Canada stays Conservative

posted at 8:21 am on October 15, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Stephen Harper’s gamble on elections paid off last night, although he didn’t quite hit the jackpot he wanted.  Canadian voters gave the Conservatives a much stronger minority government but not quite a majority as they won 143 seats in Parliament.  The Liberal Party stumbled to only 77 seats, and may be looking for new leadership:

Stephen Harper’s Conservatives returned to power with a stronger, broadly based minority, facing a weakened opposition leader and ready to pursue an agenda that is likely to be aimed first and foremost at addressing the fallout in Canada from the economic storm sweeping the globe.

The results of Tuesday’s election deprived Mr. Harper of the majority he so desperately wanted when he killed his own minority government on Sept. 7 and showed Canadian voters wanted to keep the Conservatives on a leash during what the Tory leader acknowledged would be uncertain economic times ahead.

The Conservatives hope their tally and their wins in all regions of the country will give them enough power in the Commons to press ahead with their economic agenda, which, among other things, includes $50-billion in corporate tax cuts and possibly big buck solutions to easing the credit crunch. The party also promised in the campaign to enact a tougher crime package aimed at young offenders in particular.

Dion’s Grits lost almost 20 seats in Parliament, a major setback and a verdict on Dion’s leadership of what had been the dominant party in Canada for many years.  They have been reeling ever since the Adscam scandal in 2005 and have not found their footing since.  Canadians trust Harper’s Tories and the Prime Minister’s leadership, especially in precarious times.

This also represents an endorsement of Harper’s policies in Afghanistan, which is why this election has some additional import for the US.  Canada has been one of the most stalwart members of the NATO coalition, and one of the few willing to take a combat role in southern Afghanistan.  The lack of effort from other NATO members had created a backlash against the Harper government as casualties mounted, but France and other European nations agreed to bolster their contribution of combat troops, and Canada remained in the coalition.  This election shows that Harper still has the support of his nation for that mission.

They didn’t trust the Conservatives quite enough to give them a majority government, though, and that means the Liberals and Dion still have some relevance.  They’ll likely lead the opposition while Bloc Quebeçois completes the Conservative government.  If Harper can successfully navigate the global financial crisis, he may find himself with that elusive majority in the next election.  He plans to use a tax-cutting agenda to rescue Canada from the crisis — which is refreshing coming from our neighbors to the north, and would be the right agenda for the US as well.

My friend Michael Stickings live-blogged the election from the Liberal perspective, while my other friend Stephen Taylor live-twittered it from the Conservative perspective.

Comments

As a Canadian I’d like to think your analysis was spot on but to be honest the only reason we won is because dumbass freaking liberals are spread across 4 parties, 3 of which gained a considerable amount of votes. Oh well, I’m not complaining.

Darth Executor on October 15, 2008 at 8:24 AM

And for America — Prepare yourselves for the “Union of Soviet Socialist America” (USSA). I hope these fools understand what they have done.

rplat on October 15, 2008 at 8:25 AM

rplat on October 15, 2008 at 8:25 AM

Watch what you say. Dear Leader doesn’t take kindly to that kind of talk.

Darth Executor on October 15, 2008 at 8:26 AM

Canada gets it and we probably won’t.
I apologize for every sarcastic remark I ever made about you guys.
P.S- Gee, a principled conservative winning in a fairly liberal country- why didn’t the GOP think of that!

jjshaka on October 15, 2008 at 8:26 AM

What happened to the Reform Party or the Libertarian Party of Canada?

Have they been subsumed into the Conservative Party?

If not, how did they do??

You say there’s a split on the Left with 4 or 5 parties, but aren’t there a multitude of parties on the Right in Canada too?

ericdondero on October 15, 2008 at 8:27 AM

rplat on October 15, 2008 at 8:25 AM

I speak Canadian, and Canadian liberals have been so vocal on our loutishness on illegal immigration I am certain the Canadian conservatives wouldn’t welcome an additional 45 million “morally should be allowed to” voters….

sven10077 on October 15, 2008 at 8:27 AM

Way to go Canada! One down—-one to go.

Rovin on October 15, 2008 at 8:28 AM

ericdondero on October 15, 2008 at 8:27 AM

I don’t think there is a reform party and the libertarian party is about as relevant as the marijuana party.

Darth Executor on October 15, 2008 at 8:29 AM

Dave Drywall could not be reached for comment….

BigWyo on October 15, 2008 at 8:32 AM

Darth Executor on October 15, 2008 at 8:29 AM

some things are universal…

sven10077 on October 15, 2008 at 8:33 AM

rplat on October 15, 2008 at 8:25 AM

Watch what you say. Dear Leader doesn’t take kindly to that kind of talk.

Darth Executor on October 15, 2008 at 8:26 AM

Excellent advice . . . I’ll secure the bunker.

rplat on October 15, 2008 at 8:33 AM

Nope.

There are four main political parties, well five if you include the Greens (who still haven’t managed to win a seat, despite their ankle biting leader threatening legal action if she wasn’t allowed in the national debates).

You-Eh-Vee on October 15, 2008 at 8:35 AM

What do Canadians know that the sheeple in the USA don’t?

BrianA on October 15, 2008 at 8:36 AM

Dave Drywall could not be reached for comment….No doubt consoling himself with a quart of ice cream and watching some Bill Moyers reruns…. – BigWyo on October 15, 2008 at 8:32 AM

He;s cooling his heels after losing the bet. He’ll be back after Oct 17

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 8:37 AM

And this helps me how? So I should give a sh*t because……?

RWLA on October 15, 2008 at 8:38 AM

The headline, “Canada Stays Conservative” is a bit misleading. If you look at the results it was more of a crushing defeat of the Liberal Party. I’ve heard reports that as many as 20 seats could have fallen to the Conservatives, (when all the final results are in.)

The signifance of this victory should not be downplayed.

ericdondero on October 15, 2008 at 8:39 AM

The Canadians have been down the road with liberls in control of their lives. Americans have to go through what they have to learn that horrible lesson. We are on the verge of finding out how negative our lives can really be with a democratically controlled government. France, Poland and Germnay have move back to consevatism for the same reasons.

volsense on October 15, 2008 at 8:39 AM

If only Toronto would get out of their Fiberal Mindset, THEN we could have our Conservative Majority. Most of the 905 (the area surrounding Toronto), as well as most of the rest of Southern Ontario (where the majority of our population is) voted Conservative. Unfortunately, with Toronto having the largest portion of the population, as well as the immigrants, the Fiberals keep getting seats. Grrrr. Oh well, I guess we will have our chance for a Majority again in about another 2 years…
jjshaka – thanx for the apology. Makes me think that maybe all Yanks aren’t as self centred after all (kinda like Canucks aren’t all raging leftist…)
Now here’s hoping and praying for a McPalin win for you guys on Nov. 4!!!

pcbedamned on October 15, 2008 at 8:40 AM

You should give a sh*t because you now may have two options, instead of one, if Obama wins on Nov. 4th.

You can flee too Texas to join the Independence movement, as was originally available to you, or you can go North to Canada. Either way, you’ll be safe from the coming Fascism/Socialism of Obama.

ericdondero on October 15, 2008 at 8:41 AM

ericdondero on October 15, 2008 at 8:27 AM

What happened to the Reform Party or the Libertarian Party of Canada?

Have they been subsumed into the Conservative Party?

The Progressive Conservative and Reform parties merged into the Reform-Conservative Alliance Party and later changed their name to Conservative Party. I thought it would have been much better to put “Conservative” first in the name since the acronym is much more pronouncable.

Libertarians are inconsequential in Canada. The Rhino party usually gets more votes so serious Libertarians are probably in the CP (though there were some in the Greens before the current child of American Liberal immigrants took over).

We have about 12 parties altogether including at least two parties with “Communist” in the name (CPC and CPC-ML) and at least one Commie front (National party, iirc, the president of the NP is also president of one of the CPCs … trying to double his vote, I guess). ML=Marxist-Lennist.

gh on October 15, 2008 at 8:41 AM

Congratulations, Prime Minister Harper. He is a Canadian John Howard in the making. I have been missing John Howard so much, this will help a litle bit.

promachus on October 15, 2008 at 8:49 AM

Great result!

Even though the TO is a lefty bastion, it is still a lot less moonbatty than the Bay Area or Manhattan.

I guess certain people need to lay off the Canada jokes, especially if Barack X is selected as US president.

PimFortuynsGhost on October 15, 2008 at 8:52 AM

From HughHewitt.com

Just as they have in France, Germany and Italy and almost certainly will in Great Britain and Israel when elections are next held in those two states. It will be a “muscular minority” government to our north, but one committed to the dynamic capitalism that defines free and growing societies.

The world knows that the war with the jihadists is real and continuing, that Iran is bent on acquiring nuclear weapons, and that only a vigorous growth agenda based on low taxes and a slimmed down public sector is an answer to the international financial crisis.

Obama is leading McCain with three weeks and one debate to go, but the globe’s freest nations have set an example for the U.S. electorate in rejecting the failed path of big government statism at home combined with appeasement abroad.

We don’t have to try Carter 2.0 with all the costs that entails. We don’t have to follow Europe’s and Canada’s failed path before returning to our own, hugely successful way.

Obama-Pelosi-Reid will be an enormous set-back to freedom around the globe and to the economy at home. It will be a sad irony if the U.S.is the only electorate among the leading nations of the world not to realize this at this crucial juncture.

Keemo on October 15, 2008 at 8:52 AM

I see the results as good news to Republican Americans who have been listening to negative polls and discouraging media. In yesterday’s Canadian election, the Conservatives did much better than the polls indicated and the media expected. YAY!

Carol on October 15, 2008 at 8:54 AM

I watched some of the coverage last night and wished that American pundits were up to the same standard. One guy- asked if Dion would make a grand gesture of resigning his leadership role during his speech responded only if one spotted pig flying by just before he was set to give it. I just don’t see artifacts like Katie Couric or Tom Brokaw showing any sort of humor- particularly if the guy they’ve been campaigning for isn’t doing well.

highhopes on October 15, 2008 at 8:56 AM

This also represents an endorsement of Harper’s policies in Afghanistan,

Actually on the first or second day of the election, Harper announced we were leaving Afghanistan in 2011. (Which is what the Liberals wanted). He effectively took the issue off the table to win more seats in Quebec, which did not happen.

But make no mistake, this was a major victory for the Tories. They held on to their seats in Quebec and even won in PEI for the first time since 1984.

The most significant development is the increase in Conservative support in some downtown ridings in Toronto, including their victory in the heavily Jewish riding of Thornhill. This is the first Tory seat in downtown Toronto in 20 years.

All in all, Harper is positioned for a majoririty in the next election — either from increased support in Quebec or increased support in downtown T.O. and Vancouver.

CanadianGuy on October 15, 2008 at 8:58 AM

Canada goes conservative, USA about to go full blown Commie. Wake me up from this nightmare

jp on October 15, 2008 at 9:02 AM

Dave Drywall could not be reached for comment….

He’s holed up somewhere working on that extensive and yet easily-compiled list of racist Rush Limbaugh quotes. There are just so many it’s taken him longer than expected to get back to us.

saint kansas on October 15, 2008 at 9:02 AM

promachus on October 15, 2008 at 8:49 AM

I have been missing John Howard too. It looks like Labor’s Honeymoon period in Australia is coming to an end. Also New Zealand is going to the polls on 8th November and the conservatives are looking very likely to take power there as well.

The US doesn’t have to repeat Australia’s mistake.

Crux Australis on October 15, 2008 at 9:04 AM

How exactly does one define a Canadian conservative?? Is there actually such a thing?

Illinidiva on October 15, 2008 at 9:04 AM

Don’t worry if Obama is elected he will fix those Racists in Canada with NAFTA, heck we will just buy all our oil from Comrade Chavez.

cmptrnerd on October 15, 2008 at 9:08 AM

Time to start building your southern wall, Canada, you may have your own ‘economic refugee’ problem if Odolta gets elected.

Bishop on October 15, 2008 at 9:09 AM

Now that they are not doing anything, could they come run our campaign for a few weeks.

Thune on October 15, 2008 at 9:10 AM

He;s cooling his heels after losing the bet. He’ll be back after Oct 17

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 8:37 AM

I hadn’t realized you won the bet. Good for you. And good for explaining Drywall’s absence. Honorable.

On another note, here’s something to add to your “vision” thing:

In the middle of the night last night, half-awake and half-asleep, I suddenly had the odd thought that McCain’s entire life has been leading to the point where he exists as the ultimate object of hatred for others. It was like I knew he was going to win, and that he would become the most reviled President in history, as is his wont. It will make Bush hatred look like child’s play. He will often be alone against a vicious reptilian Congress, and without the eager support of the conservatives. He is a man made for that, although I have no understanding of why. I should read a biography on him.

Anyhow, I don’t put too much store in reaching conclusions by “feeling” my way to them, but in this case my gut was trying to reach my brain.

JiangxiDad on October 15, 2008 at 9:13 AM

Good to know. I may just move my family up there in January.

You’d think that if countries like CANADA, GERMANY AND FRANCE can elect conservative leaders at this time in history, WE certainly could as well.

ErinF on October 15, 2008 at 9:14 AM

You know, with the conservative wave in Canada and elsewhere…perhaps that means these polls guessing that Voter ID is at 1976 levels in favoring Dems are way off and it really is much more like what showed up in 2006. If so its a really close race and Mac may be winning.

the pollsters are going with conventional wisdom that Voter ID is way out of skew in favor of dems. Electorate is vastly different than it was in the mid 70′s though

jp on October 15, 2008 at 9:14 AM

Geraghty a NRO has a posting on historical Voter ID and the polls which is interesting

jp on October 15, 2008 at 9:15 AM

PimFortuynsGhost on October 15, 2008 at 8:52 AM

Not only lay off, but I would suggest they be re-written to make Americans looks as asinine as they clearly would be.

JiangxiDad on October 15, 2008 at 9:17 AM

An endorsement of Harper’s Afghanistan policy, Ed? That’s the policy where we leave in 2011, right? Also, remember that Chretien was the PM when troops were first sent and the Liberals under Dion voted in step with the government regarding the 2011 pullout. In other words, Afghanistan had little or nothing to do with the outcome.

Also, keep in mind that our Christians do not have the kind of power up here that they do down there. They don’t even pretend that they do. It’s a wing we really don’t have to cater to.

Finally, Canadian conservatives are to the left of your Democrats. Actually, US conservatives are the rightest right wingers in the world.

Krydor on October 15, 2008 at 9:23 AM

highhopes on October 15, 2008 at 8:56 AM

You need to remember that we Canadians are still mighty British in our humour and manners. Our sense of humour tends to be dry and witty, and we are sometimes so polite it borders on boredom. Hence our obsessions with Yankee dirty politics. What falls for dirty politics here is – someone catches on camera a bird pooping on Dion. Runs an ad featuring it. PM Harper APOLOGIZES and the ad is pulled. Yep, THAT my friends is what constitutes ‘dirty politics’ in Canada. Yanks provide the outlet for our pent up nastiness…:)

pcbedamned on October 15, 2008 at 9:25 AM

I’d just like to say a few words here.

First of all, as a long time resident of the Buffalo, NY area, AND a one-time resident of Ontario, Canada (Yes, I was a Canadian citizen at one time. My sister holds dual-citizenship on account of her being born in Canada.) I would like to say that I LOVE Canadians. Now that Canada is moving to a more conservative stance, I love them even more.

Honestly, if the Barack Hussein Obama is elected on November, I may consider a move north. I suspect that a Dem super-majority would move us RADICALLY towards full-bore Communism. If that happens, I honestly think that we may see a new Civil War. A good chunk of the American people will NOT stand for a Communist government, and it’s entirely possible that large portions of our armed forces will not either.

Frankly, I may have to move my family to Canada to keep them safe. I’m not physically fit enough to fight, Although if called to defend America from the Commies I will serve in any way I am able.

Either way, I don’t forsee a peaceful outcome if B.H.O. wins on Nov. 4th. I personally see violence within one year, and civil war in two, IF the Dems move us in the direction they want to. If they have a supermajority in Congress and the White house, I don’t see what would stop them. Other than war.

All I can say is: Get out and VOTE on November. it is CRITICAL that John McCain not lose. we CANNOT allow a commie pinko like Barack Hussein Obama in the white house, and we CANNOT allow the Dems to have supermajority control of Congress.

The only things we have to lose are our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor.

wearyman on October 15, 2008 at 9:29 AM

Thornhill is a Toronto suburb. The City of Toronto itself is still red (Liberal) and orange (NDP).

YYZ on October 15, 2008 at 9:30 AM

I would have rather we got a majority but what can you do, sometimes a strong minority makes for the best government. The left and far left in Canada have had BDS as strong as the tards in the US if not stronger at times. Bush was mentioned more times as a bogey man in the Canadian election than he is being referred to in the US election.

I like that Harper has declared our leaving Afghanistan in 2011. He said it with a shoulder shrug and rolled eyes kind of approach meaning that in 2011 we will have been there ten years and if Afghanistan can’t organize and train an army to tackle hill bandits, then something is fishy and someone is being played for suckers.

BL@KBIRD on October 15, 2008 at 9:33 AM

ericdondero on October 15, 2008 at 8:41 AM

If Obama wins I’m moving to Alaska.

OneGyT on October 15, 2008 at 9:33 AM

A small glimmer of hope in a world lurching toward nihilism.

whitetop on October 15, 2008 at 9:37 AM

Lord tunderin’ Jesus, I sez.

TheSitRep on October 15, 2008 at 9:38 AM

Darth Executor on October 15, 2008 at 8:24 AM

I agree. While the conservatives united (PC and Alliance), the liberals have fragmented (Liberals, NDP, Green, other). Maybe this shows that Harper is a uniter and the liberals are selfish and egoistic, with everyone wants to catch his/her own spot light.

AlexB on October 15, 2008 at 9:40 AM

You are wrong Canadianguy,

There are no conservative elected in Montreal, the minister of International trade Michael Fortier lost his seat because of angry voters for Harper’s decision to cut funds in culture. This is why Harper lost his majority. It is a clear decision from English Canada to let French Quebec rule themselves. According to Harper’s vision, the provinces should be autonomous and more like USA.

Monas on October 15, 2008 at 9:49 AM

Something about the Canadian election that might give my American friends reason for quiet optimism.

Prior to the vote polls showed the liberal and conservatives within 4 points of one another: Conservatives 34%, Liberals 30%.

The actual result:Conservatives 37.6%, Liberals 26.2%.

This more than 7 point difference,favoring conservatives, in outcome over polling could mean the difference between a McCain or Obama administration.

Let’s hope for the best.

bongo on October 15, 2008 at 9:53 AM

Congrats to our northern neighbors.

I only hope we will do as well, electing a conservative leader over a divided government…

ClintACK on October 15, 2008 at 9:54 AM

Maybe Alec Baldwin was on to something 4 years ago?

Dudley Smith on October 15, 2008 at 9:55 AM

Canada has had it’s own “restive Muslims” for quite some time. They are called Quebecers….;-).

BL@KBIRD on October 15, 2008 at 9:57 AM

It was amusing to watch the Cdn.liberal media squirm and restrain themselves from soiling their silk as the numbers came in. Take heart America there is mostly hype and bamboozlement to the Mahdi’s presumed total dominance.

BL@KBIRD on October 15, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Finally, Canadian conservatives are to the left of your Democrats.

That’s a lie.

Maybe some are on par with US dems, but to the Left?

Give me a break. Have you seen the current US Democratic party? They just elected the most Liberal candidate since Kennedy.

What you’re seeing is a very cautious minority Canadian Conservative party. Harper is still a right winger.

You-Eh-Vee on October 15, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Of course I voted for Harper

I’m glad harper et al won, but it’s hardly a resounding victory. In Quebec the Bloc -a party that favors breaking out of Canada – won the federal election.

In the maritimes it’s always about welfare and unemployment, so the liberals always win.

In Ontario is election featured a liberal pledge to rape Alberta via a carbon tax collected at source versus Harper’s basic decency. Greed won.

In the west almost everybody despises either Quebec or Ontario and so voted almost unanimously against the parties those regions supported and so.. “harper won.”

Part of the frustration here arises because this was a presidential style election -without any of the checks and balances that go with that.

So “Yeah Canada” we collectively did the right thing – and maybe a few people did, but most of us just voted against what we perceived as the greater evil.

Paul Murphy on October 15, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Maybe Alec Baldwin was on to something 4 years ago?

Dudley Smith on October 15, 2008 at 9:55 AM

Yeah, it’s amazing. Canada is seen as a refuge by both the right and the left. Maybe we should make the US a lib country, and Canada a conservative country (or vice versa), and everyone moves accordingly.

JiangxiDad on October 15, 2008 at 10:13 AM

These ‘culture cuts’ you mention are to prevent further squandering of tax payers money.

From the Canada Council for the Arts website:

“Istvan Kantor…In Liaison Inter-Urbain,…dug a shallow grave, inserted a vial of his blood into his anus and contorted himself upside-down so that the blood flowed into his mouth.”

This gentlemen won the Governors General Award in Visual Media along with a healthy cheque of the publics tax dollars.

Sorry, but I don’t feel like cutting cheques for pretentious, avant-garde bullshit like this. Instead, Harper did the right thing will be offering a $500.00 tax credit for children active in music, art and drama classes.

You-Eh-Vee on October 15, 2008 at 10:18 AM

That’s a lie.

Maybe some are on par with US dems, but to the Left?

A lie? Really? A LIE? Or and OPINION based on over 20 years of observation? I wonder… I wonder…

Yes, to the left.

Bully for them. Centre right in the rest of the world is left of the American Democratic Party. If Obama is as liberal as JFK, then America will be just fine, and farther right, than Canada.

I wonder who President Obama will invade first? Your liberals, you see, like to invade countries just as much as your conservatives. I think Pakistan is on his list, or Darfur. Regardless, Americans love to invade things.

You-Eh-Vee

You’re seeing a lost majority because Harper didn’t kowtow to Quebec. Right winger in Canada means “guys who don’t spend a bunch of money or overtax the populace.”

Krydor on October 15, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Some Corrections.

CanadianGuy on October 15, 2008 at 8:58 AM

Thornhill is NOT downtown toronto. It’s not even in the metropolitan region. Got to new.cbc.ca and click on full coverage where they have a flash app, which lets you zoom in and out so you can see each riding by party and click for results. Metro Toronto has 2 orange ridings (NDP leader and his wife — both former city councillors) and the rest are red (liberal).

Monas on October 15, 2008 at 9:49 AM

Harper did not have a majority. He gained 20 seats and still does not have one.

gh on October 15, 2008 at 10:28 AM

pcbedamned on October 15, 2008 at 9:25 AM

So essentially American campaigns are political equivilent of the E! Channel or tabloid journalism? How I wish it were really that highbrow! The Onion satire of the little girl’s attack plan written in crayon is more accurate. :(

By the time an election cycle is over, I usually don’t want any of the candidates because of all the negative attack ads- and neither should anybody else if the claims made are all true (which rarely is the case). I’ll take a dynamic where pooping birds cause controversy any day over what we’ve got.

highhopes on October 15, 2008 at 10:29 AM

jp on October 15, 2008 at 9:02 AM

Point me to employment opportunities in Canada! Though Canadian law and conservative values are often at odds with one another.

highhopes on October 15, 2008 at 10:33 AM

JFK would be drummed out of the current Democrat party for being too far to the right. Suggesting that Obama might be “as liberal” as JFK is absurd. It’s problematic if Stalin is “as conservative” as Obama!

highhopes on October 15, 2008 at 10:37 AM

You do realize, I live in CANADA, right?

Go ask Obama what his policy on Iraq is/was.

I’ll take your 20 years of observation and raise you 10. Harper is still to the right of US dems – well, most of them.

Harper was crucified for his Iraq support and compared to George Bush over 15 times by the other party members during the debates.

OUR Liberals brought Canada into Afghanistan and kept them inside the wire for over 6 years. The Conservatives are the ones who put ammo in their rifles and told them to go kill Taliban – which they’re doing excellently.

You-Eh-Vee on October 15, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Hey, those of us up north would be happy to take in a bunch of conservative minded self starters if things go badly in November. Move to Toronto and drive them bonkers!

And even better, now even if McCain wins we should not have to worry about an influx of HollyWierd whiners moving up here. They can go someplace they would be welcome……….can anyone think of a place?

Jim708 on October 15, 2008 at 10:50 AM

At least Canada has a few brain cells still on speaking terms.

spmat on October 15, 2008 at 10:52 AM

I just discovered from a reliable source that the Democrats have had the current election campaign basically on auto-pilot ever since they succeeded in getting McCain nominated by organizing their rank-and-file to crossover in the early Republican primaries.

The Democratic Party has just finalized their plans for 2012. They are going to get McCain nominated AGAIN by doing the exact same thing they did this year.

jay12 on October 15, 2008 at 10:55 AM

They just elected the most Liberal candidate since Kennedy.

You-Eh-Vee on October 15, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Are you referring to Bobby or John? You might have something of a point with Bobby (not really), but John was certainly not a liberal. He was the first president to cut taxes since FDR, and he was a staunch anti-communist. He was no Goldwater, to be sure, but he was hardly a liberal in the same Marxism-with-fries way as Obama.

spmat on October 15, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Finally, Canadian conservatives are to the left of your Democrats.

Bullshite. While we Canucks have always had a little bit more of a liberal bent to our governments, conservatives are conservatives there.

I can guarantee that Steven Harper won because we are sick of watching the liberals in the Liberal party play it fast and loose with our money, our policies, and our rights. Steven Harper is a step in the good direction. But considering our recent governments of the Libs, that don’t take much.

mjk on October 15, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Krydor on October 15, 2008 at 9:23 AM

How far to the left? Can you give examples?

unclesmrgol on October 15, 2008 at 11:22 AM

The actual result:Conservatives 37.6%, Liberals 26.2%.

bongo on October 15, 2008 at 9:53 AM

Good to know. I think the only poll here that has Obama with a commanding (15 pt.) lead is that CBS/NYT poll, and that poll simply isn’t very credible. CBS and NYT are both ultra-liberal organizations which don’t even bother to try and hide their bias (or their Obama cheerleading) anymore, and both also have histories of less-than-ethical behavior to push their liberal agenda. The other polls have McCain within 5 points or so, which (even if accurate) is not an insurmountable lead by any means. I’m still very optimistic about a McCain win, but with expectations for an Obama win as high as they are among certain groups, I’m also anticipating some violence if McCain does pull it out.

Anyway, congratulations to Canadian voters for demonstrating some good sense in these trying times. It does give us hope here that we can do the same.

AZCoyote on October 15, 2008 at 11:26 AM

I’ve never understood why anyone would pick on Canada, as some have here. A beautiful country, good people, who seem to be trending Conservative. I live in a border state, and have visited Canada many times. Joe Bob says check it out.

Doug on October 15, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Well at least your form of democracy is reflecting the will of the people. Our democracy has been bought and paid for. First, by taking over the Universities and next the media which should have protecting democracy but failed because the brainwashing was sucessful. Now the election process is taken over. Next the courts. I see many many years of darkness and no way to get our freedom back.

petunia on October 15, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Looks like it’s time to move to Canadia. Not to run from war, like cowards do, but to find conservatives.

America is bankrupt in that area.

madmonkphotog on October 15, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Madmonk, where is CANA-DIA my friend?

Monas on October 15, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Ed, What about them gallup-ing polls leading up to the election in Canada?

Any reports on their accuracy?

Mcguyver on October 15, 2008 at 12:18 PM

I’ve often wondered whether the majority of regular Americans have the stomach for a real civil war. With ,like, real fighting and killing and stuff.
We have let so many freedoms slide away from us, what’s a few more? I believe the change will come like a thief in the night. Most won’t recognize it until it’s too late.
It’s already been happening since the New Deal.
The govt already controls the states bcs they gave up their right to govern themselves when they started accepting Federal whore $$.
I’m not sayin’ it’s over. But our city on a hill is burning.
The rest of the world seems to take joy in this misery.

Badger40 on October 15, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Canada stays Conservative

Will Hollywood conservatives threaten to move to Canada if BO wins?

jgapinoy on October 15, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Krydor on October 15, 2008 at 9:23 AM

Well Krydor, I am a Canadian & an Israeli with 33 years of observation and I don’t know where you came up with this, it is total hyperbole and leagues away from true. There’s not a single part of that statement that is anywhere near accurate actually no offense intended.

saus on October 15, 2008 at 12:58 PM

The actual result:Conservatives 37.6%, Liberals 26.2%.

That’s one poll, but the tracking poll done over the weekend had it exactly right. Also, at no point during the entire campaign were the Conservatives ever behind.

YYZ on October 15, 2008 at 1:36 PM

rplat on October 15, 2008 at 8:25 AM

You speak for me, and make me cry for my country, and for the world. ‘Humanity’ is regressing.

Entelechy on October 15, 2008 at 2:59 PM

What happened to the Reform Party or the Libertarian Party of Canada?

The Reform Party merged with the Progressive Conservative Pary to become the Conservative Party of Canada, the party led by PM Stephen Harper. This merger eliminated the vote split on the right which…because of a vote split that has now developed on the left…has allowed the Conservatives to win two elections.

This governemt may last 18 to 24 months, depending on how eager the Liberals will be to have an election sooner rather than later. Due to opposition disarray, PM Harper was able to govern as though he had a majority, even though he had a minority situation…we will see if he does that again.

That all said, the Liberal are likely to have a leadership change within the next year or so. The likely winner will be Michael Ignatieff…I cannot imagine Bob Rae, the former NDP (socialist) premier of Ontario whose government was a complete disaster, becoming Liberal leader. Ignatieff is hard to pin down ideologically as his views have changed over time on many things.

Once he is leader, however, the election will be very fascinating because it present a choice between two highly intelligent leaders.

Blaise on October 15, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Krydor on October 15, 2008 at 9:23 AM

I live in the Detroit area and have many Canadian friends and relatives. I must take issue with your statement.

Many Canadian conservatives are not far from what we would consider a libertarian conservative in the United States. Since I have observed this to be the core of the conservative movement in the U.S. as well, your statement is probably not accurate even in a general sense. You probably have read too much media propaganda that tries to portray the conservative movement in the U.S. as wackos.

Hawthorne on October 15, 2008 at 3:09 PM

saus on October 15, 2008 at 12:58 PM

First off, CPC social policy is light years away from the Republican party. We had, as you recall, a free vote on gay marriage and then it was over. The country, somehow, survived.

Canadian conservatives do not invoke God to pretend to take the moral high ground. If a Canadian politician decides to wedge religion into his/her politics, it ends badly. Seriously.

The Canadian conservative party is far more open. There are ELECTED MUSLIMS who are a part of the CPC. In Quebec, there was an openly gay dude running last election. Abortion is off the table, as is Capital Punishment. If these issues are brought up (as in, let’s ban abortion and reinstate capital punishment) the party bringing them up will be lucky to remain a party at the end of it. Gun control is acceptable to the CPC, just as long as it’s done in a fiscally responsible way.

Krydor on October 15, 2008 at 3:31 PM

rplat on October 15, 2008 at 8:25 AM

I think it would be UASS – Union of American Socialist States
or more profoundly “The u-ASS”

Lioxani4 on October 15, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Funny, I never realized that the Republican Party was the gold standard of “conservatism” and anything to the left of them is not “conservative”.

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on October 15, 2008 at 4:10 PM

I really wish Morissey would avoid commenting on issues of which he is largely ignorant. Catholicism being one, Canadian politics being another. The self-satisfied spewage of quarter-baked ideas that results is just embarassing.

“The Liberal Party stumbled to only 77 seats…”
76. Is it that hard to quote the numbers correctly?

“Dion’s Grits lost almost 20 seats in Parliament…”
Try 27. 103-76=27. Really, it’s not that hard.

“This also represents an endorsement of Harper’s policies in Afghanistan…”
No, unfortunately the campaign had pretty much nothing to do with Afghanistan. The Grits lost because of a piece of idiocy called the “Green Shift” and because Canadians prefer to stick with the devil you know during financial turmoil. Also Dion comes across as a semi-coherent moron.

“[The Grits]’ll likely lead the opposition while Bloc Quebeçois completes the Conservative government.”
What?? The Bloc Quebecois (spelled with a hard ‘c’ incidentally, not an accent cedille) will be in the opposition, along with the Liberals and NDP. They will not “complete” the Conservative government, whatever that means. They are a hard left party that also advocates the separation of Quebec from Canada so there will be no coalition between them and the Conservatives. The Conservatives will govern alone with supporting votes from the Liberals on confidence matters since the Libs are in no position to face another election.

Helps to know what the eff you’re talking about, eh? Try it before belching this tripe.

Gaunilon on October 15, 2008 at 4:13 PM

ericdondero on October 15, 2008 at 8:41 AM

I’d take my chances in Texas.

Sapwolf on October 15, 2008 at 6:05 PM

“The Liberal Party stumbled to only 77 seats…”
76. Is it that hard to quote the numbers correctly?

“Dion’s Grits lost almost 20 seats in Parliament…”
Try 27. 103-76=27. Really, it’s not that hard.

“This also represents an endorsement of Harper’s policies in Afghanistan…”

Gaunilon on October 15, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Hey Gaunilon,

Why have not the other provinces in Canada thrown Quebec out of Cananda?

If I lived in Canada outside of Quebec, I’d be so enthusiastic to get Quebec out.

Is there any support to kick them out?

I know in the USA I would love it if we kicked Massachusetts out along with CA, NY, RI, MI out of the union.

?