Madia campaign has second thief caught

posted at 8:40 am on September 30, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Last week, the Ashwin Madia campaign got caught stealing the lawn signs of their opponent, Eric Paulsen, in Minnesota’s 3rd Congressional district.  Yesterday, another campaign worker found himself in trouble for theft — the theft of a little girl’s scooter.  Sean Folstad, a 22-year-old worker who got himself arrested during the Republican convention, claimed that a call of nature forced him into a life of crime:

A DFL campaign worker was arrested after he took a girl’s scooter from her backyard while canvassing.

22-year-old Sean Folstad went into the backyard of Bruce Ackerman and took his daughter’s scooter.

A few minutes later and a couple of blocks away, Champlin police caught Folstad at Northland Park.  He told police he needed to use the restroom and the scooter was the fastest way to get there.

That was Folstad’s story.  In a video report from the local Fox station, Ackerman told a much different story.  The family noticed Folstad staring at the house from across the street wearing a Madia for Congress T-shirt, and assumed he would be knocking on their door shortly.  Later — when he didn’t knock on their door — Ackerman saw Folstad doing circles in the street on their daughter’s scooter.  The family called the police, who tracked Folstad down to the park and cited him for theft and disorderly conduct.

And how did Folstad know from looking at the Ackerman house that the scooter was the “best way” to resolve his call of nature?  The scooter was behind the house, and not in view.  What was he doing behind the Ackerman house in the first place?

The Fox report notes that Folstad had some strange videos on YouTube.  They’re mostly harmless spoofs of horror movies, less significant than the report implies.  The arrest at the RNC should have been a little more revealing, given the circumstances of the anarchist-led illegal protests, but that could have well been a badge of honor for Folstad with DFL activists.

The DFL fired Folstad as soon as they found out about the incident. Unfortunately, as Michael Brodkorb notes, their own officials set a poor example.  The lawn-sign thief driving the Madia communication director’s car turned out to his wife.  When their leadership sets such an example, why should we be shocked when their workers follow it?

Comments

A motley crew.

Dr. Manhattan on September 30, 2008 at 8:45 AM

Taking from others is the liberal way of life. Why should anyone be surprised when the taking gets a little more personal.

MarkTheGreat on September 30, 2008 at 8:45 AM

Cracker-Future leaders of the DNC

Mercy4Me on September 30, 2008 at 8:45 AM

The lawn-sign thief

can you legally call her a thief? like I said… no law against picking up trash…

Kaptain Amerika on September 30, 2008 at 8:47 AM

Liberals steal from the innocent. That is what they do best all the time.

jencab on September 30, 2008 at 8:48 AM

Communists don’t believe in personal property…I’m just sayin’

Geministorm on September 30, 2008 at 8:49 AM

It’s becoming evident that nothing is out of bounds for these people and democrats in general. The democrats in Congress have been working to collapse the US for decades and their supporters feel the law only applies to others. To them, the ends justify the means.

Brownshirt revival in a democrat HQ near you!

darwin on September 30, 2008 at 8:51 AM

He was just taxing the scooter!

He says he was in the “wrong place at the wrong time”. No, that’s what happens when you get hit by a runaway bus.

Nethicus on September 30, 2008 at 8:56 AM

It the dimwitocrats at their best!

grapeknutz on September 30, 2008 at 8:58 AM

Someone stole my Bush/Cheney sign out of my yard, so I printed up a bunch of “Celebrate Diversity” flyers and posted them on the telephone poles around my uber-liberal block. I didn’t mention who my sign was for, but rather encouraged its return as a “celebration of diversity”… of thought.

I haven’t put up a McCain sign, but if I do I might sharpen the edges first with a file.

saint kansas on September 30, 2008 at 9:01 AM

at least he stole a scooter and did not leave a carbon foot print

custer on September 30, 2008 at 9:02 AM

You can tell he’s a liberal just by looking at him.

Jaibones on September 30, 2008 at 9:03 AM

He took a little girl’s scooter? Forget that, he looks like he should be kept away from kids in general. The Youtube clip clinches it.

I would put big money down that if you went in that dude’s basement you’d find some pretty scary things.

watchmen on September 30, 2008 at 9:05 AM

Radical progressives (Democrats) have no respect for the law of the land? I’m shocked.

Hopefully this valued anarchist will get a Clinton appointee to the bench and scooter himself to the next event. Maybe he got college credit for stealing the scooter?

Hening on September 30, 2008 at 9:05 AM

Hmmmm. Inthe photo on the front page the perp looks like a young version of Keith Olbermann.

ManlyRash on September 30, 2008 at 9:07 AM

at least he stole liberated a scooter and did not leave a carbon foot print

custer on September 30, 2008 at 9:02 AM

Hening on September 30, 2008 at 9:09 AM

From those according to their scooter ownership to those according to their need of a scooter.

TheSitRep on September 30, 2008 at 9:10 AM

Kaptain Amerika on September 30, 2008 at 8:47 AM

We’ve been through this before, it depends on the area as to whether the signs were “trash”. I will wait to hear from folks in Minnesota. In Florida or at least the area I live the signs would have been legal and she would have been stealing.

Cindy Munford on September 30, 2008 at 9:14 AM

saint kansas on September 30, 2008 at 9:01 AM

I’m going to buy a few of those little boxes of razor blades, and insert them with the edges out all along the edge of my yard sign (use pliers for safety!)

If anyone tries to steal it, I’ll know who by the nasty cuts!

>:)

wearyman on September 30, 2008 at 9:15 AM

I think there’s only one way to settle this.

Sean Folstad. Bruce Ackerman. Cage match. Now.

saint kansas on September 30, 2008 at 9:18 AM

“This is a little girls’ bike. This is a bike for a little girl!”

Coronagold on September 30, 2008 at 9:26 AM

Mucking Foron.

Tommygun on September 30, 2008 at 9:29 AM

Hey, what are a few signs or a scooter when the Dems can try and steal elections.

rbj on September 30, 2008 at 9:30 AM

What kind of terrible reporter is that… seriously, who wears sunglasses on their head during an interview?

Abby Adams on September 30, 2008 at 9:32 AM

To the thief who stole the radioactive lawn flamingoes from my yard: I hope you’re seeking medical attention.

whitetop on September 30, 2008 at 9:34 AM

Meet the new face of the once-great Democrat party.

jeff_from_mpls on September 30, 2008 at 9:37 AM

Stupid is as stupid does.

pilamaye on September 30, 2008 at 9:39 AM

I hate these people. They are low lifes and I don’t want them on my property for the very same thing that happened here: they are looking for bikes and other property they can steal. I will tell them to leave and they give me some crap that they have the right to be there. Uh huh. I ask who they are representing, and they give you the latest front name for moonbat.org.

Blake on September 30, 2008 at 9:40 AM

Tempe, AZ, mayor Harry Mitchell was also caught stealing campaign signs. How did the voters punish him? They elected him to the US House of Representative.

jgapinoy on September 30, 2008 at 9:40 AM

You can tell he’s a liberal just by looking at him.

Jaibones on September 30, 2008 at 9:03 AM

Nay. He just looks like a stupid kid. However, he talks just like a narcisistic liberal.

It was simple miscommunication. The scooter owners failed to understand his message when he was riding the girls scooter to the toilet. We should all remember that if someone is leaving the scene with our goods. We shouldn’t misunderstand their message. /sarcasm

shick on September 30, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Hmmm, was the upstanding, young, misunderstood, in the wrong place, gentleman giving us the bird toward the end of that video?

Candy Slice on September 30, 2008 at 9:45 AM

What a stupid little weasel. “Uh I think it was just a misunderstanding…”

Does the little $hit think everything he sees belongs to him??!

4shoes on September 30, 2008 at 9:50 AM

Keep up the good work fellas. The MNGOP thought they would have to work hard to defend this seat. But first you guys passed on your best candidate Terri Bonoff. Then you stole some Paulsen yardsigns and got on TV. Now you’re actually stealing from your constituents, and it’s not event April 15th, yet!

IR-MN on September 30, 2008 at 9:58 AM

(D) Harry Mitchell settled out of court for removing his opponent’s yard signs (Gary Richardson) in his AZ legislature re-election race. Mitchell went on to later oust J.D. Hayworth (R) to represent Arizona’s 5th Congressional District.

PIRACY
link @ Instapundit

4 Fronts for Pirate-Navy Battle as U.S. Descends on Captured Ship
By David Axe
Published on: September 29, 2008

Deep in what this weekend became the most notorious pirate hideout since Neverland, Somali buccaneers are currently hunkered down in the Indian Ocean with the biggest pillage of their biggest year: the Ukrainian cargo vessel Faina, loaded with 33 T-72 tanks, plus small arms, rockets and ammunition—all headed for Sudan, a U.S. Navy spokesperson confirmed this morning. As its USS Howard destroyer reached the area and more foreign ships descended on the hijacked boat, however, the U.S. Navy’s response to Thursday night’s capture may signal a new stage in this cat-and-mouse game of modern-day piracy.

…odd coincidence since McCain advised everyone @ debate to keep attention on the volatile Ukrain interests.

maverick muse on September 30, 2008 at 10:05 AM

yep, the little pri*k was flipping us off.

billypaintbrush on September 30, 2008 at 10:09 AM

yep, the little pri*k was flipping us off.

billypaintbrush on September 30, 2008 at 10:09 AM

I had my 19 year old daughter look at it and she agreed with me too.

It was bad enough that he STOLE a little girl’s scooter – but he has no remorse, no guilt, and flips us the bird. He’s a little narcissistic psychopath with no empathetic feelings.

At the very least – thank goodness the Madia campaign canned the jerk – but scary that he was approaching people’s doors.

Candy Slice on September 30, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Thieves, crooks, and liars – the first 3 words that come to mind when I think about the left.

madmonkphotog on September 30, 2008 at 10:20 AM

While we are all consumed by the potential Armageddon from the financial crisis, a much larger and lasting threat to our freedom gets little attention. Obambi and his goons have been showing us clearly by their Stalinist campaign tactics what we might have in store come January. Intimidation of critics, well orchestrated slandering campaigns, suppression of damaging news,destruction of political adversaries by any means, promotion of hatred towards conservatives, obfuscation, demagoguery, suppression of free speech, use of law enforcement for political purposes.
I don’t know it this will come to pass, but there is certainly the potential for it.

neuquenguy on September 30, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Republicans make, Democrats take.

unclesmrgol on September 30, 2008 at 10:44 AM

billypaintbrush on September 30, 2008 at 10:09 AM

Ha!

Yep… right around the 2:20 mark. The bird.

Abby Adams on September 30, 2008 at 10:45 AM

neuquenguy on September 30, 2008 at 10:30 AM

HA covered that a couple of days ago. The governor of Missouri went ballistic on BO for his tactics.
Precursor to the “Fairness” Doctrine?

jgapinoy on September 30, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Isn’t there a Death Penalty for this!(Sarc).

Ya,he’s innocent!

Heres a scene:

Gets pulled over by the police,under survallience by
video,pick-up truck,with a sh#t load of campaign signs
that have been pilfred from the other team,so full,its
spilling over the sides!

Guy(Liberal campaign guy)driving truck,What you
talkin about!(Sarc).haha.

Just remember,a few days before Nov.4,its Liberal
Democratic,flatting tires,and smash vechicle Open
Season on Republican cars and vans!!!!!!

canopfor on September 30, 2008 at 10:49 AM

Hang onto your candy kids!

Badger40 on September 30, 2008 at 10:52 AM

That was Madia’s wife in the first video of the sign stealer? She must have been scared to death that she was going to cost her husband the election, being caught stealing signs.
All part of the-”I’m not guilty of anything unless you can catch me at it.”-mentality.
Wow. My conscience works 24/7. I didn’t know there was a shut off switch.
This guy with the videos online stealing a kids bike? He has all the makings of becoming a Minnesota DFL State Senator someday.
The DFL usually just steals from constituents through prohibitive taxes, but a kids bike is a start.

Doug on September 30, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Doug on September 30, 2008 at 11:35 AM

I think he meant that it was the communication director’s wife… not Madia’s.

Abby Adams on September 30, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Bicycle scooter seat sniffer

Kini on September 30, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Abby Adams on September 30, 2008 at 9:32 AM

That’s our local Fox affiliate, who is totally in bed with the DFL (that’s the Dems to the rest of the country).

This happened in my city. Last Friday a Madia campaign worker strolled through our neighborhood doing a lit drop. He only went to houses where noone was outside (this was about 2:30pm). I was working in our yard, and he never came up to hand me anything.

Pussy.

Blue-eyed Infidel on September 30, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Oh yeah, the punk from Anoka? That’s your new Democratic party here in Minnesota. Since Anoka is just over the Mississippi River from us here in Champlin, maybe he felt he needed to take the scooter to scoot on home over the river as well.

I wish the ‘reporter’ from Fox 9 had mentioned that the ‘real estate attorney’ stealing signs was Madia’s Communications Director’s wife. That would have been an interesting interview.

Hey, maybe I should do his job, and ask Madia to explain this ‘clean’ campaign strategy to me!

Blue-eyed Infidel on September 30, 2008 at 12:49 PM

I heard the family made more than $250K a year so I’m pretty sure under President O!’s new economic program it was ok to redistribute their wealth. Folstad must’ve been confused by O!’s presidential seal, portrait, and coins and got a head start. Honest mistake.

/sarc

Y-not on September 30, 2008 at 12:54 PM

These folks are entitled to do things like this, because they care more than evil Bush Republicans, and because nothing is more important than making sure Obama is in the WH come January, right? Isnt that what we’re always being told when stuff like this happens?

The judge should throw the f’ing book at this little Stalinite. See what six months in county lockup does for his bladder control. Also, if I was the Ackermans I’d civilly sue the shit out of the kid, and name the local Obama campaign dweebs as co-defendants.

And…could this clown look any more archetypal of the brain dead leftoid who is too smart by half & thinks rules dont apply to him because he’s a “progressive” and “means well?”

Mike D. on September 30, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Help – I need more of this! Crazy, juvenile and no one was harmed! The apocolypse is not mentioned at all. It doesn’t take much these days to find enjoyment.

Fuquay Steve on September 30, 2008 at 1:12 PM

can you legally call her a thief? like I said… no law against picking up trash…

She wasn’t picking up trash. Signs that are illegally placed are not “trash” in Minnesota. The DOT retrieves the signs and impounds them, and notifies the campaign so that the campaign can retrieve the signs to post them properly. Unclaimed signs are trashed after the election.

h0mi on September 30, 2008 at 2:34 PM

can you legally call her a thief? like I said… no law against picking up trash…

Kaptain Amerika on September 30, 2008 at 8:47 AM

I still can’t believe you and Kemp and the rest of that bunch are taking the word of one loony moonbat caught in the act and flailing for a defense as if it’s true. At the very least anything said in that kind of situation – especially in the frantic way that woman kept repeating “it’s in a public right of way” over and over should be taken with a heavy dose of salt… if not outright called lying to its face.

Jeez, and I thought I was dense.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on September 30, 2008 at 3:11 PM

Big deal. When they are registering dead people and Mickey Mouse to vote, how bad is it to take signs and scooters? I wonder what the “Win at all Cost” dimmies will do when they win and the socialists take away their homes(mother’s basement)? My mom left a communist country to come here. She doesn’t know where to go if Barack Marxist wins. I’m up for Argentina. I always wanted to learn how to Tango……

adamsmith on September 30, 2008 at 4:12 PM

The lawn-sign thief

can you legally call her a thief? like I said… no law against picking up trash…

Kaptain Amerika on September 30, 2008 at 8:47 AM

If you look at a patch of grass and see a gum wrapper, a beer bottle, a cigarette butt and a brand new lawn sign and all you take is the lawn sign, it ain’t picking up the trash.

Guardian on September 30, 2008 at 6:20 PM

when someone puts something on the side of the road and they’re not coming back for it… it’s trash…

however I will submit I’m wrong… in view of the argument that they have a law for this exact circumstance… however every other state until they have said “law” their signs are trash in the public right of way… and yes if you’re going to pick up the sign as “trash” you damn well better be picking up the rest of the trash in the area…

my point is people… pick up some trash today… no not yard signs… but real trash… this country is filthy…

and I’m also sick of yard signs… on my way to the store I have 15 “Ron Paul for president” signs and two “Claire McCaskill for VP” signs… and one “Talent for Senator” sign from 2 years ago…

Kaptain Amerika on September 30, 2008 at 7:43 PM