Must read: Ken Timmerman on Obama’s unreported campaign donations

posted at 1:15 pm on October 1, 2008 by Allahpundit

Via Andy McCarthy, who sets an example I’ll follow by keeping his own commentary short to get you to read the whole thing. To be clear: Obama’s not required by law to identify contributions of less than $200. But given that (a) McCain does it voluntarily, (b) The One claims to be all about a new, transparent politics in Washington, and (c) his campaign is famously powered by small donors, it’s a tad curious that most of the names of people who’ve dropped a little north of $222 million on him in small contributions remain known only to him and his campaign.

Especially when some of the ones who have been identified look like this:

In a letter dated June 25, 2008, the FEC asked the Obama campaign to verify a series of $25 donations from a contributor identified as “Will, Good” from Austin, Texas.

Mr. Good Will listed his employer as “Loving” and his profession as “You.”

A Newsmax analysis of the 1.4 million individual contributions in the latest master file for the Obama campaign discovered 1,000 separate entries for Mr. Good Will, most of them for $25.

In total, Mr. Good Will gave $17,375.

Following this and subsequent FEC requests, campaign records show that 330 contributions from Mr. Good Will were credited back to a credit card. But the most recent report, filed on Sept. 20, showed a net cumulative balance of $8,950 — still well over the $4,600 limit.

The fact that the campaign itself is reporting a cumulative balance in excess of the legal limit means they know, or should know, that they’ve got more money on hand than they’re supposed to have. And like McCarthy says, it’s only because “Good Will” was so stupid as to use the same phony identity for all of his donations that he crossed the $200 reporting threshold in the first place. A smart, determined fraudster would have used multiple identities.

But the fun doesn’t end there. Remember that phone bank in Gaza? Combine it with the Economist feature I linked yesterday on the “world electoral vote” and consider the implications:

Until recently, the Obama Web site allowed a contributor to select the country where he resided from the entire membership of the United Nations, including such friendly places as North Korea and the Islamic Republic of Iran.

Unlike McCain’s or Sen. Hillary Clinton’s online donation pages, the Obama site did not ask for proof of citizenship until just recently. Clinton’s presidential campaign required U.S. citizens living abroad to actually fax a copy of their passport before a donation would be accepted.

With such lax vetting of foreign contributions, the Obama campaign may have indirectly contributed to questionable fundraising by foreigners.

Why would The One be so negligent about his standards knowing that, at the very least, it creates an appearance of impropriety? Because, dummy: He knows big media’s not going to press him on it. And with that, I’ll keep my promise and send you off to dive in.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Food for thought:

Damiano on October 1, 2008 at 2:27 PM

This must be part of Obama’s PAC the Obama HOPE Fund..

LMAO..

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 2:29 PM

It is because The One is not actually in charge, that’s why. He is the puppet. We all know the puppet is not in charge, the Puppeteer is in charge.

bloggless on October 1, 2008 at 2:30 PM

albill on October 1, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Well, now that post has been deleted, of course.

MayBee on October 1, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Obama’s HOPE Fund..

Obama, “I HOPE I win the Election!”

Sheesh, what a loser..

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Buford Gooch on October 1, 2008 at 2:22 PM

With a Visa card, you can make donations from ANYWHERE. There is no country of origin on it.

Just fill in what you want, and keep it under $200, so the FEC won’t even see it…

Romeo13 on October 1, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Is it too late to print up the “Impeach Obama” bumper stickers? Sure is looking like I will have to have one in January 2009.

djtnt on October 1, 2008 at 2:31 PM

He is such a criminal it isnt funny. He fits in well with the Democrats.

becki51758 on October 1, 2008 at 2:33 PM

This is the kind of stuff the media is supposed to exist for. This is the kind of thing journalists say that they went to journalism school for. If the perp is a Republican, that is.

The “Good Will” part could have been true, but the “Employer” field probaly should have read:
ACORN
or
Soros
or
ROC

29Victor on October 1, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Speaking of Fred Baron, Elizabeth Edwards has once again reared her pathetic self into the public spotlight by attending a healthcare meeting in which she attacks John McCain and his healthcare plan. I hate to tell her, but she is so totally attacking the wrong John.

bloggless on October 1, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Who is The One’s puppeteer?

bloggless on October 1, 2008 at 2:36 PM

I am a member of Obama’s Truth Squad. This blog has been identified as non compliant. Please take it down immediately.

Thank you for your cooperation.

James on October 1, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Did we ever find out what was up with all those poor kitchen workers donating thousands to Hillary? I believe Obama makes the Clintons look like amateurs when it comes to shenanigans like these.

neuquenguy on October 1, 2008 at 2:41 PM

I’m very much a law and order type of guy…

But the law isn’t working here.

Much like the Minutemen of our forefathers, there is a time and a place where the Citizens must take matters into their own hands.

Someone needs to hack this doner database, and check the Credit Card numbers.

Romeo13 on October 1, 2008 at 2:42 PM

We rather lay down and die rather than be called racists.

They know it, and they are exploiting our weakness.

Dorvillian on October 1, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Maybe you perhaps. But not me! Call me a racist all day and night. Scream it from the rooftops and brand me with it, but I will not just lay down and die. I grew up in a mixed race family, a little haole (white) from Hawaii, where I was the minority. Oblama and his skin color, and the fact that he and his faithful use that, don’t scare me a bit with the way they use that. But what does scare me is to just throw my hands in the air and say I give up. What scares the daylights out of me is the thoughts of my children having to live in an Obama Marxist/Socialist/Communist craptacular world that is crumbling around them.
I really think it’s those following blindly on the left that are afraid of being branded racists, not those of us on the right.
Why McCain doesn’t seem to have any fight in him is beyond words. The left doesn’t know what our weakness is. But they are so crazy and still so PO’d about Bush “Stealing” the White House that they’ll do anything to get it back. Lie, cheat, and steal. And without a doubt it’s all fair game to them, and the ends justify the means. Been said here a million and one times, make it a million and two now. They have no morals and compunction about it.

mauioriginal on October 1, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Of course it’s widespread fraud. How hard would it be for George Soros to hire a bunch of folks to sit down and make zillions of small donations, just like Good Will? I think there’s a massive attempt to subvert or destroy the electoral process and get Mr. Socipath elected, no matter what.

mr.blacksheep on October 1, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Okay, so here’s a video at ScoopThis.org showing people getting taken to register and vote the same day in Ohio. Watch it until the end and you see a sign that says: (and I sh*t you not!)

In Person Absentee Voting Here

In Person… actually be there.. you can touch them
Absentee…. ah.. missing in action.. gone.. not there

I have no words…

CC

CapedConservative on October 1, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Socipath = Sociopath

mr.blacksheep on October 1, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Here’s the link

CC

CapedConservative on October 1, 2008 at 2:45 PM

That’s a needle in a haystack proposition in Austin.

Fletch54 on October 1, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Eh.. wouldn’t you say it’s a “needle in a needle-stack proposition?”

spmat on October 1, 2008 at 2:48 PM

CapedConservative on October 1, 2008 at 2:45 PM

I think you are missing the point. The person who they are registering is not there. The person who is registering the person who is not there, is there and is voting for them. See? In person, absentee voting.

bloggless on October 1, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Well that, plus, he needs the money.

Vashta.Nerada on October 1, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Oh, and I agree with the various comments to the effect of: Obama could eat a live puppy on Good Morning America and they’d talk about his refined palate and cultural open-mindedness.

spmat on October 1, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Why isn’t the McCain campaign hitting this on television ads. It would definitely be worth the money in a couple of major markets. It is simple, well documented and in undeniable evidence that His “Hope ‘n Change” message is just going from Washington to Chicago. Obama’s black shirted special action “truth squads” probably couldn’t do much to stop it and would draw further attention.
“Obama – corruption you can trust”. Show a couple of the egregious examples that he hasn’t corrected then ask the obvious question “what is hidden in the other 220million?”. This ploy will only work if it is done right now.

Credit card donations are pretty easy to track, they leave a paper trail back to the cardholder and the vendor (the Obama campaign) could easily see the original issuing bank (foreign or domestic). If the FEC investigated (lol), any patterns could be determined in days.

deadman on October 1, 2008 at 2:52 PM

I was wondering about that. It seemed odd that Obama would get so much of his contributions from small doners, and speculating if there was fraud involved with that coincidentally being the no-report threshold.
Given how lopsided the rest of the world is on the issue, what is the probability that half of Obama’s war chest is illegal?

Count to 10 on October 1, 2008 at 2:53 PM

bloggless on October 1, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Gee… now I get it… it’s so confusing. I hope they take them to multiple locations to practice so they can get it right.

CC

CapedConservative on October 1, 2008 at 2:55 PM

deadman on October 1, 2008 at 2:52 PM

Problem is that there must be probable cause for the FBI to get involved… and any investigation would immediatly get tagged as political.

SEC can only go after campaigns, not donors… and without evidence they won’t.

Grey area of law enforcment.

Romeo13 on October 1, 2008 at 2:58 PM

“Thug Thizzle”???

Sounds about right, I guess.

surrounded on October 1, 2008 at 3:00 PM

October Suprise.

Theworldisnotenough on October 1, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Count to 10 on October 1, 2008 at 2:53 PM

That’s one advantage of having so many questionable associations and deals in your past and in your present, it makes it hard to see the forest for the trees. :)

neuquenguy on October 1, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Not that it means a thing – it probably doesn’t – but Khalid al-Mansour is a resident of Texas, right? At least he was when he raised money for Obama to go to Harvard, unless I’m mistaken.

capitalist piglet on October 1, 2008 at 3:07 PM

We would rather lay down and die rather than be called racists.
They know it, and they are exploiting our weakness.

Dorvillian on October 1, 2008 at 1:58 PM

I wasn’t speaking about myself, or any individual. I’m speaking about the party.

If Gwen wasn’t black wouldn’t she be considered clearly biased? Wouldn’t the RNC scream foul?

Why do you think that McCain has never uttered the name ACORN? Why is the Rev. Wright not discussed by the campaign? Why will McCain never bring up these obvious campaign finance violations?

This campaign and the conservative movement is scared to death to be called racists. They would much rather turn the other cheek and play from a disadvantage.

Dorvillian on October 1, 2008 at 3:08 PM

I wish they would have two moderators. Leave her there, add someone conservative who’s written a book about Obama. Make it balanced.

: )

capitalist piglet on October 1, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Well, we’ve had ACORN out there for four years registering Porky Pig, Dick Tracy, and Elvis Presley to vote. I guess the Obama campaign just took it to another level and made them campaign contributors!

Un. Freaking. Believable.

rockmom on October 1, 2008 at 3:18 PM

: )

capitalist piglet on October 1, 2008 at 3:13 PM

That would be a bit Obama centric. Has anyone written a positive book about McCain?

Count to 10 on October 1, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Count to 10 on October 1, 2008 at 3:20 PM

I frequently browse around a local Barnes and Noble. It’s quite illuminating. There are coffee table books about Obama…seriously. An Obama calendar, with a “hope” and “change” theme. There may be ten or fifteen different books on the shelves about Obama, not counting “Obamanation” and another critical book or two.

I think I saw three or so McCain books…his own, maybe a couple of others, maybe one more that looked rather negative.

Tons of “Can’t Wait Until the Chimp is Gone” crap.

This is just an estimate of course, but next time I go, I think I’ll count it up just out of curiousity.

capitalist piglet on October 1, 2008 at 3:28 PM

To be fair, Obama’s people have called me twice about the $25 donation I gave to him during the primaries. Mitt Romney never had to call me for my $25 donation to him because the form on his web site had me prove my citizenship right then and there. Which goes to say that things might be a bit of a mess over at O! Camp.

Seixon on October 1, 2008 at 3:40 PM

McCain should have a press conference and flatly accuse Obama of cheating. Acorn and now this. Yeah, his 40% of Kool Aid drinkers won’t budge. They think it’s hilariious that Obama’s getting away with this stuff while the MSM is hunting down Palin beauty-pageant tapes.

I’m probably wrong, but I still think the middle 20% considers themselves Americans who didn’t like Obama’s European trip and surely won’t like a lot of foreigners underwriting Obama’s campaign.

BuckeyeSam on October 1, 2008 at 3:43 PM

7.4 on the Eeyore Scale of Doom.

Akzed on October 1, 2008 at 3:49 PM

So glad to hear the chorus chiming in about this major malfunction in our political campaign process that, AS EVER, Obama is abusing and hiding.

Note well Qadhafi using “may have” as in can’t catch me in court.

And if anyone give credence to Qadhafi’s admission that he hosts Islamic financial bundling from Africa/Arabia for Obama, then note well that they do so because in their Islamic estimation, Obama is a Muslim.

maverick muse on October 1, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Rather than clarifying, Obama’s people calling twice since a donation are subtly hoping for more of the same. Don’t think that they actually care to clarify a record. What a joke.

maverick muse on October 1, 2008 at 4:25 PM

The FEC breakdown of the Obama campaign has identified a staggering $222.7 million as coming from contributions of $200 or less. Only $39.6 million of that amount comes from donors the Obama campaign has identified.

It is the largest pool of unidentified money that has ever flooded into the U.S. election system, before or after the McCain-Feingold campaign finance reforms of 2002.

My question, who’s bought Obama?… and when does the McCain add come out exposing all this?

4shoes on October 1, 2008 at 4:28 PM

“How much does anyone want to bet that Mr. Good Will, Mrs. Good Will and their 14 adult children, parents, grandparents, cousins and brothers and sisters are registered to vote via absentee ballot from their comfortable home in a boarded up gas station?” Damiano
And wouldn’t it be something if we found out that as Prez, BO gave this extended family a 5 bedroom house in a nice Chicago suburb. Meanwhile his half brother in Africa is still living on pennies a day. ‘That’s the way we do it’, sez Barry Whosane Oblamalamading-dong.
4shoes: my guess would be the usual suspects, like George Soros. Let’s follow the money, if we dare.

Christine on October 1, 2008 at 5:00 PM

maverick muse on October 1, 2008 at 4:25 PM

You beat me to it.

Nichevo on October 1, 2008 at 5:10 PM

I expect Ifill to ask about this.

SouthernGent on October 1, 2008 at 8:40 PM

I read this earlier today. Hussein Obama is skilled in theft and lies. What’s worse is that other so-called Americans support this kind of behavior.

“By any means necessary”, right?

madmonkphotog on October 1, 2008 at 9:08 PM

If elected,, I wonder how long before he starts wearing a headdress to the oval office.
Didn’t Hillary wear some kind of robe thing on her first day to the Senate??
I remember seeing pictures of her in what looked like Roman robes.

JellyToast on October 1, 2008 at 9:15 PM

What would keep someone from buying a bunch of those cards at wal mart of a drug store or whatever for $50 a piece and then making contributions under made up names?

Terrye on October 1, 2008 at 9:27 PM

Well, the wheels of justice turn slowly. We can expect Obama, once sworn in, to pardon himself on or about January 24, 2009, and the matter will be done with.

Vashta.Nerada on October 1, 2008 at 9:43 PM

It doesn’t matter unless a Republican candidate brings it up! I wonder where we could find one!!

JellyToast on October 1, 2008 at 9:49 PM

These mystery donors aren’t unknown to the Oabama campaign, they’re just not declared.

Most Corrupt Politician Ever?

Merovign on October 1, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Obama owns a universal GET OUT OF JAIL FREE card from the MSM.

Because he has the right melanin content of character.

Ordinary attacks will not touch him.

McCain’s team better grow some sharper talons soon.

Or Barry’s chickens will be roosting on our heads.

profitsbeard on October 1, 2008 at 10:09 PM

It’s like we’re living in mob-run Chicago of the 30′s.

Mojave Mark on October 1, 2008 at 10:14 PM

Scumbag in Chief

jdkchem on October 1, 2008 at 10:26 PM

Obama has utterly blitzed McCain with all kinds of personal attacks, demagoguery, and baldfaced bullshit. McCain is getting held down and slammed in the nuts, over and over and over.

McCain says he’s still going to fight according to the Marquis of Queensberry rules. The latest example is when Ifill, who will be enriched by an Obama win, moderates a debate, and McCain says “she’ll do a professional job.” Yeah, it’s in her professional interest to see you lose, pal.

When is McCain going to strike back? At what point does Obama kicking dirt on McCain through surrogates finally make McCain say enough is enough?

Fight back! For God’s sake, fight back!

indythinker on October 1, 2008 at 10:41 PM

We literally have a crytpo-Islamo-socialist who sympathizes with terrorists who is 10 points ahead of a war hero who wants less taxes.

The public thinks Obama is a down-the-middle moderate, and McCain is some kind of a wingnut.

This perception has to be corrected. It all starts with Palin ripping on Obama for taking in $30 million in unaccounted foreign money for his campaign.

Do it. America needs an Obama presidency like it needs a hole in its head.

If McCain doesn’t want to be President, take your name out of the running and let someone else run. Just make up your mind, man.

indythinker on October 1, 2008 at 10:43 PM

Maybe someone’s already said it, but Good Will must be Matt Damon.

mikeyboss on October 1, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Dear Mr. Soros Will,

Please refrain from sending me money until the SEC starts getting less reviews than the current financial crisis. While the “goodies” have been nice, I can’t afford to be labeled as another sanctimonious community orginizer.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

Rovin on October 1, 2008 at 11:45 PM

So, nobody on the Obama campaign knows how to use a keyboard?

Maybe the guys who make the “McCain doesn’t know how to use e-mail” commercial might be willing to come in and teach them how to do data reduction and reporting.

But, then again, maybe they don’t want to.

unclesmrgol on October 2, 2008 at 12:17 AM

indythinker on October 1, 2008 at 10:41 PM

Yep.

indythinker on October 1, 2008 at 10:43 PM

Yep.

It won’t be long before McCain starts talking about the “religion of peace”, no doubt. I’ve never seen a wimpier candidate in my life. BHO is willing to cheat and lie and burn this country to the ground in order to win and McCain is more worried about condemning people on his own side who say “Barack Hussein Obama” – even as BHO used his own name as ‘proof’ of his foreign policy expertise way back in the primaries. This is sad.

progressoverpeace on October 2, 2008 at 12:39 AM

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, and somewhat related here too:
This afternoon,

…An Obama Campaign worker knocking at the door…. Looking for a newly registered Democrat, at an address that doesn’t exist, and a name that is ‘foreign’ to me…..
ACORN has, no doubt been at it again.

Now that we got everyone Good Will hunting…. Could it maybe be the Damon-Affleck lads being cute?

LegendHasIt on October 2, 2008 at 12:39 AM

mikeyboss on October 1, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Sorry, I didn’t read far enough to see yours before I posted mine.

GMTA

LegendHasIt on October 2, 2008 at 12:41 AM

Damiano on October 1, 2008 at 1:44 PM

How about Khalid al-Mansour?

I can’t believe nobody seems interested in that…not even around here. It’s the most outrageous thing I’ve heard. The guy is an extremist, and a very credible source (quite innocently, without realizing how it sounded) said he helped Obama get admitted to Harvard, and he PAID for at least part of it. GAVE Obama money for school.

WHY?

Why is no one screaming this from the rooftops?

Hello? Anyone? Bueller?

capitalist piglet on October 2, 2008 at 1:13 AM

Fight back! For God’s sake, fight back!

indythinker on October 1, 2008 at 10:41 PM

Agreed. I suspect the race is over. But maybe McCain has been merely holding on through Palin’s debate and enactment of the bail-out.

I don’t consider it a resort to “the culture wars,” I think McCain needs to call Obama what he really is: un-American. Wright, Ayers, Resko, Pritzker, Acorn, Kwame Kilpatrick, the Annenberg Challenge, and others. These shady contributions. Line ‘em all up in 527 ads, while McCain starts describing a nation led by Obama compared to a nation led by McCain. Start talking energy again. Talk about taxes. Start directly but succinctly assigning the subprime blame to Obama and all the guilty Dems–heck, Bill Clinton is pointing the way.

McCain needs to forget foreign policy arguments because swing-state voters just don’t care. McCain is conceding the domestic issues when Obama really has nothing. Tax cut? It’s glorified welfare (refundable tax cuts).

Paging the McCain campaign. You’re wanted in the race for the White House.

BuckeyeSam on October 2, 2008 at 1:51 AM

Larry Elder has a column at Townhall.com that concludes with a sentence that says it all:

McCain wants to “put his country first.” The best way is simple: Get aggressive and win the election.

BuckeyeSam on October 2, 2008 at 2:03 AM

BuckeyeSam on October 2, 2008 at 2:03 AM

Unfortunately McCain is still under the illusion that if you are nice to a liberal, they will be nice back. They however are; ‘Et Tu Brute’, back stabbers. In 26 years in Congress McCain has not learned this. Hmm.

Dasher on October 2, 2008 at 8:22 AM