Video: Spielberg and Lucas rape Indiana Jones

posted at 6:00 pm on October 10, 2008 by Allahpundit

Are people seriously upset about this, or is this like that Mr. T ad where everyone laughs except two people and that’s enough for Controversy? How much more conceptual distance can there be between this and reality? (1) It’s a cartoon; (2) it’s a metaphor; (3) it’s a satire of other famous movie rape scenes as much as anything else; (4) it’s Indiana Jones.

Here’s the background on the episode. George Carlin used to have a line in his act about how he could make anything funny, even rape. His proof: “Imagine Elmer Fudd raping Porky Pig.” Close enough.

Update (Ed): I’m a big fan of South Park, but even the best satirists have their off days, and I think this was one of them.  It’s nowhere near as bad as their “A Million Little Fibers” episode, also known as the Oprah episode, but this was beyond the taste threshold.  The subplot, where Butters and Cartman pretend to be Chinese, was somewhat funnier.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I can’t wait for the South Park episode when Obama sucks Cartmans’ b*lls.

Coronagold on October 10, 2008 at 8:21 PM

Will Cartman wear a KKKSA costume?
Will there be less of a vinegar taste?

Hening on October 10, 2008 at 8:24 PM

It’s things like this that led to my decision to stop watching television – toxic mind pollution.

(Though I *will* watch the occasional prez debate, Palin appearance, or Phillies Playoff game – yes! Game 2, 8 – 5, or perhaps a Hannity Rantfest!)

gxpgxp on October 10, 2008 at 8:35 PM

No, they raped Indiana Jones. Lucas/Spielberg deserve it. It’s not as funny because honestly, it’s true.

BKennedy on October 10, 2008 at 8:47 PM

How could you leave out a link to the sickest part of all? The Jodie Foster rape scene where they do Indy on the Howard the Duck Pinball Machine?? Plus the raping of the Stormtrooper was pretty appropriate too as the new Clone Wars cartoon seems like a blind rape of an otherwise great legacy.

Joey1974 on October 10, 2008 at 9:00 PM

Just looking at the picture creeps me out. I guess if you watch the clip though you may then claim to be as sophisticated as AP.

Vince on October 10, 2008 at 9:06 PM

tripe….

jerrytbg on October 10, 2008 at 9:18 PM

I found it funny. Matt & Trey are no fans of what Spielberg and Lucas have done to their movies (Han shot first, and in ET the federales had shotguns)

I didn’t see the new Indy movie, but apparently Matt & Trey didn’t like it. It is a rough episode, but I thought it was a good way to get their opinion across. And the Butters/Cartman subplot was a hoot.
G_ddammit Butters, quit shooting guys in the d_ck! It’s so uncool.

rbj on October 10, 2008 at 9:19 PM

I loved “A Million Little Fibers,” so I’m sure I’ll love this one.

And speaking of Butters, I loved “Butter’s Very Own Episode.” And “Raisins.”

Matt and Trey probably HATE all this controversy.

misterpeasea on October 10, 2008 at 9:30 PM

Michelle – we’ve written you about this before – WHEN are you going to get this JACKASS OFF your site?

This idiot “Allahpundit” – doesn’t deserve to be given ANY kind of platform to spread his hatred.

grtflmark on October 10, 2008 at 9:56 PM

ronsfi on October 10, 2008 at 10:01 PM

…making fun of Jesus Christ is acceptable but making fun of Hollywood directors is offensive.

madmonkphotog on October 10, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Good point. I say people in the civilized world either make everything fair game or completely outlaw all forms of satire right now.

ScottMcC on October 10, 2008 at 10:18 PM

AP, did you open registration again and I missed it?

JACKASS! xD

jaime on October 10, 2008 at 10:25 PM

grtflmark on October 10, 2008 at 9:56 PM

“Michelle – we’ve written you about this before”
“JACKASS”, “idiot”,…blahblahblahblah…blah!

No really! You have “written you about this before”???

New York, March 8, 1971 – The night of the fight, a frenzy could be felt in Madison Square Garden. Everybody understood the stake of that confrontation. The crowd which was filling the Garden to full capacity was excited. The 700 journalists, who could obtain their accreditation for the fight, were also agitated….

ronsfi on October 10, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Needs more Jar Jar Binks..

Blatz on October 10, 2008 at 10:34 PM

In the 1st round, we could see that Ali had lost his touch. His hands were less incisive and his footwork did not follow the rhythm. He decided to face the champion up front. At this game, “Smoking Joe” was brutal. With his habitual will and desire to win, Frazier continually rushed Ali and bludgeoned him with his favorite hit, the left hook.

ronsfi on October 10, 2008 at 10:38 PM

Ali had to rely on his speed and agility to avoid the brutal attacks of this hard hitter, but more often than not his defense flinched. Sometimes, Ali thwarted Frazier’s assaults by letting fly jabs to the face. Then for many rounds, the boxers traded heavy blows. The rhythm of the fight was unbridled.

ronsfi on October 10, 2008 at 10:44 PM

It was too true to be funny. Personally, I like the Tom Cruise and Michael Jackson episodes best.

Laura in Maryland on October 10, 2008 at 11:10 PM

ronsfi on October 10, 2008 at 11:45 PM

Outright garbage! There is no humor in this! Light the torches!!! /sarc

No really, I actually watched the episode and it was pretty funny. Not one of their best but I got a few chuckles out of it.

thecountofincognito on October 11, 2008 at 12:11 AM

Gotta say I disagree, Ed.

The first nine minutes were the best, before the joke got repetitive, but still. I busted a gut when they revealed that Kyle’s “My friend got raped…” was about Indy 4.

Why anyone out there manages to be outraged over South Park anymore is beyond me. I’m pretty sure we should know what’s coming at this point from Matt and Trey.

There’s a presidential candidate conducting a systematic operation to steal the election and defraud the entire process…. and people are upset about South Park.

Only in America.

Hawkins1701 on October 11, 2008 at 12:12 AM

Laura in Maryland on October 10, 2008 at 11:10 PM

The Barbara Streisand, Rob Reiner, Robert Redford, and Al Gore lampoons they’ve done have also been entertaining. At least these guys go after everyone and not just pick a political view to criticise.

BryanS on October 11, 2008 at 12:14 AM

grtflmark on October 10, 2008 at 9:56 PM

lol

baldilocks on October 11, 2008 at 12:50 AM

Not laughing at you, AP (just clarifying).

baldilocks on October 11, 2008 at 12:53 AM

Here’s the plan.

Let’s put McCain and AP in a boat.

And sink it.

thareb on October 11, 2008 at 12:58 AM

Whole lotta people needin’ to grow some. This episode was great. No memorable scenes? How about Lucas’ face turning red. That is already haunting me, and making me laugh more. Come on, it’s SOUTH PARK. If you don’t know what you’re getting into, it’s your own fault.

JimRich on October 11, 2008 at 1:16 AM

So there’s absolutely nothing else on the news tonight is there?

I don’t disagree with Allah or Ed often, but it does happen. This is one of those rare moments.

(1) It’s a cartoon;

Which means that children will find it especially appealing. You might change your tune if you found your four year old spouting off that word that they dedicated an entire episode to parading around.

(2) it’s a metaphor;

So if you have a wife, would it be ok for me to film a skit depicting someone raping her as a metaphor for the Obama Tax plan?

(3) it’s a satire of other famous movie rape scenes as much as anything else;

There’s nothing glamorous or famous about rape. Just like it sickens me to see some jackass cheer at some guy getting his head blown off in a movie. It’s all cute and funny until it’s your best friend getting his head blown off and his damn blood splattering all over your face and a tiny piece of his skull flies into your mouth.

I hardly doubt that anyone that’s been raped thinks that this is funny in the slightest.

(4) it’s Indiana Jones.

So? Is that supposed to be a justification?

Allah, you and Ed run this site, and what you choose to say is your business, but both of you are far better than this.

leetpriest on October 11, 2008 at 1:28 AM

I agree with Ed here. I saw the episode, and I could hardly watch it. It was just that the whole episode was about kids mourning that a friend was ‘raped’ and they didn’t do anything to help.

It wasn’t the actual visual, but the concept. It wasn’t a funny concept. Seeing kids talk about rape has a creepy feel toward it. It just wasn’t funny, and was mostly un-necessary.

I’m not for censorship, but if this is entertainment, there is a recession in more than just the stock market. . . look to the entertainment industry for the next bankruptcy.

ThackerAgency on October 11, 2008 at 1:30 AM

I just reread my post, and I didn’t clarify too well. Ed that wasn’t aimed at you, not quite sure why I tied your name into that.

It’s late.

leetpriest on October 11, 2008 at 1:33 AM

Joey1974 on October 10, 2008 at 9:00 PM

Otherwise great legacy? Are you forgetting the violent, traumatizing assualts that were episodes I,II, and III?

RINO in Name Only on October 11, 2008 at 2:26 AM

Not funny from someone who knows what it’s really like. NEVER humorous! Call me a pansy all you want, but it’s just not funny.

MsUnderestimated on October 11, 2008 at 3:02 AM

Crass and crude. It’s like Pulp Fiction: I appreciated it and hated it.

While I work I listen to one of those oldie stations.
The old songs that are good are really good.
The songs that are bad are really bad.
And often the good and the bad are hopelessly naive and innocent.
I wonder about a world where those songs could actually be hits.
I feel wistful for a world that I can barely remember from my childhood.

silverfox on October 11, 2008 at 4:02 AM

Last time I checked, there was a blog called captains quarters that was in need of a blogger.

jes sayin’

platypus on October 11, 2008 at 6:40 AM

I wrote a comment but don’t know if it was post essentially asking how making fun of Jesus Christ is acceptable but making fun of Hollywood directors is offensive.

What a world the secularists have created.

madmonkphotog on October 10, 2008 at 7:35 PM

The mocking of real or fictional characters both secular and religious should always be permitted. Neither J.C, nor Muhammad ibn Abdullah should be exceptions.

Annar on October 11, 2008 at 7:06 AM

Some of these comments are rather interesting. The logic goes that when something is gruesome or uncomfortable than we shouldn’t ever have humor with such things in them? People are raped in real life and it’s horrible, so making jokes involving rape is always wrong?

I’ve had people die of cancer in my family, and I have family friends who are currently dealing with painful, drawn-out forms of cancer, but that doesn’t mean that I can’t laugh at cartoon that uses cancer as a metaphor.

Do I think South Parks goes a little too far from time to time? Yes. But seriously: It’s been around for a decade now (at least). You know what it’s all about, so why watch it if you know ahead of time it’s going to anger you?

And yes, George Lucas is a bastard.

watchmen on October 11, 2008 at 9:28 AM

The metaphor is a bit crude but they make a good point. Wonder if they’ll use this type of thing to illustrate to the American People what Congress is doing to them with the bailout.

If you’re still offended by South Park after all these years, you really do need a better hobby. I’m offended that Charlie Sheen is paid to do that crap sitcom he’s in; it doesn’t help. So, I just don’t watch it.

austinnelly on October 11, 2008 at 10:14 AM

It is one thing to push the envelope. It is also one thing to have freedom of speech and use literary forms and figures to illustrate a point, creatively. There is another thing entirely for a SOCIETY to disintegrate to such a point when humor like this is condoned. I should not expect for you all, albeit conservatives, to get this but it is a matter of RECORD that when societies approve heartily of such base “satire” or whatever you want to prop it up as, you are already gone.

Read Romans 1.

On a personal note, since your avid defense of a CARTOON has made you blind to appeals of victims here, let me phrase this another way.

MY FOUR YEAR OLD BOY WILL NOT KNOW HIS BIOLOGICAL DAD BECAUSE HE RAPED HIS MOMMY AND I CONCEIVED HIM. Rape isn’t a joke. it is not cute. it isn’t even worthy hyperbole. it is a reality that SOME OF US deal with daily.

my son will seal with this. Have some RESPECT, children.

Mommypundit on October 11, 2008 at 10:46 AM

will “deal” with this. Typo.

Mommypundit on October 11, 2008 at 10:49 AM

Aren’t the creators of South Park… Canadian?

No. Parker is from Colorado. He went to Columbine High School I think. Stone is from Houston, Texas.

aengus on October 11, 2008 at 11:07 AM

grtflmark on October 10, 2008 at 9:56 PM
I agree. This is juvenile garbage. It’s not why I visit Hot Air.

apoole on October 11, 2008 at 11:33 AM

I agree. This is juvenile garbage. It’s not why I visit Hot Air.

apoole on October 11, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Must be for the humping robots then.

Here’s a suggestion. DON’T VISIT! Or better yet. Start your own super mega awesome blog.

ronsfi on October 11, 2008 at 11:47 AM

grtflmark on October 10, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Exactly what hatred is being spread here? He’s posting about a standard cable television show. The only thing that might be called “hatred” are his political posts, and those would only be considered “hatred” by leftist trolls from places like Kos and DU.

So what’s your beef? Quit trying to silence others just because you don’t like what they have to say.

MadisonConservative on October 11, 2008 at 11:49 AM

I think they were very subtly spoofing Geeks who use over the top/dramatic phrases to voice their displeasure. Look at the ain’t it cool website (popular media reviews). They talk the same way.

Their obvious points stand though. One, Indiana Jones and the KOTC was horrible and Lucas/Spielberg should be ashamed. And two, it is never cool to shoot a guy in the crotch.

Chubbs65 on October 11, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Ever read Jonathan Swift’s A Modest Proposal? Cannibalism? Infanticide? And that was the 1700′s! While I’m not sure Trey and Matt should be compared to Swift, it’s safe to say that hard-nosed satire has existed long before society “disintegrated” into what it is today. You just didn’t have 24 hour cable news back then to show us how ridiculous we all are.

On another note, Team America: World Police is severely underrated.

watchmen on October 11, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Ever read Jonathan Swift’s A Modest Proposal? Cannibalism? Infanticide? And that was the 1700’s! While I’m not sure Trey and Matt should be compared to Swift, it’s safe to say that hard-nosed satire has existed long before society “disintegrated” into what it is today. You just didn’t have 24 hour cable news back then to show us how ridiculous we all are.

On another note, Team America: World Police is severely underrated.

watchmen on October 11, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Very astute on both points. I would expect nothing less from someone who names themselves after a fantastic graphic novel.

MadisonConservative on October 11, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Very astute on both points. I would expect nothing less from someone who names themselves after a fantastic graphic novel–MadisonConservative.

Ha! I’m sure in the future I’ll make a point that someone will dismiss because of my screen name. When the movie hits we can both take comfort in the fact that we knew about it long before it was popular. I’m sure some of the political elements of the film will get a post or two on this website…

watchmen on October 11, 2008 at 1:39 PM

RINO in Name Only on October 11, 2008 at 2:26 AM

Honestly, youv’e got me on part 1. Part 2 is acceptable as a film but Part 3 might well be the best of the whole 6!!! It is definetely better to me than “The Empire Strikes Back” and before you ask I was old enough to see “Empire” and “Return” in the Theatre. B.T.W. Allah does a great job, the only thing he is hateful against is Tom Tancredo and Pat Buchannan.

Joey1974 on October 11, 2008 at 1:46 PM

The first clip was awesome but the second one was disturbing

Baphomet on October 11, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Ed.. are you kidding? A Million Little Fibers was a great episode..

“Mingy.. are we in Paris?”
“Yes, Gary, look, the Eiffel Tower”

DaveC on October 11, 2008 at 3:25 PM

watchmen on October 11, 2008 at 1:39 PM

I’m so looking forward to that..

I need to pick up the graphic novel first..

DaveC on October 11, 2008 at 4:12 PM