Video: Palin hits Obama on abortion

posted at 1:10 pm on October 12, 2008 by Allahpundit

Four minutes from what I’ve already said is one of the most red-meat social con speeches you’ll ever read. David Brody has the full transcript, which runs considerably longer than what’s here. I assume the strategy is to try to peel away blue-collar Dems who might have misgivings about Obama’s social agenda, but in light of yesterday’s Times of London story, I wonder: Could this be a case of Palin wandering off message to try to establish her own brand as a culture warrior for the next election while she still has a national spotlight? That is to say, has the ‘Cuda gone renegade?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

God, I hope so.

lorien1973 on October 12, 2008 at 1:11 PM

but, but, all those pro-life stalwarts over at National Review say that it’s just gauche to bring up such anti-intellectual issues.

funky chicken on October 12, 2008 at 1:12 PM

That is to say, has the ‘Cuda gone renegade?

It would be worth 4 years of Obama to have her as the 2012 nominee.

It's Vintage, Duh on October 12, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Because God knows, all that matters to me is Palin’s take on Jean Paul Sartre and his lunatic girlfriend.

funky chicken on October 12, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Yep.

Those gun clinging white racist Democrats who supported Hillary.

I have a neighbor just like this.

Mcguyver on October 12, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Palin is citing well known facts about Obama here…

…Yup, she must be a racist.

(Don’t stop speaking truth to power Sarah.)

Mojave Mark on October 12, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Do you even remember McCain at Saddleback? Do you even know of McCain’s life long voting record?

Do you even understand the traditional role of a VP candidate?

Do you even understand that McCain chose Gov. Palin out of quite a crowded field of impressive VP candidates.

These are co-ordinated attacks, but you prefer to cling bitterly to your image of McCain as some kind of loser, in the hopes that the Obama meltdown of the USA will do exactly what for you?

funky chicken on October 12, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Palin hasn’t gone renegade…she’s gone Ultra-Maverick!

Jack M. on October 12, 2008 at 1:17 PM

What terrific comments about preparing her heart. Lovely woman.

Allahpundit, conspiracy theorist.

Spirit of 1776 on October 12, 2008 at 1:17 PM

“…and please let that baby keep on cryIN! we love that sound! hahaha!…”

Exhibit A of why the Heartland right LOVES her and why the Manhattan right hates her!!!!!!!!!!

battleoflepanto1571 on October 12, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Man, she hit pretty hard with that. I like how she knows the Obama quote and also that he said it right there in Johnstown.

MarkABinVA on October 12, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Yep.

Those gun clinging white racist Democrats who supported Hillary.

I have a neighbor just like this.

Mcguyver on October 12, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Heck, you have a gay liberal, Hillary-votin PUMA right here on HotAir. ;)

lansing quaker on October 12, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Don’t look now… but McCain closed the gap vs Obama by 2 in gallup….

used to be Obama +12, now it’s Obama +7, 50-43.

Rasmussen has it as Obama +6.

MACMENTUM!

battleoflepanto1571 on October 12, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Keep her in Ohio, especially the Southeastern part where she can pick off conservative Dems. She should also hit Northern Minnesota (the Iron Range/Duluth) and Wisconsin. I bet she can peel off enough dems in these areas to carry these states. ARG had Mac tied in MN. Palin would probably be very popular in Duluth.

IR-MN on October 12, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Oh man, I love this red meat!

lodge on October 12, 2008 at 1:23 PM

She’s trying to rally the base, or certain elements of it anyway, in order to minimize the rout.

paul006 on October 12, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Heck, you have a gay liberal, Hillary-votin PUMA right here on HotAir. ;)

lansing quaker on October 12, 2008 at 1:22 PM

both adults in this household in PA voted for HILLARY!, but i did it because i’m anti-obama. the other adult did it because she was pro-hillary.

and both of us will be votin’ mccain.

there are many many many “gop registered as dems” that are screwing with the poll weighting. (see tracking polls tightening this weekend)

battleoflepanto1571 on October 12, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Don’t look now… but McCain closed the gap vs Obama by 2 in gallup….

used to be Obama +12, now it’s Obama +7, 50-43.

Rasmussen has it as Obama +6.

MACMENTUM!

battleoflepanto1571 on October 12, 2008 at 1:23 PM

It’ll close. A lot of people can’t stand the crazy, hypocritical zeal of Obama partisans. I got into it with my mom last night about Palin and Obama. She’s irate that I absentee voted for her in Michigan. ;)

+1 in a swing state FTW!

lansing quaker on October 12, 2008 at 1:24 PM

“…and please let that baby keep on cryIN! we love that sound! hahaha!…”

battleoflepanto1571 on October 12, 2008 at 1:19 PM

The same people who want to ban children and babies from airplanes. They forget they once were one!

IrishEi on October 12, 2008 at 1:24 PM

God bless Sarah Palin.

I’ve attended the so called elite schools. I’ve been there and done that. And I can tell you there is nothing more horrifying than the smug self-satisfied sense of moral superiority that one finds there. Ironically, it is the most anti-intellectual environment I’ve ever encountered.

Charles Martel on October 12, 2008 at 1:26 PM

I’m disgusted that this website takes every single item about this campaign and works overtime to twist it into an attack on John McCain.

Attacking John McCain at this stage in the campaign is exactly the same thing as promoting Obama.

funky chicken on October 12, 2008 at 1:26 PM

IrishEi on October 12, 2008 at 1:24 PM

I despise children in all incarnations. Ugh. Get those crying drooling things away from me!

lansing quaker on October 12, 2008 at 1:26 PM

The Afghan war is starting to get ugly.

I look forward to the anti-war presidents anti-war supporters defending the escalation of the “good” Afghan war.

I have a sinking feeling the Afghan “good” war may end up knocking every other issue of the front pages.

mylegsareswollen on October 12, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Conservatives finally have someone who is standing up for sound conservative prinicples and you are concerned about her going off message and becoming a renegade? Oh, come on. She’s what we need. Her message is the message we need. She’s right on message. The others, who don’t have the cojones to stand up as true conservatives, are the ones who have gone off the conservative message and either need to come back to them or go on and change their party affiliation to reflect their liberal Democrat party ideology. There is no room for RINOs anymore.

Larry L. Sharp on October 12, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Let’s be real people. I love Palin as a VP pick, but to consider her the Presidential nominee in four yers is premature. The experience claims are legitimate, and there are better candidates. I would like to see Romney run again; whether or not Palin is the right pick at that time remains to be determined.

cannonball on October 12, 2008 at 1:28 PM

+1 in a swing state FTW!

lansing quaker on October 12, 2008 at 1:24 PM

i live in a very dem area, and you wouldn’t believe the word of mouth imstarting to get over ACORN! the “dallas cowboys starting lineup voting in nevada” fraud has been a repeated point the last day or so.

people dont mind terrorist financers or racist preachers or cocaine use or infanticide, but dangit don’t you mess with their holy pure unstained voting process!!!!!!

battleoflepanto1571 on October 12, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Heh. Well, considering one of the primary reasons I am so anti-Obama is because of our special brand of “electoral welfare” that happened here in Michigan, I consider the vote sacred.

ACORN should be freaking people out — far more than Ayers, IMO.

lansing quaker on October 12, 2008 at 1:29 PM

funky chicken on October 12, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Don’t worry funky chicken, if and when McCain wins you can rub AP’s false claims in his face.

terryannonline on October 12, 2008 at 1:30 PM

If they weren’t so contemptible, I would laugh at the pseudo intellectual commentators who ridicule Gov. Palin’s accent, voice pitch (despite its wonderful modulation), and syntax.

The more I hear this woman speak from her heart, the more I believe the chattering class is afraid of what will happen if she penetrates directly into the conscience of our country. What an absolute gift she can be to the political fabric–and God knows we need something to break the grip of cynicism and corruption.

horatio on October 12, 2008 at 1:31 PM

cannonball on October 12, 2008 at 1:28 PM

1. Experience? Look at Obama.
2. Better candidates (hillary). Look at Obama.
3. Romney? NO! The main won FOUR counties in a wide open cali primary in a state whose gop has a large mormon minority. ROMNEY won *0* primary states (i.e., where you can’t stuff the caucus halls) unless a family member was governor (mass, mich) or it was mormon capital (utah).

I’m sure he’s a bright guy but he was an eleectoral DISASTER….. this wasn’t huck-on-a-shoestring, romney had the backing of the gop party, the elite pundits, an entire christian denomination, and a 50-state-ground-game with $100 million spent……………..

…..and he couldn’t even beat Mike “john edwards in a beauty shop” huckabee.

PASS!!!!!!!!!!

battleoflepanto1571 on October 12, 2008 at 1:31 PM

All I wanna say is … if McCain doesn’t want to WIN this race then he shouldn’t have gotten into it in the first place. To take the primary and then hand the race over to your opponent because you don’t want to fight is, well ….. cowardly. It places your own personal “whatever” above the interest of the country.

The buzz is that he would rather “lose honorably.” Really? Well, Mitt Romney could not be reached for comment.

I hope Sarah Palin pounds Obama on as many issues as she can find from now until midnight of Nov. 3.

Rush is right. If McCain wins, he is going to have to be dragged over the finish line.

BigD on October 12, 2008 at 1:32 PM

lansing quaker on October 12, 2008 at 1:26 PM

What a disturbing statement.

IrishEi on October 12, 2008 at 1:32 PM

I tend to think that rumors of McCain/Palin tension are designed to feed the media a horserace angle. Every time there’s a story about how Palin wants to hit Obama harder over Born Alive, there’s a story about Born Alive. Every time there’s a story about how Palin wants to hit Obama harder on Ayers, there’s a story on Ayers. And so on.

omriceren on October 12, 2008 at 1:33 PM

It won’t be a rout. Word is filtering through that Obama and the dems are responsible for the crisis but McCain has to hammer that and name names at the last debate otherwise it will be McCain the coward or liar for putting things in ads he won’t say forcefully to Obama’s face. If you mean it then you should say it personally. Otherwise it will look like a cynical campaign tactic.

As for Gov Palin’s speech, she just radiates charisma, warmth and honesty/integrity. She is a superstar (more than 20K attending) when was the last time you saw Obama’s attendance figures? There’s a reason for the media’s reporting and non-reporting of those figures. Would that Palin’s ‘cancer’ metastasize throughout the electorate to put McCain in the WH.

eaglewingz08 on October 12, 2008 at 1:34 PM

funky chicken on October 12, 2008 at 1:12 PM

I disagree. Kathryn Jean Lopez seems to write on abortion a great deal. Indeed, here is her blog post at NRO yesterday (12:52 p.m.), which brought Palin’s speech to my attention.

For good measure, here’s a good 8 October 2008 NRO article by a Father Berg, discussing the paramount importance of the pro-life stance even in perilous economic times.

I’ll also add that in the spring, Jonah Goldberg excerpted a part of his most recent books, which recounts the very ugly origins of Planned Parenthood.

Off the top of my head, I can’t offer more evidence, but I think Kathryn Jean Lopez does a pretty fair job of keeping the issue near, if not on, the front burners. If it’s a matter of degree, fine. But as written, your statement is way too broad.

BuckeyeSam on October 12, 2008 at 1:34 PM

lansing quaker on October 12, 2008 at 1:26 PM

When did you get over yourself then?

Patrick S on October 12, 2008 at 1:35 PM

That is to say, has the ‘Cuda gone renegade?

If that’s true then she’s a damn brilliant speech writer.

Buy Danish on October 12, 2008 at 1:35 PM

BigD on October 12, 2008 at 1:32 PM

So drag him then. This is up to you, too, ya know.

misslizzi on October 12, 2008 at 1:35 PM

horatio on October 12, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Yes–she has a charisma and authenticity (and ideology) that have been sorely lacking.

jazz_piano on October 12, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Ooooh… Cool mental picture forming…

Saracuda, Ronin. Sword-wielder, bringer of justice, bowing to no master. Wandering the countryside striking down the establishment, humbling the haughty. Moose and “progressives” trembling…

innominatus on October 12, 2008 at 1:37 PM

That is to say, has the ‘Cuda gone renegade?

Maverick.

Sorry guys, somebody had to do it.

BKennedy on October 12, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Don’t look now… but McCain closed the gap vs Obama by 2 in gallup….

used to be Obama +12, now it’s Obama +7, 50-43.

Rasmussen has it as Obama +6.

MACMENTUM!

battleoflepanto1571 on October 12, 2008 at 1:23 PM

No, no, no. You don’t understand at all. Don’t be fooled. They close the polls as debates approach so they can show that Obama has closed the deal.

After the debates they’ll say that Obama/Biden have won every debate, 4-0 doncha know, and stretch his lead to double digits to intimidate you.

Watch and see, by Friday the MSM is going to talk non stop about how Obama sealed the election in Wednesday’s debate. I imagine by then they’ll have “polls” to confirm their lies. AND then everyone in here is going to panic and throw their hands up in the air crying, “WE’RE DOOMED”

El_Terrible on October 12, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Don’t look now… but McCain closed the gap vs Obama by 2 in gallup….

used to be Obama +12, now it’s Obama +7, 50-43.

Rasmussen has it as Obama +6.

MACMENTUM!

battleoflepanto1571 on October 12, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Indiana is a battleground state, too. It is close here.

RCP Average = McCain +3.8
Rasmussen = McCain +7
CNN/Time = McCain +5
Research 2000 = Tie
SurveyUSA = McCain +3

We went through 2 months (end of June until end of August) where Obama was ahead. It looks as if the trend shows McCain is gaining a larger lead. Hope this keeps up nationwide.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 12, 2008 at 1:39 PM

False premise.

Far from wandering off, her job is to force the discussion of who BO is at his philosophical core into the MSM.

try to establish her own brand as a culture warrior

Another false premise.

Her brand is what it is, and the McCain campaign purchased it for a reason.

Saltysam on October 12, 2008 at 1:39 PM

It seems like McCain is almost fading from reality, like a science fiction character who becomes transparent and then completely invisible.

jazz_piano on October 12, 2008 at 1:42 PM

funky chicken on October 12, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Take heart. Between the phoney McCain=Obama agents, the Eeyores, and the George Will micro-brew set the new Continental Army takes form. The next four years (win or lose) is going to shake out the tree.

Remember, elephants NEVER forget.

Limerick on October 12, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Red meat? Then make mine a triple, hold the lettuce.

Renegade? Nope… she attributed McCain right up front on this ultra-pro-life stance.

Smart move? You can never go wrong fighting for righteousness… and let the donkeys bray.

T J Green on October 12, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Questioning Obama, and bringing the truth to light is not going renegade. It isn’t politically correct, but it certainly is proper to those Americans who wish to show Obama and his false culture for what it truly is.

There is nothing wrong with emotion and there is nothing inhuman about being fired up. The human attribute of passion is something the liberals would like to neutralize by all means. Gore, Sharpton and Jackson have threatened violence in the past by their minions, but heaven help the fool that conjures up the angst of the average, law biding, working American and it’s coming to that.

Hening on October 12, 2008 at 1:46 PM

I come from a large family, only (2) of us are Conservatives. This statement above describes my entire family. I don’t have one single Democrat voting member of my family that is going to vote for Obama. Some say they are sitting this one out, most are voting for McCain/Palin.

This why I don’t believe the polls, nor do I pay any attention to those here at HA who are so damned consumed by polls. My family is not unique, quite the contrary; my family is normal middle class hard working fun loving people who have been raised in a union environment, therefore registered Democrats. However, even these union folks will put country first when it comes to a complete dangerous unknown such as Obama.

Keemo on October 12, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Palin’s just doing what woman always have to do-

“Get out of my way and let me get it done”

anniekc on October 12, 2008 at 1:47 PM

jazz_piano on October 12, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Or, The Incredible Shrinking Man

Which reminds me…where’s ManlyRash? This should have been his post.

IrishEi on October 12, 2008 at 1:47 PM

I’m not sure which I feel strongest: disgust, shock, or sadness. None bode well for you, alas. – IrishEi on October 12, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Don’t be too harsh on him, Irish. I’m an avowed hetero, married, with two beautiful, grown children who is an ardent and eloquent defender of innocent life from the moment of conception.

That said, I loathe children, positively abominate them. For this reason I cannot fathom pedophilia, as it involves actually having to spend time in the company of the little fartlings and I don’t see how the perverts can stand it. Their cliche is “Candy, little girl?” Mine is “You kids get the hell of my lawn!”

I have no doubt that the good Lord loves the little children and I would be the first to suffer them to come to HIM instead of me. I say: God bless the parents of these screaming little wretches who must suffer them through adolescence. /

ManlyRash on October 12, 2008 at 1:48 PM

You rang?

ManlyRash on October 12, 2008 at 1:49 PM

I’ve been a pro-choicer most of my life and I respect the heck out of Governor Palin’s walking the walk (how many of us us actually do this?).

To know you’re having a Down’s baby and embracing it goes against every liberal principle pounded into me for years: hey, you abort that “thing.” Isn’t that the point of amnio?.

Governor Palin’s stance has me re-thinking everything I’ve been taught about abortion.

Her statement (to Katie “Eva Braun” Kouric?), “I think America is better off with a culture of life” is simply profound. And the media laughs at her. I do not.

I have zero problem voting for a pro-life Governor Palin …. it’s the principles, stupid.

Let’s roll.

ex-Democrat on October 12, 2008 at 1:49 PM

T J Green on October 12, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Obviously related to Nathaniel Greene. Welcome aboard, sir.

Limerick on October 12, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Which reminds me…where’s ManlyRash? This should have been his post.

IrishEi on October 12, 2008 at 1:47 PM

ManlyRash on October 12, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Now that’s just scary…

IrishEi on October 12, 2008 at 1:50 PM

My wife and I have already voted. In our state you can vote early by mail if you’re over 65. McCain has our votes but if his brain dead campaign stays on their current inept course and if he continues to alienate his loyal supporters, we may be the only votes he gets. He is truly stealing defeat from the jaws of victory. We need to begin now to prepare Sarah Palin for 2012 . . . she has the intelligence, courage, stamina, and conservative value system to win.

rplat on October 12, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Now that’s just scary… – IrishEi on October 12, 2008 at 1:50 PM

I’ve been brought down low by the flu, courtesy of my beloved daughter, who I affectionately refer to as “My Little Aneurysm.”

ManlyRash on October 12, 2008 at 1:52 PM

I wonder: Could this be a case of Palin wandering off message

Only, to an atheist blogger that is for gay marriage would this be off message.

McCain is pro-life by the way.

Trying to parse this as “off message” to talk about pro-life issues instead of Bill Ayers is, well, so AllahPundit Drama Vampire.

Off topic here, but Peggy Noonan was just on CPAN (a rerun) right now, about her book.. on how we should have more grace in our political dicussion, but then she just goes right ahead and says that we should make room for animalism and rancor, etc.

She’s railing against Palin, again.

She reminds me of our host here with all the twisting of words, meanings, nuance etc.

Allah must be a son separated at birth from Noonan, possibly dropped off in Nebraska.

I’m just saying.

I’m lucky to have a TV in one piece, after that beeetch!!

Peggy Pretzel Noonan Noodle reminds me of a shape that I saw at Ripleys Believe It or Not.

Mcguyver on October 12, 2008 at 1:53 PM

That is to say, has the ‘Cuda gone renegade?

Not a renegade…a maverick…against the maverick. GOSH I love this woman.

danarchy on October 12, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Sigh……another racist speech form Palin.

/msm

It's Vintage, Duh on October 12, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Is going renegade different from going rogue (I first typed rouge)? I’m thinking of Spy Game with Robert Redford and Brad Pitt. There, Pitt went rogue and was said to have gone off the reservation. In Palin’s case, I’d argue that she actually left McCain’s aimlessly wandering range and returned to the reservation–if not to the GOP corral.

In any event, maybe the GOP has Nathan Muir (Karl Rove) scheming behind the scenes to instruct Commander Wiley (whoever that ends up being), waiting on an aircraft carrier, to execute Operation Dinner Out to rescue McCain and Palin and all of of us from an Obama administration.

Great movie line: “Confirm. Operation Dinner Out is a go!”

BuckeyeSam on October 12, 2008 at 1:55 PM

The buzz is bullsh*t, but you just can’t wait to immerse yourself in it.

As to allah’s idiotic “has she gone renegade?” question that so many of you are so excited about:

If that’s true then she’s a damn brilliant speech writer.

Buy Danish on October 12, 2008 at 1:35 PM

That would be a McCain campaign speechwriter. These people are working together toward a goal. Palin is playing the VP role beautifully.

funky chicken on October 12, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Off topic here, but Peggy Noonan was just on CPAN.. – Mcguyver on October 12, 2008 at 1:53 PM

A pompous, preening, elitist gasbag who routinely masturbates to the sound of her own voice.

ManlyRash on October 12, 2008 at 1:56 PM

danarchy on October 12, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Sigh……another racist speech form Palin.

/msm

It’s Vintage, Duh on October 12, 2008 at 1:54 PM

The pro-choice crowd stands idly by while the next generation of Black and Latino children is destroyed . . . and those of us who speak out against it are accused of being racists.

jazz_piano on October 12, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Keep attacking Obama. EVentually the world will see that the constant cries of racism are bogus.

PattyJ on October 12, 2008 at 1:57 PM

If Black evangelicals and Latino Catholics ever discover exactly what Obama, Planned Parenthood, and the Democrat Party believe and practice regarding abortion, they Dems are in trouble. Or so I hope.

jazz_piano on October 12, 2008 at 1:59 PM

ex-Democrat on October 12, 2008 at 1:49 PM

forest on October 12, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Didn’t anyone tell Palin? You never go full maverick!

Vincenzo on October 12, 2008 at 2:00 PM

jazz_piano on October 12, 2008 at 1:57 PM

PattyJ on October 12, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Two great comments.

Saltysam on October 12, 2008 at 2:00 PM

i meant to bold all fo the word “maverick,” by the way.

Vincenzo on October 12, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Obama wants fewer possible conservative voters in the next generation, so of course he supports abortion, up to the point of infanticide.

profitsbeard on October 12, 2008 at 2:01 PM

…who I affectionately refer to as “My Little Aneurysm.”

ManlyRash on October 12, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Hah! I like that. Gonna have to put it in my soon-to-be-published book of parental “euphemisms” along with my favorite: “You hit your brother again and I’m gonna rip that arm right off you and beat you with the bloody stump!”

Anyway…sorry to hear you’re sick. Get better. Quick.

IrishEi on October 12, 2008 at 2:01 PM

That is to say, has the ‘Cuda gone renegade?

Renegade??? Dude! It’s Maverick. It’s Maverick, all the way!

Put that ‘I’d put Andrew Cuomo in at the SEC’ pipe (or insert any of your other moronic mavericky ideas) and smoke it, John. It’s annoying isn’t it, when brand loyalty goes down the tube to ingratiate one’s self to a particular group or look honorably bi-partisan. That’s like one side fighting a bi-partisan war.

At least, Sarah has her priorities right and sticks to her principles, no matter the group.

Go, ‘cuda!

Dusty on October 12, 2008 at 2:02 PM

ACORN should be freaking people out — far more than Ayers, IMO.

lansing quaker on October 12, 2008 at 1:29 PM

They’re both connected. ACORN and Ayers are both about radicalism — about demanding that the gov’t give in to their demands for “social justice” as they define it (e.g., redistributing wealth from those who work for it to those who don’t, by having the gov’t do such things as forcing banks to give mortgages to people who can’t afford them and having taxpayers act as guarantor for those mortgages).

It (the radicalism) is the reason Obama was attracted to both Ayers and ACORN. They both reflect Obama’s own belief that this country is inherently “unfair” (or, in his bitter half’s words “downright mean”) and needs to be changed.

I think ACORN is freaking people out. The cable news channels have been running stories on it, and people who weren’t aware of their fraud before are very disturbed by it — and by Obama’s connection to it. I think the momentum is starting to shift away from Obama.

AZCoyote on October 12, 2008 at 2:05 PM

I have a sorta similar story, and I believe you’ve hit on why some people hate Palin so much. She’s not only a threat to their ideology, but by “walking the walk” she makes some of them feel very guilty, so they lash out. And by “some of them” I mean women who are not just pro-choice, but have actually had abortions. This may sound pretty harsh, but I think extreme PDS is a “tell” for someone who’s had an abortion(s) (with the apparent exception of Andrew Sullivan – there’s no explaining him). – forest on October 12, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Very perceptive. I agree and I’m more convinced than ever that it’s guilt, which explains why so many of them were so content with Bill Clinton – his abandoment of moral absolutes mirrored theirs. Were Jesus of Nazareth to make a surprise re-appearance in mufti, I have no doubt that this same bunch would, upon discerning the nature of his evangel, unhesitatingly cry out for his crucifixion.

In this respect, Sarah Palin as a litmus test whereby one can more easily separate sheep from goats, as it were.

ManlyRash on October 12, 2008 at 2:07 PM

This speech has to have liberals crapping their pants. I am just dumbfounded by it. Never has the message of life been presented in such a natural, beautiful, non-threatening, and authentic way, and by a person who has so obviously walked the walk and not just talked the talk. Liberals have gotten used to being able to caricature pro-life leaders as mostly male, mostly old, mostly angry, mostly vindictive people. No more. Sarah Palin represents millions of younger people born after Roe. and parents who chose life. It is the most pro-life generation ever, but it has lacked a leader. Now it has one.

I got a mailer this week from Planned Parenthood that was 10% about John McCain and 90% about Sarah Palin. These people are clearly afraid of her.

rockmom on October 12, 2008 at 2:08 PM

profitsbeard on October 12, 2008 at 2:01 PM

But conservatives do not have abortions. Liberals do.

rockmom on October 12, 2008 at 2:10 PM

funky chicken on October 12, 2008 at 1:55 PM

I think that’s probably true. Too bad McCain doesn’t avail himself of those skills. Other than the speech last week where he said he wouldn’t go to a Chicago politician for advice, I can’t think of a single stirring speech that he’s made.

He needs to stop ad-libbing and start following a script – written by someone with a clear message for the economy, and which can tie ACORN around Barry’s neck.

Buy Danish on October 12, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Video: Palin hits Obama on abortion

A white meat headline for a red meat speech.

Red Meat:

Palin hits Obama on abortionInfanticide

Saltysam on October 12, 2008 at 2:14 PM

:-|…:-(.. 4.5 on the Richter scale of seriousness.

profitsbeard on October 12, 2008 at 2:01 PM

The dirty little secret here is that abortion actually eliminates more potential liberals than conservatives from birth, (that shouldn’t be a newsflash).

And, that is why they have to register dead and non-existent people to vote, because their voter base is eroded by their own policies.

Enough said.

Mcguyver on October 12, 2008 at 2:14 PM

lansing quaker on October 12, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Funny but as the mother of three, I laughed when I read your post. Common folks children aren’t for everyone and better to know it and accept.

Cindy Munford on October 12, 2008 at 2:15 PM

rockmom on October 12, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Are you in a battleground state, rockmom? The only thing I ever get in the mail is from the RNC looking for donations. I don’t even see campaign commercials other than what I get online or the snippets on the news.

I’m in Jersey. Dems don’t need to spend any money here, and Republicans don’t want to waste theirs.

Jersey: Blue, Navy Blue.

IrishEi on October 12, 2008 at 2:16 PM

But conservatives do not have abortions. Liberals do.

rockmom on October 12, 2008 at 2:10 PM

We might be a bit surprised if we saw the numbers, but your point is valid–presumably the sort of people who abort children would raise liberal children. But if abortion were largely replaced by adoption, in 20 years there might be an army of voters who have a special hatred toward abortion.

jazz_piano on October 12, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Anyway…sorry to hear you’re sick. Get better. Quick. – IrishEi on October 12, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Thanks. They are remarkably well-adjusted kids with only two more years of therapy to go. I blame myself.

In lean years I would try to avoid the Christmas present debacle by going outside on Christmas Eve, firing a shotgun in the air, and then come inside and announce that Santa was a manic-depressive and committed suicide and there would be no presents.

Alternatively, if, while driving in the car, we spotted a dead buck on the side of the road I would patiently explain that some thoughtless trucker ran down Rudolph and, without his guidance, the other reindeer would not be able to help Santa complete his appointed rounds. Then I served venison roast on Christmas Day. They cried for a week. LOL. *sigh* Good times, good times.

My favorite prank, of course, was sneaking into one of their bedrooms at night with two flashlights. I would gently step onto the bed and stand directly over the child, both flashlights pointing downward. I would click the lights on and then scream “OH my God…it’s a truck!!!”

Like I said…just two more years of therapy and they should be fine.

ManlyRash on October 12, 2008 at 2:17 PM

ManlyRash on October 12, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Feel better soon! Consider this little bout a addition to your immune system.

Cindy Munford on October 12, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Yep.

Those gun clinging white racist Democrats who supported Hillary.

I have a neighbor just like this.

Mcguyver on October 12, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Heck, you have a gay liberal, Hillary-votin PUMA right here on HotAir. ;)

lansing quaker on October 12, 2008 at 1:22 PM

I know…..your moniker kinda gives you away! :)

(Just having a little fun with you…)

Mcguyver on October 12, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Jersey: Blue, Navy Blue irretrievably, irredeemably stupid.

Fixed it, Irish.

ManlyRash on October 12, 2008 at 2:19 PM

ManlyRash on October 12, 2008 at 2:17 PM

You’re truly gifted.

Thanks for the laughs.

Saltysam on October 12, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Hening on October 12, 2008 at 1:46 PM

I think you’re right. There’s a lot of anger out here in fly-over country. It still lacks a clear focal point (other than “the government”), but Obama and McCain are both afraid of it — for different reasons. Gov. Palin understands it, and may be able to use it.

AZCoyote on October 12, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Renegade is a pretty mavericky thing to do.

raiderdav on October 12, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Mcguyver on October 12, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Yepper. That’s the Freedom to Breed from “The Tragedy of the Commons.” Guess the libs missed that class.

IrishEi on October 12, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Feel better soon! Consider this little bout a addition to your immune system. – Cindy Munford on October 12, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Frankly, Miss Cindy, I am at a loss to understand how this could have happened. You see, I have been diagnoses as a terminal curmudgeon, and my blood is so replete with misanthropic bile that it has been classified mortally pathogenic by the CDC. I was under the impression that no existing strain of virus or bacteria could long survive in my system. Imagine my surprise.

ManlyRash on October 12, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Thanks for the laughs. – Saltysam on October 12, 2008 at 2:19 PM

It’s what I live for.

ManlyRash on October 12, 2008 at 2:27 PM

ManlyRash on October 12, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Holy crap! I think we were separated at birth!

IrishEi on October 12, 2008 at 2:29 PM

Holy crap! I think we were separated at birth! – IrishEi on October 12, 2008 at 2:29 PM

We were. Somehow, you survived. :-)

ManlyRash on October 12, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Buy Danish on October 12, 2008 at 2:13 PM

I agree with that. And they definitely need to stop handing off the microphone to unscreened people at these campaign rallies. It’s not all that difficult to have lots of people submit questions, and then have the aides go through to select the best ones while McCain and/or Palin deliver their prepared remarks (ie, professionally written speeches).

funky chicken on October 12, 2008 at 2:32 PM

ManlyRash on October 12, 2008 at 2:26 PM

I had noticed that you had been unusually pessimistic lately but seemed to have been bouncing back in fine fettle. Not back to captain of the cheer leading squad but at least not the voice of doom. Unfortunately terminal curmudgeon doesn’t exempt you from ANYTHING available within the school system. Except maybe a rational meeting with a teacher.

Cindy Munford on October 12, 2008 at 2:33 PM

ManlyRash, you are a genius, both comic and otherwise.

Since you’re in NJ, home of pharmaceutical companies and deranged liberals…

When Obama wins, how about popping over to Merck once human cloning is legalized?

The joke will be on the libtards and the world benefit from more than one of you.

Damiano on October 12, 2008 at 2:34 PM