Palin talks gays, feminism, abortion, and evolution with Couric; Update: Video added

posted at 8:33 pm on September 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

I waited an hour for CBS to post the video. No luck. I’m uploading my own cut so stand by for that; when their version goes up, I’ll swap it in. In the meantime, here’s the transcript. Remember, the rap on Palin is that she’s supposedly a “Christianist” nut ready to impose theocracy at the first opportunity. Here we learn that she supports contraception; doesn’t want to punish abortion with jail time; supports teaching evolution as “an accepted principle” and may very well oppose teaching creationism (it’s ambiguous); and reaffirms that she doesn’t judge gays, partly because she’s had a close friend who’s gay for decades.

And yet. Read through it and tell me what the media will lead with tomorrow. Here’s a hint: It has nothing to do with her policy answers.

Update: Here’s the vid.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 1:02 AM

Careful with this one.

The first rule of dem communication is: “getting out there”, whether it is true or not.

The second rule is: the more you repeat a lie, the better it sounds.

The third rule is: the louder you shout it, the truer it becomes.

Good luck, and God Bless.

Laura in Maryland on October 1, 2008 at 1:07 AM

The Big Lie is a propaganda technique. It was defined by Adolf Hitler in his 1925 autobiography Mein Kampf as a lie so “colossal” that no one would believe that someone “could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously”.

Used in Hitler’s psychological profile

The phrase was also used in a report prepared during the war by the United States Office of Strategic Services in describing Hitler’s psychological profile:

His primary rules were: never allow the public to cool off; never admit a fault or wrong; never concede that there may be some good in your enemy; never leave room for alternatives; never accept blame; concentrate on one enemy at a time and blame him for everything that goes wrong; people will believe a big lie sooner than a little one; and if you repeat it frequently enough people will sooner or later believe it.

Sound like anyone we know?

Who does Obama attack ALL the time?

BoOOOOOSH!!!!!!!!! McCain is BOOOOSHHH!!
and some people believe it, some people think they are brothers! LMAO!!!

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 2:21 AM

trailboss on October 1, 2008 at 2:20 AM

Thanks man, appreciate it. With that I sign off for the night.

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 2:21 AM

I don’t have to like the fact that she sounds illiterate on foreign policy

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 2:12 AM

Scares the s**t out of the enemy. I love it.

Sounding it, and being it may be two separate things. Only time will determine that.

Does she have the instincts to master it? That should be the question. My gut tells me, yes.

A few weeks of media manipulation and agenda isn’t going to answer it.

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 2:22 AM

Goebbels Media operation going on at all the news networks.. Good job Nationalist Socialist Media!

Goebbels trained these morons well.

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 2:25 AM

capitalist piglet on October 1, 2008 at 2:18 AM

I think it’s bothersome because Palin continues to paint herself, unintentionally I believe, as a provincial isolate, uninterested in things outside her own eyesight.

Not being able to come up with at least one magazine she reads reinforces that image. I’m not interested in making excuses for her, so I am not quite sure how to react, yet.

trailboss on October 1, 2008 at 2:25 AM

trailboss on October 1, 2008 at 2:20 AM

Quit your whining. ;-)

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 2:27 AM

I don’t have to like the fact that she sounds illiterate on foreign policy

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 2:12 AM

Maybe that has something to do with the biased editing?

have you read the transcripts of the full interview?

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 2:28 AM

Quit your whining. ;-)

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 2:27 AM

Ah, hell. :-)

Nice to hear from you again.

trailboss on October 1, 2008 at 2:28 AM

Maybe that has something to do with the biased editing?

have you read the transcripts of the full interview?

Chakra Hammer on October 1, 2008 at 2:28 AM

Having watched and read the whole thing, I have no higher opinion of her. Well, she does sound semi-literate. No more so than my 20 year old daughter though, who seems far more interested in world affairs than Palin.

trailboss on October 1, 2008 at 2:36 AM

trailboss on October 1, 2008 at 2:36 AM

Has your 20 year old daughter the experience of city and state executive government?

Has she played power politics with big players and won, time and time again?

Did it escape your attention of how the Gibson interview was edited to create the perception that she’s a bubble head? Do you think that was by mistake or design?

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 2:42 AM

I’ve got to go to bed.

Trailboss, toughen up, and don’t feel sorry for these blubbering fools that bring attention to themselves through false arguments and ulterior intentions.

They make you look shady.

Saltysam on October 1, 2008 at 2:47 AM

“When a woman destroys the life of her unborn child, it is a sign that, by education or circumstances, she has been greatly wronged.” Susan B. Anthony

According to Katie Couric, when a father rapes his daughter the child that results should be put to death. Well, under current law, that is the daughter choice whether or not to punish her child for her father actions but what a sad one.

Katie, Sweetheart, Congress writes the laws. The executive branch’s obligation is to see that those signed by the President and not overturned by the SCOTUS are enforced.

Laurence on October 1, 2008 at 5:30 AM

Just have to say this about the snark at the end by Couric:

It’s not the McCain-Palin campaign which has MISedited her interviews and old videos, it’s your side, B!TCH!

Tommygun on October 1, 2008 at 6:33 AM

His act is way past the pull date, ain’t it?

capitalist piglet on October 1, 2008 at 12:32 AM

Hell yeah it is. I’m sure he’s over at KOS or some other site geared toward the immature. Being exposed to the logic here has to start wearing on him and he needs to go back and recharge his idiot batteries.

csdeven on October 1, 2008 at 7:00 AM

trailboss:

Is your 20 year old daughter a Governor? Did she negotiate a multi billion dollar pipeline deal with a foreign country?

Terrye on October 1, 2008 at 7:01 AM

Yes, it bothers me that Palin obviously has never read a magazine. Yes it bothers me that all she says is platitudes and generalities. You guys should stop drinking the Kool Aid and realize not everything your side does is picture-perfect. Palin is a wreck. Just look at the videos.

Baphomet on October 1, 2008 at 12:35 AM

Your problem is that it is you that have drank the kool aid provided by the MSM. They are speaking to the moronic masses with these interviews. They ask questions that on the surface appear to be enlightened and beyond the grasp of the regular everyday dummy. But those of us who understand Couric’s politics understand she is a vile liberal hack who promotes her leftist agenda disguised as journalism.

Sarah didn’t answer the question because she would have been criticized regardless of the mag or paper she admitted to.

What you think was a revelation into her character was simply evidence that Sarah has not yet become proficient in political double-speak. Couric was asking a question based in her assumption that Sarah is a hick. It was a “Have you stopped beating your wife yet?” question. There is no answer that can’t be criticized.

What she should have said was that because the vile accusations against her have become so pervasive, she didn’t feel it would be proper to open any mag or newspaper to criticism because she happens to read it. She could have then made a reference to some bias question that Gibson or Couric have engaged in already. IE: Biden’s Roosevelt gaff. Couric let that go without so much of a follow up but she attacks like a pitbull because Sarah doesn’t want to name a magazine or newspaper. Couric knows full well that naming a personal choice is not a good idea for the politician to do.

csdeven on October 1, 2008 at 7:29 AM

Katie was a prototypical cheerleader in Woodbridge, VA. Sarah was a varsity bball player in Wasilla, AK. Fast forward 30 years and Katie is still outside the arena while Sarah plays the game to win, taking risks while Katie plays the critic.

horatio on October 1, 2008 at 7:55 AM

umm Obama only watches Sportcenter to get his “informed opinion” on the campaign trail…

Butters on October 1, 2008 at 9:24 AM

Not being able wanting to come up with at least one magazine she reads reinforces that image. the image that she is a smart politician and can sense a worthless gotcha question.

trailboss on October 1, 2008 at 2:25 AM

FIFY

-sigh-

Look, if you can’t tell the difference between can’t and won’t then there is no reason for any of us to listen to anything else you have to say.

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 9:34 AM

Ya wanna talk stupid? Check this out and pass it on.

lisalj on October 1, 2008 at 9:38 AM

The HA community is fairly diverse, but a core group work hard to homogenize thinking, and will do all they can in their limited ability to stifle opinions they don’t already own.

I’ve battled them too many times to get upset anymore. Keep your cool and lower the temperature, and most of them will eventually lose interest.

trailboss on October 1, 2008 at 2:20 AM

Overseas it’s hard to actually log in and comment but I’ve read HA for quite some time. And I’ve been registered on the site for a long time. I’ve seen your posts before and just sort of pegged you as an antagonist that most of the other posters tend to “meh” over once you’ve made your same point over about 30 times. Just saying.

As far as the homogenized thinking, I’m sure you were talking about the other sites you must visit to get a broad spectrum of opinion from. I’d say your comments leveled about folks here trying to “homogenize thinking” more closely fit DU and Kos. It’s hard to tell though because a lot of what I try to post never gets through moderation. But then most folks like to blog where there are at least “like” thinkers. Not lock-step but like thinkers.

Maybe Bapster was just trying to make a point that we need to be wary of “mediocrity” in our candidates public discussions. If he or she really wasn’t a troll, then fine. They would just go into my “with friends like these”, book.

To me though, it’s knowing their positions and not really being as hung up on the way they say it. The manner in which President Bush has spoken over the last 7 years which some fine Republican say they cringe over is nothing compared to the manner in which he was taken the war on terror to the enemy and helped to keep this nation from a second terrorist attack.

Everything else is nuance.

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 9:40 AM

Ya wanna talk stupid? Check this out and pass it on.

lisalj on October 1, 2008 at 9:38 AM

lol, thanks!

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 9:46 AM

The more I re-read Couric’s question, the more sure I am that it was a set-up.

There are those here who (erroneously) claim that it was a softball question – akin to “if you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?”

However, if you look carefully at the question, it isn’t the simple and benign “whatcha reading?” that one would think.

And when it comes to establishing your world view, I was curious, what newspapers and magazines did you regularly read before you were tapped for this to stay informed and to understand the world?

Notice the bracketing interest in world view.

This question was NOT about what’s on her reading list.

The question is about how much she knows about the world.

I would counter that one’s worldview is not shaped by magazines and newspapers, but by upbringing, experience and their faith.

This question, though, reeks of the East Coast liberal elitism that believes that they are ‘worldly’ people because they read the ‘right’ newspapers and magazines, attended the ‘right’ college and eat at the ‘right’ restaurants.

Remember, it wasn’t just “what newspapers and magazines do you read”…

…but instead it was “what newspapers and magazines do you read that help you to stay informed and to understand the world?

And if you believe that Katie wouldn’t have followed up any citation with some snobbish comment about how little that periodical “understands the world”, well then I have a bridge to sell you.

The question was an attempt by Couric to show the world that this backwoods hick is unsuited to be a VP candidate because she lacks the ‘worldly’ intellectual influences that the liberal elite daily partake of.

Gov. Palin wisely saw this and countered by not naming names and defending Alaska as a place that is NOT a backwoods, unintellectual and isolated place.

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 10:08 AM

I just emailed The News Hour editors and the cc’ed the Debate Commission that Gwen Ifill should recuse herself as moderator due to conflict of interest. It likely will end up in the bit bucket, but, well, who knows…?

dufflepud on October 1, 2008 at 11:20 AM

The farther left Palin goes the happier the so-called conservatives get. Don’t cave into the media pressure Sarah. Stick to your guns. You were brought on to the McCain ticket to meet the needs of true conservatives. Don’t move to the center now to meet the needs of the immoral media.

apacalyps on October 1, 2008 at 12:22 PM

The farther left Palin goes the happier the so-called conservatives get.
apacalyps on October 1, 2008 at 12:22 PM

How, exactly, is Palin moving “left”?

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 12:40 PM

First off, I think Palin’s better than them all, McCain, Obama, and Biden, when it comes to the issues, and I still support her, that said, I didn’t like this Couric interview because it felt like she was bending on some of the issues in an effort to win voters from the center/left. Y’know, when Couric asked, “What about rape or incest when it comes to abortion?” I wish she would just be firm about it. Life begins at conception. Abortion is murder. You don’t kill the kid for the crime of the father! How about a drunk husband raping his wife when she doesn’t want sex. YOU COULD BE THE VICTIM OF RAPE! And then on homosexuality. Just say you can’t support nor encourage it. I’m not trying to isolate homsexuality as this particular wicked sin, and then use it as an excuse to be condescending toward another person, treating someone who’s gay almost as though they’re some sort of leper. ALL sexual sin is offensive to God. Homosexual or heterosexual sin, whether it is adultery, sexual promiscuaty, fornication, sex outside of marriage, or even lust, which Jesus said is “adultery of the heart” (Matthew 5:2). The Bible tells us that “No whoremonger…hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God” (Ephesians 5:5). And lastly, calling the fairytale of evolution science. Evolution is not science. The evolution theory as taught in our schools is one of the dumbest and dangerous religions in the history of planet earth. The best way to go about this is to take both evolution and Intelligent design OUT of the schools. Send your kids to private school if you want that taught to them. I fully understand it’s difficult for her when the media is out to get her. Of course the media is gonna call her a “Christianist” nut. She should throw it right back in their face and say, “Yeah, I am a Christian and proud of it! This nation was founded on Christian principles, and I won’t compromise my views no matter how hard you try to get me too!!” Let God take it from there. You’ll be surprised at the results! See Romans 8:31.

apacalyps on October 1, 2008 at 1:56 PM

How, exactly, is Palin moving “left”?

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 12:40 PM

-She thinks nobody should go to jail for abortion.

-She believes global warming exists.

-She has a gay as her best friend

-She reads “all” of the newspapers

philnewkirk on October 1, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Palin got to where she is on the strength of her character and personality. She did so in spite of her own party.

She will deliver in the debate, and she will deliver on the trail. She may not be enough to put them into the Oval Office, but the campaign will have been better off for having her.

spmat on October 1, 2008 at 3:04 PM

philnewkirk on October 1, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Phil, you don’t get to defind conservatism. Otherwise, and as aways with you, yawn!

hawkdriver on October 1, 2008 at 3:19 PM

“What do you read?”
“Katie, I’d read your ratings, but I don’t have a magnifying glass”

marklmail on October 1, 2008 at 3:41 PM

zing!

philnewkirk on October 1, 2008 at 3:42 PM

-heh-

You certainly like coming back for more punishment.

OK, then, let’s take a look at your “claims” one at a time.

-She thinks nobody should go to jail for abortion.

Well, first off the context for her response was a question about a girl pregnant through incest. I’m not sure if we can “clearly infer” that her response covered all incidents of abortion.

That said, I believe most conservatives are in the “legal but rare” category.

-She believes global warming exists.

As does most of the world, although, truth be told, there is a lot of developing scientific data showing that the earth is actually in a cooling trend.

That aside, I think the point you MEAN to make is in regards to whether global warming is man made or not.

Her answer to the question, though, is a perfectly conservative answer: “You know there are – there are man’s activities that can be contributed to the issues that we’re dealing with now, these impacts. I’m not going to solely blame all of man’s activities on changes in climate. Because the world’s weather patterns are cyclical. And over history we have seen change there. ”

To sum that up: Yeah, we’re probably not helping things, but the larger point is that global weather patterns are cyclical.

-She has a gay as her best friend

I think in this day and age most people on either side of the idealogical divide have friends, coworkers and/or family members who are gay.

Gov. Palin is living out one of the prototypical Christian conservative ideals: love the sinner, hate the sin.

-She reads “all” of the newspapers

Sadly, your points show more about you and your lack of caring/understanding of what conservatives actually believe…

…than it shows up Gov. Palin.

But, hey, I don’t think anyone is really surprised at that.

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 4:32 PM

-She thinks nobody should go to jail for abortion.

-She believes global warming exists.

-She has a gay as her best friend

-She reads “all” of the newspapers

philnewkirk on October 1, 2008 at 2:50 PM

I’ll be darn, I’m a liberal…or you are a fool…

right2bright on October 1, 2008 at 6:11 PM

I’ll be darn, I’m a liberal…or you are a fool…

right2bright on October 1, 2008 at 6:11 PM

I’ll take what’s behind door number 2, Monty, I mean right2bright.

Religious_Zealot on October 1, 2008 at 6:17 PM

The anti-Christianist bigots are at it again.

indythinker on October 1, 2008 at 11:12 PM