Video: “This debate is going to be a trainwreck of astonishing magnitude”

posted at 11:50 am on September 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

“People will wish that ‘Planet of the Apes’ was real and was happening now” pretty well sums up my feelings. Reportedly Palin’s burning the midnight oil to cram while Biden’s busy mastering the fine art of not coming off like a complete jackass. The predictable early odds, according to the new Marist poll: Greasy Joe for the win and the ‘Cuda to emerge as more likeable.

Via the Standard, ex-McCain advisor Mike Murphy notes that there are only about 20 “typical” questions that are ever asked at these things so our heroine should manage to rock on reasonably well. I think.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

After Biden wins, they’re going to have the children get up and sing for Obama.

Reminds me of something.

Sultry Beauty on September 30, 2008 at 1:56 PM

How soon, I wonder, until Congress decrees that all citizens of the USSA have an official portrait of the Dear Leader in their homes?

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:00 PM

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Which Dear Leader–Obama or Che?

Steve Z on September 30, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Which Dear Leader–Obama or Che? – Steve Z on September 30, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Is there a difference? Does it matter?

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Go for broke Sarah. First question on the economy be ready to let loose with a Mark Levinesque rant that gives the timeline starting with the CRA and takes us up to the present. Name names and call out the Democrats. Force the damn issue.

Dudley Smith on September 30, 2008 at 2:23 PM

I think I agree with the idea that Palin should go with her own positions.

Count to 10 on September 30, 2008 at 2:24 PM

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:00 PM

You didn’t get the memo? Ssshhh, its OK, I won’t let *them* know, I’ll loan you one of my extras that I keep handy for just such an occasion.

BTW, next week you’ll need to have your, “Save the Polar Bears; stop Global Warming” bumper sticker in a prominent place on your hybrid car.

Geministorm on September 30, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Palin is running as VP – not potus. So, no she shouldn’t nor should she be allowed to express any of her own positions. That’s nuts.

Blake on September 30, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Um….she has a bright future in sportscasting after Nov 4?

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 12:51 PM

I agree with the line of thinking that she has tried so hard to not do anything to hurt McCain that she hasn’t been herself, but in light of the recent polling data, the team has nothing to lose. Unleash the Barracuda, let’s put some lipstick on this pig and let the hockey mom eviserate the senior citizen statesman from Scranton, DE.

Just A Grunt on September 30, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Geministorm on September 30, 2008 at 2:30 PM

You are a peach, Twins. I already took down the picture of Jesus to make room for Obama.

I, for one, welcome my new socialist overlord!

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Genius Joe Biden is watching videotapes of Lincoln’s television debates for pointers.
—-
I also heard that Moses is giving him pointers on swaying the crowd.

I understood he was gonna consult Senator Blutarsky on the finer points of the German attack on Pearl Harbor…

dufflepud on September 30, 2008 at 2:51 PM

She has already done that. Gov Palin is not one who moves backwards, it is always forward and upward. – Just A Grunt on September 30, 2008 at 2:35 PM

I was thinking of ESPN.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Which Dear Leader–Obama or Che? – Steve Z on September 30, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Is there a difference? Does it matter?
ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:16 PM

logis on September 30, 2008 at 3:00 PM

I expect the media will crown Biden the winner, but he’ll actually be the loser. The real winner of a debate is not who looks good or speaks smoothest, but who does the best job of giving people reasons to vote for him or her.

Which is why Gore was credited with winning his debates with Bush, but actually lost them.

tom on September 30, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Actually, it’ll matter a whole lot. Whenever capitalism is the biggest ‘threat’ in the world, Communists, Socialists and Fascists pretend they’re all one big happy family. But once freedom is out of the picture, the ONLY thing that will matter is whose face is on the posters. – logis on September 30, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Obama’s. Next question.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 3:07 PM

McCain has sucked the momentum out of Sarah edge by handling her and putting her on his message. Allot of people’s enthusiasm has faded because the Conservative ideas are not being heard in exchange for reaching across the isle. Allah’s sentiments are justified for the most part. She never fought back from the onslaught of media attacks and in not defending herself she has been almost complete marginalized. The Spirit of Palin is in there but someone but her in cage.

This debate would have to be absolutely spectacular ala Reagen but in the end she is still just VP. She would really have to win people over to vote for her as the heir.

Egfrow on September 30, 2008 at 3:37 PM

The McCain campaign is doing to Sarah what Bush did to himself for eight years. Allowing the far left(entire left) to repeat the Mantra of “Bush is an idiot” for eight years so many times that that is all Joe SixPack knows. The only media not allowing this is talk radio. I guess that’ll be gone in 30 or so days when the Marxist wins and we go socialist all the way. Sad to think that there are enough stupid people voting in this election to kill our country and hand the keys to Socialism…I’m pretty sad at the thought……McCain’Palin ’08 or else……….

adamsmith on September 30, 2008 at 4:02 PM

I disagree with Allah. I believe Sarah Palin can and will be able to not only defend the position she believes, she will be able to point out the flaws in the opositions positions. She ran for mayor based upon her honest beliefs. With more experience, she campaigned and won the governorship of Alaska. Against an incombant Republican. This is no shrinking violet, she finds herself in a hostile media environment, and for some reason has been kept from what she does best, which is to connect with the people. Have no fear. McCain knows what he is doing. He has been winning elections for years.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on September 30, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Egfrow on September 30, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Reagan’s debates weren’t “spectacular.” And he didn’t deal with liberal rants thinly disguised as ‘questions’ any better than anyone else ever has.

Reagan’s speeches were downright awe-inspiring; but a Vice Presidential candidacy is the worst platform there is for making promises you can’t possibly keep.

All Reagan did in circumstances where he was under attack (and in a media environment even more hostile than today’s) was give us a few good quotes we conservatives could use to carry on the attack for him.

Governor Palin doesn’t have to be perfect – and trying to do the impossible can never result in anything but failure anyway. All she has to do is be what we all know deep down inside she really is – a pit bull. But as long as that leash is on, that can’t happen.

logis on September 30, 2008 at 4:41 PM

So much negativity! Is this sarcasm, true independent thought or a bad case of group-think and believing the populist narrative?

Nothing has changed regarding the candidates suitability for the jobs in question. Neither team is exactly awe-inspiringly brilliant but, for the actual jobs up for grabs, Team(R) still looks a whole lot better than Team(D) and Mr Obama is still hopelessly unqualified and unfit for the job he has applied for.

All that has happened is that Team(D) started losing ground so, not unnaturally, their supporters started fighting back.

Struggling is, if you hadn’t noticed, one of the ways that liberals and socialists advance their agenda. The liberals and socialist gain influence and power not because they are smarter or wiser or have better ideas, but just because they are persistent and ruthless in their struggle for what they want.

YiZhangZhe on September 30, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Sarah Palin can debate well enough to become the governor of Alaska. With the media hate avalanche against her and her husband, and what really puts a knife in the heart of any mother, against her children, she still got up and delivered a rousing, spirited and inspiring speech at the convention. And without an ounce of playing the victim, or using the sexism card.
Governor Palin has to deal daily with the news media’s contempt, and a fever pitch of mud slinging, venom dripping, slavering, insane hatred of the left. Maybe they wouldn’t be trying so hard to destroy her, if they didn’t know how much of a threat she is.

Mulligan on September 30, 2008 at 5:05 PM

YiZhangZhe on September 30, 2008 at 5:01 PM

You put things masterfully. Well said!

Mulligan on September 30, 2008 at 5:08 PM

I can’t believe you guys are even talking about the debate. We’re not going to be around long enough to view it! Ace of Spades told me so. The credit crunch is going to end the world as we know it in the next day or so and convert it to some kind of Talking Heads ‘Life During Wartime’ scenario.

Hoard your peanut butter, people! We’re all going to die!

Kevin M on September 30, 2008 at 5:11 PM

EYE LICE!

Rosmerta on September 30, 2008 at 5:22 PM

If we bail out the banks who will be next? Any hard working American knows in his heart that the bullcrap in DC is BS to the first degree and you will be safe because you are making the decisions in your own life not the government. If you depend on the government to take care of you you’ll have a lot to worry about. One only learns by mistakes and it’s time that Wall Street learns a lesson.

mixplix on September 30, 2008 at 6:53 PM

logis on September 30, 2008 at 4:41 PM

I agree. I loved so much about Reagan, starting with the complaints from the press that made me love his ideas, and his speeches which said more than I ever hoped for from a politician, that his debate performances were at the time a let down.

Reagan’s famous line about his age was great, but in the debate format he looked old and slow. I did not enjoy his debates which for me contained a cringe factor, but I knew by his words and history that he was authentic. I knew his ideas were the best thing I had ever heard and our country needed an authentic American leader

Reagan never let me down. What President today would fire striking government workers? Compare Reagan’s speech in Germany, to Obama’s speech in Germany. So much came from a candidate who did not come present so well in debate

Bush Jr. was a debate dud. I dislike a lot of his politics, but I think he was the better man for 911

entagor on October 1, 2008 at 7:44 AM

I hope the PC police did not get to our representatives of the heartland. The missing trophy case of empty? Bud and Jack memorabilia is evidence of two things. They have gone on the wagon, or the PC police got to them and the wagon left a long time ago.

MSGTAS on October 1, 2008 at 10:10 AM