McCain ad: “Fight”

posted at 10:10 am on October 16, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Joe the Plumber will get three weeks of fame, it seems, and not just 15 minutes. John McCain released a new ad today called “Fight”, and he has now focused on the economy, thanks to a little plumbing in Team McCain’s house:

The last eight years haven’t worked very well, have they? I’ll make the next four better. Your savings, your job and your financial security are under siege. Washington is making it worse – bankrupting us with their spending.

Telling us paying higher taxes is “patriotic”?

And saying we need to “spread the wealth around”?

They refuse common sense solutions for energy independence. So every day we send billions to the Middle East.

We need a new direction and I have a plan. Your savings. We’ll rebuild them. Your investments. They’ll grow again. Energy. We’ll drill here and we’ll create a renewable energy economy. Lower taxes and less spending will protect your job and create new ones.

That’ll restore our country.

Stand up with me, let’s fight for America.

At one minute, this is an investment for television spots — but a wise one. Once again, McCain uses the effective technique of looking directly into the camera and speaking for himself. That gives him a chance to connect emotionally with the voters, rather than just showing up at the end of a series of quick-cut images.

The economic message works.  McCain obviously wants to ride the “spread the wealth” redistributionism of Obama all the way to the finish line, using Obama’s populism against him.  Could Joe the Plumber be the Poland of this campaign?  It just might.  The visceral reaction of Joe the Plumber to Obama’s bald redistributionist intentions may have finally highlighted the fact of Obama’s doctrinaire liberal policy.  In a time of great economic insecurity, voters are paying close attention to these issues.

McCain needs to stay on this attack.  Let Sarah Palin talk about William Ayers.  McCain needs to demonstrate that Obama represents nothing more than another tax-and-spend redistributionist.

Comments

Excellent.

YellowDawg on October 16, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Dr Evil on October 16, 2008 at 10:12 AM

Sarah Palin needs to do a photo-op with Joe the Plumber. She can charm him – and there’s the blue-collar vote!

lodge on October 16, 2008 at 10:12 AM

GREAT AD! BRAVO, MCCAIN!

McCain’s ears hear!!
Thank God for miracles, great and small.

maverick muse on October 16, 2008 at 10:13 AM

I’m pambi, and I approve that message.. COOL.

I like this one, too, from RNC:

pambi on October 16, 2008 at 10:14 AM

McCain seems old and angry. I believe it is too little too late. Obama is replete with show stopper baggage with ACORN, Wright ,Ayers, Resco, etc. etc. and McCain doesn’t fo for the throat.

Obama is a slick liar like Bill Clinton, and he will likely get in. Our only hope is the Bradley effect.

saiga on October 16, 2008 at 10:15 AM

saiga on October 16, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Obama’s down to just 4 in Rasmussen and that was before the debate. IBD, which was off by less than half a percent in ’04, has the difference at just 3% last I checked. It’s not too late.

amerpundit on October 16, 2008 at 10:16 AM

salga,

Presidential candidates aren’t supposed to do character attacks and negative stuff. That’s for the VP. McCain’s job is to tell America what he’ll do for them. Standard good cop-bad cop roles.

YellowDawg on October 16, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Very good. It slams BO w/o mentioning him, & it takes a shot a Bush’s spending. Also, it’s got a very positive overall message.

jgapinoy on October 16, 2008 at 10:18 AM

McCain looks like he’ll bite the head off a whippet.

Love it.

mylegsareswollen on October 16, 2008 at 10:18 AM

saiga on October 16, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Stop being such a downer and start pulling your weight.

That goes for you and any other whiners here.

misslizzi on October 16, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Could Joe the Plumber be the Poland of this campaign? It just might. The visceral reaction of Joe the Plumber to Obama’s bald redistributionist intentions may have finally highlighted the fact of Obama’s doctrinaire liberal policy.

I perceive the Joe Plumber exchange as more of a “Dukakis Responding to the Rape Question” moment: it revealed who and what he truly is on an intuitive level that resonates with anyone who works for a living.

After Obama loses in November he may well rue his decision to chat with this man.

Oh, the delicious irony: metaphorical “plumbers” brought down Nixon; a real-life plumber brings down Obama.

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 10:19 AM

This is the weak point in the Obama lines–now McCain has to drive the attack home. Focus and strike–Obama can be beaten–but it’s going to take a determined effort and willingness to roll up our sleeves and get the job done.

Matt Helm on October 16, 2008 at 10:20 AM

saiga on October 16, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Nah. The momentum is shifting. Obama will lose in November – as I said he would.

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 10:20 AM

amerpundit on October 16, 2008 at 10:16 AM

I hope you’re right. I can’t stand the thought of Obama in the Whitehouse flanked by Dirty Harry and Slimey Palosi. It would be a catastrophy for the US we just may have to endure.

The long term prognosis is worse, because the useless portion of our population is growing, and the tigers are shrinking. The welfare class and the “crapped on” low income minorities will soon have the numbers to control who gets elected. When that happens, it’s over.

saiga on October 16, 2008 at 10:22 AM

I can see a real dilemma for dems. Obama loses due to white dems not supporting him, it damages the party permanently. Obama wins, and repeats Jimmy Carter in triplicate, they are out of power for a generation.

Vashta.Nerada on October 16, 2008 at 10:23 AM

How Come we don’t hear anything about Tony Rezko? His sentencing has been delayed, that’s it? – Dr Evil on October 16, 2008 at 10:12 AM

Tony will be somewhat laconic until November 5 in the hope of a presidential pardon. When he realizes that President McCain will very likely NOT pardon him, he will sing louder and higher than the fat German chick in the last scene of Wagner’s Nibelungen.

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Huzzah!

juanito on October 16, 2008 at 10:23 AM

When are they putting Palin in ads like these?Surely they can produce one or tow at least for the web.

promachus on October 16, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Great ad!

I just put a post on the website of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Many of their liberal bloggers have been ranting about the McCain campaigns negative ads. I suggested they think about the treatment of George W. Bush over the past eight years, by Democrats and the media, before they get to high and mighty about negative campaigning.

Star20 on October 16, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Gentlemen, we can rebuild your savings.

We have the technology.

CherokeeJack on October 16, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Does anyone know the Vegas odds on who will win?

saiga on October 16, 2008 at 10:26 AM

saiga on October 16, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Conservatives are not whiners, you must have confused us with the libs. If you wish to whine, leave.

Sorry to be so direct and intolerant, but I’m pissed.

Are you gone yet?

pugwriter on October 16, 2008 at 10:27 AM

Sarahcuda almost tears up here. It’s moving to see the Iron Lady get emotional.

promachus on October 16, 2008 at 10:28 AM

He has to, many Americans have gone off the edge of reality and every American needs to know exactly who they’re getting with Barack Obama.

Speakup on October 16, 2008 at 10:29 AM

I thought this was a GREAT ad.
Palin is best at the attack. But McCain is great in inspiring.
Heck, he inspired us to fight for him to win the presidency.
I don’t know how anyone can be inspired by Obama to vote for him.
Give me a man who has sacrificed his life and fought for his country over a liberal, snob, and elitist professor any day.

jencab on October 16, 2008 at 10:30 AM

After last night, showing that he’s willing to stand and fight as well, I’m fighting with McCain. As well as Palin,
Joe Wurzelbacher, all the other small business owners that don’t want to pay higher taxes, all of those people that understand that nuclear power and other alternative enregy sources are the future, all those people that want America to do what is right even if unpopular in the world, all those that realize that a Democratic congress and a Democratic president is like a car with two accelerators and no brakes*, all those that understand that no matter who we elect, we’re going to get amnesty for 20 million illegal aliens, but realize the unimportance of that when the election of one of them will ensure the death of another 40 million babies in the next three decades, and all those that want a school choice, don’t want their guns taken by the government, don’t think that the government can spend their money better than they can, and don’t want to sink to their level by sitting down with Iran, Venezuela, and North Korea without preconditions.

*Thanks Alex Castellanos and Byron York

Abby Adams on October 16, 2008 at 10:31 AM

Best line in debate from McCain:
“Sen. Obama, I am not President Bush. If you wanted to run against President Bush, you should have run four years ago.”

albill on October 16, 2008 at 10:31 AM

Hey Juan, when are you going to FIGHT for a border fence, you shamnesty clown?
Blog of the Gods

State Department Travel Warning

Fletch54 on October 16, 2008 at 10:32 AM

You know Ed, I realize that everyone running has to make it seem like the last 8 yrs have been a disaster in order to get elected. But where’s the disaster? I survived the ’87 crash, hurricanes, floods, war, and pestilence, and I’m still here. My family has plenty to eat and the best in schooling. The last 8 yrs haven’t hurt anyone in America. The last 8 months, maybe. But the last 8 yrs have been marked by prosperity, security, and opportunity. Where’s the disaster?

Call me old fashioned and crazy, but W is no failure. And every time Sen McCain, who I love dearly for standing up for America time and time again, bashes W, I’m the one who feels the hit. I’m sick and tired of Bush being the bad guy because he is tougher than most, and at least did what was right anytime and everytime he had to make a decision. Because he stands up for America, but he won’t stand up for himself. And every time you, Sen McCain, or the enemies of Victory in Iraq badmouth the Bush Administration, who played the best they could with the hand they were dealt, it is Joe Six Pack and military folks who feel the sting of that insult.

I like the ad. I love McCain. But I’m damn tired of hearing that Bush is to blame for everything. And I’ll remember every SOB that threw him under the bus for the rest of my life. The list is long as my arm and becomes less distinguished every day. Too bad Sen McCain couldn’t make his point without denigrating indirectly the guy who never gave up on America in the last 8 yrs. He’d better make sure he remains as tough as he was in Hanoi. Because he’s about to get hammered by the worst traitors in the history of America. The disloyal Dhimmicrat opposition.

Subsunk

Subsunk on October 16, 2008 at 10:32 AM

I also like I’ll kick his “you know what!”

wepeople on October 16, 2008 at 10:33 AM

Where the heck has this guy been since the end of August?!? His passionate urging – “Fight with me, fight with me, America!” – at the end of his acceptance speech is what’s been missing ever since then, till now.

This is an effective ad, and I hope it sways enough still-sane undecideds to make a difference.

Lurking Vet on October 16, 2008 at 10:34 AM

pugwriter on October 16, 2008 at 10:27 AM

No. I don’t like what I see, but it is what it is. I don’t see McCain or Obama doing what needs to be done to re-invigorate the USA. If these two guys are the best the USA has to offer, we are in trouble.

saiga on October 16, 2008 at 10:35 AM

yeah he kicked butt last night and took names.
Now for the voting fraud case.

johnnyU on October 16, 2008 at 10:36 AM

I contacted the Palin staff and told them I wanted to marry her.

Bishop on October 16, 2008 at 10:36 AM

He couldn’t, his faked citizenship papers weren’t finished.

Bishop on October 16, 2008 at 10:38 AM

I have a feeling Israel is watching the election polls very closely, and an Obama win will trigger action into Iran before Jan.’09. A McCain win creates more flexibility. I assume Iran is also following the same line of reasoning. If Obama wins, anticipate a tremendous jump in crude.

a capella on October 16, 2008 at 10:39 AM

I contacted the Palin staff and told them I wanted to marry her. – Bishop on October 16, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Expect a visit from the Secret Service sometime today, Your Grace. I will be hiding in the chapel if you need me.

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 10:39 AM

I like the ad, and coming after last night, I think McCain might be finally breaking through on the economic message.

And I’d be happy to let Sarah Palin do the heavy lifting on Ayers and Born Alive Infant Protection. Both require a little explanation, which she is better at than Mac.

james23 on October 16, 2008 at 10:40 AM

Good ad. Strong in the homestretch.

Spirit of 1776 on October 16, 2008 at 10:42 AM

COWARD!

*jostles himself into a coat closet*

Bishop on October 16, 2008 at 10:42 AM

“Spreading the wealth” was one of those candid moments that losing politicians look back at, slap their foreheads and think about what could have been. Obarfy got caught without a carefully scripted telepromter and will get spanked for his trouble.

Bishop on October 16, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Great ad,but it still boggles the mind,
that the political narrative is wrapped
up in the economy!

Up until ‘the crisis’ of the economy,Team
McCain/Palin were steamin to victory,then
the world collasped,and every Liberal and
the Liberal Ministry of MSM,have been pushing
that perception on every American voter!

canopfor on October 16, 2008 at 10:47 AM

They want to spread the wealth around……

I know what that means…….but other “Plumber Joes” might not understand why that is a problem….

They might say yeah, spread that wealth around to me too!

The message needs to be: Obama admitted that he wants to take the money from Joe the Plumber,that he was going to use to create jobs…by taxing him….and giving it to Nancy Pelosi…..giving it to Washington.

Obama wants to increase your taxes, so he can spend it where he thinks we should ……he spreads it around to liberal causes.

Run the Ad:
….he wants to tax you, and spread your money to LIBERALS like Nancy Pelosi, Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, to CREATE more wonderful companies like Fannie Mae, and Freddie Mac

Dpet on October 16, 2008 at 10:50 AM

McCain needs to keep hammering Obama on the Nuclear energy issue, along with the drilling.
Obama dodged any mention of nuclear power plants, although last debate he said he was not against them. This debate he (Obama) never mentioned the word nuclear.
To be energy independent we need oil and nuclear, the rest of the “energy” producers are being R&D for the future.
The only proven solutions with any substantial affect is more oil and nuclear (along with the clean coal plants).
As long as Obama is against nuclear and oil production, McCain can keep nailing him on that…
So we have these main issues:
Taxes
Re-distribution of taxes
Energy
Voter fraud
And please add in there holding the people responsible who allowed this economic fiasco to “suddenly” appear.
The rest, Rezko, Wright, Ayres, health care, security (amazing off the table), etc. are small potatoes this week, and maybe next.
Last night, with “Joe” changed the debate from economy to taxes and re-distribution (code word for socialism)

right2bright on October 16, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Joe Plumber is the event that turned this for Mac, and that will be proven true in about three weeks.-Bishop on October 16, 2008 at 10:46 AM

I believe it is referred to as a “Kinsley Gaffe,” Your Grace. And I agree completely.

It is similar in resonance and destructive magnitude to the moment in the 1988 debate when Dukakis answered the “What would you do if your wife were raped” question like a law professor.

*returns to the chapel and crawls under the sink in the sacristy*

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 10:51 AM

It’s where the Democrats consistently make a mistake. They define ‘rich’ in an income range where people who have busted their asses are just starting to get a taste of real money and success…then boom, they’re penalized for working 14 hours a day and building their businesses up to that point.

Surprisingly simple concept but they never seem to get it.

mylegsareswollen on October 16, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Obama-Biden had (have?) trouble responding to Sarah Palin. With surrogates, MSM, and the hard-left tinfoil brigade, they’ve done their best. But all that Palin’s done is spit out a loose tooth or two and kept on skating and checking these lowlifes into the boards.

Now, however, Obama-Biden has to run against a third running mate, Joe the Plumber from Toledo, Ohio. How do they dump on this guy?

Joe the Plumber–either Secretary of Commerce or Secretary of the Treasury.

Somebody get to Palin so that she talks about Ayers in terms of Obama’s wasteful executive spending spree and what their time together says about Obama’s grand design to federalize (?) education.

Ultimately, in this election, the question should boil down to whether we want more Joe the Plumbers or more community organizers? With the latter, we eventually won’t have any communities to organize.

BuckeyeSam on October 16, 2008 at 10:57 AM

When I first heard the statement I was hoping others heard what I did. I hope this is enough and those polls that showed only a three point spread are right… Rasmussen and Zogby disagree about direction today.

But this re-distribution really does encapsulate the basic difference in philosophy that Obama is trying to blurr.

Although, at any moment I expect someone to say not wanting to redistribute wealth is racist.

petunia on October 16, 2008 at 10:59 AM

His best add period.

KBird on October 16, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Subsunk on October 16, 2008 at 10:32 AM

McCain is just trying to avoid what happened to Geo. Bush I. The economy was going through a natural down turn that year but Clinton made it into the issue that won the race. McCain simply cannot use straight talk on this one.

Besides it does look like the next few will be pretty rough.

That is why I feel it extremly important to make sure the Democrats accept the blame for Fannie and Freddie. Because whoever wins is going to be hurt in ’04 if things aren’t a whole lot better. And by then it will be forgotten what caused all this.

The time for fixing the spin on this is NOW. This is something Republicans are just not as good at–getting the spin right.

petunia on October 16, 2008 at 11:07 AM

the look and words of leadership.
excellent spot.

jimmer on October 16, 2008 at 11:13 AM

I think it’s time for these kinds of ads from Team McCain.

Let the 527s and the RNC do the attack ads from here on out.

CliffHanger on October 16, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Dr Evil on October 16, 2008 at 10:12 AM

Take your calendar, place it on your desk. Pick up your Sharpie. Pretend you are Gomer Pyle. Now, write in over the last week “Surpise! Surprise! Surprise!”

CC – BHO: “my Muslim faith”

CapedConservative on October 16, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Sarahcuda almost tears up here. It’s moving to see the Iron Lady get emotional.

promachus on October 16, 2008 at 10:28 AM

I got misty-eyed watching it. Thanks so much for linking that. I love Sarah Palin.

RushBaby on October 16, 2008 at 11:26 AM

FINALLY team McCain hits one out of the park.

MarkTheGreat on October 16, 2008 at 11:26 AM

McCain needs to attack Obama on his celebrity status again- Show the market dropping. Show Obama in July saying “I have a tax plan.” Show Obama at his Billy Joel/Springsteen concert. Show Putin invading Georgia. Show Obama at his James Taylor concert. Show Obama in September espousing the SAME plan. Show McCain’s speech about suspending the campaign to try to solve the crisis. Show Obama dancing on Oprah. Show Obama from last night espousing the SAME plan.

“Obama… he’ll take your money… but what we’ll he really do for you?”

Skywise on October 16, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Excellent ad.

More of these, please.

One thing that’s going to be weird this year — Obama is buying national spots, while McCain is buying in local markets in swing states.

Living in Massachusetts, I’ve seen hundreds of Obama ads in the last few weeks, and not a single McCain one.

Ads do work.

McCain is going to keep things close, and perhaps win, in the swing states — where it counts.

But Obama is going to do extremely well in both safe Democratic states and in safe Republican states.

ClintACK on October 16, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Right on!

Give them hell John.

rplat on October 16, 2008 at 11:36 AM

We need a web site where people can submit their videos stating

“I am Joe The Plumber. America is about opportunity and not having to fear that the government will penalize my success. I am Joe the Plumber.”

A few hundred of those videos and a story on the news will make this incredibly effective.

Mallard T. Drake on October 16, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Our only hope is the Bradley effect.

saiga on October 16, 2008 at 10:15 AM

eeyore?

Let’s roll.

ex-Democrat on October 16, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Great ad! A long time coming, and definitely worth a full minute on TV!

In an interview with ABC’s Diane Sawyer, Joe the Plumber himself said Obama’s tax plan was “socialist”. The dirty S-word!!! Make that into an ad, and Reagan Democrats will become McCain Democrats.

Steve Z on October 16, 2008 at 11:50 AM

This is a good ad. McCain’s camp needs to run it far and wide.

Run the Ad:

Dpet on October 16, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Maybe it would help to make an ad showing a specific example of Democrats “spreading the wealth” — such as when Democrats in Congress decided to make sure that more low-income people could get mortgages they weren’t qualified for under then-existing lending standards. So Congress, in an effort to promote more home ownership among low-income people (i.e. to “spread the wealth” of homeownership, because it not “fair” that not everybody can own a home) forces banks to make lots more sub-prime loans, and makes Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac buy up those crappy sub-prime loans, putting taxpayers on the hook for the bill when the real estate market crashes and tens of millions of the sub-prime loans go into default.

Yes, Democrats like Obama love to “spread the wealth.”
How’s that working out for you so far, American taxpayer?

AZCoyote on October 16, 2008 at 12:19 PM

We need a web site where people can submit their videos stating

Mallard T. Drake on October 16, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Best idea I’ve heard today. Also the McCain camp should hand out ‘I Am Joe The Plumber’ signs at rallies.

I’d offer to help, but what with living in the UK and all there’s only so much I can do…

EnglishMike on October 16, 2008 at 12:23 PM

By golly, thanks to Joe Wurzelbacher, I think he’s finally got it!

eigafan on October 16, 2008 at 12:33 PM

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Obama ends up with as high as 52% in the popular vote, even as he loses Pennsylvania, and the election. – ClintACK on October 16, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Not gonna happen. It won’t be a landslide for J-Mac, but it won’t be a sqeaker, either. The margin will be a comfortable one.

ManlyRash on October 16, 2008 at 1:05 PM

doctrinaire liberal!

Afraid to call a spade a spade. The problem with Obama is his color. Red.

Basilsbest on October 16, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Surprisingly simple concept but they never seem to get it.

mylegsareswollen on October 16, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Exactly! I think McC/Palin will win this time, but if the worst happens and Obambi/Pelousi/Reid happens, I’m definitely going John Galt.

Screw ‘em. Through hard work, determination, and paying for my own mistakes with my own time and money, most years I pay more in taxes than most people make in salary or wages. I’m blessed to live in this country where I am usually rewarded for the effort I expend.

But if that changes and I find myself punished for chasing down my personal American Dream, I’ll be postponing and throttling down my efforts. A lot of other people like me will be doing the same.

All those programs and promises the marxists are making to the unproductive and those who are parasites on our society won’t be possible, because those programs and promises take money, yours and mine alike.

Without that money, the undeserving will still have their hands out and they’ll grow angry that they’re not getting what the marxists have promised. Eventually the marxists will be thrown out of power and I’ll kick it back in high gear and do my best to make up for lost time.

I’ll be damned if the marxists will fund their revolution on my back. I pray others share this point of view.

techno_barbarian on October 16, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Bishop on October 16, 2008 at 10:46 AM

I believe, along with what you just said, that McCain’s actions over the last few weeks (that the media portrayed as erratic) will suddenly be seen as being ahead of what everyone else thought was going on.

csdeven on October 16, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Holy mackeral. That’s one good ad. Where do I give money in order to air that particular ad?

Theophile on October 16, 2008 at 6:37 PM