What was Buckley thinking?

posted at 5:20 pm on October 14, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

I only discovered Christopher Buckley’s endorsement of Barack Obama in the news that he had been bounced from National Review, as Allahpundit wrote earlier.  I only had time to scan it quickly before we discussed it at the beginning of my show this afternoon, where the Lady Logician and I talked about Buckley’s strange reasoning.  In fact, when I had the chance to read it through, I found it remarkably unimpressive:

As for Senator Obama: He has exhibited throughout a “first-class temperament,” pace Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.’s famous comment about FDR. As for his intellect, well, he’s a Harvard man, though that’s sure as heck no guarantee of anything, these days. Vietnam was brought to you by Harvard and (one or two) Yale men. As for our current adventure in Mesopotamia, consider this lustrous alumni roster. Bush 43: Yale. Rumsfeld: Princeton. Paul Bremer: Yale and Harvard. What do they all have in common? Andover! The best and the brightest.

I’ve read Obama’s books, and they are first-rate. He is that rara avis, the politician who writes his own books. Imagine. He is also a lefty. I am not. I am a small-government conservative who clings tenaciously and old-fashionedly to the idea that one ought to have balanced budgets. On abortion, gay marriage, et al, I’m libertarian. I believe with my sage and epigrammatic friend P.J. O’Rourke that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take it all away.

But having a first-class temperament and a first-class intellect, President Obama will (I pray, secularly) surely understand that traditional left-politics aren’t going to get us out of this pit we’ve dug for ourselves. If he raises taxes and throws up tariff walls and opens the coffers of the DNC to bribe-money from the special interest groups against whom he has (somewhat disingenuously) railed during the campaign trail, then he will almost certainly reap a whirlwind that will make Katrina look like a balmy summer zephyr.

I, too, think that Obama has a first-class temperament and a first-class intellect.  Harvard and Columbia don’t just hand out degrees, and while some may claim Obama had help getting into these schools (without much evidence that he didn’t qualify academically), he certainly succeeded in both.  Obama also has a first-class bent towards statist policies and a tendency towards mob action, though, and that should be very concerning to anyone who claims — as Buckley does — to be conservative.  A presidential election isn’t a vote on IQ, and you can insert your own joke here about any number of American presidents.  It’s a referendum on character, but mostly on policy.

In this statement above, Buckley assumes that Obama will take a lesson from his meteoric rise in American politics while building a record as a lockstep liberal ideologue that he should … what?  Suddenly decide he can’t succeed as a lockstep liberal ideologue?  How exactly would Obama learn that lesson — from the endorsement of Buckley, Douglas Kmiec, and other conservatives who found John McCain’s moderate policy stances so objectionable that they now want to support a liberal?

I don’t find it any accident that Buckley says he’ll pray “secularly”.  That argument represents as great an intellectual leap as any I’ve heard in politics.  I thought the argument that allowing Obama to wreck the nation with his leftist policies in order to provoke a conservative pushback was ridiculous, but expecting Obama to suddenly turn on all of the political allies who got him to the nation’s highest office in a revelation of moderation is like expecting Santa Claus to suddenly appear.  On Halloween.

And for what?  An opportunity to still be more liberal than John McCain?

I take Allahpundit’s point on intellectual freedom and his disapproval of NR’s acceptance of Buckley’s resignation, but I think they did the right thing.  (I also find it telling that Buckley misrepresented the circumstances of that decision.)  National Review has a specific mission, which is to further conservative thought, and they will find it difficult to do so while their writers are busily endorsing leftist ideologues for high office while wishing with no rational basis that they will magically morph into moderates.  I also think that Buckley’s reasoning is so weak here that he would have difficulty maintaining any credibility with National Review’s readers after this argument.

Update: I want to add one more point to this post.  I can understand conservatives who feel like they can’t support McCain for one reason or another (say, immigration or the BCRA).  That’s quite a bit different from people who proclaim their conservatism by not just repudiating McCain but embracing the most liberal presidential candidate since Jimmy Carter, and perhaps ever.  It’s intellectually incoherent, which is probably why Buckley couldn’t muster up an argument outside of wishful thinking.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The apple fell so dam far from the tree it needed a passport to get back in!

Griz on October 14, 2008 at 6:09 PM

I still think this is anti-Christian, and anti-Christ, bias. That’s why Palin (and not the truly awful McCain) is so often the issue. CB has been running away from the God of his father for a long time.

boko fittleworth on October 14, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Holy Cow. I was just guessing he was gay. He is? I only read some of his father’s works, not his. Why is it that as people become educated and elite, they go gay? Maybe that is why he hates Palin. He can’t love her as a woman, AND she only has a BA from a state univ. Heck, when I was young I would screwed everything in site if there were no rules against it, including a stiff wind. I’m straight by choice.

If that is true that he is gay, then he seems like another loser gay like the dude in “Brideshead Revisited”. My uncle was gay and he worked as a waiter at the best most expensive restaurants. He died of AIDS. Seems sort of the same demons might be possessing people like this. They need to get out and hunt a moose with Sarah.

Sapwolf on October 14, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Hmmm, Baldilocks has a point. Why do you think this? First-class intellect is much more likely, but I think we’ve seen the effects of installing a smart-but-not-at-all-wise guy in the Presidency: Jimmy Carter. He made the press swoon by quoting Reinhold Niebuhr for Northeast-academic-set credibility, and Bob Dylan for street cred. Sound familiar? How about if you substitute Jay-Z for Dylan? And he had no judgment, none at all. Give me good instincts over good grades in my Presidents any time at all.

As for temperament, I’m baffled that you regard his as first-class. Obama seems thin-skinned, defensive, petulant and childish. He demands adoration and sulks when he doesn’t get it. He tosses out outrageous lies and has a grandiose sense of entitlement about being able to walk them back at will. He throws out childish insults and says “oh, no, I didn’t mean it” when called on them. He believes with childlike naivete that he can charm away the problems of the world — and he believes it because he accepts and celebrates his grandiosity, rather than recognizing it as a flaw against which he must strive. And he flies into high dudgeon at the idea that he would ever be held accountable for anything: his words, his friends, his choices, his actions.

First-class temperament? Can anyone explain that? I’m not seeing it at all.

Splunge on October 14, 2008 at 6:10 PM

….and as for Obama’s intellect, it is pedestrian. He mouths phrases; he imitates, regurgitating what he’s been schooled to say. He is good at that, but his talent is acting rather than thinking.

You’ve all seen good actors–nearly all of whom are retards–sound Smart and Kinda Brilliant in playing their roles

Ed, you disappoint me.

Janos Hunyadi on October 14, 2008 at 6:10 PM

But did Obama write his own books?

They ran the writing through a computer program that showed his books were written at different grade levels….hmmm.

Also-

Jamson64 on October 14, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Generation skip…

right2bright on October 14, 2008 at 6:12 PM

How about we just accept him as a Chicago Machine thug, who immunizes himself against criticism with race-baiting. That actually works.

HelenW on October 14, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Spot on. Obama is the political equivalent of Sidd Finch.

Badger91 on October 14, 2008 at 6:12 PM

“Harvard and Columbia don’t just hand out degrees.”

Of course they do. The hard part is getting in.

boko fittleworth on October 14, 2008 at 5:52 PM

Yes, they do just hand out degrees. But – it’s not actually hard to get in. Not if you make the right “donations” to the right people. I know this from personal experience, having handled the process for the idiot children of a rich guy.

Plus, my years of working with top Ivy League grads has taught me that they are by no stretch of the imagination any smarter than anyone else. Quite the opposite in a lot of cases. The Ivy League emperor really has no clothes.

Gilda on October 14, 2008 at 6:13 PM

As far as I’m concerned, it’s good to find out where everybody really stands during these times. Enough with the bullshit sticking the finger into the wind and go with the flow crap, let’s find out exactly who’s a Liberal, who’s a RINO, who’s a Conservative, who’s a marxist, et al….

I’m still trying to figure out just where AP sits on the issues. Now when it comes to Ed, I know where he stands from our days at Captains Quarters.

Keemo on October 14, 2008 at 5:34 PM

Keemo,

This is an excellent point. You never really know a person until they are really faced with adversity/battle/suffering, and then true colors start to show. The Good rise and the BAd wither.

It is like in war when leaders start to emerge.

This election has been a ‘weeding’ process and CB missed the cut and rightfully deserves to lose his commission in the conservative cause. Parker and Noonan also. The ‘conservative’ media needs to eliminate the deadwood and open up to a new generation of younger conservatives who came of age when Reagan was elected, like Sarah and others, but also writers.

Sapwolf on October 14, 2008 at 6:15 PM

The apple acorn fell so dam far from the tree it needed a passport to get back in!

Griz on October 14, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Obama requested a rewrite.

BuckeyeSam on October 14, 2008 at 6:20 PM

We say he’s intellectual enough because we think he’s insidious and evil and a master liar and manipulator.

Darth Executor on October 14, 2008 at 6:04 PM

But that’s my point. He’s not a master liar. He just lies with a straight face. But anyone with a brain knows that he’s lying. It’s like Bill Clinton’s “It depends on what the definition of ‘is’ is.” That’s not mastery of anything but evidence of stupidity.

BHO is dangerous, but he ain’t smart.

progressoverpeace on October 14, 2008 at 6:21 PM

HelenW on October 14, 2008 at 6:08 PM

You’re my kind of woman!

peacenprosperity on October 14, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Janos Hunyadi on October 14, 2008 at 6:10 PM

Well said.

progressoverpeace on October 14, 2008 at 6:24 PM

From what we can see in public, that might be true. But if the guy gets in the Oval Office, I doubt you’ll feel that way for long, Ed.

Mr. D on October 14, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Darth Executor on October 14, 2008 at 6:04 PM

No we don’t. His lies are stupid and transparent. Those who believe are merely suspending disbelief.

baldilocks on October 14, 2008 at 6:30 PM

He can’t even remember the barest facts regarding WWII, for Heaven’s sake.

baldilocks on October 14, 2008 at 6:34 PM

“Ah yes, the Hitchens effect. The tactic is employed far too often these days”

Actually, I graduated in 1977. I don’t know if Hutchins was even born then.

jim m on October 14, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Buckley fell for the ” blank slate” wishful thinking thing. He’s supporting Obama because he’s hoping Obama won’t do the things he says he’s going to do.

obladioblada on October 14, 2008 at 6:37 PM

“He can’t even remember the barest facts regarding WWII, for Heaven’s sake.”

Well, he wasn’t born until 1960 or so. It would be tough for many of us to remember facts about WWII when we weren’t around then.

jim m on October 14, 2008 at 6:37 PM

jim m on October 14, 2008 at 6:37 PM

I was born in 1961. It’s called reading.

baldilocks on October 14, 2008 at 6:39 PM

jim m on October 14, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Ever hear of a history book or this thing called the Internet?

Badger91 on October 14, 2008 at 6:40 PM

William F. must be spinning in his grave. The ACORN fell far from the tree. – jgapinoy on October 14, 2008 at 5:24 PM

And rolled into the fire.

ManlyRash on October 14, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Yeah. But it wouldn’t be “remembering” facts about WWII. It would be knowing them.

————————-
Sarah Palin was 16 when Reagan was elected. Isn’t that too young for her to have “come of age” then?

jim m on October 14, 2008 at 6:43 PM

I was born in 1961. It’s called reading. – baldilocks on October 14, 2008 at 6:39 PM

I was born in ’59 – a Cold War kid in Kennedy Time. I remember playing “army” when I was 7 yrs old and in those days – just a scant 20-some-odd-years since WW2 ended – some of us still had to play “the Germans.” I also remember watching WW2-based TV series like “Rat Patrol.”

ManlyRash on October 14, 2008 at 6:44 PM

jim m on October 14, 2008 at 6:43 PM

It would be remembering facts you had learned. Are you really a moron or do you just play one on blogs?

progressoverpeace on October 14, 2008 at 6:44 PM

————————-

You want to split hairs? Fine. I’m assuming BO learned a little something about WWII. To know/recount them, he would have to “remember” them. Whatever.

Badger91 on October 14, 2008 at 6:46 PM

jim m on October 14, 2008 at 6:43 PM

Oh so you’re just trying to score word usage points even though you knew what I meant. Now I understand.

baldilocks on October 14, 2008 at 6:49 PM

And he neither knows nor remembers them.

baldilocks on October 14, 2008 at 6:49 PM

I, too, think that Obama has a first-class temperament and a first-class intellect. Harvard and Columbia don’t just hand out degrees, and while some may claim Obama had help getting into these schools (without much evidence that he didn’t qualify academically), he certainly succeeded in both.

True enough…Harvard and Columbia don’t “hand out” degrees. However, I’ve known countless people who have degrees hanging on their walls, and absolutely zero common sense. Obama is great at memorizing key points. He’s terrific at parroting what his handlers tell him to say. As to actually being a manager – whether that means President or small business owner – I don’t see it.

uncivilized on October 14, 2008 at 6:56 PM

I was born in ‘59 – a Cold War kid in Kennedy Time.

ManlyRash on October 14, 2008 at 6:44 PM

…Baldi was talking about facts having to do with WWII, not actually remembering WWII…in that, he’s quite correct…WWII is now 63 years gone, and no longer chic, so I doubt that Mr. O cares to recall it…after all, didn’t he say that his uncle — a US GI — helped to liberate a concentration camp (Auschwitz?) actually liberated by the Soviets? Maybe he simply wishes that his uncle was a Soviet, to enhance his own street cred at the next DailyKOS convention…can’t even remember WWII facts having to do with his own family….

…I was born in ’55…and served in the Army with the last of the WWII vets…and still know one or two…Mr. Brokaw was, for once, right in calling them the “Greatest Generation”…talking to a WWII vet is a humbling experience….

Puritan1648 on October 14, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Sapwolf on October 14, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Christopher Buckley isn’t gay–I think the “out of the closet” reference was that he’s been a liberal, masquerading as a conservative until his father died. Mr. Buckley is married. Not a criticism of your post–I just don’t want rumors accidentally started on HA. :)

DrMagnolias on October 14, 2008 at 6:59 PM

I am willing to debate you about his temperament and intellect. I am also more then willing to debate that people can graduate from the Ivy League based solely upon skin color.

The Ivy League is overrated. I know I graduated from an Ivy league school as did both of my brothers.

Jdripper on October 14, 2008 at 7:01 PM

Ever hear of a history book or this thing called the Internet?

Badger91 on October 14, 2008 at 6:40 PM

I’m fairly confident the only history book Obama ever read was written by Zinn…

CC – BHO: “my Muslim faith”

CapedConservative on October 14, 2008 at 7:02 PM

I’m fairly confident the only history book Obama ever read was written by Zinn…

Actually, he didn’t read it. billy ayers told him what was in it.

peacenprosperity on October 14, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Buckley hopes Obama does not do what he says he will do because Buckley believes that Obama wants the same type of country: freedom, prosperity for everyone. The disconnect comes because the country Obama (and Ayers, and Soros) wants is totally different (see USSR, Red China, Cuba) than what Buckley envisions. This is where naivete and stupidity come in (useful idiots?). The only ones who have freedom and prosperity are a very few at the top, telling everyone else what to do, what to think, and how to live. You can see the attitude, they just do do not have the power to carry it out yet.

jerseyman on October 14, 2008 at 7:10 PM

A disagreement between Ed and AP?

One of you must go!!

aquaviva on October 14, 2008 at 5:25 PM

If I had a vote on this, I’d pick Allah to be gone.

psrch on October 14, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Ann Coulter observed, when President Bush nominated Harriet Myers for the Supreme Court, that the advantage of a conservative going to an Ivy League school is that it is such a hostile environment to conservatism that to succeed one must truly hone his thinking and debate skills. Certainly, a large part of academia is leftist so this is true to some degree in many institutions; nevertheless, I thought her point a good one.

DrMagnolias on October 14, 2008 at 7:21 PM

There should be a name for behavior by a so-called conservative that is intellectually inexplicable. Call it Kmiec Syndrome.

Cicero43 on October 14, 2008 at 7:21 PM

DrMagnolias on October 14, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Well, I think we are learning that elitism trumps ideology… there are just more Democrat elitists so it is a safe haven for Republican elitists that are cornered into exposing their true colors.

CC – BHO: “my Muslim faith”

CapedConservative on October 14, 2008 at 7:32 PM

First-class temperament? Can anyone explain that? I’m not seeing it at all.

Splunge on October 14, 2008 at 6:10 PM

No, I don’t see it either. I think your analysis is excellent.

AZCoyote on October 14, 2008 at 7:42 PM

History–and the study of it–has become part joke and part political indoctrination. It’s become a Search for Really Really Bad Evil White People and a shrieking list of their crimes”

speaking truth to power, yada yada yada

I spent four years on Army posts in Nurnburg and Munich before we were allowed to come to the USA–for two years, and then back to another Army post in “West Germany” for three years. Every kid I knew had a father who served in the military or Merchant Marine in WWII

I heard first-hand accounts of D-Day that make the first ten minutes of “Saving Private Ryan” look like Sunday School. Our next-door neighbor flew bombing raids over the city I went to high school in; once he took me and his son to the areas he dropped bombs on less than two decades earlier

and in Europe, the Past is everywhere; when I was a kid growing up in Germany there was still bomb damage from WWII: the wall around the Alte Stadt of Nurnburg had a lot of pinkish bricks which marked where British bomb damage had been repaired.

“The Americans by day, the British by night”

now, everything is a video game, and what happened last month is Old. sigh………………..

Janos Hunyadi on October 14, 2008 at 7:46 PM

Ed Morrisey questions Buckley’s judgement – like someone with character and integrity.

allahpundit, on the other hand – is deeply sniffing Buckley’s feet and pants.

Allahpundit: He’s As Helpful As Leprosy!!

grtflmark on October 14, 2008 at 7:50 PM

I still say he is just pulling a Huffington switch. He sees, or thinks he does, the writing on the wall and he’s endorsing before the votes are in.

Why? It’s a career booster and not to mention, its importance can’t be overlooked, a gold plated invite to 4-8 years of DC parties including the White House. Make no mistake that is very important.

On a serious note if Nick Lowery is to be believed in the piece that follows, about Buckley’s separation, he is a first rate phony. This has been an engineered departure on Buckley’s part for maximum exposure.

A Word on Christopher Buckley [Rich Lowry]

Chris is up with a post at The Daily Beast, “Sorry, Dad, I Was Fired.” I’d like to clarify this “firing” business. Over the weekend, Chris wrote us a jaunty e-mail with the subject line “A Sincere Offer,” in which he offered to resign his column on NR’s back page and said that if we accepted, there “would be no hard feelings, only warmest regards and understanding.” We took the offer sincerely. Chris had done us the favor of writing the column beginning seven issues ago on a “trial basis” (his words), while our regular back-page columnist, Mark Steyn, was on hiatus. Now, Mark is back to writing again, and—I’m delighted to say—will be on NR’s back-page in the new issue.

Just one other point: Chris says that his Obama endorsement has generated a “tsunami,” that e-mail at NRO has been running “oh, 700-to-1″ against him, and that there’s a debate about whether to boil him in oil or shoot him. Chris is either misinformed or exercising poetic license. We have gotten about 100 e-mails, if that (a tiny amount compared to our usual volume), and threats of cancellations in the single digits (we never like to lose any readers, but circulation is way up this year). No doubt part of what upset these readers was the dim view Chris expressed of them in his first Daily Beast post. So it goes. It’s an intense election season and emotions are running high. We continue to have the highest regard for Chris’s talent and wit, and extend to him warmest regards and understanding.

UPDATE: The Daily Beast headline has been changed to “Buckley Bows Out of National Review.”

10/14 03:40 PM

patrick neid on October 14, 2008 at 7:56 PM

I think this was done all for show (and to sell books)… afterall, I’m a staunch conservative and I didn’t know William F. Buckley even had a son… until now.

Texas Rainmaker on October 14, 2008 at 8:01 PM

Have you seen transcripts you haven’t told us about?

DrMagnolias on October 14, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Not only married, but engaged in an ugly child support case involving a mistress’ child he wants nothing to do with.

Quisp on October 14, 2008 at 8:10 PM

They abandoned that mission about 25 years ago.

aengus on October 14, 2008 at 8:30 PM

As usual emotions are getting out of hand and the big picture is being missed.

Buckley’s defection is another sign that we are living a mass delusion. Like all mass movements in the past, a deluded society is filling up the shell of the leader with what ever fits his fantasy.

I said this before but I it bears repeating. America has lost the right to criticise the Germany and Italy. We have seen the leader and he is our future. I do not mean to compare him to Hitler, he is something like our Mussolini.

Duce! Duce! Duce!

jerryofva on October 14, 2008 at 9:09 PM

This guy is Peter Lorre/Vidkun Quisling clone, and really signals a whole new strand of political insect that would come along with Der Obama.

Hening on October 14, 2008 at 5:46 PM

Apparently, CB subscribes to this:

“I for one welcome our new Obama overlords. I’d like to remind them that as a trusted former conservative, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their reeducation camps.”

jnelchef on October 14, 2008 at 9:37 PM

If I had a vote on this, I’d pick Allah to be gone

I miss Brian. I never had any doubt he was conservative.

peacenprosperity on October 14, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Plus we were saddled with the burden of liberal-run public schools!

angelat0763 on October 14, 2008 at 10:01 PM

If Allah believes what he says about Buckley needing to stay because of intellectual freedom, then that makes him a thug for implying that the only option for us commentators when we disapprove of his opinions, is to leave.

Bill Jeff agrees, and Hillary – bless her heart – has the balls to fight back.

Mcguyver on October 14, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Quote (Ed):
End quote.

The obligatory: Ed loves polishing the shoes of intellectuals and get his head massaged, post.

Mcguyver on October 14, 2008 at 10:18 PM

I think Buckley’s delusion is a common one. Many people look at Obama and believe that he will govern as some kind of Clinton pragmatist, that he will be moderate, even right- leaning on all the right issues. Absolutely nothing about his background, his stated beliefs or his proposals supports this notion.

Intellect? Not much evidence to support his superiority here either. He may know a lot but understands little. As for his temperament? How could we possibly know how he will react in moments of true stress, when (our) lives and livelihood are on the line. He’s spent a lifetime running away from any meaningful revelation of his character. The only time he ever gets worked up about anything is when he personally is under attack. And then he’s just indignant and whiny.

Looking savvy and cool shouldn’t be confused with actually being savvy and cool.

Bennett on October 14, 2008 at 11:35 PM

Gilda on October 14, 2008 at 6:13 PM

This anecdote sounds like about forty pounds of BS. I’ve attended Ivy League universities and lint trap community colleges. It’s a rare professor that wants to feel like an easy grade. But they are non-existent at NorthEastern chichi schools. The amount of work required to earn your grades is directly related to how big the prof’s head is…meaning HUGE.

The only way you could believe what you wrote is if you don’t know what you’re talking about. Basically, I’m calling you a liar. As for working with “top Ivy League” grads who are only marginally intelligent, I think you’re lying again.

Certainly you’ve met those lacking common sense and courtesy. Others, self notwithstanding, may lack common couth. But there just aren’t any really dumb ivy leaguers. Go ask one and you’ll come to learn that they know everything. Please make a note of this fact.

***

Harvard and Columbia don’t just hand out degrees

They don’t hand out morals or common sense either.

The Race Card on October 14, 2008 at 11:51 PM

Bennett on October 14, 2008 at 11:35 PM

Crap. Now I need a plan B.

The Race Card on October 14, 2008 at 11:51 PM

Just like Ron Reagan jr. An untalented, ungrateful, sissy boy, disrepectful little man son of a giant. The exact opposite of his father.

Bikerken on October 15, 2008 at 2:14 AM

I’m sick and tired of hearing about first class intellects and first class educations. This assumes that the rest of us are so dumb and stupid that to manage our affairs we must listen to the elites. May I remind everyone that it is these highly educated people that got us into this mess in the first place. Education can never be the equal of common sense and it’s quite clear to me that these people have none……….

jims on October 15, 2008 at 7:16 AM

The apple fell so dam far from the tree it needed a passport to get back in!

Griz on October 14, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Don’t you mean ACORN, not apple?

MarkTheGreat on October 15, 2008 at 7:35 AM