Surprise: Peggy Noonan not sure who she’s voting for

posted at 7:45 pm on October 6, 2008 by Allahpundit

Fittingly, the news is broken on a show hosted by the second-most fatuous suck-upper on MSNBC. Even if you buy her explanation for the infamous open mic mishap before Palin’s speech (also on MSNBC, coincidentally), this won’t come as a shock to anyone who reads her regularly. She’s a speechwriter and The One gives a good speech, or so I’m assured. That alone was probably enough to earn him a second look.

I do think she’s right, though, that the Ayers attacks aren’t going anywhere unless/until the economy is off the front page, which it won’t be before the election. But then, you already knew that.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Because she floats. Like very small rocks.

Guardian on October 6, 2008 at 8:43 PM

Ah, it never gets old. I hope the mix Holy Grail and the good MP skits in with the dogma at the reeducation camps.

29V?

hawkdriver on October 6, 2008 at 8:50 PM

OMFG! NBC went to Vietnam to talk to McCain’s captors who of coarse claim McCain was treated well and they, “spoke as friends.”

NBC must be destroyed.

TheBigOldDog on October 6, 2008 at 8:51 PM

heard her on radio this morning on Laura, had to turn it off she got on my nerves so bad

jp on October 6, 2008 at 8:52 PM

I don’t live in Alabama, but what’s wrong with Alabama?

johnsteele on October 6, 2008 at 8:43 PM

Absolutely nothing is wrong with Alabama. It’s just not NYC/DC and little Peggy would just die if she had to live there among the little people.

Blake on October 6, 2008 at 8:54 PM

Some thoughts on Noonan:

- She’s a self-absorbed nitwit who doesn’t matter to anyone but her,

- No one cares who she votes for, but making her indecision known publicly will make some idiot leftists very happy,

- It was PMSNBC, so it’s a tree falling in the forest.

- Impact: zero. And a healthy reminder to conservatives to ignore her from here on out.

Jaibones on October 6, 2008 at 8:55 PM

I did live in Alabama for a long time, and I’ll take their politics over the libs here in KC anyday- Alabama had a really corrupt Dem governor, (Seagalman?) and they ran his butt out on a rail, and mostly they vote straight Republican

It’s not a bad state if you can stay in Huntsville or Birmingham

anniekc on October 6, 2008 at 9:00 PM

NBC must be destroyed.

TheBigOldDog on October 6, 2008 at 8:51 PM

What, your friends don’t break all your teeth to the gumline and break your arms and tie them behind your back?

buncha wimps you hang with

///

Sadly, those attacks come more from the wacked out far right than the left. Perhaps the zone where the two wings overlap.

put down any heavy objects and perhaps pop a blood pressure pill on the way over to that link

funky chicken on October 6, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Jaibones

Well put. More of us here are paying attention than viewers of PMSNBC.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on October 6, 2008 at 9:03 PM

Bill Kristol in drag

Or is he Noonan in drag?

My two least favorite nay sayers who always speak as if they know the score. Noonan gushes, Kristol scoffs, and both help themselves more than they help conservatives. Black clouds who hog the air as they talk down all hope for the right, because deep down inside, they do not like the right. They like their guys who can’t get traction with the base.

They were in on the kill this election as their hounds helped triangulate the base to let McCain float up. Despite all they did, Maverick installed Palin, dashing their hopes to dust.

They put him in. Now they are planning his funeral. Great friends

entagor on October 6, 2008 at 9:03 PM

She gave herself away when she was caught off camera saying Palin was a disaster and “it’s over“, while laughing.

That plus if she said anything in favor of McCain/Palin Olberduffus and Matthews would make her life miserable.

FireBlogger on October 6, 2008 at 9:05 PM

Uh, no. You really have to get out and talk to real people more. The digital personas — and Peggy Noonans — can wear you down. Or contact Hitch about that poppy investment opportunity.

Nichevo on October 6, 2008 at 9:05 PM

entagor on October 6, 2008 at 9:03 PM

True Dat. The problem is that when there is real contructive critisism, no ones going to take it serious. Because crap like this is illogical (or she isn’t a real conservative)and just piss poor timing.

Like I was saying the other night. Complain about the team on Wednesday Afternoon practice. This is freaking game day.

hawkdriver on October 6, 2008 at 9:10 PM

Peggy “Green-Eyed Devil” Nooner.

Irrelevant, irresponsible, irritating.

profitsbeard on October 6, 2008 at 9:11 PM

Bitter Wimmin Brigade.

Just remember, all you conservative thug men and women…

You’re lives are nothing but ridiculous narratives unless you sit around North Eastern City centers sipping double-frappe-hazel-dashed-soy-slim-tall-lattes and listening to NPR.

AND I SAID A DASH OF HAZELNUT NOT A SPRINKLE!

Stupid proletarian coffee-girl.

/snivel

Montana on October 6, 2008 at 9:13 PM

When will Peggy Noonan just GO AWAY! Nobody on the Right gives a rat’s ass about her addled opinions.

Cicero43 on October 6, 2008 at 8:44 PM

Sorry, but I care about what she has to say. I just don’t agree with her. I can say truthfully say, after defending her on here time and time again, that I don’t know what has happened to her. I won’t defend her again, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t think she has contributed enormously to the conservative cause in the past. This is really sad for me (as I sit with several of her books on my shelves).

Glynn on October 6, 2008 at 9:26 PM

Ronald Reagan must be spinning in his grave.

Bruce Hendrix on October 6, 2008 at 9:26 PM

Noonan is an old, worn out whore.

echosyst on October 6, 2008 at 9:33 PM

And then there’s the other analysis: why do we need to know this. Let me take a stab:

- Peg lost a fortune in the current downturn when her broker’s obsession with Lehman products burned them both,

- So she had to go back to work, so she could keep the pearls shined,

- She called Fox, but the youngish producers all went “Who?”,

- and she ended up over at MessNBC, where Matthews can throw her on the air a couple times and use it to declare them “evenhanded” on the election.

Puh.

Jaibones on October 6, 2008 at 9:36 PM

I am sure who I won’t be reading anymore, two faced elitists.

tarpon on October 6, 2008 at 9:37 PM

You all claim she’s not a “conservative”. I have to ask: compared to whom? George Bush? John McCain? Yeah, let’s look at the “conservative” McCain: he sponsored McCain-Feingold and McCain-Kennedy; he supports “Living Constitution” judges (voted to confirm Breyer and Ginsburg and has praised O’Connor); he’s “pro-life” yet supports embryonic stem cell research; he’s a global warming apologist; he receives an F- from the Gun Owners of America for 2nd Amendment issues for many reasons; he has very well-known populist views of economics; he was a member of the “Gang of 14″; he voted for the $700+ billion pork chop, which was unconstitutional, unwise, and unjust in so many ways; and he didn’t even vote on the Clean [non-]Energy Act of 2007.
If he’s a “conservative”, then I’m all the prouder to claim the title of “independent”.
Just like with the rest of Congress, I’m not going to support someone who’s bailed on the values to which I’m dedicating my life to defend. If neither Obama nor McCain, or Democrats or Republicans for that matter, are supporting what I support, then I haven’t the slightest hesitation with seeking life elsewhere. I just wish more had the courage to do so. Most are more concerned with not losing what little we have left instead of trying to win.

Send_Me on October 6, 2008 at 9:43 PM

Ronald Reagan must be spinning in his grave.

Bruce Hendrix on October 6, 2008 at 9:26 PM

Peggy Noonan wrote what I consider to be the defining book on Ronald Reagan, When Character was King. It’s one of my favorites. I am sure he would be saddened by her now.

Glynn on October 6, 2008 at 9:45 PM

How is telling the truth an “attack”?

Jim Treacher on October 6, 2008 at 9:48 PM

Glynn on October 6, 2008 at 9:45 PM

Great book about a great man. It’s a shame that McCain doesn’t share his principles. There are so few left (e.g. Duncan Hunter, Ted Poe, Mike Pence, Jim DeMint, Bobby Jindal and a couple others). The Republican party as a whole has lost its way.

Send_Me on October 6, 2008 at 9:53 PM

Peggy is so out of touch with Americans, and yet she continues to believe she is.

The fact she would even entertain the thought of voting for Obama means she is as I thought:

A PHONY CATHOLIC and an F’in elitist who everybody knows does not believe anything she writes.

It is to keep a job.

She’s almost to the point of being O-man’s bitch.

Sapwolf on October 6, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Noonan has been trying to damage McCain since the beginning of the election. Her “open mic” moment was the last straw for me. It proved that she is a dishonest person and a dishonest columnist. What she said in her “open mic” moment was the polar opposite of what she wrote in her column the same day. Noonan is a joke who fits right in on the Obama network.

jonezee on October 6, 2008 at 9:55 PM

I don’t understand all the Peggy hate. I find her usually insightful and her columns quite good. I agree completely with her assessment–much bigger things than William Ayers matter to the American people right now (myself included), like it or not. I wish McCain would focus on the crisis and at least attempt to be a leader here, rather than on the tit-for-tat.

ggoofer on October 6, 2008 at 9:57 PM

B!itch scorned.

Women are naturally jealous of one another. (A very liberal female boss told me that, so it can’t be sexist!) Go into any office, and the two most hated females among the females are the boss-lady (if any) and the hottest one with the best set of headlights.

I’m serious.

Tommygun on October 6, 2008 at 10:06 PM

ggoofer on October 6, 2008 at 9:57 PM

You’d better duck: I see lots of McCain supporters picking up rocks labeled “liberal”, “Obama supporter”, “troll”, “lefty” amongst many other colorful epithets.

Send_Me on October 6, 2008 at 10:08 PM

Peggy Noonan is an elitist pig! If it wasn’t said in DC or NYC then only a fool would believe it. She along with McCain are RINOs but unfortunately we have to support McCain. Noonan we don’t! This is the kind of loser thinking that has cost the Republicans every important election in the last 50 years.

flytier on October 6, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Send_Me on October 6, 2008 at 9:43 PM

Send_Me on October 6, 2008 at 9:43 PM

I see, are you simply the antithesis of all your complaints or is there something more you stand for . . . or something less?

rplat on October 6, 2008 at 10:22 PM

anniekc on October 6, 2008 at 9:00 PM

You should never steer anyone toward Bammerham – it’s the biggest “ME TOO” city in the USA. Their corrupt mayor has even started a campaign to try to get a future (maybe 2020) Olympics hosted in B’ham. He knows he hasn’t a chance in he!!, but he also knows he can be wined and dined and rack up lots of travel during his efforts.

AubieJon on October 6, 2008 at 10:28 PM

flytier on October 6, 2008 at 10:13 PM

No wonder people here are so angry. They see that Republicans aren’t “conservative”, but feel they must still vote for McCain who clearly is not supportive of their values. And people claim I’m throwing my vote away… At least threaten him with the possibility that you won’t vote for him unless he supports more “conservative” ideas, otherwise why should he care what you think? He has you hook, line, and sinker because he knows that no matter what he does, what he says, what ideas and policies he supports that “conservatives” will always vote for him and any other Republican because all he has to say is, “well, it’s either me or that other guy.”
I understand the frustration, but rather than give in to a career politician like McCain who supports nothing that you do, why not at least threaten him with the potentiality that you’ll go 3rd party instead, voting on principle, not out of fear of losing what little “conservatives” have left.
Imagine for a moment if all “conservatives” took a chance by voting on principle and elect a 3rd party candidate who actually values what they do. And if that 3rd party candidate loses, well, at least the Republicans would have the wake-up call that is needed for them to return to “conservative” values. I wish more folks would vote out of principle instead of fear.

Send_Me on October 6, 2008 at 10:33 PM

Puzzling, indeed. Noonan has been in the trenches and seen liberalism from every side. She knows exactly why it is disastrous. What I Saw at the Revolution is an excellent political expose on the most gifted man to grace the White House since Lincoln. Obama represents the anti-Reagan.
Puzzling.

whitetop on October 6, 2008 at 10:34 PM

It’s real simple, Peggy: either you’re a marxist, or you’re not.

Voting for McCain means you’re not.

Why is this so hard for everyone?????

locomotivebreath1901 on October 6, 2008 at 10:38 PM

Look, the bottom line on Peg…she turned out to be a liar. And she revealed her elitist tendencies.

Of the two, elitism is the most despised.

Unearned and undeserved adoration of self.

“Oh, those unwashed masses with their silly narratives, tut tut.”

Montana on October 6, 2008 at 10:53 PM

Noonan is, quite literally, a hasbeen….She hasn’t been helpful to the conservative agenda for many years….She is no help to McCain either….Sadly, McCain is also no help to McCain…It makes me mad as hell that he is losing to the most empty, nothing, opposition candidate I can remember…And, especially since, from a conservative view, we have had the two best VP choices in decades…Sarah, the natural and Biden the laughable…Talk about a potential landslide, this should be it!! But, hell no, McCain insists on being the southern gentleman, manners, courtesy, white gloves and all that BS…Meanwhile, Sarah is out there giving them hell, as she should, with gusto!! The tragedy lies in the fact that, if McCain loses this damn election, we conservatives lose the beauty of a Sarah Palin run in future national politics, and that, “My Friends” is a true loss…We all could do well to suffer through McCain’s term, knowing full well, Sarah’s NEXT!!

b4lucy on October 6, 2008 at 11:11 PM

All I know is I don’t like her.

argos on October 6, 2008 at 11:16 PM

rplat on October 6, 2008 at 10:22 PM

I derive my stance from the Bible, the United States Constitution, and the Declaration of Independence.
These three books/documents all share common values: freedom, justice, and order. Each of these three are dependent upon one another. As John Adams said, “Statesmen, my dear Sir, may plan and speculate for liberty, but it is religion and morality alone, which can establish the principles upon which freedom can securely stand. The only foundation of a free Constitution is pure virtue, and if this cannot be inspired into our People in a greater Measure than they have it now, they may change their rulers and the forms of government, but they will not obtain a lasting liberty.” I also stand for free, open markets without tyrannical interference. I stand for the concept of laws, which, I must admit, are meaningless unless the society upholds them as their own. I stand for what is right and true, no matter how unpopular. I stand for a strong means of “common defence”, both as individuals and as a nation. I stand for the idea that freedom comes with a price: one must be brave enough to make their own living, their own livelihood, without expectation of help from the government or others. I stand for the idea that fellow citizens care for those around them, much like a family, a family by the name “American”, without any help from the government who is merely an arbiter, not a stakeholder. I stand for free speech and expression, yet also a society that has the moral courage to state that an idea or action is right or wrong, good or evil. I stand for the idea that “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.”

Send_Me on October 6, 2008 at 11:33 PM

If anyone remembers Peggy’s recent “live mic” comment after her interview with Chrissy?

She is your basic east coast Washington party chat vermin. She is way too intelligent for us common folk.

Captain America on October 7, 2008 at 12:08 AM

I really fell for her populist shtick in her book “What I Saw At The Revolution” but it has become all too clear recently that Noonan has two faces, and the one she shows to her MSNBC buddies in private may be the true one after all. Sad.

WasatchMan on October 7, 2008 at 12:17 AM

Now I have heard everything. What a bimbo. If I remember right, I thought she was once different?

sheebe on October 7, 2008 at 1:19 AM

You all claim she’s not a “conservative”. I have to ask: compared to whom?

Send_Me on October 6, 2008 at 9:43 PM

How about compared to any other conservative who wouldn’t seriously flirt with voting for a radical leftist with terrorist ties.

Kensington on October 7, 2008 at 1:57 AM

Kensington on October 7, 2008 at 1:57 AM

amen

Makes me want Palin to win so very very much to shove it down the craws of these eastern liberal snobs. Wall Street is top loaded with these same types who have eyes bigger than their stomachs and are willing to take granny’s last dime to leep the latte coming

entagor on October 7, 2008 at 2:20 AM

Well, this morning I see that HA has opted to put links on the page to two more conservative columnists knocking McCain. R. S. McCain and Rich Lowry. Of course, the reason given is the economy and people are seeing their 401Ks value dropping.

First, ANYONE that left their money in the market when this started IS A MORON. Go stand in the middle of the highway and wonder if that truck coming will actually hit YOU.

Second, who’s economic policies resulted in this crash? I know! It was Bush’s tax cuts! Yeah, that was it! He should have changed the taxes in such a manner that everyone that got a sub-prime loan would get a big enough tax refund (even though they didn’t pay anything in) to pay for the mortgage they would never have qualified for under anything based in realism. It certainly couldn’t have had anything to do with the CRA and Barney and his Fannie buddy.

If you didn’t move your 401K money from the stock market earlier this year, you were stupid. If you have a 401K that doesn’t permit you to change the mix to less risky investments, well, never mind. You probably can’t read anyway and aren’t reading this.

CC

CapedConservative on October 7, 2008 at 6:57 AM

Noonan is a closet liberal.

albill on October 7, 2008 at 7:05 AM

Allah – has she evah written or said anything you did not agree with? Please do not post her opinions anymore – she is irrelevant.

Fuquay Steve on October 7, 2008 at 7:13 AM

The thousand points of light reflects the thousand points of view that she expresses on MSNBC.

Fuquay Steve on October 7, 2008 at 7:16 AM

My only wish for Peggy is to be stranded on a desert isle with Bawney for ten years.

Fuquay Steve on October 7, 2008 at 7:24 AM

You people just don’t get Peggy Noonan.

You are to busy clinging to your guns and religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like you.

CinC on October 7, 2008 at 7:29 AM

Is she angling for a job?

Disturb the Universe on October 7, 2008 at 7:41 AM

Noonan is a closet liberal.

albill on October 7, 2008 at 7:05 AM

I think Noonan was out of the closet during the primaries. The way she wrote about BHO made it very obvious. And embarrassing, like teenage love letters!
Every time I read her WSJ articles I felt like ejecting the contents of my stomach through the mouth.
Finally I thought, “why am I punishing myself like this?”, so I just stopped reading her stuff.

CinC on October 7, 2008 at 7:45 AM

Peggy Noonan = Kumbaya Konservative

ajacksonian on October 7, 2008 at 8:42 AM

Send_Me on October 6, 2008 at 10:33 PM
And voting for a 3rd party candidate would do what? We need to spend the next 3 years clearing out the GOP and replacing with people like Palin, but not voting for McCain means that we allow a Marxist to become president! Palin in 2012 is what we need to be pointing toward but we can’t forget the present.

flytier on October 7, 2008 at 9:30 AM

Peggy Noonan = Kumbaya Konservative

ajacksonian on October 7, 2008 at 8:42 AM

Unbelievable! You and others here are attacking Noonan because she is UNDECIDED?! Insulting her in a strange way because she hasn’t made up her mind for which candidate she will vote? Really? Wow.

thePajamaPundit on October 7, 2008 at 9:38 AM

Usually, people that are left of center mature, and become thinking conservatives. Noonan is an example of what it looks like to change into a Moonbat….Ugly process.

adamsmith on October 7, 2008 at 9:44 AM

WELCOME TO UNDECIDED CONSERVATIVE THEATER. Today’s episode: “Overheated: The Peggy Noonan Story.”

Hi, I’m a bona fide conservative.

Say, looks like there’s an election next month!

Now who should I vote for? The war hero with the solidly conservative (albeit with some infuriating exceptions) legislative record, or the dreamy radical leftist who pals around with terrorists and wants to tax the country into oblivion whilst pushing a socialist agenda.

I just can’t decide.

Oh, well, we bona fide conservatives are just like that. Faced with this choice, we don’t know who to vote for!

Don’t attack me, now! :)

Next week on UNDECIDED CONSERVATIVE THEATER, Clueless: The Kathleen Parker Story.

Kensington on October 7, 2008 at 11:41 AM

“Some infuriating exceptions”? Now there’s the understatement of the week. Let’s see, he sponsored McCain-Feingold (so much for free speech and more just elections) and McCain-Kennedy (amnesty: admitting 10+ million illegal aliens as citizens would permanently change the face of the nation); he supports “Living Constitution” judges (voted to confirm Breyer and Ginsburg and has praised O’Connor); he’s “pro-life” yet supports embryonic stem cell research; he’s a global warming apologist; he receives an F- from the Gun Owners of America for 2nd Amendment issues for many reasons; he has very well-known populist views of economics; he was a member of the “Gang of 14″; he voted for the $700+ billion pork chop, which was unconstitutional, unwise, and unjust in so many ways; and he didn’t even vote on the Clean [non-]Energy Act of 2007.
Beyond said things, sure, I suppose someone could attempt to make an argument for the “conservative” McCain… Anyone else smell what I’m steppin’ in here?

Send_Me on October 7, 2008 at 1:38 PM