Video: Tammy Bruce on the Palin t-shirts

posted at 10:00 pm on October 13, 2008 by Allahpundit

Why have these gotten a fraction of the coverage of the “Iron My Shirt” sign that was waved at Hillary despite being considerably nastier? Because, silly: This time the target’s a conservative, which means the malefactors are presumably “enlightened,” which in turn means they’re not part of any larger pattern of behavior. Except, as Tammy explains, they sort of are. Says she of The One, “He has given [tacit] permission to some of these supporters to behave in this manner.” I wouldn’t go quite that far, but it’s true enough that Obama’s never seemed particularly troubled by the nastier attacks on Hillary. Why would he be? If working with a terrorist doesn’t bother him, foulness from supporters he’ll never meet surely won’t.

Not sure I agree with her that these are quite as bad as similar t-shirts with a racial slur would be, but that’s a point on which people of good faith can disagree, and in any case, “what’s more offensive?” discussions are rarely productive. Exit question reminder: If you think the shirts are as bad as it gets, think again.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

“Sir.”

Bishop on October 13, 2008 at 11:05 PM

LOLOLOL! Touche.

I get called “ma’am” on the phone a lot — and my voice isn’t that freaking femmy. But I can’t help my “gay voice.” I was once asked by an AT&T representative to state my relation to myself. Like I was my own wife or something. I messed with the rep quite a bit after that and didn’t let that drop.

But that’s spot on. LOL!

lansing quaker on October 13, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Some of us do put Country First.
lansing quaker on October 13, 2008 at 11:02 PM

If Oloopy wins, you will get the chance to be first in the “Party Traitor” line too; the left has little forgiveness for those such as yourself who stray from the predefined limits of the reservation.

Gay, liberal and voting McCain? You might as well paint a target on your back.

Bishop on October 13, 2008 at 11:09 PM

Bishop on October 13, 2008 at 11:05 PM

Win.

spmat on October 13, 2008 at 11:09 PM

From Jim Treacher’s blog, a great response.

Entelechy on October 13, 2008 at 11:10 PM

From Jim Treacher’s blog, a great response.

Entelechy on October 13, 2008 at 11:10 PM

God I hope that’s real. I want, nay, I need one!

hawkdriver on October 13, 2008 at 11:11 PM

I honestly can’t think of a worse word to call a woman. Can any of you?
Esthier on October 13, 2008 at 11:01 PM

“Sir.”

Bishop on October 13, 2008 at 11:05 PM

This name calling reminds me of one time when a friend of ours, commenting on my wife’s appearance in her 8th month of pregnancy offered: “you must be due soon, you look like a barn” needles to say he was in the dog house for a long time, and my wife hasn’t forgotten yet, 16 years latter :)

neuquenguy on October 13, 2008 at 11:12 PM

As my wife said, Obama could take a stand and come out forcefully in his campaign rally tomorrow.

uncalheels on October 13, 2008 at 10:55 PM

Not ever going to happen. Someone said it earlier. This is the guy that flipped off Hillary Clinton during a primary and got away with it. He makes Slick Willy look sticky.

Opportunity after opportunity Obama has had to stand up for the right thing. If it doesn’t help Obama, he doesn’t care. His supporters are in for a big shock when they ask for more welfare and he tells them “I’m doubling the Peace Corps and I want you to volunteer”. That way he can get credit for reducing the welfare rolls.

Hog Wild on October 13, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Gay, liberal and voting McCain? You might as well paint a target on your back.

Bishop on October 13, 2008 at 11:09 PM

I was a “party traitor” the moment I supported that “Warmonger” Hillary who wanted to bomb Iran. I was called a racist, an insider, and a DINO.

Gays loved our Hillary.

I’ve been called a Racist for wearing my Sarah Palin shirt. I’ve heard it all. “Republicans want to put you in jail for being gay! They’re only out for their own power! Blah blah blah!”

Part of the PUMA pact is realizing that, yeah, we’re black sheep amongst our “progressive” betheren, but we know we’re putting country first and not legitimizing the tactics of Team Obama.

So I fully accept my vote and my stance. Lord knows it would be a heck of a lot easier to say “I support Obama!” and silently vote McCain. But I refuse to even passively support Obama in this way.

lansing quaker on October 13, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Try calling your girlfriend by your ex-wife’s name.
Sure is cold in here. brrrr
hawkdriver on October 13, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Hey, been there, fortunately there were some skilled doctors who were able to reassemble me.

The last thing I remember of that night was something which approximated a scene from ‘Aliens’ as a screeching creature which used to be my girlfriend launched itself toward me, teeth and claws extended.

Bishop on October 13, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Hog Wild on October 13, 2008 at 11:13 P

Or, it’ll be his little storm troopers from the video I saw that’ll come knocking on your door to get your kids for the peace corps.

hawkdriver on October 13, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Bishop on October 13, 2008 at 11:16 PM

I prefer the frontal assault over the cold shoulder. Cuts and bruises heal much quicker than that sore back you get from racking out in the living room.

hawkdriver on October 13, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Ironic that in the year when the real face of the left, with all its hatred, vile, bigotry, hypocrisy and moral bankruptcy is finally in full display for all to see, the democrats are poised to win the White House and super majorities in the house and senate.

There’s no poise involved. And it’s not Nov. 5.

Jim Treacher on October 13, 2008 at 11:21 PM

don’t think she’d be interested in you. She’s a lesbian, you know…

newton on October 13, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Awwww, I could convert her.

She is too hot to be lezbo. She just needs a real man………like me!

Roger Waters on October 13, 2008 at 11:21 PM

neuquenguy on October 13, 2008 at 11:12 PM

I can top that. While working retail as a younger man, a female coworker told me she would see me in a month or so “after the baby was born”.

I proceeded to say, like a slow-witted dumb-ass, “whose baby” to which she replied “MINE!” And again, failing to see the danger, I said “you’re pregnant?”

You see, she was a larger woman….

Bishop on October 13, 2008 at 11:22 PM

Roger Waters 11:21

Roger, are you sure that you aren’t just one brick from the wall short?

;)

Gohawgs on October 13, 2008 at 11:24 PM

That would last until 2 weeks after the election. Olbermann would have 20 special comments on that alone.

wise_man on October 13, 2008 at 10:43 PM

Oh I agree completely. The msm would be crying about it for looooong time! Olberman’s head would pop. LOL

What if I wore a “Palin is a ****” shirt with Palin crossed out and wrote “Michelle O” over it?

davidk on October 13, 2008 at 10:45 PM

ahhhh clevah! :-) What would the msm do then??? lol

artchick on October 13, 2008 at 11:30 PM

lansing quaker on October 13, 2008 at 11:13 PM

We’ve got a pretty big tent, or log cabin if you prefer.

Need a hag?

Laura in Maryland on October 13, 2008 at 11:31 PM

Take a look: McCain taking off the gloves? I can get behind this kind of response.

BuckeyeSam on October 13, 2008 at 11:33 PM

hawkdriver on October 13, 2008 at 11:16 PM

You mean for the Hitler Youth. Achtung! Wir will alles in Ordnung haben!

Laura in Maryland on October 13, 2008 at 11:35 PM

Roger, are you sure that you aren’t just one brick from the wall short?

;)

Gohawgs on October 13, 2008 at 11:24 PM

All in all…… Tammy the babe is just another brick in my Wall. :)

Roger Waters on October 13, 2008 at 11:36 PM

lansing quaker on October 13, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Whatever happens in this election, one of the things that shines above all the ugliness, is the emergence of the PUMAs, Although, as a full fledged conservative, I have many profound disagreements with the typical PUMA (democrat, liberal), I am grateful for them because they have not only demonstrated courage, integrity and a country-first attitude (which I sadly have to say I did not longer expect coming from democrats) but have also opened a new dialog between conservatives and liberals and within the democratic party itself which will hopefully help bring the democrats out of the loony wilderness, specialy if their coalition remains active after the election.

neuquenguy on October 13, 2008 at 11:38 PM

lansing quaker on October 13, 2008 at 11:13 PM

Thank you. What unites us is greater than what divides us.

Gilda on October 13, 2008 at 11:40 PM

You see, she was a larger woman….

Bishop on October 13, 2008 at 11:22 PM

We guys need to learn to keep our moths shut when it comes to this subject. My son got in trouble trying to complement my daughter by telling her she looked “pregnant in the face”
I have no idea what he was thinking.

neuquenguy on October 13, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Who says women who like women can’t have male friends, right Roger?

All in all, it’s great to see Tammy Bruce and others stepping up and taking the place of the George Will’s/David Frum’s/Brooks’ et al.

Gohawgs on October 13, 2008 at 11:44 PM

neuquenguy on October 13, 2008 at 11:38 PM

Amen. Pumas have created an opening for a dialog. Even though many of us conservative folk didn’t have a lot of love for Hillary before, her determination and grit earned her a great deal of respect. They way she was treated by the MSM and Kos crazies made some of us furious. To see Fr. Pflaeger dedicate a sermon to the mocking of another human being really made my blood boil.

I’m married to a democrat, and we manage to agree on many things. We can have a civilized conversation about a topic and still disagree. There are many areas where we can find a middle ground, but if there is only them vs. us, America never find it.

Laura in Maryland on October 13, 2008 at 11:48 PM

OT but, can someone name 5 CURRENT democrat Senators and/or Reps. that consistently put America first and aren’t just party loyalists? I can tick off 5 from the 60′s, 70′s, even the 80′s without much trouble but today’s group leaves me grasping for names…

Gohawgs on October 13, 2008 at 11:50 PM

neuquenguy on October 13, 2008 at 11:38 PM

I appreciate that, and on a personal level, I must say that honestly I have learned quite a bit coming from this PUMA standpoint. I dabbled in conservative thought (angryrenter.com comes to mind!) but despised columnists like Michelle Malkin. Now I adore her and admit that on quite a few issues, she’s right (the “gay” issues is another story).

On a bleeding-heart personal level, I came out when I was 14. Inner city school, 40% white, very homophobic rhetoric. I was never berated for being gay, because I didn’t play victim and always talked about issues that resonated with everyone and not just to a niche interest.

And this is what has turned me off Obama, liberal Obama-Leftists, and toward conservative thought and places like the Log Cabins. Opening a dialogue with conservatives (such as yourself and others) is far more productive than brow-beating PC bull. Considering the only times in my life I was ever called a “faggot” was by young African American men makes me realize that those “racist whites!!!” aren’t the enemy. There are no clear-cut angels and devils politically. All I can do is try to be a good citizen.

I just hope, that at the end of the day, you can understand we Hillary voters were doing so out of principle and experience. Even if you disagree with her from an ideological perspective, you know that she would be 200% (if not more) qualified and better than Obama.

Thank you. What unites us is greater than what divides us.

Gilda on October 13, 2008 at 11:40 PM

Agreed. And what unites us is love for this country. Country first, party second. I’m proud to be an American.

lansing quaker on October 13, 2008 at 11:50 PM

Wait until all those idiot nurses get a pay scale readjustment and end up working for ten bucks an hour. They just might regain their senses.

bloggless on October 13, 2008 at 11:51 PM

OT but, can someone name 5 CURRENT democrat Senators and/or Reps. that consistently put America first and aren’t just party loyalists? I can tick off 5 from the 60’s, 70’s, even the 80’s without much trouble but today’s group leaves me grasping for names…

Gohawgs on October 13, 2008 at 11:50 PM

IMO:

Lieberman
Sununu
Stabenow
Feingold
McCain

Of course, this is open to debate. ;)

lansing quaker on October 13, 2008 at 11:54 PM

Interesting. I just tried to do a Google search for pictures of the t-shirt wearing group and nothing shows up. At least in the first 10 pages of images. You would think that searching for “Palin C***” would have had a hit or two. Image clensing?

NCJeff on October 14, 2008 at 12:03 AM

Michigan Friend’s House guy @ 11:54

Last I knew McCain and Sununu were supposed to be republicans. From way down south, Feingold during this election cycle doesn’t look too much like an American first kinda guy. ‘Bout the only thing I know about Stabenow is that her trophy hubby was supposed to be cheating on her.

Gohawgs on October 14, 2008 at 12:05 AM

Gohawgs on October 13, 2008 at 11:50 PM

Still thinking, lansing quacker stole all the good ones, including the honorary democrats ;)

neuquenguy on October 14, 2008 at 12:07 AM

NCJeff on October 14, 2008 at 12:03 AM

Interesting. Another thing you can’t find is an advert for that sick baby onesie with the Trig insult on it.

hawkdriver on October 14, 2008 at 12:10 AM

lansing quaker on October 13, 2008 at various times

What a special soul you are. You are on my short list of really meaningful commenters at HA. Stay here, I beseech you, and help us build bridges.

RushBaby on October 14, 2008 at 12:12 AM

Inhofe has to be on the list. And McCotter.

RushBaby on October 14, 2008 at 12:14 AM

NCJeff on October 14, 2008 at 12:03 AM

hawkdriver on October 14, 2008 at 12:10 AM

The obamabots are pretty quick. They had the picture of the T-shirt in Obama;s site but I guess they decided to clean it up. Ace at AoSHQ has a scren capture of it.

neuquenguy on October 14, 2008 at 12:15 AM

RushBaby on October 14, 2008 at 12:12 AM

I appreciate that RushBaby. Keep on keepin’ on. ;D

lansing quaker on October 14, 2008 at 12:28 AM

Gilda, calling Gilda – your photoshop services are needed, great lady.

Entelechy on October 14, 2008 at 12:31 AM

Have you heard of Any woman saying “hey, wasup c*nt”? I think not…….

R D on October 13, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Actually I have.

I even have a friend who often says, “See you next Tuesday” (aka, c, u, n.ext, t.uesday).

Esthier on October 14, 2008 at 12:37 AM

lansing quaker on October 13, 2008 at 11:50 PM

There are many of us out here that are not the way the Left has painted us. We are very thankful for those who are placing country first, and I too hope we can build some bridges on issues we can agree on. I think this unification or working together is the only positive thing I have seen coming out of this election. Hillary may not be our favorite Democrat, but she sure is going to be a factor via the PUMAS and others in possibly saving this nation from Obama.

We will fight about Hillary after this election. LOL!

freeus on October 14, 2008 at 12:39 AM

Actually I have.

Esthier on October 14, 2008 at 12:37 AM

Must be getting late….

Roger Waters on October 14, 2008 at 12:39 AM

We will fight about Hillary after this election. LOL!

freeus on October 14, 2008 at 12:39 AM

Homegirl, don’t you try and take a swipe at my Hillary! LOL!

I love me some Palin, but I love my Hillary first and foremost. Don’t be hatin’. I am with you against Obama, but hatin on Hill at this point is counter-productive.

Heck, if Palin herself can give Hillary and Ferraro props…

lansing quaker on October 14, 2008 at 12:43 AM

lansing quaker,

Do you wear green “so you can hide” or blue cuz that’s what you’ll be come bowl season?

As for Hill, I lived through the Bill and Hillary show for too many years of my life and can I tell you some stories. Btw, when is Bill gonna come right out and say that he’s gonna vote for McCain?

Gohawgs on October 14, 2008 at 12:52 AM

If you think the shirts are as bad as it gets, think again. – Allahpundit

That was repulsive………….. OK, I got one for everyone, how about a shirt that says…….

“Damn, Niger, you got my twenty votes, how about the check and the white woman I was promised?”

………… of course there would be a big picture of Barry O, smiling away.

Seven Percent Solution on October 14, 2008 at 12:52 AM

The same girl in the photo had her pic on the Obama site.

artchick on October 14, 2008 at 1:06 AM

lansing quaker,

Gohawgs on October 14, 2008 at 12:52 AM

I wear blue, loudly and proudly. My Sarah Palin shirt looks just like the Hillary shirts but instead says “Sarah Palin for Vice President” instead of “Hillary for President“.

I got it in navy to emphasize my PUMA vote. And it’s a cool shirt. But I’ve been called “racist!” just for wearing it no less than 15 times.

But I will keep on wearing my Democratic blue.

lansing quaker on October 14, 2008 at 1:10 AM

Those broad terms

SEXIST!

;-)

baldilocks on October 14, 2008 at 1:13 AM

I thought maybe you’d switch to green considering TOLEDO just left ‘the big house’ with a win…

Don’t let those that call names instead of speaking to the issue think that they matter, there’s a reason why most of us stop yelling “oh yeah” by the time we reach puberty…

Gohawgs on October 14, 2008 at 1:17 AM

I suspected it was only a matter of time before Trig became a target of their moral bankruptcy.

csdeven on October 14, 2008 at 1:24 AM

baldilocks on October 14, 2008 at 1:13 AM

Tammy….

Now there’s a conservative I can get behind…

No, seriously.

peski on October 14, 2008 at 1:25 AM

csdeven on October 14, 2008 at 1:24 AM

I thought it only took ‘em about 30 seconds to rise up and spew forth their bile, ala Linda Blair in the Exorcist??!?!

Gohawgs on October 14, 2008 at 1:30 AM

Reason number nine million and one to vote for McCain/Palin:

The collective meltdown of the left if McCain wins will be pricelessly entertaining.

Renae on October 14, 2008 at 1:40 AM

Lib cestpool, the Nickelodeon Channel, is running their “Kids Pick the President” online election. Anyone can vote. I just voted about 50 times. Log on! Vote Often. See what it’s like to be an ACORN voter.

Incidentally, they’ve run this over the past ten years, and Gore and Kerry both won in landslides.

If anyone out there doubts that Nick is an extreme lib endoctrination source to American kids, let me spell it out! Nick pushes everything from Dora the Explorer (who teaches you have to speak Spanish to get anywhere) to South of Nowhere (which is about a 15 year old girl who discovers she is a lesbian who ends up in a sexual relationship with the “bad girl” of the school).

Since Nick is such a sewer of lib scum, I suggest all HA and MM bloggers just vote away for McCain. Not sure if it will do any good, buy what the heck.

ErinF on October 14, 2008 at 2:07 AM

Eh, let the kids vote. I’ll never forget that as a grade schooler in ’92, my Catholic school went overwhelmingly Clinton.

No need to freep it. November 4 is where the real battle lies. Get the real votes — not some “push poll.”

lansing quaker on October 14, 2008 at 2:09 AM

Reason number nine million and one to vote for McCain/Palin:

Renae on October 14, 2008 at 1:40 AM

Paradise! At least until Mac caves in to Congress the following year.

I’m dreaming of Palin sitting in the Senate Chambers presiding. Cool.

Sapwolf on October 14, 2008 at 2:28 AM

When you use a racial slur you denigrate a minority of the American population. When you denigrate women, you insult a majority of the population. I would say that makes it equally as bad, if not worse. Whether it is racism or sexism, it is still ignorance.

Hawthorne on October 14, 2008 at 2:42 AM

*insert British accent here and impersonate Christopher Hitchens*

I caunt bayleef this, u-why it’s ouhtrruayjus!!

Mcguyver on October 14, 2008 at 3:37 AM

To be honest guys, I would vote for Obama under one condition:

If he changed his plan to double the Peace Corp into a plan to double the Marine Corp.

;-)…

Then again, Obama might just reinstitute the draft to fill up his Citizen’s Army and Obama Youth programs.

BKennedy on October 14, 2008 at 3:47 AM

BKennedy on October 14, 2008 at 3:47 AM

Don’t give him any ideas, BK. Liberal indoctrination only works when it’s forced on people.

SKYFOX on October 14, 2008 at 5:57 AM

It’s funny, though…remember the photographer who portrayed a monkey defecating on McCain’s head. She must be a racist because she had a monkey in the picture. Why a monkey? hahaha

Mommypundit on October 14, 2008 at 6:06 AM

Gohawgs on October 14, 2008 at 1:30 AM

Probably so. I just had not seen it until recently.

csdeven on October 14, 2008 at 6:35 AM

I am waiting for all this crap that B.O.’s people are doing to reach the place where reaction to it all is going to be in the form of a full blown street fight, with riot police and the whole nine yards. It is now coming to that place, and the problem is I think someone is going to wind up getting seriously hurt in the process. B.O. needs to reign in his thugs and pitbulls right now.

pilamaye on October 14, 2008 at 6:55 AM

Weren’t the “Iron my shirt” shirts being displayed by Democrats as well?

MarkTheGreat on October 14, 2008 at 7:03 AM

I don’t think she’d be interested in you. She’s a lesbian, you know…

I am a Lesbian trapped in a male body.

cat-scratch on October 14, 2008 at 8:29 AM

Tired of phrases like “crossing the line” and “over the top”–it’s just plain, perfectly, horribly, unforgivably awful and why anyone would vote for Obama is completely beyond me. It’s little more than verbal abuse and should be punished as such under the law. He and his people are really rotten to the core.

jeanie on October 14, 2008 at 9:03 AM

“It’s not my fault. I can’t tell ‘em what not to say.”

Leadership…Obama-style.

whitetop on October 14, 2008 at 9:55 AM

The American left is a lower form of life.

Jaibones on October 14, 2008 at 10:55 AM

I’m not sure why slurs against women are more acceptable than slurs against racial minorities, homosexuals, or muslims, but I concede that it does seem as though the majority of Americans, even women, tend to give them more of a pass. But I certainly do not.

Having been raised by an old-fashioned dad (a product of his WWII generation) who somehow managed to raise two daughters to believe that they could do anything they set their minds on, I am not inclined to give men (or women) a “pass” on this issue as somehow being a natural result of their generation or upbringing. I cannot understand why any woman would tolerate sexism in their family, their employer, or their presidential candidate.

I’m convinced the Hillary supporters were right — Obama condones and exploits sexism to advance his career. Yet another reason to not vote for this guy.

Y-not on October 14, 2008 at 11:12 AM

The “We would plant people to set a tone” comment deserves more attention, IMHO. It’s just like LGF and Ace presuming that posters who sound like far-right extremists actually are from the political-right. It’s an assumption of fairplay that allows the opposition to have some control.

eforhan on October 14, 2008 at 12:50 PM

“Not sure I agree with her that these are quite as bad as similar t-shirts with a racial slur would be,”

Allah, I am seriously getting more and more disturbed by your commentary. I came to the Hotair family late, so I don’t know your background or anything about you, but something seems to be fundamentally wrong. Were you raised by the MSM?

ashleymatt on October 14, 2008 at 12:59 PM

ashleymatt on October 14, 2008 at 12:59 PM

I’ve only been here for a few months, so I may be wrong but based on his references to “the boss” I *think* AllahPundit works for Michelle Malkin. If so, perhaps MM’s strident refusal to invoke “identity politics” in her own life has rubbed off on AP.

I’m sure Allah doesn’t mean to give offense… perhaps this is an attempt to give conservative women their “props” by assuming that it would be somehow “liberal” of us to take offense to things like those Palin t-shirts. I dunno.

I find slurs based on gender to be every bit as offensive as slurs based on race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. I try to avoid them.

Y-not on October 14, 2008 at 2:04 PM

I have the transcript of the conversation here.

LFRGary on October 14, 2008 at 2:56 PM