Palin talks gays, feminism, abortion, and evolution with Couric; Update: Video added

posted at 8:33 pm on September 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

I waited an hour for CBS to post the video. No luck. I’m uploading my own cut so stand by for that; when their version goes up, I’ll swap it in. In the meantime, here’s the transcript. Remember, the rap on Palin is that she’s supposedly a “Christianist” nut ready to impose theocracy at the first opportunity. Here we learn that she supports contraception; doesn’t want to punish abortion with jail time; supports teaching evolution as “an accepted principle” and may very well oppose teaching creationism (it’s ambiguous); and reaffirms that she doesn’t judge gays, partly because she’s had a close friend who’s gay for decades.

And yet. Read through it and tell me what the media will lead with tomorrow. Here’s a hint: It has nothing to do with her policy answers.

Update: Here’s the vid.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7

Well I must be off to bed or I will be really mad at me tomorrow. Love you all or at least most of you. Goodnight.

Cindy Munford on October 1, 2008 at 12:44 AM

Sorry, no sale that isn’t what she said and this has been discussed over many pages. Just start out knowing that you lost this argument and move on to your next best shot.

Cindy Munford on October 1, 2008 at 12:39 AM

Are you joking? How have I lost this argument? Same with Religious_Zealot. Great argument there.

Look. I was Palinstruck the first couple of days after she was nominated. I even gave her a pass on the Gibson interview. But this is too much. You can’t base yourself on a transcript, you need to take a look at the woman. Can’t you tell she doesn’t have a clue about what is being talked? Have you no social skills at all?

She’s just not ready. She’s a good fit for a governor, but she can’t be unable to mention a single foreign affairs publication, even when given the chance to think about it and answer again. Same with abortion, her supposed forte. She hasn’t said anything I haven’t heard before. She’s asked if she will make X case illegal and she dodges the question – doesn’t say if she will work to make it illegal or not.

The worst part about this is that you consider criticism of Palin HAS to come from someone from the Obama camp. Even worse, you have delusional fantasies about the Obama campaign fielding operatives to comment sections at blogs to somehow sabotage things. It’s one of the most pathetic things I’ve ever seen, and quite symbolic of the trouncing we’ll be getting in November. No wonder.

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:45 AM

To those people I was just politically affilated with just a month ago that I now hate, hate, hate and who quoted me and even dismissed me as an Obama supporter: you’re a bunch of morons. I am actually a rabid (oh, my God, I just love him so much but now I have to destroy him to save him)McCain supporter, but unlike you I got eyes, ears and a brain and red-cherry-stained lips.

Yes, it bothers me that Palin bitch who I should admire but I don’t becasue I really am a troll obviously has never read a magazine. Yes it bothers me that all she says is platitudes and generalities which are perfectly in line with the preponderance of the conservative platform. You guys should stop drinking the Kool Aid and realize not everything your (er, our, sorry) side does is picture-perfect. Palin is a wreck. Just look at the videos. LOOK at THEM LOOK at THEM and tehn look at all the bats. (Swatting) Where did all these freaking bats come from?

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 12:45 AM

VP Debate Moderator Obama Shill: The Fix Is In

Ask the Commission on Presidential Debates if she will acknowledge her conflict of interest: 202-872-1020.

And here’s the e-mail address of Janet H. Brown, Executive Director of the Debates Commission: jb@debates.org

Cindy Munford on October 1, 2008 at 12:30 AM

Just had to post it again.

Ummm…Ed? Allah? Perhaps a post is in order?

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 12:46 AM

According the FR this mailbox: jb@debates.org is currently full.

Just trying to save you some key strokes, lets all get on this tomorrow.

Dorvillian on October 1, 2008 at 12:48 AM

The trolls are rather low quality tonight, aren’t they?

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 12:44 AM

Yup. Even alphie was better than these dregs.

techno_barbarian on October 1, 2008 at 12:48 AM

Yep. Another life long republican that voted for Bush in the last two elections but is suddenly abandoning the party for (insert issue of the day here)…

Heard it all before.

Dorvillian on October 1, 2008 at 12:41 AM

“I’m a life Long Democrat, and voted for Clinton both times and John Kerry last time, the Super Delegates Chose the Wrong person! This TIME in this election I’m Voting For John McCain, He is the best person be leading the country and that represents the American values, he’s a real leader, and a bi-partisan person.”

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 12:48 AM

You lost the argument by:
1) Stating that she has NEVER read a magazine
2) Misunderstanding the difference between can’t and won’t
3) You claim to be a McCain supporter and then use the phrase “your side”
4) You claimed her answer on abortion was vague when it was anything but

Reading (or is it listening?) comprehension obviously is not your strong suit. Here is what she said: “And, um, if you’re asking, though, kind of foundationally here, should anyone end up in jail for having an … abortion, absolutely not. That’s nothing I would ever support.”
Now, let me translate for you “don’t going to jail” = “keeping it legal”

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 12:50 AM

You guys just don’t get it, do you? Let me get this straight: I can be a pro-Second Amendment, anti-abortion, anti-Jihad, supporter of the GOP – but if I don’t think EVERYTHING Palin does is a success, suddenly I’m a liberal or in the tank for Obama? As I said before: no wonder we’ll lose by a landslide in November. Ever heard of self-criticism?

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:51 AM

To those who I was just a month ago politically affiliated but now hate, hate, hate, because you picked Sarah Palin quoted me and even dismissed me as an Obama supporter: you’re a bunch of morons. I am actually a rabid McCain supporter (who I have loved and supported for 17 years but must now destroy him to save him, but unlike you I got eyes, ears and a brain and cherry red stained lips.
Yes, it bothers me that Palin who I should admire because she is the perfect example of conservative feminism but I hate, hate, hate, because she obviously has never read a magazine. Yes it bothers me that all she says is platitudes and generalities which are succinct in completely in line with the conservative platform . You guys should stop drinking the Kool Aid and realize not everything your side(er um, our side, sorry tee-hee) does is picture-perfect. Palin is a wreck. Just look at the videos. LOOK AT THE VIDEOS, THE VIDEOS! THEN LOOK AT THE BATS, (swatting) Where DID ALL THE BATS COME FROM?
Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:35 AM

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 12:53 AM

Ever heard of self-criticism?

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:51 AM

Find a mirror.

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 12:54 AM

. Ever heard of self-criticism?

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:51 AM

Ever hear of INVALID criticism?

You think Gov. Palin should have answered better, fine. Most people would probably agree on that point.

You think picking Gov. Palin was a mistake, fine, although most people here would disagree with you.

Stating that Gov. Palin has never read a magazine or that she was vauge in answering about abortion isn’t “self-criticism”, is just plain wrong about the facts.

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 12:54 AM

Religious_Zealot

You’re wrong. First and foremost, I can clearly infer from that interview that Palin has never picked up a copy of The Economist or Foreign Affairs – although surely the McCain campaign started working on that last week. It’s bleedingly obvious. Why would she not mention a single title, when give n such a softball by Couric?

My use of the phrase “your side” does not mean I am in it. It’s a common manner of phrasing arguments in a discussion. What are you, some kind of Inquisition? Please.

Her reply on abortion was clearly vague. She said she is against people going to jail for having abortions, which is definitely NOT the same as keeping it legal. Many illegal acts are not punished with time in prison, in case you didn’t know that.

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:55 AM

hawkdriver

Sorry man, that didn’t work. Too bad.

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:56 AM

…I can clearly infer…

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:55 AM

*rolls eyes*

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 12:57 AM

Sorry, meant to say “I am not in it”. My point is that when saying “your side” I was momentarily getting out of the political frail to point out that everyone’s gotta look at their own side as well as the other.

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:57 AM

Possible list of alternative moderators:

William Ayres

Laura in Maryland on October 1, 2008 at 12:58 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:55 AM

So, you think to remedy the pick McCain whom you rabidly support, you need to convince us all to feel the same way and not vote for them now? Is that it? Okay, you’ve made your point. We don’t buy it. So go read Sarah Palin’s favorite news paper, the Daily Eat Shit and Die.

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 1:00 AM

Possible list of alternative moderators:

William Ayres

Fr. Phlager

Barry Obama

Michelle Obama

The Cast of the view

That guy with the Coke in the Limo

Any more?

Laura in Maryland on October 1, 2008 at 1:00 AM

“McCain made”

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 1:00 AM

You’re wrong.

Actually, I’m not. But this wouldn’t be the first time you made a mistake tonight.

Actually, you CAN’T clearly infer anything from her statement.

She said she reads “a vast variety of sources” which may very well include The Economist or Foreign Affairs.

Again, you trolls don’t seem to understand the difference between “can’t name” and “won’t name.”

1) Your first sentence in the above quoted block actually proves my point. You claimed to be a McCain lover, but you really aren’t.
2) You seem to pursuing your own ‘Inquisition’ of Gov. Palin’s words. What’s the matter? You can’t take as well as you give?

1) It WAS clear. Jumping up and down, holding your breath and repeating the same lie over and over again doesn’t make it true.
2) So you’re saying that legal activity can land you in jail??

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 1:02 AM

hawkdriver

When did I say not vote for them? McCain is a personal hero of mine and I prefer him over Bush any day. Of course I support him and the ticket. As I said, Palin is a good politician. Can’t I dissent and say she’s not ready this time? That it’s too son? That it was a gamble and it is clearly not working? I’m wondering how many people here will cling (oooh, I used the same verb Obama used, look out!) to what I’m reading here and go on till November thinking Palin rocked the house. Sorry, she didn’t. She has the potential, but it didn’t work out. Sometimes that happens, you know. You’ll see it more clearly when Biden rips her apart on Thursday.

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:03 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:57 AM

FWIW, that’s how I read it (how you meant it, that is). I think you might be underestimating Palin, though. She’s not much to listen to, but she has enough smarts to keep Alaska chugging along, that’s got to count for something. It can’t be easy solving the day-to-day problems of living in the arctic.

RightOFLeft on October 1, 2008 at 1:03 AM

hawkdriver

Sorry man, that didn’t work. Too bad.

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:56 AM

Neither do you! You’re just a liberal hack and not a very good one.

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 1:03 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:57 AM

We don’t need to see your papers. These aren’t the blogs you’re looking for. Move along.

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 1:06 AM

Sarah Palin’s favorite news paper

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 1:00 AM

But seriously folks…

I was thinking something like, Guns & Ammo, Woman’s Day, and World Oil.

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 1:06 AM

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 1:02 AM

Careful with this one.

The first rule of dem communication is: “getting out there”, whether it is true or not.

The second rule is: the more you repeat a lie, the better it sounds.

The third rule is: the louder you shout it, the truer it becomes.

Good luck, and God Bless.

Laura in Maryland on October 1, 2008 at 1:07 AM

Religious_Zealot

Haha OK then, why “won’t” she name a single publication? This is getting absurd. Can’t you accept the truth? Can’t you…ehem…handle it?

I added the missing word “not” in a later post.

Mine is not an “Inquisition” of Palin’s words, it’s just straight analysis. Yours is, because you guys came up with insane fantasies about me being an Obama operative, a troll, etc. I’ve actually been a HotAir reader since day one, so you really don’t know what you’re talking about. I don’t owe you or anyone else an opinion on who I’m supporting. I added the fact that I do support the ticket to draw parallels with you guys and get you to understand that it’s unraveling before our very eyes. Obviously it didn’t work.

So you’re saying that legal activity can land you in jail??

Again, there are acts which are against the law but are not punished with prison. Palin was asked whether she would make it ILLEGAL to kill babies (when it is currently legal), and she replied by saying she would not send people to prison. But would she work on legislation to make abortions illegal, independently of the punishment? She never answered that.

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:08 AM

Again, you’re certainly entitled to your opinion.

But as someone once said, you’re not entitled your own facts.

Your two main complaints about Gov. Palin’s performance with Katie Couric are demonstrably incorrect (she doesn’t read magazines, vague answer on abortion).

And if one can’t get their facts right, should we then trust their opinions formed upon those facts?

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 1:09 AM

After working all evening and checking in it seems this thread is the September issue of a Fred thread.

I’ll wait for Thursday to make up my mind about the Governor, which is what the Palinphobics are afraid of, people actually listening to her answers and making up their own minds.

Limerick on October 1, 2008 at 1:11 AM

RightOFLeft

Finally, a reasonable comment. I actually agree with you on something, in that she’s a great Governor. I’m just saying there is more and more evidence coming out that she’s not ready for national primetime, and I’m getting flamed by these guys for doing so. Too bad.

Careful with this one.

The second rule is: the more you repeat a lie, the better it sounds.

The third rule is: the louder you shout it, the truer it becomes.

Good luck, and God Bless.

OK, I’m tired of you guys. Keep living your fantasy. Yeah, I’m a Barack Obama operative! I engage in pointless conversations with anonymous commenters just to satisfy my overlord, the Messiah! Yeah, I’m spreading the Democratic agenda!

….

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:12 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:08 AM

Bap, I woke my girlfriend up to come and read your comments. We are both laughing our asses off at the most inept troll either one of us has seen. She told me to say, (and RZealot should get this), “Dance, Monkey, Dance”

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 1:12 AM

hawkdriver

You woke your girlfriend up to show her comments on a blog?

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:14 AM

You can always tell a lib.

They are impressed if you have The Economist on your latte table. I’ve read as many great articles in that rag as I have sophomoric rubbish.

I can’t wait for the next issue of 4-Wheelin, though!

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 1:15 AM

hawkdriver

You woke your girlfriend up to show her comments on a blog?

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:14 AM

I thought it was his laughter that woke his girlfriend (and neighbors).

Laura in Maryland on October 1, 2008 at 1:16 AM

I don’t know for sure why she refused to answer her question. As has been posited here the question certainly appeared to be a set-up.

At best, it was a stupid question and unworthy of being answered (see prior discussion about the link between worldview and printed media).

I added the missing word “not” in a later post

So noted.

Claiming you can “clearly infer” something she didn’t say (and didn’t infer) and then turn around and say something that was clear really was vague…

…well that certainly fits the bill of an ‘inquisition’. YMMVOC

I don’t particularly care if you were here when the first internets (sic) were put down.

You’re acting like a classic troll.

If that bothers you, maybe you should STOP acting like a troll.

Just a suggestion, of course.

And you never answered MY question, so I’ll repeat it.

Can legal activity land you in jail?

Once you can answer that, then you’ll understand how Gov. Palin’s response is clear that she won’t make abortion illegal (as if she had the power to do so, anyway).

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 1:16 AM

Saltysam

You are delusional and ignorant, Saltysam. What a pathetic person you are.

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:16 AM

The question you all need to ask is…

What would Captain Walker do?

Limerick on October 1, 2008 at 1:17 AM

You can always tell a lib.

I can’t wait for the next issue of 4-Wheelin, though!

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 1:15 AM

Personally, I prefer the NRA merchandise catalog.

Laura in Maryland on October 1, 2008 at 1:18 AM

Oooohhhh.

Name calling.

Veeerrrry sophisticated.

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 1:18 AM

Limerick on October 1, 2008 at 1:19 AM

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 1:02 AM

Careful with this one.

The second rule is: the more you repeat a lie, the better it sounds.

The third rule is: the louder you shout it, the truer it becomes.

Good luck, and God Bless.

Laura in Maryland on October 1, 2008 at 1:07 AM

Maureen Dowd
Carol Fowler

CCRWM on October 1, 2008 at 1:19 AM

You are delusional and ignorant, Saltysam. What a pathetic person you are.

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:16 AM

You’re ugly and your mama dresses you funny. Go play on someone else’s playground (or aren’t you big enough for the junior high KOS crowd?)

Laura in Maryland on October 1, 2008 at 1:19 AM

hawkdriver

You woke your girlfriend up to show her comments on a blog?

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:14 AM

Yup, She loves Palin. She wouldn’t have missed a tool like you for anything.

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 1:20 AM

Religious_Zealot

A set-up? A clear dodgeball with the possibility of thinking it over and having a second chance at answering it? On the eve of her debate with Biden, when she should be…um…reading? Please. Maybe you don’t know, but I do. She’s clueless. I know for a fact that she is smart, capable and ruthlessly efficient. But she has never read a foreign policy paper or article, and that is a serious impediment to be President or Vice President. Only few titans like Truman can pull that level of unpreparedness off.

You’re acting like a classic troll.

If that bothers you, maybe you should STOP acting like a troll.

I’m not “acting” like anything. I won’t bother going into the details, but the word “troll” doesn’t really apply to political blogs. Injecting a dissenting comment after a monolithic chain is not trolling, it’s called free speech. Trolling comes from hacking, gaming and other geek-related bulletin boards and then forums. Just so you know.

Can legal activity land you in jail?

If it’s legal of course you can’t go to jail for it. But that wasn’t the question! Couric did NOT ask if Palin would send people to prison (meaning, what punishment she would choose). She asked whether she would make it illegal, which is the preceding step. Palin answered a safe, non-existent question. She did not state, unequivocally, whether she thinks those cases of abortions should remain legal or be made illegal. Clear?

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:23 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:12 AM

Could be. She’s going through a baptism by fire into national politics, with immersion coming on Thursday. The only way she can get ready for national primetime is to dive in. A vice presidential candidacy is probably the only springboard she has, so I don’t know if leaving her in Alaska for another 4 years would’ve left her any more prepared. Some of her interview answers are excruciating, but there have been some bright spots, too.

The internet is absolutely the worst place to discuss politics with total strangers. It brings out the worst in everybody from time to time. It’s pretty much the only place, though.

RightOFLeft on October 1, 2008 at 1:23 AM

Bapster. Answer one question for me?

What is your point?

If you are truly a McCain supporter then you should still want to have everyone vote for him. Since you want everyone to vote for him, you shouldn’t want to do the libs job even better for them by beating up Palin on what sounds very much to us like liberal talking points. Since you shouldn’t want you do the libs job for them but actually are you must be made of wood. Since you are made of wood you…

MUST BE A WITCH!!!

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 1:24 AM

hawkdriver

That’s cool. I like Palin too. Liking and thinking she’s qualified for the post are two different issues, as you may have noticed in my arguments.

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:25 AM

Since you are made of wood you…

MUST BE A WITCH!!! Al Gore

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 1:24 AM

Laura in Maryland on October 1, 2008 at 1:26 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:23 AM

I won’t call you a troll but I will say I don’t agree with you. I think Palin is tired of the “gotcha” game and isn’t giving anyone anything that they can edit or spin unopposed anymore. I mean Fox can do just so much by themselves you know…

CCRWM on October 1, 2008 at 1:28 AM

hawkdriver

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:25 AM

GF says, “Don’t you believe her!” I’m assuming SWMBO is right that you’re a poopy-girl troll.

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 1:28 AM

What is your point?

MUST BE A WITCH!!!

My point is that I am sorely disappointed in Palin. I thought she could pull it off. I thought there was substance behind all that jazz. I thought she could make a point cogently and not go back to the same words and platitudes over and over again, Tina Fey-style (which, as Allahpundit pointed out, is almost verbatim). I feel ripped off and when I see a train wreck such as this interview I comment on it.

Now, why would I still comment when I support the ticket? Because I have integrity and freedom of conscience. I will speak my mind even if it is not to the benefit of the political cause of the day. And also, I don’t think I’m exactly converting anyone here to Obamaism.

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:29 AM

Laura in Maryland on October 1, 2008 at 1:26 AM

:-)

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 1:29 AM

CCRWM on October 1, 2008 at 1:28 AM

Amen. Charlie Gibson used to have some degree of professionalism,and to see him pull a GOTCHA stunt on Palin woulda/shoulda been enough to make any human wary of a microphone.

Laura in Maryland on October 1, 2008 at 1:31 AM

CCRWM on October 1, 2008 at 1:28 AM

Thank you. I still think, when watching this and other segments, that Sarah had nothing to lose by naming a single publication. For instance, I think her lack of knowledge additional legislative calls by John McCain to regulate the mortgage bonanza was NOT a fair gotcha. She didn’t have to know that.

This is. The Bush Doctrine thing is. I subscribe to those, including Rick Lowry, who think that even though Gibson was being coy or ignorant himself, Sarah didn’t have a clue of even what the term “Bush Doctrine” meant. As with this segment tonight, it displays a staggering grade of unpreparedness. That’s the larger point I’m making.

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:32 AM

Too late! Way to go. Everyone in my house is up now marching around chanting “hopey-changy, hopey-changy!”

Seriously, whatever you are, save it until after the elections. If you’re an Obama troll, GF says you’re not a very good one. If you really are a McCain Supporter then your comments serve no-one but Obama. Sort of makes you a turd no matter how you slice it. And no matter how you slice a turd…

Oh never mind. Nite

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 1:33 AM

OK, another round then:

Yes, a set up. This has been stated, hashed, rehashed and restated so I’m not going to waste my time reprinting it.
Go back and read the thread.

And regardless of your view on whether or not she could have/should have answered it better (again, I think most people here would agree that she could have answered it better)…

…one simply can’t get from there to “clearly infering” that she has NEVER read a magazine.

I mean, my intelligence dropped just READING your assertion.

Maybe you don’t know, but I do.

Oh, I see.

First you could “clearly infer” something that clearly wasn’t there.

Now you KNOW what she was thinking when she dodged the question.

You’re psychic!!!

You again p3wned yourself. That first sentence is contradicted by the second sentence.

But she has never read a foreign policy paper or article

Never?

Really?

Not even when she was a journalism major in college?

Not even when working with Canada over land rights?

Not even since her selection and not in preparation for the debate?

Wow!! /sarc

1) You are acting like a troll and many here have noted that.
2) One of the first sign of losing an argument is when you have to redefine a word. “Trolls” don’t apply to political blogs??!!

Injecting a dissenting comment after a monolithic chain is not trolling,

Monolithic chain?

Are you serious?

Have you READ the thread?

Oh, sorry. Dumb question. Your comment shows that you haven’t.

Again with the re-definition. You can keep it because you’re not fooling anyone.

If it’s legal of course you can’t go to jail for it.

OK.

Then only ILLEGAL activity can put you in jail.

So you’re INFERING that Gov. Palin, while not wanting to put people in jail for having an abortion, would favor fining them or giving them probation?

Because that’s the only alternative you have if you want to get anal retentive over the “not going to jail” comment.

In other words, it’s perfectly clear that she’s not going to make it illegal.

Clear?

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 1:36 AM

hawkdriver

I still find it striking that you can’t conceive the possibility that my comments are my fair assessment, as a McCain supporter, of how things are turning out. I HAVE to be a troll, an Obama operative or a McCain supporter whose comments “serve” Obama. In your world, I can’t just be a guy with an opinion. Go talk about that with your girlfriend-

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:36 AM

Governor Palin clearly doesn’t know how to deal with the press. In this way, shes actually more like Dick Cheney than George Bush, before he became President anyway.

Speedwagon82 on October 1, 2008 at 1:37 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:32 AM

OMG, okay I’m back for a second and you’re made. You are a troll and nothing you say can convince me otherwise. You get one person to say they don’t think you’re a troll and you start dog-piling your other points. You could only have one purpose and that’s to turn people off of Palin and hence the ticket.

GO back to DU you troll!

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 1:37 AM

Oh never mind. Nite

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 1:33 AM<

It is about time. All your racket is keeping my kids awake.

Nighty night!

Laura in Maryland on October 1, 2008 at 1:38 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:32 AM

Okay compare her to Obama and tell me what you think? Please talk about his staggering grade of unpreparedness … okay the point is that our number two is way more experienced than their number one… and she relates to a lot more of us than he does.. So why should she get off the stage? Is someone “better” waiting in the wings to jump right in? No! We love her just fine…

CCRWM on October 1, 2008 at 1:41 AM

Three cheers for Hawkdriver for driving the witch out of the village:

Hip hip, Hooray!
Hip hip, Hooray!
Hip, crack, pop, I am too old to cheer.

Job well done.

Laura in Maryland on October 1, 2008 at 1:42 AM

Nite all!

CCRWM on October 1, 2008 at 1:44 AM

Don’t presume to know anything about me. I’m tired of that crap.

I know everything there is to know about you, and don;t blame me for that…

you’re as transparent as a beggar with a briefcase.

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 1:44 AM

Religious Zelot:

I thought of you earlier today. I saw a car with a McCain bumpersticker turning into a Unitarian church. I almost wrecked just from the shock of it.

Laura in Maryland on October 1, 2008 at 1:45 AM

“My comments don’t “serve” anyone. You got any idea how many people I’ve talked into giving McCain a second look? You don’t know me. Don’t presume to know anything about me. I’m tired of that crap. It’s as the other guy said…these Internet “debates” bring the worst in people – in this case, you.”

God, I hope you didn’t win them over using that approach. I don’t know you and don’t wan to know you. If you’re really a Republican, you’re not the kind of Republican I want to know.

But that’s right, people who can’t even come here and do a straight up arguement about their liberal ideas have to use sophmoric mind games thinking we’re stupid and will fall for the “Oh, I’m a disgruntled McCain supporter” BS bring out the worst in me.

If you’re for McCain, get over your Palin hangup because she’s the VP on the ticket.

If you’re a troll, which you are, grow a pair and tell us what your real political beliefs are. Try and convince us of that, because you’re failing miserably as a troll.

“Inept she is”, said GF.

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 1:45 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:36 AM

Again, you’re certainly entitled to your opinion.

But as someone once said, you’re not entitled your own facts.

You have made several statement that have easily been proven false.

You want to avoid being called a troll?
- Stop stating opinion as fact
- Admit when you make a mistake

It’s not the dissent that we’re having a problem with.

It’s the dishonesty inside the dissent.

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 1:45 AM

Religious Zelot:

Laura in Maryland on October 1, 2008 at 1:45 AM

Maybe they were just turning around?

Ah, what the heck. We have a big tent!

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 1:46 AM

Laura in Maryland on October 1, 2008 at 1:42 AM

GF says to say “night” for sure now and you’re welcome.

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 1:48 AM

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 1:46 AM

Now that’s diversity you can believe in.

Laura in Maryland on October 1, 2008 at 1:48 AM

Well, I’ve GOT to turn in. I am up WAAAYY past my bedtime.

I leave Laura, Saltysam and Hawk in charge of troll-hunting duties.

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 1:49 AM

I’ve seen trolls without a clue, but this poor thing doesn’t even suspect nothin’.

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 1:51 AM

GO back to DU you troll!

Yeah, that’ll teach me! You blew my cover! Now you can go to bed satisfied that your worldview stays intact and nothing is out of place. Good night.

CCRWM on October 1, 2008 at 1:41 AM

That’s far more reasonable than the crap the other guys are putting out. In my opinion Obama is brutally unprepared to be President. First and foremost, no executive experience. Second, his legislative experience is thin or nil. Third, his non-government work experience is either irrelevant or shady. I agree that Palin is more prepared, as far as resumes go, than he is. Still, we were discussing Palin, not Obama. And she-is-not-perfect. It will take some time, but you will realize her answers so far are a disaster waiting to explode. I do think there’s room for improvement, but it will not come soon enough. As other commenters said earlier, Biden will trounce her.

I know everything there is to know about you, and don;t blame me for that…

you’re as transparent as a beggar with a briefcase.

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 1:44 AM

Well, looks like we got a clairvoyant among us. Aren’t you the same guy that tried to “define” me as a retard a couple of pages ago? Yeah, keep telling yourself things man.You know everything there is to know about me….

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:51 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:51 AM

You’re in so far over your head, you’d drown in a mud puddle.

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 1:52 AM

Good night!

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 1:53 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:51 AM

BOO!

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 1:54 AM

The “Obama for America” $7 per hour blog spammers are out in force!

Are they working out of an office in Chicago or from Columbia U in Manhattan?

mylegsareswollen on October 1, 2008 at 1:55 AM

You give yourself away…

Good night

CCRWM on October 1, 2008 at 1:56 AM

I can’t actually believe that you still think I’m not who I say I am. As I said before, you’re pathetic. I wonder how you can operate in the real world. Do you doubt everyone’s identity? Don’t you realize whate you look like in front of other readers when you insist on claiming I’m someone else, as if this were a cat-and-mouse game?

You have made several statement that have easily been proven false.

Hahaha, proven false? When did you prove Palin is/was actually a reader of a publication or two about foreign affairs? The burden of proof is on you, because her answer during the interview, as others have pointed out, merits doubt.

You would also have to prove that her answer to Couric’s question on making abortion illegal wasn’t a dodge, which it was. I repeat: at no point did she say whether she would work to make certain cases of abortion illegal. She answered about something else, that was not asked. Mmmkay?

It’s not the dissent that we’re having a problem with.

Please, it¡s too late for that. You and others have exposed how jittery you get when you read something you don’t like. It’s all out there for everyone to read. Unless I bow to Palin and go mute (because she’s the nominee), my comments won’t be accepted.

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:57 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:51 AM

What strikes me most about HA is that the folks here reeeally know their stuff. For the most part, I have found the regulars to be polite, BUT they do not tolerate BS. They respect facts. As we all know, opinions are like um uh feet (yeah let’s go with feet). Everyone has one and everyone thinks everyone else’s stinks.

Don’t forget that what many of us like about Palin is “authenticity”. You might find that if you are authentic here, you may encounter less scoffing.

Laura in Maryland on October 1, 2008 at 1:59 AM

mylegsareswollen

You guys are unbelievable. You sound like Politburo apparatchiks: all dissent is the product of a conspiracy/covert operation from the other side! Must purge!

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:59 AM

but you will realize her answers so far are a disaster waiting to explode. I do think there’s room for improvement, but it will not come soon enough. As other commenters said earlier, Biden will trounce her.Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:51 AM

You give yourself away…

Good night

CCRWM on October 1, 2008 at 1:56 AM

CCRWM on October 1, 2008 at 1:59 AM

Laura in Maryland

When/where have I not been authentic? It would be much easier to just recant or go with the crowd. The funniest thing about all this is that if Allahpundit, my favorite blogger, were to drop in in this conversation, he would agree with my views about Palin, not yours. Think about that for a while…

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 2:01 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:57 AM

Face it.

Obama is a liar.
Obama is a fraud.
Obama is a socialist.
Obama has no qualifications for POTUS.

Palin has more qualifications to be President than O-sham-a, yet she’s running for VP.

She could read Mad magazine for all I care, and I’d trust her more than I would Biden.

Case closed.

Nite all.

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 2:03 AM

I am absolutely not an Obama supporter but couldn’t she have come up with at lease one or two magazines, Newsweek, National Geographic, Crains, Mad Magazine. I could field questions from these sleazy lowlife reporters and get our message across far better than either of our candidates. I wonder who is advising them.

I watched Obama continue to hammer McCain in the debate about blame for the economic mess and McCain barely fought back and never once made mention that he himself and George Bush both tried to warn about the impending crisis of Fannie and Freddie but was rebuffed by the Dems.

McCain let Obama bash the republican administration over and over and he stood there with a goofy smile on his face but not once did he remind the country that the Republicans have kept America safe and prevented another terrorist attack for over 7 years now (Job 1 for and President).

The Republicans/Conservatives better learn how to communicate or it will be OVER

oped01 on October 1, 2008 at 2:04 AM

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 2:03 AM

For once, I agree with you. So what if Obama is all that? Can’t we debate Palin on her own merits?

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 2:04 AM

Laura in Maryland

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 2:01 AM

…if the teacher were here, you would totally like be in trouble.

I don’t pretend to know the mind of AP. There is the discussion of issues, and then there is bashing. If you’re bashing, you are a troll.

Now, I have to get some sleep. I have to take care of my own whiney kids in the morning.

Laura in Maryland on October 1, 2008 at 2:05 AM

Good night all.

Laura in Maryland on October 1, 2008 at 2:06 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 2:04 AM

Sure.

You agree that she’s more qualified than O-sham-a.
You agree that she could read Mad magazine for all I care, and I’d trust her more than I would Biden.

Your turn.

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 2:07 AM

Damn Dorvillian! That video with the KGB propagandist defector from 1985 was amazing!

It’s playing out at its peak right now.

Every HotAir reader please take the time to go watch this video all the way through.

techno_barbarian on October 1, 2008 at 2:08 AM

Sure.

You agree that she’s more qualified than O-sham-a.

Your turn.

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 2:07 AM

As I said before, yes, I agree with all that. But my point in this thread was that I don’t have to like the fact that she sounds illiterate on foreign policy, or that she can’t get by an interview succesfully.

Palin was our nuclear strike, a campaign changer, the herald of a new generation of Republicans who could electrify the country – not just the base. It turns out she’s not ready for that yet. I ate her convention speech like it was candy, and I enjoyed watching the Democrats and the media going desperate in their attacks against her. But then she began doing these interviews, and her weak points began to show. You expected her to be perfect? Personally, I wasn’t expecting to see such a disappointment.

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 2:12 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 1:51 AM

Quit worrying about this group. Trolling for trolls is a favorite past time with many HA posters who would like this place to become nothing but an echo chamber, impervious to new ideas, and they are afraid to consider ideas they don’t immediately agree with. Par for the whole damn course.

There are a few of us ready, willing, and able to speak up when needed (which is every thread) to keep HA from becoming a stale, small-brained-people club with the solemn pledge to refrain from thinking beyond ‘me too!’

trailboss on October 1, 2008 at 2:12 AM

trailboss on October 1, 2008 at 2:12 AM

My God, finally someone else said it (and in a much more cogent way)! Thank you, my friend. I was thinking the exact same thing, and I’m extremely disappointed in the HotAir commenting community. Too bad, because Allahpundit’s blog posts are like an addiction to me.

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 2:15 AM

But, and it’s a big butt, too much snark and self-important bashing is no fun for anyone.

trailboss on October 1, 2008 at 2:16 AM

How on earth did you conclude that she “obviously has never read a magazine”, from her answer to that question? Is this an issue of your comprehension, or did she say that somewhere else that I haven’t heard about yet?

capitalist piglet on October 1, 2008 at 2:18 AM

capitalist piglet on October 1, 2008 at 2:18 AM

This should me directed at me, not the above poster. It’s obviously a bit of an exaggeration, but the reason is simple: people who read magazines know the titles of magazines. Some people argue that she does know, but she *nuance* won’t reveal that all-important secret!

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 2:20 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 2:15 AM

The HA community is fairly diverse, but a core group work hard to homogenize thinking, and will do all they can in their limited ability to stifle opinions they don’t already own.

I’ve battled them too many times to get upset anymore. Keep your cool and lower the temperature, and most of them will eventually lose interest.

trailboss on October 1, 2008 at 2:20 AM