Video: “This debate is going to be a trainwreck of astonishing magnitude”

posted at 11:50 am on September 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

“People will wish that ‘Planet of the Apes’ was real and was happening now” pretty well sums up my feelings. Reportedly Palin’s burning the midnight oil to cram while Biden’s busy mastering the fine art of not coming off like a complete jackass. The predictable early odds, according to the new Marist poll: Greasy Joe for the win and the ‘Cuda to emerge as more likeable.

Via the Standard, ex-McCain advisor Mike Murphy notes that there are only about 20 “typical” questions that are ever asked at these things so our heroine should manage to rock on reasonably well. I think.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What was that? A half-hearted attempt at an optimistic statement about Palin? Why ruin your perfect record?

fossten on September 30, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Damn it, Cameron Diaz assure me the 2000 election was all about “if you think rape should be legal,” but Bush has done NOTHING in his term to legalize rape. When will the GOP move on this important issue!

We need the candidates to address the real issues!

saint kansas on September 30, 2008 at 11:55 AM

I have a feeling she’ll get one or two ‘non-typical’ questions. The media has a perfect record to keep up, too.

BadgerHawk on September 30, 2008 at 11:56 AM

venicesurfer on September 30, 2008 at 11:58 AM

venicesurfer on September 30, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Obvious troll is obvious.

fossten on September 30, 2008 at 11:59 AM

palin is stupid.

venicesurfer on September 30, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Name 5 Defensive starters of the Green Bay Packers. You have 1 minute to answer or else you’re stupid.

BadgerHawk on September 30, 2008 at 12:00 PM

She’s gonna have to project a sharp contrast between her freshness and Slow Joe’s Beltway wrinkles and grime.

a capella on September 30, 2008 at 12:00 PM

How bad do you think it will sting Greasy Joe when he is bested by a beautiful woman?

bloggless on September 30, 2008 at 12:01 PM

venicesurfer on September 30, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Time’s up.

BadgerHawk on September 30, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Genius Joe Biden is watching videotapes of Lincoln’s television debates for pointers.

saint kansas on September 30, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Wasn’t that long ago Jimmah the nuclear physicist took on Ronnie the nitwit actor.

How’d that pan out?

fogw on September 30, 2008 at 12:01 PM

If she is smart, she comes out in the opening statment and says, I am NOT debating for McCain, but for myself.

All views expressed here will be MY views.

And then, unleash the Cuda….

Romeo13 on September 30, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Venicesurfer ( is that you sean Punn) define: Paniculous

bloggless on September 30, 2008 at 12:02 PM

saint kansas on September 30, 2008 at 12:01 PM

I also heard that Moses is giving him pointers on swaying the crowd.

bloggless on September 30, 2008 at 12:03 PM

The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama (Hardcover)
by Gwen Ifill (Author)

This title will be released on January 20, 2009.

ninjapirate on September 30, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Her problem in the past interviews is that she has been forced to be a surrogate for McCain, and espouse his viewpoint… which even those who study it can not always understand… – Romeo13 on September 30, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Odds are that she will go into this debate still shackled by Mac’s bipartisan chains. If so, Biden will field dress what’s left of her at the end of the debate.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 12:04 PM

To bad the questioning is gonna be along the lines of “Sen Biden what are you feelings on the Russian/Georgia conflict?” ‘Gov Palin, explain history from the dawn of man kind, cite your refrences”

Rbastid on September 30, 2008 at 12:05 PM

She debated two other guys in the gubernatorial debates in Alaska and beat them both. She ain’t gonna give up like that.

I like how the expectations are set very low though. However, if she does exceptionally well people are just going to say “well she spent a lot of time memorizing”. If she doesn’t do well, they would say she is not prepared to be VP.

Tough situation to be in.

justinok on September 30, 2008 at 12:05 PM

The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama (Hardcover)

ninjapirate on September 30, 2008 at 12:05 PM

You know we are going to have a 10 minute discussion discussing the pro’s and con’s of president roosevelt going on tv after the stock market crash.

Aren’t we?

lorien1973 on September 30, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Gawwwd! Gaaawwwwwwd save US!

freeus on September 30, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Debates don’t show the true side of how someone will run the country. I will continue to Support Gov. Palin regardless of how well she does on the debate because she supports the same beliefs I do. I want my team to win, but I am not going to turn my back on my favorite players just because they make a few errors on the playing field.

mindhacker on September 30, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Palin’s going to get creamed because McCain’s policies are unimaginative, not sexy, and not articulated or packaged well… he’s running as Mr Republican who sometimes goes both ways and not as Teddy Roosevelt… his campaign is insane…

ninjapirate on September 30, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Come on…

Only two reasons to tune in:

1) To see how hot Sara is
2) To laugh with co-workers next day about the Gaffmaster’s latest gems

pherrman on September 30, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Tough situation to be in.

justinok on September 30, 2008 at 12:05 PM

If she does well they’ll say she stunk up the joint.
If she does badly they’ll say she stunk up the joint.

The reviews are already written in stone.

fogw on September 30, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Comparing Palin to Reagan is silly. Yes the MSM called him stupid too but the man had been talking about foreign policy for decades before he became President and served two terms as a Governor. They just called him stupid because they disagreed with him but even they knew that he had spent considerable time on the issues.

Speedwagon82 on September 30, 2008 at 12:11 PM

ninjapirate on September 30, 2008 at 12:08 PM

She has to know that SS McCain is sinking quick. She should use this debate as a springboard to 2012 or to save herself from further embarrassment. Either way.

lorien1973 on September 30, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Allah, I love ya but you can be a real smart ass sometimes.

Kick butt, Sarah!

argos on September 30, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Of course I think/hope/pray that Palin will pull out a showstopping gamechanger, but I’m also a realist, so I wouldn’t bet on it. Regardless, with all the terrible news we’ve had to endure lately, this is welcome relief. Thanks for posting it.

JustTruth101 on September 30, 2008 at 12:12 PM

The reviews are already written in stone.

fogw on September 30, 2008 at 12:10 PM

No, the reviews are just already written. Bet on it. Just like the election is already written for some.

Enoxo on September 30, 2008 at 12:13 PM

saint kansas on September 30, 2008 at 12:01 PM

I Just got that. Damn Funny!

Amadeus on September 30, 2008 at 12:14 PM

The major problem is them restricting her to McCain’s platform. For instance, the Pakistan “gaffe.” They should have let her opinion stand, and just say that they agree to disagree. They don’t have to always agree on all the topics. Forcing her to be McCain in a dress is what is hurting the campaign, and her.

Enoxo on September 30, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Off topic (a little), but: check out the Cleveland Plain Dealer’s full-page “visual op-ed” from Sunday’s paper.

McCain hides behind a Palin cut-out mask, while Barry Obama cuts down a noose.

saint kansas on September 30, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Yes Allah, we all know you think Palin is an idiot bimbo. Me, I’m going to reserve my judgment until after the debate.

Kronos on September 30, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Those 20 questions or so, just got shredded. They will go with the other 20 questions now.

Ex: What did John McCain wear to the 1989 Presidential Ball and did he do the waltz or the cha-cha?

TheHat on September 30, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Speedwagon82 on September 30, 2008 at 12:11 PM

After all of his accomplishments on the world stage, the MSM has never stopped calling him stupid. Oh, except for one day, the day of his funeral.

BTW, Palin is brimming with Reagan’s attributes.

fogw on September 30, 2008 at 12:17 PM

All views expressed here will be MY views.

And then, unleash the Cuda….

Romeo13 on September 30, 2008 at 12:02 PM

The problem is that Palin has so far publicly expressed exactly one opinion (domestic drilling) that the general electorate does not see as a bit extreme (her social views) or a lie (spending and the bridge to nowhere, foreign policy experience, etc.). Unleash her? What, exactly, do you expect her to say that will win over the public in this debate? All she has is folksy, and folksy don’t cut it this year.

Big S on September 30, 2008 at 12:18 PM

But in a debate, Biden will have to answer them too.

This has been the problem with the two MSM interviews with Palin–the questions were perfectly rigged, and Palin’s answers edited, to make viewers think Palin is ignorant or stupid. In the Gibson interview, editors would show a Gibson question, then show Palin’s answer to a DIFFERENT question, making the viewer think that Palin didn’t hear the question! The MSM have purposely asked Palin questions on which she is weak, and ignored those on which she is strong (cutting wasteful spending, fighting corruption, military issues, energy issues).

Joe Biden has made his share of gaffes lately (FDR on TV in 1929, no clean-coal plants in PA, send them to China), but the MSM sweeps them under the rug, while giving “exclusive” interviews to Sarah Palin to let her “step in it”, then they say they’re doing McCain/Palin a favor!

In a debate, Joe Biden has an equal opportunity to open mouth and insert foot, and Palin can capitalize on them, if she knows the “right” answer. She could also bring up some Biden gaffes that have been downplayed in the media–for example, on the coal-plants issue, she could say, “I heard that you are against clean-coal plants in Pennsylvania, and want them outsourced to China. Under the McCain/Palin plan, clean-coal plants would be built in coal-rich areas such as PA, OH, and WV, providing energy to America and thousands of new blue-collar jobs in those states.”

Palin needs to bring up issues on which SHE is strong–such as energy issues, being Commander-in-Chief of the Alaska National Guard (senting them to Louisiana for help in cleaning up after Hurricane Gustav), and making tough decisions against corruption in her state.

In a DEBATE, the MSM can’t edit out her good answers and only present her gaffes, and can’t edit out Biden’s gaffes either. She’ll need a lot of preparation, to be sure, but we need to remember that she had to debate a sitting Governor of Alaska in the primary, then a former (Democrat) Governor in the general election, and apparently won both of them.

She definitely needs to hit a home run here, but she probably has less to fear from a debate than a one-on-one interview.

From then on, she should do NO further one-on-one interviews with the MSM–but appear on Sunday talk shows with a Democrat present. In that case, both will have to answer the same questions, and the MSM will have to scale back the “trap” questions, because the Democrat might not be able to answer either.

Steve Z on September 30, 2008 at 12:19 PM

mindhacker on September 30, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Bingo!

hawkdriver on September 30, 2008 at 12:20 PM

ninjapirate on September 30, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Yep. Nice go John. You are gonna ruin the national political future of Palin with one of the most inept campaigns in history.

He gets the nomination because of a split between Romney and Huckabee, and the ONLY good move he made was picking Palin. Then he pisses it all away running a crap campaign.

Even if Palin does well in the debates, the leftist MSM will attack her relentlessly, and it won’t make a difference.

Obama Socialism: Bring it ON!

Sapwolf on September 30, 2008 at 12:20 PM

BadgerHawk on September 30, 2008 at 12:00 PM

To which Palin will reply, “Name the five starters on the 1982 Wasilla Warriors. I’ll give you a hint. I was one of them!”

Steve Z on September 30, 2008 at 12:23 PM

mindhacker on September 30, 2008 at 12:08 PM

davidk on September 30, 2008 at 12:25 PM

McCain a rebel? NOT!

Frankly, I’ll take my chances with a completely new generation of young Republicans rather than the liberal spendthrifts and chicken shits of the existing leadership of the Repub. Party.

Sapwolf on September 30, 2008 at 12:26 PM

If we’re honest, we’ll admit that Sarah Palin, however much we like her, is no more qualified to be vice president than Barack Obama is to be president.

That said, I still hope she does well. It’s a huge challenge to not only bone up on the issues, but to also bone up on McCain’s view of the issues. That’s a lot of work for anybody.

paul006 on September 30, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Kronos on September 30, 2008 at 12:17 PM

How many “Palin is an idiot” posts do we need Allah? Way to go keeping up our morale in these dark times!

zmrzlina on September 30, 2008 at 12:27 PM

In a DEBATE, the MSM can’t edit out her good answers…

Steve Z on September 30, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Sure they can. They can just give her questions she may have no idea about.

Enoxo on September 30, 2008 at 12:27 PM

I hope beyond hope that all of this has been the biggest rope-a-dope, October surprise in planning, and that Palin was being held away, and gave bad interviews to make Biden cocky and misstep.

I know it probably isn’t, though, and hope she gives a good enough debate to not make it any worse.

Enoxo on September 30, 2008 at 12:30 PM

So all of a sudden “debates don’t matter.” Uh huh.

robblefarian on September 30, 2008 at 12:30 PM

ninjapirate on September 30, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Kind of reminds me of this little ditty.

Thanks Bambi for corrupting our children.

Over.

1GooDDaDDy on September 30, 2008 at 12:31 PM

And let’s not forget that if the brown stuff hits the fan, secession is always out there down the road. – Sapwolf on September 30, 2008 at 12:26 PM

And it’s looking better and better every day.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 12:31 PM

venicesurfer on September 30, 2008

Obviously the high toxicity of the waters at Venice Beach have consumed your brain. Or maybe you just scored some bad pocololo

JonPrichard on September 30, 2008 at 12:34 PM

The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama (Hardcover)
by Gwen Ifill (Author)

This title will be released on January 20, 2009.

ninjapirate on September 30, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Well, ISN’T THAT SPECIAL.

Ifill SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO “MODERATE” THE DEBATE.

Brat on September 30, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Name 5 Defensive starters of the Green Bay Packers.

What year?

MarkTheGreat on September 30, 2008 at 12:39 PM

justinok on September 30, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Welcome to the world of the predefined narrative! And we’ve got schmucks on the right ready to confirm it.

spmat on September 30, 2008 at 12:40 PM

I am reserving judgment until the debate actually happens. I actually think the lowering of expectations is a good thing. But I also agree that the result is already written in stone – I actually watched the debate last Friday night, but everything I read after that (by the MSM) leads me to believe there were actually 2 debtates and they were reporting on the one I did not watch.

HawaiiLwyr on September 30, 2008 at 12:41 PM

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 12:04 PM

The dweebs standing at the podium are irrelevant to the modern concept of a political debate. All that matters is what the so-called ‘moderators’ say.

My prediction: the questions will focus on the ultra-liberal portions of the Maveric’s ‘position.’ Stuff like Gitmo, immigration and Global Warming. John McCain is solid on the war in Iraq, but he could easily spend 90 minutes arguing with himself on any other topic. No one on earth could look smarter than Sarah Palin has while trying to DEFEND that kind of political schizophrenia.

Nothing that Sarah Palin says in response to any of those questions can possibly be the ‘right’ answer. And nothing Joe Biden says in response to anything will matter at all.

logis on September 30, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Washington could use some cleaning up. San Fran Nan didn’t do it. Palin’s done it in Alaska. I’m not sure what she could do as VP, but if America wants to put both the media and the corrupt Congress on alert, they could do worse than electing McCain/Palin. If we elect McCain in spite of the crap they’ve thrown at Palin, the media and the dems they’re in the tank for will HAVE to know they’ve lost their credibility and our goodwill.

I think Sarah needs to take a look at the article about some Chicago bar having a simulated nude portrait of her and then come out swinging and give the political/media establishment hell.

I wish we could have a support line to her like we have to support the troops. Let her know that she is “we the little people” and we need to win. Terrorists hit the Twin Towers and America fought back. The media that has lied about Palin and treated her like a circus clown hates the real America and wants to crush her as our representative. But we will fight back. I want her to know that.

justincase on September 30, 2008 at 12:42 PM

My God the negativity is just brimming at this site, these days. Way to go, Guys!

tickleddragon on September 30, 2008 at 12:43 PM

I got around to finally watching the Palin speech from the convention. She was fantastic!! And I say this as a dem. The right has made a tremendous error in judgment from calling her up from the minors to soon too the big stage. Palin is not stupid, from all accounts she has been a very effective Governor, and if she was interviewed about provincial concerns of Alaska she would come off as very knowledgeable and competent.

The problem is that she just hasn’t given much thought to national concerns. There is not one position paper from her about foreign policy. The republican party might have just shot themselves in the foot, by putting her on the national stage too soon before she ready, and permantly damaging her national aspirations.

Ric on September 30, 2008 at 12:45 PM

“. .like all the train wrecks throughout history morphed into two giant Voltron train wrecks and smashed into each other into top speed . .”

That was better than a Levin rant.

- The Cat

MirCat on September 30, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Those 20 “typical” questions were drafted before the “Palin era” and are now obselete. Now all questions are dredged from insane Wikipedia entries scribed by demons in underwear in dark, dank basements who have Al gore posters on every wall.

darwin on September 30, 2008 at 12:46 PM

“palin is stupid. she will surely come out of the debate hurting mccain beyond repair.”

Biden is a corrupt, incompetent jackass who shouldn’t be permitted anywhere ear sharp objects.

The sad thing is, he’s the best part of the Democrat ticket, in that as a classic buffoon, he adds the comic relief that the other completely worthless circus clown on the ticket, Barack Obama, is unable to provide.

NoDonkey on September 30, 2008 at 12:46 PM

McCain has been using Palin wrong. (Either that or he has realized he made a monumental mistake in his choice and wants to minimize her exposure…perhaps McCain is waiting for Biden to drop out, Hillary to drop in, and then McCain can make his last minute, maverick-like, VP substitute.)

McCain took the seemingly perfect outsider and has been trying to turn her into a Washington insider.

albill on September 30, 2008 at 12:47 PM

palin is stupid.

venicesurfer on September 30, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Word is Palin picked the Redskins over Dallas. Whatcha gonna say now chump?

darwin on September 30, 2008 at 12:50 PM

How much experience do Barney Frank and Chris Dodd have? I’ve concluded that no matter how good a person we elect, once they get to Washington they will crave media approval. The only people we can trust are the ones who are immune to the power of the Ring. I say let’s send in a hobbit. Especially one who has already looked Saruman in the eye and knows he’s not her friend.

justincase on September 30, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Word is Palin picked the Redskins over Dallas. Whatcha gonna say now chump? – darwin on September 30, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Um….she has a bright future in sportscasting after Nov 4?

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 12:51 PM

venicesurfer on September 30, 2008 at 11:58 AM

I have to bite…

Ok… so, I’m suppose to vote for Obama because Palin is stupid? Or are you just concerned that she is simply making McCain’s win harder to come by?

I’ve been watching the polls and when Palin speaks McCain’s poll numbers generaly stay the same or go up. When McCain speaks his poll numbers generally go down.

I think McCain’s biggest enemy is himself, for the most part.

Lawrence on September 30, 2008 at 12:51 PM

I think McCain’s biggest enemy is himself, for the most part. – Lawrence on September 30, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Agreed. And the tragedy is that he will destroy her national political future when he goes down.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Name 5 Defensive starters of the Green Bay Packers.
What year?

MarkTheGreat on September 30, 2008 at 12:39 PM

You don’t even KNOW?

Hehe. Idiot!

No offense sweetheart; I’m sure you’re fully qualified to post on whichever podunk political forum you started on. But this is the big league now. I think it’s safe now to say that you have no business trying to express your ill-informed and horrifically un-prepared opinion here now, or at any time in the future.

If it makes you feel any better though, you’re also probably a child molester. (Please note that I apologize in advance if it turns out you can provide documented and incontrovertable evidence proving that you’re not. But in the meantime, I will assume that you are and inform everyone of that fact. It’s all part of my ethical due diligence in convincing everyone to believe my preconceived opinions regarding you.)

logis on September 30, 2008 at 12:52 PM

HAHAHAHA! Red State Update was hilarious this time. Thanks for the laugh. ‘Biden reminds you of the loudmouthed Yankee at the bar last week that you beat with a pool stick.’ LOL!

ThackerAgency on September 30, 2008 at 12:53 PM

The VP debate has the same format as the first Presidential debate, so you can’t limit Palin’s preparation to “the top twenty questions.”

See, this is where I think commentators have a point when it comes to “letting Palin be Palin.” I have done formal media training, to teach me how to use talking points in media interviews and so forth. (I’ve only done a few media interviews in local markets, so what the hell do I know?) But anyway, it’s really hard to learn.

My guess is that Palin’s incoherent answers were the result of her trying to learn to use talking points, moreso than Palin being a giant dumbass. [Even though it comes out making her look like a dumbass].

There comes a point when, if you don’t have the time to get Palin up to speed and get her some “sea legs”, that you don’t even try to train her. Just stick her out there and focus on giving her substantive answers, and direct her to answer the question that is asked. It won’t be as effective as if she was fully polished in how to use talking points, but it avoids trainwrecks like the Katie Couric interview.

Outlander on September 30, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Lawrence on September 30, 2008 at 12:51 PM

You can track the beginning of McCain’s final ascent in the Primaries to the very DAY his campaign ran out of money.

The Republican ticket is the reverse of the Democrat ticket in more ways than one.

logis on September 30, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Questions from the Gwen Ifill:

“Senator Biden, please tell us how you managed to be a successful US Senator while commuting home every day to be the best father evah!”

“Governor Palin, please tell us how you could possibly manage to focus on the pressures of the Vice Presidency without neglecting your family and your downs syndrome newborn.”

BacaDog on September 30, 2008 at 1:04 PM

I want to be optimistic.

It’s really hard. Just a couple of weeks ago the attacks by the near dead dinosaur media amused me.

Today our gal has been brought down to size by none other than Katie Couric?

I’m praying for a turn around here, it’s starting to look like the same old tricks and tactics are about derail this campaign.

Rough Couple of Weeks.

Dorvillian on September 30, 2008 at 1:09 PM

mindhacker on September 30, 2008 at 12:08 PM

You hacked into my mind too!

Pat in NC on September 30, 2008 at 1:11 PM

…I’m trying to get the image of people clawing at “eye-lice” out of my head…”Hey, Mr. Pharmicist, you got any eye-lice drops?”….

Jackie and Dunlap…next to Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog, the conscience of the nation…number one as conscience after the nation’s had at least a sixpack….

Puritan1648 on September 30, 2008 at 1:16 PM

I want to be optimistic... The media is biased beyond belief, but that’s no excuse for her poor performance as of late.
Dorvillian on September 30, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Finally — some ‘straight talk’ around here.

You can love McCain/Palin all you want — but you CANNOT deny that Palin has looked completely absurd lately. Rookie mistake after rookie mistake. She sounds like she should be running for chair of the local school board — not the vice president of the United States.

thePajamaPundit on September 30, 2008 at 1:19 PM

BadgerHawk on September 30, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Aaron Kampman
AJ Hawk
Nick Barnett
Charles Woodson
Atari Bigby

Or if you prefer:

Willie Davis
Ron Kostelnik
Lee Roy Caffey
Herb Adderley
Willie Wood

Or, although we’d prefer to forget:

Alden Roche
Clarence “Big Cat” Williams
Fred Carr
Willie Buchanon
Ken Ellis

Or, for that matter, what McCain knew:

Bob Skoronski
Fuzzy Thurston
Ken Bowman
Jerry Kramer
Forrest Gregg

We now return you to regular programming

Mr. D on September 30, 2008 at 1:22 PM

“Venice Surfer” isn’t exactly a blog name that inspires credibility or respect.

Star20 on September 30, 2008 at 1:23 PM

How much experience do Barney Frank and Chris Dodd have?

justincase

…the correct question is “what sort of experience to Frank and Dodd have?”….

…hookers have experience…junkies have experience….

…Frank has experience that would stand him in good stead were he to seek to run a homosexual prostitution ring…wait a minute!

…on the other hand, Dodd would make a dandy loan officer…until he gets caught….

To answer your question, though, they have between them about as many years in Congress as they might be sentenced, were they to actually be called to the bar in a more just, less celebrity-mad nation….

Puritan1648 on September 30, 2008 at 1:23 PM

thePajamaPundit on September 30, 2008 at 1:19 PM

And Biden looks and sounds like my drunk great uncle who never knows when to shut up, which is hardly vice presidential. Don’t complain about people coming to the defense of Gov. Palin when the crap hurled at her by the msm and HotHair is nonstop.

Blake on September 30, 2008 at 1:26 PM

BadgerHawk on September 30, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Mr. D on September 30, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Are you as incompetant at committing incest as you are at telling time, or do you only have the one skill?

logis on September 30, 2008 at 1:31 PM

I’m looking forward to the discussion about Alaska’s bridge to nowhere vs. Delaware’s bridge to nowhere. I can hear Slo-Joe’s retort now:
“Yeah, but MY bridge to nowhere lets a lot more people get there a whole lot faster!”

I expect Plug’s performance to be so buffoonish that even SNL won’t be able to figure out how to make it any funnier.

dinobalz on September 30, 2008 at 1:35 PM

that was great lol

trailortrash on September 30, 2008 at 1:35 PM

The upward trajectory of Jackie Roades and Dunlap in my political estimation continues unabated. They would seem to be the brightest pundits on this blog, fer damn sure.

As for the debate, I invite each and every one of you to ask yourself before, during and after the debate, this one simple question:

Would you rather live in a society governed exclusively by Sarah Palin, or by Joe Biden?

And when you see the light, walk toward it, and ask yourself another question:

Would you rather live in a society governed exclusively by Barack Obama, or by John McCain?

It’s not a hard question, and it’s not a trick. Trust your instincts.

Jaibones on September 30, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Why are will still using the outdated debate formula? Tell me why this is the best format to get the candidates message out! I see no reason to get the candidates next to each other and argue their positions. If they are strong in their convictions, they won’t swayed. If they can be, I won’t vote for them.

Also, debating gives some measure of legitimacy to your opponents point of view no mater how ridiculous it may be. Why give the other side an opportunity to speak on your dime, and then rain on your parade. (2 metaphors one sentence)

These events always seems to be moderated in an uneven manner The questions seem to be slanted toward a certain ideology, or asked in a way that pushes the answer in a certain direction.

I want to know what a person is going to do in important life changing circumstances, and how they feel on the issues that are really important. I don’t care how they come across on television. Liked Nixon better than Kennedy any day.

Tommy_G on September 30, 2008 at 1:37 PM

No, don’t blame McLiar. Blame Huckabeen and his dazed bigoted followers for spreading hate and lies against Romney. They created this mess, and they are damn proud of it!

Shelby on September 30, 2008 at 1:37 PM

…even SNL won’t be able to figure out how to make it any funnier.

dinobalz on September 30, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Uh…SNL doesn’t know how to make anything funnier. Is this a trap or sumpin’?

Jaibones on September 30, 2008 at 1:38 PM

logis on September 30, 2008 at 1:31 PM

I wasn’t reading the thread at the time of the first post. And while I have many skills, I generally don’t share them with strangers who mention incest. But have a nice day and remember, spell check is your friend.

Mr. D on September 30, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Question for Gwen Ifill:

Can you please tell us how a woman who is neither bright, nor well educated, nor in any way attractive gets a long-running gig on television? (Hint: I think I know the answer.)

Jaibones on September 30, 2008 at 1:41 PM

logis on September 30, 2008 at 1:31 PM

You actually have some sort of measurement for determining competency of incest? Like go/no go? Pass/fail?

darwin on September 30, 2008 at 1:45 PM

I want to be optimistic… The media is biased beyond belief, but that’s no excuse for her poor performance as of late.
Dorvillian on September 30, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Finally — some ’straight talk’ around here.

thePajamaPundit on September 30, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Stunning!!! There actually are realistic posters on HotAir!

Shelby on September 30, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Red State Update Tour de Force!!!

Movin to Canada,eh!

Didn’t SNL,do a skit back
when called “Lowered Expectations”!Haha.

canopfor on September 30, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Why are will still using the outdated debate formula?
Tommy_G on September 30, 2008 at 1:37 PM

“Outdated?” Read the Lincoln-Douglas debates sometime. (Seriously, it’s worth the effort aside from just learning the proper format.)

This idiotic soundbite contest is a recent invention. We need to trash it and go back to the days of REAL debates; where you have a clearly stated resolution and the participants discuss THAT back and forth between themselves, instead of responding to a series of infantile ‘gotcha’ snipes thinly disguised as questions.

logis on September 30, 2008 at 1:47 PM

No matter what happens, the MSM will portray Palin as a ditz and ignore Biden’s buffoonery. Hell, Fox News will probably screw it up too.

I just pray that there enough synapses firing on November 4 to win this thing. That includes congressional seats.

pugwriter on September 30, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Something is wrong at HotAir when a 28 year-old emerging conservative pundit is being hailed and the Republican Governor of Alaska/VP candidate is being trashed.

BigD on September 30, 2008 at 1:48 PM

We have to remember that Obama’s been on the trail for nineteen months and almost every day during that time he made gaffes and extraordinary comments that for any other politician would have been game ending, but he had one thing the other candidates did not have, the cheering section of the LMSM.
Gov Palin has only had a few weeks in the limelight, so it’s to be expected that she is not a polished diamond like say Joe ‘FDR in 1929′ Biden or Barack 59 States Obama.
When Biden or Obama make mistakes or inaccuracies or gaffes the media anchors, interviewers, reporters almost immediately step in to correct, revise, or even edit out those whoppers. When Gov Palin makes minor errors, it’s the end of the world.

eaglewingz08 on September 30, 2008 at 1:50 PM

logis on September 30, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Mr. D on September 30, 2008 at 1:41 PM

You go, Mr. D! It was pretty obvious that you came later to the thread.

And love the “spell check is you friend” response to the know-it-alls!

Shelby on September 30, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Speedwagon82 on September 30, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Don’t know where you were in 1980, but I recall vividly where I was. I’d spent the previous four years working for a major building supply company and as a result of the “booming Carter economy”, in January 1980 found myself suddenly unemployed. That allowed me to spend a lot of time as witness to two natural disasters; Mt. St. Helen’s volcano, and the media coverage of the 1980 presidential campaign. I invite you to go back to the print media of that year and review what was said about Mr. Reagan. They treated him as a complete idiot whose views and ideas weren’t even worth hearing because he was just a stupid old man. One incident that I recall was Gov. Reagan being interviewed by Peter Jennings. Jennings was in such a rush to paint Gov. Reagan as an idiot that he actually made himself look like a world class rectum. The media didn’t downplay Mr. Reagan’s experience, they IGNORED it.

oldleprechaun on September 30, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Aren’t we?

lorien1973 on September 30, 2008 at 12:05 PM

I wonder how many recent YouTube searches contained the following keywords: Roosevelt, market, crash.

If your flea circus videos weren’t getting viewers one could name a video title with those key words and boost it up.

shick on September 30, 2008 at 1:55 PM