Quote of the day

posted at 10:30 pm on October 16, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

“You know, I’ve been in these positions before where we were favored and the press starts getting carried away and we end up getting spanked.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

They could vote him off of the bus. – hawkdriver on October 16, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Or vote him onto the short yellow bus.

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 11:46 PM

Time for me to sleep, my friends. God bless you all.

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 11:47 PM

U.S.News & World Report:

Did Barack “Spread the Wealth” Obama Just Blow the Election?
October 16, 2008 11:37 AM ET | James Pethokoukis

No. Really. You’re kidding me. Barack Obama actually told that Joe the Plumber guy that he wants to “spread the wealth around.” What, did Obama just get done reading the Wikipedia entry on Huey “Share the Wealth” Long or something? Was he somehow channeling that left-wing populist from the Depression? Talk about playing into the most extreme stereotype of your party, that it is infested with socialists.

A while back I chatted with a University of Chicago professor who was a frequent lunch companion of Obama’s. This professor said that Obama was as close to a full-out Marxist as anyone who has ever run for president of the United States. Now, I tend to quickly dismiss that kind of talk as way over the top. My working assumption is that Obama is firmly within the mainstream of Democratic politics. But if he is as free with that sort of redistributive philosophy in private as he was on the campaign trail this week, I have no doubt that U of C professor really does figure him as a radical. And after last night’s debate, a few more Americans might think that way, too. McCain’s best line: “Now, of all times in America, we need to cut people’s taxes. We need to encourage business, create jobs, not spread the wealth around.”

And by the way, I just noticed that the IBD/TIPP poll, the most accurate in 2004, has McCain down by just 3 points. If the contest is perceived by the voters as a contest between a wealth redistributor and a wealth creator, then it could be a long night come Nov. 4. This is still a center-right country, gang. Note this Gallup poll from June:

When given a choice about how government should address the numerous economic difficulties facing today’s consumer, Americans overwhelmingly—by 84% to 13%—prefer that the government focus on improving overall economic conditions and the jobs situation in the United States as opposed to taking steps to distribute wealth more evenly among Americans.

There you go.

FiveWays on October 16, 2008 at 11:47 PM

I guess he can’t figure out how else to spend the money.

Jaibones on October 16, 2008 at 11:40 PM

It’s so he doesn’t have to play off Clinton’s campaign debt.

“Hill, yeah, it’s Barrack. Baaaarrrack! Bar-rak Oba-ma? Yeah about that campaign debt I was going to help you retire. You see the thing is, Minnesota was just so much for tougher than we thought it was going to be. Uh-huh, DC and Hawaii too. Sorry Hill, so…I gotta go. Uh yep…and give Bubba, er Bill my best.”

hawkdriver on October 16, 2008 at 11:49 PM

So McCain should buy a 15 second spot to run right after Obama’s 30 minute “look-at-me-a-thon”… should say “Everything you have just heard for the last half hour has been a lie. I’m John McCain and I support this message.”

CC – BHO: “my Muslim faith”

CapedConservative on October 16, 2008 at 11:50 PM

CapedConservative on October 16, 2008 at 11:50 PM

funny

hawkdriver on October 16, 2008 at 11:52 PM

CC – BHO: “my Muslim faith”

CapedConservative on October 16, 2008 at 11:50 PM

Just run a 60 second Joe The Plummer “spread the wealth around” ad.

That’ll stick.

FiveWays on October 16, 2008 at 11:54 PM

CC – BHO: “my Muslim faith”

CapedConservative on October 16, 2008 at 11:50 PM

Or one of those Rush Limbaugh sign you can post below the picture that say’s, “He lied about Ayers and Abortion and He’s Lying Now!!!”

hawkdriver on October 16, 2008 at 11:54 PM

OT Peg Noonans newest article since her liberal revelation…

Palin’s Failin’
What is it she stands for? After seven weeks, we don’t know.

So Pegster, We’re you lying when you tried to claim you were taken out of context live, off camera, or are you lying now? Or are you just another wine and cheese ass-clown.

Here’s to egg on your smug, washed-up liberal mug on Nov 5TH!

hawkdriver on October 17, 2008 at 12:19 AM

Hawkdriver @ 12:19

“Ms.” Noonan seems to be one of the bow tie wearing (no offense to bow ties) northeast republican elites that can’t relate to regular Americans, and in their aristocratic manner can’t understand why conservatives and others are excited by the fresh face of Governor Palin. I propose that Peggy put down the whine and cheese and just go suck on a lemon!

btw, I have a friend that gets around in a blackhawk, he’s currently at Ft. Riley…

Gohawgs on October 17, 2008 at 1:13 AM

Addendum to the above comment…

Peggy Noonan was inspired by President Reagan yet did not learn one of RWR’s standing edicts, that being, not to speak ill of another republican. Unfortunately, she isn’t alone this election cycle. Brooks, Frum, Will, and baby Buckley aren’t principled, either!

Gohawgs on October 17, 2008 at 1:26 AM

baby Buckley

Gohawgs on October 17, 2008 at 1:26 AM

Heh.

platypus on October 17, 2008 at 1:40 AM

CapedConservative on October 16, 2008 at 11:50 PM

Vinny Gambini: Everything that guy just said is bullshit… Thank you.

fossten on October 17, 2008 at 2:05 AM

Thank you, Your Grace. May I have another?

*collapses to the floor….obseqiously*

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 11:36 PM

heh.

Masochist says “beat me,beat me”.

Sadist says“noooooo”.

soundingboard on October 17, 2008 at 2:19 AM

“…end up getting spanked.”?!

A B!TCH SLAP is more like what the bum deserves.

Lockstein13 on October 17, 2008 at 4:47 AM

I think he’s just looking for a scapegoat.

Cr4sh Dummy on October 17, 2008 at 5:05 AM

I haven’t been able to sleep for weeks–nightmares of an Obama presidency.

The only prescription is a McCain victory.

m064404 on October 17, 2008 at 5:12 AM

Go Back TO MICHIGAN

Kini on October 17, 2008 at 6:07 AM

Obama refuses to attend Fox debate. Murdoch meets with him. Ted Baxter does Obama interview where he squeezes out the “tough” answers like “Well Bill, what can I tell you?”. Fox All Stars start dumping on Palin. Obama makes statement he would be several points more ahead if it wasn’t for Fox. Fox claims Obama won the debate where McCain clearly won big. Now, WSJ (Noonan) dumps on Palin again.

Anybody wonder what kind of agreement Murdoch and Obama reached?

CC – BHO: “my Muslim faith”

CapedConservative on October 17, 2008 at 6:45 AM

McCain or the RNC or some 527 should put together an ad about the Obama thuggery and tie it into Obama’s new politics message.

Conclude it with Palin, the most vilifiled, saying, “Shame on you, Barack Obama and Joe Biden for what you and your supporters have done during this campaign.”

BuckeyeSam on October 17, 2008 at 7:02 AM

Obama is going to have to walk on water. If he stubs his toe, the press will be on him like fire on dry tinder.

They’ve annointed him.

They’ve put him at the right hand of God.

If he doesn’t live up to the hyype, they’ll want no part of the blame.

Which they fully deserve, of course.

drjohn on October 17, 2008 at 9:11 AM

He’s gonna get a real spanking on Nov. $th Can’t wait for the outcome!

promachus on October 17, 2008 at 9:50 AM

In other words,

ACORN, dont’ fail me now..

apologies for anyone else who said something simular on the first page

DaveC on October 17, 2008 at 10:08 AM