Howard Stern audio: Obama’s supporters on policy

posted at 7:40 am on October 14, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday I wrote about how irrelevant Howard Stern had become since moving to Sirius satellite radio, and of course that’s when he made a splash in the election. Stern sent a reporter to interview people on the street to find out why they supported Barack Obama — and whether they understood his policy positions at all. Hilarity ensued:

The reporter attributes John McCain’s policy positions to Obama, such as being pro-life and in favor of keeping troops in Iraq until victory — and Obama supporters enthusiastically support them. So what does this prove?

1. American voters are largely ill-informed.
  2. People vote for brands, not policy.
  3. If you spend two hours doing candid interviews, you can always find at least two minutes of ridiculous answers to fill air time.

I suspect the answer is a blend of all three, but I’m betting on #3 as the largest contributing factor.

Comments

Oh I’m so glad you put this up! We can all feel so much better knowing that some of the finest minds in America helped put the one into office.

anniekc on October 14, 2008 at 7:43 AM

Even if #3 is correct assumption, it’s still beyond scary to think that these are the “educated” voters targeted by ACORN thugs.

This is so depressing…not a good way to start the day!

ConMom on October 14, 2008 at 7:46 AM

You put up a post about Obama with a picture of a blond white woman. Coded Racism!1!!

Lehosh on October 14, 2008 at 7:47 AM

2 is the answer!

jencab on October 14, 2008 at 7:47 AM

Well if people can believe that punishing success through higher taxes makes all of us better off, then my vote goes for #1.

rbj on October 14, 2008 at 7:49 AM

Oh. My. God.

BeachBaby on October 14, 2008 at 7:49 AM

This is why the Founders wanted to created a republic, not a democracy. Unfortunately, that idea has been lost; let’s just hope we don’t implode like many of the “great” democracies of the past.

m064404 on October 14, 2008 at 7:50 AM

Pity the cameraman who had to go through all that – usually – in a newsroom – they’re the one’s with the learnin

EricPWJohnson on October 14, 2008 at 7:50 AM

Probably a mixture of all three, but I’m not betting on three being the largest contributor. Let’s be honest. Obama’s as popular as he is because: A) He’s a minority and B) It’s just cool to support him. A white Barack Obama would’ve been laughed back to Illinois. I don’t doubt he would’ve had supporters if he weren’t “cool” to be supporting, but not at the level we’re seeing now.

–Stephan

amerpundit on October 14, 2008 at 7:51 AM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people Obama supporters in large numbers.

mindhacker on October 14, 2008 at 7:52 AM

I thought it was run-of-the-mill ignorance until none of them knew that Palin was not on Obama’s ticket.

People should have to pass a quiz before they are able to vote. Having our president being decided by the dredges of society (too strong a characterization?) makes me sleep very well at night.

Grafted on October 14, 2008 at 7:52 AM

#1. Anyone voting blue is an unequivocal idiot. jus’ sayin’

kareyk on October 14, 2008 at 7:53 AM

Hate to say it, but the blacks are on the verge of sinking our country. I’ve heard interview after interview with blacks, who say that they are voting for Obama because he’s black. If Obama wins, won’t this be the deciding factor? Won’t it be an election tilted by black racism?

marklmail on October 14, 2008 at 7:53 AM

Howard Stern is, obviously, not a social con. He is of the Trey and Matt Stone, South Park conservative libertarian (We don’t really like conservatives, but we REALLY F&%$#@ HATE liberals.)

Two weeks out from D-Day, the enemy of the enemy is our friend.

silverfox on October 14, 2008 at 7:54 AM

bwhahahahaha

lodge on October 14, 2008 at 7:54 AM

2 is the answer…..no, #1……..or maybe 3…..yes 2+1=4?

Yes, definitely number four: Palin is the mayor of what city in Montana?

Rovin on October 14, 2008 at 7:59 AM

And just think…they’ll all be voting multiple times, thanks to ACORN.

Disturb the Universe on October 14, 2008 at 7:59 AM

I’ll give you Democrat voters are largely ill informed and “ill informed” is a euphemism for dumber than a stump.

there it is on October 14, 2008 at 8:01 AM

And u-tube will censor this video in 5-4-3-2-1……..

Rovin on October 14, 2008 at 8:01 AM

Only one person came close to saying it, so I will:

They are voting for Barack Hussein Obama because he is a Negro, one of their own. However, it is forbidden for me to say something comparable about my vote for John Sydney McCain. One side is allowed–even compelled–to hold racial loyalty, and the other side is forbidden–on pain of physical assault or worse–from holding it.

Now I’ll beat you PC-beaten, White Liberal Guilt-suffering “conservatives” to the punch, and go take my sheet to the cleaners.

Have a nice day.

Tommygun on October 14, 2008 at 8:04 AM

hahaha This is soo funny, yet so scary.

becki51758 on October 14, 2008 at 8:04 AM

Yep, great to see so many educated, informed people walking around out there getting ready to vote the wrong guy into office.

Talk about the Dumbing-Down of America!

pilamaye on October 14, 2008 at 8:06 AM

Art Linkletter is ready to make a comeback.

pugwriter on October 14, 2008 at 8:07 AM

I am sooooooo scared. These IDIOTS should NOT vote. There should be a test before you can vote.

I am buying guns and ammo.

Mercy4Me on October 14, 2008 at 8:08 AM

I be lovin’ it!

TheSitRep on October 14, 2008 at 8:08 AM

Guys, This is more common than we may think. I have friends that do not keep up with politics at all but are just now deciding on a president. They are the most conservitive I know and they were thinking of voting for Obama. They only watch the MSM if they watch TV at all. I think the anger we have is at the MSM not reporting the news!!

Razorsully on October 14, 2008 at 8:10 AM

Remember this also the next time someone makes disparaging remarks about how “dumb” folks are in the south and “flyover” country. Real geniuses supporting The One there in NYC, huh?

Sugar Land on October 14, 2008 at 8:13 AM

Lazy, ignorant people are incapable of self-goverment.

oldleprechaun on October 14, 2008 at 8:13 AM

No, not # 3. Jay Leno shows us with his man on the street interviews that the same dangerous ideology that took over the education system of this country has now successfully subverted the US election process. ACORN is now the political arm of the Obamas, Ayers, Wrights, Pelosis, Reids, etc. White teachers of our kids today couldn’t show you where Panama is on them map, or if NC was east or west of the Mississippi River. Black teachers are obviously in no better shape having come through our colleges and universities under the tutelege of Ayers and Ward type professors. But wow can they cover a banana or cucumber with a condom in record time. /s If we want our Republic back it will take blood in the streets since the ballot box has been removed as an option.

wepeople on October 14, 2008 at 8:14 AM

Racist!!!

BJ* on October 14, 2008 at 8:14 AM

I am buying guns and ammo.

Mercy4Me on October 14, 2008 at 8:08 AM

Truer words were never spoken.

The test should have 100 questions and if you score below 50% your vote is thrown out. if you get 75% then your vote would count .75 and so on.

Must be present to vote, show picture id to match voter roll and have your finger dipped in purple die.

Anyone that is found committing voter fraud should be shot as an enemy agent.

TheSitRep on October 14, 2008 at 8:15 AM

Lazy, ignorant people are incapable of self-goverment.

oldleprechaun on October 14, 2008 at 8:13 AM

“God takes care of children, drunks,
and the United States of America.”

–German general

silverfox on October 14, 2008 at 8:15 AM

Gotcha journalism!

Dash on October 14, 2008 at 8:20 AM

I’m not a Howard Stern fan, but I’m glad he did this bit.
He’s the only white guy who can get away with it.

dinobalz on October 14, 2008 at 8:20 AM

I wish this was funny,but it is to scary to be funny.
This is the same idiocy that I have seen over the last 8 yrs. when discussing the War on Terror,bogus election being stolen in 2000-2004,Pre-war intelligence,Katrina…etc….etc….etc.

Easily 90% of Obama supporters I talk to have no idea about Obama’s policies or his radical leftist ties.

Explains why a failed community organizer whose only accomplishment is writing two books about himself is considered by liberals ready to lead this country.

Liberals are always having to tell everybody how smart they
are because it doesn’t show.

Baxter Greene on October 14, 2008 at 8:21 AM

Ed, Think maybe it could also be that most Obama supporters don’t have a damn clue as to where he stands on issues? I will bet you anything that although there are some republican that would be just as stupid, they are far fewer that are this damn stupid. I actually have found that most of the Obama supporters that I come in contact with are pretty much what Stern found. I sometimes think that you and Ala both bend over just bet much to give the impression you are fair. Frankly I get a little tired of it as it isn’t necessary because you are more than fair.

devere252 on October 14, 2008 at 8:21 AM

The interviewer was ill-informed also. That I’m was aware I thought McCain was not “anti-stem cell” research. You know it’s one of the things that doesn’t make him “McSame.”

terryannonline on October 14, 2008 at 8:21 AM

I can’t even begin to state how stupid the idea of having to pass a test to vote is.

Darth Executor on October 14, 2008 at 8:22 AM

These are people with no vested interest in the success of the American experiment. Remember the good old days when one had to be a land owner in order to vote?

pugwriter on October 14, 2008 at 8:28 AM

terryannonline,

but what is the brilliance of this “trick?”

That while most black people are posing to be concerned about the issues, the only real issue is to have a black President.
The ease with which they “agree” with Barack Obama on suggested but false stands on the issues is stunning.

silverfox on October 14, 2008 at 8:31 AM

THE O JESSE KNOWS

The most important change would occur in the Middle East, where “decades of putting Israel’s interests first” would end.

Jackson believes that, although “Zionists who have controlled American policy for decades” remain strong, they’ll lose a great deal of their clout when Barack Obama enters the White House.

Bomb Iran!

Mercy4Me on October 14, 2008 at 8:32 AM

The founding fathers had it correct in who should and should not vote.

Jdripper on October 14, 2008 at 8:33 AM

Sad and frightening.

And hilarious.

hillbillyjim on October 14, 2008 at 8:39 AM

Remember the good old days when one had to be a land owner in order to vote?

pugwriter on October 14, 2008 at 8:28 AM

In my neck of the homeland (Nor Cal) do you realize how many rich pieces of real estate I see with Dem/Obama signage staked thereon?

How many hard working, small business running, Republican- voting renters are there??

A lot !

silverfox on October 14, 2008 at 8:40 AM

there it is on October 14, 2008 at 8:01 AM

Concur. There it is.

hillbillyjim on October 14, 2008 at 8:43 AM

Anybody seen my towel? I’ve got to throw it in….

CC

CapedConservative on October 14, 2008 at 8:44 AM

Obama supporters can be classified in 3 groups:
A. Morons
B. Marxists
C. Combination of A & B.

There is nothing we can do to change there minds.

TheSitRep on October 14, 2008 at 8:47 AM

Jdripper on October 14, 2008 at 8:33 AM

So did mine, in 1215.

OldEnglish on October 14, 2008 at 8:47 AM

I loved that they all thought that Sarah Palin was Obama’s VP choice.

I’m assuming that it is really a blend of all three.

Illinidiva on October 14, 2008 at 8:57 AM

Tommygun on October 14, 2008 at 8:04 AM

that is a fair assessment..

one thing that most people are afraid to say in a public forum, even though they will whisper it at night to a close friend..

DaveC on October 14, 2008 at 8:58 AM

Literacy test, anyone?

Send_Me on October 14, 2008 at 9:00 AM

This is why Democrats keep wining, a lot of stupid and uninformed people in the USA. No wonder why more and more people are choosing home schooling or private schools.

pukara61 on October 14, 2008 at 9:07 AM

NOOOOO…. That was absolutely the worst thing I’ve ever heard. I really hope it’s mostly #3, because if it isn’t, we’re in a lot of trouble.

The founding fathers had it correct in who should and should not vote.

Jdripper on October 14, 2008 at 8:33 AM

White male property owners? Passers of literacy tests? People who are able to pay a poll tax? I’m not sure where you are going here…

unclesmrgol on October 14, 2008 at 9:12 AM

Okay, now I remember why I used to listen to Stern, even though I had to switch the station often during a broadcast. It was stuff like this, for which he will catch flak for being racist and, worse yet, exposing the blatant ignorance of Obama fans (not to mention, pure racial voting)

I’ve seen this around here in Philly, but I didn’t think it was so bad as to agree to the Sarah Palin line!

Moxie on October 14, 2008 at 9:12 AM

I usually don’t bother emailing my idiot liberal friends, but I may send this to them.

BTW, Boortz’s program today will also feature on the street interviews from Harlem where voters are asked who they’re voting for and why.

Buy Danish on October 14, 2008 at 9:14 AM

Political scientists have known for a long time just how ignorant voters are. Hell, Plato and Aristotle made just this point 25 centuries ago. We should stop being surprised by it.

thuja on October 14, 2008 at 9:16 AM

This here is risky but does anyone remember the “Black Jeopardy” bit that Howard Stern used to do? The names he had for the contestants were hysterical but VERY un-PC.

Moxie on October 14, 2008 at 9:16 AM

These guys are making fun of people’s ignorance, but they are ignorant of the fact that McCain is not anti-stem cell research. He’s just against using tax dollars to kill fetuses to get the stem cells.

jgapinoy on October 14, 2008 at 9:18 AM

m064404 on October 14, 2008 at 7:50 AM

The idea has been preserved in the Electoral College, which of course the liberals (and some conservatives, probably) foolishly want to do away with.

There is no provision in the US Constitution for the direct election by popular vote of either the President or the Electors within the states.

This video clip demonstrates succinctly why we should return to the Founders’ intentions and prescriptions, and abolish national campaigns for the Presidency.

MrLynn on October 14, 2008 at 9:21 AM

Ed, you are way underestimating # 1 and 2. See the comments on the piece above!

EnglishMike on October 14, 2008 at 9:24 AM

Hey, Ed, I was the one who sent this to you last night.

For all who didn’t hear the original broadcast, That was in Harlem, and the “reporter” was Sal Governale.

Like it says on Youtube… Wow. Just Wow!

Mazztek on October 14, 2008 at 9:26 AM

Ed it is not #3. As a black conservative I play this game all the time. I ask a black person about policy, giving the Republican plan and the Democrat plan. Most every black person I ask the questions will pick the conservative policy position 4 out of 5 times. I then inform them they have choosen on the Republican side, and watch the disappointment in their face, then comes some ridiculous non-sequitor on why voting Democrat is better. “George Bush hates black people.” “Reagan was racist etc.” I doubt it took two hours and they only had 3 people that answered ridiculously.

Didn’t Colbert do the same thing in Harlem? Asking black people why they vote Democrat. Some guy said “Because I’m black!” which is true. Most know nothing else and their skin color is linked to the Democrat party, period. That is the entire scope of their political understanding. It is sad, but it is true.

Theworldisnotenough on October 14, 2008 at 9:36 AM

Mercy4Me on October 14, 2008 at 8:32 AM

Jackson is right about Jews having much less influence if Obama wins the election.

Any Jew who votes for Obama is a fool.

AZCoyote on October 14, 2008 at 9:38 AM

That Sarah Palin will make a great VP under Obama.
These people get to vote and their vote is equal to ours?

By ‘these’ I mean Obama supporters. No racism intended.

carbon_footprint on October 14, 2008 at 9:42 AM

I think we could have avoided the Obama mistake by:
A: Only allowing landowners to vote.
Or:
B: Not allowing welfare recipients to vote.
Reason: When you don’t have anything to lose, you vote for losers.
I now await the obvious “racist” tag; even though race wasn’t mentioned. And yes I know there’s a constitutional hurdle there.

SKYFOX on October 14, 2008 at 9:45 AM

This totally reinforces what I’ve been say for a while now. When I ask these BO supporters what BO policies they like, I get nothing but incoherent mumble jumble. They can’t even list one policy that he stands for.

I should do as Stern did and simply substitute McCain’s policies and see if they agree with McCain, I mean BO. But then, I think it would be counter productive, and at best miss informative.

I’ll just stick with the fact BO endorses infanticide, socialism, domestic terrorists, wants to undermine our first and second amendments and socialize our Constitution. I’m just waiting for the “Obama Truth Squad” to show up at my front door any day now.

KCtheKat on October 14, 2008 at 10:24 AM

This would make a GREAT RNC ad!!

Star20 on October 14, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Bwwwaaaaaa!

File this one next to the video of Luntz’s putzes, where the self-described supporters of Obama were asked to name an accomplishment…just one. None could.

Jaibones on October 14, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Too funny!

Tzetzes on October 14, 2008 at 10:32 AM

I think we could have avoided the Obama mistake by: A: Only allowing landowners to vote. Or: B: Not allowing welfare recipients to vote. – SKYFOX on October 14, 2008 at 9:45 AM

Better yet:

1. Eliminate federal welfare entirely by leaving the matter up to the states

2. Abolish federal government worker unions and prohibit federal gov’t employees from unionizing

3. Disenfranchise all federal employees from federal elections; if the states were smart, they’d do the same at the state level and so on down the line.

This should take care of 90% of the problem

ManlyRash on October 14, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Any Jew black who votes for Obama is a fool.

AZCoyote on October 14, 2008 at 9:38 AM

Just a handful of my black friends would be described on policy positions as liberal. They are far more likely than my white liberal brothers (yeah) and friends to be pro-life, strong on national defense, fiscally conservative, anti-government intervention, personal responsibility, and less likely to be a slave of the environmental movement.

Jaibones on October 14, 2008 at 10:35 AM

1. American voters are largely ill-informed.
2. People vote for brands, not policy.

4. There is no substantive difference between the two, particularly on economic and other domestic issues.

fourstringfuror on October 14, 2008 at 10:47 AM

While I agree that Stern is irrelavent, I find it hilarious that he is pointing out the idiocy of Obama supporters. But I think he should widen the survey to all Obama supporters (not just blacks). I think you will find the sames levels of idiocy there as well.

HotAirExpert on October 14, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Is Stearns Jewish? Myabe he heard JJ’ comment.

davidk on October 14, 2008 at 11:20 AM

So what does this prove?

1. American voters are largely ill-informed.
2. People vote for brands, not policy.

#2.

Obama’s greatest success in this campaign was establishing his “brand” early. This was easy for Obama to do because the policy positions of the major Democrat candidates in the primary were not really that different, so Obama could focus on running against the establishment, embodied by Hillary and Bush.

Because of the rough and tumble Republican primary amongst candidates with real ideological differences, and thanks to the MSM echo chamber promoting Obama’s “Change” message, McCain has had to shift his pitch as he moved through the primaries and into the general election. I thought “Country First” was a good brand — simple and an accurate reflection of who McCain is — but they have not consistently pounded it the way O! has used “Change.”

Y-not on October 14, 2008 at 11:29 AM

It’s time for secession.

Which state will break off first? Alaska? Texas?

Even the Roman Empire split in two with a Western and Eastern half.

The slide to marxism in the USA will not end. The schools are politicized to the left along with the universities. The time to make a move for secession is at the height of weakness of the federal government combined with possibly an outsider to assist. With the deficit set to rise under Obama to close to 8%+ of GDP, we are headed for either default or high inflation. All that a split-away group of states would need is atomic/nuclear weapons to prevent attacks from the federal government which would be difficult due to leftists already being against the military and guns in general.

Could it happen in our lifetimes? In our children’s lifetimes?

I do know this. Freedom is ONLY for people that fight for it. Complaining about losing your freedom to Obama, Dems, and Marxists, doesn’t get your freedoms back.

Sapwolf on October 14, 2008 at 11:54 AM

In some cases, it’s not just racism that’s motivating some of the Obamabots, it’s also narcissism.

I have an acquaintance who was initially quite upfront about the fact that he was supporting that one not only because he was black but also because that one came from a broken family with an absentee father. This acquaintance also came from a broken family, with a crackhead mother and a worthless Five Percenter (radical offshoot of the Nation of Islam, if you can imagine, dedicated to fathering as many illegitimate children as possible and refusing to raise any of them) father.

This acquaintance likes to indulge in magical thinking and fantasy, and the big fantasy here is that if Barack Obama can be president, then so can he, so by voting for that one, he’s literally voting for himself.

Kensington on October 14, 2008 at 12:31 PM

#2 is because of #1. This is one thing I realize more and more. We’re in the information age and people are no more informed then they ever were. We come to this site because we want to stay informed, a huge number of Americans can’t be bothered to do any research on candidates’ policies. As long as they get to vote dozens of times for their favorite dancing has-been they’ll be happy. Too many generations have had it easy and their way of life is taken for granted. This is what makes prosperity a double edged sword.

Sorry for the Eeyore moment.

kongzilla on October 14, 2008 at 12:50 PM

I’m sure I risk being banned just for pointing this out… but it’s really secret answer #4…. they’re in friggin Harlem! What do you expect?

RightWinged on October 14, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Funny!

Califemme on October 14, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Truly- is anyone really surprised by this? These morons are probably part of the 40% of Americans not paying federal income taxes, and waiting for The One to dole out their “refund” after he soaks the people who do pay taxes. You know- “spread the wealth” for social justice.

alwaysright43 on October 14, 2008 at 8:21 PM

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”

Cr4sh Dummy on October 14, 2008 at 8:29 PM