Palin talks gays, feminism, abortion, and evolution with Couric; Update: Video added

posted at 8:33 pm on September 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

I waited an hour for CBS to post the video. No luck. I’m uploading my own cut so stand by for that; when their version goes up, I’ll swap it in. In the meantime, here’s the transcript. Remember, the rap on Palin is that she’s supposedly a “Christianist” nut ready to impose theocracy at the first opportunity. Here we learn that she supports contraception; doesn’t want to punish abortion with jail time; supports teaching evolution as “an accepted principle” and may very well oppose teaching creationism (it’s ambiguous); and reaffirms that she doesn’t judge gays, partly because she’s had a close friend who’s gay for decades.

And yet. Read through it and tell me what the media will lead with tomorrow. Here’s a hint: It has nothing to do with her policy answers.

Update: Here’s the vid.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7

I don’t know. Drudge showed a much differnt polling of who won the debate and AOLs Straw poll is open to anyone to vote. You don’t have to be an AOL user. A half a million every week!

I think the polls are spin right now. I’m not sure I trust any of the so-called main-stream polls.

hawkdriver on September 30, 2008 at 11:24 PM

I agree with you — the polls are junk. The people whose opinions we need to know are the least likely to respond to a pollster, imho.

I saw that the AOL poll is open (and just voted), but before today I never went to that site… whereas my 70-something year old mother-in-law who uses AOL service probably visits it daily. Just a theory.

Y-not on September 30, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Asking what newspapers she reads is a “gotcha” moment?

This is why I think she is not qualified to be VP. If she thinks such softball gimme questions are “gotcha” journalism, she will fold like a tent if she becomes president and has to deal with hostile leaders. It’s a risk we cannot afford to take. McCain’s VP pick made it MUCH easier for me to support Obama for president.

philnewkirk on September 30, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Boy, you sure told me. People like you pay attention to such things…Gov. Palin wasn’t going to play your game, and leftist nitwits like you can’t stand it. Can you tell me one interview where Obama was badgered like this? Can you recall?

You were always going to vote for Obama — you’re not fooling anyone.

Richard Romano on September 30, 2008 at 11:34 PM

Drudge just ran with the debate moderator story.

I guess I’m not crazy, this really is a big deal.

Dorvillian on September 30, 2008 at 11:34 PM

CCRWM on September 30, 2008 at 11:22 PM

Gov. Palin mentioned the other day that the children where getting to see the sites in the areas they have visited. Who wouldn’t take the opportunity for their children to see and experience all of this. Probably the dreaded home schooling.

Cindy Munford on September 30, 2008 at 11:34 PM

I just want lansing quaker to know that a lot of us will also be doubly disappointed if Sen. Obama wins, just in a different order. Does that make sense?

Cindy Munford on September 30, 2008 at 11:31 PM

Hey, Cindy. I know, and I’m with ya. I didn’t get my “Palin” tattoo for nothing (just the stars of the Alaskan flag, on my right deltoid). We will all suffer with Obama-Biden in the White House.

So I know where you all are coming from. I’m still pretty much in shock — shock! — that Barack Obama and his DNC cheerleaders (Pelosi, Dean, Brazile) would drive me into actually reading sources outside of the liberal bubble and make me more of a “skeptical Democrat” or “Republican leaner.”

Really interesting phenomenon.

lansing quaker on September 30, 2008 at 11:34 PM

You are right that not naming the newspapers and magarzines will be the first thing they will pick up on.
However it damn smart.
It would be something distorted or some stupid idea would occur to liberals to ban the magazine or drive it out of business because Sarah Palin reads it.
See if I am wrong but some liberals are making me lose faith in humanity. I don’t ask people to agree with me but I detest those who tear me apart if I don’t agree with them.

Gracelynn on September 30, 2008 at 11:35 PM

Here’s another worthless survey regarding Sarah Palin that deserves Hotair’s influence to skew their hopeful outcome. :-)

If John McCain died or became incapacitated, would Sarah Palin be competent to be President?

- TiminNC

timinnc on September 30, 2008 at 11:36 PM

Not answering a question like that, it will be played on radio shows all over the country tomorrow, and the common theme will be “what a dummy”.

muyoso on September 30, 2008 at 11:07 PM

Did you even read the NRO article? Lopez says:

“And what it looked liked to me is the governor of Alaska decided she wasn’t going to play along with Couric. Whatever she answered would be scrutinized for the next 24 hours for what she included and left off. So instead she let Katie badger her a little.”

What part of that DON’T you understand.

Mr_Magoo on September 30, 2008 at 11:36 PM

Anyone ever noticed how the MSM keeps Todd Palin out of the “picture” as much as possible.

This battle is over the female vote, and women dig him.

Saltysam on September 30, 2008 at 11:36 PM

Does anyone know anything about the Presidential Debate Committee?

Would it be possible to influence them to change the moderator at such a late date?

Dorvillian on September 30, 2008 at 11:37 PM

lansing quaker on September 30, 2008 at 11:34 PM

Well I hope you enjoy it here at HotAir, I think you will find that the posters here are smart funny and for the most part very kind. Welcome.

Cindy Munford on September 30, 2008 at 11:38 PM

Crap you guys, get..a..grip. PBS is government funded. It’ll have to be fair.

hawkdriver on September 30, 2008 at 11:07 PM

Bwahahahaahaha!!! Thanks hawkdriver! I needed a good laugh.

techno_barbarian on September 30, 2008 at 11:39 PM

Is there a reason why Couric (who single handedly killed CBS News), felt it necessary to show cleavage?

Blake on September 30, 2008 at 11:39 PM

This battle is over the female vote, and women dig him.

Saltysam on September 30, 2008 at 11:36 PM

lol, My daughter said he was a hot older-guy.

hawkdriver on September 30, 2008 at 11:39 PM

Bwahahahaahaha!!! Thanks hawkdriver! I needed a good laugh.

techno_barbarian on September 30, 2008 at 11:39 PM

Delay fuse/Point Detonating

:-)

hawkdriver on September 30, 2008 at 11:41 PM

Dorvillian on September 30, 2008 at 11:37 PM

Don’t get me started about that group. When Sen. Obama got to chose the number and type of the debates that were to be held I was furious. I went to their website to protest what seemed to me a very singular decision. There is no way to contact them. They have no email link and no street address. Now it has been a while and maybe that has changed but I was spitting nails when I last went to the site.

Cindy Munford on September 30, 2008 at 11:41 PM

Drudge just ran with the debate moderator story.

I guess I’m not crazy, this really is a big deal.

Dorvillian on September 30, 2008 at 11:34 PM

Yeah it is. Hopefully we can get this woman replaced before the debate. At least we found out before it was too late, and now everyone will be on high alert for bias in the questions, hopefully including the MSM. I

jimmy the notable on September 30, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Wow, using the word “competent” instead of “qualified” is sure an interesting choice on their part. No bias there.

I’m kind of surprised that they didn’t include “cancer victim” before John McCain in their question, actually, particularly after that slimy cancer doc ad they ran last week.

Y-not on September 30, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Repeat Theme

Quick show of hands, all:

You live in a city of 1 million, and the city council of 11 reps is made up of one type of person – do you want 11 Bidens or 11 Palins? This includes all of you butt-sniffing “Palin-is-Stupid” New York liberal RINOs.

Raise ‘em high.

Jaibones on September 30, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Does anyone know anything about the Presidential Debate Committee?

Dorvillian on September 30, 2008 at 11:37 PM

Geez, the original concern about looking racist has got to be a big concern. But a big man, (Obama/Biden not either being) would say, “Look, no big deal, we can have someone else if it looks fishy to you”.

McCain would absolutely do something like that. (Just to make us mad)

hawkdriver on September 30, 2008 at 11:44 PM

My church has a ministry devoted exclusively to women who’ve had an abortion. It is a well attended ministry… There are probably a lot of women who appreciate and support Sarah Palin because she was strong enough in her faith and conviction not to end Trig’s life… The women in this ministry regret their abortion(s), feel the sadness and pain of a decision made in youth, ignornace, fright, panic whatever…especially if they had other children after…

If one believe’s life begins at conception then the mnorning after pill would be considered a form of abortion…

CCRWM on September 30, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Thanks Cindy.

I haven’t been this worked up in awhile.

Isn’t it about time we started insisting on at least the perception of fairness?

Dorvillian on September 30, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Folks, I think we need a new moderator for Thursday nite

ConservativePartyNow on September 30, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Quick show of hands, all:

Biden who? Honestly, how the Obama camp can criticize Palin when Biden has been such an unmitigated disaster is beyond me.

Y-not on September 30, 2008 at 11:45 PM

Folks, I think we need a new moderator for Thursday nite

ConservativePartyNow on September 30, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Welcome to the fold.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could feasible be done? Who do we freak out on?

Dorvillian on September 30, 2008 at 11:47 PM

Cindy Munford on September 30, 2008 at 11:34 PM

Normally in the “tolerant” liberal world a lot of things Sarah Palin does would be applauded but unfortunatly she isn’t the right type of woman (conservative, pro life etc…) so they will skewer her for anything she does… it’s been unrelenting…

CCRWM on September 30, 2008 at 11:48 PM

Folks, I think we need a new moderator for Thursday nite

ConservativePartyNow on September 30, 2008 at 11:44 PM

OMG, That’s her?

Seriously, she does those PBS Annenberg, Faux-Nonpartisan political education programs.

hawkdriver on September 30, 2008 at 11:50 PM

Welcome to the fold.

Dorvillian on September 30, 2008 at 11:47 PM

We just let it ride and the Ifill will really need to watch herself, otherwise it will definitely appear what it is. The MSM bashing the GOP

ConservativePartyNow on September 30, 2008 at 11:50 PM

Here is the phone number to the CPD….

For more information on debates, contact the CPD at (202) 872-1020.

There was no direct number to “contact” them. I found this number on their site under the heading of how to host your own debate.

csdeven on September 30, 2008 at 11:52 PM

Richard Romano on September 30, 2008 at 11:34 PM

So you are admitting that Palin is being “badgered” when asked such an easy question? If so, she has no place in higher office, where she will be badgered by the media 24/7.

philnewkirk on September 30, 2008 at 11:52 PM

I hate to beat a dead horse, I can’t force anyone to watch this, but if any of you do it will certainly change your views about media bias.

Former KGB agent explains media bias & manufactured crises.

They’re no longer even making an attempt to hide their agenda

Dorvillian on September 30, 2008 at 11:54 PM

A community organizer?

darwin on September 30, 2008 at 11:23 PM

That reminds me; shouldn’t we be referring to Obambi as “former community organizer and ACORN lawyer Barack Obama…”?

The Obambi Goon Squad couldn’t prosecute because it’s true.

techno_barbarian on September 30, 2008 at 11:55 PM

Folks, I think we need a new moderator for Thursday nite

ConservativePartyNow on September 30, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Meh, McCain agreed to the terms of the debate, including the moderator, weeks ago. Seems he vetted her as well as his running mate LOL.

philnewkirk on September 30, 2008 at 11:55 PM

Folks, I think we need a new moderator for Thursday nite

ConservativePartyNow on September 30, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Why does McCain agree to all these people and all these terms???

CCRWM on September 30, 2008 at 11:55 PM

Commission on Presidential Debates (from Michelle Malkin) 202-872-1020.

mr.blacksheep on September 30, 2008 at 11:55 PM

philnewkirk on September 30, 2008 at 11:52 PM

Having fun while sipping on your Mecca-Cola?

lansing quaker on September 30, 2008 at 11:56 PM

@ Mr_Magoo on September 30, 2008 at 11:36 PM

What part of, it doesn’t matter what the NRO says because she doesnt have to impress conservatives, dont you understand? She has to impress independents.

muyoso on September 30, 2008 at 11:58 PM

Folks, I think we need a new moderator for Thursday nite

ConservativePartyNow on September 30, 2008 at 11:44 PM

Gwen Ifill is an illiterate affirmative action liberal, and a nitwit. Republicans simply need to stop entering the MSM/Leftist cloister every four years, and conduct their own independent debate series among other conservatives.

Not one of the candidates has appeared in front of a registered Republican in the media since the campaign started. It is an unbroken string of liberal Dems.

They should just avoid these traps. They are pointless.

Jaibones on September 30, 2008 at 11:58 PM

Dorvillian on September 30, 2008 at 11:44 PM

I am with you. I would like someone to start investigate the press also. Between the email Glen Reynolds received and the fact that David Gregory’s wife is apparently a big wig at a company involved in this financial mess and had to resign, the right is getting the shaft. Freedom of the Press unless you are a conservative.

Cindy Munford on September 30, 2008 at 11:58 PM

But if you really want to know what threw me over the edge take a look at this.

It takes a former KGB agent to make the connection between the actions of the media and the messages coming from the Obama campaign. This clip is from 1985 but it sounds like he taped yesterday afternoon.

It’s time to stop laughing about the media bias, it’s there for a reason.

Dorvillian on September 30, 2008 at 11:21 PM

Thanks for the link, Dorvillian. Got it open and ready to watch in a little while. Streaming Pandora through the stereo right now with Mrs B.

OT.. Pandora is hands down the best application ever developed on the intertubes! Highly recommended.

techno_barbarian on September 30, 2008 at 11:59 PM

philnewkirk on September 30, 2008 at 11:55 PM

Phil, if I made like you convinced me to vote for Obama and really laid it on like it was true and just left, would you promise to leave too? All these nice folks could talk and I could go to bed and you could feel like you earned your 14 bucks tonight.

Two hours you’ve been on, right?

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 12:01 AM

Thanks for the info cdseven.

From the CPD website:

Candidate Negotiation
The debate sponsor and the participants must agree on the details and terms of the debate…

The McCain camp knows what is going on here.

If they refuse to look out for their own best interests…what can we possibly do to help them?

Dorvillian on October 1, 2008 at 12:03 AM

They should just avoid these traps. They are pointless.

Jaibones on September 30, 2008 at 11:58 PM

Someone refresh my memory, when has a debate (Saddleback doesn’t count) ever been moderated by a conservative. Brit Hume? Really, I can’t remember.

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 12:04 AM

philnewkirk on September 30, 2008 at 11:55 PM

Then I assume u thought it was perfectly alright when George Stephanopoulos was the debate moderator who worked for President Clinton in that one debate Obama got pounded in during the primary?

terryannonline on October 1, 2008 at 12:04 AM

you could feel like you earned your 14 bucks tonight.

Two hours you’ve been on, right?

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 12:01 AM

I read Obama was only paying 12 bucks… He’s owed 24 bucks…

I recognize the trolls..obots…whatever they are and skip their post but always read the real HA participants smack downs…always good for a chuckle…

CCRWM on October 1, 2008 at 12:07 AM

philnewkirk on September 30, 2008 at 11:52 PM

Again, for about the umpteenth time, no one, especially Sarah, is complaining about being badgered. The issue is that Oslime-a, the radical white hating terrorist sympathizer, doesn’t get THE SAME SO-CALLED “BADGERING”.

csdeven on October 1, 2008 at 12:07 AM

Drudge just ran with the debate moderator story.

I guess I’m not crazy, this really is a big deal.

Dorvillian on September 30, 2008 at 11:34 PM

WHOA! I have never seen a Drudge headline that big!

Huge deal, indeed!

At some point Mr. and Mrs. Avg American is going to finally get the idea that something very definitely is not right in media-land.

techno_barbarian on October 1, 2008 at 12:07 AM

Notice how philnewkirk thinks that by saying that Sen. McCain agreed to the terms that we can’t raise hell? Even if nothing comes of it we will feel better for having stood up to the endless double standards.

Cindy Munford on October 1, 2008 at 12:09 AM

techno_barbarian on October 1, 2008 at 12:07 AM

Has anyone come up with a contact point to register displeasure?

Cindy Munford on October 1, 2008 at 12:10 AM

Dorvillian on October 1, 2008 at 12:03 AM

That’s true, but did Ifell come clean about her book and her obvious disgust for Sarah before the negotiations?

csdeven on October 1, 2008 at 12:10 AM

I read Obama was only paying 12 bucks… He’s owed 24 bucks…

CCRWM on October 1, 2008 at 12:07 AM

They’re like kids. They just want a little attention and it’s so easy to give it to them.

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 12:11 AM

This was a train wreck. The magazines-she-reads meme was the worst part, but she even flunked the abortion part with more and more vagueness. Sarah has already crashed and burned; the debate will only be the final plank.

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:14 AM

ugh, the vultures will be leading with the what rags do you read question. wtf kind of question is that?

anna on October 1, 2008 at 12:14 AM

philnewkirk on September 30, 2008 at 11:52 PM

Sheesh, you’re still here?

OK, in response:
1) Yes, Couric was badgering her.
2) Gov. Palin responded forcefully to the badgering and shut it down.
3) Gov. Palin did not ‘blink’, ‘choke’ or have a ‘brain freeze’ – she quickly redirected the conversation and took control of it.
4) Thus, Gov. Palin acted not only like a politician, but positively PRESIDENTIAL! ;)

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 12:16 AM

techno_barbarian on October 1, 2008 at 12:07 AM

Actually, I just went over to Wonkette the DC Gossip and they’re making fun of our concerns and her injured ankle. GO figure. Claiming a Tanya Harding conspiracy they are. But I brought a small sample from their site so you don’t have to.

“Scrodd says at 3:15 pm, September 30th, 2008
Reply: Her replacement is slated to be a panel comprised of Sean Hannity, Phyllis Schlafly, and Michael Savage.”

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 12:16 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:14 AM

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 12:16 AM

She cannot even name a single newspaper. What a gotcha question, putting poor Palin in a position like this. Who could expect a VP candidate to name a newspaper. It’s such a tough gotcha question. Shame on Katie Couric for interrogating poor Sarah like this!

philnewkirk on September 30, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Just got here, five pages, so I doubt I’m the first to say this, but…I really wish you would take your act elsewhere.

In other words, please – just shut up.

capitalist piglet on October 1, 2008 at 12:17 AM

My problem with Ifil moderating is that those all important undecideds don’t get a real chance to see who she is or what she knows because of the deception and bias of the moderators or interviewers…

I just want some fairness and a honest fight already!

CCRWM on October 1, 2008 at 12:17 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:14 AM

From Obama’s mouth to your ears.

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 12:18 AM

Michelle’s article is up at Headlines. In it there is a phone number for the Debate Commission. I attempted to call and leave a voice on my concerns but the line went directly to busy. Do you think anyone else is calling?

Cindy Munford on October 1, 2008 at 12:18 AM

Raise ‘em high.

Jaibones on September 30, 2008 at 11:43 PM

11 Palins!!!

Mmmmmmm… 11 Palins…. OUCH! (vicious elbow to the head by Mrs. B!) ;)

techno_barbarian on October 1, 2008 at 12:20 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:14 AM

Look the midnight shift has started.

Cindy Munford on October 1, 2008 at 12:20 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:14 AM

Re-enforcements! If only we can employ all of America as “Obama for America” $7/hr trolls, then our economy would boom!

There’s the Obama economic plan in action, folks. Just get hired by Obama for America as a PDS advocate. $7/hr, and all the free-trade coffee you could ask for. And you’ll be performing a “public service” to boot!

lansing quaker on October 1, 2008 at 12:20 AM

Really? That’s the best you trolls can come up with? Palin didn’t name a newspaper, so she must not be able to?

It must be the best you can do, because you keep obsessing over it.

I’m sorry, but most of the newspapers and new magazines I’ve seen do a sorry job of informing people about issues. If you want to understand an issue, you’d better not rely on the media to educate you.

theregoestheneighborhood on September 30, 2008 at 10:44 PM

Then you should definitely be worried about Palin. She says she reads them all.

philnewkirk on September 30, 2008 at 10:46 PM

Let me help you out with your interpreting skills. When someone says they read all the papers, they don’t mean literally every newspaper, they mean they read all kinds of newspapers.

And the issue I’m pointing out is not that reading newspapers is bad, but that forming your world views based on the typical shallow reporting of a newspaper is not smart. If you want to understand an issue, research it for yourself. Don’t just read what some reporters wrote.

People who trusted the newspapers were very surprised to find out the surge was working. People who read, say, Michael Totten’s reports — and others — were way ahead of the newspapers.

People who read the newspapers in the Reagan administration knew that “Star Wars” was a hopeless pie-in-the-sky program that never stood a chance of working. They knew that the Soviet Union was an unstoppable juggernaut. They knew that when Reagan and Gorbachev met to negotiate, Gorbachev would outclass the cowboy.

They completely missed that SDI, while a long ways from complete, was the very thing that convinced the Soviets they could not compete with us militarily. They completely missed that the Soviet economy was lurching from disaster to disaster, usually getting bailed out by the U.S. They completely missed that Reagan had sowed the seeds of the collapse of Communism while they were writing scornfully about how old and dimwitted and out of touch he was.

The poison of the press against Palin is exactly the same as it was against Reagan, and is against Bush. In fact, that was even one of the attacks of the press against Bush: “He doesn’t read the newspapers.”

theregoestheneighborhood on October 1, 2008 at 12:20 AM

In other words, please – just shut up.

capitalist piglet on October 1, 2008 at 12:17 AM

I asked him if he had stopped eying little girls with bad intent yet.

Still waiting for an answer……

csdeven on October 1, 2008 at 12:20 AM

Cindy Munford on October 1, 2008 at 12:18 AM

It was Obama. He found out someone else wrote a book about him.

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 12:20 AM

Couric: Do you believe evolution should be taught as an accepted scientific principle or as one of several theories?

Palin: Oh, I think it should be taught as an accepted principle. And, as you know, I say that also as the daughter of a school teacher, a science teacher, who has really instilled in me a respect for science. It should be taught in our schools. And I won’t deny that I see the hand of God in this beautiful creation that is Earth. But that is not part of the state policy or a local curriculum in a school district. Science should be taught it science class.

Nice. I don’t think that’s ambiguous at all.

RightOFLeft on October 1, 2008 at 12:21 AM

Dorvillian on September 30, 2008 at 11:47 PM

Well, the Ombudsman at PBS might be one place to apply pressure.

According to PBS editorial standards, to which they claim to abide, there is a basis to complain forcefully on Ifill’s bias and its reflection on PBS.

Apparently, they were having a little problem with public donations this week when Mike Farrel spontaneously spouted off about Sarah Palin during a ’60s celebration. Perhaps a little visit from the HA crowd regarding Gwen Ifill might ratchet up the heat a little.

You can make your voice heard here with the ombudsman at PBS.

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 12:21 AM

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 12:16 AM

The difference between them and us. None of those would be acceptable to me either.

Cindy Munford on October 1, 2008 at 12:21 AM

Question to Obama: “When does a baby get human Rights?”

Obama, “Answering that question with Specificity is Above my pay Grade”

————-

Barack Obama, “I’ve got two daughters. 9 years old and 6 years old. I am going to teach them first of all about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don’t want them punished with a baby. I don’t want them punished with an STD at the age of 16!”

———
Hmmmm… A baby and an STD same thing i guess.. to a harr-vard garduate ?

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 12:22 AM

11 Palins!!!

Mmmmmmm… 11 Palins…. OUCH! (vicious elbow to the head by Mrs. B!) ;)

techno_barbarian on October 1, 2008 at 12:20 AM

Mrs Barbarian looks over your shoulder as you blog, does she?

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 12:22 AM

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 12:20 AM

He’s probably okay with that, next to being POTUS reading adoring books about himself is the best.

Cindy Munford on October 1, 2008 at 12:23 AM

I think Sarah looks great in this interview despite Katie’s many attempts at “gotcha” moments.

RobertCSampson on October 1, 2008 at 12:24 AM

She cannot even name a single newspaper…
phucwad on September 30, 2008 at 9:37 PM

I’d say that’s a point in her favor. I stopped wasting my time with newspapers years ago, when most of the articles descended from nonsense into gibberish. If I want to read something interesting, I go to arxiv.

mr.blacksheep on October 1, 2008 at 12:26 AM

Couric: If a 15-year-old is raped by her father, do you believe it should be illegal for her to get an abortion, and why?

Palin: I am pro-life. And I’m unapologetic in my position that I am pro-life. And I understand there are good people on both sides of the abortion debate. In fact, good people in my own family have differing views on abortion, and when it should be allowed. Do I respect people’s opinions on this. Now, I would counsel to choose life. I would also like to see a culture of life in this country. But I would also like to take it one step further. Not just saying I am pro-life and I want fewer and fewer abortions in this country, but I want them, those women who find themselves in circumstances that are absolutely less than ideal, for them to be supported, and adoptions made easier.

Couric: But ideally, you think it should be illegal for a girl who was raped or the victim of incest to get an abortion?

Palin: I’m saying that, personally, I would counsel the person to choose life, despite horrific, horrific circumstances that this person would find themselves in. And, um, if you’re asking, though, kind of foundationally here, should anyone end up in jail for having an … abortion, absolutely not. That’s nothing I would ever support.

I’m not exactly sure what’s vague about this, unless ANY answer other than “anyone should be able to have an abortion for any reason” is, by definition, ‘vague.’

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 12:27 AM

terryannonline on October 1, 2008 at 12:04 AM

Obviously I do not. I’m spitting nails over her. I want to fight. I want to become a “conservative community organizer” – but I seriously question the McCain camp’s intelligence on their dealings with the media.

After the Gibson antics shouldn’t some ground rules been put in place? Have you guys seen the full transcript of the Palin/Gibson interview? Large portions of her answers were removed. Instead of pointing out journalist malpractice they sent her out to chat with Katie Couric.

Again, rather than fight for fairness they allowed the least objective journalist possible moderate the VP debate.

We can’t fight their battles for them.

Dorvillian on October 1, 2008 at 12:28 AM

The McCain camp knows what is going on here.

Dorvillian on October 1, 2008 at 12:03 AM

Maybe this is a good thing, Dorvillian. Maybe she won’t be able to hide that bias and just lets it all hang out in front of the millions and millions of people who will be watching to see if SarahCuda will fail.

Unfiltered and live bias in front of people who are becoming more and more skeptical of the media and the radical leftists they’re supporting.

It could be a very good thing, actually. Especially if Palin actually does tie former community organizer and ACORN lawyer Barack Obama directly to credit crisis. That would be sweet!

techno_barbarian on October 1, 2008 at 12:29 AM

Oy. It’s bedtime for me, fellow HotAir commentors. Just remember, from a PUMA to you: don’t feed the $7/hr “Obama for America” trolls. Kick their teeth in and call them out on their faux “concern.”

Palin is a winner. As is McCain. They are right for America.

Don’t engage the trolls. Take the argument back to them.

Night all!

lansing quaker on October 1, 2008 at 12:29 AM

It’s that reading for comprehension, I didn’t notice the email address when I dialed the number. DOH! Anyway, here it is.

Ask the Commission on Presidential Debates if she will acknowledge her conflict of interest: 202-872-1020.

And here’s the e-mail address of Janet H. Brown, Executive Director of the Debates Commission: jb@debates.org

Cindy Munford on October 1, 2008 at 12:30 AM

I didn’t mind her newspaper/magazine answer at all. I read a lot of different things – like her, whatever is presented to me that I find interesting. I don’t have a favorite newsmagazine or paper I read…I think she sounds sincere, and like a normal American. It doesn’t suggest she’s uninformed – at least not to me.

capitalist piglet on October 1, 2008 at 12:31 AM

RobertCSampson on October 1, 2008 at 12:24 AM

I’m really hoping that she comes out of this stronger. It’s a lot like my younger warrant officers down at the company level. You see them getting beat up pretty bad by the old guys and you want to help them but you know there’s nothing you can do. If she survives all this crap, she is going to be one tuff politician.

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 12:31 AM

csdeven on October 1, 2008 at 12:20 AM

His act is way past the pull date, ain’t it?

capitalist piglet on October 1, 2008 at 12:32 AM

phucwad on September 30, 2008 at 9:37 PM

puckwad? is that nickname supposed to be clever?

Allah or Ed, ban that troll.

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 12:33 AM

I just sent an email noting my surprise that the author of a book about one of the current presidential candidates was picked to moderate the vice presidential debate and were they going to require that Ms. Ifil declare her partisanship at the beginning of the debate. No screaming, yelling or demands, just questions.

Cindy Munford on October 1, 2008 at 12:34 AM

To those who quoted me and even dismissed me as an Obama supporter: you’re a bunch of morons. I am actually a rabid McCain supporter, but unlike you I got eyes, ears and a brain.

Yes, it bothers me that Palin obviously has never read a magazine. Yes it bothers me that all she says is platitudes and generalities. You guys should stop drinking the Kool Aid and realize not everything your side does is picture-perfect. Palin is a wreck. Just look at the videos.

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:35 AM

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 12:27 AM

You get an amen from me brother zealot. “No one” on is asked questions like that. And no conservative has ever in my memory stood by their guns on the abortion issue so succintly. I would have asked Couric, do you have stats on how many abortions are because of rape or incest.

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 12:36 AM

Mrs Barbarian looks over your shoulder as you blog, does she?

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 12:22 AM

Sits in the recliner here right next to me with her laptop while she blogs on things that interest her. She’s one in a million and I am the luckiest guy on the planet.

techno_barbarian on October 1, 2008 at 12:37 AM

Sorry, quotes not strike-outs RZ man!

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 12:37 AM

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 12:33 AM

If they get rid of them all where am I going to get my laughs when the posters do their verbal beat downs?

Cindy Munford on October 1, 2008 at 12:37 AM

Palin is a wreck. Just look at the videos.

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:35 AM

These two things don’t seem to really fit together.

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 12:37 AM

Okay I don’t read any paper newspapers anymore..I start with Fox News then Drudge… Hot Air (though I can’t post until night) then RCP and on to other conservative sites if I have time… most recently I discovered from lansing quaker (I think) the Hillary Clinton Forum which has a lot of good and informative stuff on it…that group is on top of everything and they have these action alerts that mobilize you to do something… I used to check out CNN and MSNBC and some other liberal sites but I quit that about 3 weeks ago…

CCRWM on October 1, 2008 at 12:38 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:35 AM

Sorry, no sale that isn’t what she said and this has been discussed over many pages. Just start out knowing that you lost this argument and move on to your next best shot.

Cindy Munford on October 1, 2008 at 12:39 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:35 AM

That’s great. That’s all it really takes to make your point then and you’ve made it so….

Bye :-)

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:35 AM

She doesn’t want to endorse an magazine only to have it bash her next week then have it be a 4-5 story. moron.

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Cindy Munford on October 1, 2008 at 12:30 AM

Will make the time to do this tomorrow morning… Thanks

CCRWM on October 1, 2008 at 12:41 AM

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:35 AM

Yep. Another life long republican that voted for Bush in the last two elections but is suddenly abandoning the party for (insert issue of the day here)…

Heard it all before.

Cindy Munford on October 1, 2008 at 12:30 AM

Bump. And a hardy thank you.

Dorvillian on October 1, 2008 at 12:41 AM

“I am actually a rabid McCain supporter…

…realize not everything your side does is picture-perfect”

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:35 AM

I present Exhibit “A”.

Moron:

1. A stupid person; a dolt.
2. Psychology. A person of mild mental retardation having a mental age of from 7 to 12 years and generally having communication and social skills enabling some degree of academic or vocational education.

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 12:41 AM

You said this:

I got eyes, ears and a brain.

But then you prove otherwise by saying this:

Yes, it bothers me that Palin obviously has never read a magazine.

Is there such a thing as p3wning oneself?

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 12:42 AM

The trolls are rather low quality tonight, aren’t they?

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 12:44 AM