Troopergate probe: Palin abused power but had the right to fire Monegan

posted at 9:55 pm on October 10, 2008 by Allahpundit

Look at it this way: If the race was close right now, this would be a killer. As it is, it’s just one more shovel blow to the back of the skull.

Feel better?

Finding Number One

For the reasons explained in section IV of this report, I find that Governor Sarah Palin abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act. Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) provides

Finding Number Two

I find that, although Walt Monegan’s refusal to fire Trooper Michael Wooten was not the sole reason he was fired by Governor Sarah Palin, it was likely a contributing factor to his termination as Commissioner of Public Safety. In spite of that, Governor Palin’s firing of Commissioner Monegan was a proper and lawful exercise of her constitutional and statutory authority to hire and fire executive branch department heads.

Team Maverick’s statement:

Today’s report shows that the Governor acted within her proper and lawful authority in the reassignment of Walt Monegan. The report also illustrates what we’ve known all along: this was a partisan led inquiry run by Obama supporters and the Palins were completely justified in their concern regarding Trooper Wooten given his violent and rogue behavior. Lacking evidence to support the original Monegan allegation, the Legislative Council seriously overreached, making a tortured argument to find fault without basis in law or fact. The Governor is looking forward to cooperating with the Personnel Board and continuing her conversation with the American people regarding the important issues facing the country.

Here’s the PDF of the report. Don’t be daunted by the size; the crux of it’s only six pages long, spanning pp. 65-71. In a nutshell, she had legitimate and illegitimate reasons to fire him. The former means the termination itself was lawful, the latter means her compliance with the ethics statute wasn’t.

Political fallout? The base won’t care and left hates her already, so we’ll probably see a few more independents peel away and that’s it. This does give The One a handy reply, though, the next time she questions his character on the stump, and needless to say McCain’s rhetoric about cleaning up government will be highly nuanced indeed from now on. Should make for an entertaining topic during the next GOP primaries, too. For once, Hewitt’s immortal, much-mocked line from last winter is right on target. You know who really benefits from this? Mitt Romney.

Exit quotation: “Legislators, journalists and others were greeted at the elevator outside the meeting room by a group of McCain-Palin campaign volunteers who were dressed as clowns and who said, ‘Welcome to the kangaroo court.'”

Comments

pardon my Dell keyboard errors, its not me.

johnnyU on October 11, 2008 at 8:45 AM

And moonbats are overrunning all the MSM comments’ sections. Sounds like A. Winner.

andycanuck on October 11, 2008 at 8:52 AM

I loved the AOL headline, it said that Palin acted unlawfully. In fact the report found that she acted in a lawful manner, the question was one of ethics.

I hope she makes a spirited defense of herself in all this. I am sure that both she and McCain knew this was a possibility, and consider the way the press treats Republicans I am sure they both knew how the media would spin it. But at the same time, this is not a brand new issue, the whole thing about Palin and Wooten and Monegan has been around for awhile.

Terrye on October 11, 2008 at 9:07 AM

I don’t understand why, if Wooten had tasered a 10 year old he wasn’t in prison in the first place? That’s sounds like a very serious assault on a child.

DarkCurrent on October 11, 2008 at 9:10 AM

This is just the report, from a political hack under the wing of an avowed Obama suporter who promised n October surprise. This report has not been reviewed or voted on by the Alaska legislature, and his “facts” are his interpretation as to Governor Palin’s thought processes. What a waste of taxpayer money. The Governor did no wrong, and is being pilloried for doing nothing wrong. What were she and her family supposed to do about that wack job Wooten, who was a real physical threat to thier entire family BEFORE she was even a candidate for Governor? What were they supposed to do- allow him to harm them physically?

trainwife1962 on October 11, 2008 at 10:49 AM

I just got off the phone with parents out in Ca., both of whom are life long (JFK) Democrats. My parents just lost 200K of their retirement funds, and they are pissed beyond anything I’ve seen since the night I got caught sneaking back into the house at 4:00 in the morning back in 68.

My parents are just like the rest of us; they could care less about Sarah Palin busting some evil POS balls for being an asshole. My parents care about the corruption and pure evil doings of our government, the raw greed on wall street and with-in our corporations. My parents named names this morning and they were all Democrats. My parents are pissed off, and not at Sarah Palin’s desire to rid Alaska of a guy who tazored a little kid. My parents are disgusted by our government, and are very scared of the future of our country under Obama or McCain.

Life long Democrats I’m talking about here Allah.

Message to McCain/Palin:

If my life long Democrat parents can name names and get it right, then why can’t you?

Keemo on October 11, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Question to AP ?

Why is this (Below) not a killer ? ? ? ? ?
———————————————-

Do you know the difference between Bill Ayers and Timothy McVeigh ?

Ayers beat the rap, Became a teacher and has an alliance running for President. Barrack Hussein Obama

Scary Halloween ! ! Boo ! !

Texyank on October 11, 2008 at 11:00 AM

SEAN HANNITY, OF HANNITY & COLMES ~ FOX NEWS,

IS GOING TO AIR A VERY IMPORTANT DOCUMENTARY ABOUT BARACK OBAMA, SUNDAY NIGHT AT 9:00 PM.

HE STATED ON THE AIR THIS EVENING THAT NO ONE IN THE NEWS MEDIA WAS WILLING TO DO THIS.

HANNITY IS GOING BACK TO OBAMA’S EARLIER DAYS, SHOWING EVEN THEN HIS TIES TO RADICAL PROFESSORS, FRIENDS, SPIRITUAL ADVISERS, Etc.,

HE STATED THIS EVENING THAT HE WILL SHOW IN DETAIL HIS TIES TO REV. WRIGHT FOR 20+ YRS (which we all know) HOW HE WAS PARTICIPATING WITH THIS MAN, AND NOT FOR THE REASONS HE STATES!

HE HAS UNCOVERED MORE OF OBAMA’S RADICAL LEADERS AND WE WILL SEE THINGS THAT NO ONE IN THE MEDIA IS WILLING TO PUT OUT THERE.

THIS WILL BE A NIGHT THAT YOU WILL KNOW MORE ABOUT OBAMA THAN EVER BEFORE.

HANNITY IS VERY PASSIONATE ABOUT THIS PROGRAM AND ASKED THAT EVERYONE PLEASE, PLEASE WATCH~~

SUNDAY NIGHT, 9 PM.

Keemo on October 11, 2008 at 11:02 AM

This “court” is nothing compared to what we’ll get under Emperor Obama. If 51 million of us elect this pharisee then we deserve what we get.

Look for a lean and mean Republican challenge in 2010 and, of course, 2012. The country clubs and neocons are out. The Reagan Republicans will be in. It’s time to trim the fat from the party that has grown on it since 88. Let’s recreate 88!

Mojave Mark on October 11, 2008 at 11:13 AM

Total crap.

… benefit a personal or financial interest…

Read the definitions of benefit, gain, etc. on pages 49 and 50 and you’ll see the statute involves direct financial benefit (financial interest) or indirect financial benefit (personal interest). The statute isn’t even attempting to address esoteric issues like using one’s office to promote one’s personal safety (along with public safety).

Read the opening pages of Chapter 39.52. ALASKA EXECUTIVE BRANCH ETHICS ACT and you’ll see the entire focus of the Act is to prevent unethical behavior resulting in some sort of financial gain.

T J Green on October 11, 2008 at 11:19 AM

So, let me get this strait. If if might have a selfish reason for firing someone, you can’t fire them no mater how many legitimate reasons you have?
Good grief.

Count to 10 on October 11, 2008 at 11:23 AM

DarkCurrent on October 11, 2008 at 9:10 AM

I read somewhere that the 10 year old actually requested it, to see what it was like. I have no idea if that was true.
It would still be pour judgment, either way.

Count to 10 on October 11, 2008 at 11:27 AM

I hope she makes a spirited defense of herself in all this.

Terrye on October 11, 2008 at 9:07 AM

I think it’s laughably easy to do, actually. I think the only evidence you need is the fact that this Monegan idiot was guilty of gross insubordination. He refused to go along with Palin’s budget cutting measures.

“With so much opportunity in Alaska , let’s look at challenges like we do in our own families: save money, spend wisely, and we will secure our tomorrow.” – Governor Sarah Palin, January 15, 2008

Today, evidence was revealed that clearly demonstrates Governor Palin’s decision to replace the Department of Public Safety (DPS) Commissioner Walter Monegan was based entirely on his repeated refusal to execute her administration’s policy on fiscal and budget matters.

After months of swirling rumors and partisan politics, this evidence confirms what the Palin Administration has stated from Day One: the decision to replace Walt Monegan had nothing to do with concerns about the continued employment of state trooper Mike Wooten.

Government emails made public today show a pattern, from late 2007 through the middle of 2008, of Mr. Monegan’s refusal to comply with Administration policy. Despite repeated calls for budget discipline in the major state agencies, Mr. Monegan continued to press his own agenda without regard for either the formal budgeting process or the Governor’s clear policy priorities. Government staffers responsible for budget issues, and who had nothing to do with Mike Wooten, prevailed upon the governor to have Monegan replaced with someone who would not undermine the Palin administration’s budget goals.

As detailed below, insubordination and disputes over budget priorities – not Michael Wooten’s continued employment – led to Walt Monegan’s dismissal.

snip…

Sensing that his actions were at odds with Administration objectives, Mr. Monegan asked Ms. Rehfeld if he or DPS was causing “concern” to members of the Governor’s office.

Rehfeld responded, “yes,” and pointedly asked: “What can we reasonably do to tackle some of these very difficult issues and still maintain the budget discipline the governor is committed to?”

Mr. Monegan instead struck out on his own. Despite the Administration’s repeated calls for budget discipline in the major state agencies, Mr. Monegan continued to press his own expansive agenda without regard for either the formal budgeting process or the Governor’s clear policy priorities. In February 2008, for example, Mr. Monegan publicly released a letter to the Governor supporting a $1.8 million increase in the state budget for the Anchorage Community Land Trust, a line item the Governor previously had vetoed – an act of public rebuke that is almost unbelievable coming from a political appointee.

funky chicken on October 11, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Keemo on October 11, 2008 at 10:55 AM

From one life long Republican to your life long Democrat parents- I heart you! Sorry to hear about their loss and I hope and pray things turn around quickly for them so perhaps they can regain what they lost. I just told my husband that the Democrats who are on our side of this have to be wondering how in the world they ever lost a race to a Republican based on how this campaign is being run!

Thanks for the reminder about Hannity!

I wonder how many people are going to take the hollering and screaming from the MSM seriously considering most people think they are biased against Sarah anyway? And leading the charge for a child abuser is not exactly sane! I mean if they keep this up it will look like the MSMLSDS are all for child abuse, death threats, drunk driving, and the killing of animals! All of which Wooten did!

To all the lawyers breaking this down for us- Thanks! Any of you up to taking a trip to Chicago? LOL!

freeus on October 11, 2008 at 11:46 AM

I read these kinds of “findings of fact” on a regular basis, and about half the time, they are just wrong. The most common shenanigans are ignoring some sections of law while referencing partial portions that seem to support the decision. Another is to extrapolate existing provisions into specific standards that don’t exist. I could provide long drawn out examples, but it would be boring. But I can say that these type of “findings” are almost always less factual than they seem to be, and are usually politically motivated.

forest on October 11, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Yeah, Resko’s singing like a canary, but Palin is the guilty one….okay whatever. Now just try to tell me that the fix isn’t in…..

Vntnrse on October 11, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Message to McCain/Palin:

Exactly. There is a paper trail even a blind man could follow. Makes me wonder if McCain is actually trying to lose the election.

Also, if some SOB would have tasered my nephew, he would have more to worry about than getting fired.

gstrickler on October 11, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Licentia meus matris ex is

trailboss on October 11, 2008 at 4:11 AM

Huh? Si linguam latinam scripsis, non vera est. laboranda est (haha). Semel verbum “matris” certe conabitur verbum “matrix”, III declensionis femininae (matrix, matricis). Verbum “licentia” I declensionis femininae est. “meus”? “meus”?? Stercum masculum fecitur!

Te amavissem si bene scripsisses.

Only picking on you a little — that Latin needed a bit of work (the others were OK). You sounded like one of those Gallic legionaries posted outside the walls.

That is my insult to you for the day.

unclesmrgol on October 11, 2008 at 12:14 PM

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

♥ ♥ AllahPundit, thy name is Drama Vampire. ♥ ♥

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Mcguyver on October 11, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Governor Palin acted with incredible restraint in the handling of Trooper Wooten.
It just wouldn’t do for me to be in charge of such things….

You don’t taze my nephews.

You don’t threaten my family.

You don’t get a free pass to behave like a complete ass, simply because you’re a cop.

On MY watch, Trooper Wooten would be counting moose droppings outside of Barrow, Alaska – and the count had better be accurate, documented, and on my desk precisely on time each day, or he’d be counting the same ones again.

uncivilized on October 11, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Jerome Corsi will be interviewed on Hannity and Colmes on Fox, Monday
night, October 13, 2008. Corsi has just returned from Kenya after being
deported by the Kenyan Government. Jerome Corsi will relate information
he obtained in Kenya including emails between Obama’s senate office
and Raila Odinga. Raila Odinga is Obama’s cousin and during Obama’s
visit to Kenya, Obama helped Odinga campaign for office as a member
of the radical, leftist ODM party. Obama received an official complaint
from the Kenyan Government.

Mr. Corsi also has a copy of a document from the ODM party that outlines
their strategy during the election. The Citizen Wells blog received a
copy of this document in August 2008 that was leaked out of Kenya. The
document was published on this blog and can be viewed here:

The ODM document is important. The strategies outlined in this document
mirror those of the Obama camp. Consider the following:

Here are the major activities connecting Obama to Raila Odinga:

Obama visited Kenya in 2006.
Obama was criticized by the Kenyan Government for meddling in the affairs of their government and campaigning for Raila Odinga.
Jerome Corsi has secured emails that reveal that the ODM strategy in the elections was shared with Obama’s senate office.
The strategies of the Obama camp and Raila Odinga’s ODM party in Kenya are strikingly similar.
The class issue – “elevate the emotions within all youth….be willing to vote for us in the protest.”
The media – “Since 2005, the Orange team has maintained intimate contacts across all media.” “victory in the media war could very well mean victory at the polls.”
Viral emails
Blogs/web forums
Corruption – “Branding the opponent as irredeemably corrupt will provide diversionary slavos” (Note diversionary tactic)
The age issue – “Our core supporters are essentially young people”
“billboards and leaflets ridiculing the old people“
“Raila with young people – the promise of a buoyant future.”
(Note “ridiculing old people” This blog wrote about this when the Obama camp ridiculed Mccain in the video about emails)
Ethnic Tensions/Violence as a last resort – “To discourage voter participation in hostile areas.” “Use ODM agents on the ground to engineer ethnic tensions in target areas.” (Note threat of race riots in this country)

Odinga, a radical Muslim was responsible for the death of 3000 tribesman already in 2008, some of whom were Christian that he burned up in a church.

gracie on October 11, 2008 at 12:23 PM

I have a very, very low tolerance for genuine abuses of power, and if Palin had committed one, I would prefer to have her off the ticket.

This is not one of those.

Forget the tazer incident. This mook threatened his ex’s father-in-law with murder if he stepped in to help his own daughter, and added that his buddies in the police department would never prosecute him for it. If I had access to the police chief, and a slug like that was working under his department, he’d never have a day go by when he didn’t wish I’d never learned his name. “Abused her power” by trying to get that slimeball fired??? I’d be disappointed if she hadn’t.

As usual, the Democrats investigate and punish virtue, while excusing genuine corruption and wholehearted falsehood among themselves. How am I supposed to consider them honorable adversaries in the political process?

philwynk on October 11, 2008 at 12:25 PM

It would still be pour judgment, either way.

Count to 10 on October 11, 2008 at 11:27 AM

Thanks Count, that’s more information than I had. Even so, if a kid asked to be shot or otherwise abused and an adult complied, would it then not be a crime?

DarkCurrent on October 11, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Dam, can’t believe I read the whole thing…

Wooten’s “testimony” was very interesting… lots and lots of leading questions, and no apparent cross… so I guess there was no one there on Palin’s behalf?

As to his “finding”. If I was Govenor, and I knew I had a slimeball on the force, I’d be ticked if I saw nothing happening on him either.

It looks like the “slap on the wrist” was just that… a slap, but then the Top Cop could hide behind “confidentiality” to not talk about why…

But its interesting that those same confidentiality laws don’t seem to cover the Gov…

Guy should not be on the Force IMO… Gov and First Dude were correct to try to get him fired…

And that this guy was then used on a Picture to PROMOTE the State Troopers, and Monegan sent it to her desk for a Gov’s signature??? Heck, I’d fire Monegan for pure stupitidy and being out of touch if he did that.

Romeo13 on October 11, 2008 at 12:45 PM

I just want to point out something I found humorous on Politico’s coverage of this. On the front page, it has in BIG HEADLINE LETTERS:

Troopergate report: Palin abused authority

And directly below that in regular font:

The report also found that Palin was within her “constitutional and statutory authority” to dismiss Monegan.

SHE ABUSED HER AUTHORITY!!1!!11!, but shhhhhh… she was within her authority.

I just found it somewhat amusing.

Abby Adams on October 11, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Palin herself refused to cooperate with the investigation because, in her estimation, it was improper; so, no, there’s no one there on Palin’s behalf. There’s a civil service investigation going on through the state’s personnel department that she claims is the legitimate investigating authority, and she’s cooperating with that investigation.

philwynk on October 11, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Palin is just too much of a liability now. Bring back Romney.

indythinker on October 11, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Her letting her husband use the Governor’s office and staff like this makes her look amateurish. This investigation, combined with her inexperience, is why I thought McCain would never pick her, and now that risk is hitting him at a vulnerable time even if she faces no penalty (which sounds like she won’t and doesn’t deserve). This will dominate the weekend’s political news until the economic news takes over again on Monday, and of course she won’t hold a press conference to answer questions about this or hit the Sunday political shows to defend herself. And, of course, all this reflects back on McCain and his judgment.

okonkolo on October 11, 2008 at 1:13 PM

philwynk on October 11, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Go look at the questions though… very leading… asking did you feel this… did you get this impression…

And at one point Wooten testifys to “hearing” about someones elses actions later. Something he was not involved with at all.

Case boils down to a crappy Trooper who was let off with a slap on the wrist, and a Govenor who KNEW he should not be a trooper….

Did Todd Palin want this guy fired? SURE, and he should have… guy should not be in a uniform if even 1/10th of the allegations are true.

But thats not the question. Question is was Monegan fired FOR THIS ONE THING? Or was he fired because he was not doing his job? And because he was not supporting the Govenor?

Romeo13 on October 11, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Palin is just too much of a liability now. Bring back Romney.

indythinker, i think not. Romney is smart and very rich but comes across like the prick he is when he speaks to the public…McCain should switch roles with Palin….he’s out of fight and fading fast…it should have been a Palin-McCain ticket all along…

gracie on October 11, 2008 at 1:18 PM

“Troopergate” doesn’t bother me at all. It just shows how Palin is willing to clean house. I love that!

Just emailed RNC to request a ticket flip to Palin/McCain. McCain simply is not willing to put up a fight. McCain will lose and drag Palin down into the stinkhole with him.

ErinF on October 11, 2008 at 1:26 PM

The ultimate October Surprise, ErinF!

gracie on October 11, 2008 at 1:29 PM

If Palin fired Monegan just to get Wooten fired, why Wooten still a state trooper?

Wouldn’t Palin have replaced Monegan with somebody who would fire Wooten immediately?

Why isn’t the McCain campaign making the above point?

dKap on October 11, 2008 at 1:54 PM

* Governor Sarah Palin abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act. Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) provides: The legislature reaffirms that each public officer holds office as a public trust, and any effort to benefit a personal or financial interest through official action is a violation of that trust.
*Although Walt Monegan’s refusal to fire Trooper Michael Wooten was not the sole reason he was fired by Governor Sarah Palin, it was likely a contributing factor to his termination as Commissioner of Public Safety. In spite of that, Governor Palin’s firing of Commissioner Monegan was a proper and lawful exercise of her constitutional and statutory authority to hire and fire executive branch department heads.

The part in bold is the finding…. the rest is a very weak attempt at payback by those trying to remove the moose antler she shoved up their ass.

CC

CapedConservative on October 11, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Te amavissem si bene scripsisses.

That is my insult to you for the day.

unclesmrgol on October 11, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Fair enough, Latin is not my strong point. Neither is French. I should sound like an Idaho Spud trying to grow in Roman soil.

veni, vidi, vomui

trailboss on October 11, 2008 at 2:16 PM

I just got back from the grocery store. You ought to see the headlines in the Seattle Times and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer today. BLARING headlines, all caps. Just ridiculous.

PALIN ABUSED POWER

MCCAIN DEFENDS OBAMA

capitalist piglet on October 11, 2008 at 2:20 PM

PALIN ABUSED POWER

MCCAIN DEFENDS OBAMA

capitalist piglet on October 11, 2008 at 2:20 PM

I “just” watched CNN do a news bit on Governor Palin. The crux of the story was decidedly, “She was guilty of power abuse.” They then turned the story to Palin talking about Ayers on the campaign trail and dismissed it as a “former” terrorist from the 60s that Obama didn’t meet until the 90s.

God, do you ever feel like there is no one to turn to besides Fox News that has anything close to what’s the truth?

1930s Germany and I’m feeling a little like the object of those guys in brown shirts ire.

If we lose, can we still win, ever again?

hawkdriver on October 11, 2008 at 2:31 PM

hawkdriver, I know what you mean. This is worse than I’ve ever seen them. They know that if they succeed this time, they’ll have a liberal congress and a liberal president, and they’ll have their fairness doctrine. It will be the end of conservative free speech, and they are salivating.

capitalist piglet on October 11, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Just read an interesting tid bit.. turns out Steve Branchflower’s wife Linda, worked for Monegan and is on the record, heaping a great deal of praise for him..

Conflict?

theblacksheepwasright on October 11, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Hump – I thunk Tropergate wuz sumpin from Arkansas. Thanky fer settin us’n strait Allapunkin.

rhodeymark on October 11, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Was the trooper wearing the bear costume when he tazed the kid? Talk about a traumatic experience. That would ruin the zoo forever.

Mr. Wednesday Night on October 11, 2008 at 3:36 PM

From the Moonbattery:

———————–
Profiles in Countermoonbattery: Alice Cooper
Despite the nasty comments from bimbos like Lindsay Lowlife and Dribble Shepherd, Sarah Palin has at least one friend in the entertainment industry. Here’s veteran rocker Alice Cooper on Saracuda:

I think she’s totally a breath of fresh air. […I]n a shooting war, I want a pit bull, not a poodle. I’m gonna go for the hawk.
This stance is characteristic. Here’s what he had to say in 2004:

When I read the list of people who are supporting Kerry, if I wasn’t already a Bush supporter, I would have immediately switched. Linda Ronstadt? Don Henley? Geez, that’s a good reason right there to vote for Bush.
Never mind the crazy antics on stage; Cooper is a daily golfer, faithful husband and father, born-again Christian, and president of a Christian nonprofit charity. It’s nice to know Ted Nugent and Gene Simmons have some nonmoonbat company.

Texyank on October 11, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Story: The Republican association with federally sponsored voter registration group “Purposely Omitting Progressives and Conservative Only Registration Network” or POPCORN drew sharp criticism from all media outlets today as state after state in the union stormed POPCORN offices and discovered literally thousands and thousands of fraudulently obtained voter registrations. Names such as Mr. Suc Mi Trunk and Renaldo DeGreat were just a few that demonstrated the asinine and sophomoric attempt that has been made in setting up the stuffing of the ballot box in the upcoming election. Here are some of the headlines.

NYT: Burnt POPCORN!! They’re up to it once again. John McSame should answer for this directly.
WAPO: POPCORN invents thousands of elephant voters. Election should not go on till this is investigated.
Newsweek: POPCORN: Is the Republican Party trying to microwave their way to The Whitehouse? McCain should suspend his campaign again and concede the election to preserve the fairness of the election system.

But No, it’s ACORN!!!
B Hussein Obama is neck deep into it.
And no one gives a flying fig about it except Fox.

hawkdriver on October 11, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Texyank on October 11, 2008 at 3:41 PM

I’d read about ACs conservatism “and love of golf” many, many years ago. More conservative entertainers who want to come out of the closet should look to guys like him and Jon Voight and Patricia Heaton and many more that survive amid their political beliefs.

hawkdriver on October 11, 2008 at 3:57 PM

And PALIN is accused of abusing her power getting rid of this dirtbag loser?

Conflict?

theblacksheepwasright on October 11, 2008 at 3:03 PM

trainwife1962 on October 11, 2008 at 5:31 PM

If we lose, can we still win, ever again?

hawkdriver on October 11, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Ask the French resistance (to extend the Nazi analogy).

Due to McCain’s sub-par campaigning, I’m now resigned to an Obama administration. McCain never got the fact that he needed to rally REPUBLICANS if he wanted to win. Palin helped but wasn’t enough since there is a trust factor when it comes to anything that comes out of McCain’s mouth. Just a year ago he was calling many of us racist for “not understanding” that his amnesty scheme with Teddy Kennedy wasn’t really an amnesty scheme. Conservatives are far more intelligent than McCain realizes.

In this campaign, the very same folks McCain thought of marginal importance when he schemed to get that amnesty bill passed are expected to go out and get excited about electing a “maverick” who recently called them racist. They are expected to beat the bushes for votes because McCain is so much better a choice than Obama. In reality, McCain has given nothing back to conservatives save naming a VP nominee who better epitomizes the party as a whole than he does. It isn’t enough.

To tie this up, I think the role for GOP during the next four years is going to be the political equivilent of the French Resistance, the Polish Home Army, the Phillipine freedom fighters or any other group willing to challenge the status quo. Republican politicians need to restore the trust and faith of their base, ignored in recent years as Republicans became less liberal Democrats. At the same time the GOP base needs to pick the fights that make the most difference and descend on Washington with full-throttled opposition.

highhopes on October 11, 2008 at 5:45 PM

highhopes on October 11, 2008 at 5:45 PM

I cringe whenever I hear Sarah say ‘Maverick’.. I know where she is coming from when she is talking..

and I have a throbbing sensation in my eye when I hear John McCain say ‘Maverick’ because I know exactly where HE is coming from with that.

DaveC on October 11, 2008 at 6:12 PM

According to a guy I know who lives in Hollis French’s district, Hollis got caught with his pants down on one occasion. Seems Hollis was telling people he “was an ex-marine”. Turns out Hollis was in ROTC and attending training on a Marine Corps base. Guess that’s more Democratic “nuance”.

GarandFan on October 11, 2008 at 6:21 PM

SO, the bottom line is that someone got fired for one reason, but there could have been other reasons unrelated to work behind it?

DUH!

I would argue that more people in America are fired for other reasons than the official reason cited. I was fired five years ago by an evil bastard that used technicalities to get rid of me. He abused his power, but Texas is a right to hire/fire state and you have no defense.

People get fired all of the time by managers that simply don’t like them and wait for a technical detail to pull the trigger.

What about Obama abusing his power with ACORN and ignoring his power during the Freddie Mac failure?

cannonball on October 11, 2008 at 6:40 PM

At one point Monegan told Sarah Palin she needed to remain at arm’s length and if anything else came up, he could talk to Todd about it. He stated for the record that after that point, he did not hear from the Governor on the matter again, and heard about new allegations from Todd.

DrSteve on October 11, 2008 at 7:14 PM

DaveC on October 11, 2008 at 6:12 PM

My reactions exactly.

highhopes on October 11, 2008 at 7:43 PM

If it was a proper, lawful exercise to do what she had been elected to do then that means the person writing the report read Sarah’s mind. The ONE is all seeing!

Herb on October 12, 2008 at 8:21 AM

To highhopes re 10/11 5:45 PM post: Do not resign yourself to an Obama campaign. That is what the media want. The problem is not a sub-par McCain campaign. This last week, McCain did come out swinging, naming names and did go on the attack as to Ayres. The problem is that the major media are in the tank for Obama and are playing Democrat games, the economy got submarined by a crisis that originated in a Democrat created cesspool of subprime mortgages but Republicans are getting blamed for it, and Democrats are talking as if they have won which the media report in agreement. It is dispiriting, but it is not electoral reality. Obama is a radical socialist too far left for what is a center-right country. The country started to swing to McCain before the financial crisis. It will again right before the election.

Phil Byler on October 12, 2008 at 8:21 AM

I hope your right Phil.

johnnyU on October 12, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Palin had the right, and sufficient motivation to fire Monegan, but since she could not forgotten her disagreements over the state trooper, this must have influenced her judgement, therefore she must have abused her power.

Does that sum up this weasly document?

MarkTheGreat on October 13, 2008 at 7:28 AM

This is premium bullshit. There were factual complaints against this abusive trooper, and the Palins have every right to be fiercely adamant about his dismissal. Being Governor does not abrogate her essential civil rights pertaining to justice.

LimeyGeek on October 13, 2008 at 11:11 AM

If you have the right to fire someone, then how is it an abuse of power to do so? Answer: it isn’t! Bill Clinton certainly didn’t think so when he fired all the AG’s and the Travel Office staff so he could put his cronies in. And the MSM didn’t think so either back then. Of course, Governor Palin is a Republican, so it’s EEEVILLLLL if she exercises her authority. The MSM is a bunch of slimey worms, but not even the good kind you can use for bait. I doubt they could even attract a carp.

SKYFOX on October 14, 2008 at 5:55 AM