Video: Obama hits McCain over Joe the Plumber

posted at 8:49 pm on October 16, 2008 by Allahpundit

And with this, JTP has officially been name-checked by all four candidates today. The way the video’s cut, picking up mid-sentence, it sounds like Obama’s sneering at Wurzelbacher for being a plumber — “A plumber is the guy he’s fighting for” — to the great amusement of the crowd. The full quote:

Obama said McCain was misleading voters by proposing tax plans that favor the rich while criticizing an Obama tax plan that would raise taxes only on people making more than $250,000 a year, just 5 percent of all taxpayers.

They’re laughing at McCain for claiming to be a friend of the middle class, not at Wurzelbacher for being middle class. Given the Bittergate fiasco and his image as an elitist, would The One really crap on a profession as quintessentially blue-collar as plumbing in a public setting, especially with the election so close? In context, I’m not even sure that the line about making a quarter mil a year is aimed at Wurzelbacher. I take his point to be not that JTP is lying about aspiring to make that much, but that even if he succeeds, he’d be such an extreme outlier that Maverick can’t fairly use him as a proxy for plumbers (or the middle class) generally.

But judge for yourself. Whatever Obama meant, the AP’s seen to it that the dirt on JTP’s tax lien problem will be beamed out to wire services and reported around the world tomorrow. Note to self: Make sure you’re capable of passing the equivalent of a federal background check before challenging The One on his polices. Click the image to watch.

Update: Team Maverick seizes the moment:

“It’s an outrage that the Obama campaign and the media are attacking Joe the Plumber for asking a legitimate question of a presidential candidate. This is why voters still have so many questions about Barack Obama. Instead of answering tough questions, his campaign attacks average Americans for daring to look at the reality behind his words, said Tucker Bounds, spokesman the McCain-Palin campaign. “John McCain will continue to fight on behalf of all hardworking Americans like Joe for policies geared toward increasing prosperity and reducing the burden on taxpayers — not ‘spreading the wealth around’ for Senator Government to distribute as he sees fit.”

Comments

1GooDDaDDy on October 16, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Thank you, Sir.

Will put in on my car.

Sir Napsalot on October 16, 2008 at 9:49 PM

McCain knows Joe the Plumber has been crucified and he said at the Alfred E. Smith Dinner in NY tonite he has given the plumber a job in all 7 of his houses! Wow!! Sweet Jesus..this is Justice..

gracie on October 16, 2008 at 9:49 PM

Folks, McCain really has a wicked sense of humor. You just have to pay attention. One time his was asked (quite off the record by the way, and he denies it, but I believe its true) why Chelsea Clinton was so damn ugly. Without missing a beat, he responded: because Janet Reno is her father. Now that’s funny right there.

Andy in Agoura Hills on October 16, 2008 at 9:49 PM

This punk must be defeated if he is so distainful of the average American now just imagine what he will do after being elected with majorities in both houses. He is seriously dangerous.
F… OReilly he thinks the guy is not dangerous and will govern moderately BullSchumer!

I Am JOE THE PLUMBER! SPARTICUS INDEED!

dhunter on October 16, 2008 at 9:51 PM

This is exactly what Ayn Rand accused the left of creating when they have to avoid a debate, and that’s an “anti-concept.” Let’s go get Joe the Plumber so we don’t have to debate wealth redistribution and socialism.

V15J on October 16, 2008 at 9:52 PM

I’m looking forward to watching that. I wonder how many times the word “racist” will be used to describe the American electorate? I don’t think I can do the drinking game with this one; too much risk of alcohol poisoning.

AZCoyote on October 16, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Manly Rash, just for you

I am Joe the Plumber.

Cindy Munford on October 16, 2008 at 9:52 PM

youtube of mccain speech?

Darth Executor on October 16, 2008 at 9:53 PM

Someone needs to do a video game rip off of Mario Bros. for a campaign ad, staring Joe battling the evil Obama and his Army of Koopa Media to save Lady Liberty from captivity.

smfoushee on October 16, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Yeah, video of mccain makin’ the funny. please.

lorien1973 on October 16, 2008 at 9:55 PM

BS, the arrogant SOB thinks we’re all a bunch of hayseeds that he’s going to dispatch on 5 Nov. I do not care what you say, that weasel has nothing but contempt for an average guy like Joe who dares ask him a question, the military or really anyone not ready to toe the Obama line.

hawkdriver on October 16, 2008 at 9:55 PM

…not ’spreading the wealth around’ for Senator Government to distribute as he sees fit.”

LOVE the Senator Government label. More, please.

Speaking of spreading the cheeks wealth…I find it extremely amusing that Matthew Lesko and his two sons support The One.

The Ugly American on October 16, 2008 at 9:55 PM

As far as BHO:
Lord, what a motherless piece of crap.

TexasJew on October 16, 2008 at 9:56 PM

I think Hillary was laughing harder than anyone in the room. – CanadianGuy on October 16, 2008 at 9:33 PM

Not so much on the first Tuesday of November in the year 2012.

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 9:56 PM

I am Joe the Plumber. – Cindy Munford on October 16, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Thank you, Miss Cindy.

Say it with me, folks: I AM JOE THE PLUMBER

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 9:57 PM

AZCoyote on October 16, 2008 at 9:52 PM

I’m goin out to buy some small shot glasses and I’ll gladly join ya AZ…….

Rovin on October 16, 2008 at 9:57 PM

If this isn’t Armageddon for this great nation, it’s just on the other side of a barbed-wire fence. – TexasJew on October 16, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Nah…Armageddon ain’t for a while yet.

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Sorry if this thought is a repeat – if Obama increases taxes on only the top 5% of small businesses, he will be increasing taxes on 90% of the small businesses that EMPLOY OTHER PEOPLE!

Watch that pyramid of expanding small businesses start to collapse.

Obama – taxing only the most successful entrepreneurs, the ones responsible for generating new jobs.

fred5678 on October 16, 2008 at 9:58 PM

I’m goin out to buy some small shot glasses and I’ll gladly join ya AZ…….

Rovin on October 16, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Oh good. I hate to get plastered alone. But please bring really small glasses, ‘cuz you know they’re gonna say the R word about a million times, and I really don’t want to die!

AZCoyote on October 16, 2008 at 10:00 PM

The McCain joke I loved was “It going to be a long night over at MSNBC if I pull this off.” – AZCoyote on October 16, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Actually, it won’t be – as far as the returns themselves are concerned. As far as the wailing and gnashing of teeth…I’m already stocking up on espresso.

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 10:00 PM

I am Sarah Palin!

I am Joe the Plumber!

I am America!

OT – Here in redder-than-red Idaho, both of my McCain/Palin signs were stolen this afternoon.

Are the Obots desperate, or what!?

Ace ODale on October 16, 2008 at 10:02 PM

I find it extremely amusing that Matthew Lesko and his two sons support The One. – The Ugly American on October 16, 2008 at 9:55 PM

But not surprising.

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Are the Obots desperate, or what!? – Ace ODale on October 16, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Yes. They are hoping to use the signs as floatation devices after Obama’s Titanic makes the final plunge.

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Yeah, video of mccain makin’ the funny. please.

lorien1973 on October 16, 2008 at 9:55 PM

My guess is it’ll be on YouTube pretty soon – they’re showig a big portion on Greta, too. Or you can set your DVR for the re-broadcast of Hannity. They had the whole thing. It’ll probably also be at cnn.com and foxnews.com video, too.

CK MacLeod on October 16, 2008 at 10:04 PM

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Mr. Rash,

This is a personal one for you.

Wear it in good health.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on October 16, 2008 at 10:04 PM

Scorched_Earth on October 16, 2008 at 10:08 PM

That’s deep thinkin! When I heard it, I just thought he was mocking Joe and McCain. I don’t know if it was meant to be analyzed that much.

JellyToast on October 16, 2008 at 10:09 PM

“I can’t believe he ripped Fox News again… bad move, Barry. They’ve been obnoxiously fair to you. I hope they just destroy you now.”

Funny you should say that; Neil Cavuto (my hero) ripped Barry a new one in is closing statement today.

AP can you get a copy of that posted please (along with the McCain monologue)

Danger on October 16, 2008 at 10:10 PM

Can’t believe I missed the dinner — sounds awesome.

I’m not at all surprised that McCain has a great sense of humor, and comic timing. I am shocked that no one in the Obama campaign had the wit to tell him that he doesn’t, and that doing this event was a bad idea.

Someone said it was on Hannity and Colmes? I may have to wait up for the replay post-midnight… then again, it’ll probably be on youtube tomorrow… for a few seconds before the moonbats get it pulled…

Who broadcast the dinner?

ClintACK on October 16, 2008 at 10:11 PM

I had to bring this quote over from Perfunction regarding Obama’s attack on Joe the plumber, its awesome!!

[Obama is] Quite a smug, elitist Prick for such a Stuttering Stooge. Now all of The Stuttering Stooge’s little fascist minions are digging into Joe’s personal…..

It’s time for some smart entrepeneur to print up a bunch of “I AM Joe the Plumber” T-shirts, hats, bags, lunchboxes, … you name it, put them up for sale on the internet and commit to donating a sizeable portion of the profits to Joe and his family. Just imagine the smoke blowing out of the Obamabots ears whenever they turn around on the streets of America only to be confronted with the symbol of The Stuttering Stooge’s epic failure.

Posted by: Fed Up | October 16, 2008 at 07:38 PM

Joe the plumber T-shirt… I want one.

Maxx on October 16, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Another Joe the Plumber
Today we are all Joe the Plumber!

atxcowgirl on October 16, 2008 at 10:13 PM

1GooDDaDDy on October 16, 2008 at 10:04 PM

LOL. I can almost hear the voice-over:

In a world where the nefarious forces of socialist evil are poised on the bring of global hegemony there arises out of the blue-state rabble a red-state man of integrity. A man of towering intellect and rapier sharp wit who can lay pipe like nobody’s business. Coming to theatres nationwide is the masterpiece promised by Jerry Zucker, the producer of Airplane and An American Carol

This January, Manly Rash is JOE THE PLUMBER.

This film has not yet been rated.

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 10:15 PM

When you hear the following phrase. “My name is Senator government, and I’m here to help.” You better do like we do. Run! Run your *ss off!!! – Scorched_Earth on October 16, 2008 at 10:08 PM

Screw that. I just pump the shotgun to load the chamber. That usually works.

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 10:16 PM

Obama’s sham tax plan to “benefit” 95% of Americans is exposed here.

Obama mocks an ambitious plan and upward striving, and his foolish sheep-tools laugh out of envy. Obama is despicable in more ways than I can count.

BTW Did you know that Chris “Countywide” Dodd is disallowing Republicans to provide witnesses re the financial meltdown and the role that Freddie/Fannie played in it?

onlineanalyst on October 16, 2008 at 10:17 PM

And here I thought that Obama couldn’t get any more condescending and arrogant. God help us if this fraud becomes president.

wise_man on October 16, 2008 at 10:18 PM

I want a T-shirt too. With that Plumbers Against Obama logo with the “take this wrench and shove it” from over at Peoples Cube on it.

atxcowgirl on October 16, 2008 at 10:19 PM

This film has not yet been rated.

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 10:15 PM

Well it damn well better not be G rated. :|

Patrick S on October 16, 2008 at 10:20 PM

Obama has just forgotten the one main rule of politics — it’s better to be silent, and briefly be thought a fool, than to speak and have your foolishness fact-checked by a media feeding frenzy.

unclesmrgol on October 16, 2008 at 9:02 PM

This assumes the media actually fact-checks him.

Trov on October 16, 2008 at 10:21 PM

This film has not yet been rated.

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 10:15 PM

Knowing you…most likely an “R”.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on October 16, 2008 at 10:23 PM

“He’s trying to suggest that a plumber is the guy he’s fighting for,” Obama said. “How many plumbers you know that are making a quarter-million dollars a year?”

How much is the capitalist hating Bill Ayers and his wife Dorn making a year, Barack?

wise_man on October 16, 2008 at 10:27 PM

I don’t think Obama can let his guard down long enough to be funny. That guy is always on duty.

Terrye on October 16, 2008 at 10:28 PM

Somebody PLEASE call him out on this BS 250K limit. Obama is planning to do away with the social security cap right? So basically, any individual making over roughly 100k is gonna get a 6.8% tax hike from good ole Barry.

Now on the other end, if you are a couple making $50k or so and have a couple kids, chances are you aren’t paying any federal tax. So “Obama Hood and his merry band of Thug Thizzlers” are going to give money to people who pay no tax as it is.

Pathetic. This needs to be called out.

Hammerhead on October 16, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Joe the plumber T-shirt… I want one.

Maxx on October 16, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Yes. We need to do this. Like El Rushbo’s auctioning of Dingy Harry’s letter. Make asses of them AND put enough cash in Joe’s hands that he cracks the $250k barrier THIS year!

innominatus on October 16, 2008 at 10:32 PM

RightWinged on October 16, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Funny you should mention that today Neil Cavuto ripped Barry a new one. It was awesome!

Allah can you post a copy of Neils closing statement along with the McCain monologue please!

Danger on October 16, 2008 at 10:33 PM

Unfreaking believable!
“a plumber is the guy he’s fighting for”
Truly one pathetic condescending egotistic liberal prick!

try again later on October 16, 2008 at 10:33 PM

I am Joe, the plummer

southsideironworks on October 16, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Plumber even :-)~

southsideironworks on October 16, 2008 at 10:36 PM

So when are we going to hear a Country Song about Joe the Plumber….

mindhacker on October 16, 2008 at 10:39 PM

Oh my God, they are now saying Joe lived in Alaska! CONSPIRACY!!!!

I can’t BELIEVE this. They have dug THAT far into his history!

capitalist piglet on October 16, 2008 at 10:46 PM

Live with Michelle Obama and see what happens to your sense of humor. His problem though; he picked her.

BuckeyeSam on October 16, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Now that you put it that way, I might end up voting for him out of pity.

neuquenguy on October 16, 2008 at 10:48 PM

I AM JOE THE PLUMBER

(Manly Rash approves of this message.)

onlineanalyst on October 16, 2008 at 10:51 PM

RightWinged on October 16, 2008 at 9:41 PM

I don’t know, it seems to me that after Clinton and the democrats started slamming them, and refusing to participate in debates in Fox, they started to sound I little more like the MSM. Maybe Obama figures they can be bullied into submission.

neuquenguy on October 16, 2008 at 10:54 PM

I’m sure it’s been mentioned already, but BHO is making fun of both Joe Wuzelbacher and McCain. He’s making fun of Joe for even imagining that he could ever make anything around $250,000 (though BHO said $200,000 in the last debate) and he’s laughing at McCain for implying that Joe could.

progressoverpeace on October 16, 2008 at 10:58 PM

It isn’t optimism, Vyce. I don’t hope it will happen…I know it will happen, as surely as the sun will rise tomorrow.

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 9:34 PM

I pray you are come Nov. 4th.

Vyce on October 16, 2008 at 11:02 PM

Where can I send a donation to the Joe W. Defense Fund? I remember how the Chicago Seven tied up the media and courts for more than a year. The left raised money to pay for their defense.

Joe W. apparently is now to be destroyed for the sin of questioning Obama’s messiahship. I want to know how much this will cost him and contribute to his cause.

flataffect on October 16, 2008 at 11:11 PM

What Obama and his supporters are really mocking is the idea that a middle class fellow can ever hope to make good. They see no connection or affinity between a plumber and a person who makes $250,000 a year.

They can not conceive of the American Dream as being reality, and that is why they are so dangerous. They will kill the American Dream without ever realizing that they have done so, because in their mind the American Dream is just a fantasy made up by conservatives to trick the middle class into voting for them.

Sackett on October 16, 2008 at 11:11 PM

Senator Government, the nation is on to you now.

carbon_footprint on October 16, 2008 at 8:57 PM

Caption should be modified: Senator Government – He wants to spread the your wealth.

electric-rascal on October 16, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Nah…Armageddon ain’t for a while yet.

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Like January 20th?

TexasJew on October 16, 2008 at 11:19 PM

Unfreaking believable!
“a plumber is the guy he’s fighting for”
Truly one pathetic condescending egotistic liberal prick!

try again later on October 16, 2008 at 10:33 PM

Why not? As a standard-issue piece of crap, a plumber would always be his best friend.

TexasJew on October 16, 2008 at 11:21 PM

ummmmm….I would hire Joe the plumber.

right2bright on October 16, 2008 at 11:28 PM

Let me get this right…because of the economy, capital gains have been wiped out for probably three years.
There will be probably half of the “5%” wealthy to tax now.
Where is Obama going to get all of this money he thought he had?

right2bright on October 16, 2008 at 11:31 PM

Like January 20th? – TexasJew on October 16, 2008 at 11:19 PM

Well…yeah…if you’re Obama. Wake up, LoneStar Hebrew: McCain is bringing this sh!t home, baby.

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 11:40 PM

I hate to be Serious Guy for a moment, but you will never know how deeply I wish for you to be correct. I pray you are come Nov. 4th. – Vyce on October 16, 2008 at 11:02 PM

You might as well pray for the sun to rise tomorrow. Knock yourself out.

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 11:42 PM

I am not going to say what I want to say after reading this post.

Jim Treacher on October 16, 2008 at 11:42 PM

That was a big mistake on Obama’s part.

WOW… what a major blunder. McCain is gonna pick up the ball and run with it, hopefully all the way.

Keep hammering him on elitism and being out of touch with normal people.

Borislav on October 16, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Sen. Obama is wrong to think that a plumber who owns a company employing multiple plumbers couldn’t reasonably expect to clear $250K annually. The company that trenched out my basement and front yard replacing every damn sewer pipe after the Great Sewage Disaster of ’07 charged a pretty penny for the job. They had as many as 5 guys working on the site at a time and that was just a portion of the people they employed. If the company Joe W. is hoping to buy does heavy commercial work or has a couple of contracts for maintaining a few apartment complexes, it could easily be more. Just the equipment alone is expensive and keeping up the assets, parts, etc. could make the company’s net worth rather large.

Sen. Obama hasn’t let his guard down often to make mistakes, I hope this illuminating episode proves to be a real pivot point in the election.

Jill1066 on October 16, 2008 at 11:47 PM

This is just an attempt to continue the lie that hard-working middle income Americans don’t vote or think like Republicans. The idea is to say “he’s not a plumber… he’s not one of you… he’s one of those people”.

LibTired on October 17, 2008 at 12:07 AM

I’ll always remember what BO said.

“It’s not that I want to punish you for your success, we’re just going to spread the wealth around”

It’s the 21st century revival of:

“From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs.”

The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. – Ayn Rand

Saltysam on October 17, 2008 at 12:38 AM

Barry is such an a-hole.

Didn’t think anybody could out-do Billy Jeff in the smug prick dept, but Barry is waaaaay beyond SLick.

benrand on October 17, 2008 at 12:39 AM

Obama’s next plumber needs to present him with a $249,000 bill for unstopping his toilet.

Just to see the look on his face.

profitsbeard on October 17, 2008 at 12:50 AM

Today, we are all Joe the Plumber.

MrScribbler on October 16, 2008 at 8:58 PM

I am Joe the Plumber.

we need some damn T-shirts and one of those youtube drive like the “i’m sara palin” gig…

liquidflorian on October 17, 2008 at 1:31 AM

reshas1, thanks for the link. I just sent him my “I AM Joe the plumber”. Along with a few choice thoughts about him. I wonder if they’ll come after me now? I certainly hope so.

Webrider on October 17, 2008 at 1:43 AM

Remember the EU hoopla over Obama? Turns out they have a reason for that.

The EU 27’s hopes for forcing the United States to dance to their tune rest on the elegantly tailored figure of Barack Obama. That’s why Brown wants to hold his big international conference after the November elections, and invite the president-elect.

They are already wetting their chops for getting such a gift in Barack Obama.

promachus on October 17, 2008 at 2:03 AM

*knock on wood*

If anything’s going to stick to Barry, this will.

He showed his true colors with Joe the Plumber, and now his comeback is to laugh at the fact that the guy’s “just” a plumber.

His point may not be that, and intentions yadda yadda, but sound bytes are sound bytes, and this is Barry at his most genuine, elitist self.

Rush posed the question today: How many Joe the Plumbers are out there? Answer: All of us.

Barry’s thumbing his nose at all of us from his elitist perch.

Good luck with that, buddy.

*gets dragged away by the Obama Thought Police*

Hawkins1701 on October 17, 2008 at 2:10 AM

Well, O’Bambi, YOU’RE certainly not going to fight for Joe the Plumber. And if you have your way, no one but the Lib elite will earn over $50 bucks a week.

seanrobins on October 17, 2008 at 7:29 AM

I’ll bet there are a hell of lot more people out there who’
ve been ripped off by plumbers than there are plumbers themselves.

I say screw you Joe, and take the whole trade with you.

sanguine4 on October 17, 2008 at 7:49 AM

Amazing what the media finds in twenty four hours about some previously unknown guy who dared to receive the actual truth about the Obamanation accidentally, yet in twenty months the same media can’t find the motivation to make one trip to Chicago to dig up the truth about the ONE.

eaglewingz08 on October 17, 2008 at 8:58 AM

So, the enemy has become not liberals per say, but the main stream media. They are a hard enemy to fight unless the right fines a way to buy up large newspapers and control TV stations etc. But, what goes up, comes down and when the MSM falls it will be nothing short of cataclysmic! I hope I’m around to see it. Kind of ironic in a way–in this country we didn’t need a dictator like Stalin etc to direct and limit the media to one side of an ideology, they did it all by themselves!

jeanie on October 17, 2008 at 9:39 AM

I am Joe the Plumber!

brtex on October 17, 2008 at 9:46 AM

Obama has obviously never heard the joke about the lawyer and the plumber.

The lawyer called the plumber because his toilet was stopped and didn’t know what to do.

The plumber came over and after inspecting the tolilet, he reached in and pulled a child’s toy out of the bowl trap. The plumber flushed the toilet and said “There you go, good as new.”
The lawyer said “Hey, thanks a lot, how much do I owe you?”
The plumber says “200 dollars”
The lawyer gets huffy and says “Good lord, You have only been here 15 minutes and you are charging me 200 dollars. That’s more money than I make an hour!”

The plumber says “Yeah, I used to be a lawyer too.”

Heh!

brtex on October 17, 2008 at 9:55 AM

I’m Joe, I’m Sarah, I’m Trig, and a bunch of others.

I. AM. AN. AMERICAN!

I can’t ask Obama to remember something he’s never known.

karl9000 on October 17, 2008 at 10:41 AM

It’s really a shame that this entry didn’t go over to the “top picks”

wise_man on October 17, 2008 at 11:44 AM

2nd lawsuit challenges Obama’s citizenship
Man demands state verify birth records or remove senator from ballots

Note: It is incumbent on ALL Secretaries of State in all of the United States to BOTH accurately verify Voters AND candidates. Barack Hussein Obama has sealed his “Hawaiian” birth records and also records in Kenya.

Failure to verify and certify qualification for ALL candidates in a general election by any Secretary of State may be a cause of action (dereliction of duty) and criminal charges may be filed.

Also: