Video: 12-year-old called racist for wearing Palin t-shirt

posted at 4:37 pm on October 17, 2008 by Allahpundit

Any proof that she actually was called any names? Nope, but that didn’t stop national media from trumpeting the lie that someone yelled “Kill him!” about Obama at one of Palin’s rallies last week. Consider this the logical end result of Murtha smearing his constituents by declaring them racist because they preferred Hillary to The One, of John Lewis comparing McCain to segregationists, of Obama surrogates accusing Republicans of racism, and of Obama himself musing about Maverick’s difficulties with people who don’t look like the people on the currency. It takes a lot of messaging to penetrate so deeply that even middle-schoolers start absorbing it, but Team Barry and their water carriers have been happy to oblige. The healer, they call him. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

[Anna on October 17, 2008 at 6:09 PM]

I never got it either, even when I was a kid. I think it was to leave the accused kid speechless, which was also a win. That’s mostly why I used that for comparison — charging someone with being racist makes no sense anymore.

[Janos Hunyadi on October 17, 2008 at 6:14 PM]

LOL, you may be right. The 28 WWII dads on our street were all army, so there was nothing but army. Most of the Navy dads were on the next block over. Maybe that’s why I remember it so.

(We have a no bananas, today.)

Dusty on October 17, 2008 at 7:05 PM

New Smyrna Beach Middle School fosters oppression, New Smyrna Beach Middle School fosters servitude, New Smyrna Beach Middle School fosters cruelty. Even more abominable is the fact that New Smyrna Beach Middle School fosters idiocy.

Tav on October 17, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Don’t worry, I’m taking a low dose aspirin every day.

Brat on October 17, 2008 at 5:17 PM

Not me, Brat. I’m just starting to drink a little earlier each day. Right now, I’m down to 10:22am.

BacaDog on October 17, 2008 at 7:24 PM

eh, political attire is banned from She took a chance, and they called her on it. Calling her racist over it is just wrong….
johnnyU on October 17, 2008 at 6:51 PM

I’ve looked very hard to find the Volusia County School Board Policies and Procedures Manual (in which resides the district’s Code of Student Conduct and Discipline which apparently is used by the middle school). I was unsuccessful.

Could you post where you got the information that students are not allowed to wear political attire? I know that such rules are usually made with respect to teachers, but are not normally made for students.

As for being called racist, she certainly handled it well. At least she didn’t throw gas on the fire by asking why the other students weren’t voting for the Caucasian man — that would have been too much stress in the lesson plan!

unclesmrgol on October 17, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Oh gawd. It’s “unacceptable” but we can use it as a “teachable moment.” I hate those liberal buzz words.

Brat on October 17, 2008 at 4:50 PM

You got that right.

Using this as an opportunity to indoctrinate students in leftism. And they wonder why kids today can’t spell, read, add, substact, etc.

Sapwolf on October 17, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Thats all libs have…If you don’t vote Obama you’re a racist or if you are black like him you’re an Uncle Tom or a sell out. Unbelieveable. Unacceptable. >>:(

mindhacker on October 17, 2008 at 8:06 PM

I’m not even sure why you raise that question? There’s no reason not to believe her. She’s just a little girl, and the story isn’t “shocking” by any means. The “kill him” nonsense, was some reporter (who we know are virtually all worshipers of The One) claiming to hear something, that after many interviews, appears never happened. I don’t know, I just don’t get comparing the 2 stories. We know kids, of all ages, are brainwashed with liberal nonsense at school, and if you’ve looked at pop culture and kids these days, you know it’s “cool to be black”, etc. (Not that I’m claiming there’s anything “uncool” about being black, but you know what I mean).

Even my 14 year old cousin said something like that this summer. She laughed McCain off for being old when I was having the briefest of conversations with my aunt. I said, oh, so let me guess, you like Obama? She’s like, “yeah”. After inquiring why, I was quickly informed “because he’s cool”, and that was it.

Wake up folks, we may just think the news media is biased, but keep in mind that these kids watch MTV etc., and it’s even worse at these outlets, as well as school. I remember asking a social studies teacher in junior high or elementary school, what the difference between Republican and Democrat was. His answer was 180 degrees from the truth. It was something to the effect of Democrats want to have lower taxes so everyone can keep the money they make, and Republicans are a bunch of rich people who want to take everyone’s tax money for themselves.

RightWinged on October 17, 2008 at 8:07 PM

Their parents probably have their TiVos recording Bill Maher 24/7.

Ryan Gandy on October 17, 2008 at 8:10 PM

What’s that saying? If you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth? If Obama loses, I fear that this message will have become true enough to incite riots, yet they continually accuse McCain/Palin of whipping up hostility.

angelat0763 on October 17, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Sapwolf on October 17, 2008 at 7:32 PM

I used to think statements like yours was hyperbole. Yesterday I was at a drugstore buying an item (OK, it was some candy). Apparently they had a 50-cent-off coupon for the candy, but it wouldn’t scan, so they were giving everbody the discount. The candy was $3.29. The clerk had to use a calculator to subtract fifty cents.

davidk on October 17, 2008 at 8:35 PM

i like turtles!

hillbillyjim on October 17, 2008 at 9:14 PM

BacaDog on October 17, 2008 at 7:24 PM

Heh, awesome.

Spirit of 1776 on October 17, 2008 at 9:33 PM

Lord almighty I ran into this same situation this evening on the way home from work. Stopped into the local QuikStop for a six-pack. The clerk asked for ID of the fella in front of me as he tried to buy a Keystone 24oz. No ID, no beer started a ruckus which ended with ‘I hate Bush and all those MFrs’, then the calls of racism and threats of lawsuits came out. Next up were ‘wait until Obama is Prez’.

After everything died down I plopped my six-pack on the counter. The clerk looked at this Truman baby and said “ID, please”. ;)

Anyone know a good ACLU lawyer I can hook up with?….Oh, wait, I’m a racist too because I’m voting for Johnny.

If Barry loses I now know that the streets will be mean.

Limerick on October 17, 2008 at 9:40 PM

yeah well, like I said, someone can rob the store clerk and Obama-ites will hold the door open for the thug to leave with the money as part of the ‘rob from the rich give to the poor ‘kick.

So whats next? Someone can walk in and just take your tv out of your house and walk out. Try and stop them and your racist.

Its bad folks. Its bad. Makes Bill Clinton look like a Saint.

I also have this image of Hillary laughing at the roast…just laughing and laughing….

Looks like theres no need to go to hell. It came to us.

johnnyU on October 17, 2008 at 9:54 PM

If Barry loses I now know that the streets will be mean. – Limerick on October 17, 2008 at 9:40 PM

On that you can rely. But this won’t be a replay of Watts in 1968. It’ll be a more wild-west version of the North Ward of Newark, NJ in 1968.

Anyone from NJ remember Anthony Imperiale? Now picture a few million of his clones – all heavily armed.

Don’t start nothin’…won’t be nothin’, Buh’weat.

ManlyRash on October 17, 2008 at 9:54 PM

I had one of my 6th graders accuse another of being racist ’cause the other kid supported McCain. So… I asked the kid if voting against Palin means that you hate women. I then explained that just because you’re FOR Obama doesn’t mean you hate women and just because you’re FOR McCain doesn’t mean you hate black people. 11 year olds get it. Adults don’t.

Mojave Mark on October 17, 2008 at 10:08 PM

From the conduct section.

Students have the responsibility to contribute to a
positive atmosphere.
RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH AND PUBLICATION
RIGHTS RESPONSIBILITIES
Students are entitled to freedom of expression of their
views unless there are legal reasons to regulate their
speech or publications.
Students have the responsibility to refrain from the
distribution or display of material, which could cause
conduct that would interfere with discipline or cause
disorder.
RIGHT TO ASSEMBLE

Pardon the format. I got this from the Volusia Secondary School manual. This doesnt include specific rules at that particular school. Don’t shoot the messenger. I am just saying typically schools dont like sexual, gang, or political things that would start a rukus, in this case just things in general are violation enough according to this manual.

johnnyU on October 17, 2008 at 10:28 PM

johnnyU on October 17, 2008 at 10:28 PM

Thanks. I looked for what you posted and couldn’t find it.

I think political things are OK in most schools I’ve been at, and it sounds like this young woman has opened up the flood gates so to speak. If a sea of obama shirts start appearing, that’s ok — its a reasoned dialog that needs to happen even if they aren’t old enough to vote yet. While she was called racist, she didn’t seem to take it too bad, and it did not escalate to anything other than discussion.

I don’t think the schools have special rules, since the School Board’s minutes indicate that the rules are county wide.

unclesmrgol on October 18, 2008 at 12:38 AM

This whole thing has me spooked.

ManlyRash on October 17, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Same here, with all thats being reported, I keep getting flash backs of the old news reels at the movies showing Hitler and how he pulled it off. It’s not that drastic here yet, but the principals are the same. Too boot, now the economic situation is approaching the same. Interesting.

N4646W on October 18, 2008 at 4:49 AM

I’d look at the bright side if I were at the school in that it promotes girls and women in encouraging continuing education and making the higher ranks in government etc. The shirt is pink and in plain letters and who’s to say she’s not promoting some other Sarah like Sarah Burke the skier or one of the Olympic athletes for goodness sakes?

They (the dems) want race to be such a part of this and the repubs aren’t biting and here a student gets potentially excited of a female making a go for VP and has to be shown something’s wrong with that.

If they want to talk about race in this race, well, I wont go there in this thread, but lets just say I think whites would handle a Barack win better than blacks would handle a Barack loss.

johnnyU on October 18, 2008 at 8:47 AM

In some respects I’m a little surprised. When I first saw the story lead I thought it was teachers or school administrators who called the girl racist. So it was students, kids, harassing each other.

abcurtis on October 18, 2008 at 9:00 AM

I’m sure the faculty at the school were just drooling with glee over the little girl being slighted by the students.

Until it went on the news. Now they look stupid.

Black Adam on October 18, 2008 at 9:24 AM

I don’t know, man. You’ve seen the Obama Youth video haven’t you?

leetpriest on October 18, 2008 at 10:11 AM

leetpriest on October 18, 2008 at 10:11 AM

I missed that, but have seen enough as it is. I’ve also noticed the frustration taking its toll in the conservatives and libertarians. Just keep my fingers crossed that some sensibility takes over soon before something really stupid happens.

N4646W on October 18, 2008 at 9:15 PM

The day after Reagan won in 1980 I was hazed in my hebrew school class.
When I pleaded with the teacher to make it stop she responded with something like”What did you expect-your parents voted for REAGAN.”
I was TEN.
I aslo was told by a former friend that if I voted for a white candidate or a black I was obviously “racist”.
This stuff really P’s me off!

annoyinglittletwerp on October 18, 2008 at 10:20 PM