Obama TV: The One buys half an hour of airtime on CBS for Oct. 29

posted at 4:37 pm on October 9, 2008 by Allahpundit

And deals with NBC and Fox(!) are in the works. I’m surprised they didn’t simply give him the time and call it “news.” What’s a liberal media good for if not for the occasional freebie?

Today the Dish Network, tomorrow the world:

NBC is said to be very near a deal. With Fox, the matter is likely to remain uncertain as the time period could conflict with Game 6 of the World Series…

The direct purchase of such a large block of national airtime right before an election used to be more commonplace before campaigns began to focus their end game strategies exclusively on battleground states. Such a move is not without precedent in modern presidential politics, however — Ross Perot did a similar purchase in 1992.

The One has a lawyerly fondness for “closing argument” ads so expect something in that vein, likely bookended by schmaltzy long-form campaign spots. He must be raking it in if he can afford a buy like this, so if you want to equalize, you know what to do. Exit question: What, no ABC?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m going to guess Frank Keating isn’t going to be a guest on the BarryO program:

Now, the words of McCain ally FRANK KEATING, former Oklahoma governor and Special Agent for the FBI, on MSNBC today:

[About Bill Ayers] It does suggest character and judgment. When I was an FBI agent, we were HOT after Bill Ayers. This is an unrepentant terrorist who said in 2001 they didn’t blow up enough.

Remember Barack Obama is a “set piece” [FRONT-MAN?] here — not as a radical and as a terrorist, but as a member of the Illinois state senate.

In 2000, he voted against the entirety of the state budget because it had too much money for corrections. Voted against capital punishment. Voted against people being able to defend their families in their own homes by the use of a firearm. Voted for needle exchanges. Voted against making it a felony for a gang member to go back to gang activity while on probation. These are reckless, extreme, anti-law enforcement leftist positions that I think the American public needs to know about because it shows a lot about somebody’s value system and character.

I’d love to see video of that, even if it is MSNBC

funky chicken on October 9, 2008 at 4:41 PM

As I said in the last thread:

The buy will push comedy “The New Adventures of Old Christine” to 8:30 p.m. and pre-empt “Gary Unmarried.”

Hey… don’t ever say Obama didn’t do anything good for you.

Abby Adams on October 9, 2008 at 4:41 PM

I won’t be watching it. If he wants to help America he can take that money and buy some stock. Then again….

How many people really sit there and watch something like this? Other than the sheeple who are voting for him anyway.

Terrye on October 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM

If he get’s elected, we will have the mandatory Obama Channel.

carbon_footprint on October 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM

And he’s paying for it with illegal donations from Good Will and Doodads all over the world.

digitalintrigue on October 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM

I’d contribute to the DNC if he did it without a teleprompter or speech in hand.

Spirit of 1776 on October 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM

So we’re just not going to even fight back? We’re going to allow a landslide and mandate? Where is the RNC?

D0WNT0WN on October 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM

likely bookended by schmaltzy long-form campaign spots.

“This has been approved by AllahPundit of HotAir” would be a good bookend.

Mcguyver on October 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Everyone with insomnia, mark your calendars, the Super One is offering a free service to help you sleep.

Bishop on October 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Nice Firefly reference on the homepage, AllahP.

Anton on October 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

It’s just a demonstration of how much money Obama has. He’s outspending McCain 2-3:1. Guess Obama was smart, after all, in opting out of public funding.

Let’s just face facts – this election is OVER.

Outlander on October 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

I don’t care if bho buys six hours on every channel we have, I mute him everytime he comes on. I will put a dvd in and watch it. Spend your money bho.
L

letget on October 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Isn’t there some kind of rule against this? Doesn’t the FEC require McCain equal time?

BJ on October 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Dear Leader.

Pasalubong on October 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

So how will we be able to tell the difference?

AdrianG on October 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

I love the smell of propaganda in the afternoon.

Exit question: Will Obama keep the Obama Channel on Dish/others after the election?

amerpundit on October 9, 2008 at 4:44 PM

I see your 30 minute ad buy on October 29, and I call with sudden blackouts in all the swing states October 29.

Cardiganfox on October 9, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Would it not be delicious if something major happens just prior to the Obama broadcast that causes it to be pre-empted? Heh.

ManlyRash on October 9, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Or pay taxes on his campaign income.

MayBee on October 9, 2008 at 4:45 PM

BJ on October 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

I don’t think those rules apply to paid advertising.

Big S on October 9, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Gee, and McCain got accused of “stunt” campaigning.

Thanks for posting the link to donate, AP.

RushBaby on October 9, 2008 at 4:45 PM

ALL YOUR TV’S ALL BELONG TO US!!!!

Obama ’08

Agent of the Cross on October 9, 2008 at 4:46 PM

p.s. I think Rush should announce that Obama bought half an hour of his show, too, and then spend two segments talking about how much America sucks. Comedy gold, people, comedy gold.

AdrianG on October 9, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Oooh, are we going to hear “The One” wax poetic on “The One?”

Geronimo on October 9, 2008 at 4:47 PM

If he get’s elected, we will have the mandatory Obama Channel.

And nothing else

hindmost on October 9, 2008 at 4:47 PM

D0WNT0WN on October 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM

By then it probably won’t matter. Obimby will drive away more people than he attracts, considering this rant would be longer than his duller than death acceptance speech.

If you put a knife to my neck and threatened to kill me if I didn’t watch, I would happily accept the blade.

Bishop on October 9, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Watch for all the nutjobs kool-aid drinkers gather around the nation at theaters and stadiums and coliseums to watch.

The media will play it like the SECOND-COMING…

pherrman on October 9, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Hopefully he won’t have Billy Mays on there trying to sell us all on OxybamaClean.

Elizabetty on October 9, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Makes your past shiny!

Pasalubong on October 9, 2008 at 4:49 PM

That has got to be an awful lot of cash, unless he’s got the Moveon.org – NYTimes discount.

So how did he get all that money?

rbj on October 9, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Weird.

It’s one thing to tune in to watch a debate. Who’s going to tune in to watch a political Infomercial?

Perhaps there’s a clever plan, but I don’t see it.

ClintACK on October 9, 2008 at 4:50 PM

What, no ABC?

Why should Obama pay for something he already gets for free 24/7?

fogw on October 9, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Guess Obama was smart, after all, in opting out of public funding.
Let’s just face facts – this election is OVER.
Outlander on October 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Who knew he would be padding his bank account with foreign dough? Don’t answer, dumb question.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? It’s not over until we SAY it’s over!

Bishop on October 9, 2008 at 4:51 PM

made by .0000000001 sec of primetime tv buy. Please open the wallets for McCain and Palin it may be the last election where you have a voice.

In related news:

All federal funding to ACORN must be stopped. The ACORN slush fund must be disbanded. Sources of federal funding through the Department of Housing and Urban Development or any other agency must be stopped. Contracting for services between candidates for federal office and ACORN, as Senator Obama has done, must end. Now that the taxpayers own Fannie Mae, any funding from Fannie Mae’s nonprofit foundation to ACORN must stop.

“ACORN spent decades promoting the housing policies that brought America’s economy to the brink, and similarly over the years has committed fraud on our system of elections, making American voters question the fairness and accuracy of the exercise of their most fundamental right under the Constitution. Now it is time to cut off ACORN before it grows even more destructive.”

unseen on October 9, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Someone explain that campaign finance reform again, please, the part about 60 days before an election.

rockhauler on October 9, 2008 at 4:51 PM

capitalist piglet on October 9, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Everyone’s voice counts. And counts, and counts, and counts.

capitalist piglet on October 9, 2008 at 4:51 PM

How hitler~esk of the DNC!

grapeknutz on October 9, 2008 at 4:52 PM

schmaltzy

This is a technical term, AP?

xoxoxo ;)

seejanemom on October 9, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Let’s just face facts – this election is OVER.

Outlander on October 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

I will go down with this ship
I won’t put my arms up and surrender
There will be no white flag above my door

DeweyWins on October 9, 2008 at 4:53 PM

The Dear Leader is going to give a brilliant speech!

lodge on October 9, 2008 at 4:53 PM

capitalist piglet on October 9, 2008 at 4:50 PM

scary stuff

Jonah Goldbergs book had some kind of timing

jp on October 9, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Channel One.

ballz2wallz on October 9, 2008 at 4:53 PM

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. I am controlling transmission. If I wish to make it louder, I will bring up the volume. If I wish to make it softer, I will tune it to a whisper. I will control the horizontal. I will control the vertical. I can roll the image, make it flutter. I can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the 30 minutes, sit quietly and I will control all that you see and hear. I repeat, there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to… The Obama Unlimited.

MB4 on October 9, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Of course he can afford it, since McCain is being outspent 3-1 as it is and losing ground in red states all over the place, ceding MI and so forth.

This is what happens when you nominate a guy who doesn’t draw enough of a contrast b/w himself and his opponent, one who panders and follows the lib lead, one who talks about ‘reaching across the aisle’ when everyone else is fighting to win, one who doesn’t offer a positive vision for the country or have any type of coherent economic mnessage, and one who believes ‘earmark reform’ is a winning strategy when the Dow is tanking daily.

It took Carter to give us a Reagan…

changer1701 on October 9, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Let’s just face facts – this election is OVER.

Outlander on October 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Thank God you aren’t in the military. You would surrender before you even deployed.

funky chicken on October 9, 2008 at 4:54 PM

capitalist piglet on October 9, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Swastika armbands optional.

fogw on October 9, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Childrens’ parade for Obama this Sunday in Seattle.

Good Gawd, what is wrong with these people?

“Mommy, who’s this sonofabitch Obama? I’m only four, I want to go home and play with Legos.”

Bishop on October 9, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Everyone’s voice counts. And counts, and counts, and counts.

capitalist piglet on October 9, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Yes, it does, does, does,
Yes, it does, does, does,
Yes, it doesdoesdoes….

YES IT DOES!

Am I the only one with that Hitlerian tune ringing in my ears?

Now THAT is schmaltzy…..

seejanemom on October 9, 2008 at 4:55 PM

wow i am shocked Obama had to pay for the 1/2 hour.

custer on October 9, 2008 at 4:56 PM

McCain is Bob Dole

lodge on October 9, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Childrens’ parade for Obama this Sunday in Seattle.

Good Gawd, what is wrong with these people?

“Shut up, Sunbeam, and carry the sign like I showed you. Mommy needs to show everyone how multicultural she is.””

Bishop on October 9, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Makes your past shiny!

Pasalubong on October 9, 2008 at 4:49 PM

OK–that’s funny.

funky chicken on October 9, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Obviously his full communist partnership will contribute to the cost of airtime. This will be a brain washing session people so fight it with everything you have.

rplat on October 9, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Channel One.

ballz2wallz on October 9, 2008 at 4:53 PM

BRILLIANT COMMENT OF THE THREAD!!!! Brevity…wit…soul…

seejanemom on October 9, 2008 at 4:57 PM

You are RIGHT ON lodge,….McCain is SOOoooOOooo BOB DOLE.

seejanemom on October 9, 2008 at 4:58 PM

Knowing Obama and his campaign people, this will be presented as a State of the Union speech. They just can’t resist their seals and Greek columns.

rw on October 9, 2008 at 4:58 PM

He has the money…just where did it come from?
We won’t know for 20 years…kind of like finding out Biden sold us out to the Russians.

right2bright on October 9, 2008 at 4:58 PM

I dare Obama to spend a half hour with Hannity.

mindhacker on October 9, 2008 at 4:58 PM

McCain is Bob Dole
lodge on October 9, 2008 at 4:56 PM

No, that would be a vast improvement.

LegendHasIt on October 9, 2008 at 4:58 PM

Seriously, this kind of spooks the crap out of me. The foreign money he must be receiving is petrifying.

McCain needs to communicate that he’s the guy who will lead us on the road to taking our country back. Just because Obama’s cool doesn’t mean we should run off the cliff with him.

Are we going to entrust our economy and our presidency to a guy who blew $161 million on Chicago schools with nothing to show for it?

Wake up. A vote for Obama is a vote for an untrustworthy, bulletproof federal government.

BuckeyeSam on October 9, 2008 at 4:59 PM

It took Carter to give us a Reagan…

changer1701 on October 9, 2008 at 4:54 PM

If we lose this one, there won’t be a Reagan. We’ll lose our country entirely. This guy is a thug, and we’ll never get rid of him and his kind. There will never be a fair election in this country again – who’s going to make them, if the Democrats seize control now?

capitalist piglet on October 9, 2008 at 4:59 PM

It took Carter to give us a Reagan…

changer1701 on October 9, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Yet another person who hasn’t bothered to watch any of this campaign but just regurgitates the “true conservative” crap about McCain. Or another Axelrod astroturfer. I actually vote for the second one as the talking points just rattle off so smoothly.

funky chicken on October 9, 2008 at 4:59 PM

Hack the TV signal on the night and JAM the airwaves with non stop 527 adds about Obama’s connection with Ayres. Or alternatively get the RNC to by up all the add space on the night and spam it with anti Obama campaign adds

Dreadnought223 on October 9, 2008 at 5:00 PM

What language will it be in? Spanish? German?

RBMN on October 9, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Why would somebody who’s winning in the polls suddenly need to spend that much money?

Unless he wasn’t…

Skywise on October 9, 2008 at 5:00 PM

McCain is Bob Dole
lodge on October 9, 2008 at 4:56 PM

No, that would be a vast improvement.

LegendHasIt on October 9, 2008 at 4:58 PM

That bad eh?

Cardiganfox on October 9, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Am I the only one with that Hitlerian tune ringing in my ears?

Now THAT is schmaltzy…..

seejanemom on October 9, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Tell me about it–although I did use that video and the other Obama-jugend video along with pieces from “Triumph of the Will” to sway a couple of Obama leaning undecideds to McCain. When they saw those videos and then saw the Hitler Youth they were scared to death! So was I!

Matt Helm on October 9, 2008 at 5:00 PM

amerpundit on October 9, 2008 at 4:44 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised. I’m betting he probably will create some sort of State TV channel. Programming will be intermingled with children’s choirs singing “Yes We Can”.

CP on October 9, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Bishop on October 9, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Y’all are killin’ me in here today! I should have peed before I came!

seejanemom on October 9, 2008 at 5:01 PM

McCain is Bob Dole George Custer
lodge on October 9, 2008 at 4:56 PM

MB4 on October 9, 2008 at 5:01 PM

He’s the most overexposed candidate in our history; so, why would anyone choose to watch an informercial by him?

blue13326 on October 9, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Let’s just face facts – this election is OVER.

Outlander on October 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Then you can chalk it up to the courageous voters, they are about to sell the Republic for a few pieces of silver. Get ready for the renaming . . . how does the Socialist States of America sound?

rplat on October 9, 2008 at 5:01 PM

I dare Obama to spend a half hour with Hannity.

mindhacker on October 9, 2008 at 4:58 PM

He spent time with Bill O’Windbag, and he got away with answers like, “Well, what can I tell ya?”

capitalist piglet on October 9, 2008 at 5:01 PM

McCain and Palin should ask Nobama if this was the reason he broke his word on Public Funding. They should also ask if his promise of a tax cut for 95% of Americans, is as reliable as his public funding promise.

mtbunji on October 9, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Obama was the first candidate in how many years to refuse gvoernment money for campaigning? I think it was about 30 years or so. And the result is that I am so sick of Obama. Sick of his face, his voice, his arrogant preening narcissistic smug little smile. Sick of his groupies, sick of the butt kissing from the media. It is like Obama has been there forever and ever.

And now we get a half hour. I am wondering if all this will end up just running people off. I hope he loses for a lot of reasons, but one of them is the amount of money Obama has raised and spent on this campaign. I think it is a bad precedent, and it will be worse if he wins.

We will never see the end of campaigning. They will just move right on to the next one and start raising money for it. America for sale.

Terrye on October 9, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Who’s been paying for all the Obama TV CBS has been delivering for the past 2 years?

RightWinged on October 9, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Unless he wasn’t…

Skywise on October 9, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Send it ahead of time, so as the investigation into donations shakes out he won’t be forced to return it. Oops, spent all that foreign money already. Sorry!

Spirit of 1776 on October 9, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Hey congrats guys with your giggling little parlor games. I hope you are really, really proud of yourselves if you manage to depress republican turnout enough to install Barack Obama as Commander in Chief of the US armed forces.

You obviously don’t have a husband, wife, or child serving right now, so I can perhaps understand how it’s all so academic and funny to you.

I would think you’d be concerned about letting Ayers’s favorite protege be in charge of the US Justice Department, but hey, I guess you think that will be fun too.

funky chicken on October 9, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Matt Helm on October 9, 2008 at 5:00 PM

By whatever means necessary, my brother. You are doing God’s work….

seejanemom on October 9, 2008 at 5:03 PM

I’d rather count the pennies left in my 401K than to let my head explode watching the false prophet any more..

pherrman on October 9, 2008 at 5:04 PM

D0WNT0WN on October 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Well, Obama can do this because he’s raised gobs of money in the private market. McCain, on the other hand, is on food stamps.

But I suppose the RNC could buy the air time for him.

paul006 on October 9, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Wait! We have a presidential candidate doing an infomercial for his campaign?

Pcoop on October 9, 2008 at 5:04 PM

In Soviet United States, circa 2009, CBS gives air time to The One for free.

lorien1973 on October 9, 2008 at 5:05 PM

We all need to contact Fox News and say NO to the Messiah. Crash their site and fax lines.

HornetSting on October 9, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Everybody is poking fun at it….and I agree, its quite comical and narcissistic; BUT….why?

Is it a sign of what his internal polling is telling him that he must do? Just asking.

Its seems odd. I remember Perot doing it and look at the net effect of it for him.

OSUBuciz1 on October 9, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Wait! We have a presidential candidate doing an infomercial for his campaign?

Pcoop on October 9, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Yep. And just like those infomercials; in order to get that $19.95 widget, you have to pay $150 for everything they didn’t mention.

lorien1973 on October 9, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Matt Helm on October 9, 2008 at 5:00 PM

Wow–hats off to you, sir. Thank you.

funky chicken on October 9, 2008 at 5:06 PM

I predict Obama names people he’ll put in cabinet positions, so it’ll dominate the news until election day.

lorien1973 on October 9, 2008 at 5:06 PM

If he get’s elected, we will have the mandatory Obama Channel.

carbon_footprint on October 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM

…except that, then, the TV’d be watching you.

Puritan1648 on October 9, 2008 at 5:06 PM

…except that, then, the TV’d be watching you.

Puritan1648 on October 9, 2008 at 5:06 PM

No stealing my joke!

*mad*

lorien1973 on October 9, 2008 at 5:07 PM

I dare Obama to spend a half hour with Hannity.

mindhacker on October 9, 2008 at 4:58 PM

Won’t ever happen.

CP on October 9, 2008 at 5:07 PM

I`m not quite clear why he’s bothering to pay for it (at least insofar as NBC is concerned).

My question is whether it will be the same programme on CBS as on NBC as on Fox?

Blaise on October 9, 2008 at 5:09 PM

HornetSting on October 9, 2008 at 5:05 PM

Fox news?????

grapeknutz on October 9, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Childrens’ parade for Obama this Sunday in Seattle.

Ask him what he’s done for childrens’ education in Chicago?

ctmom on October 9, 2008 at 5:09 PM

He must be raking it in if he can afford a buy like this

Not necessarily, the lefty media would probably give him all the air time he wants for free!

On the other hand, if McCain wanted the air time and even offered to pay double the lefty media’s response would be, “oh sorry Mr. McCain, we’d be happy to accommodate you but we’re all booked up showing reruns of Paris Hilton’s show The Simple Life in that time slot…”

Liberty or Death on October 9, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Everyone, there’s something else to think about here…some of us are wailing and gnashing our teeth over him buying all this time–what if he BOMBS in the ratings?

Spread the word to everyone you know to tune out and do something…anything else. Make love to your significant other…go swimming…read a book…play a computer game…anything other than watching the One’s infomercial. Imagine the look on his face if he FLOPS!

Folks, it’s time for OPERATION TUNE OUT O’BAMBI!

Matt Helm on October 9, 2008 at 5:10 PM

funky chicken on October 9, 2008 at 5:03 PM

…so, Mr. In Touch With Political Purity, how are we supposed to think? What is the party line? What should our opinions be?

Think for us, O, Enlightened One…we’re so weak and shallow….

…or p*ss off, one or the other….

Puritan1648 on October 9, 2008 at 5:10 PM

A riveting half hour spewing the new religion of the one person who can reduce this great nation to a mirror image of Canada.

As for me and my household, we’ll not be watching that. Money poorly spent since the divide will be well drawn by then.

Hening on October 9, 2008 at 5:10 PM