CBS reporter: Obama’s campaign plane stinks

posted at 7:15 pm on October 8, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Literally.  And it’s not the only thing Dean Reynolds sees wrong with the Barack Obama campaign after covering it for the past year.  He recently spent time with the John McCain team for a change of pace, and it turned out to be a much different experience:

After most of the previous 12 months covering Barack Obama’s campaign for the presidency, it was interesting, instructive and, well, relaxing to follow John McCain for the last few days. The differences between the two are striking. …

Obama’s campaign schedule is fuller, more hectic and seemingly improvisational. The Obama aides who deal with the national reporters on the campaign plane are often overwhelmed, overworked and un-informed about where, when, why or how the candidate is moving about. Baggage calls are preposterously early with the explanation that it’s all for security reasons.

If so, I would love to have someone from Obama’s campaign explain why the entire press corps, the Secret Service, and the local police idled for two hours in a Miami hotel parking lot recently because there was nothing to do and nowhere to go. It was not an isolated case. …

The McCain folks are more helpful and generally friendly. The schedules are printed on actual books you can hold in your hand, read, and then plan accordingly. The press aides are more knowledgeable and useful to us in the news media. The events are designed with a better eye, and for the simple needs of the press corps. When he is available, John McCain is friendly and loquacious. Obama holds news conferences, but seldom banters with the reporters who’ve been following him for thousands of miles around the country. Go figure.

The McCain campaign plane is better than Obama’s, which is cramped, uncomfortable and smells terrible most of the time. Somehow the McCain folks manage to keep their charter clean, even where the press is seated.

Sounds like the campaign press may have fallen out of love with Obama.  Perhaps that’s the antidote for Chris Matthews’ leg tingles.  Or maybe not; after all, the hagiographic coverage hasn’t exactly abated in the last few months.  Of course, most of them haven’t seen the contrast between the two campaigns like Reynolds has, either.

Reynolds describes a campaign that seems almost as lost as its candidate in a foreign-policy debate.  No one knows the schedule for the day, or at least no one wants to tell the press.  And does anyone else wonder why Team Obama seems so keen on getting their hands on the baggage of reporters?  I find it curious that the press hasn’t objected to this yet.

Read the entire account, and ask yourself which candidate appears to be the best executive just on the basis of the campaign — which Barack Obama assures us serves as his qualification for office.

Comments

Cocoa butter

SouthernGent on October 8, 2008 at 7:33 PM

LodeStar on October 8, 2008 at 8:07 PM

A black co-worker of mine claimed that whites were the offspring of cave dwellers and dogs. His proof? Did you ever smell a wet white person? They smell like dog.

Of course I immediately asked two questions….

What does a wet black person smell like?

What color skin did these cave dwellers have?

His answer to both was “I don’t know”.

Sounds like we better just admit all those white reporters are stinking the place out because they didn’t dry off after their shower.

csdeven on October 8, 2008 at 8:08 PM

May I point out the obvious?

“I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy,” he said. “I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”

franksalterego on October 8, 2008 at 8:09 PM

Ahahaha.

Read the inmates over at DU’s head explosions over this:

Enoxo on October 8, 2008 at 8:10 PM

The second city definitely not ready for primetime players ewwwwww……..

sonnyspats1 on October 8, 2008 at 8:11 PM

An insider says it’s the same stench as in the newsrooms of MSNBC and CNN. Olby must have let one go.

Travis1 on October 8, 2008 at 8:12 PM

A friend of my brothers was on the WH staff during Bush Sr.’s years and he was one of the staff members that was to train the incoming staff of Clinton, before Bubba took office. He described the differences between the 2 administrative offices. Bush Sr.’s office was a typical office setting, clean, well kept, professional dress. But, once Clinton’s staff moved into place the office went from a clean, professional atmosphere to one that resembled a college dorm room. Pizza boxes every where, dressed-down attire, no organization and filthy. Completely contrasting atmospheres.

Conservative_SAHM on October 8, 2008 at 8:13 PM

In the days before the DNC found the duct tape, didn’t Michelle0, herself, say, before an audience of millions, that Barack was pretty stinky?

Well, it is always nice to have outside confirmation.

LegendHasIt on October 8, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Please pray for Dean and his family.

Terrie on October 8, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Will do.

And lets stay away from Kos for a few days.

csdeven on October 8, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Wonder what the White House will smell like if the tribe of Obama moves in.

Oh, dear, that really did sound racist.

Ask me if I care.

tru2tx on October 8, 2008 at 7:56 PM

…racist….

…and, do you care?

…somebody had to do it….

…after his inaugural, Andrew Jackson hosted an open house in the White House, where all and sundry were welcome to come and chat, check things out, etc…the centerpiece of which was a giant, smelly cheese…they say that it smelled the place up for weeks afterward….

…so…once again, the White House will stink of cheese….

Puritan1648 on October 8, 2008 at 8:15 PM

Dog Squeeze Express

sonnyspats1 on October 8, 2008 at 8:15 PM

Read the inmates over at DU’s head explosions over this:

You mean like this?

38. I interpreted it as a sort of “them dirty n—–s” reference.

Hateful, evil people.

Quisp on October 8, 2008 at 8:18 PM

You know what my HA readers?

The rest of the world wants a BO president. If one reads the foreign press, they are yearning, absolutely mad and longing for BO. They loved the saxophone playing BJ who could shuck and jive them into oblivion. Says a lot about euroweenies and their values, eh?

Now they want BO. They may get their wish. A foolish electorate can flood the world with BO.

Huh, I wonder how many years of a flaccid US participation in world affairs under an Obama presidency will jibe with their constant appeals for more foreign aid and military protection?

Other countries do not share our love of deodorant, but a few years of Barry will have them clamoring for something to swipe under their arms.

/invest wisely, my friends

Cody1991 on October 8, 2008 at 8:21 PM

Smelly Obama Force One! RACIST!

eaglewingz08 on October 8, 2008 at 8:22 PM

You know what my HA readers?

I meant to say, “fellow HA readers.”

Cody1991 on October 8, 2008 at 8:26 PM

racist reporter.

unseen on October 8, 2008 at 8:30 PM

You mean like this?

38. I interpreted it as a sort of “them dirty n—–s” reference.

Hateful, evil people.
Quisp on October 8, 2008 at 8:18 PM

Democrats are what I call closet racists. They make racists remarks as if they’re quoting someone else who never even came close to saying anything like their quotes. And that is perfectly appropriate to them.

And yet, Republicans are the ones deemed racist.

Enoxo on October 8, 2008 at 8:30 PM

unseen on October 8, 2008 at 8:30 PM

I enjoy that Youtube poster. Look at his othe videos, especially the fight against mock-Barack with lightsabers.

It’s awesome.

Enoxo on October 8, 2008 at 8:35 PM

This race crap is out of control. Just like McCain saying “that one” in the debate last night. That, according to MSNBC on Race for the Whitehouse was a subtle jab at Obama’s race. Give me a break. My son is as white you can be and when I get mad at him and complain to my husband I often point at my son and say “that one”. I guess I’m a racist who hates my own child.

church on October 8, 2008 at 8:40 PM

Didn’t Obama cite his campaign as one of his big executive accomplishments?

Me, I think the Obama campaign has a moose in their shorts and can’t get it out.

tarpon on October 8, 2008 at 8:41 PM

As a former newspaper reporter, I have to say, Reporters stink in general. Especially print journalists. Yuck. If anything, this is a story about not hiring enough low-pay janitors for the planes. You need a team of at least 1 clean-up guy for every 3 journalists, in my opinion.

thedudesblog on October 8, 2008 at 8:43 PM

Didn’t Michelle say last spring that Obama’s feet stink??

JellyToast on October 8, 2008 at 8:45 PM

Armpit Force One

viking01 on October 8, 2008 at 8:48 PM

Rats. eaglewingz08 already beat me to it at 8:22PM

viking01 on October 8, 2008 at 8:51 PM

Astroglide?

dmann on October 8, 2008 at 8:58 PM

church on October 8, 2008 at 8:40 PM

This stuff is getting so prevalent that I feel like it is coloring my whole outlook. Last night after the debate during the segment that someone at HA affectionately calls Luntz’s Dunces, there was a white lady sitting between two black people. She stated that she was leaning towards voting for Sen. Obama but thought that Sen. McCain had several good points and expanded on her thoughts. The black couple seemed to challenge her on whether she really ever seriously considered Sen. Obama. When I saw it I thought they were needlessly aggressive but now I am not sure their statements weren’t just fine and I was reading something into the conversation that wasn’t there. It’s weird to second guess you own impressions.

Cindy Munford on October 8, 2008 at 9:00 PM

“I love the smell of napalm in the morning…. it smells like…. victory”

“However, riding on Obama’s plane makes me want to hurl”.

Hog Wild on October 8, 2008 at 9:03 PM

Whether it’s the barf bags or Bambi’s chief hack Andrea Mitchell one would have to say it “Depends.”

viking01 on October 8, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Drudge Report just picked it up. Near top page in center.

Kokonut on October 8, 2008 at 9:09 PM

No Timetables?

lexhamfox on October 8, 2008 at 9:13 PM

Probably cigarettes. /ex-smoker

baldilocks on October 8, 2008 at 9:16 PM

This thread reeks of fear.

Chimpy on October 8, 2008 at 9:28 PM

Its Olbermann’s musk. I hear he sends a fresh jar to Obama everyday.

Speedwagon82 on October 8, 2008 at 9:30 PM

Maybe none of this means much. Maybe a front-running campaign like Obama’s that is focused solely on victory doesn’t have the time to do the mundane things like print up schedules or attend to the needs of reporters.

Well, I’d say, since most MSM is totally in the tank for Obama, and not made a secret of it, the One and his staff can treat the media like the whores they are.

4shoes on October 8, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Chimpy on October 8, 2008 at 9:28 PM

After eight years of leftist loons with their “Chimpy McHiltler” type comments, based on President Bush’s less than greek god like ears, I’m wondering if it will be OK, since 0Bama’s ears are even more prominent….

Will it be OK if we refer to him as Chimpy McMao-MauMau?

Or would that be racist?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give on this question.

LegendHasIt on October 8, 2008 at 9:39 PM

This thread reeks of fear.

Chimpy on October 8, 2008 at 9:28 PM

As well it should. Anyone with brains is afraid of this man becoming president.

baldilocks on October 8, 2008 at 9:43 PM

So, the few things Obama has adminstrative experience at, appear to be rather shoddy in how they’re run and/or lacking in meaningful results.

aikidoka on October 8, 2008 at 7:25 PM

I hate to point this out, but as of now, Obambi’s winning.

You can run a tidy, efficient airplane, but that’s small consolation if you lose the race. Maybe Sen. McCain needs to have his staff put away the vacuums and get out the cudgels.

MrLynn on October 8, 2008 at 10:00 PM

MrLynn on October 8, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Hopefully making cracks about smelly planes won’t be our sole consolation on Nov. 5.

darii on October 8, 2008 at 10:15 PM

LegendHasIt on October 8, 2008 at 9:39 PM

Aren’t we prickly today. My “handle” is a nickname some friends from the “hood” gave me over 35 years ago because I could climb just about anything. When I visit the “hood” most of those old friends still call me that.

based on President Bush’s less than greek god like ears

I never noticed. Thought they were talking about his IQ. Legend has it that you are an idiot.

Chimpy on October 8, 2008 at 10:16 PM

baldilocks on October 8, 2008 at 9:43 PM

You missed the point. Fear that McSame is going to really tank in Nov.

Chimpy on October 8, 2008 at 10:18 PM

A thread on how “The O’s” plane smells, reeks of despair.

Chimpy on October 8, 2008 at 10:22 PM

Dean Reynolds was on the BO plane and he’s surprised it stinks?

Maxx on October 8, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Chimpy on October 8, 2008 at 10:16 PM

Yeah, but you didn’t answer my question.

Is it OK, or would it be racist?

How can I ever be anything other than an idiot if you brilliant people won’t answer a simple question?

LegendHasIt on October 8, 2008 at 10:26 PM

That would explain why MyBO.com supporters love him so much. Masks their own stench.

BKennedy on October 8, 2008 at 10:27 PM

As an avid bowhunter I use some stinky stuff called “Doe In Heat”

From what I’ve seen of the Lib reporterettes on that plane he has a problem of “Hoe In Heat”!

dhunter on October 8, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Not the stench he thought he knew.

LibTired on October 8, 2008 at 11:04 PM

You missed the point. Fear that McSame is going to really tank in Nov.

Chimpy on October 8, 2008 at 10:18 PM

Actually, it is you who missed the point. I don’t think that fear would be so palpable if HRC had been the Dem nominee. She doesn’t have tie to terrorist, Marxists and racial demagogues.

There’s more to life than having a member of one’s political party in the White House. The point that people like you aren’t getting is this: if Obama wins, we will all lose.

baldilocks on October 8, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Chimpy on October 8, 2008 at 10:22

troll alert…

the place stinks because reporters stink, and the plane just isn’t as well-vented to get rid of that Reporter Smell

Really, go spend some time standing near a group of them: they stink

oh, and Chimpy, GFY

Janos Hunyadi on October 8, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Since “That One” counts running the campaign as executive experience, I’d says this shows a bad sign of things to come should it win. I don’t think SeeBS thought about that implication when posting the article. Bwahahaha.

– Drill

Drill_Thrawl on October 8, 2008 at 11:24 PM

LegendHasIt on October 8, 2008 at 10:26 PM

This thread is about the “oh dear” on Obama’s plane. My comment was pointing out that the topic and comments are trivial. It is Jerry Springer like. It has no bearing on Obama’s qualifications or the final outcome in Nov. The point of your comment, (LegendHasIt on October 8, 2008 at 9:39 PM), was your ad hominem problem with my handle instead of my comment. Then you have the chutzpah to demand I answer your “switch and bait”.

If it will make you happy then here you go.

LegendHasIt on October 8, 2008 at 9:39 PM
Will it be OK if we refer to him as Chimpy McMao-MauMau?

Wouldn’t bother me. Obamas been called a lot worse here at HA. Go for it. I won’t whine like you did because of my handle.

baldilocks on October 8, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Your right. If Obama wins he is going to seize all the means of production, abolish private property and make Osama bin Laden Secretary of State.

troll alert…
oh, and Chimpy, GFY
Janos Hunyadi on October 8, 2008 at 11:23 PM

I feel the love and the same way about you.

Chimpy on October 9, 2008 at 1:52 AM

Jimmy Carter had the same reputation with the press and anyone else with the misfortune to deal with him, like White House employees.

Second most unlikable was Lyndon B. Johnson. There was the story of his treatment of a Secret Service agent. As told, LBJ decided to take a leak in the Rose Garden or some such and hit the agent’s shoes. When the agent complained, LBJ remarked with smile “Presidential prerogative”

A fortune I got in a fortune cookie read “Remember to be loved you must also love and be lovable”

Self love is the least lovable

The press may want to consider the future they may be creating for themselves. They are useful tools now, but obviously not on the Rev Wright person of the year list of desirables. They fit more in the G_D_ America category

entagor on October 9, 2008 at 2:02 AM

Your right.

My right what.

Did he tell you that? Because I didn’t. Being a Cold Warrior, however, I do know a Marxist when I see one. Sorry for you that you don’t.

baldilocks on October 9, 2008 at 2:04 AM

Chimpy on October 9, 2008 at 1:52 AM

Also, in the future you should leave the mind-reading to others. You’re terrible at it.

baldilocks on October 9, 2008 at 2:05 AM

Sounds like Obama is a Diva.

Kini on October 9, 2008 at 2:10 AM

Did he tell you that? Because I didn’t. baldilocks on October 9, 2008 at 2:04 AM

Yes you did.

tie to terrorist, Marxists…. baldilocks on October 8, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Chimpy on October 9, 2008 at 2:23 AM

baldilocks

I took that crap you flung out there and expanded on it.

Chimpy on October 9, 2008 at 2:28 AM

and so will this country when he’s in office. Folks, this is just a sample of what could be. He’s treating the press like crap and his plane smells like it.

johnnyU on October 9, 2008 at 4:50 AM

Sounds like code for “Ghetto Plane”

misslizzi on October 9, 2008 at 5:00 AM

The smell has been identified – it is from the reporters themselves.

As I have noticed over the years, liberals are generally unkempt people sporting tousled hair, wrinkled clothes, and a malodorous smell.

So, being that most of the reporters on the plane are liberals, their once-a-month hygiene ranks somewhere near to that of a skunk’s.

pocomoco on October 9, 2008 at 8:39 AM

So BHO’s plane smells like BO?

SicSemperTyrannus on October 9, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Maybe they have spent too much time rehearsing the new Obama National Anthem,
and didn’t have time to tidy up.

Da_Hutt on October 9, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Every airplane I’ve ever been on reeks of some kind of bodily stench.

Brat on October 9, 2008 at 9:23 AM

It’s all those used diapers that no one wants to deal with.
John and Sarah really got their bowels in an uproar.

Christine on October 9, 2008 at 9:36 AM

Da-Hutt: My husbamd and I saw Glenn at an Indian reservation down here in S. Cal. last month. Too bad he didn’t show this to us on the big screen. I’ve heard this song before on his radio show but didn’t know it was his masterpiece.

Christine on October 9, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Of course it stinks, it holds a crappy candidate.

NoDonkey on October 9, 2008 at 9:44 AM

They be doin’ some diirrrty ridin’ on that jet

max1 on October 9, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Why is anyone surprised at the stink. Flash back to the sixties and the peace loving, pot smoking, protesting swell of humanity lounging in the streets, and running roughshod over our universities. Long greasy hair, unshaven armpits and legs, filthy clothing, reeking of patchouli oil to cover the odor…. Nothing has changed but their age. These morons have pro-created, and produced another generation of odorous, pot smoking, Marxist radicals, some of which are serving in Congress. Goodbye USA as we know it. We didn’t fight back hard enough against their thuggery.

hopefloats on October 9, 2008 at 11:34 AM

i think its all that green stuff behind his big ears that is smelling the plane up

la.rt.wngr on October 9, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Speaking of crap being flung…

Yes you did [say something about Osama bin Laden].

tie to terrorist, Marxists…. baldilocks on October 8, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Chimpy on October 9, 2008 at 2:23 AM

Unless every terrorist is Osama bin Laden, you’re a liar or you don’t have a strong enough memory to remember what you said:

make Osama bin Laden Secretary of State.

baldilocks on October 9, 2008 at 12:29 PM

They be doin’ some diirrrty ridin’ on that jet

max1 on October 9, 2008 at 10:52 AM

lol

baldilocks on October 9, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Cattle Car Plane

Kini on October 9, 2008 at 1:00 PM

But in politics, everything that goes around comes around.

Maybe the smell is cigarette smoke. I hear he’s falling off the wagon on that won. Must be stressed out. But why? Isn’t he going to win in a landslide?

Sultry Beauty on October 9, 2008 at 3:58 PM

won=one hahaha Freudian slip…

Sultry Beauty on October 9, 2008 at 3:58 PM