New McCain ad: Hey, you know who else blames Democrats for the mortgage mess?

posted at 12:33 pm on September 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

Starring America’s favorite newly minted right-leaning independent. Viscerally enjoyable, although Obama’s led in the polls on the economy for so long that I wonder if he and the Dems aren’t bulletproof to charges like this by now. In fact, this plays more like a congressional ad than a presidential one, with The One making a brief cameo in his accustomed role: “Notably silent,” out of harm’s way, careful not to commit to a position too strongly lest it complicate life for him down the road. Which may explain why he didn’t phone a single House Democrat yesterday to push them to vote for the bailout he allegedly supports.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Now thats what I’m talking about,now
keeping coming,get Barney and Dodd
into an ad,ASAP!!

I watched that video of Bill,a few days ago,
and boy is he turning on his own party,which
is a breath of fresh air!!

Here’s tidbit:From Atlas Shrugs Blog

NBC’s David Gregorys wife, was Fannie Mae’s
Executive Vice President,general counsel and
Corporate Secretary from Feb.2006 to Sept.
2008 and resigned early this month!!!

And you wonder why the media is silent!!!!!

canopfor on September 30, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Why didn’t they put this out a week ago, before the dems galvanized public opinion on this and McCain lost 10 points?
I am glad they are doing it, I just hope that at this point is not just going to be dismissed as McCain covering his behind. At lest it might put the responsibility question out on the public arena.

neuquenguy on September 30, 2008 at 2:12 PM

McCain today: “We have to act in a bipartisan fashion.”

Yup…it’s over, folks. McCain has no intention of unleashing the devastating broadside we hoped he would.

On Thursday, you will be treated to the spectacle of Sarah Palin being eviscerated, drawn and quartered on national television. She will be humiliated and her national political career will be over.

Anticipate a steady decline in the polls for McCain and the entire Republican party over the next thirty days, followed by a shellacking at the polls in November.

Prepare for the Obama Regime: Expanded federal programs; increased taxes; elevation of ACORN to cabinet-level status; the abolition of talk radio; a steady assault on the 2nd Amendment; drastic reductions in the military; retreat from Afghanistan and Iraq; a liberal SCOTUS majority; another terrorist attack on American soil, followed by a declaration of martial law, suspension of habeus corpus and the formation of a civilian “defense” force; four years of Michelle’s Obama’s ugly-ass angry glare at those who do not worship the One.

Resistance is futile.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:12 PM

And you wonder why the media is silent!!!!!

canopfor on September 30, 2008 at 2:10 PM

tgharris on September 30, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Nah….I don’t wonder. When you’ve sold your soul like they have, there ain’t much to say. – tgharris on September 30, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Au contrare, there is a LOT to say:

All hail Obama!
I love Obama.
Obama is good,
Obama is wise,
All hail Obama!

(repeat until eyes glaze over)

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Looks like Billy Jeff is courting the Cracker Vote.

cntrlfrk on September 30, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Is McCain just mailing it in now? I don’t see any fire in his belly anymore. He’s done almost nothing for two weeks now.

If he thinks this mild ad is gonna win back indies he’d better think again. He needs to pound the Dems non-stop day and night. Start naming names and pointing fingers. No more Mr. Bipartisanship! Start calling Bambi ‘Mr Fanny Mae’ or ‘Freddie Mac’s Guy’ in all his ads and speeches. Link this crap to Bambi or it’s all over. (and start talking depression under a tax and spend Socialist)

rigdown on September 30, 2008 at 2:21 PM

***

Resistance is futile.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:12 PM

The only reason to watch Palin on Thursday will be to understand the jokes about her in the following week. Talk about the wheels falling off a campaign. But cheer up; McCain is still touting bipartisanship. He now seems like Kevin Bacon’s ROTC character at the end of Animal House–the one screaming “All is calm” as he gets stampeded by the crowd.

BuckeyeSam on September 30, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Great Add, I have not seen it in Colorado though.

KBird on September 30, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Resistance is futile.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Ah well. They all see it, at least.

lorien1973 on September 30, 2008 at 2:25 PM

I’d like to see something like this ad:
~Rev. Wright spewing his best “Why I hate whitey..” stuff-
~voiceover: Obama’s words “…like a TYPICAL WHITE PERSON…”
~Obama’s praising Wright as his spiritual advisor, friend
~voiceover: Obama’s words, “…like a TYPICAL WHITE PERSON…”
~Obama’s denial of knowing about any of Wright’s racist sermons despite 20 years attending his church & 1,040+ of his sermons
~voiceover: Obama’s words, “…like a TYPICAL WHITE PERSON…”
If you find Obama’s words hard to swallow now, do you really want him running our country?

NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 2:11 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Au contrare, there is a LOT to say:

All hail Obama!
I love Obama.
Obama is good,
Obama is wise,
All hail Obama!

(repeat until eyes glaze over)

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:19 PM

No thanks. I have an aversion to projectile vomiting.

tgharris on September 30, 2008 at 2:30 PM

His campaign office told me that earlier today. I called up the local office and they said he’d only work behind the scenes. So I said, “he’ll lose the election then” and she seemed to agree with me. Ah well. They all see it, at least. – lorien1973 on September 30, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Let them go down with his ship. Shame about Sarah, though. Oh well.

I, for one, welcome our new socialist overlords. All Hail Obama!

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:30 PM

That picture of Obama while he was “notably silent” looks like he’s driving the bus (same one he’s thrown everyone under).

txsurveyor on September 30, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Democrats are to blame for the mortgage crisis. We’ve all seen the facts here. And what do the democrats think is to blame?

Ronald Reagan, in his first inaugural address, famously declared that “government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.” Twenty-seven years later, in the midst of the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, and seven-plus years into the reign of Bush and Cheney, Reagan’s anti-government battle cry should be on trial. But, stunningly, it is not. This needs to change. The presidential candidates’ view of the role of government should be one of the central questions of the last 36 days of the campaign. And it should definitely be a question they are asked at their next debate. Our economy is not the only thing that is crumbling. So is the philosophical foundation of the modern Republican Party. – Arianna Huffington, September 30 2008.

Democrats in government is the problem. They started this mess. It’s all been documented on these pages in all the days since this was first reported on. And the democrats want us to believe that it’s the republican party that is crumbling.

wise_man on September 30, 2008 at 2:31 PM

No thanks. I have an aversion to projectile vomiting. – tgharris on September 30, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Not to worry. There will be re-education camps to help you with your problem.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:31 PM

The only thing that will make Huffington’s prediction true is if the republicans lose the november election. – wise_man on September 30, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Then prepare to see Huffington vindicated. The Repubs will be slaughtered this November.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Ah well. They all see it, at least.

Mey, mey and when I was furious and said that McCain lost the election last thursday when he was talking about bipartisanship I was called a troll.Seems that I was right. I was thinking lately. Maybe the GOP nominated in 2000 the wrong republican. They should have nominated McCain that most likely would have lost to Gore. And that would have given the republicans the chanse of nominating in 2004 a realstrong guy, maybe Jeff Bush. Just an opinion. But Bush is a total failure and McCain is just a shadow of himself.

clemycali on September 30, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Enough of this we’re going to lose crap. Something’s brewing with McCain for sure. And as far as the upcoming debate, don’t write Sarah off. Remember it was Palin who pulled McCain’s ass out of the fire once to our great surprise. The woman has got it in her. And her lack of confidence lately is due to poor handling which John McCain himself has ordered a halt to. The new word is to “let Sarah be Sarah”. I think she’ll throw Joe’s chestnuts into the fire Thursday and turn her sites on Obama. She’s had enough of being handled and she’s got nothing to lose. HAVE SOME FAITH. IT AINT OVER TILL SARAH SAYS SO.

NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Too long. 30 seconds, people.

DaveS on September 30, 2008 at 2:39 PM

I am pissed.
BO is getting a total pass from the MSM. Total.
The Fourth Estate has become the Fifth Column.
And no one can do a thing about it.

This is getting to be like a bad, scary movie.

jimmer on September 30, 2008 at 2:43 PM

This is getting to be like a bad, scary movie. – jimmer on September 30, 2008 at 2:43 PM

It will get worse. Much, much worse.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:46 PM

HAVE SOME FAITH. IT AINT OVER TILL SARAH SAYS SO. – NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 2:36 PM

LOL. She said as much when she said “yes” to join McCain. It’s over, pal. Do yourself a favor and buy guns and ammo.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:47 PM

clemycali on September 30, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:48 PM

It will get worse. Much, much worse.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:46 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 2:50 PM

crr6 on September 30, 2008 at 12:39 PM

You do realize that Bush isn’t running this time right?

csdeven on September 30, 2008 at 2:51 PM

I admire your optimism. But I haven’t seen anything in McCain’s camp to assure me that something is brewing there. Maybe Palin is going to do well in Thursday’s debate but I am not going to hold on my breath.

I am pissed.
BO is getting a total pass from the MSM. Total.
The Fourth Estate has become the Fifth Column.
And no one can do a thing about it.

You don’t have to do a thing. We’ll be vindicated when Obama we’ll be impeached and Joe Biden we’ll be sworn in as president. The press is going to have a very long and ugly hangover. Its going to be funny. Maybe things are suppose to happen this way for the future good of the country. Sometimes you have to hit the bottom to raise up. Just a thought.

clemycali on September 30, 2008 at 2:51 PM

That’s the kind of ad that’ll make a difference. I hope that ad will not be just a web ad and will run widely in the battleground states.

eyedoc on September 30, 2008 at 2:52 PM

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

I’m afraid that I don’t understand what you mean. Explain yourself.

clemycali on September 30, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Give it a rest. We’re just worn out from yesterday. No one’s giving up the fight for real. Tomorrow we’ll be back on our game, slaying dragons etc. There’s too much at stake to let a scumbag racist criminal gang occupy the oval office. – NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Nah. I’m enjoying this too much. Now I finally understand what Allah is all about. Finally.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:53 PM

I’m afraid that I don’t understand what you mean. Explain yourself. – clemycali on September 30, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Simply stated, you are still a troll, but even a troll can be right now and then.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:54 PM

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:53 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Good to know that somebody who has a critical opinion is seen as a troll here.

clemycali on September 30, 2008 at 3:04 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Any idea how much of the Palin energizing effect is left in the base? I know over the last couple of weeks I have lost a bit of enthusiasm, and I’ve noticed the same on the blogs. There is a lot of pessimism creeping up. I hope you are right and this is just a passing thing due to a bad couple of weeks.
Obambi in the white house is going to be a lot worse than just four crappy years, I am afraid he will stalinize the political system in a way that will make it difficult to recover.

neuquenguy on September 30, 2008 at 3:06 PM

Glad you “got” Allah. Now how about you yell “Allahu Akbar!” and vaporize yourself? Then we can share in your enjoyment too, k? – NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Not THAT Allah, silly. Our Allah…ol’ Mr. Negativity himself.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 3:09 PM

Good to know that somebody who has a critical opinion is seen as a troll here.

clemycali on September 30, 2008 at 3:04 PM

clemycali, are you new to HA? I’ve been hear since almost the beginning and I don’t recognize you nor do I know if you’re a troll or not, but please don’t make any assumptions about us based on one idiot.

NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Good to know that somebody who has a critical opinion is seen as a troll here. – clemycali on September 30, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Glad I could be of assistance, Clem. :-)

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 3:10 PM

don’t make any assumptions about us based on one idiot. – NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Ouch. That hurt, K. I never called you an idiot. Geez…

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 3:19 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 2:50 PM

neuquenguy on September 30, 2008 at 3:06 PM

WE ARE AMERICANS, THE LUCKIEST PEOPLE ON THE PLANET! WE DON’T GIVE UP. WE JUST NEED A NAP OR TWO. THEN WE WILL BE IN FIGHTING SHAPE AGAIN. THIS ECONOMIC CHAOS WAS SUPPOSED TO BRING THE WORLD TO AN END OVER A WEEK AGO. DIDN’T HAPPEN. DON’T LISTEN TO THE CRAP-FOR-LUNCH-CROWD. GO FOR A WALK, LISTEN TO SOME GOOD UPLIFTING TUNES, LOOK UP AT THE SKY AND THINK ABOUT ITS CREATOR. EVERYTHING WILL GET BETTER VERY SOON. BELIEVE IT. WE ARE AMERICANS!

NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM

It will get worse. Much, much worse.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Manly,

Take your medication, now!

I hope you get better soon.

Right_of_Attila on September 30, 2008 at 3:22 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 2:50 PM

I don’t disagree with your characterization of Obama’s gang. But when the GOP candidate, who exhorted us at the RNCC to stand up and fight with him, is unwilling to fight himself, how can anyone expect to shake up the middle of the country? McCain has tanked this thing, and now his campaign is gnashing its teeth over a debate that is irrelevant. Other than watching to find out what is at the heart of the next several weeks of Palin jokes, there’s no point.

BuckeyeSam on September 30, 2008 at 3:24 PM

EVERYTHING WILL GET BETTER VERY SOON. BELIEVE IT. WE ARE AMERICANS! – NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Soooooo…I can count you in as a delegate to the Second Continental Congress after Obama becomes chancellor president, right? You have spunk and energy. We need patriots like you.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Take your medication, now! I hope you get better soon. -Right_of_Attila on September 30, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Heh…looks like I picked a bad week to quit sniffing glue.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 3:31 PM

BuckeyeSam on September 30, 2008 at 3:24 PM

As I said above:
NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 2:36 PM

A N D

NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 3:31 PM

***

***

NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Again, no disagreement with your uplifting sentiments. But McCain’s been napping for the past two weeks. He’s two weeks past the time he should have begun wrapping this mess around Obama and his gang. Waddling around the swing states yammering about earmarks and tax policy will get McCain nowhere. He’s giving Obama, Frank, Dodd, and all the others a pass in the name of bipartisanship. By the time he wakes up from his nap, no one will believe him and he’ll merely be accused of going negative because he’s tanking. What an idiot.

BuckeyeSam on September 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM

I am a relatively new comentator here but I have been a long time reader of the site. I came here when Captain Ed moved. Anyway.
I was expected more open mind debates over the state of the campaign. Hiding the head in the sand its not a good strategy. I have never said that McCain is a sure looser or that Palin was a bad picl. I was just mad of McCain for loosing a golden opportunity to kill Obama’s chances. They can still turn it around but please somebody tell McCain to stop talking about bipartisanship and to give up supporting Bush’s failed bailout plan. It’s killing him, the campaign and the hole GOP ticket.

clemycali on September 30, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Not to worry. There will be re-education camps to help you with your problem.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:31 PM

They tried that in St. Louis, and met with considerable resistance.

tgharris on September 30, 2008 at 3:34 PM

clemycali on September 30, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Two weeks too late.

BuckeyeSam on September 30, 2008 at 3:36 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM

You are probably right. At least some of what Obama really means will sooner or latter become evident to the American people, even with the MSM covering for him 24/7. And when that happens, a majority of Americans will reject it, and McCain and his campaign will be irrelevant, because in the end it is going to be a referendum on Obambi. I hope.

neuquenguy on September 30, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Two weeks too late.

Better later than never Buckeye.I still hope and pray for it.

clemycali on September 30, 2008 at 3:41 PM

BuckeyeSam on September 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Wow, I sign on and see we have a cage match with Manly and K Street….guys, I have seen both your posts. You are on the same team. You are both brilliant enough to know that Obama is the worst thing that could ever happen to this country. Now.

I agree with you, Buckeye. He is still yammering about “bi-partisanship” like it is the great white hope….uh, anyway. He needs to get the truth out there about WHY we are in the pickle we are in. I watched him on Morning Joe this morning, a great oppurtunity to get his message out to the messiah’s masses. Unfortunately, he whined about his “bi-partisan” record and that he would do everything he could get this turkey rammed thru. I had to change back to Fox to stop myself from vomiting.

McCain: This is for you:

1. The democrats are NOT YOUR FRIENDS. AGAIN, they are not your friends. They have sold you out. Did you not get the memo? See Harry Reid.

2. Nan HAD all the votes she needed to get the votes to pass this mess. She wanted a “bi-partisan” ha ha ha bill so that she could play chicken with the democrats. She never intended to have the votes from the democrats. She wanted to republicans to push this legislation thru so that she could put this bill into the republican’s lap. She lost the chicken game.

HornetSting on September 30, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Not to worry. There will be re-education camps to help you with your problem.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Did someone say something? No, I guess not. But for some reason I just remembered that I have to go out in the yard and clean up after my dogs.

NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Chicken with the republicans….got my chickens mixed up.
The dems are chickens. And THE DEMS CHICKENS ARE COMING HOME TO ROOOOOST!

Chris Dodd, Barney Frank, please come to the front office. WE have your fingerprints all over the debacle.
-FBI

HornetSting on September 30, 2008 at 3:45 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Yikes. *channeling Dr. Smith* Oh! The pain! The pain!

Don’t be so hard on yourself, K. I still admire your willingness to go down with the ship. The door to the next Continental Congress will always be open to you.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Manly, did you decide to fortify the bunker up in Jersey or are you still making plans to fly south?

HornetSting on September 30, 2008 at 3:47 PM

HornetSting on September 30, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Look for McCain to get tough later today:

Dammit, now is the time for us to act in a bipartisan fashion! I entreat my Democratic friends from across the aisle to join me in this noble endeavor.”

I know I certainly feel emboldened.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 3:48 PM

HornetSting on September 30, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Seriously, Hornet? Waiting and watching. When things get dicey I suppose I’ll abandon the homestead and flee south. Got nowhere to go and no one I know once there, so it’ll be an adventure.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 3:50 PM

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Heh.
Maybe they are planning a “Shock and Awe” for Thursday night. I hope….HOPE.

HornetSting on September 30, 2008 at 3:51 PM

They will welcome you.

HornetSting on September 30, 2008 at 3:52 PM

HornetSting on September 30, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Heh. She will be eviscerated within 40 minutes. After the slaughter, Biden will field dress what’s left of her corpse. HotAirHeads will wail in mourning. Manly will be too drunk to notice either.

I hope the folk in TX are as nice as you.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 3:53 PM

They will welcome you.

HornetSting on September 30, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Tell them not to get to close. Haven’t you heard, ManlyRash has “found Allah” and is about to become a puff of blue smoke (“Allahu Akbar!”) on his way to getting his 72 virgins.

NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Come on, let’s see what happens. Biden is an idiot. His big mouth will end up swallowing his whole head. I plan to have a plethera of margaritas available for either celebration or just plain forgetting. But, let us not throw in the towel now. We have been disappointed before. Good always overcomes evil…eventually.

HornetSting on September 30, 2008 at 4:00 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM

neuquenguy on September 30, 2008 at 3:36 PM

neuquenguy, EXACTLY! NOW, THAT’S THE SPIRIT!

NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 4:02 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 3:59 PM

And in this corner…weighing in at…..

K, you guys are on the same team. Things are just a little crazy right now. I enjoy BOTH of ya’lls posts.

BTW, you know the jihadists are a bartering people…..90 virgins, no 88 virgins, 92 virgins, no 60 virgins, 72 virgins….SOLD!

HornetSting on September 30, 2008 at 4:04 PM

No doubt, I hope that the American people that plan to vote for the One pull their heads out of their collective asses, but don’t count on it. They are easily led sheep. It doesn’t take a lot of nerve to go with the one that EVERYONE is talking so grandly about.

Not everyone was on board with McCain, but I know he is our best hope for a continued free nation, a beacon of hope in a dark world.

My only wish is that he start acting like he wants to win.

HornetSting on September 30, 2008 at 4:07 PM

HornetSting on September 30, 2008 at 4:00 PM

As I said in my earlier post- not directed at you, HornetSting. Save me a margarita, k?

NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 4:15 PM

Doh! What a killer! Love it! What will Bubba say next?!

Badger40 on September 30, 2008 at 4:18 PM

I hope we’re right, K. We need some HOPE and not the “Marxist kind”.
But, Manly also has a point. McCain has been trying to lose this election, and I’m not talking about “suspending” his campaign. He just cannot see that the democrats HATE him. He is against them and yet, he is still trying to drink from the same kool-aid pitcher.
I’m not sure where this is all going, but I really want to see us win. I don’t think I can handle 4 or heaven forbid, 8 years of UH’s and the adoring MSM.

HornetSting on September 30, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Doh! What a killer! Love it! What will Bubba say next?!

Badger40 on September 30, 2008 at 4:18 PM

“Come on over, Sarah. Got a cigar for ya’”. He is a skank, but he is our skank right now, huh? Bubba makes a strange bedfellow….ewww.

HornetSting on September 30, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Manly:

Be a hero!

Vince on September 30, 2008 at 4:28 PM

McCain should run this ad in all markets from now until the election. THIS is the ad, everyone needs to see.

katablog.com on September 30, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Manly:

When you are the minority, you do have to act in a bipartisan fashion. There are some young blue dogs out there from places like here in Indiana that had nothing to do with all that stuff Dodd and Frank were doing back in the 90′s. They might be persuaded to work with someone from the other party. They have to do it on a state level all the time.

Terrye on September 30, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Hornet:

I don’t think you are right about this. I am sure that John McCain knows exactly how those people feel. He lives in that world. But at the same time people just seem to completely ignore the fact that the Republicans are a minority. This is not a figure of speech or a demographic, they do not have enough votes to do anything without the cooperation of at least a few Democrats. That is what the numbers are.

I don’t think McCain is trying to lose the election. He did not ask for this economic crisis to jump up and bite him on the butt right now. And a lot of the people who seem to think they know better than him how to run for office have no experience at this kind of thing at all.

Terrye on September 30, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Yeah, Terrye, he didn’t ask for this economic crisis to jup up and bite him…
But, it would be nice if HE, of all people, would name names and tell the American people who is at fault for this mortgage debacle….
People are LIVID about this bailout and if they knew exactly WHY this happened, F/F and the Acorn issue, along with the arm twisting of the dems to give people who were never going to be able to pay back these mortgages a no money down home….I believe the American people would revolt against the dems.
But, our candidate continues to rail the “Bi-partisan, gee shucks darn, those dems…my friends” line. He needs to grow a backbone and fight back. Or, he can sit in the corner, like he is now, and watch The ONE become president.

HornetSting on September 30, 2008 at 5:16 PM

I should have clarified that. I was thinking about the off shore drilling. The Democrats that joined Republicans did so for their own interest. Maybe the same approach could be used here. It has nothing to do with you they do or do not like.

Terrye on September 30, 2008 at 5:16 PM

HornetSTring:

If McCain started going on about Dodd and Frank and all that it would not make the slightest difference. People would just think it was a partisan attack in an election, it might even backfire. After all when Republicans had the majority in Congress they did not do much to stop this.

In fact McCain was one of the few Republicans who went on record to try and reform the system. Where were the other Republicans when he was doing that?

I know we can’t count on the news media to do their jobs and tell people exactly what happened here, but what McCain needs now is a plan that can work and that can pass. For that he needs to have some cooperation from some Democrats.

As far as people being livid, George Bush could have gone in front of the public in 2004 or 2005 and told them this was going to happen. Just like he told them that social security needed reform. They would not have listened. Too many people were making money. So they can be livid, but they can also make an effort to educate themselves about how this came about. If they care that is.

Terrye on September 30, 2008 at 5:25 PM

Terrye on September 30, 2008 at 4:56 PM

It’s that kind of thinking that put the Republicans in the minority, Terrye.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 5:35 PM

Manly: Let’s say your right and everything goes to hell in a handbasket. What are you accomplishing by your negativity? Sure, you can say I told you so but I would rather you channel that negativity into maybe a constructive plan or idea to pull the nuts out of the fire.
Be a hero! – Vince on September 30, 2008 at 4:28 PM

I used to be like you, Vince. Then I got mugged by McCain. You can have him and the Obama presidency. There are bigger battles ahead.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 5:37 PM

Tell them not to get to close. Haven’t you heard, ManlyRash has “found Allah” and is about to become a puff of blue smoke (”Allahu Akbar!”) on his way to getting his 72 virgins. – NightmareOnKStreet on September 30, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Aw, c’mon K. Let’s be friends…you know…in the spirit of bipartisan cooperation.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Thank you, they are. Texas women are feisty, though. We don’t take guff off anyone. – HornetSting on September 30, 2008 at 4:00 PM

You are a sweetheart, Hornet.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 5:40 PM

The commentors here at Hot Air are great people, but they are not a typical cross section of America. What sounds like a winner to some of us, might not work with a national audience. – Terrye on September 30, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Shyeah…because we can see how well he is doing with the typical cross section of America.

Here’s a clue: conservatism works every single time it’s been tried.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 5:42 PM

Sorry, working on two things at once…

Manly, thank you. You are too kind. You had me at “Revolution.”

Terrye. I understand where you are coming from. “Bi-partisanship will win the day”. Unfortunately, the other side is tearing us apart with partisan sniping. All I am saying is that I am tired of fighting out here in the trenches while our elected representatives forget to put on their stones before they go off to battle. That’s all.

Oh, and the Americans that are voting for the One will never “educate” themselves. They are too busy waiting for the next season of Real World and American Idol.

HornetSting on September 30, 2008 at 5:55 PM

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 5:37 PM

I don’t understand why you feel “mugged” by McCain. He is behaving exactly as I would have expected him to behave during this financial crisis. He prides himself in putting the needs of the country first and in being able to work across the aisle. For many people McCain’s ability to tone down partisan rhetoric for the good of the country will allow them to vote for him, even if they normally vote Democrat.

The PUMAs loathe Obama because he is inexperienced and a political thug. Except for the most strident pro-”choicers” (who are probably in the younger Obama-leaning age group anyway), McCain represents a reasonable alternative to Obama.

There is a vast silent population in America whose views are not reflected in lawn signs, bumper stickers, or polls. Regular middle-of-the-road people who live their lives within their financial means expect government to do the same — they do not want a tax and spend liberal like Obama. Regular folks who treat their neighbors with courtesy and respect do not appreciate being called racists based on whom they support for office or “clingers” because they own a gun or go to church. Ultimately, these folks want to live their lives and pursue the American dream in peace and security — I do not think they will trust Obama to keep them secure.

At the end of the day, McCain needs to be true to himself and let the chips fall where they may. Personally, he showed me a lot when he picked Palin. It is too early to give up on her or McCain. I’m content to let McCain be himself — a “centrist” who at least shows a willingness to consider more conservative viewpoints. The difficulties Palin has experienced in recent interviews show us what happens when a candidate is overly coached. They both — McCain and Palin — need to be themselves and communicate as directly with the people as possible.

Y-not on September 30, 2008 at 6:07 PM

At the end of the day, McCain needs to be true to himself and let the chips fall where they may. – Y-not on September 30, 2008 at 6:07 PM

At the end of the day on November 4 McCain will still be a senator and Sarah will be returning to Alska, where she will fade into obscurity.

But hey…at least McCain was true to himself. That’s gotta count for something, right? Right?

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Obama is in a fantasy land and what astounds me is that all he speeches are written for him, he is only a figure head for his party and the promises he is throwing are impossible. If he gets to the Oval Office he will be one third of the power of the USA and he thinks he’s the second coming of Christ.

mixplix on September 30, 2008 at 6:39 PM

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Y-not on September 30, 2008 at 6:45 PM

How do you feel “mugged” by McCain? Mugged implies “taken by surprise” (to me, anyway). What has surprised you about McCain’s behavior? – Y-not on September 30, 2008 at 6:45 PM

He promised a fight in his acceptance speech. Today, he gave up the struggle. Sounds like a mugging to me.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Such a great ad but it is about a week late.

Yakko77 on October 1, 2008 at 1:24 AM