Palin: Permit me to inform you of some Supreme Court decisions with which I disagree

posted at 4:45 pm on October 3, 2008 by Allahpundit

Sounds like she prepped just in case Ifill decided to sandbag her by revisiting one of her Couric lowlights. As it is, she seems almost eager to show how many cases she can rattle off. Three good ones: The child-rape death penalty travesty to which even The One objected, the Exxon Valdez decision which she sort of has to name since she’s already on record as objecting to it, and a third that’ll make the hearts of rock-ribbed conservatives everywhere leap. Exit quotation: “I’m accessible. And now that the debate is over … the wings are flying here. Let’s soar, let’s get out there and speak to voters and let them know what their choices are.” Has the ‘Cuda been freed?

Update: “Imminent” domain?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Along with that other post, why don’t you all tell me your wonderful eloquent Senator and House of Representatives names for the GOP. How are they working out for you, eh? Proud of them all aren’t you?

I have the lovely an eloquent trifecta of Senators Barbara Boxer and Diana Feinstein, and the lovely Representative Mary Bono. These lovely ladies speak quite good english but I guarantee they are no where near as smart as Sarah by any stretch of my imagination. I’ve meet Mary face-to-face and she’s as empty suited as my Senators and Senator Obama. She couldn’t answer a single one of my questions directly and gets her talking points from the staff she surrounds herself with, as I suspect all of these other people do. I find it fascinating that when Sarah answers without handlers she does a much better job. Go figure. *shrug* You people prefer your politicians spouting the right talking points most eloquently. You get what you pay for, you know people?

People in glass houses….

Sultry Beauty on October 3, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Can this Grue guy (I think) be banned?

This Effing *eats* thing is getting effing annoying as hell. I feel my nerd quotient go up every time I see one of his posts…I quit reading his posts to protect my non-nerdness but I see this *eats* sh!t about every 6 posts.

I say ban him, or limit him to 55 posts a day (about 1/8 his current output) or make him stop with the annoying *eats* sh!t.

And who knows, some tough love on this geeky dude will help him in the long run…we are enabling him with letting him get away with making HA his private nerd fest.

I also just had an realization that if McCain hasnt figured out to change his stupid view on ANWR at this point, its over. Its over anyway….even though Palin did well last night.

Roger Waters on October 3, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Roger Waters on October 3, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Hi to you too Rog. :)

Grue in the Attic on October 3, 2008 at 6:26 PM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Roger Waters on October 3, 2008 at 6:27 PM

Roger Waters on October 3, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Aren’t you a Democrat?

*sniffs and spits*

Sultry Beauty on October 3, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Wow…I don’t know whether to laugh at Sultry Beauty, agree with her or suggest medication. I can agree with a lot of what she said, but the big worm at the bottom of the bottle is this: “Along with all the little kiddies in Venice, CA. Obama’s going to save us from this nasty little virus.” I wonder what makes her think that Obama’s bug isn’t much more deadly, kinda like weaponized anthrax…Not even Reaganomics can survive that.
I don’t like McCain’s stand on a number of issues, but SB is really ‘out there’ with her delusional imagery and i can guess that she’s just green about Sarah, and i don’t mean environmentally friendly.

Christine on October 3, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Sarahcuda reads the Times!!!!!! Wwwwhhhyyyy?

malan89 on October 3, 2008 at 6:32 PM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Roger Waters on October 3, 2008 at 6:27 PM

To Rog With Love

Aren’t you a Democrat?

*sniffs and spits*

Sultry Beauty on October 3, 2008 at 6:28 PM

I’m not quite sure what he is… although “Liberal-leaning” would be about the most lenient I would guess at, given the way he’s quoted Liberal musicians’ lyrics to bash on conservative concepts in the past.

Grue in the Attic on October 3, 2008 at 6:36 PM

Roger Waters on October 3, 2008 at 6:27 PM

I find the *eats* very nostalgic and makes me pine for me ole TI994A.

What do you want to do?
>Hit monster with rubber chicken.

hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 6:51 PM

::munches::

bill30097 on October 3, 2008 at 6:51 PM

I find the *eats* very nostalgic and makes me pine for me ole TI994A.

What do you want to do?
>Hit monster with rubber chicken.

hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Predicted Roger Response:
“That’s because you’re a NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDD!!!”

Someone hasn’t learned yet that nerds run most of the businesses in this country. >:D

Grue in the Attic on October 3, 2008 at 6:53 PM

Roger Waters on October 3, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Whether you are liberal-leaning or conservative-leaning, your general point is sound. None of us here who don’t use our real names and don’t have ourselves accountable for our opinions are really doing any good. We sit here and chastise – and sometimes personally insult and demean – those who put their names to their opinions, yet most of us hide behind the anonymity of the internet and cute little fake online monikers.

Seriously, are our elected officials supposed to worry about what “AllahPundit” or “Grue in the Attic” or “Michael in MI” say in some online message board? Hardly. For all anyone knows, we are just some geeky 16-17 year olds who can’t even vote. So there’s no reason for anyone to take what we say seriously. Especially if we don’t even take ourselves seriously and simply hide behind fake online personas.

That said, I can understand why someone like “zombie” from zombietime wants to stay anonymous, because s/he does a lot of infiltrating of leftist rallies and such and doesn’t want to lose that access if their anonymity is compromised.

But for the rest of us, there is no reason to not go by our names, unless we are not fully proud and confident of our positions and are worried about any backlash.

I give kudos to those such as Charles Johnson and Ed Morrissey and Michelle Malkin and those at NRO and Jim Hoft (Gateway Pundit) and Bob Owens (Confederate Yankee) and Robert Spencer who put themselves out there in order for their work to be taken seriously.

Michael in MI on October 3, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Sarahcuda reads the Times!!!!!! Wwwwhhhyyyy?

malan89 on October 3, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Know your enemy.

Matt Helm on October 3, 2008 at 6:54 PM

What does *eats* even mean?

SteakRules on October 3, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Update: “Imminent” domain?

I thought she said petty.

James OK on October 3, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Roger Waters on October 3, 2008 at 6:27 PM

I suppose if I finished all of my posts with…

“All your base are belong to us!”

That would piss you off too.

hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Not true. Not only are there excellent ideas for anonymity (see Debbie Frish), but also there should be more weight to the message and not the identity that way.

Spirit of 1776 on October 3, 2008 at 6:58 PM

I spent most of today in downtown Los Angeles, tending to government business. At Starbucks for a quick breakfast, at a hyper-crowded local restaurant for lunch, in the halls of federal bureaucracy, in the bowels of the liberal beast, people all around me were talking about Sarah Palin. Strangers of diverse ethnicity and age making conversation to kill time asked me if I watched the debate. Every comment I heard without exception was favorable.

Mark my words, Palin made a big splash.

Terrie on October 3, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Sometimes we have to use handles though. I’m in the education field and I’m untenured. If I used my real name and my employers found out that I am politically conservative–I can literally lose my job. I have to support a family and–other than the having to deal with the leftist ideology that permeates my profession, I genuinely enjoy teaching–and yes, I do keep my politics out of the classroom–although I also feed my students little nuggets to get them to at least look at the conservative point of view–and very often I get a favorable response. You’d be surprised at how genuinely pleased students are to not have to deal with a teacher trying to indoctrinate them. But, I’m rambling as I often do. I shouldn’t have to feel the need to hide behind an alias–and one day hopefully I won’t have to anymore. But–for now–I do.

Matt Helm on October 3, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Spirit of 1776 on October 3, 2008 at 6:58 PM

I have some sympathy for that point. Point taken.

But how is what we do, going by fake names, any different than the mass media saying “an anoynmous source said…”? If it’s the message that matters, then we shouldn’t get upset about anonymous sources right?

I don’t see the difference between the NYT stating “an anonymous source at the Pentagon stated…” and some blogger stating “Spirit of 1776 in the comment section at HotAir stated…” See what I mean? Neither holds any credibility whatsoever, right?

Michael in MI on October 3, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Spirit of 1776 on October 3, 2008 at 6:58 PM

By the way, who is Debbie Frish? (Seriously, I don’t know who she is)

Michael in MI on October 3, 2008 at 7:03 PM

OMG, there was a piece of extreme slobbering liberal hate mongering. Nasty little critter. “Does he French kiss, tell all bro!”

Thanks, now I must go scrub my brain with Comet just for thinking about her”

hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 7:03 PM

What does *eats* even mean?

SteakRules on October 3, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Click my name.

Michael in MI on October 3, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Obviously, I DON’T take myself seriously. HotAir, to me, is a place to discuss my political viewpoint with people who see likewise… and while I may grumble and gripe and complain about the way politicians run things, I don’t honestly expect them to pay any attention. Heck, I’m surprised when someone like Rush or Hannity mentions HotAir on their show – and it’s happened once or twice, usually mentioning Ed in the process.

But mostly I’m here because I enjoy it. I would never want to do something like this for a living – as it is, just coming here as a hobby, I still get burnt out every few months and have to take a few weeks’ leave of absence. If I was actually doing this in a position such as Ed’s, then yeah maybe I would be going by my real name instead of by Grue. But I’m not, I’m merely a commentator, an anonymous face somewhere across the internet who claims to be a 23-year-old data entry coordinator for a company in Arizona, and although I don’t think I’ve given anyone reason to disbelieve that I suppose you’re free to do as you will.

My $0.02 from a self-proclaimed anonymous nerd, take it or leave it… :)

Grue in the Attic on October 3, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Mark my words, Palin made a big splash.

Terrie on October 3, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Optimism!! More! More!

darwin on October 3, 2008 at 7:05 PM

Michael in MI on October 3, 2008 at 7:02 PM

To me, the major difference is the former is rather commonly heard, while I have never heard (or read) anyone use the latter in a serious manner.

Grue in the Attic on October 3, 2008 at 7:07 PM

I have to use a handle because the stuff I say about my elected officials could get me in trouble with Article 88. Like coming to the internet in uniform.

hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Matt Helm on October 3, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Understood, Matt.

But this last statement I highlighted from you is exactly the problem. We shouldn’t have to hide behind aliases, but here we are doing it for fear of personal attacks from whomever, fear of our family suffering for it from personal attacks, fear of losing our jobs, etc. That should not be the case.

I was just talking about this with my coworkers yesterday after I sent them Ed Morrissey’s post regarding the Minnesota family who had their cars vandalized. I got a bunch of replies to my e-mail that I sent out to my list with people saying that situation was what worried them about putting anything conservative on their cars or in front of their house. They fear the backlash and the personal attacks in the way of ostracizing from friends coworkers or family or vandalizing attacks in the way of the car thing like in Minnesota.

I guess I can understand the need for anonymity in some cases, but I still believe that we in the blogosphere are not going to be taken seriously until we stop hiding (I’m including myself in this).

Michael in MI on October 3, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Grue in the Attic on October 3, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Right, because no one can use the latter in a serious manner. Which is frustrating to me, because I have learned a lot from posters on message boards here, on LGF, on Gateway Pundit, etc and do you know how ridiculous I feel trying to explain to a friend or family member or coworker that I got my info online from “Grue in the Attic” or “Spirit of 1776″? I find myself in that situation a lot when talking politics with coworkers. We’ll be talking about an issue and then I’ll be wanting to say “oh yeah I read that on Hot Air, ‘AllahPundit’ stated…”… and they’ll look at me like I am nuts and cut me off and say “wait wait, what? AllahPundit? Who or what the hell is that?” and I will lose all credibility, because they feel I am not passing along my info from a credible source.

As many times as people say “who the hell is ____ and why should I care what s/he says about Palin/McCain?” on here, the basic response anyone can give to me when I pass things along from HotAir, no matter the facts of the content of the post, is “who the hell is ‘AllahPundit’ and why should I care what he says about ___?”

See what I mean?

I simply think that the internet and blogs are not going to be taken more seriously than the mass media by the majority of people in this country until we all get past our anonymity and start putting ourselves out there.

Michael in MI on October 3, 2008 at 7:15 PM

If you were really interested.

She puts the oonba in moonbat!

hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 7:15 PM

hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 7:08 PM

I forgot to mention that I can understand the issue for those in the military, especially those on milblogs who are still active duty or reserve. But for the military, it is completely different, because the military takes away some freedoms (ie, not being allowed to publicly criticize elected officials.)

Michael in MI on October 3, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Yup

hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 7:19 PM

hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Ah, that’s right, the moonbat involved with harrassing the guy from Protein Wisdom. I vaguely remember the name now, though I can’t remember what the incident was all about. But now the name rings a bell. Thanks.

Michael in MI on October 3, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Michael in MI on October 3, 2008 at 7:15 PM

I guess the major difference between you and me is that I don’t talk politics offline. HotAir is really the only place I open up to political discourse. It’s never breached between my friends and I as we know it will only lead to bruised friendships, it’s a non-issue with most of my family and those it IS an issue with it’s much the same as with my liberal friends, and it’s not allowed to be discussed at work. So the problem of “Username X says….” never really comes up for me.

While in essence you’re right, until much stronger restrictions are placed (which would be a double-edged sword) or people are prevented from getting access to information in certain ways (also a two-headed problem) being non-anonymous is an extremely dangerous prospect for the average websurfer. Given a choice between being anonymous and safe from hackers, stalkers, and identity thieves or being non-anon and credible I think (for now) I’ll stick with the first.

Grue in the Attic on October 3, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Am I missing something? Anonymity on a blog doesn’t keep you from sharing your thoughts to an elected representative. This is just an arena of ideas and a place to learn with little import as to who you are. A lot of really good ideas and interesting information is here and as long as it is backed up with supporting links I fail to see the difference in whether you know the posters “real” name or not.

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Yeah, I was one of an original group of bloggers that followed a guys effort to alert all colleges and make sure she was never allowed to teach our children again. I’d say it ruined her life, but she is just so out there that for her it might just be another day in the neighborhood.

Teh Squeaky Wheel is the spin-off site. Nice people there. Great place to talk and give your brain a rest.

hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 7:23 PM

And does someone really want another poster banned because of their name? Why don’t we leave the banning to those in charge of the site, they are neither blind or stupid.

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2008 at 7:23 PM

PS:

“who the hell is ____ and why should I care what s/he says about Palin/McCain?”

With the possible exception of Ed, even if we here were all going by our real names I doubt the response would be much different. For the most part, we are nobodies – we are just average Americans, not likely many of us are well-known or notible. So the difference between filling that blank with an anonymous username or a real name of someone who is still a vague identifier at best is very small.

Grue in the Attic on October 3, 2008 at 7:24 PM

LOL Roger complaining about Grue is like Barney Frank complaining about Fannie Mae. It’s really the former who stinks to high heaven, no matter how out of control the latter may or may not be.

*lols*

BKennedy on October 3, 2008 at 7:25 PM

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2008 at 7:23 PM

I’m not exactly sure what Rog’s problem with me is, other than my “nerdiness”. Apparently, it’s contatious.

Grue in the Attic on October 3, 2008 at 7:25 PM

Contagious, even.

Grue in the Attic on October 3, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Michael in MI on October 3, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Why not just say that you read it on the Internet?

Grue in the Attic on October 3, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Why not just stop writing “eats” all the time?

Seriously, please stop.

Dorvillian on October 3, 2008 at 7:26 PM

I’ll tell you what. Some of the folks I lock horns with on the internet are pretty scary.

hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Grue in the Attic on October 3, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Hey, you guys that worry about posting under a pseudonym, tell me about it. I worked 25 years in Red China Washington, DC, where if they knew you were a conservative, you’d lose your clients, lose your job, lose your fist born child.

petefrt on October 3, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Eminent vs Imminent
or
(ěm’ə-nənt) vs (ĭm’ə-nənt)

Are they supposed to pronounced differently? No seriously. I was unaware that “ěm” has any detectable, audible difference to that of “ĭm”…

Kind of like saying “hymn” vs “him”

anuts on October 3, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Grue in the Attic on October 3, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Point taken.

And that is really our problem right now. We’re not going to be taken seriously unless we are out there like journalists and mass media members and people like Michelle Malkin and Ed Morrissey and the members of NRO, etc… however, we’re all afraid to put ourselves out there like that, because we’re afraid of ackjasses personally ruining our lives with some sort of online attack or digging into our personal info and hurting our personal lives (such as what people did to Sarah Palin digging into her family and hacking her e-mail).

That said, I have a lot of respect for anyone, right or left, who actually puts their name out there and publicly stands behind their opinions. They risk a lot of personal damage by doing that, yet they still do it. It would be much easier to just stay anonymous and not have their name dragged through the smear machine and insult machine on the internet.

Michael in MI on October 3, 2008 at 7:28 PM

petefrt on October 3, 2008 at 7:26 PM

I have a friend in one of the few hollywood conservatives and he said you are just not allowed to talk about your politics. If the moonbats talk about their, he says you just nod your head. He claims they are vicious in their blackballing.

hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Grue in the Attic on October 3, 2008 at 7:25 PM

Your name indicates nerdiness? Who knew? I thought the long involve posts about computers, robots or Star Trek episodes did that. That being said, what is the perceived problem with nerds?

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2008 at 7:32 PM

anuts on October 3, 2008 at 7:27 PM

I guess Allah didn’t notice that Gov. Palin has a wee bit of an accent. Can we please not sweat the small stuff?

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Why not just stop writing “eats” all the time? Seriously, please stop. – Dorvillian on October 3, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Because its his schtick and those of us who have come to know him kind of like it. I can see that it drives you nuts. Excellent.

ManlyRash on October 3, 2008 at 7:35 PM

petefrt on October 3, 2008 at 7:26 PM

I can sympathize, but I just wonder why we all continue to hide. Nothing is ever going to change if we all keep hiding and not standing up and changing this about our society.

I don’t really have the answers, I’m simply thinking out loud here. I’ve been following politics and left-right issues such as this since 2001 and it seems like in every industry, conservatives are always saying they have to keep quiet for fear of repurcussions. Well, if we continue to stay quiet, we continue to allow the Left to have this power. And they continue to take advantage of this power.

Michael in MI on October 3, 2008 at 7:36 PM

If the moonbats talk about their, he says you just nod your head. He claims they are vicious in their blackballing. – hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Heh. Wait till they begin to take over the country after January 20. Gonna become a farking police state before long and we’ll be wearing scarlet “R” patches.

ManlyRash on October 3, 2008 at 7:36 PM

ManlyRash on October 3, 2008 at 7:35 PM

hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Hawk:

I wondered if that was you.

texette on October 3, 2008 at 7:38 PM

Can this Grue guy (I think) be banned?

Hold your horses! When Obama is elected we’ll all be banned.

Disturb the Universe on October 3, 2008 at 7:40 PM

I just wonder when we are going to do something to turn the tide. The irony is that it’s the left that always complains they are in some fascist state and they have no freedom to express themselves, when, in fact, it is close to the other way around. – Michael in MI on October 3, 2008 at 7:36 PM

There really isn’t anything we can do but wait for the rift to continue as this nation divides itself between red state and blue state America. There eventually will be a tipping point, followed by a secession, an possibly civil war. It’s the way of things.

ManlyRash on October 3, 2008 at 7:40 PM

A measure of anonymity isn’t necessarily a bad thing. As I’ve already said, I use this handle for reasons of personal security–I wish I could be upfront about my conservatism–but right now, if I want to continue doing what I’m doing, I can’t–and I do enjoy doing what I’m doing. I have another alias I use for my online hobby where I’m involved with several other individuals of widely different backgrounds and where we have a gentlemen’s agreement to not talk politics. There’s at least one active Obama supporter in my circle and at least one other McCain-Palin supporter. Best for all concerned for us to just not even mention politics.

Like anything else, anonymity can be used for good or evil :)

Matt Helm on October 3, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Why not just stop writing “eats” all the time? Seriously, please stop.

Dorvillian on October 3, 2008 at 7:26 PM

While I tend to agree that the *eats* thing is annoying (or anyone for that matter who has to sign off with some kind of moniker or schtick), I think what is more annoying is people railing on AllahPundit in every post about being pessimistic. That’s his schtick as well. He’s had it for at least over a year now. The easy thing to do when something is annoying is either ignore it or not put oneself in a position to have to deal with it. Don’t like *eats*, don’t read Grue’s comments. Don’t like pessimistic schtick in political commentary, don’t read AllahPundit’s posts at HotAir. Pretty simple.

Michael in MI on October 3, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Hold your horses! When Obama is elected we’ll all be banned. – Disturb the Universe on October 3, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Don’t think it can’t happen. Liberals are fascists – never forget that. Unfortunately, most Americans won’t realize it until they feel a jackboot on their throats.

ManlyRash on October 3, 2008 at 7:41 PM

texette on October 3, 2008 at 7:38 PM

texette!!! How are you?

hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 7:43 PM

anuts on October 3, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Pardon the confusion. I wasn’t complaining. I was actually inquiring. I had no idea. Accent or no accent; I always thought they were pronounced the same way.

Now back to the big stuff….like, spending 2 or more pages discussing *eats* and nom de plumes, for examples. ;)

anuts on October 3, 2008 at 7:43 PM

Now that we’re throwing all of our cards on the table about what irratates tehm, I’m afraid I’m going to have to ask Cindy to change her name to something else and “everyone” quit putting those stupid timestamps on their posts. – hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 7:37 PM

What bugs me is all teh mispelings. And teh fact that poeple cant distinguish betwenn it’s and its. Or learn how to use teh “”qotation markz.

ManlyRash on October 3, 2008 at 7:44 PM

And no more :-) s.

hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 7:46 PM

ManlyRash on October 3, 2008 at 7:44 PM

lol

hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 7:47 PM

hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 7:37 PM

I have to come up with a new password every 30 days and although I know that is probably nothing compared to what other people have to do, I have no imagination. You should see how ticked I get.

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2008 at 7:48 PM

Hawk!!!!eleventy!!1!

I be fine.

All I can do is say hello right now.

But, I’ll be watchin’, you betcha.

texette on October 3, 2008 at 7:51 PM

followed by a secession, an possibly civil war. It’s the way of things.

ManlyRash on October 3, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Count to 10 on October 3, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2008 at 7:48 PM

lol, Cindy you and me both. And there’s a special deal for my AKO (Army Knowledge Online) accounts that maddening. If you let it lapse, you can only change it on a terminal with a card reader to put your ID card in. We lead the way, er teh way, in security, but GRRRR. I have five separate account just for the military.

hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 7:53 PM

anuts on October 3, 2008 at 7:43 PM

No confusion, I was giving Allah a hard time not you. You are absolutely right the difference in pronunciation if any is barely noticeable. Actually I am pretty much in total agreement with your post, why would anyone care about someone’s posting name?

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2008 at 7:53 PM

texette on October 3, 2008 at 7:51 PM

Me too. Do you still go to teh wheel?

hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 7:54 PM

Count to 10 on October 3, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Or…wait, did I get the names wrong?

Count to 10 on October 3, 2008 at 7:54 PM

If I had to come up with five different passwords I would retire. I tried to sign up to comment at Newsweek (I think) and it didn’t like any of the passwords I tried. Several times it told me that it had to be at least four characters. Now I have my faults but I can count past four and was giving them more than four. Someone from HotAir suggested I try Obama but it must have been taken.

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2008 at 7:56 PM

hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 7:54 PM

“Hawk driver,” hmmm, not too many military vehicles with hawk names, right? Blackhawk, Skyhawk…or is that Seahawk?

Count to 10 on October 3, 2008 at 7:58 PM

Count to 10 on October 3, 2008 at 7:52 PM

I never “talk” about that.

I do secretly “think” about hair-brained secession schemes that have no chance of working in the privacy of my walk-in closet in the wee hours of the morning.

hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 7:58 PM

Count to 10 on October 3, 2008 at 7:58 PM

I tried for the SpaceHawk but my GT score pidgeon-holed me to the UH60.

hawkdriver on October 3, 2008 at 7:59 PM

ManlyRash on October 3, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2008 at 8:11 PM

What does *eats* even mean?

SteakRules on October 3, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Grues are from the Zork series of PC games. If you wander into a place without any light for too long, the “Grues” will eat you. ;)

Bring your Illuminyte!

lansing quaker on October 3, 2008 at 8:28 PM

Michael in MI on October 3, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Just an observation:- Isn’t the message much more important than the messenger?

OldEnglish on October 3, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Okay, I don’t know about anyone else, but I get a little queezy when members of the military start talking secession… – Count to 10 on October 3, 2008 at 7:52 PM

I’m not a member of the military. Neither were the Founding Fathers – with the exception of George Washington, who was a Colonel in the Virginia Militia. The secession will begin the same way…by civilians.

ManlyRash on October 3, 2008 at 9:04 PM

I keep IE up separately so I can look up words so as to avoid your wrath. But I think I still mess up with synonyms. Forgive me. – Cindy Munford on October 3, 2008 at 8:11 PM

There is nothing to forgive, Miss Cindy.

*bows in a courtly fashion, like real men used to do before the damn Yankees ruined everything*

ManlyRash on October 3, 2008 at 9:06 PM

We can’t have a civil war because the sovereignty of states means nothing anymore. It used to. Besides, who’d want to give Caleefornia all that money?

Mojave Mark on October 3, 2008 at 9:32 PM

I just listened to the video. This lady is SMART, she’s a quick study and a political prodigy. She’s going to be around for a long time.

Mojave Mark on October 3, 2008 at 9:35 PM

We can’t have a civil war because the sovereignty of states means nothing anymore. – Mojave Mark on October 3, 2008 at 9:32 PM

Oh, but we will, Mark. We will.

ManlyRash on October 3, 2008 at 9:49 PM

A couple of thoughts since I’m (very) late to this game.

1) Grue – I love the *eats* just as much as I like CyberCipher’s collie.
2) As far as anonymity goes, I’m not here to be “taken seriously” by the MSM. I’m here to enjoy myself and learn things. Also, I have an occupation that can cause extreme reactions in people because they can’t separate me from my occupation.

Religious_Zealot on October 3, 2008 at 10:32 PM

Religious_Zealot on October 3, 2008 at 10:32 PM

I like you already, Zealot.

ManlyRash on October 3, 2008 at 10:34 PM

Too late.

Gaunilon on October 3, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Video ends with a shot of Krauthammer looking less than impressed.

Tzetzes on October 3, 2008 at 11:51 PM

1. My mother pronounces the name of the first president as “George WARSHington” (I catch myself sometimes, too.) I like listening to people’s accents. (Other people’s, I, of course, don’t have one. ;)
2. Hot Air is my first foray into blogging, so I thought a nickname was the thing to do. Since joining, however, I’ve gotten a job in academia, which I like. I would rather nobody knew who I was–yet. But I understand Michael & agree w/his overall point.

artlover on October 4, 2008 at 12:12 AM

Right_of_Attila on October 4, 2008 at 12:24 AM

ManlyRash on October 3, 2008 at 7:41 PM

The “neo-liberals” are fascist…while a real liberal (like me!) is not. Why call people like Obama a liberal when you can call him what he really is…?

SwabJockey on October 4, 2008 at 5:37 AM

*eats*

Grue, your comments here are well-liked. Many of us appreciate your sense of humor, and are jealous of the time you are able to spend here. It’s obvious to me that you are having some fun, and if you’re not having fun with this blog, then what’s the point.

Roger Waters is well named. I am a huge fan of Pink Floyd, but both Waters’ and Gilmour’s politics are not my cup of tea. Liberals make good music. Wish they’d just “shut up and play yer guitar” (I think Zappa said that).

connertown on October 4, 2008 at 7:31 AM

I just wonder why we all continue to hide. Nothing is ever going to change if we all keep hiding and not standing up and changing this about our society. — Michael in MI on October 3, 2008 at 7:36 PM

I completely agree we must stand up for our principles, but in a cost effective way. What credibility is added to my posts by attaching my actual name, when no one would recognize it anyway? I see no upside to it, but a substantial downside.

Do liberal posters use their actual names any more than conservatives do?

Now of course it would probably be different if I were in the profession of writing commentary, rather than blogging casually. As a professional, I’d probably need to add a resume’ and allow my readers some kind of background check for authentication.

Please don’t get me wrong, Michael. Your main point is well taken. We must stand up for our principles. Certainly the failure of our elected reps to do so has damaged us badly. On the other hand, I see no reason for useless sacrifice. I want to keep my powder dry until it can be useful in sending the bullet to the target.

petefrt on October 4, 2008 at 8:05 AM

ManlyRash on October 3, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Dittos. It kinda grows on you. Before long at HA, it will be the cool thing to do.

petefrt on October 4, 2008 at 8:17 AM

ManlyRash on October 3, 2008 at 7:35 PM

As several others have said, I kinda like it too, like CyberCipher’s collie. Most of us have likely noticed that Grue’s posts are pithier than most of ours, mine included, and have good comments to boot. An extra six characters, cute at that, added to his/her short posts, aren’t gonna get in anyone’s way.

*winks*

inviolet on October 4, 2008 at 8:53 AM

Terrie, the libtards at Starbucks couldn’t possibly be talking about Sarah Palin now, I had it on good liberal commentator’s authority that the debate performance was a one day phenom and that she’d be old news by now. Of course they said that when she was selected by Sen. McCain.

eaglewingz08 on October 4, 2008 at 9:26 AM

Me, I just turn the light on.

It’s rather effective anti-grue tactics.

Chap on October 4, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Kind of like saying “hymn” vs “him”

anuts on October 3, 2008 at 7:27 PM

No, it’s like saying hem v. him.

mofo on October 5, 2008 at 2:46 AM