RNC Ad: “Worse”

posted at 9:42 am on September 30, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

The RNC attempts to link Barack Obama’s spending plans to the bailout proposal that fell to defeat yesterday in their new ad. The new ad, titled “Worse”, will begin running in battleground states:

This could be an effective attack. American voters overwhelmingly opposed the bailout plan, which probably led to its rejection just five weeks before all 435 House members had to endure the scrutiny of the electorate. Noting that Obama wants to spend this kind of money apart from a bailout and in addition to a bailout could make his spending pledges a little more resonant with voters.

It’s a tricky balance, though.  Both Obama and John McCain supported the bill.  The ad avoids taking an explicit position on the bailout, but it doesn’t make it sound pretty.  The ad could also damage McCain in these states unless the voters clearly connect Obama’s additional spending to his position, as the ad attempts.

Comments

Now how about an add linking Obama’s and Democrat involvment in causing this mess. I don’t think it’s going to happen. BUT IT SHOULD!

shick on September 30, 2008 at 9:46 AM

McCain should have listened to The Newt last week and opposed this bailout.

lodge on September 30, 2008 at 9:47 AM

Great ad. It’s frustrating how repubs are losing the greatest chance in history to invalidate left wing policies forever. Why can’t they take the stand and unmask the likes of Barney Frank and Chris Dodd? At least they are doing this much.

promachus on September 30, 2008 at 9:48 AM

Would have been more effective if it had tied in Obama’s failure in the debate to name a single item of spending he would eliminate.

rockmom on September 30, 2008 at 9:48 AM

The RNC needs to be running ads showing how we got to this point in the first place: the CRA, racist shake-down organizations like ACORN (and the lawyers like Obama who aided them), and most importantly of all, the Democratic enablers of the massive fraud at FM/FM.

AZCoyote on September 30, 2008 at 9:50 AM

Of course in 2 weeks Bush will come out and say we need 700 billion more, and then the right wing will be scrambling to figure out how to fit that in the narrative.

mycowardice on September 30, 2008 at 9:51 AM

ACORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look this is a good ad, but put some meat on those bones! ACORN tied to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and voter intimidation plus how about those $932 million dollar earmarks. Amazing how he stopped doing that when he chose to run for office! Not one cut in his blathering at the debates! Instead, he wanted to see to early childhood education! UGH!

freeus on September 30, 2008 at 9:52 AM

For the most part, the Republican party leadership agrees with the goals of the Frank and Dodd. They just want to get there a little slower.

MarkTheGreat on September 30, 2008 at 9:52 AM

I wish someone would run an ad calling out Obama for what he is, a Marxist…The left has pounded home the “fact” that Bush was an idiot for eight years, and the average jughead on the street, it’s all he knows. “Vote against Bush”. The message needs to be changed to “Vote against Marxism”.

adamsmith on September 30, 2008 at 9:52 AM

Remember the dud fireworks that spit sparks around on the ground instead of flying high and exploding in a shower of light? This is that ad. Too little, too late and no bang.

Fletch54 on September 30, 2008 at 9:52 AM

My suggestion is recall Newt to Washington, fire that turkey Paulson, and let Newt hammer out a plan to this whole mess.

pilamaye on September 30, 2008 at 9:54 AM

Speaking of ads, I hope McCain is seeing some internal polling about North Carolina that isn’t public because Obama and the Dems are flooding the airways here with TV ads, and I never see anything from McCain. This includes FNC, which I have on probably 40-50% of the time that I watch TV. There’s a good chance Obama may flip this state into his column if McCain doesn’t wake up.

Dudley Smith on September 30, 2008 at 9:55 AM

MarkTheGreat on September 30, 2008 at 9:52 AM

That’s the only reasonable explanation. I am dumbfounded by all of this. It seems that McCain would have nothing to lose to make his campaign about outing the socialist movement by the left. Just amazing.

genso on September 30, 2008 at 9:56 AM

just seems like an unspecific political comment, weak!

mr. mccain, if you want the job you have been interviewing for, get on offense. get serious and get after it

billypaintbrush on September 30, 2008 at 9:57 AM

McCain’s running ads, they’re just not having an effect.

fossten on September 30, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Not a bad ad. It does show that voting for Obama just because “Bush caused the meltdown” would lead to further problems–you can’t tax your way out of a recession!

But I agree with other posters here–McCain needs to make some ads based on those videos from 2004 and 2005, when Raines and Democrats were pushing Fannie and Freddie to make bad loans, and Republicans in Congress were trying to stop them. Make an ad showing that McCain himself was trying to stop Fannie and Freddie from making bad loans and was filibustered by the Democrats. The message needs to be: BUSH didn’t cause this–Democrats did!!!

Steve Z on September 30, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Both Obama and John McCain supported the bill.

When did Obama support the bill? I must have missed that…

AnthonyK on September 30, 2008 at 10:00 AM

I would imagine there’s more to follow. I think the Democrats are really scared that the truth behind the Franks, Dodd and Obama connection to Freddie, Frannie, AIG, Leman and ACORN is starting to come out. They are really on the offensive to steal the spotlight in the media to get their version out. Examples would be that pathetic patisan Pelosi rant yesterday and Kerry screaming at the top of his lungs at Bill OR last night on the No Spin Zone. I honestly believe McCain tried to take the high road at the beginning and since the Dems didn’t seem shy about laying blame amid the crisis, he’s saying WTF. He wouldn’t come out both barrels until he saw what effect it had. That would be my only complaint. But then, I’m a hothead and I would have gone both barrels myself and kept reloading.

hawkdriver on September 30, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Most of us are angry because the politicians and political shennanigans which caused this mess aren’t being held to account by name. C’mon, John,..you said you would make them famous. Time to get specific and do what you said you would do. Are you more interested in winning the election or maintaining fraternal relationships with your good friends in the Senate and House? Your beloved bipartisanship ain’t worth spit if you lose the election.

a capella on September 30, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Pandering, misleading garbage meant to talk to the stupid unwashed masses.

Keep lowering the bar.

Dave Rywall on September 30, 2008 at 10:03 AM

Obama up another point in Rasmussen. Just thought I’d beat AP to the punch.

capitalist piglet on September 30, 2008 at 10:04 AM

doesn’t hit hard enough.

ctmom on September 30, 2008 at 10:04 AM

By the way guys, some on the Left are now starting to float a plan that involves “nationalizing” America’s banks (i.e. putting them into federal receivership (“conservatorship”)) in order to recapitalize them.

See: http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2008/09/time-not-for-a.html (linked by the Daily Kos)

You want to talk about commie takeovers, boys? Let’s not stop at buying bad debt. Let’s just NATIONALIZE THE BANKS.

Outlander on September 30, 2008 at 10:05 AM

Dudley Smith on September 30, 2008 at 9:55 AM

At Ft. Bragg myself and I was asking the same question. I haven’t seen one since the debate. (Good ones tho)

Senator Dole is swinging against Bev Perdue tho.

hawkdriver on September 30, 2008 at 10:05 AM

MarkTheGreat on September 30, 2008 at 9:52 AM

I realize that’s a popular thing to say, kind of like “not a dime’s bit of difference”, but it’s not true.

capitalist piglet on September 30, 2008 at 10:05 AM

a capella on September 30, 2008 at 10:02 AM

That about sums it up. Maybe he’s worried that no one in Congress will work with him anymore if he loses. Screw that. Draw a line in the sand. There is no second chance.

genso on September 30, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Pandering, misleading garbage meant to talk to the stupid unwashed masses.

Keep lowering the bar.

Dave Rywall on September 30, 2008 at 10:03 AM

But enough about your posts…

capitalist piglet on September 30, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Sorry, this gets immediately countered by McCain being behind the bill. You can’t say “Obama wants to spend TWO TRILLION of your money. John McCain who under the auspices of fiscal responsibility only wants to spend ONE TRILLION.”

Skywise on September 30, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Don’t expect Paulson to go. Bush is just too dense to see when his friends become liabilities.

SKYFOX on September 30, 2008 at 10:09 AM

This race is over. The most improbable candidate (Obama) will win because he will beat a stupid candidate (McCain).

Can someone begin identifying who is worth supporting in the future? Republicans have been running lousy candidates since Reagan, and it’s finally caught up with them.

McCain shot himself in the foot two weeks ago and has looked foolish ever since. Obama could have been a no-show at last Friday’s debate, and he’d still be up. I desperately want to believe that McCain has something else to offer, but he doesn’t. As things stand, all Obama needs to do is find the same cave in which Jeremiah Wright and bin Laden have been hiding, and he wins.

Someone needs to shoot McCain’s campaign to put it out of its misery.

BuckeyeSam on September 30, 2008 at 10:09 AM

Pandering, misleading garbage meant to talk to the stupid unwashed masses.

Keep lowering the bar.

Dave Rywall on September 30, 2008 at 10:03 AM

OMFG, pandering coming from “the” token liberal of teh blogroll is so rich.

Huh, what’s that, college for free, ya got it. Cha Ching!
Huh, what’s that, cradle to grave health care, ya got it. Cha Ching!
Huh, what’s that, sub-prime loans, ya got it. Cha Ching!
Huh, what’s that, abortion on demand, ya got it. Cha Ching!
Huh, what’s that, illegal alien bill o rights, ya got it. Cha Ching!
Huh, what’s that, incredibly ill-advised corn to ethenol programs that drive the ecomony and the freaking food supply into the dirt, ya got it. Cha Ching!

Fa
Q

hawkdriver on September 30, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Dudly, so it isn’t just me? But then again, I live in the People’s Republic of Mecklenburg County.

c.u.shoeless on September 30, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Senator McCain, manPalin up.

davidk on September 30, 2008 at 10:12 AM

Obama did take credit for a compromise, stating in the same breath that Sen. McCain deserves no credit for it, so Obama should also accept the blame for its failure.

madmonkphotog on September 30, 2008 at 10:13 AM

I just have one question…
Where the hell are the 527s?
It’s not time for all of the neutron bombs yet. This is a low-tonnage assault at best; useful, but not overly damaging. But the GOP has to get out there and at least stop some of the bleeding so the neutron bombs (Ayers, ACORN, etc.) can actually have an impact.
I want to be optimistic. I want to hope that the folks running these campaigns have a plan.
As genso said,

There is no second chance.

either orr on September 30, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Can someone begin identifying who is worth supporting in the future?
Republicans have been running lousy candidates since Reagan, and it’s finally caught up with them.Someone needs to shoot McCain’s campaign to put it out of its misery.

BuckeyeSam on September 30, 2008 at 10:09 AM

I don’t see our chances getting better by rolling over now.

hawkdriver on September 30, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Can someone begin identifying who is worth supporting in the future?

Thad McCotter. BELIEVE

Check him out on youtube. He even has a rock band called “the 2nd amendments”

lodge on September 30, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Maybe McCain and Bush know something we don’t know. The sky is falling is an old trick, but what if it actually is this time? When you get greed and corruption working with incompetent Congressional leadership like Peloser and Reid, the American people are screwed. Where is the freaking acountability. Without it, nobody is wrong.

volsense on September 30, 2008 at 10:16 AM

c.u.shoeless on September 30, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Their internals might be saying other things. Libby Dole is who everyone was saying in the beginning was in jeopardy here in NC. That’s the majority of ad money I ee being spent.

hawkdriver on September 30, 2008 at 10:17 AM

I just have one question…
Where the hell are the 527s?

either orr on September 30, 2008 at 10:14 AM

There is simply to much dirt on Obama and the democrats for me to think it won’t be used. I tend to believe they don’t want to use the most devasting stuff too early so it’ll come out 2-3 weeks beofre the election.

That was said with a great amount of faith and hope.

darwin on September 30, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Both Obama and John McCain supported the bill.

I thought BO was dissing the bill yesterday…?

jgapinoy on September 30, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Strong ad. As far as it goes. You can only do so much in 30 secs.

What’s needed is some follow up with specifics in terms the average person can understand, starting with the VP debate.

I’d love to see Madam Governor declare some statement by Biden a broad brushed, lawyerly declaration full of legalese. Then proceed to declare that “Unlike Senators Biden and Obama, John McCain and I aren’t slick lawyers from the Ivy league. John’s a soldgier and I’m a hockey mom, you know, average Joes and Janes. So what we’re proposing to do is . . . .”

The One has been airing ads with no music background, no over-the-top announcer and no specifics. I’d be interested in how those ads are polling. Because everything is so tricked up today, something in the candidate’s plain voice in plain talk stands out.

So why not come up with some spots featuring John McCain and Sarah Palin on what they intend to do specifically in plain terms? It could start with 15 seconds of Sarah on energy. Then John says “I’m John McCain and I approved this message because unlike that team of slick lawyers that oppose us, Governor Palin has the experience to lead us to energy independence and the fortitude to take on the hurdles in Warshington.”

EconomicNeocon on September 30, 2008 at 10:18 AM

McCain should’ve called him out on this in debate, and should in the next.

“now for some Strait Talk, Senator Obama is promising over a Trillion dollars in new spending programs if elected but I can tell you, now given the Financial Crisis and bailout Senator Obama supports, that his continued support of these programs(name a few) is dishonest because it is absolutely not Feasible to do….he is promising the world and playing Santa Claus knowing that he will not be able to deliver”

jp on September 30, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Is the election over? Did I miss someting? There are some 35 days until the election… that is FOREVER. Did everyone forget how hard and fast Obama fell with a simple, say-nothing ad like the Paris Hilton ad? Chill. Keep your powder dry… wait until you can see the whites of their eyes… McCain is. My money says you can almost do nothing until mid-October and then let fly with a dozen DIFFERENT ADs that run daily for a week, then a whole new set of a dozen different ads that run daily for a week. Then vote. Obama is pissing money away by the millions as we speak. McCain is spending very little now. What is the point of trying to get 10 points up by October 4th when what you want is to be 10 points up at the end of November 4th?

CC

CapedConservative on September 30, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Are the NRA ads running anywhere? When Obama makes these threats, does that mean the ads don’t run? I know at least one of McCain’s ads wouldn’t run on YouTube because Fox News had a copyright claim out on it. The McCain camp rightly said that fair use laws cover what they did, but as long as there is a claim, YouTube won’t let it run.

I need to know whether these threats are doing any damage. If they are, we need to somehow buck up to face the challenge.

justincase on September 30, 2008 at 10:21 AM

The ad is too ambiguous. Most voters won’t get it. It would have worked if it had more specifics, such as ties to the Fannie/Freddie implosion.

Star20 on September 30, 2008 at 10:22 AM

I am heavily invested in the market. That said, I am against this bailout knowing that I will take a big hit during the resulting carnage. But, it seems to me a small price to pay to stop the socialization of this country. All of you who are willing to give up even more freedoms so that you can continue to live above your means need to really reconsider that. Once you give up a freedom you will never get it back.

genso on September 30, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Dudley Smith on September 30, 2008 at 9:55 AM

seeing the same thing

and this gas crisis, the Dems are trying to blame on Repubs.. Notice Gov. Easley ‘blaming the oil companies’ for shortages, claiming they are witholding. They are trying to defate McCrory, Dole and McCain with that message.

also, seen several Dem 527 ads here in NC

jp on September 30, 2008 at 10:24 AM

EconomicNeocon on September 30, 2008 at 10:18 AM

I would, too. Even if it meant listening to Sheetrock whine about us unwashed dimwits clinging bitterly to our guns and roses.

davidk on September 30, 2008 at 10:26 AM

Fletch54 on September 30, 2008 at 9:52 AM

Indeed. Not to mention that both Obama and McCain supported the bill.

thePajamaPundit on September 30, 2008 at 10:27 AM

I don’t see our chances getting better by rolling over now.

hawkdriver on September 30, 2008 at 10:14 AM

From what I saw in Friday’s debate, McCain already has.

BuckeyeSam on September 30, 2008 at 10:27 AM

also, seen several Dem 527 ads here in NC

jp on September 30, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Me too. The Anti-McCrory/Bush Carbon-Copy one is particularly nasty.

hawkdriver on September 30, 2008 at 10:28 AM

From what I saw in Friday’s debate, McCain already has.

BuckeyeSam on September 30, 2008 at 10:27 AM

How? Unless you buy into the media spin on it, he won handily. The last teo-thirds, he was in charge and spirited.

hawkdriver on September 30, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Because of the ego of Obama (both personally and his campaign), they felt it necessary to respond to every ad McCain ran once they started… beginning with Paris Hilton.

By waiting, they can both fire for effect and send in smart bombs in the last few weeks. The Obama campaign will be so busy trying to respond to all the different ads (they MUST not anything painting “the One” in a bad light go without response), they will be totally defensive coming right up to the election. Game over.

CC

CapedConservative on September 30, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Not bad,but since Nancy”The Most Ethical House Ever”
Pelosi strutted up to the podium to blame “the 8
failed years of the Bush Policies”,

how about dropping the hammer,really soon on
the Libs,and start pointing fingers who created
this mess!!

Nancy wasted no time pointing fingers yesterday!!

And remember,the longer this Liberal scam goes on
lying to the American voter,the perception will
start to stick!!

I wish,no scratch that,I would love to see a press
conference,and have a Republican,with all his ducks
in a row,and point to how those Liberal little
financial chickens are coming home to roost and
how they got to where they are now!!!

canopfor on September 30, 2008 at 10:33 AM

I don’t see our chances getting better by rolling over now.
hawkdriver on September 30, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Well, no, you’re right. But having a liberal president and a liberal Congress with an almost veto-proof Senate majority is unbelievably bad for the country. That will get us to socialist healthcare, socialist supreme court justices, and could lurch the country considerably to the left in four years. The damage could be permanent.

At some point, the RNC needs to cut its losses with McCain and focus more of its efforts (e.g. fundraising, direct expenditures, and earned and paid media) on down-ticket races in order to protect a veto power in the Senate and to limit the size of Republican congressional losses.

I just have one question…
Where the hell are the 527s?
either orr on September 30, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Thanks to McCain-Feingold, 527s are not permitted to run the kind of ads you’re contemplating.

By the way, 527 spending is significantly down this year as a result: http://www.opensecrets.org/527s/index.php

Outlander on September 30, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Stocks are up 150 points today, so much for the Dow falling to 2000 and all of us in the streets selling pencils.

My poor bunker, only recently finished and now might become a tool shed.

Bishop on September 30, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Someone needs to shoot McCain’s campaign to put it out of its misery.

BuckeyeSam on September 30, 2008 at 10:09 AM

No, it isn’t over, but the next 2 or three weeks are very crucial. If some form of economic pressure release isn’t completed, Palin does badly in her debate, and McCain refuses to go bare knuckle, the last week or so won’t really matter, regardless of what type of neutron bombs Mccain’s team have available. The MSM are influencing the race tremendously.

a capella on September 30, 2008 at 10:42 AM

I’m listening to an Obama ad right now complaining that Iraq has a 79 billion surplus and building a ferris wheel and why oh why aren’t they giving us some money.

You’d think they McCain might run a counter ad with Obama’s speech saying something about how Iraq is a failure and we need to pull out…

Skywise on September 30, 2008 at 10:44 AM

The damage could be permanent. Outlander

Nothing is permanent. Nothing, not even the USA. At some point in the near or distant future, there will be secession. The seceding states will reject socialism and start fresh – merely by adopting the principles of the original constitution. Importantly, they will have the backing of the military. And they will eventually take over the remaining corpse of the failed states that were the USA.

Then we’ll be back at square one.

kuhio on September 30, 2008 at 10:45 AM

In the irony of all ironies … if the Fairness Doctrine was in place the media wouldn’t have the complete control over everything as it does now. Any point made by the media would have an immediate counterpoint made.

darwin on September 30, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Bishop on September 30, 2008 at 10:37 AM

You haven’t begun to see the long term effects of no available credit. These are just preliminary ripples before the tidal wave, if it occurs.

a capella on September 30, 2008 at 10:47 AM

For anyone that was watching the market yesterday and saw where it was BEFORE the bailout failed (down about 275+-) it is now up 262 at this point. Let me see… 777-275 leaves us with a 502 “no bailout” impact. We’ve recoverd half that in the first hour or so of the day. Crisis indeed.

CC

CapedConservative on September 30, 2008 at 10:47 AM

There is another Option on the table according to Dave Ramsey and Brian Wesbury here

defendfaithandfamily on September 30, 2008 at 10:47 AM

There is the link – sorry

defendfaithandfamily on September 30, 2008 at 10:48 AM

kuhio on September 30, 2008 at 10:45 AM

That just ain’t gonna happen. Period!

a capella on September 30, 2008 at 10:49 AM

I keep telling myself this about McCain..sigh.

Drilling.

Ayers/ACORN.

Freddie/Fannie/Dems CREATED this entitlement mess.

Annenberg.

Did I mention Ayers?

ex-Democrat on September 30, 2008 at 10:51 AM

darwin on September 30, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Heh. I hadn’t thought of that. Looks like the donks will have to rework that a bit before it becomes law. I’m sure they can.

a capella on September 30, 2008 at 10:52 AM

a capella on September 30, 2008 at 10:47 AM

The operative word being “if”.

For a week now it’s been screaming, ass on fire, running in circles, hysteria; we were all going to die, be reduced to rooting for grubs in the forest and fighting over roadkill; the world was going to become the equivalent of Road Warrior, Soylent Green or the Dark Ages.

Whatever.

Bishop on September 30, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Michelle Obama – AWOL
Minister Farrakahn – AWOL
AYers and Dohrn – AWOL
Rev. Wright – AWOL
Obama early years – AWOL

The Obama crew has done an excellent job of keeping the skeletons hidden.

mylegsareswollen on September 30, 2008 at 10:52 AM

darwin on September 30, 2008 at 10:46 AM

The Fairness Doctrine only applies to controversial issues.

Agreeing with the Democrats is by definition not controversial. The Fairness Doctrine only kicks in when one supports a conservative position.

MarkTheGreat on September 30, 2008 at 10:53 AM

It’s frustrating how repubs are losing the greatest chance in history to invalidate left wing policies forever. promachus on September 30, 2008 at 9:48 AM

That’s a happy thought but much like cockroaches, even nukular war can’t get that done forever. You could salt that ground and keep it from growing for a while, but eventually it’d grow back. But we’re so far from there. At this point, the debate is framed on whether the giveaway should be $700 Billion or 1.7 Trillion? That’s a long way from where we need to get. If we ever get there, vigilence will be required to make sure the course stays steady and true.

This race is over. BuckeyeSam on September 30, 2008 at 10:09 AM

Don’t forget the lessons from Animal House. This isn’t over until we say it’s over. John McCain had no chance at the nomination a year ago. Yet he prevailed. There’s a lot that can happen in the month plus that remains. Though we all have our issues with some of his policies and positions, the one quality that we admire in McCain is that he’s a fighter. Rest assured that he’ll see this fight to the finish.

EconomicNeocon on September 30, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Bishop on September 30, 2008 at 10:52 AM

I hear ya. I’ve listened to so many contradictory theories from experts in the last 2 weeks I’m not sure any of them know what is going on. I still can’t understand why this abcess just happened to come to a head 5 weeks before national elections.

a capella on September 30, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Bush and McCain were saying the same thing about shamnesty!

We do not need politicians to tell us what to do. We know what to do.

Raines and Johnson in jail.
Barney Fwank, Chrissy Dodd on the street.

Let’s roll.

Palin/Palin ’08

ex-Democrat on September 30, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Dole has been putting up some ads, that’s true, but my admittedly unscientific observation is that Hagan is showing more. I think she’s getting a ton of backing from the NDSC. But I really can’t remember the last McCain ad I saw, and I probably saw 10 from Obama just last night over about 2 hours of TV. And like I said, I watch FNC a LOT, and Obama still shows up more.

Dudley Smith on September 30, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Dudley Smith on September 30, 2008 at 11:02 AM

You have to remember, he doen’t need to advertise to the faithful. I’m sure he’s betting on picking up Indies on FNC.

hawkdriver on September 30, 2008 at 11:05 AM

The Obama crew has done an excellent job of keeping the skeletons hidden.

mylegsareswollen on September 30, 2008 at 10:52 AM

My father-in-law is an Iowa Democrat that absolutely hates Bush. I was talking with him last night and he figures he will vote for McCain because he just doesn’t know anything about Obama… not that he knows about Ayers, Wright or whatever… he just doesn’t know Obama. In his own words, he said the Iowa caucases are attended by the “big liberals”. He voted for Gore. He voted for Kerry. Anecdotal I know, but I think this represents an awful lot of people that we aren’t hearing from.

CC

CapedConservative on September 30, 2008 at 11:06 AM

hawkdriver on September 30, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Bipartisianship be damned, beginning two weeks ago, McCain should have been educating the public about what exactly got us in this credit mess. Instead, in the first 40 minutes of the debate, all he yammered about was earmarks and tax policy arguments that middle America isn’t buying. When, for example, is McCain going to start calling Obama’s tax plan what it really is? Refundable tax credits are welfare. McCain also makes a very unconvincing argument of corporate tax rate reductions.

a capella on September 30, 2008 at 10:42 AM

No, the past two weeks have been crucial; yet McCain has been anemic and Palin, for whatever reason, has been completely ineffective. Palin’s useless at this point. And watching Obama and McCain right now is like watching a fighter (Obama) casually stand in the corner, every now and then walk to the center of the ring, and slug the other fighter (McCain) who’s simply standing there with his shoelaces tied together, his hands tied behind his back, and blindfolded.

Twice this morning on TV, McCain was pathetic.

BuckeyeSam on September 30, 2008 at 11:26 AM

They’re right in the vid about campaigns being run on ambiguity now. I’d like to think I know what McCain’s all about, but it’s real hard to know when he’s almost as vague as Oblammo.
I’m getting real tired of it. Will somebody with the balls to tell it like it is please stand up?!

Badger40 on September 30, 2008 at 11:29 AM

reshas1 on September 30, 2008 at 11:35 AM

BuckeyeSam on September 30, 2008 at 11:26 AM

I wish he would have hit it harder too. I’m just saying we shouldn’t buy into the media. If he had been any more on the attack, they would have called it partisan and gimmick answers just for the debate and not for the good of the Amwerican people. I’m not saying he’s run a perfect campaign, I’m just saying they have a counter for everything we think and want eh campaign to do. It’s us against almost the entire media. I’m not going to join in the dogpilie. We just need to hope they have folks that are looking at what gets said on weblogs like this.

hawkdriver on September 30, 2008 at 11:46 AM

It’s over, guys. McCain is not a real conservative and has neither the energy nor the inclination to enter into a fight over principles. He has also been very hesitant to attack Democrats, and has carried this trepidation into the Presidential campaign.

Outlander on September 30, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Outlander on September 30, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Your call. So go take a break and get the hell out of the way for the rest of us. Stay home, don’t vote but keep your doom and gloom to yourself. Otherwise I’d just lump you in with the rest of the trolls sock-puppeting disillusioned voters who “just don’t think McCain can do it.”

hawkdriver on September 30, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Dudley Smith on September 30, 2008 at 9:55 AM

I’m seeing the same thing in PA. McCain Campaign has gone dark here in the last few days, while Obama is pouring it on.

james23 on September 30, 2008 at 1:20 PM

You’d have to have a functioning brain to understand the commercial. Obama will gain two points from it.

Jaibones on September 30, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Highly inaccurate ad.

philnewkirk on September 30, 2008 at 1:57 PM

CC

CapedConservative on September 30, 2008 at 11:06 AM

I agree. I think there are a lot of moderates who are staying quiet right now, but who will vote for McCain. And, by “taking the gloves off” with their so-called “truth squads” and strong-arm tactics, the O! camp has probably permanently lost a sizable chunk of PUMA voters.

Time will tell, but don’t give up. Everyone needs to get out and vote, as well as see if they can encourage friends and family who may be feeling disaffected by the dem party to vote for McCain. A president Obama with both houses of Congress would be a disaster for our country.

Y-not on September 30, 2008 at 1:58 PM

I’d like to see something like this ad:
~Rev. Wright spewing his best “Why I hate whitey..” stuff-
~voiceover: Obama’s words “…like a TYPICAL WHITE PERSON…”
~Obama’s praising Wright as his spiritual advisor, friend
~voiceover: Obama’s words, “…like a TYPICAL WHITE PERSON…”
~Obama’s denial of knowing about any of Wright’s racist sermons despite 20 years attending his church & 1,040+ of his sermons
~voiceover: Obama’s words, “…like a TYPICAL WHITE PERSON…”

If you find Obama’s words hard to swallow now, do you really want him running our country?

NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Oslime-a isn’t going to run this country if elected. He’s an empty suit meat puppet. The DNC will have their hand up his back working his mouth for 4 years.

csdeven on September 30, 2008 at 3:06 PM

@ csdeven

That’s exactly what I think, too,

Bhagwani on September 30, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Oslime-a isn’t going to run this country if elected. He’s an empty suit meat puppet. The DNC George Soros will have their hand up his back working his mouth for 4 years.

csdeven on September 30, 2008 at 3:06 PM

FIXED IT FOR YA.

NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 5:23 PM

October better be all bare knuckles or O’Bambi and O’Biden walk away with this one.

Mojave Mark on September 30, 2008 at 8:00 PM