You can find anything you want — except Katie’s Restaurant

posted at 12:10 pm on October 3, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

One of the more tiresome habits politicians have is to inject personal anecdotes into answers on economic questions as a way of avoiding discussion of real data.  Both sides do it, although usually this happens when one side wants to make things look worse than they are by noting that someone, somewhere is suffering.  It helps when that someone, somewhere actually exists — as Joe Biden is discovering this morning.  In the debate last night, Biden referenced a Katie’s Restaurant in Wilmington as an example of how bad the Bush economic policies have been:

PALIN: So that people there can understand how the average working class family is viewing bureaucracy in the federal government and Congress and inaction of Congress.

Just everyday working class Americans saying, you know, government, just get out of my way. If you’re going to do any harm and mandate more things on me and take more of my money and income tax and business taxes, you’re going to have a choice in just a few weeks here on either supporting a ticket that wants to create jobs and bolster our economy and win the war or you’re going to be supporting a ticket that wants to increase taxes, which ultimately kills jobs, and is going to hurt our economy.

BIDEN: Can I respond? Look, all you have to do is go down Union Street with me in Wilmington or go to Katie’s Restaurant or walk into Home Depot with me where I spend a lot of time and you ask anybody in there whether or not the economic and foreign policy of this administration has made them better off in the last eight years. And then ask them whether there’s a single major initiative that John McCain differs with the president on. On taxes, on Iraq, on Afghanistan, on the whole question of how to help education, on the dealing with health care.

Look, the people in my neighborhood, they get it. They get it. They know they’ve been getting the short end of the stick. So walk with me in my neighborhood, go back to my old neighborhood in Claymont, an old steel town or go up to Scranton with me. These people know the middle class has gotten the short end. The wealthy have done very well. Corporate America has been rewarded. It’s time we change it. Barack Obama will change it.

Maybe Biden doesn’t get around in his neighborhood very often.  Curtis Sliwa of WABC called around Wilmington this morning to find Katie’s Restaurant, only to discover that it went out of business — during the Clinton Administration:

Try as he might, Biden just doesn’t come across as a “man of the people”.  He looks and acts patrician despite his blue-collar roots.  This is a perfect demonstration of that.  Sliwa had a lot of fun calling Home Depot locations in the Wilmington area and asking whether or not they’ve seen Biden (they haven’t), but the fact that Katie’s has been closed for 15 years and Biden didn’t know it shows that Biden has no clue about “his neighborhood” or what people go through there.

By contrast, Sarah Palin doesn’t have to work at being authentic.  She has a natural authenticity that shines in every appearance she makes.  She worked her way through local politics, starting with the city council, all the way to the governor’s office of Alaska, unlike Biden, who ran for Senate three years after getting his law license.  Palin knows and understands Main Street in Wasilla and Juneau, while Biden doesn’t even know that one of his restaurants stopped operating during the first Clinton term.

Epic fail on authenticity, Senator.  And next time, stop in at Kozy Korner.  They seem to be doing well.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Haha! I wondering about that. I also wonder about Obama speaking out against subprime mortgages two years ago.

carbon_footprint on October 3, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Factcheck has up its ‘fact checking’, ignoring all the huge whoppers Biden told last night. http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/factchecking_biden-palin_debate.html

jp on October 3, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Hahahaha!

Perfect.

Mr. Bingley on October 3, 2008 at 12:14 PM

That’s 15 lies. Where’s the MSM with this COLOSSAL gaffe? Saying how in touch he is with Main Street, yet Katie’s has been out of business since the CLINTON ADMINISTRATION????

marklmail on October 3, 2008 at 12:15 PM

No – it was Matie’s in Bilmington, dummies.

Akzed on October 3, 2008 at 12:15 PM

BWHAHAHAHAHA!

WisCon on October 3, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Maybe Biden doesn’t get around in his neighborhood very often.

Lay off Joe. He made this mistake because he’s spending all that time at Home Depot.

BuckeyeSam on October 3, 2008 at 12:16 PM

And went out of business the last time we had a Dem as President…

Maybe Joe oughta take a look at that little co inky dink.

Romeo13 on October 3, 2008 at 12:16 PM

A little petty, if you ask me.

lorien1973 on October 3, 2008 at 12:16 PM

I haven’t been to Wilmington in years, and I wouldn’t be surprised if I could find my way around better than Biden.

And there are many businesses booming, especially in Delaware. Maybe if he spent a little more time in his state, he’d know this.

Anna on October 3, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Did anyone else notice that gruff, but lovable Joe looked like he had a spray tan last night?

carbon_footprint on October 3, 2008 at 12:18 PM

I want video of Sen. Biden in Home Depot.

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Sliwa should have the Imus slot.

D0WNT0WN on October 3, 2008 at 12:18 PM

or walk into Home Depot with me where I spend a lot of time

My BF and I laughed at this. I bet he doesn’t even know where a Home Depot is! And Biden walking into one just floors me… I doubt he ever has done anything like that.

upinak on October 3, 2008 at 12:19 PM

A little petty, if you ask me.

lorien1973 on October 3, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Perhaps, but if it had been Governor Palin saying something similar about Norma’s Cafe in Anchorage and Norma’s has been closed for 15 years, we would have a 24 hour news cycle about it.

carbon_footprint on October 3, 2008 at 12:19 PM

I want video of Sen. Biden in Home Depot.

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2008 at 12:18 PM

We should do a goodle/map quest on where Joe live compared to where a home depot is.

upinak on October 3, 2008 at 12:20 PM

carbon_footprint on October 3, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Norm’s cafe …. nope never heard of one.

upinak on October 3, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Bwahahahaha! You know, when Biden threw out the Katie’s restaurant thing, I wondered about the accuracy of it.
Why am I not surprised?
The guy is SUCH an out of touch putz!
Bravo to the folks who tracked this info down! We need more accountability of these stupid off the cuff comments. These guys think no one’s going to do any follow up!
Awesome!

Badger40 on October 3, 2008 at 12:22 PM

carbon_footprint on October 3, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Yea I want a fact check on that one. I was saying “bullsh*t” everytime Biden said Obama spoke out against subprime mortgages. Primarily because I never heard of it and I figure Obama would have been cramming this factoid down our throats every chance he got.

HawaiiLwyr on October 3, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Just think, he missed an opportunity to give some little Mom and Pop place in his area some free publicity but nooooo, he had to make stuff up. Unhelpful.

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Comedy gold.

Buy Danish on October 3, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Factcheck.org takes submission requests.

…just saying.

Asher on October 3, 2008 at 12:24 PM

HawaiiLwyr on October 3, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Well doesn’t C-Span have taped items from the floor? Can’t we ask for those? Which I doubt exsist, because being present isn’t going to get you anywhere.

upinak on October 3, 2008 at 12:24 PM

MICHAEL MEDVED on Joe Biden’s “BLUE COLLAR” roots:

And Obama’s BANK PRESIDENT GRANDMOTHER

originalpechanga on October 3, 2008 at 12:24 PM

carbon_footprint on October 3, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Yeah, I want to hear more about these Obama warnings. As I understood things, the only mortgage that Obama was worried about two or three years ago was his own below-market loan mortgage from Northern Trust in Chicago–for the $1.65M house that the seller miraculously knocked $300K off the selling price in a seller’s market. For that matter, Biden brought up his own home, and he bought his lot from a contributor for what the contributor paid five years before.

Exit question: should the Obama-Biden ticket drop out and volunteer to work in a newly created McCain administration agency along with Barney Frank and Chris Dodd where they’ll advise Americans about how to negotiate substantial reductions in the asking prices for homes, below-market loans, and subprime loans?

BuckeyeSam on October 3, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Norm’s cafe …. nope never heard of one.

upinak on October 3, 2008 at 12:21 PM

It was hypothetical. : )

carbon_footprint on October 3, 2008 at 12:25 PM

From another poster on another thread:

Uh-oh. CNN changes transcript for debate. Most trusted name in business, Yeah right??!??

ConservativePartyNow on October 3, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Thought it might help.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on October 3, 2008 at 12:25 PM

jp on October 3, 2008 at 12:12 PM

They’re worthless anymore. They seemed to be ok during the 2004 race, but this one they are totally in the tank for Obama.

thirteen28 on October 3, 2008 at 12:27 PM

It was hypothetical. : )

carbon_footprint on October 3, 2008 at 12:25 PM

True, but Anchorage, Wasilla, Palmer, and Girdwood are still pretty small. People know where the little eat’s are.

I was bummed when I found out my favorite place for breakfast closed.

upinak on October 3, 2008 at 12:28 PM

What is Joe’s favorite aisle at the Home Depot? The adhesives or the paint? From listening to him, he must be huffing something. Does anyone even believe that he has ever darkened the door of the Home Depot. He hangs out with a lot of tools, but not the ones you can buy at a home improvement store.

uhsooner on October 3, 2008 at 12:29 PM

jp on October 3, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Someone at RNC needs to put up a “Fact Check On Fact Check” web site to expose this Soros front.

Right_of_Attila on October 3, 2008 at 12:29 PM

I heard Curtis’ show this morning. He also called all the Home Depots’ around the Willmington area and they never seen Biden.

jencab on October 3, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Look, all you have to do is go down Union Street with me in Wilmington …

Yeah, follow me to the bluest city in my blue state and speak to the bluest voters in Delaware, right Joe? Palin could just as easily have said “Talk to the people of MY state and they’ll say …”

I live an hour away from Wilmington, been there many times, it’s a typical high crime blue city in a blue state, they keep voting for the same democrat mayors and governors and then blame the Pubbie president when things keep on getting worse there.

Tony737 on October 3, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Did anybody else hear this last night? I swear that Biden, talking about the housing crisis, said that not only interest payments should be renegotiated, but also the principal amount.. Did I really heat that? He wants to be able to reduce principal? where in the hell did he come up with that one? Bad enough changing an agreed upon rate, but now the original selling price, assuming a 100% loan. Incredibly foolish.

redshirt on October 3, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Try as he might, Biden just doesn’t come across as a “man of the people”. He looks and acts patrician despite his blue-collar roots.

Biden may have grown up in a blue collar neighborhood, but it’s a myth that he had blue-collar roots. His father was very wealthy as a young man – polo player, yachts, the whole bit, and later lost his money.

Buy Danish on October 3, 2008 at 12:31 PM

I was bummed when I found out my favorite place for breakfast closed.

upinak on October 3, 2008 at 12:28 PM

What! I’m shocked. I thought everyone up and over there, killed and ate the own food, and not go to some “prissy” restaurant.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on October 3, 2008 at 12:33 PM

“I have a bracelet, too, John. And Joe knows a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who used to own a restaurant.”

Mr_Magoo on October 3, 2008 at 12:34 PM

redshirt on October 3, 2008 at 12:31 PM

He actually said something to that effect; there were several WTF’s on the thread when he said it.

carbon_footprint on October 3, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Ooops, I see the Legend of Biden’s Blue Collar Roots was covered by originalpechanga.

Buy Danish on October 3, 2008 at 12:34 PM

redshirt on October 3, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Yeah I heard something like that. But he was stammering and it sounded like he was slurring at time, I wasn’t able to fully understand what he was talking about.

He did say Bosniac’s.. come on!

upinak on October 3, 2008 at 12:34 PM

I was bummed when I found out my favorite place for breakfast closed. – UpInAK

That’s too bad.

The mom n’ pop’s pizza joint I grew up on is still there after all this time. Sal’s in Turnersville, N.J. I went in there and told the bossman (Sal’s nephew) that the pizza was just as good now as it was the last time I was there, 18 years ago, before I went to join thr USAF. HotHeads, if you’re ever in T-ville, NJ, go to Sal’s, it’s the best pizza you’ll ever eat!

Tony737 on October 3, 2008 at 12:35 PM

1GooDDaDDy on October 3, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Well Good, you have to not kill chickens for the eggs… you know the deal!

upinak on October 3, 2008 at 12:35 PM

lorien1973

Petty, I agree.

Grow Fins on October 3, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Home Depot Financial Dept.

Dear Mr. Biden,

Home Depot can no longer extend credit to you because you contine to make your checks to us payable to Katie’s Restaurant.

p.s. We have a sale on seat cusions. We understand your butt was kicked last night.

Rovin on October 3, 2008 at 12:37 PM

upinak on October 3, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Well, cluck me dead.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on October 3, 2008 at 12:37 PM

By contrast, Sarah Palin doesn’t have to work at being authentic. She has a natural authenticity that shines in every appearance she makes.

The first thing that impressed me about her performance last night was the way she IMMEDIATELY asked Biden if she could call him “Joe” while they were still shaking hands.

highhopes on October 3, 2008 at 12:38 PM

upinak on October 3, 2008 at 12:28 PM

So which bar is most like the one in “Northern Exposure”?

Right_of_Attila on October 3, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Obama did introduce a bill on mortgage fraud in 2006. I was a mortgage lobbyist at the time and noted it in my reports. But it got only a few consponsors and was never heard in the Banking Committee, and I never saw Obama do a thing to promote it. Hillary Clinton, Chuck Schumer, Dick Durbin, and numerous House members also introduced bills about subprime lending in this Congress. Congressmen introduce thousands of bills every year that go nowhere.

It’s ridiculous to give Obama credit for merely introducing a bill. By this measure, John McCain should be elected President because he introduced bills to “reform our immigration system” and “stop global warming.” This is a typical tactic for a backbench legislator to look like he has done something on an important issue when he hasn’t.

rockmom on October 3, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Tony737 on October 3, 2008 at 12:35 PM

it was called Hog Heaven… pork, eggs, bacon and anything that could be covered and smothered in gravy. I always got the hog trough…. eggs, potatoes, sausage, veggies, cheddar cheese, smother in sausage gravy and given to you in a freaking meat loaf pan. It was good, but greasy. The whole resturant had pigs all over the place. Was a neat little greasy spoon.

upinak on October 3, 2008 at 12:38 PM

This is hilarious and should be made into a political add THIS AFTERNOON. Show Biden’s statements from the debate then show that Katie’s closed down 15 YEARS AGO.

Then end it with “If he has to lie/mislead on the little issues like this what about the BIG issues?”

C-Low on October 3, 2008 at 12:39 PM

What is Joe’s favorite aisle at the Home Depot?

The one with all the mirrors, of course.

highhopes on October 3, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Right_of_Attila on October 3, 2008 at 12:38 PM

You are kidding right?

I never watched Northern Exposure… it was dumb, made in Washington and people thought it was real. Tourist kept asking how to get to Nome. I said fly… they actually thought there was a bus and a road to Nome.

upinak on October 3, 2008 at 12:40 PM

The whole resturant had pigs all over the place. – UpInAK

That sounds like the perfect place to eat and not worry about islamic suicide bombers! haha

On the other hand, they’re probably outta business because CAIR sued them for being offensive to muslims.

Tony737 on October 3, 2008 at 12:41 PM

Facts like this don’t matter. Biden will simply claim that the Bush administration was already screwing up the economy even before they took office. For good measure, Biden might even produce a grainy photo of a Rove-like figure exiting Katie’s hours before the place closed down.

highhopes on October 3, 2008 at 12:42 PM

rockmom on October 3, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Would his legislation have made a difference? It wouldn’t change my vote but it would be nice to know that he at least recognized that there was a problem.

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2008 at 12:43 PM

I said fly… they actually thought there was a bus and a road to Nome.

upinak on October 3, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Ahhhh…there’s not?

I thought “all roads lead to Nome”.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on October 3, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Why the h*ll is Governor Palin being questioned about being a heart beat away from the Presidency?

Joe Biden ia a SERIAL LIAR for pete’s sake….this is presidential? He’s straight out of a David Zucker movie.

ex-Democrat on October 3, 2008 at 12:45 PM

highhopes on October 3, 2008 at 12:38 PM

I think that struck a stark contrast to Obama calling McCain “John” so much in their debate, but I don’t recall him asking if he could. A little different, I know, because Obama and McCain are colleagues in the Senate, but still quite a contrast with Sarah.

Brat on October 3, 2008 at 12:46 PM

I never watched Northern Exposure… it was dumb, made in Washington and people thought it was real. Tourist kept asking how to get to Nome. – UpInAK

Good Lord! People can be pretty stupid. Just like when obama thought ‘North By Northwest’ was REALLY filmed at the top of Mt. Rushmore! haha

Tony737 on October 3, 2008 at 12:46 PM

I was talking with a very rich friend of mine the other day at Katie’s Restaurant, where I am all the time, and this very rich friend was urging me to raise taxes so he could make some real money and help out his daughter, who had to sit on a stack of brand new computers on the first day of school because the school’s so crowded and underfunded. And then I had a flashback to the time Hillary and I were dodging sniper fire in Bosniraq and in a post-traumatic panic I dove under the table. My very rich friend said, “Joe, what are you doing under there?” I told him I was just looking for empty cans to recycle to help an old woman in Iowa I know pay for her prescriptions.

saint kansas on October 3, 2008 at 12:46 PM

By the way, Ed, I like the Billy Joel reference :-)

Tony737 on October 3, 2008 at 12:48 PM

I was bummed when I found out my favorite place for breakfast closed.

I blame the failed policies of the Bush administration.

/pelosi

I never watched Northern Exposure… it was dumb

But it did star Janine Turner, yet another Certified Hot Conservative Woman and spokeswoman for “Team Sarah.” Damn, we conservatives have an embarrassment of hotties on our team.

saint kansas on October 3, 2008 at 12:54 PM

redshirt

I heard him say “principle” also. I believe the dems are trying to allow judges to re-negotiate the loan? I assume they would attempt to lower the original loan amount to the new reduced market value?

luckybogey on October 3, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Didn’t those dumpster divers find that Sarah Palin was single-handedly responsible for bringing those evil box stores to Wasilla? I’d think he’d avoid Home Depot and rather go to XXXXX’s Hardware to find out what’s up with his neighborhood.

hoosiermama on October 3, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Ahhhh…there’s not?

I thought “all roads lead to Nome”.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on October 3, 2008 at 12:43 PM

I heard too that Nome wasn’t built in a day–but I’ll bet Sarah helped.

hoosiermama on October 3, 2008 at 12:58 PM

He’s a friggin’ SENATOR. He doesn’t have to only speak out against subprime mortgages, he can also submit legislation. Don’t tell me what he said, tell me what he DID.

Just words …

PackerBronco on October 3, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Sarah asking him in the beginning if it was ok to call him “Joe” was a setup for the later line “Say it ain’t so Joe”. If she had not asked, the MSM would have said it was disrespectful to a Senator. I also believe it was a way to get him to lower his guard. He never saw it coming nor adjusted.

luckybogey on October 3, 2008 at 1:05 PM

This is up there with FDR being president in 1929 and went on TV to talk to the people in the midst of the depression. That begs the obvious question: if FDR talks on tv but nobody had tv sets, did anyone hear him talk??

And then we can’t forget Obambi’s: I was born as a result of the Selma March in 1965… but of course Obambi was born in 1961. Or did he go through the time tunnel only the Messiah can??? :)

poxoma on October 3, 2008 at 1:07 PM

What Biden said is ambiguous as to whether “Katie’s Restaurant” is located in Wilmington. He could have been talking about a “Katie’s Restaurant” anywhere, just like the Home Depot could be anywhere.

daryl_herbert on October 3, 2008 at 1:09 PM

He probably remembers Katie’s Restaurant from his presidential bid…

doubleplusundead on October 3, 2008 at 1:13 PM

daryl_herbert on October 3, 2008 at 1:09 PM

So it’s like what I wrote about Joe Blow’s: “This is up there with FDR being president in 1929 and went on TV to talk to the people in the midst of the depression.”

With you logic, FDR can be anyone with that initials; 1929 could have been any year; the depression could have been any economic period, and tv could simply be radio. :(

poxoma on October 3, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Or he could have meant Wilmington, North Carolina, or K-Ts Restaurant or Holmes D-Pole.

Who are you really, Gwen Iffel?

fogw on October 3, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Joe Biden= automatic gaff machine!!!!

grapeknutz on October 3, 2008 at 1:52 PM

You are kidding right?

upinak on October 3, 2008 at 12:40 PM

I was going to ask what complains you had about the show, too.

Count to 10 on October 3, 2008 at 1:53 PM

A little petty, if you ask me.

lorien1973 on October 3, 2008 at 12:16 PM

What is? Joe Biden referencing a restaurant that went out of business during the reign of a Democrat as President? I agree! Indicating that Democrats ruin the economy for everyday people is just taking things a little too far! Joe Biden should apologize immediately for being so insensitive and out of touch with the people from his hometown that he insulted in a public debate!

dominigan on October 3, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Biden rebuttal: Even if Katie’s Restaurant went out of business in 1993, the people were complaining about the Bush Administration back then. The father, not the son.

Maybe Katie’s Restaurant is a code word for Ms. Couric.

Steve Z on October 3, 2008 at 2:01 PM

And if Biden were the Republican candidate, the MSM would be all over the investigation to determine if he owned a truck with which to haul real supplies from a Home Depot…

dominigan on October 3, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Forgetfulness and old age?

Hmmmmm.

madmonkphotog on October 3, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Who are the people in your neighborhood?
In your neighborhood.
In your neighborhoOOd.

Sefton on October 3, 2008 at 2:17 PM

A little petty, if you ask me.

lorien1973 on October 3, 2008 at 12:16 PM

A big part of Biden’s schtick is his hometown, neighborhood, how-I-love-the-little-guy-and-you-can-find-me-at-the-diner-on-the-corner personna. If he’s going to push stuff like this, he ought to know what the heck he’s talking about.

But yeah, let’s cut old Joe some slack, ’cause lord knows Sarah Palin has gotten so much.

And as someone else

capitalist piglet on October 3, 2008 at 2:28 PM

I got cut off. : )

And as someone else pointed out, if Palin had said this, just like with the FDR gaffe, we would NEVER have heard the end of it.

capitalist piglet on October 3, 2008 at 2:29 PM

lorien1973
Petty, I agree.

Grow Fins on October 3, 2008 at 12:36 PM

What an impeccably unbiased site. LOL

hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Most people don’t read these blogs or listen to that radio show. I would hardly call it an “epic fail”.

More like, “Good one, Joe.”

DaveS on October 3, 2008 at 2:48 PM

I think it’s about time in this modern age that we use all the technology available to us and have a team of maybe three fact checkers right there in the studio verifying presumed facts as they’re rolling out of the candidate’s mouth. Then pop-up a little blurb “on-screen” either concurring that it is fact, or fiction. There’s plenty of time while the candidates bloviate to research and post. We sure wouldn’t have to guess anymore who won the debate…

stacman on October 3, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Biden used the conjunctive AND not the disjunctive OR. He thus said go to Katie’s Restaurant on Union Street. Curtis Sliwa actually called up both the Home Depot and Kozy Corner, which is on Union Street and 9th in Wilmington Delaware. Home Depot manager said no one has seen Biden in the past two years he’s been manager. Kozy Corner (could be Korner) said that Katies Restaurant had been closed since this restaurant opened, at least fifteen years, and it was not located on Union Street but Scott Street. He did however state that the Bidens are regular customers of Kozy Korner.

eaglewingz08 on October 3, 2008 at 3:17 PM

I am sure that Sarah has been to a Home Depot more that Biden ever (if ever) has (there is one in Juneau, three in Anchorage and even one in Wasilla). A friend of the Palins’ was talking to Greta on Fox and mentioned how he helped build a cabin with them, so not only do they go to Home Depot, they know what to do with the stuff that is sold there. Biden has been in the senate too long to relate to normal Americans. Sarah relates more and does not come across condescending. I even noticed in some pictures put out of behind the scenes before McCain announced her as his VP, she was sitting at a table with her kids and had some baby wipes on the table – wipes that many moms of babies would have recognized – from Costco (there’s one in Juneau and two in Anchorage). I doubt Biden’s ever been to a Costco either. Sarah did awesome in the debate last night and handed Biden is lunch.

aggie13 on October 3, 2008 at 3:25 PM

. . . Kozy Corner (could be Korner) said that Katies Restaurant had been closed since this restaurant opened, at least fifteen years, and it was not located on Union Street but Scott Street. He did however state that the Bidens are regular customers of Kozy Korner.

eaglewingz08 on October 3, 2008 at 3:17 PM

And Kozy Korner’s Nick said, generously, that the Senator could have just misspoken, saying Katie’s when he meant Kozy. It would be foolish to make too big a deal of this, since Nick says the Bidens are in frequently.

MrLynn on October 3, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Take a look at this Joe Biden quote:

BIDEN: Well Gwen, where I come from, it’s called fairness, just simple fairness. The middle class is struggling. The middle class under John McCain’s tax proposal, 100 million families, middle class families, households to be precise, they got not a single change, they got not a single break in taxes.

Now let us think about 100 million families. There are just over 305 million PEOPLE in the U.S. right now. If average family size is 3 this figure of Joe’s covers the entire U.S. population, and there certainly aren’t 100 million middle income families as Joe seems to be stating.

Buford on October 3, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Corporate America has been rewarded.

You mean like with this massive new financial corporate welfare package you just helped pass?
/#$%^&*

urbancenturion on October 3, 2008 at 3:55 PM

My very first thought when he mentioned “Katie’s Restaurant” is that there is probably no such thing.

And all that time he spends in Home Depot? Riiiiight.

Grafted on October 3, 2008 at 5:14 PM