Ifill: I never told the Commission about the book

posted at 8:55 pm on October 1, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

The AP has a hidden nugget at the end of its report on the Gwen Ifill controversy.  While some have blamed the McCain campaign for agreeing to Ifill as a moderator for tomorrow night’s VP debate while writing a book about “The Age of Barack Obama”, it turns out that Ifill didn’t bother to inform the Commission or the McCain campaign about the book:

The host of PBS’ “Washington Week” and senior correspondent on “The NewsHour” said she did not tell the Commission on Presidential Debates about the book. The commission had no immediate comment when contacted by The Associated Press. A spokeswoman for John McCain’s campaign did not immediately return phone and e-mail messages.

I guess it would be difficult to make a determination on Ifill’s impartiality when she withholds that kind of information.  Why didn’t she tell the CPD that she had a book in the works about politics and Barack Obama?  Three guesses.  After all, authors don’t write books in a day, and it takes up a large amount of time.  It’s hardly the kind of information that would have slipped Ifill’s mind.

Ifill tells the AP that the book hardly involves Obama.  She also said that the book will discuss a number of other black politicans, including Colin Powell — as if that proves her impartiality.  Of course, the book title, “The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama,” assumes that there will be an “Age of Obama” — which seems a little presumptuous for a politician who hasn’t even completed his first term in the US Senate.  Put it this way: when did the Age of Edwards end?

And if there isn’t an “Age of Obama”, then doesn’t Ifill’s book title look rather … lame?

This isn’t the most egregious foul committed in this campaign, but it’s an embarrassment for the CPD.  With a financial stake in the election’s outcome, Ifill shouldn’t even be conducting interviews of the candidates, let alone moderating a debate.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Buy more ammo

bill30097 on October 1, 2008 at 9:42 PM

“… and make their own decisions about whether or not I’ve done my job.”

Gwen, we are sure that you will do your job – that’s not the question.

We are just quite puzzled about whether you think your job is moderating debates fairly, or you job is supporting Democrats.

Given your literary aspirations, and non-disclosure thereof, it is a valid question. Capice?

drunyan8315 on October 1, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Amen. And don’t think for one moment that the folks at Fox aren’t ready to curry favor with their new socialist overlords.

ManlyRash on October 1, 2008 at 9:06 PM

I think we’ll start over with some nice young Conservative Info babes in New Texas….

sven10077 on October 1, 2008 at 9:43 PM

Why not the age of Cynthia McKinney, she’s running for POTUS too?

Bishop on October 1, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Buy more ammo

bill30097 on October 1, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Get a Lee Press and make your own….

sven10077 on October 1, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Buy more ammo

bill30097 on October 1, 2008 at 9:42 PM

um, You got that right Kimosabe!

TheSitRep on October 1, 2008 at 9:44 PM

drunyan8315 on October 1, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Gwen, we are wonder about why you didn’t forcefully recuse yourself from the Debate after Obama was nominated..

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Brit Hume tonight very strongly defended the impartiality of his “good friend”, Gwen Ifill.

Marcus on October 1, 2008 at 9:37 PM

And she may well be but it doesn’t matter when she is attempting to hawk her Obama book at the very same moment she is moderating a political debate. It’s called a professional conflict of interest- happens all the time in all sorts of professions. The solution is to remove any perception of impropriety. In this case that means Ifill can’t hawk her book and moderate a debate.

highhopes on October 1, 2008 at 9:46 PM

drunyan8315 on October 1, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Why didn’t you disclose the book deal in the first place?

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 9:46 PM

This helps Palin.

forest on October 1, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Seems like a pretty normal journalist to me.ima

Corrupt, indecent, unethical, ideologue.

Yup, that pretty much covers it.

How ’bout we not have one of these “journalist” scum moderating the debate at all?

And nobody has to destroy her reputation, she’s done a good enough job of that on her own.

Merovign on October 1, 2008 at 9:47 PM

Get a Lee Press and make your own….

sven10077 on October 1, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Ya still have to buy primers, poweder and shot.

I say scoop up all the ready made 9mm. 45acp, 308, 30,06, 5.56. 380 ++p and 22lr you can right now.

TheSitRep on October 1, 2008 at 9:47 PM

In this case that means Ifill can’t hawk her book and moderate a debate.

highhopes on October 1, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Exactly, now some people will vote for Obama just so she can sell a book.. see..

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 9:47 PM

It’s the pods. I tell you it is the pods. The body snatchers have come!!!!! Resistance is futile!!!!! They are here and you are next!!!!!!! Climb on the peace train!

bloggless on October 1, 2008 at 9:48 PM

Ifill, who is black. Asked if there were racial motives at play, she said, “I don’t know what it is. I find it curious.“

As with so many affirmative action hires, she is over her head and her white liberal puppeteers have to constantly lower the bar for her in order to keep her in the game.

She claims that this is odd, since she hasn’t even written the Obama section yet – “Ifill said Obama’s story, which she has yet to write, is only a small part of the book” – which is, of course, why she calls it “the age of Obama”.

She also pretends not to know why anyone would think she favors Obama, despite her hagiography in Essence, which sort of lets the whole “I’m black and Obama’s ‘black’ and isn’t this just so great” cat out of the bag. Gosh, where would anyone get the idea that she’s in the black tank?

As for McCain and Hume, what else are they going to say?

Jaibones on October 1, 2008 at 9:49 PM

She didn’t disclose the book deal in the first place because it would have looked bad. These people really think we are stupid.

bloggless on October 1, 2008 at 9:50 PM

A more respectable journalist should take her place.

Maybe Keith Olbermann from NBC.

faraway on October 1, 2008 at 9:50 PM

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 9:47 PM

No I don’t.

highhopes on October 1, 2008 at 9:50 PM

If Ifill is not tossed out on her a** before this debate, then the entire process is garbage.

It goes a looooooong way to say that of all the lefty, corrupt mainstream media, Ifill is proving herself to be among the most dishonest.

McCain-Palin needs to demand that she be replaced.

Period.

seanrobins on October 1, 2008 at 9:51 PM

Simple, nobody buys into a loser..

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 9:35 PM

What about all those who have bought into Barack Obama?

sansabelt on October 1, 2008 at 9:51 PM

It’s just been announced Ifill wil step aside for a more impartial moderator–Keith Olbermann.

JammieWearingFool on October 1, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Damn, you got me. I’m just reading through the posts and yours pops up. Almost lost my dinner on that one. Then I spotted the “tag”.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on October 1, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Ya still have to buy primers, poweder and shot.

TheSitRep on October 1, 2008 at 9:47 PM

You can melt your own bullets, primers and powder are cheap.

three runs of 500 rounds and the press has more than paid for itself. Spend the next month finding your barrels sweetload and you can craft defacto match loads as far as innate accuracy. But yeah I am buying some .38sp, and some 7.62*39.

sven10077 on October 1, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Ifill: I never told the Commission about the book

Of course she didn’t tell anybody about her pro Oblahblah book. The liberals are at war with conservative America, so they don’t tell the enemy where they’re going place land mines, or who the next liberal bomber will be. Gwen Ifill’s book is really her suicide bomb belt to take Sarah Pailin out.

byteshredder on October 1, 2008 at 9:53 PM

Please Texas, secede! Gimme a Crusade dammit!

Now is the time to do it. This is a Weimar moment.

Who is the General in charge of the Texas National Guard. I’m gonna offer my services, contingent he tells Washington “Up Yours!”.

I hope they assign me up north. My Dad’s gun is at Ft. Sill, OK.

Sapwolf on October 1, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Journalists should:

—Avoid conflicts of interest, real or perceived.

——————-
Thats the The first one.. under acting Independently

————-

Be Accountable
Journalists are accountable to their readers, listeners, viewers and each other.

Journalists should:

— Clarify and explain news coverage and invite dialogue with the public over journalistic conduct.

— Encourage the public to voice grievances against the news media.

— Admit mistakes and correct them promptly.

— Expose unethical practices of journalists and the news media.

— Abide by the same high standards to which they hold others.

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 9:54 PM

The New Media is Corrupt and they DONT GIVE A DAMN!

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 9:55 PM

You can melt your own bullets, primers and powder are cheap.

sven10077 on October 1, 2008 at 9:52 PM

I love it when you talk dirty.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on October 1, 2008 at 9:56 PM

As a D- English Student I’m Calling the News Media OUT!!!!!!

At least I passed!

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Gwen Ifill’s book is really her suicide bomb belt to take Sarah Pailin out.

byteshredder on October 1, 2008 at 9:53 PM

That’s almost poetic.

highhopes on October 1, 2008 at 9:56 PM

I can’t wait to read her chapters on J.C. Watts and Condoleeza Rice! :)

Oh, wait… :(

Tuning Spork on October 1, 2008 at 9:58 PM

Journalists should:

—Avoid conflicts of interest, real or perceived.

Gwen You Failed Journalism 101, Next moderator..

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 9:59 PM

So, um, I picked this thread in which to abandon my hope… this is slightly less depressing than the bailout thread, where I dare not even enter.

Why should I bother to teach my children integrity, when those around us have so willingly cast it aside? It would make sense to teach them, were there a good future ahead, but I’m starting to fear that the forecast is bleak indeed.

Anna on October 1, 2008 at 10:02 PM

This is the clincher; not telling the debate commission in my opinion requires the commission to make a change, now. This does not pass the smell test and we all know it.

d1carter on October 1, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Pitchforks and torches to the people (metaphorically speaking of course!)
Yes, if it had been a conservative the press would be spiraling out of orbit with outrage. But PBS moderator…crickets churping.

wepeople on October 1, 2008 at 10:05 PM

Please Texas, secede! Gimme a Crusade dammit!

Now is the time to do it. This is a Weimar moment.

I hope they assign me up north. My Dad’s gun is at Ft. Sill, OK.

Sapwolf on October 1, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Look seriously if all hell breaks loose we conservatives need to mass migrate to Texas…..with enough of us she’ll go if it is bad enough.

Texas is resource rich, foodstiff sufficient and the only resource she need more of is water. Join the TNG they have the 49th Lone Star division it is one of the best in the Nation…..any ex pliots need to join the TANG we need to grow Texas’ native strength as Barry gets finicky if it comes to that.

You figure if even half the red middle in the central flyover country comes with us we’ll be the second or third most powerful nation in the world with an unfettered economic policy and a good start at having a froggy Mexico start something with us. That’ll give us Chiuhuahua and Sonora when we’re through then we’ll have a two ocean navy.

I have faith in America and I love her dearly.

If Barry wins and he respects the Constitution and Bill of Rights our duty is to endure, if he arbogates that duty our duty is to destroy him, if we can’t do that our duty to our kids and selves is to start over in a newer better American state.

Conservatives this could be our finest hours if need be.

sven10077 on October 1, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Palin should say,
“Congrats on the book, Gwen! Say, why don’t you come by after the election, & I’ll help you get started on a book about the first female VP!”

jgapinoy on October 1, 2008 at 10:06 PM

McCain and his group just don’t get it. Enough of the nicey-nice with those who are really your enemy.

His team failed him in not demanding her withdrawl after finding out she would be moderator.

Team McCain isn’t looking so bright and clever right now — with this and how they’ve been micromanaging Palin lately…

eanax on October 1, 2008 at 10:07 PM

To borrow from the Andrew Sullivan, OBGYN/CPA school of logic, I’ll believe Ms. Ifill is unbiased when she doesn’t accept the job as Obama’s WH press secretary.

thirtypundit on October 1, 2008 at 10:07 PM

I love it when you talk dirty.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on October 1, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Just wait ’til I get husky with tips on freefloating or glass bedding barrels….

sven10077 on October 1, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Get a Lee Press and make your own….

sven10077 on October 1, 2008 at 9:44 PM

hehe…Just got my new one last week from Lee….My dad got me into making my own ammo, I like it!

JetBoy on October 1, 2008 at 10:08 PM

Anna on October 1, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Why? There’s always Texas…Texas has always been where Americans ran to start over. A lot of Americans died birthing Texas and are remembered as Texans. If Mccain won’t fight if the worse happens we MUST fight.

I will not have my child raised in some collectivist hellhole.

I am 36 years old I was raised to fight Communism and fight it I will with ballots as long as possible and with the other alternative if need be. If enough hard conservatives migrate to Texas we will start with nullifying as much Federal crap as we can, when the day comes we’ll tell them to go to hell if need be.

There is NOTHING to fear, live your lives but if he changes them too much crawl to Texas if need be….if you can’t crawl have one of us others carry you but come to Texas. Texas will save Representative Republican ideals one day soon if fate requires it. You can wail about how unfair the Barry Brigades are in Old America or if need be show them up and build a New America in Texas.

I’ll be with the Lone Star.

sven10077 on October 1, 2008 at 10:12 PM

I’m so FURIOUS that this could go on, without her being replaced… Well my husband AND I are so mad that NOW we are NOT going to watch the debate!

WE CAN’T STAND IT! Greta wrote that this should be ILLEGAL! ARE Republicans POWERLESS to stand UP to this travesty! ?????

moonlighter on October 1, 2008 at 10:15 PM

I am going to buy as much ammo as I can, and get what is left of my sorry ass to Texas ASAP. I assume it will be the first to secede.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on October 1, 2008 at 10:16 PM

No not powerless, spineless

InTheBellyoftheBeast on October 1, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Ifill needs an earfull.

profitsbeard on October 1, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Worst thing about this assault on our country–neither McCain, nor the debate commission, nor the spread-legged strumpet herself seem to understand that this is a massive conflict of interest.

Maybe Ifill has 6 kids fathered by Obama that she hasn’t disclosed either. I don’t believe she has the capacity to understand that would be a conflicting issue either.

HelenW on October 1, 2008 at 10:17 PM

InTheBellyoftheBeast on October 1, 2008 at 10:16 PM

an unfettered Texas will drill, drill offshore, set up nuke plants, and be a hell bent for leather young reckless Republic.

As long as she passes the US BoR at her Birth I’ll die a Texan if it comes to that.

If the bottom falls out we rally in Texas and then we raze anyone who hurts her.

sven10077 on October 1, 2008 at 10:20 PM

Letting the author of a soon-to-be-published Obama book moderate the VP debate is like letting sports referees place bets on sports teams. It’s a blatant conflict of interest. The media would be howling with rage if situation was slanted the other way. Instead, they’re covering for one of their liberal colleagues.

ajackson on October 1, 2008 at 10:22 PM

No not powerless, spineless

InTheBellyoftheBeast on October 1, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Any premise that expects conservatives to respond to the comments of Greta falls short of credibility.

highhopes on October 1, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Michelle posted this email address for the Debates Comission last night. I’ve written them once; think I’ll write again.

And here’s the e-mail address of Janet H. Brown, Executive Director of the Debates Commission jb@debates.org

Ifill’s arrogance is beginning to feel so very familiar–the arrogance of entitlement, something she shares with BO. What we are seeing is the logical result of decades of affirmative action and political correctness.

labwriter on October 1, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Has anyone seen Gwen and Michelle together? Are we sure who is moderating (interesting term, in and of itself) tomorrow? Is it Michelle or Ifill? Only her hairdresser knows for sure.

Fuquay Steve on October 1, 2008 at 10:32 PM

labwriter on October 1, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Pushback is a dish best served cold and hard.

sven10077 on October 1, 2008 at 10:32 PM

Greta is schooling a Politico butt kisser on conflicts of interest…

Sweet!

Mcguyver on October 1, 2008 at 10:37 PM

Politico Butt kisser says probably not many people in even know about this and won’t pay attention!!!!!!!!!!!

Good God!!! He’s going to need smelling salts to change the smell going into his nostrils.

Mcguyver on October 1, 2008 at 10:39 PM

yeah cause God knows the benchmark for ethics should be “can I get away with this”….

if America elects Barry she deserves whatever she gets.

sven10077 on October 1, 2008 at 10:40 PM

That’s what they’re counting on.

CanadianGuy on October 1, 2008 at 10:41 PM

Greta set him straight for sure

flyboy777 on October 1, 2008 at 10:41 PM

Greta is schooling a Politico butt kisser on conflicts of interest…

Sweet!

Mcguyver on October 1, 2008 at 10:37 PM

I was flipping channels and stumbled on Greta. This Politico clown was unbelievable. Is he an adult? To suggest that Ifill didn’t have an absolute obligation to disclose and get consent of both sides is absurd.

Someone actually pays that tool a salary?

BuckeyeSam on October 1, 2008 at 10:42 PM

McCain never wanted to win. Otherwise he would do something about this. And stop doing stupid things like supporting the socialist bailout.

Dr B on October 1, 2008 at 10:45 PM

LOL…..she’s the racist….voting for someone because of the color of his skin; ’cause it certainly ain’t because of the content of his character.

cough, ayers, cough

ex-Democrat on October 1, 2008 at 10:46 PM

It figures. I’ve seen comments from veterans of the media who say if this had happened a coule of decades ago, Ifill would have been fired and shown the door in a nanosecond for pulling this crap.

PBS; Jim Lehrer, who I presume has much to say on how his show is run; and whomever runs Washington Week have no ethics at all and it’s almost time to get the tar and feathers.

Dusty on October 1, 2008 at 10:46 PM

Just two words: Lindsey Graham! Moron of the year.

flytier on October 1, 2008 at 10:48 PM

I’ll tell ya, I was thinking the same thing earlier today.

McCain was about my 3rd choice. Wait. He wasn’t even one of my choices after the shamnesty debacle.

He just seems to get OFF on tweaking his own Party. Enough to throw the election? Heck, I wouldn’t doubt anything from him.

sigh

ex-Democrat on October 1, 2008 at 10:48 PM

bloggless on October 1, 2008 at 9:50 PM

If we were so smart, why didn’t anyone start bitching about it in August or September?

SnarkVader on October 1, 2008 at 10:50 PM

McCain never wanted to win.

Brilliant. He’s mega-pushing himself with 200+ fourteen-hour days in a row, taking mega-time away from his family, telling everyone he wants to be President, but he’s secretly lying, & only you know the truth.

jgapinoy on October 1, 2008 at 10:52 PM

McCain wants to win but he’s hamstrung because I think he doesn’t know how to function at optimum without MSM backing.

We’ll see I want to win this thing I don’t want a USSA or the Obama Youth Choir or the Omega-Alpha kidz to be happy….because their happiness will be built from the ashes of liberty.

sven10077 on October 1, 2008 at 10:54 PM

What’s your explanation? You really think he’s that stupid? It’ obvious he’s going to lose. The only question is if he’ll win any states at all.

Dr B on October 1, 2008 at 10:55 PM

McCain was about my 3rd choice. Wait. He wasn’t even one of my choices

As I recall he wasn’t really anyone’s frontrunner in the primaries. Wait. Guess who won.

Marcus on October 1, 2008 at 10:56 PM

Dr B on October 1, 2008 at 10:55 PM

Um, no….

sorry that’s not reality when he is losing in Texas, Arizone, Louisiana, Montana, Wyoming get back to me…..

define “states”.

sven10077 on October 1, 2008 at 10:56 PM

Um, no….

define “states”.

You’ll see.

Dr B on October 1, 2008 at 11:00 PM

You’ll see.

Dr B on October 1, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Then you’ll see all hell break loose because there’s no way that’s a legit result.

It *almost* happened in 2000 when Gore got greedy.

sven10077 on October 1, 2008 at 11:01 PM

I mentioned elsewhere that part of the book is about Artur Davis, Congressman from Alabma who supposedly sent Hannity a letter saying he’s looked deeper into Fannie Mae and the Dems were at fault and he was wrong all this time. If the letter is true, she’s probably already shredded the chapters on poor old Artur and is looking for a replacement. Perhaps Marion Barry or Kwamie Lassiter would fit the bill.

Mr_Magoo on October 1, 2008 at 11:05 PM

I’ve got a pretty long track record covering politics and news, so I’m not particularly worried that one-day blog chatter is going to destroy my reputation,” Ifill said. “The proof is in the pudding.

OK, for the last goddam time THE PROOF OF THE PUDDING IS IN THE F**KING EATING!!!!!

I can’t believe I had to come off HotAir hiatus for this, but some things just can’t be allowed to go unchallenged.

fiatboomer on October 1, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Still waiting for an answer as to why no one made an issue of this back in August or September.

SnarkVader on October 1, 2008 at 11:13 PM

From what I’ve read, the Left seems to now be playing the “tough shit” card, essentially saying her work on the book was public knowledge, and there’s no way McCain couldn’t have known about it, and his own fault for being so stupid.

Think about that for a minute.

Following their “logic”, what they’re also saying is that since, in their eyes, Barack Obama and Joe Biden are the most intelligent, all-knowing beings in the known universe, they knew all about the book Ifill was writing and openly supported her being named as debate moderator, thereby willfully stacking the deck in their favor, presumably, to help Biden avoid being asked any difficult questions.

Where’s the “new politics” of Hopenchange?

More importantly, what are you afraid of, Joe?

Surely, someone as wrapped up in the banner of open and transparent bipartisanship as Obama would have us believe him to be would speak out against naming a blatant Obama supporter with a financial interest in the outcome of the election as the moderator of such an important debate.

Unless, of course, all his empty rhetoric is, well, empty rhetoric.

Bruce in NH on October 1, 2008 at 11:13 PM

General Christopher Powers is the commanding general of the Texas State Guard. Unfortunately, their headquarters is Camp Mabry in the People’s Democratic Republic of Austin.

If Texas does secede, we’re joining OPEC!

McCain/Palin 08

gordo on October 1, 2008 at 11:15 PM

Check the video of Dennis Miller on Fox. I think he says it pretty well. Palin should bring pepper spray for Joe Biden and a book cover for Ifill to sign.

Ronnie on October 1, 2008 at 11:15 PM

Palin should say,

jgapinoy on October 1, 2008 at 10:06 PM

“Congrats on the book About Obama and Black people in Politics, Gwen! Say, why don’t you come by after the election, & I’ll help you get started on a book about ALL Working women regardless of, age, race, religion, family status, national origin, military status, sexual orientation, disability or Political Ideology !”

Think that would work?

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Ronnie on October 1, 2008 at 11:15 PM

Miller cracks me up!

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 11:18 PM

If Texas does secede, we’re joining OPEC!

McCain/Palin 08

gordo on October 1, 2008 at 11:15 PM

Nah we’ll make an American offshoot. Imagine a stern Texan foreign policy aimed tsraight at Hugo Chavez’ head……

great things are around the corner if need be.

sven10077 on October 1, 2008 at 11:19 PM

Don’t eat her Tapioca!

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 11:20 PM

On a related note, please join the wondrous new Facebook group: The Church of Obama the Redeemer.

Andrew D on October 1, 2008 at 11:22 PM

Just wait ’til I get husky with tips on freefloating or glass bedding barrels….

sven10077 on October 1, 2008 at 10:07 PM

*laying back…smoking a cig*

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on October 1, 2008 at 11:25 PM

There may yet be a silver lining to all this. If Palin does well in the debate, her achievement will only be enhanced, and Biden’s failure magnified, by the presence of a conflicted moderator. This is the kind of thing that plays well across the heartland, and in the battleground states: “Did you see how well that Sarah Palin did, even though the debate was run by some woman from PBS that worships Obama?” It would go a long way toward clearing off the “lightweight” cobwebs that have hung around her for the last couple of weeks.

On the other hand, if Ifill really goes into the tank and obviously tips the debate for Biden, it could inject some much-needed energy into the Republican side. Even the blue-collar Democrats might not react well to severe moderator misbehavior… and, given the Obamanoid’s sense of invincibility, and iron confidence the media will never turn against either The One or one of their own, I think Ifill will be tempted to put her thumb on the scale.

Best of all would be if she did something stupid like send the questions to Biden in advance, and the truth comes out. Those behind-the-scenes memos from increasingly uncomfortable idealists in newsrooms make me wonder if somebody with serious dirt might be close to the breaking point – maybe someone that sincerely admires McCain from his media love affair days, or knows enough of the inside story on Obama to be getting nervous about the way things are going.

Doctor Zero on October 1, 2008 at 11:28 PM

Here’s the phone number of the Presidential Debate Comm.
If you would like to weigh in on this (202) 872-1020. It took me hours to get through, so I am assuming a lot of people were calling about this.

Twoconservative on October 1, 2008 at 11:28 PM

Blog chatter is just the noise of the little people. The real reputation destroyers run government funded television programs, huh Gwen?

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Pipsqueak wench doesn’t have the stones to hang in the free market and dares question our power….

funny stuff…..ask Thunder Dan Rather how well you can ignore the blogs if we get the goods.

sven10077 on October 1, 2008 at 11:34 PM

I’ve got news for Gwen—–her reputation is already in the toilet.

When the Great Recorder comes to write against your name
It matters not whether you won or lost—but how you played the game

coastiehooligan on October 1, 2008 at 11:36 PM

Anyone critical of Ifill or Obama is a racist (sarcasm off)

Captain America on October 1, 2008 at 11:40 PM

They’re just reeling from this. You know they are. They had the fix all set up, and now they’re just going to be stubborn and stay with Gwen. That’s their best option.

They wanted a woman…a black woman…a black liberal woman, in the room to take the heat off Biden. There is no way they are going to change the moderator, because the dynamic would be revealed for all to see. They would replace her with a woman…any liberal woman, and then the strategy would be in plain sight.

The last thing they want is a male moderator…any liberal male moderator.

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 11:50 PM