever been registered Republican or is it just that he worked for Republican administrations?

aikidoka on October 19, 2008 at 10:51 AM

dedalus on October 19, 2008 at 10:41 AM

I believe Powells trepidations are overstated in his favor to protect his little chunk of history myself. He’ll just have to live with the fact that he wasn’t on board the entire way to victory. Even if there were some truth to his hesitance, which I really don’t believe, all nation that go to war content with disagreements in how to prosecute the war. Once you’re in, you’re in all the way or you do a disservice, or worse, to the troops you have on the ground. Having been there, that’s my condemnation of him. But hey, compared to Kerry and Murtha saying we were as bad as the hun and most of the Democrats in Washington covertly or not, crossing their fingers and hoping for us to lose, I guess Powell wasn’t so bad.

hawkdriver on October 19, 2008 at 10:51 AM

I can care less about Powell’s support of Obama. He hasn’t been in the news since he left Secretary office. I think the real reason he’s endorsing Obama is, like Michael Reagan said, the Rep party screwed him over with hanging the Iraq war on his head. Michael knows him a lot better than any of us do, so I’m obliged to take him at his word on that. I don’t think it’d sway many people either way. I’m sure the media will try to trump it up as much as they can, but I’d like to believe that people are finally becoming wise to all the BS the media is pulling.

That being said, can we get an open thread for Powell? I’m still ranting about the DU rants about Palin on SNL…

The above backstage clip proves that she, Baldwin, and Lorne Michaels were all in on the act… although I guess DUers can’t let facts get in the way of their fantasies.

Tuari on October 19, 2008 at 10:53 AM

aikidoka on October 19, 2008 at 10:51 AM

It was just in he last couple of years he revealed he was a Republican. He stated on Fox news today he was still even after his endorsement of Obama.

hawkdriver on October 19, 2008 at 10:53 AM

I love to Troll over there as much as anyone, but I never let their comments upset me. It’s a little like being upset at the monkeys at the zoo flinging poo at you. That’s their job!

hawkdriver on October 19, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Guardian on October 19, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Really, do you or anyone you know plan to become rowdy if Sen. Obama wins? Why would I all of the sudden be upset with the black community for voting for DEMOCRATS, because that almost never happened in the past when the candidates have been white./sarc

Cindy Munford on October 19, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Lesson to future GOP leaders; learn from the Bush 43 administration, don’t ever reach across the isle to Liberals in disguise and think you will not live to regret the day you made that mistake.

Bush should have cleaned house upon taking control of the country. Rid his administration of every Liberal left over from the Clinton administration, for the good of his administration, for the good of country.

If Obama wins this thing, look at how quickly he will rid his administration of every Bush left over, and replace them with radicals of his choice. Obama will load the deck with Ayers types, and get on with Socializing this country as quickly as humanly possible.

Keemo on October 19, 2008 at 10:59 AM

That made me chuckle because it rings true.

Tuari on October 19, 2008 at 10:59 AM

I caught it on hulu too. The bit with Alec Baldwin had me laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes (and what a pleasant surprise for him to be so funny and civil!)

When the crowd exploded when she put her hands up during the rap, I was grinning like an idiot. I knew she’d do fine, but I didn’t expect that kind of reception.

[I always recall Tina Fey from Weekend Update with Jimmy Fallon — the last time SNL was funny — and I was saying on Friday that they should have Sarah play Tina in that role, but this was just as funny.]

[Also, Tina has consistently called Sarah charming and likeable. When she said she’d have to leave Earth if we win, she was clearly talking about her career. She doesn’t like being back at SNL (would you?) and would rather concentrate on 30 Rock.]

Tanya on October 19, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Guardian on October 19, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Cindy Munford on October 19, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Cindy, you know that’s not who we are. If there were elements of it in the news, I’d be suspicious that it were set up. Having said that, I’m still agonizing over, knowing that as badly as Democrats damaged the war effort and how much politics he specifically play with the war, accepting him as president at all let alone CinC. Nothing makes me more resigned as a soldier than to understand that our biggest detractors are now completely in charge.

hawkdriver on October 19, 2008 at 11:04 AM

You know – I was not happy that she decided to do this – But I WAS WRONG!

Here’s the video of BOTH skits. Bottom line: This was a BIG WIN for the McCain campaign! There is no end to this woman’s ability to turn adversity into a positive!

grtflmark on October 19, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Tanya on October 19, 2008 at 11:01 AM

I saw a clip of him on Bill Maher’s show admitting that the Dems in Congress had a huge part in the financial problems. I almost fainted. I guess it never occurs to these people if the behaved more rationally people may take them at least a bit more seriously.

Cindy Munford on October 19, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Cindy Munford on October 19, 2008 at 11:06 AM

It’s true Cindy, but hey, the evidence is overwhelming. I guess the media is trying at least to tone down the blame game until after they get their guy in, but they can’t cover this up.

hawkdriver on October 19, 2008 at 11:09 AM

hawkdriver on October 19, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Trust me, I will not be happy if he wins. We discouraged our older son from even considering the military when Pres. Clinton was in office, my husband is retired from D.O.D. As I have stated many times I don’t think Sen. Obama has a clue what he will be facing on a daily basis, in domestic security updates alone. I just resent Guardian’s attempt to lump the Right in with the mob mentality and to say that we would be upset because the same people who always vote for the Dems are going to vote for the Dems just isn’t logical

Cindy Munford on October 19, 2008 at 11:12 AM

hawkdriver on October 19, 2008 at 11:09 AM

The amount of stuff that is going to be revealed after he is elected is hurting my head. There is enough stuff percolating around now that should be looked into. Maybe in the long run it wouldn’t make any difference to most but the public isn’t even being given the opportunity to judge fairly.

Cindy Munford on October 19, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Palin upstaged Fey.

Fey knew it.

Fey hid from the camera at the end.

Checkmate.

Saltysam on October 19, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Cindy Munford on October 19, 2008 at 11:14 AM

I’d like to be a fly on the wall of one of the big three news rooms to see just how they rationalize what they broadcast.

hawkdriver on October 19, 2008 at 11:21 AM

hawkdriver on October 19, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Did you see the email Instapundit got? I don’t think rational is even in their vocabulary.

Cindy Munford on October 19, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Can anyone offer some directionfor a letter I wrote?
I wrote an open letter to Obama and sent a copy to McCain/Palin thru their website but it was returned. I would also like to publish it in a few newspapers, but they have a 200 word limit. How would I submit it to run as a “guest editorial” where it would fit? I’ve gone to a few papers but there is no link for that. Anyone have any knowledge or suggestions? I’ll post the letter in a minute or two.

(P.S. I posted this on another thread by mistake.)

NightmareOnKStreet on October 19, 2008 at 2:32 PM

An open letter to Senator Barack Obama:
Dear Senator Obama,
I watched the Alfred E. Smith Memorial Banquet with interest as you and Senator John McCain enjoyed a break from the campaign trail for a little light hearted comedy. I’d venture to say the whole country needed a break from politics and all the financial losses we’ve all suffered lately.
With that in mind, I’d like you to imagine the people watching this, hoping for a few laughs to help them forget their worries. Some have just lost their jobs and some, their homes. Young parents who have found their money so tight that in order to feed their children, they have to go hungry. Older, retired folks who watched in horror as their life savings disappeared in the course of a few days and who will soon be unable to pay for anything at all. All of whom looked to their future leaders to provide them with some measure of comfort and warmth in a lighthearted atmosphere, only to hear you say this:
&n bsp;

“…So tonight I’d like to talk about the economy.
Given all that’s happened these last few weeks on Wall St., it feels like an odd time to be dressed up in white tie, but I must say I got a great deal– rented the whole thing from the Treasury Dept. at a very good price.
Looking around tonight at all the gourmet food and champagne, it’s clear that no expenses were spared; it’s like an executive sales meeting at AIG.
But I don’t need to tell any of you that it’s been a scary time on the stock market with people losing their investments, their entire fortunes. It’s gotten so bad Bloomberg now has to take the subway
And while the collapse of the housing market’s been tough on every single homeowner, I think we all need to recognize that this crisis has been 8 times harder on John McCain
We been debating a lot of these economic issues over the course of the campaign, but lately things have been getting a bit tougher…”

Wow, Senator Obama, that’s some funny stuff you got there. YOU ARE THE ONE WHO IS OUT OF TOUCH WITH AMERICANS. You have proven beyond ALL doubt that you are every bit the elitist, latte sipping, arrogant tax & spend liberal your critics say you are. You just can’t wait to get your hands on the rest of what’s left of American’s hard earned money so you can “spread it around” and make us struggle even harder. How dare you mock our suffering! What POOR JUDGEMENT YOU HAVE SHOWN ONCE AGAIN. YOU, SIR, ARE NOT FIT TO LEAD. YOU ARE A DISGRACE!
Sincerely,
My Name
I don’t know if anyone here or at all shares my disgust over this, but I think it was obscene. If anyone wants to make this into a commercial, that would be okay with me. I just want to draw attention to it. I’d welcome any feedback or suggestions. Thanks for reading it.

NightmareOnKStreet on October 19, 2008 at 2:35 PM