MoDo voted off the McCain island?

posted at 10:45 am on October 2, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

The schadenfreude quotient of this story makes it irresistable.  New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd got stranded by the McCain campaign in Pittsburgh after the campaign revoked her credential for the press section of the campaign airplane in August.  They have not reconsidered their position, which provoked this outrage from Timothy McNulty of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

Add Maureen Dowd, the Pulitzer-winning columnist for the NY Times, to the list of media types who have fallen out bitterly with John McCain. The McCain campaign has barred her from flying in the McCain and Palin press planes, even though major media outlets routinely pay thousands to the campaigns every day for travel and expenses (and also begs the question, why didn’t her media colleagues Man Up and get her aboard anyway?)

It all started when Maureen covered an Aug. 30 McCain-Palin rally in Washington, Pa., then wasn’t let on the McCain plane afterward, forcing her to overnight at a Pittsburgh airport hotel while the traveling press went on without her.

McNulty then says that it’s part of a strategy to protect Sarah Palin from “someone as adroit and experienced as Maureen.”  Really?  She wasn’t adroit enough to keep from falling for an urban legend about Palin.  Dowd wasn’t adroit enough to keep from getting caught chopping up quotes to distort their meaning, as she did with President Bush in 2003 — from which bloggers coined the term “dowdify”.

One suspects that the reason her colleagues didn’t “Man Up” was because they didn’t care to defend Dowd’s journalistic excesses.  McNulty provides the perfect example of this in Dowd’s own response to her eviction from Team McCain’s ride:

“It was disappointing because I didn’t think John McCain would ever be as dismissive of the First Amendment as Dick Cheney.”

Does the First Amendment hinge on Maureen Dowd getting a seat on the McCain campaign jet?  Did we enter a time of tyranny because she has to find other travel arrangements?  Maybe Dowd should start reporting on Obama’s Truth Squad in Missouri, where a campaign actually is attempting to intimidate critics into silence through prosecution.  Neither Dowd nor her newspaper seem terribly interested in defending the First Amendment where it counts.

Reporters are not owed a spot on the campaign planes.  Newspapers don’t have a right to that seat.  They can cover the campaigns by purchasing flights on their own if they like.  Maureen Dowd stopped being a reporter when she started writing opinion columns, which makes her a strange choice for the Times under any circumstances, and her column on Palin and dinosaurs should have disqualified her from the McCain beat anyway, if the Times had any editorial sense at all.

Enjoy flying coach, Maureen.  Try reading the First Amendment between stops.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Too bad she wasn’t returning from Wasilla.

scalleywag on October 2, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Perfect.

Wade on October 2, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Couldn’t get her huge makeup case in overhead bin…?

d1carter on October 2, 2008 at 12:30 PM

I thought she was in a nursing home

entagor on October 2, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Makeup case? I thought it was those gallon jugs of Lady Clarol that security had a problem with.

meci on October 2, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Voted off, and don’t get back on until you get a face-lift…no hags on the plane…and next time serve lime with the gin and tonic, it is getting harder and harder to find good waitresses on these campaign planes.

right2bright on October 2, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Dowd is a slimy ass piece of liberal crap and what McCain did couldn’t have happened to a more deserving person. Stick it in your ear, Maureen, or the orifice of your choice.

rplat on October 2, 2008 at 12:42 PM

She’s probably got crabgrass.

scalleywag on October 2, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Seriously, there is NO WAY you want a woman like Down near Palin. There would be a risk of assassination.

Down is completely unglued and hates Palin. There’s a chance she’d try to cap her.

The Left will do what it takes to never let her win the VP stakes.

Sapwolf on October 2, 2008 at 12:57 PM

I think Mark Steyn once referred to MoDo as an “elderly schoolgirl.” That’s pretty much spot-on.

Mr. D on October 2, 2008 at 1:06 PM

MoDo is looking like she has no MoJo. Is the gravity of life, being a single, professional, feminist (in name only when it suits her), getting to her good looks? She’s looking like the real version of the Witches of Eastwick.

Sergei on October 2, 2008 at 1:11 PM

You mean I was in the same stadium at the same time as Dowd? Ikes. I suddenly need to go take another shower.

rightwingprof on October 2, 2008 at 1:12 PM

I’d be willing to bet Modo had no clue how to get back to NY other than fly. I can envision some suggesting that she rent a car and drive back, to which her reply was drive it myself? I don’t know how…

swami on October 2, 2008 at 11:00 AM

That would not surprise me. Compare that to Sarah snowmachining a hundred miles to pick up the mail.

Sapwolf on October 2, 2008 at 1:45 PM

I thought she used her broom to fly around…..hmm?

wildweasel on October 2, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Who’s Dowd’s make-up artist? Earl Schieb?

pugwriter on October 2, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Gate Attendant: “Yeah, umm, Miss Dowd, your boarding pass has been revoked, so, umm, I’mm just going to ask you to step aside and let the actual passengers by so they can continue on to the next stop, mmkay?”

Dowd: “I am Maureen Dowd. I am a reporter and I demand you let me on this plane. I am part or the press. Don’t you know who I am?”

Gate Attendant: “Miss Dowd, I am quite aware of who you are, however, your boarding pass has been revoked and you are no longer flying with the McCain campaign. If you do not step aside I will call security and have you violated in ways you can’t quite possibly imagine. Would you like to step aside or shall I have you removed forcibly?”

Maureen Dowd: “Well, I never!”
Gate Attendant: “Though so, beotch.”

Geronimo on October 2, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Why did the McCain campaign ever include someone from the DNC newsletter at all?

malclave on October 2, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Fortunately for Mad Maureen there was a Fuller Brush Man at the Pittsburgh airport who was able to custom fit Maureen with an appropriate transportation vehicle for her flight back home.

viking01 on October 2, 2008 at 2:38 PM

No Duh! I agree. Maureen can just suck it up & drive on.

Badger40 on October 2, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Fixed.

Diva of the smart set, indeed.

fossten on October 2, 2008 at 2:46 PM

why didn’t her media colleagues Man Up

Well…I guess we can probably figure that one out.

Jaibones on October 2, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Hey, Mo, go to the nearest truck stop and I am sure there are few truckers who will give you a ride…for barter.

RobCon on October 2, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Upper West Side Cougar on the prowl in downtown Pittsburgh.
LMFAO

RobCon on October 2, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Morrissey is the only reason I come to this site anymore.

revolution on October 2, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Shoulda’ pitched her as out at 30,000 feet. She could use her mouth as a parachute.

Aw! McCain’s PICKING on the press and they don’t like it.

McCain should have done something like this months ago. “I’m not asking you to agree with me, like me, love me, worship me. What I am asking is that you be fair in the treatment of both candidates. If you don’t think you can be impartial….then get the fuck off MY plane now.”

GarandFan on October 2, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Don’t worry Maureen, the other flights have cheaper booze!

revolution on October 2, 2008 at 3:12 PM

The entire NYTreason staff is lucky they’re not covering the campaign from Gitmo IMHO.

Buzzy on October 2, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Don’t worry Maureen, the other flights have cheaper booze!

revolution on October 2, 2008 at 3:12 PM

No, the booze is for those trapped on a plane with her.

foxforce91 on October 2, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Hey Maureen — Call Enterprise; they’ll pick you up.

D2Boston on October 2, 2008 at 3:26 PM

I heard she was dropped off wearing an Elvis t-shirt. NTTAWWT.

I’m glad the old one-trick pony hack got kicked off the plane. I only wish we could have seen the look on her face when she found out.

capitalist piglet on October 2, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Reporters are not owed a spot on the campaign planes.

Reporters are not owed.

Kralizec on October 2, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Now, this is funny! It looks like the McCain campaign is finally growing a pair.

Repubtallygirl on October 2, 2008 at 4:06 PM

She’s the biggest blow hard elitist in the media. And I’ll tell you something … she has an overblown opinion of herself. She’s not that smart and … she’s physically weak imo. She’s not a pioneer woman like Palin. In fact … Dowd would not know how to handle a rattlesnake if she came across one. Pfffft!

HondaV65 on October 2, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Who’s Dowd’s make-up artist? Earl Schieb?

pugwriter on October 2, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Hey, there are some things no one will do for $49.95

hindmost on October 2, 2008 at 4:12 PM

You know, George Bush only has a few more months as president. Why the heck doesn’t he kick Helen Thomas out of the White House Press corps?

TimothyJ on October 2, 2008 at 4:12 PM

Why the heck doesn’t he kick Helen Thomas out of the White House Press corps?

With a size 12 cowboy boot, preferably.

I’d pay $1,000 for a picture of her worthless fat ass cascading down the White House steps.

NoDonkey on October 2, 2008 at 4:21 PM

I just e-mailed Dowd that no matter what happens tonight, Sarah Palin is a thousand times the woman you will ever be. Along with that link Ed/AP posted about her growing up from the WaPo.

I actually feel sorry for Dowd. You just know she has had at least one abortion, and it’s probably still a huge weight on her. I wish she could just stop the hate and take an inventory of her life and actually do something good with it for a change.

Sapwolf on October 2, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Who’s Dowd’s make-up artist? Earl Schieb?

pugwriter on October 2, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Edvard Munch

clnurnberg on October 2, 2008 at 4:55 PM

“I didn’t think John McCain would ever be as dismissive of the First Amendment as Dick Cheney.”

Exactly, Ed! Truth be told, Obama’s truth squad in future court cases would say so. Careful: denounce him now, not later.

maverick muse on October 2, 2008 at 5:32 PM

How come there is a picture of Maureen Dowd’s grandmother on the main page of Hot Air?

Wait! You mean that’s Maureen? Then who is the woman in the picture by her columns on the NYT website?

ynot4tony2 on October 2, 2008 at 5:42 PM

The Post-Gazette is the Pittsburgh arm of the DNC and PR firm for the Democratic caucus.

onlineanalyst on October 2, 2008 at 5:49 PM

Any chance Helen Thomas’ a$$ will hit the tarmack?

Blake on October 2, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Enjoy flying coach, Maureen. Try reading the First Amendment between stops.

Ding, ding, ding.

SouthernGent on October 2, 2008 at 6:14 PM

Calling Maureen a slut would be disparaging to sluts everyewhere.

volsense on October 2, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Hey Maureen. GOOGLE: SAUL ALINSKY BARRACK OBAMA LUCIFER

volsense on October 2, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Mo Dowd…isn’t she dating Sandra Bernhard?

Imagine what the kid’s’d look like!

Puritan1648 on October 2, 2008 at 6:59 PM

They should have kicked her out OVER Pittsburgh…

SuperCool on October 2, 2008 at 7:04 PM

FUNNEEE THREAD!

whitetop on October 2, 2008 at 7:13 PM

revolution on October 2, 2008 at 2:57 PM

And you aren’t the only one.

wise_man on October 2, 2008 at 7:57 PM

In the hospital, post-op and semi-delirious, so forgive me if this was already mentioned, but the Post-Gazette journalist misuses the “beg the question” formulation.

-Militant Grammarian Mikeyboss.

mikeyboss on October 2, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Akzed on October 2, 2008 at 11:15 AM

Now I see you were way ahead of me, Akzed.

mikeyboss on October 2, 2008 at 9:00 PM

If this silly bimbo is so concerned over the First Amendment, perhaps she could report on how Oblahblah and his thug squad is trying so hard to squash it.

91Veteran on October 3, 2008 at 1:22 AM

I wonder which corner she was working while she “overnighted”?

91Veteran on October 3, 2008 at 1:26 AM

Sapwolf on October 2, 2008 at 12:57 PM

I bet Sara’Cuda could field dress a Dowd as good as she can a moose.

91Veteran on October 3, 2008 at 1:43 AM

bet Sara’Cuda could field dress a Dowd as good as she can a moose.

91Veteran on October 3, 2008

I don’t think she’d bother, 91Veteran. Dowd is garbage meat. Best left in the field to rot.

SKYFOX on October 3, 2008 at 5:28 AM