Audio: Laura Ingraham versus Heather MacDonald on Palin and identity politics

posted at 3:46 pm on October 15, 2008 by Allahpundit

The 15 most entertaining minutes you’ll spend today, unless Maverick turns to Obama tonight and asks, “So, what’s up with you and terrorists?” The identity politics argument is tangential, really; most of the time is spent dancing around the questions of judgment and experience. Ingraham politely reminds MacDonald that The One has neither and MacDonald reminds Ingraham that he’s at least able to talk intelligently about the issues, demonstrating that he’s thought about them to an extent Palin hasn’t (yet, anyway). Ultimately, she’s making the same point as Buckley: They’re both confident that Obama has a first-rate intellect and a first-rate temperament, to borrow a phrase that’s been circulating, and so they’re both trusting somewhat blindly that he’ll take an intellectual, pragmatic approach to problem-solving rather than a nakedly ideological one. The bet, quite simply, is that events will pull him to the center. That’s some bet.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

TheBigOldDog on October 15, 2008 at 4:44 PM

heh…you’re gonna make me walk through Freeperville?

Thanks :-) Checking it out…

JetBoy on October 15, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Fun audio! Heather MacDonald really had nothing here. In no way does Obama’s experience even line up with Palin’s (and he’s ostensibly the “top of the ticket”!)

Beatnik Joe on October 15, 2008 at 4:54 PM

First Question: “On what specific issues are you closer to Obama than to Sarah Palin”

Answer: Jabber like a retarded monkey for a while, then say something about how incredibly terrific Obama’s “judgement” is.

Second Question: “OK, then; what has Obama ever actually DONE that shows he has good judgment?

Answer: “Uh, Uh… Sarah Palin is stupid!”

So, this MacDonald feeb writes for something called the New York City Journal?

For like the fifth time today: Why do I care who the Hell she’s going to vote for?

logis on October 15, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Obama is already hammering the phrases: economic crisis and national emergency. This will be the rationale used to justify sweeping bills that will have the effect of centralizing power even more and “bringing about change”.

hillbillyjim on October 15, 2008 at 4:55 PM

did anyone else notice the Freudian slip at 2:17?

el75 on October 15, 2008 at 4:21 PM

I noticed two.

If I was charitable, I’d chalk them up to MacDonald having a speech impediment, or possible choking on her herbal tea.

I’m not.

The dropping of the “c” word, closely followed by describing Palin as wanting to break the “black…errr…glass ceiling” made me think she was getting ahead of her Osama Obama talking points sheet.

MrScribbler on October 15, 2008 at 4:55 PM

I don’t think trailboss and others have considered seriously what an Obama administration coupled with a Pelosi House and a filibuster-proof Reid Senate (God forbid) would be capable of doing in four years (besides attempting to put a lock on four more.)

hillbillyjim on October 15, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Oh, I have seriously considered it, and I don’t believe we are on the edge of the precipice. We’ll survive it. Obama is not Hitler nor Stalin, McCain is not a conservative, and Palin doesn’t yet know what she is, other than anti-abortion.

trailboss on October 15, 2008 at 4:56 PM

I can’t help but notice the most hardcore conservative women have not flinched at all on Palin. Coulter, Malkin, Ingraham.

kangjie on October 15, 2008 at 4:19 PM

Yep. True colors. These three would never vote for Obama.

Yes, Coulter had a thing for JFK, jr., but never would have voted for a Kennedy.

Noonan HAS a thing for Obama. I’ve noticed over her columns over the last six months. She for sure has fantasized about Obama as I have about Palin. No doubt.

Yes, women fantasize about men. It’s true.

Sapwolf on October 15, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Physics Geek on October 15, 2008 at 3:49 PM

You owe me a monitor! (Must remember not to take a drink just as I begin reading posts.)

Jed1899 on October 15, 2008 at 4:07 PM

You owe me the monitor I just used to replace the last one!

Could be I just have a drinking problem…

kybowexar on October 15, 2008 at 4:58 PM

America is far greater than what one man can do to it.

JetBoy on October 15, 2008 at 4:44 PM

The problem is that we have taken this for granted for too long. We have become a little lazy. What has made America the greatest is its people. And we have let the education system (at all levels), the media, Hollywood, the attack on the American family and the promotion of the culture of entitlement, chip away at the principles that made us.
Yes, it will not fall because of one man, but this has to be a wake-up call to re-take and reform these institutions to support the values that makes us the greatest nation on earth.
This one man will have the power to implement policies that will further erode our strengths.

neuquenguy on October 15, 2008 at 4:58 PM

realize a minority of republicans are all energized and stuff over Palin
And now you’ve completely discreditted yourself.

Esthier on October 15, 2008 at 4:52 PM

The hell I have. Do you know how to read polls? Or do you think they are just a conspiracy. Palin has not helped McCain….she got the base all giddy and they can remain giddy while thier taxes fly higher and higher because the country isnt going to elect a ticket with a veep who doesnt know which newspapers she reads….or what is in them.

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 4:59 PM

GAME OVER MAN!! GAME OVER!!

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 4:50 PM

There you go again, Roger! (h/t Ronald Reagan)

What Laura also said is the choice is between McCain/Palin and Osama Obama/Biden.

We don’t have another choice in this election.

You want to keep whimpering because your dog isn’t in the hunt — or maybe he is and you’re a troll; who knows? — that’s your right.

But doing that will destroy America by handing power to the worst choice in our lifetimes, if not in American history, and I don’t want to think you really want to do that.

MrScribbler on October 15, 2008 at 5:00 PM

did anyone else notice the Freudian slip at 2:17?

el75 on October 15, 2008 at 4:21 PM

No, but don’t make me go through it again! So what was it?

kybowexar on October 15, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Do you know how to read polls?

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 4:59 PM

Obviously better than you can.

The only time McCain was up in the polls was directly after picking Palin. He destroyed the post convent bounce Obama was supposed to receive and gained double digit millions for the RNC.

Republicans lose when the economy loses. It’s the economy, stupid.

Esthier on October 15, 2008 at 5:02 PM

neuquenguy on October 15, 2008 at 4:58 PM

Truth. Without something real to fight against, there will be no fight. Obama is still a future nightmare, not a real policy maker, and until he is, we will have nothing real to fight against.

trailboss on October 15, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Yes, women fantasize about men. It’s true.

Sapwolf on October 15, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Depends on the men.

Esthier on October 15, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Is that really necessary? Plenty of beautiful women don’t like her either.

Esthier on October 15, 2008 at 4:51 PM

I think it’s the elephant in the room for some of these people.

Kensington on October 15, 2008 at 5:04 PM

a veep who doesnt know which newspapers she reads….or what is in them.

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 4:59 PM

Good for her. You don’t have to read the NYT to be informed. And why pay for the opposition’s propaganda rags?

neuquenguy on October 15, 2008 at 5:05 PM

We don’t have another choice in this election.

I realize that and I will be voting for McCain/Palin…hopefully I will be drunk….but I will be voting for them.

That doesnt discount the fact that McCain is going to lose this election because he doesnt understand economics, is erratic (suspending his campaign? please), and now he wants the government to but home loans where the borrower is upside down…a recipe for disaster as it incentivises people to walk away from their home loans…scott free.

And Palin was his first presidential decision and it was horrid. The chick cant put together 3 or 4 sentences about the economy, foreign policy, etc. It just aint right.

So, I am voting for them….but anybody can see that they are toast…and the republicans deserve to lose. The way they treated Romney, they can all bite me anyway.

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 5:05 PM

neuquenguy on October 15, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Is that really necessary? Plenty of beautiful women don’t like her either.

Esthier on October 15, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Further, I think I bought into your premise a bit more than is warranted. My picture shows an unhappy sourpuss, and I think one of the things that sourpusses like Mac Donald and Parker hate about Palin is her unbridled good cheer.

That has nothing to do with physical attractiveness. Noonan and Parker are both attractive, and so is Mac Donald, but all of them are sour harpies when it comes to Palin.

Kensington on October 15, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Can you name one entitlement program that has been reversed by the federal government? Or one whose unintended consequences are hurting many to this day?

Once these socialistic programs are implemented, it is easier to stop a locomotive with bicycle brakes than to end them, and most snowball into titanic proportions.

I truly believe we are at a crossroads now with the confluence of events present today.

hillbillyjim on October 15, 2008 at 5:09 PM

a veep who doesnt know which newspapers she reads….or what is in them.

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 4:59 PM

It’s likely she doesn’t read newspapers. Considering most of them are losing money, the more apt question would be, who does?

They’re so full of their own self importance that they believe it’s the only way to get the news, but the fact that you seem to buy it as well says far more about you.

Esthier on October 15, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Typo:

aren’t hurting many….

hillbillyjim on October 15, 2008 at 5:10 PM

Obviously better than you can.

Republicans lose when the economy loses. It’s the economy, stupid.

Esthier on October 15, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 5:10 PM

Good night, MacDonald went there. Her argument is, in part, based upon the contention that Sarah needs to STFU and stay in the kitchen. By nominating her, we’ve “given up ground” on family values.

/facepalm

spmat on October 15, 2008 at 5:11 PM

She didnt know the name of a newspaper…that was scary

Got astrotuf?

Kensington on October 15, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Esthier on October 15, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Guilty as charged. You got me there. I read the Wall Street Journal and a couple other papers (typically on line). I must be stupid. I wish I was as smart as Sarah Palin and could draw a blank when asked “so, what newspapers, and magazines and such do you read to keep up on current events” Answer: uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 5:13 PM

That has nothing to do with physical attractiveness.

Kensington on October 15, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Really? So you didn’t mean to post that picture because it makes her look ugly? You only posted it because it makes her look unhappy?

I don’t want to call you a liar as I don’t know you at all, but forgive me, because I’m certainly skeptical.

Esthier on October 15, 2008 at 5:14 PM

As much as I can’t stand Obama, I have no doubt this great country will still be here, and still be the greatest, if Obama were to *shudder* be our President.

America is far greater than what one man can do to it.

JetBoy on October 15, 2008 at 4:44 PM

JetBoy, the Communist Party USA is excited right now. They think they are about to turn a corner. They like Obama. A lot.

If it were just Obama, I might be inclined to agree with you – but he’ll have the Senate and House, as well. Remember what Maxine Waters said about the oil companies? They can do one hell of a lot of damage in a short period of time. No doubt. And they plan on starting on November 5th.

capitalist piglet on October 15, 2008 at 5:15 PM

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Granted, it wasn’t one of her best moments, but I don’t think it is fair to characterize her as an Idiot.
I think she has the potential to be be a very effective leader, not only in governance but in inspiring and educating the public, in practical ways, on conservative issues such as self-sufficiency, personal responsibility, dignity of life and sacrifice, patriotism. This is in my view more important for our nation’s future than being a policy wonk.

neuquenguy on October 15, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Why does it have to be one or the other? I think her attitude is what makes her unnattractive, primarily. Quite frankly, a smiling picture of an unnattractive Heather Mac Donald really wouldn’t have done the trick, in my opinion, and I’ll bet there probably aren’t a lot of them anyway.

Kensington on October 15, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Waters, you don’t know what the heck you are talking about.

Vince on October 15, 2008 at 5:17 PM

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Even you aren’t stupid enough to believe that. She didn’t say she didn’t know the name of any newspaper – she simply refused to name one. You might want to keep your petty criticisms of her in the realm of reality, at least.

capitalist piglet on October 15, 2008 at 5:17 PM

Too bad, I liked Macdonald’s work but she comes off like a moron here.

echosyst on October 15, 2008 at 5:18 PM

Waters, you don’t know what the heck you are talking about.

Vince on October 15, 2008 at 5:17 PM

Now that I think about it, I’ve never seen Maxine and Roger in the same room at th…

capitalist piglet on October 15, 2008 at 5:18 PM

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Most likely Sarah was trying to perceive the trap that Couric was trying to spring on her before she blurted out something that could be used against her. Remember, too, who was doing the editing for those interviews.

She is doing rather well in my opinion, considering the scope of the attacks and the media’s obvious bias against her.

hillbillyjim on October 15, 2008 at 5:19 PM

McDonald may not be able to define and defend Obambastic (who can) but she can tear apart the Palin meme. I read her article yesterday, and found myself cheering that someone had so clearly put on paper my long-held reservations about Palin.

The ‘conservative movement’ has been taken over by not the ‘far right’ but the ‘bizarre right,’ content to throw out everything but the anti-abortion plank and replace it all with identity politics. Palin is the clearest definition of ID politics since Jesse Jackson. No more need for intelligent discourse, extraordinary experience and achievement, wisdom and stature, anti-teen pregnancy (why are we rejoicing over Bristol?), real fiscal constraint, ethical governance (yes, I said it), non populism-cum-socialism (’We’re gonna rid Wall Street of greed and corruption’ – hello, capitalism works on greed). Argh!!!!

Hard-core Palinites are EXACTLY the same as the Hard-core Obamanites they so willingly declaim, willing to overlook everything because they identify with her.

Obama is not the end of the country nor is Palin the Saviour of it.

I’m positive this will offend many of you, take it personally if you must, but please take it in the spirit of the old conservatism – unafraid to look ourselves squarely in the eye and not blame everyone else for our problems.

trailboss on October 15, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Trailboss,

There may be legitimate reservations about how conservative Palin is, and that she may be more of a populist. What we do know for sure is that she is NOT a Marxist like Obama and has many beliefs that are in line with an Alaska version of Libertarianism. It’s not even close who we should vote for as conservatives: McCain/Palin over the Marxist/Socialists.

But, you DON’T criticize like she does in the heat of the battle. You close ranks. Palin is no savior and neither is Obama. But for cying out loud you vote the right way for the team that is closer to your beliefs. You don’t have to be happy about it, but you make the right choice. When McDonald attacks Palin, she is HELPING the Marxist and promoting the diametrically opposite philosophy.

The pick of Palin is because she is the ONLY governor out there with REAL reform credentials and that’s what McCain needed, with her being a great women as gravy. The mortgage crisis blew up after McCain pulled even and probably would have won.

We like that she didn’t tell her daughter to kill her baby.

We like that she is controlling spending in Alaska compare to Bush nationally.

We like her emphasis on ethics in government. Did you notice legislation in Alaska on ethics that NEVER would have happened under another Murkowski term.

Capitalism doesn’t need GREED. It needs people who want to ecomically GROW. They are right that greed led to this. They knew they could sell off the loans they made ASAP to Fan/Fred. Don’t equate GREED with self-interest. There is a difference.

And by the way, I still have not encountered even ONE legitimate reason to vote against Palin. Not even ONE. We have already found out all the accusations turned out to be lies, and the Troopergate Report confirmed it was partisan and confirmed what we already knew that she did nothing wrong in not reeling in Todd and others in bringing it up to the DPS guy’s attention what Wooten was doing.

This stuff isn’t even anywhere close to being what Obama has done. The guy campaigned for a Marxist thug who is into ethnic cleansing.

I wouldn’t be to quick to stay on the sinking “Good Ship MacDonald” at this time.

Sapwolf on October 15, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Yes, women fantasize about men. It’s true. – Sapwolf on October 15, 2008 at 4:57 PM

I guess in that case Preening Peggy takes her talking points from Lily Von Schtupp: “It’s twoo, it’s twoo.”

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Can we just be honest and sum this whole thing up in one word? “Jealousy.”

Compare Mac Donald’s hyper-academic bio to Palin’s. Good Lord, all the sudden a mere alaskan mom– a mom! who only went to U of Idaho!– takes the conservative base by storm by virtue of her accomplishments, principles, and how genuine she is, drawing huge crowds and adoration MacDonald et. al. could only dream of.

I never would’ve posted this theory (thinking it too easy) until I saw the Kathleen Parker/Colbert interview vid yesterday, in which Parker basically summed up her argument against Palin as thus: “She’s pretty and dumb.” Parker then spent an odd amount of time bitterly pontificating about Palin’s appearence.

I mean, sheesh, even if these idiotic gripes against Palin were true, you still don’t vote for a socialist who allocated millions to poisonous, radical indoctronation policies.

Pasalubong on October 15, 2008 at 5:22 PM

If anyone thinks Heather is a conservative, think again.
For Heather, “religion is not necessary for conservatism. She is not religious herself, and has stated that it would be difficult to marry someone who regularly demonstrated piety, though she could marry someone who could joke about her atheism.”

Reason enough to hate, hate, hate Palin, and be envious of her. Hidden liberals show face when they see Palin. This is not the first instance, esp. on educated women who’d rather write or talk than live or do.

starfighter on October 15, 2008 at 5:24 PM

How about the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Times, any damn thing. She didnt know the name of a newspaper…that was scary. Imagine that deer in the headlight look in front of Putin….I dont think so. – Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 5:07 PM

How about: “Newspapers, much like CBS, NBC and ABC, are a thing of the past, Katie. And is that a push-up bra you’re wearing?”

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Bottom line, anyone who votes for Obama/Biden is not even close to the ideology of most of the people on this site.

Vince on October 15, 2008 at 5:25 PM

You didn’t catch the last part I wrote?

It’s the economy, which always favors the Democrat, even though the Republican in this case actually foresaw this crisis and tried to prevent it while the Democrats voted Present.

The ones I’ve seen have Palin as a net gain, maybe not against independents, but unless you’ve been asleep for the last 20 years, you’d know that McCain needed more than independents to win.

Maybe when we lose huge a la McGovern, you will see the light.

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 5:10 PM

We should lose huge this election anyway. Obama should have been trouncing McCain since day one. We’ve got a very unpopular president with approval ratings at the lowest in history, an unpopular war, and an economy that many believe will become a depression, while McCain is running against a rock star endorsed by nearly every celebrity, who also happens to diverge from the status quo by being a first in the history of a nation often racked with guilt over its past transgressions and eager to prove we’ve changed.

The truth is that McCain is in a unique position in this election precisely because it’s been as close as it has. Few other candidates would have been able to get as close to Obama as he has. Romney sure as hell would never have had a shot at winning. The way the media treated Palin’s Christianity is nothing compared to how they would have tarred Romney, and Mormon bashing is still PC these days.

Independents don’t like Palin for many of the same reasons they wouldn’t like Romney, so you’re concern over them is illogical here when you claim you would have preferred someone else besides McCain.

Esthier on October 15, 2008 at 5:25 PM

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 5:13 PM

I don’t read papers. They are slanted to the left including parts of the WSJ.

I read HotAir, and all the wondrous links Ed/Allah provide.

It’s what’s on the menu.

Sapwolf on October 15, 2008 at 5:25 PM

trailboss on October 15, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Those are EXACTLY my views as well. We celebrate the high school daughter getting pregnant but if it had been Obama, it would be proof that he cant keep his own house in order.

I hope mccain wins…but he wont…and he doesnt deserve to either.

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 5:26 PM

hillbillyjim on October 15, 2008 at 5:19 PM

Unlikely that the trap the media had planned would have been much worse than the result Palin delivered during the interview.

dedalus on October 15, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Oh, I see, you like to pick and choose the polls that fit your preconcieved notions. How about the polls that show that McCain is losing now worse than he was before the conventions? Or how about the polls saying that the voting public is LESS likely to vote for McCain now because of Palin…and these are independent swing voters. Maybe when we lose huge a la McGovern, you will see the light. – Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 5:10 PM

You a sporting man, Rog? Care to make a wager? Are you really, positively certain you are right? Or are you simply blowing so much smoke up your own ass that it’s pouring out of your ears?

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 5:27 PM

I don’t think Sarah’s stupid at all: you can’t beat a sitting incumbent and get a pipeline built between two countries– a project that has been on the shelf for 30 years– and bring your state into the black being a moron. But regardless, Palin’s greatest asset is she has common sense and is not afraid to use it. In face, I’ve heard her say “common sense” many times on the campaign trail. It’s a wonderful thing, Ivy Mac Dork.

Pasalubong on October 15, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Moreover, you understate your own case – she beat a sitting incumbent in her own party, one who was part of a statewide political machine (Murkowski-Alaska is as Daley-Chicago)in a primary challenge, and then beat a former governor in the general election. That takes brains, guts, and toughness.

When it comes to comparative accomplishments, those of Heather MacDonald, Kathleen Parker, David Frum, Ross Douthat, David Brooks, et al. pale in comparision to Sarah Palin’s. Whereas they merely sit at ringside and write about stuff, Palin has gotten in the ring and actually fought – and has also actually led and actually governed.

thirteen28 on October 15, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Why does it have to be one or the other?

Kensington on October 15, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Because it sounds like you’re backpedaling.

It doesn’t have to be one or the other. I’m just skeptical, especially considering the way threads have been going lately.

Esthier on October 15, 2008 at 5:29 PM

Esthier on October 15, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Seriously, this is the Twenty-First freaking Century for crying out loud! (Sorry about the profanity, but I thought this meme was too stupid even for liberals after the first two-seconds the ‘tards started repeating it. By now, it’s beginning to wear more than a little thin.)

I’m sure that Sarah Palin didn’t want to offend any of the feebs – ’cause Lord knows they have good reason to be self-conscious about that kind of thing. But to expect a (again, pardon the language) freakin’ Governor to sit around and read an arbitrarily collated collection of articles? It’s scary what can be used to confuse some people.

What worries me, though, is how many people still watch the alphabet news. There’s like millions of them out there, and I just heard the median age of nightly news viewers is now over 62. I suppose the actuarial tables will do them in sooner or later, but I really wish it could be sooner.

logis on October 15, 2008 at 5:29 PM

thirteen28 on October 15, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Thanks, you said it better than I ever could have. Like I said in a following post, jealousy with this professional writers/pontificators explains a lot.

Pasalubong on October 15, 2008 at 5:30 PM

thirteen28 on October 15, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Same meme, different decade. They said that Reagan was an ‘amiable dunce.’ They are batshit scared of Sarah because she is the political love child of Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher.

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 5:31 PM

ManlyRash: That is funny!

Vince on October 15, 2008 at 5:32 PM

Can we just be honest and sum this whole thing up in one word? “Jealousy.”

Pasalubong on October 15, 2008 at 5:22 PM

Yep.

It is jealousy. Has anybody noticed that the conservative turncoat thing is primarily (not totally) a female and gay male thing?

Boy, when I was working in Mexico, the women just hated each other and the men just sat back and let them fight over the crumbs.

Women compared to men seem to EASILY get jealous over stuff like this.

MacDonald simply believes that she is better than Palin, despite the fact that Palin’s accomplishments are more impressive than MacDonald’s. That’s why men like Palin. She is a doer. HM is a writer.

Sapwolf on October 15, 2008 at 5:32 PM

You there, Roger? Or did you bugger off?

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 5:33 PM

Interesting choice. Most people would star out the “i”.

Esthier on October 15, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Thank you, dear.

Jaibones on October 15, 2008 at 5:33 PM

, anti-teen pregnancy (why are we rejoicing over Bristol?),

trailboss on October 15, 2008 at 4:34 PM

You really lost me here. This is a typical liberal tactic. “if you have ever sinned, you are not allowed to oppose the sin ever again”.
This is, of course, total idiocy. With this logic most of us should be non-judgmental liberals who never have a critical position on anything unless we have been perfect.
Do I really have to explain this? The fact that Palin’s daughter got pregnant outside of marriage doesn’t mean that Palin supports teen pregnancy or is a hypocrite, or even that she is a bad mother. Things happen, what defines us is how we deal with it. We “celebrate” this situation because the Palins took responsibility, didn’t abort the baby, dealt with the problem as a family, didn’t leave to social services to take care of it. In other words, Palin demonstrated conservative values at work when confronted with a difficult situation.

neuquenguy on October 15, 2008 at 5:35 PM

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 5:13 PM

She did no such thing. She hesitated to name one specific newspaper then instead said “all of them.”

She obviously knows the names of newspapers. She is literate. Anyone can name a random newspaper. Aside from listing one paper, you did the same thing she did in making the rest of your response vague. And you have the benefit of being able to look them up.

Seriously, we know what she reads, at least right now. We know she’s being stuffed with the New York Times, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, Newsweek, Time and plenty of other papers. This is obvious.

What’s also obvious in her answer is that she very likely doesn’t subscribe to one and doesn’t spend any time on one more than any other.

Concentrating on this is as stupid as making a campaign issue out of Obama’s 57 states.

Esthier on October 15, 2008 at 5:36 PM

Because it sounds like you’re backpedaling.

Just trying to clarify, but let’s be clear, then: I do think that Sarah’s attractiveness is part of what ticks off some of her lesser attractive detractors. That attractiveness, also, is as much a measure of personality and attitude as it is of her bone structure.

That said, what sold me on posting Mac Donald’s picture was in particular her sourpuss. Any backpedaling I may have done is a result of a knee-jerk defensiveness on my part rather than because I think you have a point, because I really don’t.

Kensington on October 15, 2008 at 5:38 PM

trailboss

That trail is pretty well covered in astroturf, isn’t it?

Kensington on October 15, 2008 at 5:39 PM

I work in a law firm (no I’m not a lawyer) and we had this silly breakfast this morning and it suddenly turned into a Palin bashing event. I was so annoyed! I can’t figure out how such intelligent people can be democrats. I decided it’s because they lack common sense and went back to work. So what if she doesn’t always give a great interview. She’s the real thing, not a phony! Sorry, I just had to vent.

thevastlane on October 15, 2008 at 5:40 PM

anti-teen pregnancy (why are we rejoicing over Bristol?),

trailboss on October 15, 2008 at 4:34 PM

neuquenguy on October 15, 2008 at 5:35 PM

Great post. Somebody understands SIN better than most.

You Catholic Neuquenguy by any chance?

Sapwolf on October 15, 2008 at 5:40 PM

I don’t get you Americans. What the hell is MacDonald hyperventilating about Palin for? I didn’t think she was running for President against Obama. And what is this OBSESSION with McCain being hit by a bus or something.

Who is this MacDonald woman who carries on about excellence yada yada. She whinges about McCain chosing Palin and thinks Obama picking Biden – the man who stood and bullshitted for 90 minutes in front of 70 million Americans, and millions more around the globe (like us down here in Australia – we pissed ourselves laughing) is what? Brilliance?

Ingraham is right. You have a choice. McCain or Obama.

And however imperfect McCain may be, frankly compred to Obama, the man is a giant.

If you can’t vote McCain for your own sakes, then do the rest of the world a favour folks and vote him for us. Because if America tanks – as it will under Obama – she takes the rest of her allies down with her.

saint on October 15, 2008 at 5:40 PM

I don’t read papers. They are slanted to the left including parts of the WSJ.

I read HotAir, and all the wondrous links Ed/Allah provide.

Sapwolf on October 15, 2008 at 5:25 PM

Exactly. There’s only so much I can take of them. Which isn’t to say I never read views that oppose my own, they’re just not what I spend my time on.

I don’t subscribe to a newspaper and likely never will.

My mother gets the Houston Chronicle and reads it religiously with her morning coffee, but she readily admits that it insults her views on a regular basis. I believe the editor even told readers to quit whining about it at one point.

Esthier on October 15, 2008 at 5:40 PM

You Catholic Neuquenguy by any chance?

Sapwolf on October 15, 2008 at 5:40 PM

I guess it shows :)
Yes, I don’t take personal credit for these views.

neuquenguy on October 15, 2008 at 5:42 PM

thevastlane on October 15, 2008 at 5:40 PM

You vent away. We will need to try to really boost morale over the next 4 years if O-man wins. It’s gonna be like Catholics in Elizabethan England for 4 years.

Sapwolf on October 15, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Totally fatuous argument that keeps popping up. I think I heard Nina Easton say the same thing a few nights ago.

As for his great intellect, is that with or without his teleprompter and ghost writers? IMO, he’s about as impressive as a knock knock joke you’ve heard like a hundred times.

Buy Danish on October 15, 2008 at 5:44 PM

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 5:26 PM

Not at all.

Though, at her age, it might convince people he’s a child molester.

Besides, you’re not even being honest here. We’ve had eight years of Bush. Heard of his twins? A friend once waited on them before they were over 21. She freaked out when they asked for alcohol cause she recognized one of them and called the cops, cause she was a terrible waiter, but they did get served at plenty of other places. They were well known for it in fact.

No, no one celebrated their party ways, but no one’s celebrating Bristol being knocked up either. We’re just glad she isn’t killing the baby.

Esthier on October 15, 2008 at 5:45 PM

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Watchoo you talkin bout Mr. Rash??? I am always up for a bit of a wager.

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 5:45 PM

I temped in a Manhattan law firm last year which kept anti-Bush books on display in their waiting room. There was also one of those reworked war propaganda posters on the wall with an anti-Bush spin.

This was not a small firm, either; this was a big, multi-million dollar firm.

Kensington on October 15, 2008 at 5:46 PM

I don’t get you Americans.

And I love it. LOVE it. As transparent and seemingly naive as we are, Americans never cease to confound even our closest friends and allies around the world.

Very true, Saint. But we’ll be fine. McCain will win.

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 5:46 PM

Watchoo you talkin bout Mr. Rash??? I am always up for a bit of a wager. – Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 5:45 PM

I doubt you have the balls for it, but here goes: If Mcain loses the election, I leave Hot Air forever. If he wins, you leave Hot Air forever.

Do we have a wager?

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 5:48 PM

Pasalubong on October 15, 2008 at 5:22 PM

That link should be required reading for all.

Send it to everyone in your e-mail address book, and ask them to pass it along.

hillbillyjim on October 15, 2008 at 5:49 PM

America is far greater than what one man can do to it.

JetBoy on October 15, 2008 at 4:44 PM

This is what people need to get through their heads: We aren’t talking about one man here. We are talking about 3 out of 3 branches of government all pulling in the same direction: Far Left.

You greatly underestimate the permanent damage that can be done.

TheBigOldDog on October 15, 2008 at 5:50 PM

You Catholic Neuquenguy by any chance?

Sapwolf on October 15, 2008 at 5:40 PM
I guess it shows :)
Yes, I don’t take personal credit for these views.

neuquenguy on October 15, 2008 at 5:42 PM

Did you know that Palin was baptized Catholic?

By the way, I just got Scott Hahn’s book “Rome Sweet Home” in the mail. I hear it’s a really good one.

Sapwolf on October 15, 2008 at 5:51 PM

Did you know that Palin was baptized Catholic?- Sapwolf on October 15, 2008 at 5:51 PM

That explains all the kids.

*crickets*

Just kidding. I’m Byzantine Catholic with a sense of humor.

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Still trying to figure out if AP or MacDonald realizes who is at the top of the ticket for the GOP?

Jamson64 on October 15, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Great post trailboss…spot on. Most around here will not get it, as they (along with their hero, The Boss) are part of the bizarre right.

dakine on October 15, 2008 at 5:55 PM

You greatly underestimate the permanent damage that can be done.

TheBigOldDog on October 15, 2008 at 5:50 PM

Anyone who thinks America is guaranteed to last needs to dig up some Romans and ask them how that worked out.

If people don’t actively reinforce its bedrock principles, America will not last. It may not go out in our lifetime, but I’d kind of like not to ruin my great grandchildren’s shot with stupid decisions made over the next 4-8 years.

Kensington on October 15, 2008 at 5:55 PM

That explains all the kids.

*crickets*

I have her beat by more than double :)

Just kidding. I’m Byzantine Catholic with a sense of humor.

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 5:53 PM

There is nothing like the Byzantine Liturgy when done right. I love it.

neuquenguy on October 15, 2008 at 5:57 PM

That explains all the kids.

*crickets*

Just kidding.

Ha ha, no it’s true: Catholics tend to reproduce a lot. Thank God somebody is!

Kensington on October 15, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Sapwolf on October 15, 2008 at 5:32 PM

Hitchens and Baby Buckley weren’t (as far as I know) openly gay. Maybe it’s an atheist thing.

On second thought; I suppose it’s possible they only this week decided to suddenly become homosexual – but, trust me, these people have ALWAYS been liberals. Nobody who knows how to spell the word “politics” really waited until November to pick a side in this election. And the one thing that all the Palinophobes all openly admit to having in common is a fatuous conceit regarding their grammar skills.

They’re only going after Palin personally because they know that (either figuratively or literally) McCain will be dead after this campaign.

Even the smartest liberals don’t know much, but the one thing they all inveterately understand is the concept of fear. And everyone – liberal and conservative alike – can instantly recognize another Ronald Reagan when we see one.

logis on October 15, 2008 at 5:58 PM

the bizarre right. – dakine on October 15, 2008 at 5:55 PM

In other words, Republicans who done condone slaughtering their own children. Better get used the cold, ’cause when the dust settles, you guys are gonna be on the front porch.

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 5:58 PM

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 5:48 PM

Dude, how many wagers have you made in the last few weeks?

m064404 on October 15, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Sapwolf on October 15, 2008 at 5:51 PM

That’s what I understand. Are you a convert?

neuquenguy on October 15, 2008 at 6:00 PM

There is nothing like the Byzantine Liturgy when done right. I love it. – neuquenguy on October 15, 2008 at 5:57 PM

I’ve never seen it done wrong. Not much room for improvisational rubrics in the Eastern churches. Part of the reason I defected to Byzantium in 1994.

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Do we have a wager?

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 5:48 PM

My friend (to use McCain speak), if McCain wins (and I hoope he does, but he wont), I will leave HotAir forever and ever.

If McCain loses…..you can hang out still….however, you may no longer call me names like “troll” and such for having a different (i.e. correct) opinion. And you have to post an apology for doubting my superior analytical abilities.

Deal?

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Dude, how many wagers have you made in the last few weeks? – m064404 on October 15, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Two – if Roger has testicles. I won the first bet, which is why no one has seen Dave Rywall for the past two weeks.

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 6:02 PM

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Nice–keep it up.

m064404 on October 15, 2008 at 6:03 PM

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 6:03 PM

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 6:00 PM

neuquenguy on October 15, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Why the magnanimity, Rog?

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 6:05 PM

I hear you. The Latin rite has been experimenting quite a bit since V II but it’s finally coming around. – neuquenguy on October 15, 2008 at 6:04 PM

I is, and I am delighted, as my heart will ALWAYS be in Rome – even if my body is in Byzantium. We have a good pope and ae hoping he will let us return to ordaining married men to the priesthood. The U.S. is the only country in the world where the Byzantine church is prohibited from doing so.

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Why the magnanimity, Rog?

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 6:05 PM

I’m always a nice guy. Its just that some people dont like it when a their views are challenged and they start calling you dumb names like “troll”. I enjoy a spirited debate even if eventually turns into childish behaviour at the end of the debate which just makes it funny at the end. I never get my feelings hurt, and I dont wish ill will on anybody except people like Huck and other crazy liberal loons.

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 6:09 PM

I have testicles, dude. Sarah Palin doesnt, of course, which is the ONLY reason she was chosen for veep. – Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 6:03 PM

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh…not the ONLY reason, but certainly one of ‘em.

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 6:09 PM

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 6:07 PM
Didn’t know that. Doesn’t make a lot of sense since it is an eastern rite. Who calls the shots on this issue?

neuquenguy on October 15, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 6:09 PM

I will agree to the wager if the terms are identical: if you lose you can stay, but you must post an apology for ever doubting my superior analytical abilities.

And I will be happy to apologize for calling you a troll and promise never to call you a troll again. D!ckhead, perhaps, but troll…never.

ManlyRash on October 15, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Did you all see the new post on Ace’s site?

I’m not surprised–socialists have no morals.

m064404 on October 15, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Agreed.

and d1ckhead is OK…just not troll.

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 6:15 PM

Republicans were supposed to believe in a meritocracy. The BEST PERSON gets the job regardless of sex, religion, color, etc. Not anymore.

Of course, the problem is that the party nominated a fake republican. McCain has hurt the republican party for the last 20 years…and will hurt it for the next 10-15 years.

I realize a minority of republicans are all energized and stuff over Palin and they go to her rallies, etc….but these are like the people who voted for Huck…identity politics…they liked HIS religion…the fact that he sucked the big one took a secondary consideration.

But, Laura is still hot.

GAME OVER MAN!! GAME OVER!!

Roger Waters on October 15, 2008 at 4:50 PM

You make a decent point every 15 or 16 posts.
Huck does suck the big one. Laura is kind of hot but my view is skewed because she is spurting conservative rhetoric.
Pink Floyd was an good band
However Sarah is fantastic, she has a nice rack. shapely butt and looks good on TV. She makes libs squeal and say bad things about her, she gave a speech and made fun of the democratic canadate. She rubbed the fact she liked gun and huntin right in the face of the MSM
This is almost porn for me and I don’t care what anybody thinks.
She rocks and she is my leader. If she say destroy Roger Waters I must obey and destroy you(sorry)

kangjie on October 15, 2008 at 6:16 PM