Vets for Freedom grades for Reid, Biden: F

posted at 7:10 pm on October 9, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Vets for Freedom will release its grades tomorrow for the US Senate, and some members will find themselves flunking.  One source within VFF has given me a peek at the ratings for Senators from Delaware and Nevada, and I got the screen grabs for Hot Air readers:

No Hot Air reader will find this surprising.  Whatever metric VFF used to score the Senate, Reid would almost certainly fail.  The Senate Majority Leader declared defeat from the chamber’s floor.  That’s a failing event in and of itself.

Let’s take a look at Delaware.  Supposedly, Joe Biden gives Barack Obama some cover on foreign policy and military affairs.  Does the VFF agree?  Er … no:

Interesting.  Biden (and Carper, for that matter) both get the same grade as the defeatist Harry Reid.  I’d suspect from this that Barack Obama might round out a solid Democratic F for its leadership — but I don’t know that for certain.  We’ll find out tomorrow when Vets for Freedom release its full report, including the criteria it used to judge the performance of Congress.

Update: Meanwhile, Blackfive and TSO discover that another vet’s group, the IAVA, seem to be using very strange criteria for grading Congress.  The supposedly non-partisan group’s founder is working for Team Obama.  That explains why Maxine Waters gets an A, while John McCain gets a D.

Comments

they meant ” F – “

Janos Hunyadi on October 9, 2008 at 7:15 PM

*shrug* Is this news? Not really. We all know modern Democrats can’t stand the idea of American freedom. If they did, Leibs would be in their party, ACORN wouldn’t be getting cash hand over fist, etc.

But it’s nice to get confirmation, still.

Vanceone on October 9, 2008 at 7:16 PM

Is it possible to get an F minus? I think Obama should fail just for working with, associating with, and befriending the likes of Bill Ayers.

D0WNT0WN on October 9, 2008 at 7:17 PM

they meant ” F – “

Janos Hunyadi on October 9, 2008 at 7:15 PM

More like “No Credit.” If we’re grading based on whether they put out any effort to support freedom, I can’t recall them turning in any homework…I mean legislation.

darii on October 9, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Slow news day?

Wade on October 9, 2008 at 7:18 PM

In Soviet United States, Circa 2009, it will be illegal to grade your Senator’s performance. All grades will be A’s (if they are Approved(tm) Senators of course).

lorien1973 on October 9, 2008 at 7:20 PM

“F” as in “Oh……fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge.”

ManlyRash on October 9, 2008 at 7:22 PM

It’s the elephant in the Democrat’s room. They have nothing but disdain for the military.
sarahpalinrocks.us

kyslugbug on October 9, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Biden really DOES look like a Klingon!

SouthernGent on October 9, 2008 at 7:23 PM

What’s with the blurred-out “scores?”

Hannibal Smith on October 9, 2008 at 7:25 PM

While Biden and Reid were flunking, Ayers was trying to blow up the school.

whitetop on October 9, 2008 at 7:25 PM

F as in FUBAR?

Mr. Joe on October 9, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Something else of which to take note. IAVA (Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America) and Paul Reickhoff have been exposed as political hacks for Obama when they graded Biden and Obama with “B”s and gave McCain a “D” along with Duncan Hunter as well.

Go here for the details:

Greyhawk: IAVA Ranks the Senate on “Troop Support”

TSO at This Ain’t Hell: Why I am Cancelling My IAVA Membership Part I

TSO at This Ain’t Hell: A Brief Response to Paul from IAVA

Also, scroll through the recent posts at This Ain’t Hell for more details on the IAVA’s connections to the Obama campaign. Speculation is that George Soros – or one of his groups – is funding them.

Michael in MI on October 9, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Ed, I hope you will add the issue with the IAVA to this post as they put out their grades as well and have been exposed as partisan hacks with possible ties to Soros money.

Michael in MI on October 9, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Slow news day?

Wade on October 9, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Yeah, it’s not like the stockmarket plunged below 9,000 or anything.

Seriously, these grades aren’t exactly surprising. I agree with them but they aren’t the October surprise that will turn the tide on the election.

highhopes on October 9, 2008 at 7:32 PM

highhopes on October 9, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Well, considering the mass media is using the hack grades given out by the IAVA in order to call Republicans anti-troops and Democrats pro-troops, it may have an impact on ignorant voters who don’t realize that the IAVA is a group of partisan hacks working for Obama and Soros.

Also, in addition to what I posted earlier, here is TSO’s report on the IAVA Senate grades: Senate to IAVA: I Can Haz Scorecardz 2?

Michael in MI on October 9, 2008 at 7:39 PM

How did Home Depot, Kathy’s Restaurant and Joe’s Filling Station rate? They seem to be the think tanks for Biden.

Hening on October 9, 2008 at 7:40 PM

no surprise here…lol

Dritanian on October 9, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Ann Coulter slams Biden as only Ann can.

SouthernGent on October 9, 2008 at 7:42 PM

Oh, I’m going to puke. Michael Smerconish is minimizing the Ayers Obama connection. Unsurprisingly, he already made up his mind to support Obama. He’s another phony conservative who better not count on making money off republicans listening to his crappy radio program or reading his books.

Blake on October 9, 2008 at 7:43 PM

Michael in MI on October 9, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Fair enough. I’m on the Vet’s for Freedom e-mail list so maybe I just see this stuff often enough that I’m jaded on these non-story stories and don’t appreciate their effects.

highhopes on October 9, 2008 at 7:45 PM

“F” as in “Oh……fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge.”

ManlyRash on October 9, 2008

Oh Ralphie!
Watching the Red Wings and the Leafs on HNIC. Multiple political ads also for the Candaian PM election. Linking Harper to Bush, the Liberal candidate (ol’ whatizname)getting trashed for his carbon tax…idiot.
Oh Canada!

freebird on October 9, 2008 at 7:46 PM

Ann Coulter slams Biden as only Ann can.
SouthernGent on October 9, 2008 at 7:42 PM

And it’s always the same dorks who tell us not to bring up Biden’s self-agrandizing. It’s a bunch of crap.

Blake on October 9, 2008 at 7:46 PM

Bah…the Democrats like with any criticism of them or their candidate these days will just claim that the VFF are being racist.

Dreadnought223 on October 9, 2008 at 7:47 PM

Biden really DOES look like a Klingon!

SouthernGent on October 9, 2008 at 7:23 PM

Dingleberry?

grapeknutz on October 9, 2008 at 7:47 PM

SouthernGent on October 9, 2008 at 7:42 PM

Coulter: Somebody please tell me that Biden wasn’t picked for the Democrat ticket based on his knowledge of foreign policy.

LOL because I can’t think of any other reason why Biden might be a heartbeat away from the presidency occupied by a man who quotes his college transcript when it comes to his experience with foreign affairs (wish that was hyperbole).

highhopes on October 9, 2008 at 7:48 PM

Dingleberry?

grapeknutz on October 9, 2008 at 7:47 PM

Explain.

SouthernGent on October 9, 2008 at 7:49 PM

Oh Canada!

freebird on October 9, 2008 at 7:46 PM

Oh Good Lord! As if having to endure one nation’s political advertisements isn’t enough!

highhopes on October 9, 2008 at 7:50 PM

Actually,speaking as a vet, I just wish the left would take their “support” for the military and SHOVE it til they CHOKE on it.

irongrampa on October 9, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Reid get an F in “being human” category as well.

omnipotent on October 9, 2008 at 7:54 PM

F as in FUBAR?

Mr. Joe on October 9, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Are you referring to the NRA’s announcement this morning? Oh, wait — that would be FUBARR.

Terrie on October 9, 2008 at 7:56 PM

Now you are gonna make them feel bad and everyone knows that grades just separate and we need to unite now with no winners and no losers.

Unless you are talking about elections. In that case winning is everything!

Bicyea on October 9, 2008 at 8:06 PM

How about an “I” for “Imcomplete”. You can do some work and still get an F. But for doing nothing, it’s gotta be an I

Hog Wild on October 9, 2008 at 8:14 PM

The democraps have two problems here. Vets and freedom.

Mojave Mark on October 9, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Our leaders idiot politicians do not have a clue on anything. Today a classic example. They let the “No Short Sales” expire and the market tanks again. Think they could wait until it became more stable? No not these turds in DC.

Wade on October 9, 2008 at 8:56 PM

…the IAVA, seem to be using very strange criteria for grading Congress. The supposedly non-partisan group’s founder is working for Team Obama.

There are a lot of folks who’ve served in uniform. They came to the service from all over, many pre-9/11, like myself (twice) for the benefits. Some for genuinely patriotic yearnings…and some because they’d seen “Rambo” one too many times.

Some came to the service and grew up. In 16 years on active duty from Vietnam to Desert Storm, I saw a lot of these. Some grew bitter. I remember one guy, a medic, who crawled into the…er…analgesic portion of his medic bag and set up a patrol base after some of the stuff he saw.

Some changed their minds after enlisting, either right-ward or left-ward. I was a junior guy for a while on a Special Forces, the senior man of which was a classical California liberal…he even drove a SAAB. Another I went to SF school with was a former San Francisco black activist. I also remember guys who’d’ve made Goldwater flinch.

Service doesn’t dictate point of view…except that all of us who served think that the food was generally bad, that our officers were generally lost (with exceptions), and that we’d all attended the “last hard class” of whatever courses we attended. We also learned how to bitch…some of us creatively.

Still, from where I served in the military — one of the most unsympathetically right-wing organizations in the Department of Defense, would’ve given the Waffen SS cold sweats — folks were generally laissez-faire, and generally reflected the region in which they were stationed while stationed there.

This means that the blacks, if voting today, would generally vote for Obama, the rednecks for McCain, the northeastern guys whose educations made careers outside fast-food service or the military impractical would support Nader, etc.

Still, there’s a line of thinking that reflects the “divide-and-conquer”, patron/client paternalistic thinking of the Left among some veterans, and they gin-up veterans-on-the-Left organizations…just as there are police organizations that the Left can count on during gun-rights debates. They are the creatures of party.

The IAVA?

I did some looking into the group on Wikipedia (a good place to start, so long as you take what you find with a truckload of salt), suspecting (by their supposed ratings of Biden, etc.) that they were hardly the non-partisan group they might claim to be.

What I found, after a very short time, about this guy, Paul Rieckhoff, seems innocent enough. It seemed innocuous because it was obviously put onto open-source Wikipedia by the IAVA itself…neutral, not saying much, complimentary, vague. I found this about him:

He appears every Tuesday evening on The Rachel Maddow Show on Air America Radio.

…that does it for me. Zeroes him right in.

…look…the guy can think for himself, and think what he wants…he’d just be careful around me talking about being “an independent organization and is not affiliated with any groups other than our sister (c)4, IAVA Action Fund” (from their page). The old saw about “don’t p*ss down my back and tell me it’s rainin’” comes into play here.

These guys are appear to my bullsh*t detector to be yet another grievance advocacy, a safe source of friendly bullet points from the party which holds their leash.

They may do good work, and I hope they do. They may disagree with my characterization of them, and they are free to. In fact, they’re free to think as they wish, vote as they wish, move about the country at will, and even to buy me a beer whenever the mood strikes ‘em. That’s why they served. That’s why I served. I expect them to feel the same, whether they do or not.

They’d just better not expect me to take them at face value. This ain’t my first rodeo.

Puritan1648 on October 9, 2008 at 8:57 PM

How about an “I” for “Imcomplete”.

Sold!!!!!

Best grade possible for this Congress.

highhopes on October 9, 2008 at 9:28 PM

I’ve mentioned it before. If BO became Commander-in-chief, who would re-enlist yet alone enlist. Would we need a military draft?
Far fetched? Charlie Rangle (D)has already tried to reactivate the draft.
Mom, dad, students, a vote for BO may just come back to bite you in the ass.

diogenes on October 9, 2008 at 10:14 PM

Reid should get an E- per the grading system in Huxley’s Brave New World.

viking01 on October 9, 2008 at 10:47 PM

Col. Allen West made the excellent point that Obama because of his associations with Rezko, Ayers, etc., would not even pass a basic security clearance to serve in the US military, yet he supposes to be the CinC!

Be. very. afraid.

muggedbyreality on October 9, 2008 at 11:07 PM

An F? There’s nothing lower?

“Senator Reid, you have no grade point average.”

NoDonkey on October 10, 2008 at 9:56 AM

Harry Reid: epic fail!

I R A Darth Aggie on October 10, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Both these “Vets” groups use the talking points of the parties they are both fronts for. Both are propaganda organizations.

LevStrauss on October 10, 2008 at 11:05 AM