Video: Palin introduced by president of LA chapter of … NOW?

posted at 11:18 am on October 5, 2008 by Allahpundit

Ace was there, as were 15-20,000 other people. The highlight? The ‘Cuda quoting Madeleine Albright off the back of a Starbucks coffee cup as saying, “There’s a place in Hell reserved for women who don’t support other women.” Or almost quoting: A photo of the cup at HuffPo shows the operative word is “help,” not “support.” Whatevs. She aimed for the center of the identity politics bullseye and hit the innermost ring instead. This one’s for you, Heather MacDonald!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Style points:

Nice to hear some AC/DC in these vids, but how long until they start complaining about their music used like this, even if it isn’t Maverick’s team doing it? Solution: use some Ted Nugent stuff, he won’t mind.

Aim for the bullseye and hit the innermost ring?! The inner ring is the bullseye. Just miss and you’ve hit the 10 ring.

postaldog on October 5, 2008 at 3:46 PM

I was at this rally, and it was awesome!
Bruin Republicans were out in force!

ivybelle1 on October 5, 2008 at 4:01 PM

WOW… What a crowd.. Woo Hoo

reshas1 on October 5, 2008 at 4:31 PM

The Brady factor. The Hillary factor. John McCain can be down 5 points in the polls on Nov 4th and still win. csdeven on October 5, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Polling is better now. The Bradley factor should be a non-factor. I’m worried but at least we can rock and roll till November. Who knows? President Gore has a lot to say about polling data, heh.

Mojave Mark on October 5, 2008 at 5:07 PM

If you wouldn’t consider voting for Sen. Obama, you are a racist. If he doesn’t win in November (please, God) then a bunch of us are racists. I’ve been called worse by better people so I will learn to just live with it. Better than being called a citizen of a socialist nation.

Cindy Munford on October 5, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Sarah is a Rock Star!!!!

She makes my heart skip a beat. And it ain’t cause she’s cute. It’s cause she goes for the jugular like a wolverine to its prey!!!!

Git ‘em, SarahCuda! Git every one of ‘em who put our country in jeopardy. She puts MY Country first!

Subsunk

Subsunk on October 5, 2008 at 5:14 PM

I was there and it was awesome. 20,000 in the heart of Dem land. Not bad.

baldilocks on October 5, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Latest talking point- she “misquoted” Albright who said help not support.

I wonder what the starbucks cup said.

h0mi on October 5, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Biden would have got that one right…

rhodeymark on October 5, 2008 at 6:47 PM

I finally watched the video. Once again, I teared up. I’m in that same age group who participated in the growing acceptance of female athletes, and the job market for women was still opening up as I graduated college in ’79. I don’t vote on emotions–I was going to vote for the Republican ticket anyway, but I didn’t expect to become so emotionally affected by the little governor from the big state. That NOW gal was terrific.

juliesa on October 5, 2008 at 10:11 PM

It’s nice to see enthusiastic crowds for Sarah Palin, but why is she in California? Wouldn’t she be more useful in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, or Virginia? Does McCain really think he can win California???

Steve Z on October 6, 2008 at 12:09 AM

The AC/DC wasn’t dubbed into the YouTube video, it was actually playing at the event. You can hear it in the background if you watch the video of abc’s coverage, available in the link above with the text “15-20,000 other people”. Put the volume up high and listen with the headphones. Awesome.

Godzilla on October 6, 2008 at 1:47 AM

Ronald Reagan won California. It can happen.

A crowd of 15,000 in any state only reaches 15,000 unless the media grows the audience by talking it up. Having a chapter President of NOW give an intro might increase the buzz

Ar this stage, the press has decided to report as little on Palin as possible because of her charisma. It is too late to try to spread influence by making speeches in any city, unless the speech becomes a topic in the MSM

Does Palin’s husband have any Yup’ik kin? That is a great subject for public consumption. According to Wikipedia, his mother is one quarter Yup’ik. They are the most numerous Eslimo people yet they number only 24,000 in the United States. He ought to take a member of the press around his Alaska turf to give Americans a physical idea of the Palin background. I bet a lot of people would watch.

I advise Palin to fly to Michigan, visit one city for a couple hours and make a short speech about not given up on Michigan. Invite the top 10 Michigan organizers to accompany her, but skip the rubber chicken reward dinner for contributors and go to a factory that is welcoming. Do not allow the local pols or party suck ups to get millions of invitations and crowd out the workers. (If that happens, change the venue) Make the speech in front of the workers and the ten big shots. Do not go near the former GOP candidate for governor. Palin will get publicity because of the talk about giving up. If she handles it right, and she will, she can generate good buzz. Bring an Alaska themed photo to sign for workers. Palin and a sled dog?

Hire me to produce ideas. I work for peanuts. I will work for a bag of pecans in the shell. I would also accept a pair of snowshoes. Or just give me an email address and I will start cranking ideas. Someone has to.

She has the moxie to make the campaign move if they can get her in front of cameras.
Make it a State to State. Alaska to Michigan handshake of Good Will.

No one likes a quitter

entagor on October 6, 2008 at 2:27 AM

California is now a battleground state! No, I’m just dreaming.

promachus on October 6, 2008 at 2:43 AM

It is so over for beta male bloggers… stick a fork in their bullseye…. they are so done!!!

Mcguyver on October 6, 2008 at 2:43 AM

Hey, I am still gasping at the shoes Sarah wore for her Omaha rally! I don’t think any female politician wore them before.

promachus on October 6, 2008 at 2:48 AM

I was there and it was awesome. 20,000 in the heart of Dem land. Not bad.

baldilocks on October 5, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Most people, not from So.Cal misses the point of where Carson is, and the demographics…hardly a more democrat inclined location.
I envy you, it must have been awesome.
And for those who think she should have been in Ohio or elsewhere, this woman carries a lot of weight, authority, respect in the feminists community. Basically anyone who attacks Palin as not being a feminist has to go up against the feminists of all feminists, this is a national event held locally…just a few miles from Hollywood, where this leader is royalty.

right2bright on October 6, 2008 at 9:19 AM

Since when do we care what NOW says?

Or is this a case of the enemy of my enemy is my friend?

420sniper on October 5, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Feminists are and have always been welcome in the Republican party…it is the socialist doctrine, the subversive part of their agenda that is not welcome.
Feminists are now beginning to realize that you can be pro-life and pro-abortion, that is not what makes a feminist. They (because of Tammy Bruce and others) are moving away from the political definition, and moving back to the social definition where it all began.

right2bright on October 6, 2008 at 9:24 AM

I was at last month’s Fairfax, VA rally for McCain/Palin (another 20,000+ in the middle of a weekday) and they also had a PUMA intro Sarah.

This PUMA was ON FIRE with her disgust at how the media and Barry Chicago machine took down Hillary and was wildly for McCain who had sat down with them in a meeting to hear their concerns.

If they can help McCain win and take back our country I’m all for it.

Let’s roll.

ex-Democrat on October 6, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Plenty of recriminations to go all around. That chapter will have a different president pretty soon. Oh well.

Is it too late to make a switcheroo on the ticket?

spmat on October 6, 2008 at 12:51 PM

I was at this rally, it was AWESOME!!!!! I have never been to a political rally before, but if this is what it’s like, I’ll be going to plenty more!!

One small note though, I lost my camera at the rally. If you were there, you probably saw me holding a sign, asking “Did you find my camera?” Thousands of people read it, but NOBODY turned in my camera. It was very disappointing, because in SoCal, I would have thought that the first time I was surrounded by 10,000 people who were either Republicans or like-minded individuals, would have been the safest event to lose ANY object, and it would have been turned in, but sadly, not so much. It made me realize that we have a lot to keep fighting for, because I want to live in a world where like-minded people don’t steal from each other, or at least have the common decency to return lost or stolen stuff.

Either way, it was overall the BEST damn day since I have lived here in SoCal, so I will let it go, but goodness gracious, who woulda thunk it?

Califemme on October 6, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Steve Z on October 6, 2008 at 12:09 AM

you are not going to believe this, but I volunteer at the Republican Headquarters in West Los Angeles, and I SWEAR to you all, the campaign people running the place honestly believe that McCain WILL take CA!! I promise, I looked right in their faces, and sure enough, these were not liars, they REALLy believe this to be true!! Go figure, huh? THAT would be AWESOME beyond belief, and when I am in there I meet PUMAs ALL DAY LONG…

Califemme on October 6, 2008 at 1:36 PM

I’m glad that Heather McDonald has the courage to stand with her convictions. I may not agree with her on many things, but at least she isn’t a hypocrite like so many other members of NOW.

PersonalLiberty on October 6, 2008 at 3:24 PM

The lady from NOW was there on her own behalf… she specifically said she wasn’t there representing the organization. Even though she got a much better reception than one of ours would have gotten from a correspondingly Democrat crowd, I thought it took a lot of courage for her to get up there and say what she said. Especially when you consider the hell she’s going to catch from her own side.

When she said “I don’t agree with a lot of her positions” people started to boo. But what you probably can’t hear from the video: there were lots of people responding “keep it cool, be respectful” to the boo-ers. Made me proud.

JackOfClubs on October 6, 2008 at 4:05 PM