WaPo poll: Obama rated a “safer” choice for president than McCain

posted at 1:40 pm on October 13, 2008 by Allahpundit

Three caveats off the bat: (1) Whereas WaPo has Obama up 10 among likelies, other polls like Rasmussen show the race tightening; (2) Tapper’s hearing from people inside Team Barry (perhaps trying to lower expectations) that Obama’s doing worse and McCain’s doing better than recent polls indicate and that it should be within three or so on election day; and (3) with the Dow up big today and further government action coming to put out the financial fire, the calmer things get economically, the better Maverick’s chances are.

Even so, we’re all wondering how well the Ayers attacks are working and this is the best measure I’ve seen so far. It’s true that the sample’s skewed more heavily towards the Dems than usual — 39 D, 30 R — but for perspective, note that the June 15 numbers were based on a sample of 38 D and just 26 R. The good news, I guess, is that Obama’s not any “safer” now than he was on September 29, but that’s a cold comfort for the Ayers strategy.

Either McCain’s not pushing it hard enough or it’s backfiring. The trend in favorables:

A separate question found that 68 percent think Obama’s addressing the issues versus 26 percent who think he’s attacking his opponent; for Maverick, the numbers are 26 percent and 59 percent (up 11 points since August), respectively. The debates aren’t helping either, with opinions of The One having improved 32 percent afterwards versus declined by just eight percent while for McCain it’s almost the opposite: 12 percent improvement versus 26 percent decline.

Here’s Kristol on Fox News Sunday anticipating this morning’s column by ranting about the state of Maverick’s strategy. Exit question: What’s McCain’s way out? He’s not going to push anything new on the economy, which 53 percent rate as their number one issue. Among that 53 percent, The One is favored — 62/33. Oof.

Update: The new Gallup’s just out. After showing the lead shrinking yesterday to seven points, it’s back to 10. Cue the warnings about weekend polls of conservative voters who are busy at church.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Well, guys, I love Michelle – but sometimes I think she makes too much of certain things. This just doesn’t seem to me to be the equivalent of Obama’s involvement with ACORN in any way, shape, or form, and she’s already got people whipped up into considering changing their vote.

If people stop and think about this, it’s not necessary to overreact. McCain may have had coffee with ACORN, but Obama dated and was married to them for a number of years. He was actually involved.

capitalist piglet on October 13, 2008 at 2:29 PM

In 2012 they will foist RINO Jeb Bush on us.

Hilts on October 13, 2008 at 2:22>

Hell no… revolt and raise up someone reasonable. Palin’s at the top of the list right now but there’s several others, wherever that list wandered off to.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 13, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Not so sure about Sarah Palin (she will be associated with a loser like McCain) but Jindal might be the one for us.

Hilts on October 13, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Connie on October 13, 2008 at 1:43 PM

The meak will never inherit the earth, but they will vote for their Messiah exploiter.

TRC, if he wins, the conservatives being screwed for so many years will be the least of the effect.

Entelechy on October 13, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Really? McCain is going to Maine? That’s kinda interesting. Guess he thinks that possible EV is doable and necessary.

Well Palin is.

Even better. :-D

Slublog on October 13, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Anyone notice that everytime Palin/McCain go after Obama we get a bump? Go for Barry’s F’ng throat. – Wright

marklmail on October 13, 2008 at 2:30 PM

When did you become mr positive? Man, I don’t wanna be the only gloomy gus. – lorien1973 on October 13, 2008 at 2:16 PM

It isn’t hope or thinking positively, Lorien…I just know. I can’t explain how or why I know, I just know. As the events unfold each day, there is a little part of me that says “Yup…just as I figured,” as if it were some kind of deja vu.

McCain is going to win this election. I’m more certain now than ever before – and the fact that I am neither overjoyed nor relieved at the prospect of his victory, convinces me even more that I am right.

For what it’s worth, my late mother used to dream of things would later come to pass. I don’t claim to have her sight, but sometimes I get a sense for these things. I’m not a big believer in ESP or clairvoyance and the doubts I have regarding these phenomena often cause me to second-guess these thoughts. Not anymore, not this time.

McCain is going to win. Sorry to disappoint you.

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Jim Treacher s/b invited to blog on this site.

Entelechy on October 13, 2008 at 2:30 PM

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 2:30 PM

A McCain win is going to disappoint a great number of people here, I suspect.

wise_man on October 13, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Bishop on October 13, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Not to worry–most of the southern cities don’t have the ACORN-type groups going around and buying votes, giving free car rides, etc. So the majority of avid Obamamites will not be going to the polls.

McCain will easily win the south (as usual, Florida will be the only close state).

m064404 on October 13, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Nostradumbas

marklmail on October 13, 2008 at 2:31 PM

It’s the twilight zone. Should polls be believed?

BL@KBIRD on October 13, 2008 at 2:31 PM

First nail in the coffin of the free market.

Link

Personal responsibility is always the first to die.

Nice job, America.

lorien1973 on October 13, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Whoo hoo!!! 90 days free rent!!!!

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 13, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Or perhaps they are not as confident that all their imaginary friends will get their ballots validated. – Spirit of 1776 on October 13, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Or, perhaps, that the majority of their most enthusiastic voter base (idiot college kids) will fail to vote on election day, as they have failed to so ever since being enfranchised.

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 2:33 PM

A McCain win is going to disappoint a great number of people here, I suspect. – wise_man on October 13, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Not to mention a great number of people in the Drive-By media.

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Sooooo, 6% unemployment dictates that we SUSPEND attempts for lenders to get THEIR property back???? Carter had 12% unemployment. Socialism indeed.

marklmail on October 13, 2008 at 2:34 PM

m064404 on October 13, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Of that I have no doubt, but if Odummy wins it all, it will be up to the south to lead the nation back from his destruction. It will not come from the north, we like our stupid-ass, yellow dog politicians such as Franken, Wellstone, Ellison, etc.

Bishop on October 13, 2008 at 2:34 PM

McCain is going to win. Sorry to disappoint you.

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Holding McCain’s feet to the fire everyday so he doesn’t go wobbly will be needed. One step forward, one step back.

JiangxiDad on October 13, 2008 at 2:35 PM

It’s the twilight zone. Should polls be believed? – BL@KBIRD on October 13, 2008 at 2:31 PM

The believability of Drive-By media polls is nil. Trust Rasmussen. Gallup and Zogby will increase in accuracy the closer we get to election day.

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 2:35 PM

I really don’t understand why the same small group of people who allege that they are conservative have to continually post how much the hate McCain in every d*mn thread.

Just admit you want Obama to win and shut up.

Blake on October 13, 2008 at 2:25 PM

It;’s because we are voting for McCain and he is losing and the reason he is losing is that he is not acting liek a conservative. This was never a pro MCCain electorate, it was an either pro OBama or anti Obama electorate. Tahks to the GOP primary voter – the dumbest assholes out there, we have a candidate that we are lukewarm about at best. FYI I have donated to McCain and will vote for him although I live in New York City and it would not matter. I am not sitting this one out and I will not vote for some Bob Barr loon. I do not believe in the purity of losing. I supported Rudy, then Romney, then Thompson – however I wanted to beat Obama badly. Having lived in NYC and seen Rudy debate I think he would have crushed Barry but we will never know. Don’t expect much from Jeb Bush in 2012 when the Rockefeller/Bush Establishment foists him on us as our nominee.

Hilts on October 13, 2008 at 2:36 PM

wise_man on October 13, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Nothing in Mac’s speech today about Ayers, Wright, ACORN or New Party. He isn’t touching these subjects; they’re out. And if Palin touches them, Obomber just plays McCain’s ‘decent family man, not to be feared’ etc. With those boneheaded comments Friday, McCain:
1) innoculated the ‘bomber against all attacks on his fitness;
2)feeds the attacks on his running mate;
3) endorsed the MSM’s view that Wright Ayers et al are off limits; and
4) endorsed the MSM/left view that the GOP base is a bunch of slobbering racists.

Dumbest remarks of the campaign, hands down. Way worse than Fiorina or Gramm. If he were not the candidate himself, the McCain Campaign would have canned him.

james23 on October 13, 2008 at 2:37 PM

lorien, I’ll join you on the “no responsibility” – might quit job if the big O wins. Why support all I don’t believe in with my hard-earned efforts? Plenty of work in other ways. Doing the right thing is not rewarded, by both candidates. McCain can’t even clarify this in speeches.

ManlyRash, as bad as both candidates are, if you’re right, you pick, seriously.

However, don’t bank on the idealistic socialist youth to stay home this time.

Entelechy on October 13, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Hilts on October 13, 2008 at 2:36 PM

No, it is because conservatives can’t quit pulling on their own member long enough to care where the bus is headed.

Limerick on October 13, 2008 at 2:39 PM

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 2:35 PM

see you are calmer today……………

kareyk on October 13, 2008 at 2:40 PM

A McCain win is going to disappoint a great number of people here, I suspect.

wise_man on October 13, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Wrong again. I hope like heck he wins, not because I think he is a great candidate, he isn’t; but because I really like the VP and detest the opposition. Lots of people who don’t care for this candidate are trying to drag his sorry campaign across the finish line nonetheless. YOu and I are allies, for better or worse.

james23 on October 13, 2008 at 2:40 PM

now you’re saying that Obapo is going to lose this thing?

Yup.

What in the hell am I going to do with 1,000 pounds of freeze-dried soy meal and a state of the art chemical toilet?

Send them to Obama’s brother in Kenya as a hut-warming gift.

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Entelechy on October 13, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Get on over here to Texas and go into Collective Farming with me!

RushBaby on October 13, 2008 at 2:47 PM

see you are calmer today…………… – kareyk on October 13, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Lots of Advil, Dayquil and the occasional Benadryl. The invasion proceeded from the lungs to the sinuses and my farking head feels like it’s gonna explode. Plus, I can’t access AOL because of a glitch.

Other than that, Mrs. Kennedy, this Dallas motorcade thing is going really well.

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Cuz they are the 12th man for Obama here. Without their cover fire, Obama would be toast.

lorien1973 on October 13, 2008 at 2:28 PM

The silent majority might yet put the last nail in their coffin and pee on their final parade.

Entelechy on October 13, 2008 at 2:47 PM

With those boneheaded comments Friday, McCain:
1) innoculated the ‘bomber against all attacks on his fitness;
2)feeds the attacks on his running mate;
3) endorsed the MSM’s view that Wright Ayers et al are off limits; and

james23 on October 13, 2008 at 2:37 PM

I agree. It was okay to correct the woman who said Obama was an Arab, but all that other crap he said was the demoralizing thing I’ve seen this campaign. Either Obama is unfit to be president because he associates with radicals and accuses soldiers of bombing civilians or he’s not. You can’t have it both ways.

CanadianGuy on October 13, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Jim Treacher s/b invited to blog on this site.

Jim already blogs here and here.

You aren’t reading those sites? You should be. At any rate, I’m just glad he’s been popping up all around the Innertubes these last couple of months.

Physics Geek on October 13, 2008 at 2:48 PM

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 2:47 PM

I feel your pain

kareyk on October 13, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Get on over here to Texas and go into Collective Farming with me!

RushBaby on October 13, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Dearest RB, plus taking care of so many animals, writing about ‘humanity’ willingly destroying itself, step, after step. However, nothing c/b called “collective”. The word nauseates me. It’s in my conscious and subconscious as one of the most despised things.

Entelechy on October 13, 2008 at 2:50 PM

ManlyRash, as bad as both candidates are, if you’re right, you pick, seriously.

I’m an amateur pundit – not a farking sommelier. Pick your own goddamned champagne.

However, don’t bank on the idealistic socialist youth to stay home this time.

Human nature never changes. Make book on that.

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Limerick on October 13, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Can you be honest and tell us upfront that you think that McCain has run a good campaign? Yeah I thought you couldn’t.

Hilts on October 13, 2008 at 2:55 PM

I feel your pain – kareyk on October 13, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Unless your sinuses are packed with 8 lbs. of mucous at a pressure approaching the kilopascal range, I seriously doubt it.

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Jim already blogs here and here.

Physics Geek on October 13, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Of course I read them. I meant in addition to them, and in addition to being linked to, here, often. Bottom line, more of him.

Entelechy on October 13, 2008 at 2:55 PM

ManylRash, what’s the matter with you? It was symbolic, totally in support of you. I don’t like champagne.

Entelechy on October 13, 2008 at 2:57 PM

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 2:55 PM
you have no idea….

kareyk on October 13, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Also, ManlyRash, may you be right on our youth.

Entelechy on October 13, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Is this the same “old” picture where he looks like he has a halo…or aNOTHER one?
http:

scalleywag on October 13, 2008 at 3:00 PM

ManylRash, what’s the matter with you?
Entelechy on October 13, 2008 at 2:57 PM

he’s snarky when not feeling well- he’ll be nice again. maybe

kareyk on October 13, 2008 at 3:00 PM

lorien1973 on October 13, 2008 at 3:01 PM

he’s snarky when not feeling well- he’ll be nice again. maybe

kareyk on October 13, 2008 at 3:00 PM

I don’t care if he’s “nice”, so long as he’ll be well soon, and his political gut is right.

Entelechy on October 13, 2008 at 3:02 PM

lorien1973 on October 13, 2008 at 3:01 PM

keep the faith- it may be all we have.

kareyk on October 13, 2008 at 3:02 PM

and his political gut is right.

Entelechy on October 13, 2008 at 3:02 PM

Manly’s political gut is always right. Never doubt it.

kareyk on October 13, 2008 at 3:03 PM

In 2012 they will foist RINO Jeb Bush on us.

Hilts on October 13, 2008 at 2:22>

I think we’ve had enough of presidents named Bush for a while.

sdd on October 13, 2008 at 3:07 PM

The only thing that I could fathom McCain saying is that Obama isn’t scary because of his ethnicity, color of his skin, etc. But to say Obama’s not scary is unfathomable.
Anyway, Dow up nearly 700 points as of now, hopefully this will continue this week, and with gas under 80 dollars will send more clear thinking towards McCain.

eaglewingz08 on October 13, 2008 at 3:09 PM

Jim Treacher s/b invited to blog on this site.

Entelechy on October 13, 2008 at 2:30 PM

I second this motion.

Unfortunately, I think that means we have to have a poll.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 13, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Also, ManlyRash, may you be right on our youth. – Entelechy on October 13, 2008 at 2:59 PM

I am always right. Except, of course, for those rare occasions when I am wrong.

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 3:13 PM

I think we’ve had enough of presidents named Bush for a while.

sdd on October 13, 2008 at 3:07 PM

In 2012, Bush might be a good name again. After what’s coming up.

lorien1973 on October 13, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Grue in the Attic on October 13, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Yes, definitely. Treacher has a unique way of cutting through the bull crap.

lorien1973 on October 13, 2008 at 3:13 PM

I think we’ve had enough of presidents named Bush for a while. – sdd on October 13, 2008 at 3:07 PM

In 2012 Sarah Palin will be elected as the 45th president of the U.S.

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 3:14 PM

That’s pretty much where I’m at. Maybe it’s simple spite, but they’re a little too strenuous about insisting it’s all over and I’m not buying it. My gut tells me they’re really worried and they’re trying to psyche me out. Well, I’ve got enough psyche for both of us.

And I don’t see what’s in it for me to start moaning about how it’s over, and we’re all gonna live in Oceania with Winston Smith, and boo-hoo-hoo. Does Hallmark make a “Congratulations, You Were Right About the Guy You Don’t Like Winning the Election” card?

As for me blogging in more places, let me know who’s paying. I might need to line something up here pretty soon.

Jim Treacher on October 13, 2008 at 3:16 PM

ManylRash, what’s the matter with you? – Entelechy on October 13, 2008 at 2:57 PM

The flu. As I loathe sick people, I am understandably ornery

he’s snarky when not feeling well- he’ll be nice again. maybe – kareyk on October 13, 2008 at 3:00 PM

We’ll see, kayak.

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 3:17 PM

I second this motion.

Unfortunately, I think that means we have to have a poll.

DOES NOT COMPUTE! DOES NOT COMP#$%)F_#$01001010101010110

Jim Treacher on October 13, 2008 at 3:17 PM

lorien1973 on October 13, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Never fear: Eeyorepundit will make it shrivel by day’s end.

Physics Geek on October 13, 2008 at 3:18 PM

As a politician, John McCain reminds me of the hapless Ehud Olmert of Israel (without the corruption).

Hilts on October 13, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Jim Treacher on October 13, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Don’t make too much extra- you will be paying higher taxes as it is. there will no incentive to work harder or make more money.

kareyk on October 13, 2008 at 3:21 PM

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 3:17 PM

in that I have no doubt.

kareyk on October 13, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Let ‘em know your card request.

Jim Treacher on October 13, 2008 at 3:23 PM

I heard that Russia, Iran, Venezuela and a few other nations believe Obama is the “safer” choice for them also.

la.rt.wngr on October 13, 2008 at 3:28 PM

la.rt.wngr on October 13, 2008 at 3:28 PM

BHO is only a threat to the US- not our enemies and they all know it.

kareyk on October 13, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Someone explain to me how it is a “safer” choice to be under the rule of President B.O. for four years, as opposed to having McCain calling the shots.

And I suggest you make it one heck of a convincing explanation.

pilamaye on October 13, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Here’s part of a post I made yesterday when I was in a better mood. Hope it helps.

I will be holding my nose and voting for McCain on 11/4 because I love my country…

But over these last few weeks I have been increasingly troubled by that tiny little voice in my head that’s telling me that a McCain presidency will destroy the conservative brand forever. After 8 years of the pseudo-conservative Bush, and another 4 of pseudo-conservative McCain, the country will swing overwhelmingly to the Democrats in order to rid themselves of what they perceive to be “conservative” malfeasance.

As a result, beginning in 2012 we will suffer perhaps 16 years of extreme leftist governance with the likes of Obama and/or Clinton from which this country may never recover.
Palin, Jindal, DeMint, and all the other true conservatives will be swept into the dustbin of history.

On the other hand, if Obama wins, my guess is that by the time the 2010 mid-term elections roll around, the country will be so fed up with his socialist redistribution of wealth, America-bashing, and diminished national security that true conservatives will reap the rewards of markedly increased numbers in the House and Senate, and quite possibly a majority in both. This scenario could set the stage for a landslide for a real conservative in the 2012 Presidential.

In the first scenario (a McCain win) the GOP will only hold onto the presidency for 4 years and the chances are fairly decent that no one on the SCOTUS will die in that short period of time. However, it is nearly certain that one or more will die during the 16 years of leftist rule that will surely follow McCain’s tenure.

In the second scenario, we only have to hope and pray that members of the SCOTUS keep kickin’ for about two years. By then (the midterms) I think there will be enough opposition in Congress to block any judicial activists that would be nominated.

IrishEi on October 12, 2008 at 11:15 AM

IrishEi on October 13, 2008 at 3:36 PM

In 2012 Sarah Palin will be elected as the 45th president of the U.S.

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Is this you being cordial, just guessing, or is that another actual prediction along the lines of your “McCain is going to win” certainty?

(Please say the latter, please please please please please…)

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on October 13, 2008 at 3:37 PM

It is probably the result of Obama sucessfully painting McCain as “erratic” which if the Republicans would call out Ageism half as fast as Obama does racism could be neutralized.

Old people behave erratically. I know my mom is 90. So there is a big underlying doubt created about health, age, mental health etc. Brillant really, especially since they got away with it.

petunia on October 13, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Sarah Palin will be elected president in 2012.

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 3:45 PM

In other words, I think the only way we’re going to see Sarah Palin as POTUS is if McCain loses… – IrishEi on October 12, 2008 at 11:15 AM

Or does not opt for a second term. Or…

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 3:46 PM

I hope, dare I say it, optimism on this site has made my heart grow 3 times bigger this day. – lorien1973 on October 13, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Then I suggest you see a cardiologist immediately.

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 3:48 PM

BHO is only a threat to the US- not our enemies and they all know it.

kareyk on October 13, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Agreed.

la.rt.wngr on October 13, 2008 at 3:49 PM

ManlyRash, get well soon. No need to be “nice”, just right.

May you and Jim Treacher be right.

Let ‘em know your card request.

Jim Treacher on October 13, 2008 at 3:23 PM

“Horrific times r here”? Just like Rosie would say.

“Obama: trick or trick”?

Entelechy on October 13, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Hello there, Manly!

You wrote: “Sarah Palin will be elected president in 2012.”

I read: “…after she completes McCain’s unfinished term.”

Then you wrote: “Or…”

I’m telling you—evil twin.

IrishEi on October 13, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Sarah Palin will be elected president in 2012.

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Heh, Hillary, not lorien, will need a cardiologist.

Entelechy on October 13, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Then you wrote: “Or…” – IrishEi on October 13, 2008 at 3:51 PM

I’d rather not discuss that.

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 4:06 PM

The terrorist’s-best-hope is a safer choice to the American former-POW patriot??? Yeah… that makes a lot of sense

Gimme a break! Everything in this country is bass akwards!

ErinF on October 13, 2008 at 6:57 PM

In 2012 Sarah Palin Mike Huckabee will be elected as the 45th president of the U.S.

ManlyRash on October 13, 2008 at 3:14 PM

SaintOlaf on October 13, 2008 at 6:59 PM

As much as I plan on voting for Grampa, I believe he will so incense the Republican party (and Sarah Palin) once in office that we will have wished Obama had won. He will divide the party deeply and leave us scarred for years. I can imagine him praising Obama on tax code, kissing up to Pelosi on social spending, and Schumer on immigration.

He is not conservatively ideological, but a pacifist with scars.

leftnomore on October 13, 2008 at 7:27 PM