Singing the new Gospel of the New Messiah; Update: NBC chief behind the effort? Update: NBC denies

posted at 2:30 pm on September 30, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

I’m a little sick of the idea of using children to promote political positions and especially candidates, so I’m inclined to look at this kind of effort with a jaundiced eye under any circumstances. However, this video seems even creepier than most. Sing for Change brags about getting 22 children from 5-12 to regurgitate some execrable lyrics as though they had the first clue about the topic of the songs:

It gets even creepier when you read the lengthy description at YouTube. Here’s a representative excerpt, emphasis mine:

What we accomplished in a few hours on a Sunday afternoon embodies the nature of the Obama campaign: its grassroots inspiration, its inclusiveness, its community building. People pitched in quickly for a cause that resonated with them. There were not many conditions: “Think this is a good idea? Want to help? Great. Sunday at 12:00.” At the heart of the project were 22 children and their music. The willingness of all involved to come together for them was a testament to our hope, unity, courage, joy and belief in the future represented by these children.

Their music? No, the music came from the people who wanted to indoctrinate these children, and many others, in the faith of the New Messiah. One example of the genius of the lyrics:

We’re gonna spread happiness
We’re gonna spread freedom
Obama’s gonna change it
Obama’s gonna lead ‘em

We’re gonna change it
And rearrange it
We’re gonna change the world.

Hmm. Reminds me of another youth movement that promised to do the same. One scene from the movie Cabaret immediately came to mind when I saw this video:

Very, very creepy. Leave the children out of it, please.

Update: Another paean to Dear Leader from the children:

Oops! Wrong Dear Leader.
Update II: Sing for Change’s website tells us who created this effort:

As Sunday approached, a neighbor volunteered a home. Production wizards got wind of the project and offered their help in recordingit.  The likes of Jeff Zucker, Holly Schiffer, Peter Rosenfeld, Darin Moran, Jean Martin, Andy Blumenthal, and Nick Phoenix rearranged schedules to participate. Holly Schiffer was able to get three High Definition cameras (Panasonic HVX250’s), and an AVID editing facility. When Jeff Zucker went to pick up the camera package, Ted Schilowitz happened to be there and offered a RED camera set up on a SteadiCam.

“Production wizard” Jeff Zucker appears to also be President & CEO of NBC Universal Jeff Zucker.  At least  David Zucker (apparently no relation) sticks with adults for his political work.  Will Sing for Change get its own variety-hour special next?

Update III: NBC denies this is the same Jeff Zucker:

“It’s a different Jeff Zucker,” wrote an NBC spokesperson to Politico.

Fair enough.  However, this Jeff Zucker has access to an expensive, professional studio quality stereo microphone set and enough cash for an expensive full-color 3′x5′ original Obama poster behind the children, plus a pretty nice camera.

Update IV: Bob Owens notes that this Jeff Zucker appears to be a Hollywood gaffer, with a credit on Boogie Nights.  Great movie, by the way, but Wonderland was more factual.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

the spontaneous hate-shivers across the country measured on the richter scale.

sulla on October 1, 2008 at 4:57 AM

Every day makes me more convinced that America no longer deserves any better than Commie0bammie as their great and glorious messiah. That he isn’t laughed off the national stage at every appearance proves that the general populace is too dumb to be free.

LegendHasIt on September 30, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Well said!

jmarcure on October 1, 2008 at 7:30 AM

I swore to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC, and bear true faith and allegiance to the same (that would be the Constitution, in case you got lost). And that statement about discharging your duties well and faithfully… What part of that is confusing? Do we abdicate that responsibility the minute we hang up the uniform?creekspecter on September 30, 2008 at 8:04 PM

The problem is recognizing that there are domestic enemies. Are there? Are what we call the left that seem to dominate nearly every facet of life except religion really enemies or are they just representative of the evolution of a society? Can any of us truthfully say that a good portion of our present and future government is no longer friendly and are in fact enemies of the USA? I don’t like the leftward tilt of this country because I personally think that the left are bigots, hateful, anti-freedom, anti-human and just wrong in every way, manner and form. Basically everything they say about conservatives applies to them and they are damn proud of it. The left will not have their way for a long time but I do see BO as the start to the end of this Republic. We are sliding into most likely Mussolini style fascism and I really don’t think it can be stopped in any of our lifetimes. How much we suffer depends on how quickly we slide into it and I fear the hardcore aging “revolutionaries” that want it all to happen in what years they have left will make it a bloody slide. I expect there will be some token show trials in an attempt to quell the hard left and if I were Rush, Coulter or Ms. Malkin I would be thinking about fleeing the country within the first two years of the age of BO as they and people like them may very well end up being used as symbols of the hope and change of BO.

jmarcure on October 1, 2008 at 7:56 AM

Talk about creepy.. If Obama was just Jimmy Carter or Walter Mondale, I could deal with him in small doses. But the mass rallies, creepy posters, and brainwashed youth are just really disturbing.

Illinidiva on September 30, 2008 at 8:15 PM

Exactly! The simple fact that BO is not just a run of the mill democrat is what makes this so very scary. The left has looked so very hard for their Castro and now they think they have him. BO is being presented as a messiah and a near god like person. Seas will lower, the earth will heal and children will be saved. These things have not only been said by his followers but by the One himself. Men and woman are fighting with each other to see his “package” and going all weak in the knees or warm in the pants looking at pictures of him frolicking in the water. Tingles up the legs and tears in the eyes when he speaks and people having religious experiences when near him. BO is the chosen One and every day more and more people fall under his influence. Like I’ve said for months, he may not be the anti-Christ but he sure does a good impression of him. This country will not survive and how long we will survive depends on how fast the slide is.

jmarcure on October 1, 2008 at 8:13 AM

Not to worry. The red states will form a Continental Congress, issue a declaration of independence and secede before that happens.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 9:15 PM

And be bombed and gassed into submission or elimination by the military which will support the CIC and country for a long time before they decide, if ever, that the government is in fact not following the constitution. The military saving us is vastly over rated and I think is not even in the cards. I expect to see machine gun soldiers patrolling and keeping the peace on the streets within four years. Yes, some in the military will understand what is taking place but will do nothing for fear of being purged and the paranoia within the military will be near overwhelming.

jmarcure on October 1, 2008 at 8:23 AM

We’re sorry, this video has been thrown down the memory hole!

Little Boomer on October 1, 2008 at 8:37 AM

jmarcure on October 1, 2008 at 8:23 AM

I wouldn’t bet on it. The military will not bomb or gas Americans into submission, especially not THIS military. If anything the current force is hamstrung by privates and lower officers quwstioning everything’s morality and legality more than it is gaining from “lockstep loyalty”. There is a reason Barry is so hot for a “civillian national security force” and it ain’t because he thinks the US Armed Forces will be helping him.

IBD-BootCamp for Radicals series of posts by me

sven10077 on October 1, 2008 at 8:47 AM

We’re sorry, this video has been thrown down the memory hole!

Little Boomer on October 1, 2008 at 8:37 AM

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

SlimyBill on October 1, 2008 at 8:53 AM

Here’s another copy. I downloaded it in case it disappears.

RedWinged Blackbird on October 1, 2008 at 8:53 AM

LegendHasIt on September 30, 2008 at 7:19 PM

’tis got nothing to do with dumb.

The general populace is not dumb, it is uninformed. Good decisions require good information and most people have less information about Senator Obama than they do about Chris Rock.

SlimyBill on October 1, 2008 at 9:00 AM

dang, first Youtube halts all comments and deletes dissenting comments, now they pull the video b/c of its political liability to Obama.

this is Liberal Fascism and a preview of the next 4 years of President Obama and the Obama Justice Department. Dear Leader is never wrong and can never be criticized.

jp on October 1, 2008 at 9:20 AM

SlimyBill (?), I’m in the uninformed does in fact equal ‘dumb’ camp.

They don’t have less information, they’ve chosen to process less information ….

.. and that’s dumb.

cgoode777 on October 1, 2008 at 9:20 AM

Here is a new link for the video

Thebishop on October 1, 2008 at 9:21 AM

There is a Jeff Zucker at IMDB who is a camera guy, probably not the same guy.

benrand on October 1, 2008 at 9:29 AM

This whole story would make a good but frightening novel.

global economic catastrophe

The rise of a “New Messiah” on the political scene who comes from seemingly unknown origins.

America involved in multi-front wars with the specter of nuclear weapons development by a hard line, apocolyptic, death cult regime, alligned with a resurgent Russia and communist madman in Venezula.

I’m not sure if I want read the next chapter

Goodeye_Closed on October 1, 2008 at 9:36 AM

I’m not sure if I want read the next chapter

The future resistance sends a Terminator back in time to change history. Did I mention it looks like Fred Thompson?

saint kansas on October 1, 2008 at 9:39 AM

What video? I don’t see no stinkin’ video! (LOL, down the memory hole!)

desertdweller on October 1, 2008 at 9:45 AM

I despise Google.

Calm Before the Storm on October 1, 2008 at 9:46 AM

Here is the raw file for this video. Since the original person who uploaded this video sent this down the memory hole, we should upload it en masse.

Obama Young Pioneers-Mediafire

mram on October 1, 2008 at 9:55 AM

A more massive conspiracy has never been seen in history.

marklmail on October 1, 2008 at 9:56 AM

Marines for Mccain on October 1, 2008 at 9:37 AM

Just uploaded it to LiveLeak. Will post a link as soon as it’s available.

RedWinged Blackbird on October 1, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Cool.. thanks,

RedWinged Blackbird..

DaveC on October 1, 2008 at 10:12 AM

Why would they say “…the likes of Jeff Zucker…” if it wasn’t THE Jeff Zucker. Either they were trying to uplift their endeavor by insinuating it was THE Jeff Zucker or NBC is lying.

Candy Slice on October 1, 2008 at 10:16 AM

RedWinged Blackbird on October 1, 2008 at 8:53 AM

Thanks for the saved copy.

I have to say that I think this video does present the most accurate representation of the typical BHO supporter – childish, naive, silly, and very, very, very creepy.

progressoverpeace on October 1, 2008 at 10:18 AM

I remember the original narrative saying something about being “inclusive” when they created this video. I don’t recall seeing any children with disabilities… I guess they weren’t included.

Candy Slice on October 1, 2008 at 10:39 AM

I wish Newt Gingrich would stop writing books and run for prez…..

After Obama’s term, he would be an easy sell

Goodeye_Closed on October 1, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Interesting. The original link is working again. Apparently they decided that privatization wasn’t very inclusive.

RedWinged Blackbird on October 1, 2008 at 10:57 AM

RedWinged Blackbird on October 1, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Was Zucker’s name in the narrative before? It’s not there now.

Candy Slice on October 1, 2008 at 11:04 AM

And comments are disabled – truth hurts.

Candy Slice on October 1, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Was Zucker’s name in the narrative before? It’s not there now.
Candy Slice on October 1, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Don’t know. His name is still on the website. Let’s watch it and find out if they’re reading HotAir.

RedWinged Blackbird on October 1, 2008 at 11:25 AM

It’s “Happy Hands” from Napoleon Dynamite?

Branch Rickey on October 1, 2008 at 11:40 AM

“My daddy says nasty things about President Obama.”

Akzed on October 1, 2008 at 11:42 AM

“My mommy always tells me not to listen to the nasty things my daddy says about President Obama.”

Akzed on October 1, 2008 at 11:43 AM

“My mommy told me that I souldn’t have told you what my daddy said about President Obama.”

Akzed on October 1, 2008 at 11:44 AM

“You didn’t tell anyone what my daddy said about President Obama, did you? The police took my daddy away last night.”

Akzed on October 1, 2008 at 11:44 AM

“Mommy said we have to leave Missourri now.”

Akzed on October 1, 2008 at 11:45 AM

A much more likely outcome under a President Obama is the “Singaporization” of American politics. If you say anything bad about the administration a horde of lawyers descends upon you and proceeds to make your life miserable: investigations, libel and slander actions, pressure on your employers, licenses threatened, licenses revoked, pressure on your family, pressure, pressure, pressure etc.

Fred 2 on October 1, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Ya know, Allah has a soft spot in his heart. Perhaps you could email him and ask him to devote an entire thread to the teachings of Jesus?

csdeven on September 30, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Something like that sounds like it would be beneficial to you, csdeven. I’d sure hate for you to wait and have to get an eye-opening crash course on judgment day.

apacalyps on October 1, 2008 at 12:15 PM

unclesmrgol on September 30, 2008 at 10:50 PM

…excellent, first rate!

That’s the problem with sleep…you miss good stuff….

Tomoooooooooorrow be loooooongs to meeeeeeeeeeeee!

Puritan1648 on October 1, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Those kids would look so much nicer with some cute little red scarfs.

MikeHu on October 1, 2008 at 5:42 PM

An unequivocally, spot-on post. You nailed it! Notice the Obama site pulled it immediately. It’s locked in a trunk now somewhere on the bottom of a river.

WE WORSHIP YOU GREAT LEADER!!

warriorlawyer on October 1, 2008 at 9:05 PM

I see they’ve taken it down again. I uploaded it to LiveLeak and MotionBox.

RedWinged Blackbird on October 2, 2008 at 4:23 AM

That all depends. The military draws most of is ranks from red states. If the red states declare their independence, many of them will be put in an uncomfortable position. Don’t be too surprised if a lot of the officers resign their commissions. — ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 5:22 PM

This is what Lee did when tapped to lead the U.S. Army at the onset of the civil war. Of course, states’ rights was a much more important issue back then. Now, I don’t know…

Hogman on October 2, 2008 at 12:00 PM